PDA

View Full Version : Stepper: Takara reissue #15?

Alpha Trion
2004-04-15, 07:49 AM
http://tformers.com/article.php?sid=2804&mode=flat

I would love to see a Stepper reissue, as I just know one of these days I'm going to become rich, and end up spending all my newfound money on ridiculously rare guys like Stepper.

Tempest
2004-04-15, 03:01 PM
Holy S*it.

I never heard of the guy, and he can get up to $1000+ on eBay. Looks alright but meh ...

Denyer
2004-04-15, 04:37 PM
It'll sell. Will piss off a number of incredibly anal people too. So, it's all good.

Bombshell
2004-04-15, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by Denyer
Will piss off a number of incredibly anal people too.

*cough*cliffy*cough*

Denyer
2004-04-15, 05:49 PM
Doubt it. I have dibs on a couple of his originals. Reissues are good. It's even nicer when they're of toys which are virtually nonexistent in the second-hand market.

Windrazor
2004-04-18, 05:28 AM
Originally posted by Tempest
Holy S*it.

I never heard of the guy, and he can get up to $1000+ on eBay. Looks alright but meh ...

Yeah.. while you are at it.. take a look at Artfire. He's a repaint of Inferno that is also in that $1000 price range. Maybe they'll make a repaint of him too? I don't have a link for him right now.. but.. I'm sure you can find something..

Sir Auros
2004-04-18, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by Bombshell
*cough*cliffy*cough*

Do you ever think about what you're typing or know what you're talking about? Cliffjumper, the guy who's constantly ragging on dumbasses who pay out the ass to have a complete collection, the guy who'd think that such anal bastards getting pissed would be entirely their own fault? That Cliffy? :wtf:

Alpha Trion
2004-04-18, 08:10 PM
Now, let's get back on topic... who thinks Takara would do well to release a two-pack with Stepper and Artfire?
I would buy that in a heartbeat, and I imagine most collectors would do the same. It'd be quite possible too, as both the Jazz and Inferno molds have been used very recently.

Windrazor
2004-04-18, 08:17 PM
who thinks Takara would do well to release a two-pack with Stepper and Artfire?

I would think they would do quite well. I could see that pack starting off at $100 easily. Especially since they are Targetmasters, it makes them even more appealing. I don't know if they'd do it in the near future though, only since they are trying to get the original reissues out first. Since these were special limited ones, they may try to leave them as being exclusive. Who knows. They may just make it into a set such as the Goodbye Megatron, and Optimus Prime sets. In any case, I'd be more than happy to pick one up.

Warcry
2004-04-18, 08:19 PM
Now, let's get back on topic... who thinks Takara would do well to release a two-pack with Stepper and Artfire?
I would say 'no', actually. IIRC, Artfire and Stepper aren't all that popular in Japan, so the primary market for this set would be Western collectors. With that in mind, a two-pack wouldn't be the best idea, since it would require collectors who only want one of the two to pay twice as much for the toys, and twice (or thereabouts) as much for shipping. For my part, I'd like Artfire, but I might not be willing to shell out for a two-pack to get him.

A limited-run individual re-issue for both of them, on the other hand, would probably be more profitable. The collectors that would be willing to pick up both would probably buy both anyway, while those who don't want to buy both could just get one.

Bombshell
2004-04-18, 09:39 PM

I don't see it happening. I mean, yeah, they still got the Inferno mold, but I doubt they'll do it for a US market. Japanese, on the other hand...

Ravage
2004-04-18, 11:05 PM
But I gotta agree with Bombers on that one, probley no chance on it being made a 2 pack sadly.

Reflector
2004-04-18, 11:05 PM
If only I could close this.

Anyway. Would be cool, though I'll be a little surprised if it really does go through. Not buying one either way...

Cliffjumper
2004-04-18, 11:14 PM
Why not a double-pack? These are fan interest figures, likely to be distributed by eHobby's Premiums range if at all. Takara have no moral problem with packaging figures of varying desirability into a two-pack - look at Anime Streak, packed with fugly Gold Meister. They know there are enough TF fans out there who want these to fork out on a double-pack price for one.

Denyer
2004-04-18, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by Reflector
If only I could close this. Why should the thread suffer?

Warcry:

Hmm. Takara have been inclined to bundle two of the same mould together, and we've already had Jazz (with the gold repaint) and Inferno (was he done as Grapple as well?) I figure a two-pack would sell well enough internationally it would be financially worth their while.

