PDA

View Full Version : e-Hobby exclusive Laser Ultra Magnus | Update: Official English bio on page 2

Nevermore
2005-12-16, 02:17 PM
http://www.e-hobby.co.jp/cgi-bin/omc?&port=33301&req=PRODUCT&code=tfe23

Ewwww.

Cliffjumper
2005-12-16, 02:21 PM
http://www.e-hobby.co.jp/media/e_gentei/tfe23_l.jpg

That's awesome!

Okay, I'm lying.

Bountyhunter
2005-12-16, 02:30 PM
not sure what to say. it is better then Twincast. . . that's not saying much though.

Nevermore
2005-12-16, 02:47 PM
How many "Ultra Magnus" repaints of Optimus Prime does this make now?

Hasbro:
G1 (& reissue)
Armada Super-Con => Universe Battle in a Box

Takara:
Tatakae => Scramble City (& reissue)
WSTF
Masterpiece
Laser reissue

Denyer
2005-12-16, 03:09 PM
Ow. Retinas hurt.

Optim Shi
2005-12-16, 03:20 PM
When I read the subject line, I was actually excited...until I saw that picture. Ewww! Actually, I'm not a huge fan of the colors on the Laser Prime, either. The best paint of this model is Scourge/Nemesis Prime from the RiD series.

Cyclone_X
2005-12-16, 03:22 PM
wow, he's not all white :p

why not a Laser Rodimus version :D (j/k)

dedicon
2005-12-16, 03:26 PM
Darn it! he goes with such a good constrast to my RID Scourge....yet he is ugly...

Clay
2005-12-16, 03:37 PM
Someone please tell Takara to stop that.

Halfshell
2005-12-16, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Cyclone_X
why not a Laser Rodimus version :D (j/k)

Please don't give them ideas.

RID Scourge
2005-12-16, 05:02 PM
Hmmm . . . not the worst thing they've put out. I might be tempted to pick it up, which says a lot, considering I didn't pick up Masterpiece Magnus.

inflatable dalek
2005-12-16, 08:03 PM
I bet they were kicking themselves that they've just wasted Orion Pax on Kup when this toy was waiting in the wings...

-Predaking-
2005-12-16, 08:12 PM
Seriously.. they need to stop with the baby blue/white color scheme it's bad enough to induce vomiting.

ravimus prime
2005-12-16, 08:55 PM
not the worst...but still terrible

inflatable dalek
2005-12-16, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by -Predaking-
Seriously.. they need to stop with the baby blue/white color scheme it's bad enough to induce vomiting.

If you were to vomit on it you'd probably end up with the original Laser Rod Prime colour scheme...

Cyberstrike nTo
2005-12-16, 09:48 PM
It's ok. :\ :\
I've seen better, but I've seen worse (like TF:C Downshift's crappy paintjob).

Unicron
2005-12-16, 11:35 PM
If that thing were a little uglier, I might consider getting one.

DVN
2005-12-17, 12:13 AM
too...bright...can't...see...*pulls a pair of sunglasses out of his pocket* that's better. :D
I think they're thinking 'third times the charm' when it comes to this mould. additionally, i think the RiD scourge version was better, except for the pink sword.

chimung
2005-12-17, 11:27 PM
Needs a remolded head.

Zisteau
2005-12-18, 12:17 AM
nice idea, but they got the color scheme all wrong.

Nevermore
2005-12-18, 12:43 AM
it's supposed to be a mix between the white cab robot mode and the red/blue cab/trailer combined robot mode of the original toy.

Roadstripe
2005-12-19, 05:03 AM
I couldn't help but laugh.

Really, I don't think an Optimus repainted as Ultra Magnus is all that bad of an idea IF they'd only make new ultra-mode armor/trailer which works with the old toy. (Unlikely due to cost restraints, I know.)

Sixswitch
2005-12-19, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by Roadstripe

Really, I don't think an Optimus repainted as Ultra Magnus is all that bad of an idea IF they'd only make new ultra-mode armor/trailer which works with the old toy. (Unlikely due to cost restraints, I know.)

And because Laser Rod Prime didn't have an ultra mode.

I actually fairly like this. Blue is too garish, but it's passable. Still, I'd rather the original and won't be getting it.

-GB

Angelophile
2005-12-19, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Sixswitch
And because Laser Rod Prime didn't have an ultra mode.

I actually fairly like this. Blue is too garish, but it's passable. Still, I'd rather the original and won't be getting it.

-GB

Presumably since it's just a photoshop mock up, rather than an actual product shot, the blue will be less vivid...

BlueSkids
2005-12-19, 11:50 PM
Holy Primus... :wtf:

Cliffjumper
2005-12-20, 04:40 AM
Originally posted by Angelophile
Presumably since it's just a photoshop mock up, rather than an actual product shot, the blue will be less vivid...

I remember people saying similar things about Hauler...

The GHX
2005-12-20, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Angelophile

Yes, it's photoshopped, but still a bad idea.

An Ulta mode is a good idea, but i tink that they are not working on this, just repainting another Optimus into another Magnus ... please stop!!

Angelophile
2005-12-20, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Cliffjumper
I remember people saying similar things about Hauler...

Who?

Cliffjumper
2005-12-20, 02:17 PM
Best First at Transfans. Though we're talking a post at another board two years ago, so I don't really have total recall I'm afraid.

Halfshell
2005-12-20, 02:36 PM
Nah, people justified Hauler and Sunstorm with "It's just a mockup - it'll be much more sedate in reality."

