PDA

View Full Version : IDW comics will update G1 alt-modes / new interview(s) with Chris Ryall

Brave Maximus
2005-06-05, 03:57 PM
Just spotted this over at TFW2005.com

Of note is that the seekers will no longer be F15s, Megatron will not be a gun, Soundwave will not be a cassette player and the possibility of designs from the Alternators toy line integrated into the series.

Full article here (http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/thread75667.html)

While I know this is an interesting idea.... The die-hard G1 fans might revolt (Remember Trukkk not Munkey.... and all that crap :rolleyes: )

I'm not sure how I feel about this one, to be honnest - I mean, I do like G1 to be pure G1, despite how cheezy it is with the old school stuff. On the other hand, I'm very curious about the new designs. Holding final judgement until I see some drawings.

[fourth staff edit]

Also on TFW2005, a new interview with Chris Ryall:
http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/the-transformers826.html

One at TFormers, too:
http://tformers.com/article.php?sid=4663

Interview by KingMob at Seibertron:
http://www.seibertron.com/energonpub/viewtopic.php?t=67514

[staff edit]

More AA notes thanks to KingMob...
http://www.transfans.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3491

Original big IDW thread:
http://tfarchive.com/community/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30663

T.V.
2005-06-05, 04:27 PM
Sounds interesting.
I like the premise of it ,IF done correctly (= not chessy/unneccesary).

Afterall it isn't 1984 anymore, and even TFs have to stop wearing mullets at some time, if they don't want to come across ridiculous!;)

optimusskids
2005-06-05, 04:29 PM
I went to Auto Assembly and I think the idea is as it will be set in the present the designs will be updated to present day models of the same manufacturer. The emphasis will be on them blending in so it should make sense that way

(checks kevlar bodysuit)

I think as long as the colours and head sculpts and method of transformation ie : vertical/horizontal bonnets are the same they should be able to pull it off.

There was some joking about Soundwave being an Ipod or a BBC ouside broadcast van.

Megatron 's new mode is hush hush

We shall see it will be worth it if we get a decent comic devoid of transforming scooters and bicycles (unless its in robocapers)

Some transformers could do with updating : never having the toy of Skids I always imagined his alt mode as more small van than people carrier. Fingers crossed he comes back as a van like the one in the A team would be nice, except thats 1980's too .

Osku
2005-06-05, 04:46 PM
I thought someone already posted that here? :confused:

Anyway, as it's not going to be continuation of old continuities, I'm glad to hear them taking a bit more distance to Marvel comic and cartoon. Updating the designs and getting rid of Megatron's gun mode is a step in the right direction. In my opinion of course. :)

Civ
2005-06-05, 05:05 PM
Sounds good in my opinion. I wouldn't mind seeing the BT/Alt. designs integrated into G1. I also wouldn't mind seeing new modes for the seekers like the Stealth Fighter, Stealth Bomber, or SR-71 Blackbird as examples of something snazzy looking. I really hope they don't make Megs as a tank or a jet. Meg's mode needs to be distinct from the other Decepticons while at the same time, looking pretty snazzy and eye-catching. A tank is too dull and has been overdone already and a jet is used frequently enough as-is.

Denyer
2005-06-05, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Osku
I thought someone already posted that here? :confused: They did, but the old main topic has become rather involved in discussing Dreamwave's mistakes. This also has other details.

Bodycount
2005-06-05, 07:33 PM
G1 getting a makeover and a new story...
Good.
Old trash belongs in the dumpster.

So out with the old, in with the new.

God Jinrai
2005-06-05, 07:54 PM
... blackbird's not feasible as THAT design went out back in what, the 80's, early 90's?

The stealths really aren't entirely viable for one reason: the lack air to air combat measures in the way that the seekers usually fought... guns. not to mention, they'd be carrying their ordinance on the insides...

as for megatron's alt mode... heaven only knows that they can't go and keep him as a gun because "it's not viable in the toy field anymore"... if he ends up as a tank or jet, I'm going to go medieval on someone...

and to me soundwave just isn't soundwave if he isn't a tape-deck...

everyone keeps saying "get rid of the old rubbish. start fresh"

correct me if I'm wrong, but this is STILL going to be a G1 COMIC, yes?

*sigh*

but go ahead now and call me a "Gee wun fanboy wanker". I'm sure several of you would want to at this point...

