PDA

View Full Version : Best EVER major crossover.

Jetfire
2002-12-10, 08:49 PM
I'm gonna go for Crisis. EVery character was covered (more than anyother crossover) didn't over run. Not only had actural after effect's they were the biggest ever in any comic universe. And characters died for REAl.

Oh and it was a damn good read. Great story and Art.

Silly Cow
2002-12-10, 09:03 PM
I voted for Infinty Gauntlet, mainly because it was the first big crossover I' read after Secret Wars, and it just blew my mind off then. And it really isn't such bad reading nowadays. I'm just surprised they weren't sued by Star Trek for using the Reset Button of Doom(TM)

Actually I haven't even read Crisis on Infinite Earth, altough I'd really like to. Is it out as a TP?
EDIT: Nevermind. Found it in a finnish netstore. Costs a whopping 50.

popediscordia
2002-12-10, 09:12 PM
While I normally dislike crossovers I'm going with the Crisis on this one. It actually served a purpose, and managed the singular feat of not being awful.

Secret Wars comes second, because I remember it from when I was a kid.

Cliffjumper
2002-12-10, 09:19 PM
I voted Onslaught, which is great when ya know what bits not to bother with... Y'know, I didn't spot the Panther joining Onslaught til the other day? I thought he'd scarpered with the Black Widow... I generally prefer smaller scale crossovers, like the X-Men/X-Factor/New Mutant ones in the 1980s... X-Cutioner's Song rocked too... All the better for the X-Cutioner not being involved... Never that keen on Infinity Gauntlet, and ~War and ~Crusade were pathetic... Oh, Operation - Galactic Storm was great tooo... that was pretty huge... I might've picked it aside from the fact its existance means I own issues of Wonder Man.

popediscordia
2002-12-10, 09:26 PM
Fatal Attractions was easily the best X crossover.

Galactic Storm was just ridiculous. Any more parts and I'd need a small robot manservent to help carry it.

Silly Cow
2002-12-10, 10:21 PM
Does Fatal Attractions "officially" count as an X-over? I mean it really didn't span out to that many titles. And having Quicksilver in the strike force isn't exactly what makes story a crossover, does it?

popediscordia
2002-12-10, 10:24 PM
Good point. It was a long running story that ran in diffrent titles, so technically...

And X-Men 25 led directly into Wolverine 75. So it's a kinda but not quite full crossover. :)

Cliffjumper
2002-12-10, 10:44 PM
Yeh, but it was more a set of linked stories than a real cross over... there wasn't really any link aside from fancy covers, at least any more than there was from one X-book to another... Besides, though the X-Force one retains comedy value due to Magneto's humourously easy defeat of Cable [you are half made of metal, don't tak on the bloody living magnet solo!], the Excalibur part was dire, and the X-Factor one wasn't anything special, save Jamie's smashing murder-job on Mellencamp...

RID Scourge
2002-12-10, 11:48 PM
I liked infinity gauntlet.

Zath
2002-12-11, 12:27 AM
Voted Zero Hour.... coz it's the only one i've actually read.

*Gets ready to be flamed*

dead robot
2002-12-11, 08:38 PM
... the Infinity Abyss was a load of garbage. it wasn't really a crossover, but i just thought i'd mention it ...

Cliffjumper
2002-12-12, 12:04 AM
That was the recent 'Cosmic' maxi-series, wasn't it? I have a distinct disbelief in any comic with Infinity in the title, and tend not to buy... ;)

RID Scourge
2002-12-12, 08:10 AM
Just picked up Secret Wars today. Plan on reading it soon.

ProckoZero
2002-12-13, 02:25 AM
I vote Onslaught, barely beating out the unmentioned X-Cutioner's Song.

Ultimate Weapon
2002-12-13, 02:56 AM
I voted for Infinity Gauntlet as I am currently reading it. Would you include Kingdom Come and Marvels?

angloconvoy
2002-12-13, 11:09 AM
I did really like X-Cutioner's song. Is age of apocalypse allowed? If it is then that. Erm, there were a couple of midnight sons one's that I really liked too. Looking back I can see they weren't all that special, but they weren't cop outs and they actually had the courage to do things with some fairly major characters (like blade selling his soul for a chance to rid the world of magic, even though most things went more or less back to normal afterwards, two major characters had lost their souls, and one of them died soon after with no redemption type cop out. Actually, I'm gonna go back on myself and say they were pretty damn good, even if I'm the only one in the world who isn't a goth and still likes them

Silly Cow
2002-12-13, 09:47 PM
The poll was about best major crossover. X-Cutioner's Song and AOA were only X-overs, so I don't think they count here.

But as it was mentioned, best X-overs IMO are X-cutioner's Song and AOA, incidently.

Cliffjumper
2002-12-14, 01:03 AM
Yeh, those are probably my 2 favourite X-Men etc. crossovers... I loved AoA all over, the designs, the characters, the lot... anyone a bit upset when they put it all back?

X-Cutioner's Song was just a great well-paced story... terrific stuff... I liked Extinction Agenda too... Loved the X-Men section of Fall of the Mutants, not too hot on the New Mutants bit, yet to read the X-Factor stuff though it sounds cool...

