PDA

View Full Version : [Devil's Due] G.I. Joe vs Transformers III: Art of War

Denyer
2006-03-03, 07:16 PM
The first issue is due out on March 8th.

Preview: http://www.devilsdue.net/5pagers/jvtfIII01/index.html
Issue #2 preview: http://www.devilsdue.net/5pagers/jvtfIII02/index.html

I'm guessing one thread will suffice for the Art of War mini-series, judging by the level of interest in other forums. If anyone's picking this up and can write in a similarly in-depth manner as this (http://tfarchive.com/comics/idw/beastwars1.php), we'd appreciate the reviews for use on the site.

Thefallenone
2006-03-07, 09:36 AM
i for one look forward too receive it this week :D but i have a question, i have never read the previous G.I.Joe Vs. Transformers is it mandatory to read the previous Graphic Novels/Books???

Cliffjumper
2006-03-07, 03:15 PM
Yes, it's mandatory. They find you haven't, they'll come round, tear up the comic, stamp on your balls, and sling you in jail for a year.

Denyer
2006-03-07, 03:22 PM
Devil's Due would probably like it if people picked up the two trade paperbacks they've put back into print for the purpose, but it doesn't seem to be a very complicated story -- I'd say you'll be able to follow it without much trouble.

Halfshell
2006-03-07, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Denyer
I'd say you'll be able to follow it without much trouble.

Right. That means you get to field all the inevitable questions he'll come up with off the back of your recommendation.

Cliffjumper
2006-03-07, 03:33 PM
is DUke Omega Supreme from Cybertron? :D

do U have Scarlit pR0n? :D

Actually, considering the :smokin: smiley was suspended because of one member overusing it to the others' annoyanbce, surely the :D can go the same way, especially as it still reminds me of that Jimmy Carr HOTSPOT.

Denyer
2006-03-07, 03:57 PM
http://tfarchive.com/visions/temp/smiley_offtopic.gif

Cliffjumper
2006-03-07, 04:01 PM
http://tfarchive.com/visions/temp/smiley_offtopic.gif

Oh, right, let's all get back to talking about the comic that's not out until tomorrow.

Actually, I should thank Devil's Due for that preview, as it's cured my comic completism. I'll wait for Fallen to buy all the issues, then go round his house and steal them. Or kill him. Whichever.

Denyer
2006-03-07, 04:12 PM
I'm sure we can get summaries for guides from somewhere...

DrSpengler
2006-03-08, 11:13 PM
The issue was pretty "meh". I wasn't too disoriented, having skipped volume 2, but the story seemed just as unimpressive as it was in Volume 1 (which is why I quit in the first place). I don't see myself persuing this thing to the finish, sad to say.

I wouldn't have jumped back on in the first place, but I love Udon's art and figured I'd give the series another shot on that merit alone. But perdy art just isn't enough, I guess.

Thefallenone
2006-03-09, 09:36 AM
Cliffjumper you'll never get my comics :laugh: i have a very good security system :p

hope issue 1 arrives this weekend :D

inflatable dalek
2006-03-10, 02:24 PM
I'll be picking it up as a car crash is allways fun to watch if you're not in it...

Thefallenone
2006-03-10, 02:27 PM
well a car crash is not fun if someone you know is in it :glance:

Denyer
2006-03-10, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by inflatable dalek
I'll be picking it up as a car crash is allways fun to watch if you're not in it... If I can pester you into summaries, that'd be cool. Don't feel you have to review it, though, unless you'd find doing so... er, entertaining...

inflatable dalek
2006-03-10, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Thefallenone
well a car crash is not fun if someone you know is in it :glance:

*Must... Resist... Temptation... To... Do... Bannable... Joke...*

Ahem, if I'm the only person who's actually goign to read the thing I'll have a go at the reviews (though it'll probably be better if someone who can recognise half the GI Joe cast did it...)

Which reminds me I've still got two Titan reviews on the boil...

Thefallenone
2006-03-10, 02:38 PM
i only recognise, Scarlett and Cobra command :glance:

Halfshell
2006-03-10, 02:54 PM
(though it'll probably be better if someone who can recognise half the GI Joe cast did it...)

Au contraire, mon ami.

The entertainment value is always higher when the reviewer has no clue what's going on.

inflatable dalek
2006-03-10, 02:57 PM
Well, after badly misunderstanding a post of Denyers in another thread I'm now seriously doubting my ability to read coherantly anyway. Lucky it's a comic that isn't really made worse by illiteracy.

incidently, would the preference for reviews by Bombshell style "review each issue by itself as it comes out" musings or Cliffy style "Review them all together in context after the series has finished" style bananas?

Denyer
2006-03-10, 03:20 PM
I'd prefer getting stuff up roughly in sync with releases -- it's interesting to read stuff including reactions rather than just retrospective.

(Still, retrospective is probably gonna creep into my Infiltration reviews.)

Commander Shockwav
2006-03-10, 06:07 PM
Not sure what possessed me to buy this, but I did anyway.....

And loved it!

For the first time ever, I can honestly say an issue of this redundant crossover was worth reading.

Art was fantastic, and I actually found the story to be intriguing.

Some things were cheesy, of course, and because its a TF/G.I.Joe crossover, there had to be a scene with Bumblebee getting the crap knocked out of him. There's even a line in there where Cobra Commander says "Of all the Autobots, I hate that little yellow one the most!" Awesome. I wish someone would make a collage of all the scenes from these crossovers with Bumblebee biting it. Anybody want to do this for me?

Despite moments of uber cheesiness, really enjoyed this issue. And it was a long read! Much longer than most TF comics of late.

I give it a "A-". Definitely a pleasant surprise.

inflatable dalek
2006-03-10, 07:41 PM
Comic book guy didn't have it for me, perhaps a rare attempt at quality control?

Sociopathic Autobot
2006-03-12, 07:22 AM
The first two DD cross-overs died for me after the second issue. The first issue was usually enough to turn me off the comic, but I gave it the second issue just in case.

This one is definately different from the last two. I was genuinely interested in where this story intends to go.

I prefer how they are going about Serpentor, a very interesting angle.

Cobratron even made me smile. A bit of a "What the **** is that?" smile, but that is more than any of DDs past attempts at cheesy humor can say.

Loki
2006-03-12, 09:32 PM
I enjoyed this more than 'Infiltration' (but that's getting better now). I liked the other series too. Totally shallow and predictable but fun in a 'bubblegum' sort of a way.
But did I miss something... Megatron is being disassembled and then later somehow he's in gun form with CC as well. I thought they'd missed printing a page.

Commander Shockwav
2006-03-16, 04:33 PM
If this isn't one of the most kickass pieces of TF art I have ever seen, I don't know what is! (Its from #4 of GiJoe/TF)

http://comicsnewsi.net/g/?mode=view&album=DDP%2FSolicitations%2FJune_06&pic=10.jpg&dispsize=800&start=0

inflatable dalek
2006-03-16, 04:44 PM
It's still the Pat Lee Pose (tm)...

Commander Shockwav
2006-03-16, 04:46 PM
It's still the Pat Lee Pose (tm)...

Pat Lee? This is far, far from Pat Lee.

Just look at the cool way he's holding his sword. That's called "being creative". Most artist would have drawn that sword in the normal position.

Anybody know who drew this?

AndyTurnbull
2006-03-16, 06:05 PM
I thought issue one was absolutely terrible. Nice art from Joe Ng but that's it.

As for that art for cover 4, it's good to see the Decepticon's cadre of hunters when combined know the best way to hold a sword to inflict maximum damage. That's not cool, that's daft.

Andy

Cliffjumper
2006-03-16, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by Commander Shockwav
If this isn't one of the most kickass pieces of TF art I have ever seen, I don't know what is! (Its from #4 of GiJoe/TF)

http://comicsnewsi.net/g/?mode=view&album=DDP%2FSolicitations%2FJune_06&pic=10.jpg&dispsize=800&start=0

That looks like one of those terrible bits of art from TF: Generations (you know, the Japanese book) with the combiners all showing off their lunchboxes. You know the one.

In short, laughable basically.

Commander Shockwav
2006-03-16, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by Cliffjumper

In short, laughable basically.

What the **** are ya lookin at?

That is the coolest Predaking pic I have ever seen.

AndyTurnbull
2006-03-16, 09:54 PM
To each their own.

I'd say Guido Guidi's lithograph urinates all over it myself. He has Predaking holding his sword in a way that is both sensible and threatening.

Andy

Commander Shockwav
2006-03-16, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by AndyTurnbull
[B]To each their own.

Apparently so.

DrSpengler
2006-03-16, 10:33 PM
My problem with that Predaking picture isn't so mucht he pose, but that his lower and upper body don't seem to actually be connected. Particularly, his left leg, which seems to be quite a distance away from his waist.

The way he's holding his sword doesn't bug me, but it's the fact that the Predacons look like they're still trying to combine.

Chris McFeely
2006-03-16, 10:40 PM
Wait.... is... is that his crotch? At a ninety-degree angle to his torso? Ow.

Denyer
2006-03-17, 12:17 AM
That is the coolest Predaking pic I have ever seen. Great if you like pinheads and huge shoulders, I suppose. It's a shame because Joe is evidently capable of drawing proportionately -- unfortunately he doesn't seem to have unlearned all of the bad advice he received.