Civ
2005-06-05, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by God Jinrai
... blackbird's not feasible as THAT design went out back in what, the 80's, early 90's?

The stealths really aren't entirely viable for one reason: the lack air to air combat measures in the way that the seekers usually fought... guns. not to mention, they'd be carrying their ordinance on the insides...

But remember, these are disguises. They just have look like the jets, not exactly work and fight like them. Hidden guns are always allowable.

And I could have sworn that DW did a Blackbird Starscream design not all that long ago that looked really sweet.

As for G1 being trash? No. There were lots of plot holes and errors and such; however, it was the stuff that broke the initial ground for later TFs to come. No initial design is perfect but for it being imperfect, it was still rather entertaining and brought in the most important factor for companies -- money.

Brave Maximus
2005-06-05, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by Civ
And I could have sworn that DW did a Blackbird Starscream design not all that long ago that looked really sweet.

Devil's Due Actually. In their GI Joe\TF cross over - only I guess it was a "Night Viper" or what ever the Cobra Black Bird was called ;)

I think Jinrai hit it on this one though. This is supposed to be G1. You can add to it, and play with it a little (DW with Sunstorm) - but at the core - it needs to remain G1

Osku
2005-06-05, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Brave Maximus
I think Jinrai hit it on this one though. This is supposed to be G1. You can add to it, and play with it a little (DW with Sunstorm) - but at the core - it needs to remain G1
Ah, but it's not going to be "Generation 1". It's going to be "Transformers". Yes similar to "G1", but not the same. If you're familiar with Marvel's "Ultimates" line, that's the comparison IDW people have used the most.

Edit:
by centurian in the TFW thread
"Furman actually mentioned that he maybe giving the Dinobots a rest for a while - especially Grimlock.

Aparently he's picked up on people coments on message boards (maybe even this one?) that he can sometimes over use Big Grim and as a result he may concentrate on some other characters for a while."

Also Transformers @ The Moon tells the same comics news in their Auto Assembly 2005 report, plus some more.
http://www.transformertoys.co.uk/miscgallerylisting.php?galleryID=57

"Questions soon moved onto IDW and Simon gave a little further insight into the current status of the Dreamwave stories as well as again confirming that the new books are very much a 'Marvel Ultimate's'type of project. Simon confirmed that there are plans for a 10th anniversary Beast Wars comic or perhaps comics in 2006, with both IDW and Hasbro wanting to mark that anniversary. Andrew Wildman spoke briefly on how Simon had put him in touch with IDW, and how he was very interested in working with Simon again on a Gen1 book, but how, at present, he did not fit into IDW's plans, but would keep in talks incase something arose in the future. On the subject of IDW, Simon did not want to comment on the plan for Megatron's alternative mode, but did confirm that Soundwave would definitely be changing and, at present, does not feature in the first story arch as no alt. mode has been decided. Andy Wildman was quick to request an iPod mode which brought about a few comical exchanges between himself and Simon. Simon also mentioned that, were appropriate, the Alternator mode would probably be used for the same characters, but not necessarily all. He did confirm that one of the biggest changes people would be seeing would be to the Seekers, who's original F-15 modes were in need of a serious update. Simon also again confirmed no Spike and Sparkplug, nor would the new human kid be a mechanic. The kid will be younger than Spike, but no age bracket was mentioned. IDW, and Hasbro, are hoping that the comics 'fresh start' will pull in the next generation of Transformers fans, to keep the brand going into the future."

Sir Auros
2005-06-05, 09:35 PM
I'd really rather just see the line move on into Alternators. G1 has really been done to death and IDW would really do better as far as pleasing more people by taking a line that hasn't been done before, that people don't have all these unattainable expectations for and show us what they can do.

Dreamwave has, I think, left a bad taste in our mouths with its G1 run, and it would be a bad move for IDW to go in that direction.

Also, if any of them are reading this - Make Megatron a tank! Seriously badass mode and he could still have a huge arm cannon.

Roadstripe
2005-06-05, 09:50 PM
Quoth Osku:
Ah, but it's not going to be "Generation 1". It's going to be "Transformers". Yes similar to "G1", but not the same. If you're familiar with Marvel's "Ultimates" line, that's the comparison IDW people have used the most.So, in essence, this is another continuity with the story slate (more or less) wiped clean, yet still distinctly 'G1-esque' (not unlike the movie).
That's good. There'd be less argument over whether the Japanese series should apply or whether we should follow the cartoon's direction or one of the comics'.

