PDA

View Full Version : G1 Ongoing Issue #2 reveiw (SPOILERS)

Commander Shockwav
2004-02-26, 01:03 AM
A+. Fantastic issue. In my opinion, one of the best issues out of DW to date.

The words I would use to describe this issue and the way the story is being carried are "epic" and "cinematic". It just has a sort of grand feel to it, something I haven't really felt since the days of Furmans prime.

The artwork, of course, is phenomenal. Nuff said.

The story is captivating and the characterizations really come through. Starscream is the Starscream we all know and love and he has really taken the forefront now. Conniving yet full of cowardice. Ratchet is Ratchet, Bumblee is Bumblebee, Brawn is Brawn, etc.

We find out what happened to Sky Lynx and see the cast grow with the introduction of many new characters, including the Powerdashers (who are mindless drones serving the Autobots, hehe), the 'repaints' of the Autobot minis, such as Pipes, Outback, Tailpipe, etc ( their inclusion is to let you know how hard up the Autobots really are for good soldiers on Cybertron), and of course, the much anticipated return of Jetfire, who really looks badass in his real toy form, something I have yet to see in the cartoon or the comic. Oh, and both the Combaticons and Protectobots are in this issue.

Magnus makes a comeback. Sweet. But even sweeter? PRIME OUT OF COMMISSION. Thank you Brad!! Time for others to take the spotlight.

We get a feel for Sunstorms real power as he takes down the Orion single handedly. We come to find out there really IS a relationship between Starscream and Sunstorm.

Things are looking up for this title. The art, the story, the coloring are first class, really, and easily compare or even outperform the best stuff from Transformers comics past.

Ultimate Weapon
2004-02-26, 03:37 AM
I didn't really enjoy Sunstorms babbling ala religious mesiah during the first battle scene. Eventually he cooled down inside the Nemesis.

Sir Auros
2004-02-26, 04:11 AM
Good.

This issue was a pretty good indication that they know how to do an ongoing comic and have a definite beginning and end within a larger story arc.

Entertaining to boot and left me wanting the next issue.

Blitzwing
2004-02-26, 07:39 AM
Yeah... G1 Volume 3 has been easily the best work I've seen from Dreamwave so far. Hopefully they can keep up this pace. War Within Volume 1 started out great too, but eventually lost its luster.

I agree there's a pretty big 'epic' feel to it. I also love the characterization that is given to the supporting characters. And the art is just fantastic.

Cliffjumper
2004-03-07, 12:50 PM
I thought it was pretty good - not quite as jump-for-joy fun as #1, but still a good read, and about 18 times as good as "War & Peace".

Pluses, minuses and questions: -

+ Don's art can actually tell a story. I honestly think he works better with restrictive character models - I'm not saying his designs are bad or anything, but the storytelling's much better from the work of others.
- I really don't like "silent gimp" Soundwave.
- Sunstorm's a bit Transphoenix at the moment, and talks too much like a pretentious RPGer.
+ Bumblebee's not bad, and Starscream's less of a prick than in Vol. 2
? Why is Red Alert training with the rookies?
- Runabout had his head vapourised in #1. In true Mick style, he's now been "knocked offline".
- Brawn appears to join in in shouting "Give it a rest already" at himself.
+ Explanation for the Sky Lynx thing isn't too bad - Mick actually dealing with a hole in his story!
- Trying to mimick Seaspray's cartoon voice. It just sounds ****ing stupid.

MikeB
2004-03-07, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Cliffjumper

- Brawn appears to join in in shouting "Give it a rest already" at himself.

When I first read the issue I just assumed Brawn was joining in as he's that kind of smartarse who knew exactly what they were saying. Looking back at it now, given that he expresses surprise in the next panel I think I was just being stupid. It's obvious in retrospect that it's just the other three telling him that, but it's definitely a confusing speech arrow initially.

I suppose with Red Alert you could argue that he's just in there giving close up supervision and help, what with him looking like he's possibly just face palming with exasperation like prowl does in the first panel. Maybe I'm just trying to explain away errors with that though.

On the whole I'm really enjoying the series though, which makes a big change from the end of War and Peace where I was starting to reach the point of just buying it through an obsessive need for completeness.

Transfannabeel
2004-03-07, 04:54 PM
Okay, but I'm mad because the guy who saves my comics didn't save me JLA/Avengers and a couple of other comics.

Pluses: Didn't become movie soon. Micks getting better.No Huffer.Explained some events a little.

'Negatives: Seaspry has same talking problem as in cartoon. Sunstorm is kind of weird. Didn't see the point in introducing the combaticons as new characters. They should have used someone like the terrocons.

Overall, I'm probably dropping it for awhile and just read my brother's copy instead.

DrSpengler
2004-03-07, 05:49 PM
- Trying to mimick Seaspray's cartoon voice. It just sounds ****ing stupid.

That had me laughing, actually. I'd like to think they did it for the humour since his voice was the worst in the entire cartoon and just about everyone knows it.

God Jinrai
2004-03-10, 05:55 PM
What has ME wondering is... jetfire/skyfire as we see him in the end of issue 2... is nearly point for point the same as the VF 1J with the Super armor... obviously don wouldn't just do it without having something to cover his tail, bit... we gonna end up seeing backlash from robotech's current liscence holder?

Extra: Ten bucks says that face is just another mask as it is for him in war within...

Garrason
2004-03-10, 11:12 PM
well if you look at MTMTE #3 the cover has a cool looking jetfire who looks more like the toy than the cartoon verson but his profile has the cartoon verson

Transfannabeel
2004-03-10, 11:17 PM
[i]Extra: Ten bucks says that face is just another mask as it is for him in war within... [/B]

I'd be very suprised if its not.

Cliffjumper
2004-03-10, 11:28 PM
...what with him being in Skyfire togs on the cover of #3, IIRC.

Lord Zarak
2004-03-11, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Transfannabeel

Didn't see the point in introducing the combaticons as new characters. They should have used someone like the terrocons.

Arent the Combaticons in the first volume of the war within? Or were they not a gestalt team then?

Blitzwing
2004-03-11, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by Lord Zarak
Arent the Combaticons in the first volume of the war within? Or were they not a gestalt team then?

They were only used in a cameo appearance, so nobody really knows anything about what they were like in War Within. My theory is they must habe been captured as war criminals at some point and forgotten about.

CounterPunch
2004-03-11, 11:06 PM
...what with him being in Skyfire togs on the cover of #3, IIRC.

I wanna know how theyll solve that

cover for issue 3 - cartoon version
end of issue 2 - toy version

Blitzwing
2004-03-11, 11:18 PM
It's not that hard. He can flip up his mask, then just re-arange his armour a bit. All they would have to say is that one of those modes is his 'battle mode'.

Nevermore
2004-03-21, 05:00 PM
Or he could adapt to an "earth mode"... By the way, what's that on the letters page? G1 vol. 3 #0 NOT going to be reprinted in the trade? WTF? :rant:

Cliffjumper
2004-03-21, 11:27 PM
Not a problem. #0 felt like War & Peace 7. I'd rather cut the price and have the decent storylines...