Cliffjumper
2004-04-18, 11:21 PM

Hmm. Takara have been inclined to bundle two of the same mould together, and we've already had Jazz (with the gold repaint) and Inferno (was he done as Grapple as well?) I figure a two-pack would sell well enough internationally it would be financially worth their while.

The Gold Jazz wasn't sold with Jazz, but with Anime Bluestreak... but yes, they did pack a load of G1 reissues in "mold brothers", and the trend did continue with Deepcover & Clampdown.

Takara aren't afraid to rinse your wallet by packing something you want with something you don't want. Why do you think they brought clear/pewter PVC figures and random packaging to Transformers?

Denyer
2004-04-18, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by Cliffjumper
Why do you think they brought clear/pewter PVC figures and random packaging to Transformers? I have to assume ignorance of the end market came into it somewhere... they must have known they'd sell fewer complete cases by mixing.

Random packing I can accept... they're cheap novelties, they just aren't so cheap when you add shipping from Japan.

Iron Guciu
2004-04-18, 11:58 PM
I would like to see STEPPER to be Reissue in US.

and i would like to see Stepper be the part of DW TF G1 Universe:)

Cliffjumper
2004-04-19, 12:41 AM
I was outright surpised he, and some of the other Japanese exclusives less prominently associated with the TV series, or overtly "Japanese" didn't make it into MTMTE.

Warcry
2004-04-19, 04:46 AM
Takara aren't afraid to rinse your wallet by packing something you want with something you don't want. Why do you think they brought clear/pewter PVC figures and random packaging to Transformers?
Because people are willing to pay the money, obviously. I didn't really think about it from the 'would they' angle as much as the 'should they' angle. If they do reissue them, they probably will be in a two-pack, but I really, really wish they weren't.

But honestly, it's crap like that which ensures that they almost never get any of my money. I'm in a minority there, I know, but that kind of stuff really pisses me off (random packing, especially).

Sir Auros
2004-04-19, 05:00 AM
On the random packaging - that's why I never bought any of the PVC's but waited for HoC...and then I only bought one of those once I figured out how lame they were.

It'd be great for a Stepper release though, if only to piss off all the completists.

Zizicez
2004-04-19, 06:43 AM
What Accesories to the 2 come with

doesnt Stepper have a rifle and doesnt Artfire have his wrist missles

Osku
2004-04-19, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by Zizicez
What Accesories to the 2 come with

doesnt Stepper have a rifle and doesnt Artfire have his wrist missles
Feeling lazy. :)

http://tfdatabase.com/toys/rare/artfire_stepper/index.html

Alpha Trion
2004-04-20, 02:42 AM
I fail to see how anyone except the few people who own the original Stepper would be upset over a reissue of the figure. Shouldn't this be a blessing for completeists, saving them loads of money?

Windrazor
2004-04-21, 11:09 AM
On a side note.. in case of waiting to see if it actually does come out or not, it looks as if someone is selling a Stepper toy (no box is shown) for $299 here on eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4696&item=3188964665&rd=1) .

Cliffjumper
2004-04-21, 11:19 AM
That's the source and link given in the article in the first post...

Ultimate Weapon
2004-04-21, 03:29 PM
Here is a Stepper auction, and atthat price they better reissue him.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4694&item=3181357164

Windrazor
2004-04-22, 03:34 AM
That's the source and link given in the article in the first post...

In the first post? I must be blind, because the first post in this thread that I see is by Alpha Trion referring to a link on www.tformers.com. The link I posted was for an ebay auction.

Denyer
2004-04-22, 04:25 AM
Originally posted by Windrazor
I must be blindSame seller and same photo as referenced by TFormers.

Cliffjumper
2004-04-22, 10:12 AM
Target Master Jazz (aka Stepper) Reissue

By News_Staff
Wednesday, April 14 @ 16:04:26 EDT

Tformers first posted the rumor about a Target Master Jazz - aka Stepper - figure reissue coming out in July of 2002. It took awhile, but there is an indication that this figure may be a reality. A seller on eBay has listed a black Targetmaster Jazz figure that is made off of the reissued Jazz mold. The figure also shows Stepper-like stickers and paint apps. Read on for more details.

For those of you not familiar with Stepper, the figure was released in only Japan during the HeadMasters series that aired 1987-88. The original Jazz figure was repainted and remolded somewhat to hold a TargetMaster on the vehicle itself. Stepper is considered to be one of rarest Japanese only released Generation 1 toys ever. Even though the character has never appreared in a Transformers series, the highly sought after toy can easily sell for $1000+ on the market today.