Purists won't like it, but, in most cases, no one markets to purists if they want to stay in business.

Denyer
2005-06-05, 11:44 PM
as for megatron's alt mode... heaven only knows that they can't go and keep him as a gun because "it's not viable in the toy field anymore"... if he ends up as a tank or jet, I'm going to go medieval on someone... You do that. Most conventions have some form of armed security these days... make sure you take the original toy with you...

I think the rationales now more likely to be that a Walter P-38 (a fictional model, at that, from "The Man From UNCLE") is an anachronism. Plus that recurrent problem the US seems to have with teenagers and the volume of accessible weapons in circulation.

The kid will be younger than Spike, but no age bracket was mentioned.I'm a little suss about that.

Aparently he's picked up on people coments on message boards (maybe even this one?) that he can sometimes over use Big Grim and as a result he may concentrate on some other characters for a while.Excellent. I love the big bruisers, but the panel time could rewardingly be spread around to characters who've had less of it.

Originally posted by Bodycount
G1 getting a makeover and a new story...
Good.
Old trash belongs in the dumpster.Beast Wars fan? Funny how older material was selected to underpin that. Or do you prefer the Armada kids?

There are a lot of retro-styled digital radios around these days, so a combi unit for Soundwave wouldn't be out of the question... assuming no-one can think of something more mobile connected with communication that would allow for smaller spy Decepticons.

Is minidisc also an anachronism by now?

RID Scourge
2005-06-06, 12:24 AM
New modes? I might actually pick it up, then . . .

DrSpengler
2005-06-06, 12:27 AM
So classic G1 characters with new yet similar (perhaps) alt modes?

I'm cool with that. Alternators tie-in? That'd make my day.

barney
2005-06-06, 12:40 AM
I'm fine with everything so far.

Originally posted by Osku
Simon also again confirmed no Spike and Sparkplug, nor would the new human kid be a mechanic. The kid will be younger than Spike, but no age bracket was mentioned. IDW, and Hasbro, are hoping that the comics 'fresh start' will pull in the next generation of Transformers fans, to keep the brand going into the future."
I'm fine with no Spike or Sparkplug too, but I sincerely hope that the kid isn't an annoying pipsqueak. If he is an annoyance, then here's hoping he gets squished by Bumblebee transforming with the little fella inside him! :cool: :laugh:

Chromia
2005-06-06, 12:46 AM
.but go ahead now and call me a "Gee wun fanboy wanker". I'm sure several of you would want to at this point...

*points at God Jinrai*

Sorry! And just kidding, by the way. I'm a certifiable G1 fangirl myself. :p

However, if the TF were, well, transforming for disguise...then it would make perfect sense to have them update thier forms to blend in here on Earth.

:)

Civ
2005-06-06, 01:50 AM
Admittedly, I'm a bit weary of this new kid. He's going to be younger than Spike (I'm assuming cartoon Spike) and he's not going to be a mechanic, which is giving me horrendous flashbacks of me cringing to the likes of Rad, Carlos, Fred, and the other kid (Ralph?) from Armada. I hope IDW doesn't go down this route of what's been done in the past as far as human kids are concerned.

wreckie
2005-06-06, 05:32 AM
Originally posted by Civ
Admittedly, I'm a bit weary of this new kid. He's going to be younger than Spike (I'm assuming cartoon Spike) and he's not going to be a mechanic, which is giving me horrendous flashbacks of me cringing to the likes of Rad, Carlos, Fred, and the other kid (Ralph?) from Armada. I hope IDW doesn't go down this route of what's been done in the past as far as human kids are concerned.

Of course he's going to be younger than Spike. Mr Witwicky would be in his mid 40's by now, which isn't their target demographic. ;) I'm betting the new character will be in late adolescence to early adulthood, around 17-21.

I'm also betting he wont think yellow wellies and a hard hat count as casualwear.

This reboot is WAY overdue. Dreamwave had the chance to do it, but didn't want to take the risk of alienating hardcore fans like us. But as Russell T Davies (Exec Producer of the new Doctor Who) said: "if you chase a cult, you just end up becoming a smaller cult."

