PDA

View Full Version : A few questions and stuff on the cartoon

Lord Decepticon
2004-01-03, 02:00 AM
1.)First of all I've been wonderin' whats wit Skyfire da comic character is called Jetfire and so is the toy why call the cartoon character Skyfire?

2.)Why are such dumb lil' things drawn differently like Brawn has a mouth instead of what Prime has, Megatron's helmet is white instead of black.

3.)What is with Frenzy and Rumble they get their names switched up in the cartoon but not the toys or the comic another thing about the cassetes is Buzzsaw came wit' Soundwave one of the 1st toys but why does he not show up til Season 2 espcially for Frenzy as a bigger character after Countdown to Extinction.

4.)Why do they get the episodes outta order when they got re-released on DVD

5.)Was Reflector just a cartoon character cause I never heard of anything of him in the comic plus why did it take so long to release his toy

6.)Where the Quints only in the movie comic and if so why are they workin wit Unicron I thought the comic was based on the movie

Dead Man Wade
2004-01-03, 02:08 AM
1. Jetfire was renamed Skyfire because of some legal issues with the creators of Robotech.

2. The toys were used as a basis for the character models, however the animators made some asthetic changes. That's why Megatron also has no trigger crotch.

3. The people who made the series didn't care. It's that simple. Gen. 1 started out as nothing but a 22 minute toy commercial.

4. Don't know.

5. I have yet to see Reflector in a comic (not that that means much). The toy got yanked somewhere end of season 1/beginning of season 2.

6. The Quintessons played a major role in the third season. They never really appeared in the comic because the comic continuity had Primus as the creator of the Transformers, and not the Quints.

DrSpengler
2004-01-03, 03:16 AM
Originally posted by Lord Decepticon
4.)Why do they get the episodes outta order when they got re-released on DVD

Rhino released Seasons 1 and 2 in airdate order. The episodes themselves were originally airred out of order back in the 80's (Hence the Combaticons appear in Aerial Assault before their origin episode in Starscream's Brigade, also several of the "new" Decepticons appear in season 2 prior to Microbots where the Nemesis was exhumed and they were reactivated...though that point is left to fan speculation).

Season 3, however, was originally airred TOTALLY screwed up. Rhino chose to release the episodes in logic order, rather than airrdate order. Personally, I prefer the logic order to the airrdate order. Gives me less ofa headache.

Warcry
2004-01-03, 06:21 AM
2) When Marvel designed the character models, they had to make them quite a bit different from the toys, since a lot of the characters would have just looked stupid if they drew them like the toys. So a lot of the TFs ended up looking nothing like their toy versions.

3) Buzzsaw wasn't featured heavily in the cartoon because Hasbro wasn't worried about selling him. Since he was an accessory to Soundwave, everyone who got Soundwave got Buzzsaw, whether they wanted him or not. So they didn't need to advertize him. As for Frenzy, I would guess that they left him out so they wouldn't confuse people. After they screwed up the colour schemes, it would just be easier to use Frenzy as little as possible.

5) Reflector never appears in the comic as a character. However, his parts show up, either as art errors or genaric Decepticons. They show up in US#4, and possibly other issues.

6) The Quints appeared in the UK comics a few times, but they came off more as freaky aliens than as servants of Unicron, IIRC. Of course, Unicron was dead by then.
Also, the movie comic is based on the cartoon movie, but the movie never said that the Quints built the TFs. It never said what they were. It wasn't until FFOD that we were told that they made the TFs. So the comic simply interpreted the Quints actions in the movie a different way.

Stone Coldimus
2004-01-03, 07:18 AM
I'm glad Ironhide and Ratchet were drawn differently than their toys. I remember having a Ratchet toy and it was shocking. Not only was his face laughable, but he wouldn't stand up unless he had the back part of his ambulance. :mad:

I remember seeing Ironhide and Ratchet drawn like their toys in the first couple of comics, but thankfully they changed that soon after.

Ozz
2004-01-03, 08:48 AM
Comic adaptation of Transformers: The Movie was based on early version of TF:TM script, hence it has some scenes/dialogue which didn't made into final version of Movie. It's IMO one of the few values of comic adaptations of the movies (for example Batman Forever comic has original opening scene, while the film don't).

Anyway, in original script for TF:TM, in the scene where Hot Rod and Kup meet Kranix on Quintessa, Kranix says:

The world of the savage Sharkticons and their cruel masters the Quintessons. They hunt down those who try to escape the wrath of Unicron, and put them on trial.

Nevermore
2004-01-03, 10:37 AM
Yo bro, here are da answas ya expectin!

1.)First of all I've been wonderin' whats wit Skyfire da comic character is called Jetfire and so is the toy why call the cartoon character Skyfire?

Da Skyfire toy is originally a Macross Valkyrie (as compared to da otha TF which originated from da Takara toylines named "New Microman: MicroChange" and "Diaclone"), and since dat design was already used in da Macross anime (dat was used as a part of da freakin "Robotech" toon in da US), Hasbro cudn't use da design in da TF toon, so dey hadda redisin him an chose da change his name inda "Skyfire". Why da comic used da cartoon design yet kept namin him "Jetfire", I dunno.

2.)Why are such dumb lil' things drawn differently like Brawn has a mouth instead of what Prime has, Megatron's helmet is white instead of black.

As da otha postas alred sed, da toys look stoop and dats why da Marvel desinas (da Floro Dery chap an crew) chose ta make dem look more "humanoid".

