PDA

View Full Version : are the uk comics worth reading...american opinions only,

cda031076dude
2004-01-14, 03:19 AM
since a uk reader would say yes.....just american opinions....uk post what you know about it if you like

RID Scourge
2004-01-14, 04:10 AM
Definitely. Pick up the TPBs. They're the first chance we've had to read them, and I really like them.

cda031076dude
2004-01-14, 04:26 AM
are they available for us in the states....i didn't know that,i know people have them on ebay and they go to like # 290 or further i think

bluekatt
2004-01-14, 04:58 AM
the uk comic goes to issue 332 and around 7 to 8 annuals
and they are worth every penny you spend on them
they expand teh tf univers greatly an dfit neatly between the us stories they make it a greater and better whole and are over al superior to the americna stories while explaining things that the american version fumbeld the bal on ( how cyclonus and scourge ende dup in present day instead of the future for instance is explained in the lagcy of unicron )
get the trade paper backs hunt for scans and they are most definatly worth it

Denyer
2004-01-14, 04:59 AM
Originally posted by cda031076dude
go to like # 290 or further i think Actually, the material isn't printed linearly. Nor are the TPBs. However, if you have a brain, you can probably work out which story arc fits where.

And yes, they're available in the US;

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1840236477/qid=1074056390//ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i0_xgl14/103-9128407-5942243?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

cda031076dude
2004-01-14, 05:22 AM
are the trades new...in other words,will they eventually do trades until they do them all ,or would it be better to just buy a set of issues from time to time on ebay...thanks

Warcry
2004-01-14, 05:25 AM
Well, they (the UK books) are not quite as good as some people make them out to be. A lot of them are mediocre, and some are plain bad. But there are a lot of good stories in there, as well as some bad but fun stories. All in all, I've enjoyed the UK stuff I've read quite a bit more than the US stuff. Then again, I've read all of the US issues, but the only UK stuff I've read are the issues with good reputations. Obviously, if people slate a story, I'm going to leave it for last. So take my opinion with a grain of salt.

cda031076dude
2004-01-14, 05:39 AM
the ones listed at ebay are pricey because nobody lists them as a set...so you could buy a few whenever....they ask like 5 dollars each...imagine the kind of money you would spent to get the run....thanks

Hound
2004-01-14, 07:40 AM
If you're wanting to read the best TF stories told by Marvel Comics you'll want to read the UK comics...

Osku
2004-01-14, 11:33 AM
Some of them are absolutely worth reading. Try for example "Dinobot Hunt" or "Target:2006".

This page might be a help to you
http://www.ntfa.net/ntfa/comics/ukcrossref.php

Denyer
2004-01-14, 04:05 PM
are the trades new...in other words,will they eventually do trades until they do them all ,or would it be better to just buy a set of issues from time to time on ebay...thanks They're still being released... Titan have already released a lot of the material, but releasing them a few at a time allows them to tidy up printing plates and other things required by the publishing.

I prefer the TPB approach... I'm looking at selling off some UK copies and replacing them with the equivalent trades. Acid free paper is a good thing, even if you don't get letters pages and similar stuff. And TPBs store on a shelf much better.

edit: Generally up-to-date list of releases here...

http://www.thetransformers.net/filter.asp?company=Titan%20Books

cda031076dude
2004-01-14, 06:00 PM
so in other words they will do them all,your saying

are they done in order

Denyer
2004-01-14, 07:19 PM
They're collected together by story arc. Due to the fact that time travel and alt-universes are involved, there's more than one possible chronology, but here's a good one:

http://tfarchive.com/genone/timeline.php

cda031076dude
2004-01-14, 07:30 PM
there's only tpb of the us run here

CounterPunch
2004-01-14, 07:51 PM
so in other words they will do them all,your saying

are they done in order

i assume that all will be reprinted possibly apart from the black and white material printed towards the end.

will the mini-series' be reprinted? like the headmasters and the movie parters

Denyer
2004-01-14, 08:36 PM
there's only tpb of the us run here Amazon.com begs to differ.

bluekatt
2004-01-15, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by CounterPunch
i assume that all will be reprinted possibly apart from the black and white material printed towards the end.

thats a pity really i rather liked the black and white material but i wont be surprised if i am one of the few who thinks that

cda031076dude
2004-01-15, 02:21 AM
i emailed the company who does those ,so maybe they will email an answer,unlike the people who do the tf dvd sets

bluekatt
2004-01-15, 03:35 AM
i emailed the company who does those ,so maybe they will email an answer,unlike the people who do the tf dvd sets

i wouldnt hold my breath

Cliffjumper
2004-01-20, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Denyer
I'm looking at selling off some UK copies

*fans himself suggestively with dirty student loan notes*

Erm, christ I hate wankers who assume British people only say the British comics are great because they're British. Sorry, do you see me pissing all over Marvels? Obviously to prefer them to the cartoon is Unamerican and puts you on the axis of evil [latest member: Mars, on the grounds the pidiot's ran out of places down here to bomb], ay?

And the TPBs of UK material are avaliable sateside. I bought one there for a start, and there are tons of other people who have brought them in America. Maybe your local doesn't stock them because people keep walking in and asking for a non-Limey opinion?

Christ on a... erm... baguette. 96 hours without sleep = interesting adventure.