Whether following the cartoon continuity, the Marvel comics continuity or Dreamwave's convoluted mixture of the two, you end up putting writers into a creative straightjacket. At some point in every long-running franchise, be it TV, film or comic book, you need to rid yourself of all the creative baggage that's weighing you down and find out exactly why the idea was a good one in the first place.

To switch metaphors, I imagine the trick will be to throw out the old bathwater but keep the baby safe and sound.

Denyer
2005-06-06, 05:51 AM
More notes thanks to KingMob...

http://www.transfans.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3491

Includes talk about DW screwing up finances, Titan reprints, alt-modes for IDW, and apparently Furman likes Ellis for comics stuff. Nifty.

Osku
2005-06-06, 12:24 PM
It seems Furman has posted on the TFW2005 thread.
http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showpost1029574-p90.html

by simonf123
Hi everyone-- some quick responses and clarifications to the AA-feedback.

1) First of all, when I mentioned 'younger age bracket,' what I meant was we're aiming to appeal to an age group under 30! While we definitely want the long-time fans to read and enjoy the book, we also want to make it accessible and resonant with teenagers too.

2) There'll be a range of ages for the human characters, but the youngest will be maybe fifteen/sixteen. We're not going 'junior' here.

3) Character (alt-mode) updates will be by necessity only. If we can get away with using a 'classic' car in the 2005/2006 setting, we will. I have no burning urge to reinvent the wheel here, I just want to make stuff fresh and believable in a modern setting. These guys want to blend in, so they're hardly going to pick a make of car or whatever from 1984.

4) BUT, and I stress this, we are taking pains to update, not reimagine. All of us (me, EJ, Hasbro, Chris and Dan at IDW) are looking for the most natural fits, those that won't require major tweaks to the robot modes. We want you to look at any given vehicle on a page and know right off it's Wheelie (just kidding!).

5) Megatron. Honestly, I always thought the gun was a bad idea. You've got the most powerful, feared being in the known galaxy and he turns into a handgun (and mostly he needs someone else to hold and point him!). Gimme a break. No, when Megatron transforms, it should be epic, grandiose. Hardened battle veterans should feel their exhaust ports loosen.

6) And finally, trust me that I won't take everything you know and love throw it out the window. I won't. Why? Because I know and love it too. It just don't want to tell exactly the same story. Again.

Cheers-- Simon Furman (honest!)

Prime Maximus
2005-06-06, 01:41 PM
I don't know about you guys, but I'm feeling the direction they are trying to take this, though I'm still just a tad bit iffy. I'll definately will be keeping an open mind going into this. I might just like it!

I think the Transformers franchise was trying to go this route with RiD but it just failed miserably. Then Armada and Energon came out and the original idea for the TF's got completely lost in the struggle.

Bodycount
2005-06-06, 03:13 PM

as for megatron's alt mode... heaven only knows that they can't go and keep him as a gun because "it's not viable in the toy field anymore"... if he ends up as a tank or jet, I'm going to go medieval on someone...

and to me soundwave just isn't soundwave if he isn't a tape-deck...

everyone keeps saying "get rid of the old rubbish. start fresh"

correct me if I'm wrong, but this is STILL going to be a G1 COMIC, yes?

*sigh*

but go ahead now and call me a "Gee wun fanboy wanker". I'm sure several of you would want to at this point...

Your idea of Transformers are not what Transformers are. Get over it and you'd probably enjoy this hobby more.

Megatron is a tank.

Even Furman agrees that the gun alt mode is very very very stupid.

All of the recent Megatrons have been bounds superior than the old junk.

Bodycount
2005-06-06, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Prime Maximus
I don't know about you guys, but I'm feeling the direction they are trying to take this, though I'm still just a tad bit iffy. I'll definately will be keeping an open mind going into this. I might just like it!

I think the Transformers franchise was trying to go this route with RiD but it just failed miserably. Then Armada and Energon came out and the original idea for the TF's got completely lost in the struggle.

The original idea is boring and tired.

The new Transformers shows are the real Transformers...that old stuff is just that...old stuff.

Civ
2005-06-06, 03:21 PM

The new Transformers shows are the real Transformers...that old stuff is just that...old stuff.