3.)What is with Frenzy and Rumble they get their names switched up in the cartoon but not the toys or the comic

Dat was da cos for an endless debate in da Transfandom, peeps kept claiming "FIRRIB" (Frenzy is red, Rumble is blue, like in da toon) vs. "FIBRIR" (Frenzy is blue, Rumble is red, like in da toys). With da Dreamwave comic, dis debate seems ta have settled in fav of FIBRIR.

5.)Was Reflector just a cartoon character cause I never heard of anything of him in the comic plus why did it take so long to release his toy

Reflex was originally only released in Japan but later (ca. 1986) also available via mailorder in da US.

Denyer
2004-01-03, 10:47 PM
3.)What is with Frenzy and Rumble they get their names switched up in the cartoon but not the toys or the comicThe show production screwed up. Rumble was listed as red:

http://transformers.winterchill.com/bible/biblepage34.html

6.)Where the Quints only in the movie comic and if so why are they workin wit Unicron I thought the comic was based on the movie The TF:TM movie adaptation released by Marvel in the US isn't part of any regular comic continuity.

The UK Marvel comics reference some events from TF:TM, but we're never told if events happen in exactly the same way.

Snake
2004-01-04, 08:30 AM

6.)Where the Quints only in the movie comic and if so why are they workin wit Unicron I thought the comic was based on the movie

Because the Quintessons were a bad idea poorly executed. For the 3rd seasons, the writers changed around the Quintessons' roles in the TF mythos, and it was for the worst. Like Walky said

"Forget Wheelie. Forget Nightscream. Forget Robot Master. The Quintessons rule the country of Dumbass, and Wheelie et al are merely the citizens."

I think he hit the nail on the head right there. And of course, no quoting of Walky on the Quints would be complete without this gem:

"Well, case in point. We learn afterwards that the Quintessons created the Transformers. Pfffft. Hello? Excuse me? The Quintessons couldn't use a toaster if they tried. And I'm talking about giving them one of those really small cheap toasters with maybe one slot, a whole bag of bread, and an instructional video. They tried to use it as a masturbatory aid."

The things they were involved in were just awful. Like "Nightmare Planet"... what the hell? Never mind that they just waltzed into Cybertron with no problem, if you could somehow stick your enemies into a somebody's dreams, why not immediately shoot that person in the head and insure your enemies all die instantly.

I can't think of a single decent Quintessons episode, and that's rather sad, considering how much they focused on the Five Faces Of Dumbass. Hell, it made the themesong line "autobots wage their battle to destroy the Evil forces of the Decepticons" false advertisting for like half the season.

The Quintessons are best left forgotten.

Stone Coldimus
2004-01-04, 08:48 AM
Yeah the Quints were a bit of a waste. I think they were brought in because there'd been two seasons of Autobots V Decepticons and the writers felt a third faction would spice things up a bit. It probably sounded good in theory. :eyebrow:

Maybe if they had of made the Quints a threat then it might have been ok. They weren't very strong, and the Sharkticons were all they had. It's not exactly threatening to either the Autobots or Decepticons. The Quintessons supposedly created the Transformers so why couldn't they create some more bots strong enough to make their presence in the cartoon logical.

The idea of a third faction might not have been the worse, but like Snake said, it was poorly executed.

E Nice
2004-01-04, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by Snake
I can't think of a single decent Quintessons episode, and that's rather sad, considering how much they focused on the Five Faces Of Dumbass.

Dark Awakening. They used Optimus, whom the Autobots would blindly follow, into a trap to wipe them out. The Autobots probably lost a good number of troops that day, enough to increase the threat the Decepticons pose. Despite the failure to wipe out the entire fleet it was still a Quintesson victory.

Snake
2004-01-05, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by E Nice
Dark Awakening. They used Optimus, whom the Autobots would blindly follow, into a trap to wipe them out. The Autobots probably lost a good number of troops that day, enough to increase the threat the Decepticons pose. Despite the failure to wipe out the entire fleet it was still a Quintesson victory.

Decent? Maybe if you really, really like those goody-goody autobots and were a die-hard Optimus Prime fan. Such a concept had potential, but they had to ruin it with the stupid ideas like the"Crypt Ship". It seems rather absurd that they'd leave their fallen adrift where anybody could mess with them, desecrate them, ect. I know they're dead and all, but if the TFs care enough about their dead to not recycle them and even build a crypt for them, you'd think that it would be somewhere they could keep an eye on it.

And the whole "Quintessons can resurrect any Transformer, regardless that there was nothing that could intially save them." The Quints are repeatedly portrayed as amongst the dumbest of the dumb on the show, but they can overcome that and revive any TF simply because "they're the creators of the transformers." Their most fearsome creations, The Sharkticons, are just a bunch of glass-jaws that even Wheelie could beat in a 1 to 1 fight. But, yeah; the Quints can fix Prime. Millions upon millions of years have passed since they built any TFs and the technology has obviously become more sophisticated, so how do they manage that? Remember, when they had Cybertron, the Transformers didn't actually transform then. It's a bunch of ****.

Worst of the worst, we were supposed to see Optimus finally, completely die with no hope of return (outside of a starscream-esq ghost deal.) Instead of dying via a puny papercut in his side, he goes out big-time and gets melted into oblivion doing one last act of heroism. The only truly good part of the episode, and it was then ruined by RoOP.

The Quintessons are a festering wound in The Transformers mythos, no doubt...