Optimistic bastards.

Cliffjumper
2005-12-20, 04:26 PM
Has something got confused here? Me, for example? Just to reiterate, I pretty much meant what Brend said - when eHobby first released the promo images for the Hauler/Sunstorm pair (aka the bit where they started getting really ****ing desperate...), quite a few people were saying that the [[Photoshop]] nature of the photos made them look a lot poorer than the finished toys would be. But they were still as lurid as ****.

Halfshell
2005-12-20, 04:40 PM
And I was just confirming what you said, as you said you weren't sure (?), but expanding so that it's not just a case of BF saying it. I think many people said it.

Though it's possible that Angelophile was "who"ing Hauler. Though iirc the official name is Road Hauler. (Or Load Hauler, if anybody wants to fight about it).

Angelophile
2005-12-20, 04:43 PM
Sorry, yeah I was asking who Hauler was and why he was being held up as an example, rather than who said what.

Guess I should have been a bit clearer about that.

Cliffjumper
2005-12-20, 05:06 PM
Ahhhh, so everyone's confused. We're on familiar ground...

This was, IIRC, the e-hobby pre-release shot: -

http://transformers.iespana.es/transformers/hauler_sunstorm.jpg

I still don't think they look PS'd, though the Laser Mags does (the legs, especially). With Hauler/Road Hauler and Sunstorm, the finished version didn't look any better: -

http://tfsource.com/Ebay/cropped88_89.JPG

Nevermore
2005-12-20, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by Cliffjumper
aka the bit where they started getting really ****ing desperate...

You mean as in "oh crap! We don't have any unused Diaclone color schemes for those molds we can have Ichikawa come up with a bio for, so we will just search the cartoon for any obscure inspirations instead"?

Though Detritus is screaming "desperate" even more... Are his colors actually based on anything?

Roadstripe
2005-12-21, 05:09 AM
Does Battle Convoy have the G2 Autobot insignia on its truck doors? I ask as I notice that Laser Magnus has such a symbol visible under his armpit. I certainly know the original US version of Laser Prime had no such insignia there.

Quoth Nevermore:
Though Detritus is screaming "desperate" even more... Are his colors actually based on anything?A desert jeep paintjob mixed with standard Junkion rustbucket colors?

Cliffjumper
2005-12-21, 05:42 AM
Originally posted by Nevermore
You mean as in "oh crap! We don't have any unused Diaclone color schemes for those molds we can have Ichikawa come up with a bio for, so we will just search the cartoon for any obscure inspirations instead"?

That's the one... and they were doing so well, having moved away from the pointless black/clear versions. The little run with the first few TF Collection issues, excluding Gold Meister, is the best thing eHobby ever did.

Nevermore
2005-12-21, 07:59 AM
Though even Gold Meister had a precedence (http://www.geocities.com/futuristgroup/vdiaclonecampaign.html)...

Lord Zarak
2005-12-21, 10:19 AM
I actually quite like it.

Have no idea why, maybe because it's so bright, and not dull and boring.

Angelophile
2005-12-21, 11:03 AM
Hmm, no, those other shots don't look Photoshopped. The Mags definitely is though.

And Sunstorm's hideous, by the way.

Cliffjumper
2005-12-21, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Nevermore
Though even Gold Meister had a precedence (http://www.geocities.com/futuristgroup/vdiaclonecampaign.html)...

Yeh... it was just a bit of a shame they didn't use some imagination for that one and even just use a different livery for the car... I suppose the argument against is that Jazz' face is just too unique. My big problem with Gold Meistar is the same as with the earlier eHobby ones - while I rarely actually play with TFs of late, it'd be nice to have the option there, and a big gold version of Jazz loses interest in this unless you want to do some weird remake of Golden Lagoon where only he, Highbeam, Slingshot and this Gobot I have get involved.

Nevermore
2005-12-22, 09:31 AM
Now with vehicle mode...

the GHX
2005-12-22, 11:20 AM
OH my Primus NOOOOOO

the blue used on trailer can cause suicide, cyberwasp infestation, cancer and your collection of TF toy to collapse into a black hole .....OK, stop laughing, but why at least not white? IF we must be afflicted from the WRP (white repaint plague), why they doesn't work on a decent color scheme?

Cliffjumper
2005-12-22, 01:33 PM
Christ, the cab mode's alsmot passable, if rather bland, but the blue on that trailer? Christ, even going for the darker one would be better. As a homage to Magnus, surely the blue should be all one tone?

inflatable dalek
2005-12-22, 04:31 PM
Well, he'd pass the Daz doorstep challenge...

Nevermore
2005-12-26, 06:44 PM
They added a pic of the base mode.

Nevermore
2006-01-06, 03:30 PM
Official English translation of the bio.

http://www.e-hobby.co.jp/cgi-bin/omc?&port=33301&req=PRODUCT&code=tfe23#english

Long version:

http://www.e-hobby.co.jp/texts/e_gentei/ultramagnus_e.html

Roadstripe
2006-01-07, 02:57 AM
Certainly interesting. Laser Ultra Magnus is combining elements of the Japanese Headmasters cartoon, U.S. Generation 2 comic and tech specs, and the Alignment mini-novella in a way that contradicts neither Japanese continuity nor the Marvel comics continuity. Plus, this appears to be the first eHobby release that directly references a previous release (rather than a toy released at the same time).

I've been warming up to this Magnus, and this tech spec certainly makes him more interesting.