Cliffjumper
2006-03-17, 04:53 PM
Yeh, part of my problem, apart from the Pat Lee perspective (we just stole his purse (http://www.shortpacked.com/d/20050831.html)), is that the leg in the foreground looks retarded - he's extended his leg, and twisted the leg through 90 degrees. The sword looks pointless. What's he actually reaching for? Roadblock, so he can fall over like some sort of beginner ballet dancer? It just looks like he's about to do the splits or something. One of the Joes is pointing at his crotch, demonstrating that in such a stupid pose, you can just jab someone in the balls.

inflatable dalek
2006-03-18, 03:11 PM
Still, it's a comendable attitude to have a cover of which the quality fully represents the comic inside.

Prowl1984
2006-03-18, 05:24 PM
Hmm, despite having not read any of the previous crossovers and having little or no knowledge of G.I. Joe, i really enjoyed this issue. The story was pretty cool but i am little confused by

a) at what part of the TF timeline is it set?
b) Megatrons head being taken apart yet acording to Cobra Commander he's trapped in his Gun-mode...

Still, i'm looking forward to the next issue. it was nice to get straight into the action and have some notable TF appearences, it was cool seeing Grimlock take down Cobratron.

fourth_heir
2006-03-27, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Prowl1984
The story was pretty cool but i am little confused by
a) at what part of the TF timeline is it set?
b) Megatrons head being taken apart yet acording to Cobra Commander he's trapped in his Gun-mode...

a) It's all taking place in it's own universe.
b) That pic is a flashback to events in the first crossover - Serpentor appears to have some of Megatron's memories.

inflatable dalek
2006-03-27, 12:47 PM
Well, after finnaly geting my grubby paws on it, it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be (it wasn't very bright of them to make the worst half dozen pages of the comic the preview...). Some oddities though:

It was very nieve of ol Optimus to expect the US government to give up all the Cybertronian tech for destruction just because the threat the battle suits had been built to fight was no more. That's like expecting the Americans after World War II to go "Well gee, as we developed Nuclear bombs to win this War I guess we don't need them any more".

Equally, it was a bit daft of the US government to invite the Autobots to the building where they were keeping Megs and co (especially considering a scientist like perceptor probably has all sorts of advanced sensors built into him).

And why was Optimus in his "G1" body now? The dialouge indicates the Autobots don't plan to come to Earth again so he doesn't need a local disguise. Did he like being a 1930's truck so much in the last mini he thought he'd go for the modern equiverlent? Or is there a missing adventure between vollumes II and III?

Considering Cobra is the main terrorist threat in this world I can't imagin the Governent using a snake based name for their secret wepon, anymore than their real world counterpart would call a new super wepon Osla M.A...

Denyer
2006-04-13, 01:15 AM
Issue #2 preview available:

http://www.devilsdue.net/5pagers/jvtfIII02/index.html

inflatable dalek
2006-04-13, 05:36 PM
Once again the Preview ius rubish (with the low being Bumblebee hiting on Arcee)- But hopefully as with the last one it's just the worst pages they've decided to show...

Aardvark
2006-04-14, 03:06 PM
I have to say I like Grimlock's alt mode design. I'll probably pick it up as I found the first issue entertaining enough
... it's just the worst pages they've decided to show...
Wait a minute I've heard that excuse before... inflatable dalek is Pat Lee! Run for it...

inflatable dalek
2006-04-14, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by Aardvark
Wait a minute I've heard that excuse before... inflatable dalek is Pat Lee! Run for it...

I can't be Pat Lee- I'm fully cloathed and my shirt rarely falls off in the style of one of those chatline ad photo's.

inflatable dalek
2006-04-22, 10:35 AM
The second isue of this seminal publication is now in my grubby hands so expect a full review at some point. Now, if BW3 could just get a proper release...

Aardvark
2006-04-26, 07:40 PM
Got #2 today. Oh dear. I like its approach to Serpentor, I'll give it that. Though the Serpentor doesn't hurt kids thing is pretty damn sickening. The artwork's pretty shockin'. The Pred/Seacon scenes are so blocky with little detail. The colouring for me is very off putting almost looks like a cinemanga novel. Nautilator looks like Direct-Hit. Still some of the poses...:eyebrow: I guess the initial pencilling wasn't spot on either.

Pred V Seacons fight is laughably bad. As is the sight of them combining. Oh Marvel's Devastator introduction wasn’t much worse.

"I don't need to explain anything let me "upload" some info into your brains.

The writing was also pretty poor. Little characterisation, bad dialogue, Bumblebee hitting on Arcee, "Bumble hurt, Grimlock Mad"

Cobra Commander comes across as a very cartoonish supervillain. First issue was promising, but I really didn’t like this, despite having characters I usually enjoy seeing i.e. Preds and Seacons.

Edit: Noticed a particularly silly typo <....<

inflatable dalek
2006-04-27, 09:22 AM
This was a big fall after the entertainingly dumb first issue. And who the hell was that woman waving her gun at Serpentor?

Aardvark
2006-04-27, 04:02 PM
Frankly I couldn't care. A title like this needs a fair amount of action scenes. But they were just so dull. I'll buy the next one because there is still potential for as you so aptly put it "An entertainingly dumb" story.

inflatable dalek
2006-04-28, 02:09 PM
Frankly I couldn't care.

Yes but I have to write a review lisiting the charecters!

Actually, as you and I seem to be the only ones still reading this perhaps no one will notice.

And why do the Preds and Seacons have Earth altmodes?

Aardvark
2006-04-28, 04:01 PM
Yes but I have to write a review lisiting the charecters!

Actually, as you and I seem to be the only ones still reading this perhaps no one will notice.

And why do the Preds and Seacons have Earth altmodes?
Yes well I don't.;)

As for the alt modes I doubt a comic of this, eh, calibre needs an excuse any more profound then “It just looks like a lion”. Another thing, is it just me or is Hotrod’s design particularly bad, even compared to the rest of the blocky no detailed cine-manga wannbe art

Commander Shockwav
2006-04-28, 04:49 PM
This was a big fall after the entertainingly dumb first issue. And who the hell was that woman waving her gun at Serpentor?

Yeah, for a minute there, I was thinking it might actually be worth buying one of these crossovers.

Issue#2 was a huge drop in quality from issue #1. Is Cobra Commander really that much like Gargamel from the Smurfs? Somone mentioned he was cartoony, and that's how I'd call it.

Having said that, I am still liking it more than any of the previous incarnations of this crossover.

Aardvark
2006-04-28, 05:13 PM
Yeah, for a minute there, I was thinking it might actually be worth buying one of these crossovers.

Issue#2 was a huge drop in quality from issue #1. Is Cobra Commander really that much like Gargamel from the Smurfs? Somone mentioned he was cartoony, and that's how I'd call it.

Having said that, I am still liking it more than any of the previous incarnations of this crossover.
Tough competition;)

Denyer
2006-05-08, 03:34 AM
Actually, as you and I seem to be the only ones still reading this perhaps no one will notice. *whipcrack* ;)

inflatable dalek
2006-05-08, 10:26 AM
I'm working on it...

BTW- Does Cobra Commander really pay his lackeys witrh checkes? Where does he bank? Does he sign them "Cobra Comander"? Are terrorist exploits tax deductable...

inflatable dalek
2006-05-09, 08:11 PM
*whipcrack* ;)

Tis done: http://tfarchive.com/community/showthread.php?s=&postid=493423#post493423

Now where's the Inflitration issue 4 review hey?

*Whipcrack*

Ford DeceptiFocus
2006-05-13, 06:02 AM
*whipcrack* ;)

Ok...so I didn't read the first two volumns, but I did pick up the first two issues of volumn 3. Since it's not in any existing continuity, I'm just enjoying it for what it is--fluff. I mean c'mon--the writer's wrote, "I'm the son of Megatron." I nearly pissed myself laughing.

I see this in the vein of the millionth installment of Friday the 13th or Nightmare on Elm Street. Sure they are wretchedly bad, but they are so full of camp that you can't help but watch it for some laughs and some entertainment.

Actually, I dig how some of the characters are being drawn--Bumblebee, Grimlock, the Seacon combined form and Predaking. How often do we get to see the later two?! So that's cool with me.

I'm ashamed to admit that I'm going to buy issues 3, 4, and 5--mainly to see if Optimus Prime has a daughter and whether or not she'll be interested in Megatron's son. It'll be better than Romeo & Juliet! haha (Obviously, I'm kidding.)

Aardvark
2006-05-13, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by Ford DeceptiFocus
I'm just enjoying it for what it is--fluff.

Yeah I would say (I’m only assuming) that is the commonly held opinion of #1 anyway. However #2 IMO was ridiculously stupid fluff, which is fine if its still a fun, enjoyable read and frankly it wasn't. This coupled with some awful artwork made for a thoroughly disappointing read especially after the first issue being so enjoyably stupid.

I see this in the vein of the millionth installment of Friday the 13th or Nightmare on Elm Street. Sure they are wretchedly bad, but they are so full of camp that you can't help but watch it for some laughs and some entertainment.

I know what you mean but again I find this applying to the first issue rather then the second. #2 is more like Wes Cravens New Nightmare. Its Freddy, in a new guise, but they had given up on the camp era, try to forget what’s gone previously, tried make it serious but ultimately it was dull, uneventful and not at all scary and as a matter of fact even more camp but in a dreary, mind numbingly boring way.

At least the one (In the many, many sequels FD13 ) where Freddy raps is unbelievably funny and entertaining, no matter how “bad” it really is.

...the Seacon combined form and Predaking. How often do we get to see the later two?! So that's cool with me.

Alas I wouldn't wish this comic on Doubleheader let alone characters whom I actually like and yearn t see. The gestalts looked pretty dire to me and their combination sequence was awe inspiringly awful.

inflatable dalek
2006-05-13, 10:55 AM
The problem with drawing the Seaey and Predy combiners exactly like their toys is that they look oddly squat.