The Auction link on eBay can be seen HERE.

The link for the word "HERE" is, funnily enough http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4696&item=3187934537
So not so much blind as stupid :\

Cyberman
2004-04-22, 10:23 AM
Maybe the site doesn´t work right - I just tried it, but all I get is a mostly empty screen with the comments on the left side. No article.

Alpha Trion
2004-04-22, 11:31 AM
http://tformers.com/article.php?sid=2830&mode=flat
:up:
It would seem that Stepper is officially reissue #15. I thought he'd be an E-Hobby premium, but this is even better as it'll be half the price.

Sir Auros
2004-04-22, 11:37 AM
Until a more reputable dealer announces it, I'd say it's still a rumor.

Civ
2004-04-22, 01:25 PM
Personally, I don't care for this Stepper re-issue. As far as I'm concerned, it's nothing more than a Jazz with a not-so-great paintjob and an ugly gun. What I'm amazed at is that Stepper is being reissued, Hauler has been released, and Sunstorm has been released, but no blue Bluestreak? I would think Hasbro or Takara would release that repaint as I'm sure it would outsell the three aforementioned repaints combined.

Cliffjumper
2004-04-22, 04:13 PM
I'd disagree with that... it's main fascination would be the rarity of the non-existant original, not really an awful lot to do with the popularity of the figure... plus Takara make toys for the Japanese market, and Japanese fans might not give a flying **** about the whole blue Bluestreak thing.

Arcee
2004-04-22, 04:17 PM
Yeah, people definitely buy Stepper for the rarity... (I assume)

It's like with the Blue Mauritius - there's lots of stamps out there that are more beautiful than it, objectively speaking.

If I ever become so desperate for a Stepper that I'm willing to pay US $1,250.00 for it (assuming I had that money :p ), please shoot me, 'kay?

Civ
2004-04-22, 05:49 PM
plus Takara make toys for the Japanese market, and Japanese fans might not give a flying **** about the whole blue Bluestreak thing.

The key word in there is "might". I would love to talk to some Japanese fans and see what their take is on the whole blue Bluestreak thing. That is I would like to talk to the Japanese fans that could at least speak broken English.

Cliffjumper
2004-04-22, 06:33 PM
I'd be interested, too. But there is unlikely to be the same interest, as I highly doubt there were the same rumours flying around, as the sub-atomic chances of there being a blue Bluestreak tower over the chance of the same thing happening for Streak - by the time the range hit Japan, added to Takara's more meticulous production methods, lots of the little problems such as incorrectly coloured figures were ironed out ot the range. To the Japanese, I expect, it's a Diaclone figure accidentally used for a figure's box art.

I've never got the fuss over the blue scheme, myself. It's not trouser-tearingly nice, and it's not used in any media unless Yomtov ****ed up a bit.

Nevermore
2004-04-22, 06:39 PM
In terms of look, I'd prefer the silver/black cartoon accurate "Anime Streak" over the blue/silver "Blue Bluestreak".

Still, there was a blue version produced for the Transformers line, only this time it was called "Silverstreak" and part of the "G1" Spychangers. Oh, the irony... :D

Warcry
2004-04-22, 06:57 PM
I've never got the fuss over the blue scheme, myself. It's not trouser-tearingly nice, and it's not used in any media unless Yomtov ****ed up a bit.
He appears on the cover of UK#42, actually.

inflatable dalek
2004-04-22, 07:57 PM
I would have thought Steeper and Artfire would be preaty much non-brainers for reissue, the moulds have been done up and Takara have just been searching through their draw of Targetmaster guns for the Hot Rod reissue, it's a couple of cheap to make E-Hobbey exclusives. I can't see either of them as book style reissue 15 though, it would be like Hasbro puting Quickmix in their next commerative series:D

Windrazor
2004-04-22, 08:26 PM

The link for the word "HERE" is, funnily enough http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4696&item=3187934537
So not so much blind as stupid :\

As amusing as you are Cliffjumper, look at that again. The link you posted was to an auction where the final bid was for $304.00. The Link that "I" Posted http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4696&item=3188964665&rd=1 is to a Stepper auction that is still going on and at a price of $299.99.
Who is the one that is stupid now? :\

Cliffjumper
2004-04-22, 08:37 PM
Why? It's the same listing, by the same seller. Therefore it's the same thing as long as you're not actively bidding on it... Hardly radically different, or really different between a start and end date, which are minutae... Seeing as your initial post was

"On a side note.. in case of waiting to see if it actually does come out or not, it looks as if someone is selling a Stepper toy (no box is shown) for $299 here on eBay."