The new Transformers are the real Transformers? So, I'm just curious where does the old stuff end and the new stuff begin? I'm assuming Beast Wars, but I could be wrong. Why isn't the "old stuff" considered to be real Transformers out of shear curiousity? Last I checked, most of them go from robots to vehicles and back again and most of them did carry Autobot or Decepticon faction insignias.

Brave Maximus
2005-06-06, 04:08 PM
Very interesting concept that the "Old stuff" is out of date. Yet Energon (the last North Am TF series) is full of G1 homages and the basic plot line (Need Energon, Autobots are out numbered) is right from G1 too....

And I mean, BW is getting old too - it's been a decade since the first figure was released (well, it was a 2 pack, but that's beside the point).

The classic elements of G1 have show through in all the series, don't just write it off as old.

I mean god, if we got rid of anything 20 years and older.....

Denyer
2005-06-06, 04:33 PM
The new Transformers shows are the real Transformers... Fuh-an-bu-oy piiile onnn!

I don't know how adults can use the word "real" in this sort of context with a straight face. Real? And now, introducing Hellmann's fake mayonnaise...Originally posted by Bodycount
Megatron is a tank.That's one thing I'm inclined to agree with. He's also looked good in green in the past, though maybe less fluorescent colours 'd suit the semi-disguise angle.Originally posted by Osku
It seems Furman has posted on the TFW2005 thread.Any staff confirmation on whether it looks legit?Originally posted by simonf123
we're aiming to appeal to an age group under 30Yup. Although most of us are still on this side of 30...

If IDW can get comics away from just being a comic store purchase, there's far better chance of new readers coming into the comic-reading hobby in general, not just with Transformers. The market needs that.Originally posted by simonf123
I know and love it too. It just don't want to tell exactly the same story. Again.*nod*

The other comments about alt-modes are also good to hear. :)

CounterPunch
2005-06-06, 10:20 PM

new interview with Chris Ryall

barney
2005-06-06, 10:26 PM
IDW seem humored and down-to-earth at least.

Denyer
2005-06-06, 10:27 PM
Cool, was just about to post that.

Plans to work with and update the existing profile books, tentative plans for early TF material that hasn't been reprinted elsewhere (I guess that'll depend on talks with Titan) and no-one's failed to spot the size of Mr Murphy's shadow.I think, since we have the luxury of months of pages and don't have to pack in a lot of action into a 90-minute film, we can delve into things a bit more deeply. Not that our book will be any sort of "decompressed" storyline or padded for a TPBAll very reassuring.

Roadstripe
2005-06-07, 03:57 AM
Quoth Bodycount:

The new Transformers shows are the real Transformers...that old stuff is just that...old stuff. I counter with:"Just because something is old, doesn't mean you throw it away."Or, in this case, it doesn't mean it isn't a "real" Transformer.

G1 may be old, but it is as much a legitimate part of the mythos as Cybertron is.

phoenixliger
2005-06-07, 07:04 AM
other comic companies have already done this w/much success.
Marvels did it w/the whole Ultimate series. DC did it with the dark knight they discussed this in the interview (what if G1 took place now instead of 20 years a go)
Im hoping there will be more emphasis on the robots in disguise
pretenders could be important and realistic this time around

Ozz
2005-06-07, 07:12 AM
Did Don Murphy state that between spewing invectives at the people who post there?

:laugh:

There are plans for more books, and especially mini-series, but that's all I really want to say right now... these minis are something special we've got planned, and as soon as I can say what, exactly, I will.

Oh, and there just might be another monthly G1 book coming in the spring, too. Kind of. Sort of.

That sounds interesting. Maybe it will be like X-books were in 80's, which is something I always wanted to see if it would work for Transformers.

BlueBlaster
2005-06-07, 11:02 AM
I think it would be great with more detective stories with Nightbeat, the dirty Autobot Detective. You could check out US 62 and UK 230-231.

RID Scourge
2005-06-07, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by CounterPunch

new interview with Chris Ryall

Well, I only had a small interest at first, but after reading that interview, I will definitely be picking it up to see what he's got.