I've given up ever identifying that Joe (tis unlikely to be any of the ones Denyer suggested) so unless they name her next issue I shall call her Bob from now on.

Ford DeceptiFocus
2006-05-14, 06:08 AM
Yeah I would say (I’m only assuming) that is the commonly held opinion of #1 anyway. However #2 IMO was ridiculously stupid fluff, which is fine if its still a fun, enjoyable read and frankly it wasn't. This coupled with some awful artwork made for a thoroughly disappointing read especially after the first issue being so enjoyably stupid.

Oddly enough, I enjoyed much of the artwork. Sure it's not perfect, but it holds a certain charm for me.

I know what you mean but again I find this applying to the first issue rather then the second. #2 is more like Wes Cravens New Nightmare. Its Freddy, in a new guise, but they had given up on the camp era, try to forget what’s gone previously, tried make it serious but ultimately it was dull, uneventful and not at all scary and as a matter of fact even more camp but in a dreary, mind numbingly boring way.

You need to watch Freddy vs. Jason for a real laugh. New Line was going to make a sequel--Freddy vs. Jason vs. Ash, but it got scrapped. However, they ARE going to REMAKE Friday the 13th (the original). Rumored to be directed by Quentin Tarentino.

Alas I wouldn't wish this comic on Doubleheader let alone characters whom I actually like and yearn t see. The gestalts looked pretty dire to me and their combination sequence was awe inspiringly awful.

I don't think this issue is nearly as bad as most are making it out to be, but it doesn't run the risk of being labeled a classic either. I REALLY like how Bumblebee & Grimlock have been drawn. But you are correct, that the two combines combined horribly--and were quite blocky.

However--at least, in my opinion--the worst part was, "Us girls have got to stick together". Gag. LOL.

Aardvark
2006-05-14, 09:03 AM
That was a pretty dire though to be fair Bumblebee hitting on Arcee was a tad more nauseating

Denyer
2006-05-25, 06:58 AM
It continues.

http://www.devilsdue.net/5pagers/jvtfIII03/index.html

"Burn rubber baby, burn rubber!"

No. Burn this, perhaps. Oh, and it gets worse...

http://www.devilsdue.net/5pagers/jvtfIII03/pages/jvtfIII_03_05.html

Aardvark
2006-05-25, 08:00 AM
"Hey Arcee, If I win you owe me a kiss"

Good God...I...I...There are no words oh wait there are but I don't want to fill my post with a load of *s, that’s not fun, not fun at all. Maybe the OTT camp leanings might make it somewhat enjoyable again…nah

inflatable dalek
2006-05-25, 03:40 PM
I'm so glasd I still gave one out of five to the last issue so I have somewhere lower to go. Can I start giving minus scores?

And is it me or is Bumblebee's robot mode charecter model slightly different than in the last two issues? And why is Scourge doing the Highland fling on the cover? How is Snake Eyes able to singlehandedly kill giant robots? Why does the full list of active and reserve Joes only include six people?

All that from five pages, imagin how evil the full comic must be...

Denyer
2006-05-25, 03:57 PM
Can I start giving minus scores? Maybe a row of burning energon cubes?

inflatable dalek
2006-05-25, 04:01 PM
Or perhaps five trees cut down to make this quietly weeping?

Still, I think Mr. Ng has finnaly found a comic where his art is the best thing in it, you go girl!

Is anyone else hoping Arcee will just let Bumblebee ride her out of sympathy so he can get all that pent up oil out his system and start acting normally?

Denyer
2006-05-25, 04:14 PM
I'm hoping it's the entire next two issues. Maybe enough people will start feeling the ick factor to march on Devil's Due's offices...

inflatable dalek
2006-05-25, 04:22 PM
I'm hoping it's the entire next two issues. Maybe enough people will start feeling the ick factor to march on Devil's Due's offices...

Anyone who lasts all five issues will probably be to busy drooling and banging their heads on walls to march on anybody.

Apart from me that is, I do that allready.

How many people on here who brought at least the first issue are planing to stay the course?

Aardvark
2006-05-25, 05:00 PM
I am.

If that's just the preview I simply have to see the rest of this car crash bonanza

inflatable dalek
2006-05-25, 05:03 PM
I'll book you into the room with the nice rubber walls next to mine.

Aardvark
2006-05-25, 09:18 PM
I wonder how much more enjoyable this thing would be if I was pissed out of my mind while reading it. Then again I started to think I was pissed out of my mind when I was reading through #2.

inflatable dalek
2006-05-26, 11:33 AM
I'll take issue three out with me and read it in the middle of the club. Bound to be a chick magnet if nothing else...

Ford DeceptiFocus
2006-06-02, 04:26 PM

Is anyone else hoping Arcee will just let Bumblebee ride her out of sympathy so he can get all that pent up oil out his system and start acting normally?

hahahhahahahah There are just too many visuals in this sentence to keep me laughing for weeks. :D Maybe his antenna transforms into his...um..cough cough...nevermind.

Aardvark
2006-06-02, 06:20 PM
Bought #3 today and read it an hour and a half ago.

First of all; http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i313/Scornflakes/Untitled-1.jpg

A cluttered mess. Some of the character models will leave you baffled and to save you time its Tentakil. Without out a doubt some of the worst and unbearably clichéd dialogue seen in Transformers for a long time. The Joes are particularly nauseating.

Butttttttttttttttttttt...........
It wasn't that bad, definitely some enjoyable moments in it and a vast improvement on 2. Not as "enjoyable" as #1 but the terrible dialogue and ludicrous story has gotten so ridiculously funny and I have to say it did leave a smile on my face.

In this way it was kind of more enjoyable than Infiltration #5 (Though no where near the quality of it...duh) Its one of those things you can really enjoy ripping the piss out of. Don't try to muster up any plausible reasons for virtually anything in this mess.

The art is still pants but once again an improvement on the last Tour De Force of utter ****. Not just blocks of colour

Now for the titbits:
The room full of the gestalt teams you'll notice Viewfind. Looks like Serpentor wants all the combiners. Its amazing he was able to rustle up all those combiners.

For Gods sake that Cannabilizer has Shockwave's arm.

The Stunticons look like Micromasters

The third last page: Is there a Scattorshot and Kup convention going on? And that Autobot in the second banel with the glowing blue eyes is clearly one of the most disturbed Autobots I've ever seen. They should give him his own comic.

Omega looks like a fat Asian man in a fish bowl.

Oh and I think we can expect Goldbug to be making an appearance soon. ;)

Oh and Bob makes another appearance.

Ford DeceptiFocus
2006-06-02, 08:13 PM
Okay, I will freely admit that I'm enjoying this series--which I know goes against the grain of popular opinion.

I actually read #3 twice within a couple of hours. When I saw all of the individual combiners together I kept thinking, "what an interesting twist it would be if we got to see some Decepticon character development & learned about the inner workings of that faction--instead of focus usually on the Autobots."

I think a Decepticon focused spin-off would be cool.

Actually the only thing that I thought was lame was spending multiple pages on the CHEESE BALL dialogue between the "I've been looking at you too Masked Man" characters. I'm not a huge history buff of GI Joe, so maybe that's why I didn't "get it". But on the full page of them making out--didn't it look like her lips were deformed?

I keep laughing when a Joe gives Grimlock orders and then Grimlock responds with piss and vinegar.

I know I've been saying this since #1 came out, but this has been a fun read. And to me, that is the joy of comics--having fun. It's GI Joe vs. Transformers...I wasn't expecting Shakesphere.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this one concludes.

That being said, I think it's unfair to compare this series to Infiltration--they are two totally different animals, taking vastly different takes on these characters.

Infiltration is good in its own way, I've enjoyed it, but I would have enjoyed it more as a TPB.

Aardvark
2006-06-02, 08:35 PM
Oh I know its unfair to compare the two, I was merely saying that despite this title's obvious shortcomings, it was in a way more enjoyable than the vastly superior Infiltration #5.

As I said from day 1 all I was hoping for was a mindless, fun title and number 1 more or less delivered that. Number 2 didn't and number 3 was as I said pretty fun.

You have to admit that Autobot with the blue eyes is pretty freakish

Ford DeceptiFocus
2006-06-02, 08:39 PM
Oh I know its unfair to compare the two, I was merely saying that despite this title's obvious shortcomings, it was in a way more enjoyable than the vastly superior Infiltration #5.

Huh? How can something be "more enjoyable" to something "vastly superior"?

As I said from day 1 all I was hoping for was a mindless, fun title and number 1 more or less delivered that. Number 2 didn't and number 3 was as I said pretty fun.

Agreed...except that I actually liked #2.

You have to admit that Autobot with the blue eyes is pretty freakish

Absolutely. I loved it.

Aardvark
2006-06-02, 09:06 PM
Huh? How can something be "more enjoyable" to something "vastly superior"?

For example I think that 2001 A Space Oddity is vastly superior film to Predator but I know which one I'd rather watch. Though I’m not saying I’m enjoying GI Joe more than Infiltration in general, just that #3 was a fun but mind numbingly stupid where as #5 of Infiltration wasn’t that enjoyable.

Ford DeceptiFocus
2006-06-03, 01:56 AM
For example I think that 2001 A Space Oddity is vastly superior film to Predator but I know which one I'd rather watch. Though I’m not saying I’m enjoying GI Joe more than Infiltration in general, just that #3 was a fun but mind numbingly stupid where as #5 of Infiltration wasn’t that enjoyable.

Fair enough--*hands you a get out of jail free card*

Aardvark
2006-06-03, 09:43 AM
*Throws a load of hypothetical Internet monopoly houses in anger*

The Internet is fun...