Zizicez
2004-01-20, 06:57 PM
The UK material is GREAT

but like Furman would say Bubiansky did all the REALLY hard work of introducing characters

but Carwash of Doon is still ****

ive read scans for Enemy Within-Dinobot Hunt(but they didnt have the last issue of dinobot hunt...****)

and i own Target 2006, Fallen Angel, Space Pirates, Legacy of Unicron, and Time Wars

and they made me dirty the front of my pants

Cliffjumper
2004-01-21, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by Zizicez
Furman would say Bubiansky did all the REALLY hard work of introducing characters

Well, if you can say any one person created Transformers [note Transformers, not transforming robots - whichever spectacularly unsuccessful Japanese toyline they were pinched is wonderfully irrelevant], it was Bob. We're talking nearly all the characters [he credits Jim Shooter with Optimus Prime, but Shooter said somewhere that while he did do a Prime profile, Bob rewrote it], the basic mythos, pretty much what makes it Transformers. Without that groundwork, it could have been Gobots, and pretty much everything that's came since from all over the world has come from his work however indirectly. He also came up wth a fair few neat ideas as the run went along, even if sometimes they weren't in the best stories - in his last issue, #55, he puts across the idea of downsizing, best part of a decade before Beast Wars...

angloconvoy
2004-01-21, 01:49 PM
since a uk reader would say yes...

I take offense to that. I like to credit myself with the intelligence to assess the merits of something based on whether it is any good, rather than on where it was published. In all honesty, I didn't know which stories were originally from the US comic and which were UK exclusive when I started reading the comic at about the age of 5. But the more memorable stories were usually the UK exclusives. Not to say I didn't enjoy pretty much all of the stuff at the time, as the vast majority of mavel stuff was a fun read. Even going back and reading the trades now, I don't enjoy it as much as I did then, but the UK stuff holds up considerably better (oh, and please note that's a generalisation, there were some terrible UK stories, or even terrible issues within great stories).

Cliffjumper
2004-01-21, 01:54 PM
Like the last two parts of "Target"?

"Hmm, I'll just bugger off now. alternate reality. No point in even considering any other possibilities, especially given as Stascream so won't die again several times over, and I've just blown up Skywarp who'll probably be around then still anyway. I mean, if the future can be chopped and changed just like that it all went pearshaped when I clobbered myself earlier and didn't remember it. Wouldn't want to stay on an alternate world where I'm far from Unicron and can get all the stuff I want instead of going back to 2006 nad having my arse kicked, would I?"

"I, Macabre, will appear from totally nowhere, kill off a character of value, and then be swiftly written out to highlight the new Autobot Triplechangers, avaliable ina shop near you!"

CounterPunch
2004-01-21, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Cliffjumper
Well, if you can say any one person created Transformers [note Transformers, not transforming robots - whichever spectacularly unsuccessful Japanese toyline they were pinched is wonderfully irrelevant], it was Bob. We're talking nearly all the characters [he credits Jim Shooter with Optimus Prime, but Shooter said somewhere that while he did do a Prime profile, Bob rewrote it], the basic mythos, pretty much what makes it Transformers. Without that groundwork, it could have been Gobots, and pretty much everything that's came since from all over the world has come from his work however indirectly. He also came up wth a fair few neat ideas as the run went along, even if sometimes they weren't in the best stories - in his last issue, #55, he puts across the idea of downsizing, best part of a decade before Beast Wars...

again very true, i see alot of people dissin bob and they forget or dont know that if it wasnt for him we wouldnt have transformers (atleast the transformers we know and love), i think people are also a bit too critical of his writing also, lets just remember in the beginning all the comic was was a toy advert, only later do i personally think it became a whole separate being to the toys.

Warcry
2004-01-21, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by Cliffjumper
Like the last two parts of "Target"?

"Hmm, I'll just bugger off now. alternate reality. No point in even considering any other possibilities, especially given as Stascream so won't die again several times over, and I've just blown up Skywarp who'll probably be around then still anyway. I mean, if the future can be chopped and changed just like that it all went pearshaped when I clobbered myself earlier and didn't remember it. Wouldn't want to stay on an alternate world where I'm far from Unicron and can get all the stuff I want instead of going back to 2006 nad having my arse kicked, would I?"
Well, to be perfectly honest, Galvy in T2006 wasn't the smartest of villians.

-He has his own Constructicons in 2006, yet he decides to corrupt the timeline by using the current set.
-He makes no attempt to hide his project, despite the fact that if the Autobots find out about it, they could just wait until he leaves, then quietly come and disassemble it.
-He has his minions blast random Autobots, regardless of the effects it would have on the Movie events.
-He seems to think it would be OK to kill Ultra Magnus. After all, he won't have a major role in future events, will he? :rolleyes:

Seriously, wouldn't stealth be called for, if you were trying to pull off something like this?

Cyberstrike nTo
2004-01-30, 02:19 PM
Are the Transfomers Marvel UK comics perfect?
HELL NO!
But then again I've yet to see a perfect comic book but that's another topic for another fourm and on another day.

Are the Marvel UK Transformers comics a fun read?
OH HELL YEAH!

If you're able to put aside conficting (sp?) storylines and some rushed endings it's possible to sit back and enjoy them.
(Like watching a Die Hard movie)

Vin Ghostal
2004-01-30, 05:48 PM
I'd pick them up. Just like the American run, the UK run has its highs and lows, but it's no more or less worth reading than the American issues. I'd look into it.