Denyer
2005-06-07, 03:44 PM
'Nother interview from TFormers, with some background info on IDW:

http://tformers.com/article.php?sid=4663

Excerpts:

I think about 90% of people reading comics now have grown up on Transformers and I’m no different. What’s different is, I’m not approaching this a fan who wants to offer up his take on TF comics. I’m looking at it from a more broad sense, as in, “what’s worked for Transformers comics all these years? What hasn’t worked? What did the fans like and dislike?” And “how can we relaunch these comics and bring back the fans who were let down before as well as appealing to people who might check out the books for the first time?” Basically, we’re preparing to take the property into the future and build a good, long relationship with both Hasbro and the fans

Think of it like the old Marvel series was Sean Connery’s James Bond. And Dreamwave was George Lazenby… okay, I kid, they were Roger Moore. And we’re going to be the Daniel Craig version.

if you want a demographic grouping, I’d say maybe 12+. But they won’t be too hard to understand for younger kids, and they won’t talk down to adults, either. When I was a kid, I never felt like comics were written for 10-year-old Chris. I just jumped on, and if I understood, great. I liked the idea of being challenged by comic, and I resented it, even as a kid, when comics talked “down” to me. So we won’t do that here, either.

Ghirox
2005-06-08, 10:14 AM
I have a mixed feeling about te Ultimate SpiderMan series - restart the stories, retelling te origin of the character was a great idea, for new reader, but, i readed the frst arc of stories, and i'm still collecting the original series ... relaunch the TF is a good idea or not (retorical question)? Obviously yes, becuase stories was restarted prior than IDW own the licence ( the BW era, the Armadfa continuity ... ), and then they need to restart again ....

Update the Alt Modes - tey need to do so, because make no sense have a story set in thew present days, and use the old mold - other than the aspect of the character, they need to mantain the base of the "personality": Optimus (for example) must be a Truck, a brave leader, and reatain his old "freedom is the right ... " attitude/quote/wisdom, but must not be the same old character we know (i e the same Truck, the same trasformation .... )

Update stories - take care of the lesson about the organic web fluid (that is from SpiderMan - the Movie) - many fans were excited about the movie, expecting something great, and the movie was a great blockbuster, BUT many person think "why an organic fluid ?" ... and the story is sculpted in the stone.

... demographic ... 12+ ... this must not mean Kid involved in a great war, defintely, not like Armada or Energon

SO, finally, we will wait, think, and we will see ...

Ghirox
2005-06-09, 09:43 AM
more about restated Spiderman:

Time ago, a miniseries called Chapter One surfaced, in an attempt to rewrite the original stories for the modern era - the problem was that they simply rewrite the same stories, changing minor detail, with a modern look of the artistic part ----> tell not only stories set in the present, tell new stories! :)

inflatable dalek
2005-06-09, 02:29 PM
Transfannet
IDW STUFF
-No Wildman on a title yet, tho he has spoke with them. IDW want to try a different style to start with, and see how it goes. If things go well, it's possible Andy could get a book from them; they want to have more product than just the one title.
In an ideal world, if he had a choice, he'd want the G1 book tho.

The most interesting thing about that was that Wildman seemed more excited and animated about just the possiability of working for IDW than I've ever seen him when talking about his work on War Within for DW... Does IDW's vision inspire him more? Or is the pay just a lot more? (in fact, if they even managed to pay anyone they'd be doing better than DW...).

Sadly, despite being a nice bloke (I had a long chat with him about the vaugeries of the British railnetwork and dodgy cab drivers) Geoff Senior doesn't seem to have any interest in doing comics at all now.

Incidently, mine was the question asking if we'd evber see the early UK stuff in tpb. I was mildly irked to learn the only chance we have of seeing Man of Iron is to buy the B&W collections to make them good enough sellers so I can buy them again in colour...

Denyer
2005-06-09, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by inflatable dalek
The most interesting thing about that was that Wildman seemed more excited and animated about just the possiability of working for IDW than I've ever seen him when talking about his work on War Within for DW... He didn't seem especially happy last year, anyway. Wildfur had just started producing art packs of the inks for DA. I reckon it's hard to get enthusiastic about drawing when the colouring and production make such a quality hit...

G, please register. It'll let you edit posts, and avoid someone else getting the account first.

Bountyhunter
2005-06-09, 04:17 PM
Lets bring some of the lesser character to the forefront for once, Sunstreaker, Trailbreaker, Gears, Skywarp, Deluxe insecticons, Windcharger, Skids, Roadbuster, Whirl and, Huffer. Or how about the ones that were once prominient characters in the cartoons but basically disappeared like Hound, Mirage, Cliffjumper, Thundercracker, Brawn, Wheeljack, and Blue/silverstreak.

