PDA

View Full Version : Masters of the Universe: The Movie

Leader-1
2003-04-11, 02:21 AM
I have only seen bits and peices and pics, but it looks like a horrible suckfest. in anycase, should i rent it? i wanted to get input first, cause i already rented th G.I. Joe Movie. I kept thinking it will get better as i watch, but it sucked.so, MotU:tM good or bad.

Blitzwing
2003-04-11, 05:35 AM
I thought it was good in a cheesy kind of way. Haven't seen it for a good 5 years though.

Ultimate Weapon
2003-04-11, 06:03 AM
Oh yes, rent it and watch... hehehehehe

Brave Maximus
2003-04-11, 05:40 PM
Cheesy movie in a good way
umm, very conry and don't really stick with alot of the "established" stuff. and of course, they got Dolf Lundren to play in it so.....

But yeah, rent it
and then Rent Flash Gordon from the mid-80's I think, then turn your brain off and enjoy

Amarant Odinson
2003-04-12, 05:01 PM
That movie sucks. The only movie worse than that is Street Fighter: The Movie. Stupid Van Damm:mad:

Leader-1
2003-04-12, 06:09 PM
Okay, i saw it on T.V last night, watched Middle-End and it was a suckfest.

DrSpengler
2003-04-12, 07:11 PM
The end was awful, honestly. Did the director realise he was ripping off Return of the Jedi or was he just a hack? I rented it a couple years ago. Worst $2.10 I ever spent. Well, maybe not. That distinct honor goes to Dragon Power for the NES. What was I thinking...

Bombshell
2003-04-13, 06:50 AM
I first saw it a long time ago, and thought it to be pretty good.

This, of course, coming from someone who, at the time, and for the longest time since, knew jack s*it about He-Man.

Leader-1
2003-04-13, 03:28 PM
At least it made the G.I. Joe movie look good.

CounterPunch
2003-04-13, 05:10 PM
by the gijoe movie do u mean the animated one - cos thats not that bad - i dont know if theres a live action one or not
motu - got given it on video last year - its soooo bad its scary, worst film ive ever seen.

The Green Knight
2003-04-15, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by CounterPunch
by the gijoe movie do u mean the animated one - cos thats not that bad - i dont know if theres a live action one or not
motu - got given it on video last year - its soooo bad its scary, worst film ive ever seen.

That's nothing

http://www.x-entertainment.com/downloads/commercials/leonard.html

CounterPunch
2003-04-16, 12:39 PM
thats sooo bad its funny, not scary

dai-atlas2000
2003-04-19, 11:32 AM
Seeing as everyone else is laying the boot into the MAsters of the universe film relentlessly as it lies curled in a little ball on the ground, i think it's time for a bit of defence by myself. I love it - i have to say it's one of my favourite films.

Consider the number of attempts that have been made to convert tv-series into films - they rarely succeed and when they do - it is by playing with the tv-series formula and adding to it. Master of the Universe does just that - it takes many of the popular characters from the series:
- He-man
- Teela
- Man At Arms
- Skeletor
- Beast Man
- The Socceros
- Evil Lyn
And adds a few new ones:
- Blade - in the style of Jijitsu.
- Kragg
- That little dude with the long white hair
- Gwildor

Okays, so in the grand scale of things the number of older established characters far outweighs all the new characters.

Secondly, if you are critiscing the link with Earth - then don;t - He-man's mother came from Earth and there was an Earth cross over with Eternia in the He-man/She-Ra christmas special.

Thirdly, the He-man tv-series introduction new characters and locations on Eternia virtually every episode, who then intereacted with the established characters of that episode. Gwildor is no different - he just happens to be in a part of Eternia that we've not seen before.

I think the main critism of the movie is it's cheesyness factor - but remember - it's a comic book movie based on a cartoon series aimed at kids - if the movie had been made more adult then it'd have received equal critism for being too different to the tv-series in that respect?

Take a look at the special effects and the design of the characters in the movie - all excellent.

Masters of the Universe is special for me in that I first saw it at Christmas time when I was about 10/11 and it was great - it has that same magical feel that you only get with 1980s sci-fiction and fantasy films (the same feel can be found in films like Dune, Return of Jedi, Return to Oz and Terminator 1). I love the 1980s and this film is a big part of it. Look past the notion of a man running about in his underpants and appreciate that this is one of the better screen adaptions of a cartoon series which was far out in the first place.

:D

Wildfire Herald
2003-04-29, 01:45 PM
Ya know, that movie Cyborg was gonna be the sequel, until the MOTU movie bombed.

The Green Knight
2003-04-29, 04:46 PM
http://www.badmovies.org/movies/mastersu/index.html

"I HAVE THE POWER!!!" - Dolph Lundgren (He-Man)

*kicks Dolph in the balls and throws him into a woodchipper.

Shut up, moron...

Ultimate Weapon
2003-04-29, 10:22 PM
Good guys use blue lasers, evil guys use red lasers.

Starscream's Girl
2003-05-15, 01:30 AM
I saw that movie when I was a kid. I loved it when I was a kid....it's a kiddy movie.