Commander Shockwav
2006-06-04, 10:47 PM
Okay, I will freely admit that I'm enjoying this series.

You are not alone. :) I too am finding this series to be pleasant surprise.

Butttttttttttttttttttt...........It wasn't that bad, definitely some enjoyable moments in it and a vast improvement on 2.

Agreed, much better than the mess that was #2, and as good as #1.

In fact, I'm enjoying this series more than Beast Wars, and its head and shoulders above series like Micromasters, Armada, and Energon.

The best thing about it is that they have made the Transformers part of it cool. That Decepticon meeting was great. The art was very, very good.

That last panel with Omega about to take on three Decepticon gestalts is fantastic and has piqued my interest.

All in all, thus far this series, though uber corny, has been worth the read, a far departure from the past crossover nightmares with G.I.Joe.

I give this issue a "B".

inflatable dalek
2006-06-05, 12:55 PM
Actually the only thing that I thought was lame was spending multiple pages on the CHEESE BALL dialogue between the "I've been looking at you too Masked Man" characters. I'm not a huge history buff of GI Joe, so maybe that's why I didn't "get it". But on the full page of them making out--didn't it look like her lips were deformed?

The problem is, that whilst Snake Eyes and Sluttete have allways had a thing in other versions of the franchise, in the first two Joe/TF mini's they didn't say two words to each other. Now we have to accept they're histories greatest love affair simply because of how they've acted in other continuities rather than anything we've seen here (same goes for the Formies sudenly all having their G1 bodies).

A suprising improvemeant over 2 (whoever picks the pages in the preview seems determined to show the worst of the comic). It really is the comic version of somthing like They Live- Entertainingly stupidly bad. And it seems Shockwave was indeed killed in that explosion as well (either that or he's now Mostly Armless-Boom Boom!). The arts still awful (I think that's supposed to be Sixshoot as the leading Decepticon jet but he seems a bit fat...) and Bumblebee's virgin death didn't come to soon.
On the plus side, the interaction between the minor Decepticons was fun and once Bumblebee died Arcee seemed to stop talking.

Lets hope they keep it up.

Aardvark
2006-06-05, 01:00 PM
Bumblebee will come back as Goldbug as a fanwank nod to the past and he'll now be all slick and Arcee will now like and try to impress him, harbouring feelings for him etc etc. It’s so blood obvious. Still that guy with blue eyes is amazing.

Edit: Yeah the first scene with Sixshot is bloody awful; it only becomes apparent who it is in the Omega supreme scene

inflatable dalek
2006-06-05, 01:10 PM
Bumblebee will come back as Goldbug as a fanwank nod to the past and he'll now be all slick and Arcee will now like and try to impress him, harbouring feelings for him etc etc. It’s so blood obvious.

You're not Tim Silly (or whatever his name is...) are you? You forgot Hot Rod is heading out to the Gladiator Zone as well and will no doubt become wrapped up in a love triangle with Bugsy and Arcee.

Edit: Yeah the first scene with Sixshot is bloody awful; it only becomes apparent who it is in the Omega supreme scene

You're a better man that I if you worked it out from any of the art- I had to really think about the colour scheme to take a guess.

And Blueeyed guy does indeed rock like a Rocklord.

Aardvark
2006-06-05, 01:16 PM
Tentakill is the most confusing. I looked through my MTMTE tpbs not to which combiners looked the most like him (because none of them do) but the ones who look the least like him; I came to the conclusion that Tentakill looked the least least like him, if you know what I mean.

inflatable dalek
2006-06-05, 01:20 PM
Tentakill is the most confusing. I looked through my MTMTE tpbs not to which combiners looked the most like him (because none of them do) but the ones who look the least like him; I came to the conclusion that Tentakill looked the least least like him, if you know what I mean.

Where was this theoretical Tentakil? I do love that about five pages is given over to our heros fighting the TF version of drunk tramps. Now that's drama...

Aardvark
2006-06-05, 01:33 PM
The page with the Sandstorm mistake, the big cramped bunker of cons with Divebimb chatting to Hun-grrr, the chap to the left in front of everyone. Then on the following page, there's a close up of his face next to Hun-grrr.

inflatable dalek
2006-06-05, 01:35 PM
The page with the Sandstorm mistake,

Bloody hell- Hadn't even noticed that till now. A damning inditment of the quality of the rest of the writing that it doesn't stand out.

Aardvark
2006-06-05, 01:44 PM
For more amazing Aarvark insights;
Bought #3 today and read it an hour and a half ago.

First of all; http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i313/Scornflakes/Untitled-1.jpg

A cluttered mess. Some of the character models will leave you baffled and to save you time its Tentakil. Without out a doubt some of the worst and unbearably clichéd dialogue seen in Transformers for a long time. The Joes are particularly nauseating.

Butttttttttttttttttttt...........
It wasn't that bad, definitely some enjoyable moments in it and a vast improvement on 2. Not as "enjoyable" as #1 but the terrible dialogue and ludicrous story has gotten so ridiculously funny and I have to say it did leave a smile on my face.

In this way it was kind of more enjoyable than Infiltration #5 (Though no where near the quality of it...duh) Its one of those things you can really enjoy ripping the piss out of. Don't try to muster up any plausible reasons for virtually anything in this mess.

The art is still pants but once again an improvement on the last Tour De Force of utter ****. Not just blocks of colour

Now for the titbits:
The room full of the gestalt teams you'll notice Viewfind. Looks like Serpentor wants all the combiners. Its amazing he was able to rustle up all those combiners.

For Gods sake that Cannabilizer has Shockwave's arm.

The Stunticons look like Micromasters

The third last page: Is there a Scattorshot and Kup convention going on? And that Autobot in the second banel with the glowing blue eyes is clearly one of the most disturbed Autobots I've ever seen. They should give him his own comic.

Omega looks like a fat Asian man in a fish bowl.

Oh and I think we can expect Goldbug to be making an appearance soon. ;)

Oh and Bob makes another appearance.
Does Bob have a name yet?

inflatable dalek
2006-06-05, 01:54 PM
Who is Bob?

I did read that earlier (I'd never skimread-honest guv) but hadn't actually spoted the mistake in the Sandstorm panel. I thought you were just showing of the crap art...

Aardvark
2006-06-05, 01:56 PM
The problem with drawing the Seaey and Predy combiners exactly like their toys is that they look oddly squat.

I've given up ever identifying that Joe (tis unlikely to be any of the ones Denyer suggested) so unless they name her next issue I shall call her Bob from now on.

inflatable dalek
2006-06-05, 02:01 PM
Ohhh Bob! Yeah, good old Bob, I love 'er... See, I don't even pay atention to what I post.

Actually, can anyone name the six Joes on the computer screen as the full and complete "Reserve and backup" members of the team (as seen in the preview)? I few I recognice like...errrr White ninja guy and green ninja guy but a full list would be apriciated, you fine people.

Aardvark
2006-06-05, 02:43 PM
Xamot-Asian chap- Most likely
Beach Head Definitely
Volga also known as Daina–Women-Fairly certain
Joe member Storm Shadow-ninja

The guys with the visors could be breaker /shortfuse/flash/airwave/the other airwave chap, the visor guys all look the same to me

inflatable dalek
2006-06-05, 06:40 PM
Thanks- and in case anyone who isn't reading the comic can help stop Bob being anonymos here she is as the first person speaking on this page:

http://www.devilsdue.net/5pagers/jvtfIII03/pages/jvtfIII_03_01.html

I hope there's Joe only fans going "Who the hell's that blue guy talking to Optimus?"

Though I have to say Skids is what made this issue for me (and Hun Grrr, what's not to love about a name like that?)

I'm a little suprised to see James Raiz is co-penciling- I would have thought he and Ng would have had incompatible styles (one good, one insanely bad) but sadly he seems to fit in with Ng's style well.

I shall start reviewing imediately!

Aardvark
2006-06-05, 06:45 PM
In your review you should include Arcee's priceless expression on the page where the bots are tied up in the jail cell...she looks like a ventriloquism dummy

Edit: Oh and as my sig shows, that was the first thing that came into my mind when I saw the scen with the cons shouting Megatron

inflatable dalek
2006-06-05, 06:47 PM
Funny you should mention that- You should see where Perceptor has his hand.

Monorail! Hmmm, sorry don't know what came over me than. I might phone Crimewatch to do an appeal for anyone who knows Bob to come forward...

Aardvark
2006-06-05, 06:53 PM
You cannot imagine the hilarious image you put in my head involving Bob Budinsky. I think I may need to write a fan fic for that one.

inflatable dalek
2006-06-05, 07:02 PM
You cannot imagine the hilarious image you put in my head involving Bob Budinsky.

And you can not imagin the erotic image involving Bob Budinsky I have in my head.

One of these days I'll do the fanfic about Gold Meister that's just a total Goldfinger spoff with TF charecters ("You expect me to talk GoldMeister?" "No Master Megatron, I expect you to diiiiiie!"). The whole thing would just be an excuse to have Cosmos looking unbeliviably cute dressed as Odd Job.

One daming thing about the art is that I speant a while wondering why Astrotrain went from his white colour scheme to his purple colour scheme between pages (witha more toy acurate design for the latter). It took a while to work out the first one was supposed to be Octane...

Aardvark
2006-06-05, 07:14 PM
Where's Astrotrain?

Another thing actually they say that there's 20 canabilisers yet we see one and a couple of arms. Where did they all go. Did the gestalts scare them off?

inflatable dalek
2006-06-05, 07:18 PM
Where's Astrotrain?