Prime Maximus
2005-06-09, 05:32 PM
I think some of the TF's shouldn't get an update as far as their alts are concerned. I mean for the sake of vintage right? Like Jazz, a porshe...from 1984...would you still see those around? Sunstreaker and Sideswipe..their alts would work today only because someone could see these cars and be like whoa...check those out, I haven't seen a lamborghini that old in years.

For Bumblebee, it would make sense for an upgrade, Ironhide and Ratchet...you know what I mean?

Clay
2005-06-10, 12:00 AM

They did, and were replaced by spy satelites. The problem with satelites, though, is that they fly by in regular orbital periods. Once the people you're spying on figure this out, it's not too hard to throw a tarp over anything you want to keep secret.

Thus, SR-71s are still in service.

Roadstripe
2005-06-10, 03:46 AM
Quoth Prime Maximus:
I think some of the TF's shouldn't get an update as far as their alts are concerned. I mean for the sake of vintage right?...
For Bumblebee, it would make sense for an upgrade, Ironhide and Ratchet...you know what I mean? I'll agree with Ironhide and Ratchet, but Bumblebee? True, he could become a new Beetle and get away with it, but there still are plenty of old Beetles buzzing about the streets. How about this: Bumblebee starts as an old Beetle and becomes a new Beetle when he upgrades to Goldbug in seven or twelve years. :p

Nevermore
2005-06-10, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by Ghirox

Time ago, a miniseries called Chapter One surfaced, in an attempt to rewrite the original stories for the modern era - the problem was that they simply rewrite the same stories, changing minor detail, with a modern look of the artistic part ----> tell not only stories set in the present, tell new stories! :)

UGH. Chapter One. I had just managed to forget that the damn thing exists, thank you. :rant:

:p

Prime Maximus
2005-06-10, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Ghirox

Isn't that almost what DW was doing with G1 too?

Denyer
2005-06-13, 04:08 AM
'Nother interview, this one conducted by KingMob:

http://www.seibertron.com/energonpub/viewtopic.php?t=67514

Offers some background on IDW, and a bit on Chris Ryall's work on the Shaun of the Dead comic series.

Interesting TF excerpts:we’re gonna pack an awful lot into each issue. [...] I’m just not one for the whole idea of “decompression.” That word should maybe be switched with “meandering” in a lot of books that say they’re doing decompressed storylines.We’ve talked to Guido Guidi and James Raiz, among others, both of whom are doing some work for us now. With more to come. Transformers have been on Earth a lot longer than any human character in the books have been alive, so it seems to me that someone or other would’ve discovered them along the way. Tough to keep anything that size hidden forever… so I’m sure that certain people in various countries’ governments know of them, and have their own plans. They might even be working with them… and also working to discredit the average person who reports a sighting. But I’m sure there are Web sites and conspiracy sites out there that talk about these sightings… which is a small tease for something we’re going to drop on everyone between now and when the 0 issue launches. Hmm... 'real' conspiracy spoof site? The interactive approach has certainly worked well for the recent BBC Doctor Who series...

Ghirox
2005-06-13, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by Prime Maximus
Isn't that almost what DW was doing with G1 too?

Chapter One or tell new stories? What they did, in your opinion?

The best example of restarted stories, overall, is the Ultimate line (Marvel comics)

Unsure about "real" site and their cooperation, but the fact that governement have their own plan about TF, while this type of site speak about sighting, sound realistic .... sort of TF X Files .... could work, probably, "mantaining a Robot point of wiew" as i stated in various movie related discussion

RID Scourge
2005-06-16, 02:12 PM
So, um, I really haven't been following this too much, but have they announced a release date yet?

Ozz
2005-06-16, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by RID Scourge
So, um, I really haven't been following this too much, but have they announced a release date yet?

#0 in October, #1 in January and then monthly.

Possible other series, minis and one-shots.

RID Scourge
2005-06-16, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Ozz
#0 in October, #1 in January and then monthly.

Possible other series, minis and one-shots.

Nice. Thanks for the info.

Nevermore
2005-06-17, 01:34 PM
Off-topic discussion about characters that died in the cartoon has been moved here (http://tfarchive.com/community/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31083). Please keep the discussion in this thread on topic, thank you.