PDA

View Full Version : Thor

CloudStrifer
2002-11-18, 06:37 PM
Anyone reads his comics? Are they any good? Whats your view?

Cliffjumper
2002-11-18, 10:48 PM
Never really dug his solo stuff - not a big fan of all the Norse mythology... I did try the newer series when it started, and have dipped in on occasion since, but seen very little that made me want to continue reading... however, in Kurt Busiek's Avengers he's a fantastic character...

ProckoZero
2002-11-19, 02:04 AM
I never liked his solo stuff either...until I picked up the book with the Thor vs. Thanos saga circa issue 23. Since then, I've been completely immersed in the Thunder god...and now that Odin is dead (seemingly for good) and Thor is creeping closer and closer to the "dark side" I'm not dropping it for anything. Five big thumbs up from me!

angloconvoy
2002-11-19, 12:15 PM
Procko's pretty much nailed it there. Saying that, I'm big on the whole norse mythology myself and always have been, so I'm slightly biased. But on the other hand, a lot of very weak material has come from the comic in the past, but now thor is begining to act as a true norse god of thunder should.

CloudStrifer
2002-11-19, 12:59 PM
Oh cool, so Odin is dead? How did he die and what comic is he in?

I so love norse mythology that I am going to get some whats the newest edition?

popediscordia
2002-11-19, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by ProckoZero
I never liked his solo stuff either...until I picked up the book with the Thor vs. Thanos saga circa issue 23. Since then, I've been completely immersed in the Thunder god...and now that Odin is dead (seemingly for good) and Thor is creeping closer and closer to the "dark side" I'm not dropping it for anything. Five big thumbs up from me!

I don't read Thor, but I'd like topoint out one thing. Odin can't be dead for good. There's a little thing called Ragnarok that he has to be alive for...

angloconvoy
2002-11-19, 01:53 PM
In that case there's something I'd like to point out to you. Its a comic and set of characters loosely based on norse mythology. One position taken by marvel (in earth x) is that the gods are beings shapedby mankind, and without mankind's belief the gods lose strength, which would imply no belief in ragnarok would equate to no ragnarok.

That said, its more than likely that they will at some point ressurect Odin anyways.

Cliffjumper
2002-11-19, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by angloconvoy
In that case there's something I'd like to point out to you. Its a comic and set of characters loosely based on norse mythology. One position taken by marvel (in earth x) is that the gods are beings shapedby mankind, and without mankind's belief the gods lose strength, which would imply no belief in ragnarok would equate to no ragnarok.

That said, its more than likely that they will at some point ressurect Odin anyways.

Hasn't Odin died/disappeared at some point in the past before? I could just be confused, I've only read scattered Thor books, and his solo stuff doesn't seem to impact on the Avengers all that often [there are exceptions like Masterson and his recent retirement, but you rarely get him saying something blunt like "Sorry I missed that whole business with Zemo, Cap, I was sorting out Loki, the bastard"]... The Earth X stuff [must... get... TPB] sounds rather Pratchett-esque :)

angloconvoy
2002-11-19, 03:22 PM
Its a long established belief really though. But I do like when the tortoise falls on the guys head.

Sir Auros
2002-11-20, 02:58 AM
Loki's better...oh wait, this is about comic books...