PDA

View Full Version : TF US/UK comics vs TF Japanesse Manga

Cyberstrike nTo
2004-02-18, 02:39 PM
I've been wondering about this is all of the US/UK comics (Marvel, DW) better or worse than the Japanesse manga of the Transformers. Are the stories in the US/UK comics better than the
manga or vice versa, the same with the art.

Discuss

Osku
2004-02-18, 03:13 PM
This topic has also been discussed not long time ago here (http://tfarchive.com/community/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20225).

But my opinion in short.

Personally Iīve liked most of the manga storiesī art that Iīve been able to read. Itīs clear, dynamic and tells the story well. It helps, that I like well made black & white comic book art.

Stories that fill in gaps the animated serie left are mostly poor (of the translations Iīve read), which makes that Iīm not interested enough to buy the collection.

Marvelīs UK run still for the most part is a decent/good/excellent read. There are bad ones as well. Stories are strong point of Marvel run (early Budiansky stories, most of the UK-only stories, late Furman stories).

Art was sometimes horrible Jose Delbo being the most known example. Part of the responsibility falls for the US colourist though. Fortunately there were also good artists; Geoff Senior, Andrew Wildman, William Johnson to mention few.

Dreamwave has had ok stuff (Armada, War Within minis) and quite horrible stuff (G1) of what Iīve read. Mostly because itīs "style over content" which always leaves me cold.

So Marvel UK + US G2 is my choice.

DrSpengler
2004-02-18, 05:16 PM
The manga takes place in the timeline of the cartoon series. So if you liked the cartoon then there's no reason you wouldn't like the manga. Several issues expand on storylines from the cartoon such as Starscream's Ghost, the birth of Trypticon (great issue) and even more Battle Beast adventures.

The only problem is the stories are short, very short. So resolutions are found real quick. The stories are on the same intellectual level as the cartoon so if you have a problem with that then the manga isn't worth learning Japanese over. I learned Japanese so I could read it, but that's just me.:p

Osku
2004-02-18, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by DrSpengler
The only problem is the stories are short, very short. So resolutions are found real quick. The stories are on the same intellectual level as the cartoon so if you have a problem with that -clip-
Thatīs the problem.

Cyberman
2004-02-18, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by DrSpengler
...The only problem is the stories are short, very short...

I would have thought the problem is that theyīre in japanese... ;-)