PDA

View Full Version : IDW "Hearts of Steel" mini-series announcement + Guido on art!

Denyer
2006-03-02, 12:48 AM
Information at the link below, with lots and lots of interesting design sketches:

http://www.idwpublishing.com/titles/transformers/hos.shtml

http://tfarchive.com/visions/temp/hos_shockwave.jpg

dEcEpTiCoN MEGAtron
2006-03-02, 03:20 AM
OMG! Optimus is a truck, not a monkey or train! ;)

Nice looking alt modes, although they may not be final.

So we've had stories in present day, the future, WWII and now the industrial revolution. Interesting.

Roadstripe
2006-03-02, 05:12 AM
I like the Insecticons' combined vehicle mode. It's very Reflector-ish only with characters we are familiar with.

thefallen1
2006-03-02, 09:37 AM
wow the designs look incredible :)

MeGrimlock
2006-03-02, 11:28 AM
Awesome.

Bluecatcinema
2006-03-02, 12:09 PM
So, Shockwave is going to be making an appearence too, eh? I have to applaud IDW; Making him a boat Transfomer. There weren't too many of those in G1.

inflatable dalek
2006-03-02, 01:35 PM
Some nice redesigns (though I'm not sold on the seekers...), but I can't get psyched about a story that seems to exsist for no other reason than "Wouldn't it be cool if the TF's turned into X, Y & Z!". You need a good solid "What if..." to justify it. To me at least anyways...

Denyer
2006-03-02, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by inflatable dalek
You need a good solid "What if..." to justify it. Along the lines of what you suggested, I'd also very much like to see stuff that isn't human history in an Elseworlds-style book, though... I suspect the "redesign characters" schtick will ultimately have limited shelf-life.

However, the way Chuck Dixon has been described (as having a strong interest in the period and researching his comics well) I think I'll enjoy this one...

Dreadwing
2006-03-02, 03:33 PM
I realy like the Megatron and Shockwave designs.

Skowl
2006-03-03, 12:44 AM
Love the concept, love the execution! Shockwave and Starscream look amazing!

Megatron and the Insecticons are pretty awesome as well!

Grandmaster Shockwaeve
2006-03-03, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by inflatable dalek:
Some nice redesigns (though I'm not sold on the seekers...), but I can't get psyched about a story that seems to exsist for no other reason than "Wouldn't it be cool if the TF's turned into X, Y & Z!". You need a good solid "What if..." to justify it. To me at least anyways...

I dunno, I kinda like the idea of "what if the volcano had erupted 3 999 900 years later?" I think as a short miniseries it could work very well, provided an interesting story can be made of it... the difference in technology could be interesting, although the preponderance of decepticon designs already shows the limited application of the idea of autobots.

Maybe the impracticality of trains can drive the Autobots to help this John Henry fellow develop the first efficient automobiles? All the while Megatron is gathering up all the coal he can get his grubby mits on, but it won't matter once "gasoline" takes over!

Heh. Or I should leave the writing to the writers...

On the topic of the designs, I think they're mostly good... Shockwave as Tidalwave is OK, and the biplane seekers are pretty cool. Where'd Astrotrain's bat wings come from, though?

Roadstripe
2006-03-03, 05:03 AM
Quoth inflatable dalek:
Some nice redesigns (though I'm not sold on the seekers...), but I can't get psyched about a story that seems to exsist for no other reason than "Wouldn't it be cool if the TF's turned into X, Y & Z!". You need a good solid "What if..." to justify it. To me at least anyways...Quoth Denyer:
Along the lines of what you suggested, I'd also very much like to see stuff that isn't human history in an Elseworlds-style book, though... I suspect the "redesign characters" schtick will ultimately have limited shelf-life.While the redesigned characters schtick is obviously a big draw for the crowds, they're not the main focus of the story anymore than they were with the G.I.Joe/Transformers crossovers or War Within or even (most of) the official, post-G1 material. The redesigns are only a gimmick to draw in potential buyers. Any storyteller with brains knows that the gimmicks are only a vehicle for the characters as they act out the story.

Quoth Grandmaster Shockwaeve:
Maybe the impracticality of trains can drive the Autobots to help this John Henry fellow develop the first efficient automobiles?I suspect the "John Henry" mentioned is this American folk hero (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Henry_%28folklore%29). He's more likely to play an everyman role than anything else.

Where'd Astrotrain's bat wings come from, though? They look like they probably are usually kept furled up along the train mode's sides and are then deployed in "flying train" mode. I see it as not unlike how a bird's wings might be spread.