Next to Sixshot geting blasted by Omega on the penultimate page (he's in about the same position relative to Sixshot as Octane is on the facing pagewhich added to my confusion).

And how did Bumblebee not see the two giant Robots and asociated friends right in front of him until he ran right into Predaking?

Aardvark
2006-06-05, 07:26 PM
Oh yeah, I was too busy looking at the Asian fishbowl. Oddly enough he has his white colour scheme on the back cover.

I suppose there isn’t really any point in speculating on the nonsensical malarkey. Best leave your mind at page 1. The Sandstorm scene is proof alone though judging by the art I wouldn’t be surprised if Spinger is meant to be Sandstorm. Who knows maybe a Rumble vs Frenzy style debate will evolve form it.

inflatable dalek
2006-06-05, 07:28 PM
Oh yeah, I was too busy looking at the Asian fishbowl. Oddly enough he has his white colour scheme on the back cover.

See- life isn't all about Asian fishbowls.

I suppose there isn’t really any point in speculating on the nonsensical malarkey.

Well, that makes my job as reviewer fairly pointless. Perhaps I should just sing Sweet Transvestite in the review as a tribute to Arcee?

Does anyone want to guess why Scourge is doing the Highland fling on the cover?

Aardvark
2006-06-05, 07:40 PM
Xamot-Asian chap- Most likely
Beach Head Definitely
Volga also known as Daina–Women-Fairly certain
Joe member Storm Shadow-ninja

The guys with the visors could be breaker /shortfuse/flash/airwave/the other airwave chap, the visor guys all look the same to me
On second thoughts that is probably lady Jay, Volga is in the October guard and also forget Xamot is Quick Kick. I was getting his old toy name confused.

inflatable dalek
2006-06-05, 07:44 PM
Excellent! See Mr. Ng, you're unclear art shall not defeat us!

Aardvark
2006-06-05, 07:48 PM
I've actually determined to find out who bob is...no luck thus far

inflatable dalek
2006-06-05, 07:50 PM
I'd allmost be tempted to look on a Joe formum but fans of that franchise scare me.

Aardvark
2006-06-05, 08:19 PM
Her name is Firewall

inflatable dalek
2006-06-05, 08:21 PM
Bloody hell- I was so close with Bob [Could we have the review for 2 ammended then please Mr. Denyer Sir?].

My life feels like it's lost all purpose now...

Aardvark
2006-06-05, 08:29 PM
http://www.yojoe.com/comics/ In the credits of Art Of War #2 it says there's a character called Firewall so I did a quick google.
Its a great site actually, really informative, could be useful for future reviews.

You heard that future reviews. You’re doomed to an eternity of this malarkey.

inflatable dalek
2006-06-05, 08:33 PM
That's the same site Denyer pointed me at but I found nothing... That makes me look bad. Still, that will be helpful for knowing my Snake Eyes from my Bright Eyes- Burning like fire...

Ford DeceptiFocus
2006-06-05, 09:11 PM
The page with the Sandstorm mistake, the big cramped bunker of cons with Divebimb chatting to Hun-grrr, the chap to the left in front of everyone. Then on the following page, there's a close up of his face next to Hun-grrr.

I'm glad someone mentioned that because I thought I was reading it incorrectly or something. Then I began to doubt my own knowledge of Transformers LOL.

Aardvark
2006-06-05, 09:15 PM
Careful...LOL enrages me.

inflatable dalek
2006-06-05, 09:20 PM
I've just been guessing at a few charecter ID's to be honest (I'm assuming the rest of the Terrorcons are in the crowd shots but can't make out any other indervidual Seacons oddly enough). Still, only four people including me seem to be reading this so if I kill you all no one else will ever know...

Aardvark
2006-06-05, 09:35 PM
Blot, Rippersnapper and Hun-err, though Blot is a bit of a stretch.
All the preds appear except Tantrum, which prompted me to notice another bloody name error. Divebomb calls Headstrong Tantrum

All the Stunticons make an appearance.
Nautilator, Tentakill are definitely there. There are 2 guys in that room that could be any of the Seacons/preds/terrorcons

And bizarrely Viewfind makes an appearance.

inflatable dalek
2006-06-05, 09:41 PM
Many thanks for that Aardy- I'm useless at charecter IDing at the best of times. I'll have to give you a "Special thanks" credit.

Blitzwing
2006-06-06, 04:53 AM
Do you think that Hawk is going to turn out to be a Micromaster/Pretender in the last issue?

Aardvark
2006-06-06, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Blitzwing
Do you think that Hawk is going to turn out to be a Micromaster/Pretender in the last issue?
He could turn out to be the next prime judging by the cover of #5
http://www.devilsdue.net/covers/jvtfIII/jvtfIII_05_00a.jpg

inflatable dalek
2006-06-06, 12:55 PM
Hawkimus Prime... What part of him will grow bigger I wonder?

After careful examination of the art (I need no pity) I'd say Raiz drew the pages with the Joe's in the box (complete with tounge sandwhich). If I were cruel I'd say it's because someone realised Ng's more cartoony humans wouldn't properly convey what's supposed to be a very tender emotional moment, but I'm sure it's just down to time or somesuch...

Aardvark
2006-06-06, 01:13 PM
Why is Megs head just floathing about on the #5 cover?

inflatable dalek
2006-06-06, 01:17 PM

Because the final panel will have him become Galvatron somehow in a "The End... Or IS IT?!" moment.

Aardvark
2006-06-06, 01:23 PM
Is Galvatron's head that much of a threat?

inflatable dalek
2006-06-06, 01:26 PM
Yes.

Having thought about the "20 Movement Signals" thing I've decided Perceptor was picking up on the Decepticons as well as the Canabalizers. Though why SerpentO.R isn't using his stealth at that point...

Aardvark
2006-06-06, 01:37 PM
Its not as if he needs to with the gestalts backing him up. Plus he's got Meg's ego and stupidity coursing through his veins.

Yeah what you said would make sense, 5 combiners x3 plus you see about 4 or 5 Cannibalisers

inflatable dalek
2006-06-06, 01:38 PM
Yeah what you said would make sense, 5 combiners x3 plus you see about 4 or 5 Cannibalisers

See- Never mock Tim Seely again. Poor guy...

Aardvark
2006-06-06, 01:48 PM
I think the ****e art is to accomadate his ****e script. It almost made me miss the Tantrum mistake, I'm sure there's more.

inflatable dalek
2006-06-06, 02:10 PM
And the review is done: http://tfarchive.com/community/showthread.php?s=&postid=497686#post497686

So if you do spot any other mistakes, keep 'em to yourselves.

Aardvark
2006-06-06, 02:16 PM
Xamot--->Quick Kick
Doesn't have the constructicons...yet:eyebrow: Judging by #5 he will

inflatable dalek
2006-06-06, 02:25 PM
The Constructicons were killed on Earth and their bodies captured by the US Government in the first mini- Hence my lack of suprise at Serpy not collecting them. So if they do show up, tis a huge goof to deal with next issue.

Aardvark
2006-06-06, 02:30 PM
But you imply he has
Serpent O.R. now has just about every combiner and triple changer in his ranks (except the Combaticons oddly enough) including Reflector.

Still great review, especially the bit with my name in it.

inflatable dalek
2006-06-06, 02:32 PM
I imply nothing, honest guv. And the best bit of the review is the bit with my name in it. :p

Ford DeceptiFocus
2006-06-06, 04:39 PM
Hawkimus Prime... What part of him will grow bigger I wonder?

Good God.:rolleyes:

Blitzwing
2006-06-06, 11:39 PM

I'm pretty sure that's actually Runamuck in the background. But from such a small pic of the cover it does kinda look like Megsy's head.

Aardvark
2006-06-07, 12:08 AM
That’s bizarre he genuinely looks like Megs' head from a distance

inflatable dalek
2006-06-07, 02:02 PM
Good God.:rolleyes:

Not God- Zod.

My monies still on Galvatron.

Commander Shockwav
2006-06-09, 03:34 AM
[B]Not God- Zod.

LOL :D

Prowl1984
2006-06-12, 11:22 PM
He could turn out to be the next prime judging by the cover of #5
http://www.devilsdue.net/covers/jvtfIII/jvtfIII_05_00a.jpg

how the hell can he lift up the matrix???

aaaanyhoo, i'm still enjoying this run, yeah it's silly but it's a great partner to infiltration. Infiltration provides the drama, suspense, awsome artwork, great storyline and great characterisation and art of war provides us with some good old fasioned robot slagging robot action. and yes, the blue eyed guy rocks, he looks so intense yet insane and maybe even slightly suprised at the same time

Aardvark
2006-06-12, 11:35 PM
Don't question Seely...for there are no answers.

The blue-eyed guy may find his way to my scanner and subsequently to my avatar.

As long as it continues to be as "Fun" as #1 and #3 I'll be satisfied. Though I do wish the art wasn't so God awful

Prowl1984
2006-06-13, 12:51 AM
Don't question Seely...for there are no answers.

The blue-eyed guy may find his way to my scanner and subsequently to my avatar.

As long as it continues to be as "Fun" as #1 and #3 I'll be satisfied. Though I do wish the art wasn't so God awful

yeah the "you're on your own" panel before they walk into the spacebridge thingy is terrible, the joe's have seeminlgy wonky faces and everything seems bright and shiny yet kinda pale at the same time. The bumblebee "kiss" bit made me cringe though. (and no i don't mean him donning leathers, black and white facepaint and singing some glam rock hits whilst sticking his tongue out alot...although i'd probably pay good money to see that)

Aardvark
2006-06-13, 10:03 AM
There's still time for Goldbug to join a glam rock group.