Which was linked to in the article, and your second was

"In the first post? I must be blind, because the first post in this thread that I see is by Alpha Trion referring to a link on www.tformers.com. The link I posted was for an ebay auction."

When the link led to an ebay auction, I'd say someone was searching for something to hold onto, having been a bit of a plank. Don't worry about it, though - we're used to you :)

Oh, and Warcry, I was hoping that the mention of Yomtov covered the fact that occasionally characters were miscoloured. Gina or whoever probably simply used the box art for reference... it's fair to say the comic version looks like his TFU character model, right? Which featured the actual Bluestreak toy colour scheme, albeit with Marvel's usual substitution of blue for black [unless anyone wants to argue that Tony Stark had blue hair?]. And let's not get me side-tracked on the non-canonicity of comic covers, yes? ;)

Nevermore
2004-04-22, 08:53 PM
By the way, the guy selling it has a long history of selling prototypes (Alternators, Universe etc.) long before the respective toy is even announced by Hasbro, so I'd say there's at least some argument for the "Stepper reissue" being for real.

Just check his current sales. All protos.

It's the same guy who sold the Alternators Meister proto. The first Tracks proto, long before Tracks was even shown at Toy Fair. The first Hound proto. All by the same seller.

Windrazor
2004-04-22, 09:00 PM
Why? It's the same listing, by the same seller. Therefore it's the same thing as long as you're not actively bidding on it... Hardly radically different, or really different between a start and end date, which are minutae... Seeing as your initial post was
When the link led to an ebay auction, I'd say someone was searching for something to hold onto, having been a bit of a plank. Don't worry about it, though - we're used to you :)

I believe the issue on hand here, is whether the "Stepper" toy will be a reissue. As stated by Alpha Trion thru his link to the tformers.com site, it was suggested that a reissue of this figure will be created and sold. When I said "side note" that meant, that I had searched through eBay to see if any were being sold. The figure ON eBay is not foretold to be a reissue. Nor could I VIEW the link that Alpha Trion had posted in the first place, such as others like Cyberman were having troubles viewing it:

Warning: mysql_fetch_row(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home/virtual/site2/fst/var/www/html/mainfile.php on line 1009

Warning: Cannot add header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/virtual/site2/fst/var/www/html/mainfile.php:1009) in /home/virtual/site2/fst/var/www/html/jc/jpcache.inc on line 431

Also, trying to rationalize the fact that the auction is by the same person and with the same format, does not make it the same auction regardless of how you look at it. :)

Denyer
2004-04-22, 09:08 PM
Who is the one that is stupid now? Same seller, same item & photo. As already mentioned.

You're confusing ignorance on your part with stupidity... but I suppose wilful ignorance qualifies as stupidity... so, fine, you're stupid.

TFormers appears to be having a few problems with its SQL database right now, but hopefully the reissue situation will be clarified shortly.

Windrazor
2004-04-22, 09:15 PM
Same seller, same item & photo. As already mentioned.

You're confusing ignorance on your part with stupidity... but I suppose wilful ignorance qualifies as stupidity... so, fine, you're stupid.

Your rationalization causes stupidity. Lets grow up. Enough said.

Denyer
2004-04-22, 09:32 PM
Lets grow up. You're a little late for the moral highground or the last word. But you're correct, insofar as anything further off-topic will be excised.

shanewils
2004-04-22, 10:33 PM
http://www.action-hq.com/cgi-bin/action-hq/oth001203.htm
Check it out for yourselfs collection 15 is Stepper

Sir Auros
2004-04-22, 10:50 PM
They beat you to it and it's already been posted.

I still say it's a rumor until someone other than that engrish-speaking site puts it up...

Denyer
2004-04-22, 11:39 PM
*merg'd*

Alpha Trion
2004-04-23, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by Alpha Trion
http://tformers.com/article.php?sid=2830&mode=flat
:up:
It would seem that Stepper is officially reissue #15. I thought he'd be an E-Hobby premium, but this is even better as it'll be half the price.
It seems that article has been pulled from TFormers.com. That does not bode well.

