PDA

View Full Version : Confirmed, Preacher = not for me

Osku
2003-01-25, 04:14 PM
Í had read so many praising this series that I finally gave it a change. TPBīs:
"Gone to Texas" - few laughs, mostly WTF feelings, maybe itīll get better.
"Until the End of the World" - Doesnīt do anything for me. That redneck family, some kind of parody?
"Proud Americans", "Ancient History", "Dixie Fried" I missed before reading...

"War in the Sun" - Honestly I was disgusted. Starrīs story, inbred Jesusī bloodline, Custerīs and Cassidyīs dialogue on the car front etc. I quess the story just rubs me the wrong way. :confused: Am I the only one disliking this stuff?

BigMaki
2003-01-25, 04:23 PM
I've finished the first two books, and am loving them simply for the sheer blasphemousness of it all. But what I think I like best is the fact that the characters are all so well drawn. I was truly shocked with what happened to Tulip in the second book and pissed. I cared about what would happen to her. Same with Jesse. I don't tend to have that connection with many characters, even in Sandman stories. I will admit the serial killer arc from the first book was a little weak, but the thing with Jesse's family had me completely riveted.

From what I understand, things get more and more insane as the story progresses (according to a friend who has read the whole run). You can't get this kind of entertainment at the movie theater, or else somebody actually would have made The Sky Is Falling. It's a script about two priests who discover definitive proof that there is no God and go on a massive killing spree. Can't see that, or a Preacher adaptation ever being made...

Osku
2003-01-25, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by BigMaki
I've finished the first two books, and am loving them simply for the sheer blasphemousness of it all.
If I want to read blasphemous, Iīll stick to Pratchett & Gaimanīs "Good Omens" or France Anatoleīs "La Révolte des anges" (1914) [The Revolt of the Angels]. :p

Originally posted by BigMaki
But what I think I like best is the fact that the characters are all so well drawn. I was truly shocked with what happened to Tulip in the second book and pissed. I cared about what would happen to her. Same with Jesse.
I quess thatīs the problem. Zero connection to the characters in my case.

mkay0
2003-01-25, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by Osku
I quess thatīs the problem. Zero connection to the characters in my case.

Wow, the fact that I got so engaged in what the characters were going through was the reason that I liked the book. You sir, are the only person that I have ever heard that read Preacher and didnt like it (including my roomates girlfriend who hates all other comics).

angloconvoy
2003-01-29, 09:15 PM
Big lover of preacher. I'm a big fan of most stuff ennis and dillon do together. I did feel it lost its way a little towards the end but it ended nicely for what ti was meant to be. And cassidy is just such a great character. But given that I have the pvc set on my shelf in my bedroom you could say I'm slightly biased