Prowl1984
2006-06-13, 11:06 AM
There's still time for Goldbug to join a glam rock group.

how would he stick his tongue out through that faceplate???

Aardvark
2006-06-13, 11:34 AM
Be thankful he can't...Seely's Arcee Fetish would be taken to new and somewhat more disturbing heights if he could. Well they don't call 'em Throttlebots for nothing and wasn't Arcee a Headmaster...

Prowl1984
2006-06-13, 12:41 PM
Be thankful he can't...Seely's Arcee Fetish would be taken to new and somewhat more disturbing heights if he could. Well they don't call 'em Throttlebots for nothing and wasn't Arcee a Headmaster...

My god you're right! damn those writers for corrupting our minds!!although if you're using headmasters in that context it'd make all the others homosexual....well that or arcee would be a very lucky lady...oh god we're going into fanboy wank territory...i bet thats what those damn writers wanted...right, im out of here before this gets too out of hand

Aardvark
2006-06-13, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Prowl1984
My god you're right! damn those writers for corrupting our minds!!although if you're using headmasters in that context it'd make all the others homosexual....well that or arcee would be a very lucky lady...oh god we're going into fanboy wank territory...i bet thats what those damn writers wanted...right, im out of here before this gets too out of hand
What we need is a “Homosexual Transformers” thread… two just isn’t enough.

Prowl1984
2006-06-13, 02:37 PM
What we need is a “Homosexual Transformers” thread… two just isn’t enough.

yeah, we need to get every aspect covered here to prepare for those noobs who'll need shooting down

inflatable dalek
2006-06-13, 04:10 PM
Bumblebee is clearly leting Seely get the shag he never had at high school...

Aardvark
2006-06-13, 04:28 PM
What his self-esteem was so low in high school that he couldn't pretend to shag a fictional pink robot

Aardvark
2006-06-15, 12:00 AM
Mommy its here, its here mommy

Ahem...The much anticipated 5 page preview of this classic piece of literature is up; http://www.devilsdue.net/5pagers/jvtfIII04/index.html
Once again it would appear that they've given us a sneak peak at the bland, dross of this otherwise perfect publication. if not it looks as though we'll be getting a "Prime is Perfect" issue

All those doubting Seeley's mech-fetish should take a long, hard look at Prime's little Turkish delight.

Sixshot's dialogue is simply dreadful; I'd love to his definition for "Coward".

Best scene out of the selection is that green "Hi and die" character on fire saying "Great Optimus Prime"

The artwork looks like its gone down again. I have a feeling that every second issue in this series will be complete dross, so the finale should be a humdinger.

Still I liked the bit where Menasor crushes the little green man, seeing Prime pummel Astrotrain wasn't too shabby either. And its good to know that reflector wasn't a hallucination i.e. a character being at all recognisable.

inflatable dalek
2006-06-15, 03:40 PM
Prime's speech is actually fairly cool, but SixShot shows why he isn't in comics very much...

Aardvark
2006-06-15, 03:47 PM
His MTMTE has been his only credible comic appearance. Even though I prefer Shockwave its nice to hear someone rating Megatron and even to go as far to say that he was better than Shock “Always One Step Ahead Of The Game”wave

inflatable dalek
2006-06-15, 03:53 PM
See, I think Megs has gotten the best writing he's had in donkeys years out of this, and he's barely in the comic...

inflatable dalek
2006-06-30, 04:39 PM
Horah! Issue number four is in my greasy palm and I once more must say it Rawked. SerpentO.R is a great villain- Not very original (all his problems would just be solved if Captain Kirk walked in and said "Let me teach you this Earth thing called love...") but the way he's set about conqouring Cybertron, not out of any particular desire to do so but simply because he doesn't know how not to is fascinating, and makes him more sympathetic (the poor guys one and only experience of joy was killing Bumblebee... Which reminds me, no Goldbug! Horah again!).

I'll leave a decision on how stupid Prime is until he reveals his full plan next issue (along with how he escaped from that chair...)- But the real daft moment for me here was Snake Eyes incredible ability to hipnotise Transformers by just staring in their general direction for a bit. Scarlett makes it sound as if he does it all the time on humans (and oddly Earth computers), but is this true of any other continuity? Surely that makes him insanely powerful if he can make anyone shoot anyone else in the back? Then you've got the four of them luging a very heavy Decepticon gun about a base on a scale where it must take them an hour to cross a room. And since when does the base have human sized cells anyway? What happened to the boxes they were in last issue? And why, is Ratchet still in his "Dark future" alt mode from the last mini when everyone else and their astro dog is in their "G1" design however inapropiately (Bar Jet"Is this Stormbringer? No? Sorry old chap I'm in the wrong comic, toodles"fire)?

And why despite three pencilers working on this is the art still bwaaaaaah.

Odd cliffhanger as well, the badies being placed in jepody...

Aardvark
2006-07-01, 06:28 PM
Right I got #4 a few days ago and I could have sworn I posted my response...So rather than coming up with new and wacky insights I'll just post what I planned on posting before- So excuse me if there's a few Dalekisms.

I won't bother reiterating my views on the first 5 pages (That were shown in the preview) however I will say this; Is that our favourite caffeine addicted robot running from Piranhacon.

Strange issue but nevertheless an interesting one. It seemed as though it was trying to make an attempt at being intelligent albeit marred by its own stupidity. Having said that this issue was probably the best written of the entire series. It wasn't as fun nor was it as enjoyable as #1 and #3 but unlike #2 it was backed up by some strong scripting and surprisingly some intriguing character insights/developments. Now time for pointing out the good and pointing out the bad.... I’ll start with the bad.

BADDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD:

The artwork as per usual was poor; Whereas I've noticed an improvement in the human designs throughout the coarse of the series the Transformers continue to disappoint. The Stunticons still look like Micromasters. The Preds are still very blocky and Rampage is somewhat reminiscent of a Legoman.

Does anyone else find the big group of Autobots at the Gladiator zone a tad odd looking? I can't quite put my finger on it. Maybe it’s the eclectic choice of characters… Anyway Jetfire is hilariously squished in. What in the hell is going on with Arcee's face on the penultimate page. . And finally in the artwork department, on that very page {And I wasn't sure whether this should go in the bad or good section as its just so damn funny looking} why does Buzzsaw look like he's been hit with a cartoonish novelty hammer?

Now I said there was some good scripting but there was also a fair bit of dross. For starters, Breakdown saying "Crappy" is unbelievably naff however quite apt.

The "ninja trickery" copout is possibly the lowest point of the entire series (Sans anything in #2)

The "Meat computers" nonsense.

It’s a tad annoying that by the 4th issue of the series no one's referred to Firewall by name.

Oh and needless to say the Joes using the bigass Deceptigun was unashamedly nauseating.

Why would the cons have tiny prison cells in their base? Do they hate Micromasters that much?

THE GOOD

Reflector and co is always welcome and Prime pointing his gun at Viewfind was a nice touch.

It’s a fresh approach to Hotrod, having him play more of a serious, leadership role.

WARPATH!!!

Rampage's speech about the "Soft" humans is genuinely creepy.

Serpy is really starting to shine. He received some great characterisation and also some great lines in this issue. I particularly like the line about sympathising with their frustration because of the various men (And what they’ve been through) he's made up of. Loved when he lost it, even if that scene was a gigantic cliché and it was complemented by Serpy apologising (Which was also quite believable) and his subsequent lines (Again a tad clichéd) we’re quite fitting and not at all camp. Serps genuinely comes across as a believable villain with his goals and reasons being clear and furthermore engaging.

Prime despite some dodgy moments was handled well and seems to be portrayed in a more militaristic manner and a tad bit grittier than usual.

Speculation

Will Goldbug undermine Bumblebutt’s death? Will Rodimus appear given that Hotster the Rodster appears to be somewhat competent? Is Cobra Commander's plan going to detract/muddy the whole plot and get in the way of a genuinely enjoyable and interesting villain?

inflatable dalek
2006-07-01, 08:10 PM
- So excuse me if there's a few Dalekisms.

It's allright- I get £2.50 in royalties every time you use a Dalekism.

Will Goldbug undermine Bumblebutt’s death?

I think he'd have shown up by now- The most we'll get is Ratchet collecting up his remains and saying somthing like "Lets see what we can do with these".

Oh, and it was nice to see the cliffhanger to the last mini hasn't been totally forgotten- Though where are Cobra-La whilst all this is going on?

Aardvark
2006-07-01, 08:30 PM
My guess is that Goldbug will make an appearance in the next arc, presuming there is one.

inflatable dalek
2006-07-01, 08:33 PM
I'm actually hoping there is now.

I can't believe I just typed that (actually, I wouldn't be suprised if the Cobra Comander sub plot is a set up for the next one, with the final issue ending with him having a army of SerpentO.R's or somesuch. Otherwise it'll be a very crowded final part if they try to do justice to all the plots).

One oddity: The last issues cliffhanger was entirely centered around Omega Supreme- Will he stand or fall? Yet here that battle happens of camera and we don't even see him go down. If you'll pardon the expression.

Aardvark
2006-07-01, 08:40 PM
Well, we see him falling in the very first page, so I presume they were going for the "He didn't stand a chance" jive.

Amazingly, I'm also hoping for more*. It reads like a fun cartoon and certainly provides plenty to talk about/laugh at.

[SIZE=1]Insomnia-tastic “Just for fun” edit:*=:( {Fixed the typos in the post while I was he here....I think}

inflatable dalek
2006-07-01, 08:43 PM
Well we see him falling in the very first page so I presume they we're going for the "He didn't stand a chance" jive.