Warcry
2004-04-23, 03:56 AM
Oh, and Warcry, I was hoping that the mention of Yomtov covered the fact that occasionally characters were miscoloured. Gina or whoever probably simply used the box art for reference...
Well, to be honest I'd hold a competant colourist to a different standard than I would Yomtov...when he miscolours someone it's usually because of stupidity, but with other colourists I'll make allowances for artistic interpretation, especially on covers.

it's fair to say the comic version looks like his TFU character model, right? Which featured the actual Bluestreak toy colour scheme, albeit with Marvel's usual substitution of blue for black [unless anyone wants to argue that Tony Stark had blue hair?]. And let's not get me side-tracked on the non-canonicity of comic covers, yes? ;)
I'd actually agree with you on all that, but that's not what you said originally...you claimed he'd never been used in any media, not that he'd never been used in any canonical media. If he has appeared in any of the comic stories, I would probably write it off as an error, as his comic self should always look like his TFU model sheet, as you said.

'Sides, knowing DW's fondness for obscure characters, he'll probably get a cameo in the ongoing at some point. Hell, they even put Rapido in, so nothing on that front would surprise me.

MathewsJ1
2004-04-23, 04:29 AM
Both the Stepper and Artfire figures are Godawful ugly. They have little to no significance to the saga in the western world so I don't know what all the fuss is about.

Windrazor
2004-04-23, 05:06 AM
Originally posted by MathewsJ1
Both the Stepper and Artfire figures are Godawful ugly. They have little to no significance to the saga in the western world so I don't know what all the fuss is about.

Value. What collectors want. It's something rare. Anything that tends to be rare, tends to be sought after. Such as Japanese X-9 Ravage, Energon Ultra Magnus, TM2 Black Arachnia.. etc...

Brave Maximus
2004-04-23, 05:24 AM
While I know a bunch of places have it up. I have a concern with all the pics being posted of Stepper. Basically the Chin. We all know that the Jazz\Meister mold was damaged and that's why we get the Jean Chretien looking Jazz. BUT, the pics of Stepper I've seen don't have it. I just wonder which we'll get?

Windrazor
2004-04-23, 05:37 AM
Originally posted by Brave Maximus
While I know a bunch of places have it up. I have a concern with all the pics being posted of Stepper. Basically the Chin. We all know that the Jazz\Meister mold was damaged and that's why we get the Jean Chretien looking Jazz. BUT, the pics of Stepper I've seen don't have it. I just wonder which we'll get?

Who is Jean Chretien? Someone from France?

Brave Maximus
2004-04-23, 05:43 AM
Who is Jean Chretien? Someone from France?
Jean Chretien: Ex-Prime Minister of Canada (http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/chretien/)

Edited for content by me

MathewsJ1
2004-04-23, 02:48 PM
Although these figures are rare, Siamese twins are too and they are still considered gross. I'm still at a loss as to what makes Stepper and Artfire so desirable. Give me Jazz or Inferno anyday.

inflatable dalek
2004-04-23, 02:59 PM
Artfire looks alittle odd (a fire engin with a white cab), but Stepper absolutly kicks ass, and thats probably why he's the one the rummors are about. Hell, I'd probably pick up a reissue Stepper over Jass, black and gold just rocks:)

Windrazor
2004-04-23, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by Brave Maximus
Jean Chretien: Ex-Prime Minister of Canada (http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/chretien/)

Edited for content by me

ahhh... uhh.. ehhh.. hmm... errr.. ohhh.. kay.. :confused:
I guess I'm looking at my reissue jazz and then at this picture of an old geezer.. and... I'm just .. not ... seeing the similarities... hmm....

I'd still have to say that even though these 2 figures may look different.. they still look cool to me... of course.. I've always loved the fire engines too... and the Targetmasters to them, is just something extra...

Alpha Trion
2004-04-23, 11:00 PM
They have little to no significance to the saga in the western world
The same could be said for Black Zarak, Overlord, Metalhawk, Victory Saber, Deszaras, etc. They're all still highly sought after and very expensive.
Although these figures are rare, Siamese twins are too and they are still considered gross.
I've never considered conjoined twins to be gross, and fail to see why someone would do so.

Alpha Trion
2004-04-28, 11:01 PM
BBTS now has pre-orders available for Stepper, so it's all but confirmed now.

inflatable dalek
2004-04-29, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Alpha Trion
BBTS now has pre-orders available for Stepper, so it's all but confirmed now.
Cool, I've already had a few beers today, but I think I'll have a few more to celebrate;)

Windrazor
2004-04-30, 02:41 AM
What a party animall.. Chug-a-lug!!! http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/otn/animals/ride.gif