PDA

View Full Version : Your Top 5 Anime series (Movies included)!

Plasmodium
2002-12-09, 12:40 AM
Here are mine, and they wont be changing for a while no doubt.

#5: Sailor Moon - Score: 9.1/10

#4: Grave of the Fireflies - Score: 9.3/10

#3: Angelic Layer - Score: 9.6/10

#2: Ah! My Goddess - Score: 9.8/10

And my #1 anime series.....

*DRUM ROLL*

Yup, you guessed it:

#1: Love Hina - Score: 10/10

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

popediscordia
2002-12-09, 02:23 AM
Ok, no order going on here...

Hellsing

Gundam Seed

Ghost in the Shell

Giant Robo

GaoGaigar

Transfan
2002-12-09, 02:56 AM
In no particular order

Sailor Moon

Dragon Ball Z

Cardcaptor Sakura

Gundam Wing

and to kick it "Old School"

Astroboy_I must've seen every episode at least 10 times during it's multiple runs on the Canadian cable circuit

The Plant
2002-12-09, 03:01 AM
#1. Love Hina

nothing else matters. :D

wasabi
2002-12-10, 07:28 AM
I've been behind on my anime and it's kinda hard combining anime series with features....

Fave Anime Series

Robotech
(yes I realize that it's an American patchwork of 3 separate anime series but it was part of my growing up...)

Rurouni Kenshin

Fushigi Yuugi

Record of Lodoss Wars (OVA)

Fave Anime Features

Ninja Scroll

Spirited Away

Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust

Plasmodium
2002-12-10, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by wasabi
Spirited Away

Im going to watch this soon. And I highly doubt ill give it some uber score, just like all those other sobs did.

Ultra Magnus
2002-12-11, 01:18 AM
#5 Tenchi Muyo
#4 Farewell space battleship yamato in the name of love
#3 Starblazers
#2 Neon Genesis Evangelion
#1 Macross

Plasmodium
2002-12-11, 02:09 AM
Originally posted by Ultra Magnus
#5 dragonball
#4 Tenchi Muyo
#3 Starblazers
#1 Macross

If DB is your #5 pick I think you need to see some more anime. ;)

wasabi
2002-12-11, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by Plasmodium
Im going to watch this soon. And I highly doubt ill give it some uber score, just like all those other sobs did.

It depends on how you like Miyazaki, Plas.... I don't remember much of Totoro cuz I fell asleep... but I liked Kiki's Delivery Service and Princess Mononoke. Spirited Away falls in between the two. Not as kiddie-like as Kiki but more family-oriented than Mononoke...with traces of the odd and whimsical. Think of a Japanese Alice in Wonderland with somewhat dark overtones and symbolism.

I was supposed to see the sub version at the El Capitan theater in Hollywood with friends but got there too late. Instead, I saw the dubbed version and it is hands down the best dub ever!

Don't want to over-hype it for you. Just go see it in a theater if you can.

Nova-Ting Ranger
2002-12-13, 05:42 AM
Hmmm....

In no order:(Features)

NGE:EOE

Patlabor 2

Jin Roh

TF: TM

And most likely: Cowboy B.: Knockin' on heaven's door.

Shows:

NGE

Cowboy Bebop

Transformers

Original Gundam, Gundam 0080, Gundam 0083

Robotech

Plasmodium
2002-12-13, 05:44 AM
Originally posted by wasabi
It depends on how you like Miyazaki, Plas.... I don't remember much of Totoro cuz I fell asleep... but I liked Kiki's Delivery Service and Princess Mononoke. Spirited Away falls in between the two. Not as kiddie-like as Kiki but more family-oriented than Mononoke...with traces of the odd and whimsical. Think of a Japanese Alice in Wonderland with somewhat dark overtones and symbolism.

I was supposed to see the sub version at the El Capitan theater in Hollywood with friends but got there too late. Instead, I saw the dubbed version and it is hands down the best dub ever!

Don't want to over-hype it for you. Just go see it in a theater if you can.