He did? Bloody hell, I like, need to read this. But then it seems the artists didn't so why should I bother...

Who was whith Breakdown outside the cell? The two guns on his back made me think Snap Trap but they seemed a tad short...

Aardvark
2006-07-01, 08:53 PM
It's Nautilator. Notice how none of the "lesser" characters call each other by name. That's either because Seeley hasn't got a clue who the hell they are or maybe because anytime they do its the wrong bloody name.

inflatable dalek
2006-07-01, 08:58 PM
The first issue did make a very welcome effort to refer to everyone by name at least once, but that seems to have fallen by the wayside as the cast has gotten larger. Shame, though making it look naturalsitic all the time would be a bugger as the old comic so often proved:

"Hey Nautilator, member of the seacons, how long have we had these here human sized cells?"

"Well Stunticon Breakdown, I don't rightly know. Pity we didn't recall them last issue so we wouldn't have had to drill holes in amo boxes. Hey... The way that guy is sorta half looking at me whenever I bother to go look in makes me feel odd..."

Aardvark
2006-07-01, 09:11 PM
Reminds me of the time Ratbat referred to Snaptrap as “Seacon leader Snaptrap” in Underbase Part Who Gives A Rat’s Ass(Though this kind of crap happened in every issue in )

However due to the artwork's shortcomings they could use some Underbase explaining every action bubbles.

“Cartoonishly squished Buzzsaw pecks Omega Supreme" and whatnot. Might give us a clue what half o its about.

inflatable dalek
2006-07-01, 09:14 PM
Perhaps they could put a Infiltration style Who's who at the start...

The styles of the three artists at least meshed fairly well, unfortunely the two I liked (though between this and DH3 I've gone of Raize) copied the style of the naff one.

Clogs
2006-07-03, 12:59 PM
This is a girl thing post. If you are a male of nervous disposition, please look away now.

Poor SerpentOR. I really felt for him when he monologued at Prime. He's realised that he has neither soul nor Spark, making him less than everyone else around him; he is, ironically, just a machine.

Boys, you can look back again.

inflatable dalek
2006-07-04, 03:42 PM
*sob*

Could some kind soul give me a list of all the Jo's (Bar Mainframe and our wonderful Failsafe) on the last page? Ta very much, I love you all.

Aardvark
2006-07-04, 05:00 PM
Hmm should I feel sorry for the homidcidal "son" of Megatron; on the one hand he's the homidcidal "son" of Megatron but on the other hand he killed Bumblebee...

*sob*

Could some kind soul give me a list of all the Jo's (Bar Mainframe and our wonderful Failsafe) on the last page? Ta very much, I love you all.
Why do I have the horrible feeling I'm going to get another "Special Thanks"...

inflatable dalek
2006-07-04, 05:04 PM
Why do I have the horrible feeling I'm going to get another "Special Thanks"...

Well, you have to like, put the names on here first. I don't just give out thanks sight unseen.

It was a bugger to work out which Predacon was which after they buggered up and swapped Divebombs and Headstrong's colour scheme's...

Denyer
2006-07-04, 07:04 PM
Well, you have to like, put the names on here first. I don't just give out thanks sight unseen.At what point does work-for-hire and trading favours for recompense become prostitution?

Originally posted by Clogs
making him less than everyone else around him; he is, ironically, just a machine. Whilst admittedly I've never been in the situation, I fail to see why an AI would care that it's an AI, or that others care if it's an AI... it's become a stock cliché in sci-fi...

Clogs
2006-07-04, 09:14 PM
Told you it was a girl thing - made you look!

Yes, it's a cliche, but, there you go. It made a point. And he did for Bumblebee.

inflatable dalek
2006-07-06, 09:04 AM
At what point does work-for-hire and trading favours for recompense become prostitution?

Usually when they say "Hiay Handsome, I really like you, wanna buy me a drink?"

it's become a stock cliché in sci-fi... [/B]

In a comic full of them it feels quite at home. Plus, an AI built in the image of a man with memories of dozens of men is most likely going to have identity issues anway...

Denyer
2006-07-06, 09:33 AM
Having just seen a copy... #4 wasn't bad at all, apart from that splash-page of Prime, in which he seems to have spontaneously started turning into the Armada version...

inflatable dalek
2006-07-06, 09:37 AM
Having just seen a copy... #4 wasn't bad at all, apart from that splash-page of Prime, in which he seems to have spontaneously started turning into the Armada version...

That was yourt only problem with the Art?!?!

Here be the cast list I've asembled so far (though it's not been proof read yet. Ohhh, I used a poncy term to say "Haven't looked through it twice yet", go me) just in case some of the random generics are ment to be Trypticon and I haven't worked it out...

Onega Supreme [Deactivated], Optimus Prime, Sixshot [Deactivated-Smashed into Piranacon's face] Piranacon [Deactivated by Sixshot smashing into his face], Astrotrain, Menasor, Reflector, Jetfire War Within/Stormbringer design], SerpentO.R, Zartan, The Baroness, Cobra Comander, Dr. Knox, Hawk, Roadblock, Breakdown ["Ninja'd" by Snake Eyes], Nautilator [Deactivated- Shot by a "ninja'd" Breakdown], Snake Eyes, Scarlett, Hot Rod, Sideswipe, Ultra Magnus, Tracks, Kup, Ratchet [In his "Dark future" design from volume 2], Prowl, Clifjumper, Warpath, Ironhide, Tantrum, Rampage [Deactivated by Grimlock], Hun Grr, Motormaster, Grimlock, Perceptor, Arcee, Buzzsaw, Headstrong, Divebomb, Drag Strip, Rippersnapper, Firewall, Mainframe,

Denyer
2006-07-06, 09:54 AM
I'm fairly easy as long as the art tells the story and doesn't make me laugh out loud... Prime was in the same vein as that Predaking cover we saw way back when.

Aardvark
2006-07-06, 09:54 AM
Every Joe displayed on the computer screen in the last issue (Barring Quick Kick) makes an appearance as does Stalker and Duke (Amazingly 2 out of the 3 Joe toys I had). Don’t ask me about any of the characters; my knowledge of GI Joe is about as big as my stint as Digger McSquint on Bucky O' Hare. And I’m thankful for that…
At what point does work-for-hire and trading favours for recompense become prostitution?

I can’t say I’m not a little turned on by the process
I'm fairly easy as long as the art tells the story and doesn't make me laugh out loud... Prime was in the same vein as that Predaking cover we saw way back when.
I do like Buzzsaw's hilarious "design".

inflatable dalek
2006-07-06, 09:56 AM
I'm fairly easy as long as the art tells the story and doesn't make me laugh out loud...

But what when the story makes you laugh out loud? Snake Eyes Ninja powers have scared me for life.

And thank you Ardy, here's two dollars.

Clogs
2006-07-06, 05:05 PM
Now, I'm from the heart of darkness called the Midlands, and trying/failing to get hold of GI Joe stuff, but I agree that seeing Snake Eyes ninj Cybertronians is freaky! I mean, Bludgeon ninjing - like that time the 'Cons got out of jail by doing nothing - is sort of oddly acceptable, but not this. Sheesh, what a plot device.

Aardvark
2006-07-06, 05:10 PM
Now, I'm from the heart of darkness called the Midlands, and trying/failing to get hold of GI Joe stuff, but I agree that seeing Snake Eyes ninj Cybertronians is freaky! I mean, Bludgeon ninjing - like that time the 'Cons got out of jail by doing nothing - is sort of oddly acceptable, but not this. Sheesh, what a plot device.
He did it by keeping quiet:o

Bludgeon's flying sword could have been "ninja trickery" or it could have just been a radio-controlled, flying sword yadadada etc etc...

Denyer
2006-07-06, 05:12 PM
Now, I'm from the heart of darkness called the Midlands Likewise, but store-wise it's a toss-up between Wolverhampton (to be fair, they'd improved a lot last time I was in there, but no real cause to visit Wolves...) or trekking out to Brum.

Ergo http://oneshallstand.com/ does for TF stuff... Steve gets in the crossovers, and can probably get the regular Joes comics if you ask...

Clogs
2006-07-06, 09:08 PM
Just ordered GI Joe vs Transformers books (the WW2 one and the other one in two parts) from Amazon. Found one dvd, but needs work... Thanks for the link, Denyer.

Only knowledge so far is a modern version of Sgt Fury and his Howling Commandos.

None of 'em ninjed.

Denyer
2006-07-07, 01:32 AM
the WW2 one It's surprisingly readable, one of the better things DW did IMO... art has some Mignola overtones (along with irritating photoshopped logos, unfortunately) and the plot both focuses on the Joes a decent amount and does something vaguely original with the matrix. (Which was cue for screams of indignation along the lines of "it doesn't work like that!" from fanboys at the time.)

Um... Nick Fury? Doesn't have anything to do with G.I. Joe as far as I'm aware, other than G.I. Joe also being a Marvel comic. The Joe and TF comics occasionally crossed with each other, but rarely into mainstream Marvel (what's now the 616 universe) -- due to a general dislike of toy books amongst writers at the time.

inflatable dalek
2006-07-07, 11:52 AM
and the plot both focuses on the Joes a decent amount and does something vaguely original with the matrix. (Which was cue for screams of indignation along the lines of "it doesn't work like that!" from fanboys at the time.)

Well, considering the "Original" thing done with the Matrix was to make it so that throwing it on the floor with a bit of force made all the Transformers explode it's no wonder people complained a bit.