Wolfang
2002-12-14, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by angloconvoy
I did really like X-Cutioner's song. Is age of apocalypse allowed? If it is then that. Erm, there were a couple of midnight sons one's that I really liked too. Looking back I can see they weren't all that special, but they weren't cop outs and they actually had the courage to do things with some fairly major characters (like blade selling his soul for a chance to rid the world of magic, even though most things went more or less back to normal afterwards, two major characters had lost their souls, and one of them died soon after with no redemption type cop out. Actually, I'm gonna go back on myself and say they were pretty damn good, even if I'm the only one in the world who isn't a goth and still likes them

I'm not a goth... I've been trying to get hold of old Nightstalkers & Midnight Sons Unlimited issues... and the Siege of Darkness x-over. When we say 'major', does that include the cross-company ones (e.g. Batman/Spawn, Silver Surfer/Superman, Marvel Vs. DC, etc)? Some of those are good...

Cyberstrike nTo
2002-12-16, 07:07 PM
Crisis on Infinate Earths it did one thing that none of the others did it left a lot changes its wake.

Although Infinity Gauntlet comes a very close second!

Originally posted by dead robot
... the Infinity Abyss was a load of garbage. it wasn't really a crossover, but i just thought i'd mention it ...

Are you nuts?! :glance: :eyebrow:
Inifinty Abyss was best the series Marvel pubished all year.

RID Scourge
2002-12-16, 09:25 PM
Are they going to make a TPB of infinity abyss? I've only seen issue 5 in stores, so I didn't bother picking it up.

Cliffjumper
2002-12-16, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by Cyberstrike nTo
Crisis on Infinate Earths it did one thing that none of the others did it left a lot changes its wake.

That's something I wasn't too keen on with the infinity ~ minis - the reset buttons at the end... Onslaught created a lot of changes, but most of them were effectively undone by Heroes Return...

dead robot
2002-12-17, 02:47 AM
... i liked the The Savage Dragon/TMNT crossover, even though it's not a major one ...

Jetfire
2002-12-17, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Quicksilver
That's something I wasn't too keen on with the infinity ~ minis - the reset buttons at the end... Onslaught created a lot of changes, but most of them were effectively undone by Heroes Return...

Nah. There was no reset button even if it reset the Uni (for continunity ourposes). Crisis is basically like if heros return never occured and the old universe was actually destroyed by Onslaught, and a LOT of characters died and are still dead and some major changes which hasn't really been reversed.
The original Green Arrow, Robin, the original Huntress, Supergirl, Flash etc. The changes took years to fully solve and it had a fairly down beat ending for the survivors.

DrSpengler
2002-12-28, 09:48 PM
The only "major" one I've ever read was Fatal Attractions.

Several of them were pretty lame and borderline boring. The only ones worth anything were Uncanny X-men, X-Men and Wolverine just because of their signifegince to the story.

I though Cable's mutilation looked cool but after that wore off I thouht "Is Cable really that stupid?"

Of them all X-Men was the best since it had the most profound effect on the series. Wolverine loses his admantium, Magneto is left a vegetable, Colosus chooses to stay on Asteroid M, and so on.

Unfortuantely, now that Apocalypse has put the adamantium back in Wolverine and Magneto is back to normal and Colosus is good again, none of that story meant ****.

I also though the Spawn/Batman crossover written by Frank Miller and drawn by McFarlane was pretty sweet, but not a major crossover.

And let's just forget that Altered Image ever happened.

Nova-Ting Ranger
2002-12-29, 05:56 AM
Originally posted by DrSpengler
The only "major" one I've ever read was Fatal Attractions.

Several of them were pretty lame and borderline boring. The only ones worth anything were Uncanny X-men, X-Men and Wolverine just because of their signifegince to the story.

I though Cable's mutilation looked cool but after that wore off I thouht "Is Cable really that stupid?"

Of them all X-Men was the best since it had the most profound effect on the series. Wolverine loses his admantium, Magneto is left a vegetable, Colosus chooses to stay on Asteroid M, and so on.

Unfortuantely, now that Apocalypse has put the adamantium back in Wolverine and Magneto is back to normal and Colosus is good again, none of that story meant ****.

I also though the Spawn/Batman crossover written by Frank Miller and drawn by McFarlane was pretty sweet, but not a major crossover.

And let's just forget that Altered Image ever happened.

Well. Magneto is dead, along with Colosus. Colosus died ridding the world of the Legacy virus, and magneto was killed by a mega sentinel before he had a chance to act.

Wildfire Herald
2002-12-29, 06:38 AM
Transformers and G.I. Joe! Whoo!

DrSpengler
2002-12-29, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by Nova-Ting Ranger
Well. Magneto is dead, along with Colosus. Colosus died ridding the world of the Legacy virus, and magneto was killed by a mega sentinel before he had a chance to act.

Why can't they take some iniiatve and kill off Toad?

I hate that guy...

Cliffjumper
2002-12-29, 09:12 PM
What, ya mean kill off a minor character who hasn't ever been taken seriously, or at least not since they were daft enough to let Stan Lee write the book [go on, someone claim he's great at writing X-Men...] instead of one well-loved fixture and possibly the best comic super-villain of the silver age? Cos what happened sounded more like initiative to me...

DrSpengler
2002-12-29, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by Quicksilver
What, ya mean kill off a minor character who hasn't ever been taken seriously, or at least not since they were daft enough to let Stan Lee write the book [go on, someone claim he's great at writing X-Men...] instead of one well-loved fixture and possibly the best comic super-villain of the silver age? Cos what happened sounded more like initiative to me...

Yeah, probably.

I just can't stand that little f*cker...

Spectre
2003-03-22, 07:44 PM
Crisis without a doubt is the best. You have the DC characters and art by Perez. What is not to like?