Have you seen Grave of the Fireflies? I can tell already Ill like that more than Spirited Away. Best movie ever.

wasabi
2002-12-13, 06:13 AM
Originally posted by Plasmodium
Have you seen Grave of the Fireflies? I can tell already Ill like that more than Spirited Away. Best movie ever.

Haven't seen it yet but heard nothing but great reviews about it! My friend loves it but warns that it can get quite depressing. I will see it eventually. If you're expecting heavy, serious themes and issues with Spirited Away, uh don't.... Mononoke was more heavy-handed. Spirit is a bit bizarre but overall has a lighter, jovial feel. Miyazaki still continues with his ecological and environmental symbolism however.

Plasmodium
2002-12-13, 06:54 AM
Depressing is good. Although sometimes happy stuff is good too. Ive already seen Princess Mono, and I didnt really like it, too disney like. Bleh.

Alpha Trion
2002-12-20, 02:50 AM
Mononoke was far from Disney with the horrifying demon boars and a few decepitations.

My Top 5: The first four are in no order

Otaku No Video - a life-changing experience

Metropolis - Tezuka was a genius

Gunsmith Cats - far more fun than it has any right to be

Ranma ― - one of the funniest things you'll ever see

and number 1 is.................

OUTLAW STAR - simply the most amazing thing I've ever witnessed. This is what got me into anime and I still haven't seen one I like better.

Darth Shrapnel
2002-12-20, 10:41 PM
#5 Dragon Ball/DBZ (Didnīt like GT that much)
#4 Escaflowne The Movie
#3 Ninja Scroll
#1 Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust

Wildfire Herald
2002-12-27, 07:00 AM
5. Gundam Wing - cool, but I'm so sick of the bitchy hero stereotype that haunts anime.

4. G-Gundam - this series suprised the hell outta me. I first saw the gundams in Toyfare when they were previewing the toys before the show aired and I thought they were the stupidest things ever, but once I started watching it I found myself liking mostly the goofier designs, like Mandala and Cobra Gundams.

3. Neon Genesis Evangelion - The whole story concept kicked ass. I loved the idea that angels were not only imperfect but evil (to a degree, evil in man's eyes anyway) and the EVAs themselves were awesome. Unfortunately, it fell prey to the bitchy hero complex. And yes, I know it Shinji is a representation of Evangelion's creator's mind, he's still a whiney bitch,

2. Big O - Ok, I don't care if you didn't like it, I did. "But it's Batman with robots!" That's what made it cool. The fact that Roger Smith had to oftentimes use his intellect as well as Big O to solve mysteries was cool. The mecha designs were really retro but almost as if they were another dimension's idea of retro. Mysteries abounded throughout the series as to how Paradigm city came to be how it was and many questions were left unanswered at the series' end. I also loved the fact that almost every episode found a way for a fight to break out between Big O and a monster, it was like Power Rangers, if Power Rangers didn't suck. There were some truly evil characters like the mad scientist in Missing Cat and that guy in The Legacy of Amadeus. I also thought it was cool how every episode ended with the introduction of the next episode's name via the phone ringing, getting picked up, and Roger's voice stating the title. The music was half blues half rock with some chilling songs thrown in. When I heard that there were plans to make Big O 2, I was overjoyed. Of course, Cartoon Network dropped it to make way for Beating Dead Horse Z and more of the cartoon that in no way deserved to be on Toonami, the Powerpuff Girls....

1. End of Evangelion - Starts with a bang, gets really metaphysical by the end, but is really cool. The production type EVAs were more disturbing than the angels and Unit 2's victory then defeat by them was awesome. SEELE's violent takeover of NERV showed us why Evangelion hasn't been on Toonami and believe it or not that song that plays while Shinji is contemplating his last move is a real favorite mine (I found it on Kazaa labeled as the "Human Instrumality Project" but that may not be the real title.)

Plasmodium
2002-12-27, 07:07 AM
Evangelion, on Toonami....BWAHAHA...

It will never happen, although, Ive heard that the entire series was aired on some channel I forget the name of. Not in Japan, but in US! =-0

Darth Shrapnel
2002-12-27, 07:36 PM
Evangelion has been shown on Cartoon Network Australia before. But I doubt it will ever be aired in the US.