Cliffjumper
2006-03-03, 05:15 AM
Originally posted by Roadstripe
anymore than they were with the G.I.Joe/Transformers crossovers

Erm, those were pretty much the whole reason those series existed. The cliffhanger for the second issue of DD's first "effort" was Soundwave with a Cobra logo; he whole draw was "I wonder what they're going to do with X?"; the second DD series more or less revolved around the revelation of what Transformer was disguised as what.

The problem is, without wanting to exonerate Josh TW@T Blaylock and Dan Jolley from their abysmal attempts at script writing, that this is pretty much what Transformers fans seem to want, as the replies in this topic generally show - "OMG teh character models R SeX0r!", not "I wonder if this is actually going to have a valid reason for existing beyond them wanting money, and making the series because they can?". "Rock 'n' Roll Out" had decent character models.

Roadstripe
2006-03-03, 09:22 AM
Quoth Cliffjumper:
Erm, those were pretty much the whole reason those series existed. The cliffhanger for the second issue of DD's first "effort" was Soundwave with a Cobra logo; he whole draw was "I wonder what they're going to do with X?"; the second DD series more or less revolved around the revelation of what Transformer was disguised as what.Hm. Point.
Though they could be seen as confirming what I was saying, of what happens when the writers focus too much on the gimmicks.

The problem is, without wanting to exonerate Josh TW@T Blaylock and Dan Jolley from their abysmal attempts at script writing, that this is pretty much what Transformers fans seem to want, as the replies in this topic generally show - "OMG teh character models R SeX0r!", not "I wonder if this is actually going to have a valid reason for existing beyond them wanting money, and making the series because they can?". "Rock 'n' Roll Out" had decent character models. I don't quite agree. I think the fans aren't just drooling over the character models. They're also drooling over the storytelling possibilities those designs represent. Unfortunately, as you've pointed out, that doesn't mean writers will necessarily follow up on the possibilities.

Osku
2006-03-03, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Cliffjumper
... that this is pretty much what Transformers fans seem to want, as the replies in this topic generally show - "OMG teh character models R SeX0r!", not "I wonder if this is actually going to have a valid reason for existing beyond them wanting money, and making the series because they can?". "Rock 'n' Roll Out" had decent character models.
Disagree as well.

I like seeing new designs (Insectrain is a hilarious for example) and/or nods to earlier works. For example Shockwave's design is clearly borrowed from Armada's Tidalwave, and the layout is very similar to Shockwave's reappearance in late Marvel US issue (around #70 or something). These are things I can comment at the moment.

It's hard to comment on the script as all we have so far is the premise of story. At least IDW's Chris Ryall has claimed that they release these mini-series only when they have a story worth telling. I'm willing to give them a change. :)

thefallen1
2006-03-03, 10:45 AM
i'll wait for the review from here before i buy my copie ^_^

inflatable dalek
2006-03-03, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Cliffjumper
Erm, those were pretty much the whole reason those series existed. The cliffhanger for the second issue of DD's first "effort" was Soundwave with a Cobra logo;

I didsn'ty really understand that- All the other TF;s were rebuilt as Cobra war machines but they decide to turn Soundwave into a cassette?! how'd they even know he was the comunications guy?

Darth Zax
2006-03-03, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by dEcEpTiCoN MEGAtron
OMG! Optimus is a truck, not a monkey or train! ;)

so, when was optimus prime a monkey exactly?

Denyer
2006-03-03, 05:34 PM
Primal Prime. Created from Optimus Prime and the Optimal Optimus armour, though it's a splitting rather than Prime being directly reformatted.

Darth Zax
2006-03-03, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by Denyer
Primal Prime. Created from Optimus Prime and the Optimal Optimus armour, though it's a splitting rather than Prime being directly reformatted.

damned,

touche.

Roadstripe
2006-03-04, 07:13 AM
Quoth inflatable dalek:
I didsn'ty really understand that- All the other TF;s were rebuilt as Cobra war machines but they decide to turn Soundwave into a cassette?! how'd they even know he was the comunications guy? Presumably, Megatron told them.

Soundwave's in-story purpose was to be a mobile command unit out on the field. Apparently, the writers drew a blank on what would be a good alternate mode for Soundwave and his minions.
And, yes, his "redesign" is still disappointing.

DrEvil
2006-03-05, 09:40 AM
All of the characters look great. Although I'm not too fussed on Astrotrain although I see where its from.

Megatron is a very nice design. I do remember seeing it from fourth_heir I believe. Prime as a train, and most likely all Autobots as trains will be interesting idea. Although, there's something telling me he needs a moustache.

Oh and Shockwave. Very nice design. I like the second head better though.