We should form a secret Midlands society of TF fans... Oh, and if you're need Kidderminster the comic shop here may look like a extremely dodgy place (Boxes piled up, the owner never without a ***...) but he gets all the comics in preatty much on time at a cheap price.

Cliffjumper
2006-07-07, 12:07 PM
Well, considering the "Original" thing done with the Matrix was to make it so that throwing it on the floor with a bit of force made all the Transformers explode it's no wonder people complained a bit.

Yeh, while I wouldn't argue that the Matrix started out as anything other than a plot device, when it's used as a catch-all plot finishing device because the righter (sic.) can't think of anything else, it's hard to praise the originality of it all. Sentient beings having a simple "off" switch is original... The Matrix should probably be dumped full-stop as any sort of device, it's just an excuse for lazy writing now, as showcased in, well, Dreamwave's entire output.

inflatable dalek
2006-07-07, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Cliffjumper
Sentient beings having a simple "off" switch is original...

Well, it was more original when they did it in Five face of Darkness. Or with Skids in the comic (See! Skids was a trend setter!).

At least the Matrix hasn't shown up in IDW's output yet...

Aardvark
2006-07-07, 12:34 PM

At least the Matrix hasn't shown up in IDW's output yet...
Nor do I think it will however I imagine they'll come up with something virtually the same, call it something else and make it look completely different.

inflatable dalek
2006-07-07, 12:37 PM
Nor do I think it will however I imagine they'll come up with something virtually the same, call it something else and make it look completely different.

You mean like the super Energon Screamers going to use to gte Matrixey/Underbasey style powers again?

Good old Furman, no repitition hesitation or deviation...

Aardvark
2006-07-07, 12:42 PM
You mean like the super Energon Screamers going to use to gte Matrixey/Underbasey style powers again?

Good old Furman, no repitition hesitation or deviation...
Again I find that difficult to swallow; really Screamers, enough is enough. Hopefully when he overloads on power he'll stay dead.

…Kill Megatron too.

…And put Catgut in charge

inflatable dalek
2006-07-07, 12:46 PM
…And put Catgut in charge

Nah, Firewall should crossover and take charge.

Going back to the comic- Does anyone find it odd that both the digital logs we've seen Prime make has been 85% him bitching about being Autobot leader in a very Rodimus way? It's also a bit odd that in this issue he deciedes to make what's basicaly a "I hate my job, it suxxxs" blog entry in the middle of a pitched battle...

Denyer
2006-07-07, 03:47 PM
Well, considering the "Original" thing done with the Matrix was to make it so that throwing it on the floor with a bit of force made all the Transformers explode it's no wonder people complained a bit. It makes far more sense than most uses of the thing -- if sparks are all linked via an extradimensional source, the feedback from damaging the matrix holder would reasonably be enough to deactivate nearby TFs.

We should form a secret Midlands society of TF fans... Oh, and if you're need Kidderminster the comic shop here may look like a extremely dodgy place (Boxes piled up, the owner never without a ***...) but he gets all the comics in preatty much on time at a cheap price. There's quite a reasonable little collectibles shop in Brierley Hill highstreet, although he's more oriented towards trades because he doesn't have the space to do a comics range -- apparently he can order most things, though. If I bought any volume of comics as singles I'd bother with a store, but TFs / Fell are basically it.

Having said that, if Steve leaves the postage of the Spotlight issues at higher than other issues, I'll probably look elsewhere -- I assume at the moment it's just because he's expecting them to be thicker (they aren't; they're regular length.)

Aardvark
2006-07-07, 05:10 PM
Nah, Firewall should crossover and take charge.

Going back to the comic- Does anyone find it odd that both the digital logs we've seen Prime make has been 85% him bitching about being Autobot leader in a very Rodimus way? It's also a bit odd that in this issue he deciedes to make what's basicaly a "I hate my job, it suxxxs" blog entry in the middle of a pitched battle...
As I mentioned way back, I could see Rodders himself making an appearance. Would it be that bad though; for once Hotrod seems to know what he's doing. He's not the brash young go-getter and whatnot. At least it wouldn't be the usual "I have the Matrix now I'm strong and somewhat wise...and I don't like it" At least in “Art of War” it would be the power of the matrix augmenting an already gifted and intelligent solider

inflatable dalek
2006-07-07, 05:26 PM
It makes far more sense than most uses of the thing

Making more sense than War and Peace is not an achievement to boast of.

There's quite a reasonable little collectibles shop in Brierley Hill highstreet, although he's more oriented towards trades because he doesn't have the space to do a comics range -- apparently he can order most things, though.

I think that's actually owned by the son of the guy who runs the Kiddy one- Ours mostly does toys and gets specific comics that people want down from the other shop, and vice versa.

for once Hotrod seems to know what he's doing. He's not the brash young go-getter and whatnot.

He also seems to outrank Ultra magnus (well, fair enough) and Prowl (NOOOOO!!!!).

Aardvark
2006-07-07, 06:59 PM
And Warpath:eek:

inflatable dalek
2006-07-07, 07:11 PM
And Warpath:eek:

That's another thing I didn't get- You're going up against the entire Decepticon army, and you take Clifjumper and Warpath on the team... Even if it's meant to be more a stealthy extraction mission they'd still not be much use:

Prowl: Shhhh, now, as we aproach the Predacon base, we'll very quietly sneak in on the back of these vans installing the new human sized cells, very, very quietly...

Warpath: ZOW! OKAY! BANG! PROWL! KEBAMOY!

Prowl: Shhhhhhh... Stealth is very important...

Cliffjumper: I see Megatron! Oh, Oh, let me shoot him with my comedy oversized weapon!

Prowl: That's Ultra Magnus! And you still managed to miss him and hit that bloke who looks a bit like Jetfire instead... Oh hell, here comes Breakdown...

Breakdown:[comedy Cockney accent] I brought you some orange Sherbert...

Prowl: Phew, he's ben Ninja'd! Now, before we loose the element of suprise...

Warpath: BANG! HONKEY TONK! I LOVE! ZEBOOM! ORANGE SHERBERT!

Cliffjumper: I see dead people! Shoot them all! You won't take me alive!

Prowl: Oh for Primus' sake, you just killed Brawn. And he wasn't even on the team.

Ultra Magnus: Well at least we now have a definative answer to that question.

Warpath: HONK! HONK!

I susepct Hot Rod has a cunning plan to make sure Prime doesn't get rescued...

Aardvark
2006-07-07, 07:31 PM
And don't they have like all the Autobot army at their disposal. And just how many cons are hiding out in the "Gladiator Zones"

I'm sigging some of that script btw

inflatable dalek
2006-07-07, 07:36 PM
I'm sigging some of that script btw

What may be my best ever post done after being awake for 24 hours, says it all really. Still, if anyone from IDW is reading and wants someone to like, put an ending on Furman's next mini...

EDIT: I think I must be going mad, I've included a huge rant about the importance of Checkov's Law to good story telling in the goofs bit of my review for this issue...

Here's the passage in full, too much perhaps?

Lets get the big bug bear out of the way: I'm not familiare enough with GI :Joe to comment on how atypical Snake Eyes Ninja powers are in this issue- But I do know that as far as this continuity goes there's ben absolutely no set up or indication the guy with a big sword can hipnotise anybody, a breaking of Checkov's Law that shows what an important part of storytelling it is (for those who don't know, Checkov's law roughly states: "If your charecter fires a gun in the third act it must be seen hanging on the wall in the first act"- In other words if our hero's use any device or ability to save the day you need to establish they have that device/ability beforehand so it doesn't seem contrived. Aliens has a great example, five minuets near the start is given over to shown that Ripley can not only use the Power Loaders but can use them well, seting up her kicking of the Alien Queens arse at the end of the movie. What we have here is the equiverlent of those rare occasions Bond saves his own life with a Gadget we haven't seen earlier in the Q scene of the film...). Even mentioning Snakey can hypnotise people would have helped. And the idea it would work on Transformers is pushing suspension of disbelife to its limits. How can you make someone look you in the eye when their eye is bigger than your whole head.

Aardvark
2006-07-08, 01:19 PM
No I'd leave most of that in as long as it doesn't make the review overly long; the length compounds the feeling of ranting and in this situation, a rant is certainly needed.

If it needs trimming then I'd recommend leaving the Bond bit out.

inflatable dalek
2006-07-08, 01:22 PM
Ture, but discusing 19th century Russian playwrites in a review of this comic seems wrong somehow. Mainly because this seems to have not so much been written as assembled from whatever was in Tim Seeley's toilet basin.

Aardvark
2006-07-08, 01:24 PM
I compared "Macbeth" to "The Art Of War" so I think you're safe

inflatable dalek
2006-07-08, 01:28 PM
I compared "Macbeth" to "The Art Of War" so I think you're safe

I think that'sa fair comparrison though- This comic drove me to kill.

LKW
2006-07-09, 02:54 AM
Well, this thread got me interested enough to pick up issues #3 and 4. While there are some silly aspects - including the idea that it's THAT easy to get Prime to surrender - I still found this to be a decent read. Certainly not the waste of money that Devil's Due's first crossover turned out to be. (Didn't bother with the second at all.) An interesting take on Serpentor; nice to see some lesser-known Decepticons getting some face time... Oh, and they establish that there are other "female" Transformers on the first page of #4... as Optimus Prime rescues one from being crushed by Omega Supreme.

W

T

F?

Thinking about it now, post initial reaction, Prime does rescue a helpless "guy" robot (presumably) a few pages later; and Seely does have Arcee and Scarlett running right along, plus nameless ol' Firewall techie-ing around... Still, this is an off-puttingly sexist piece of junk (not helped by a way too-giant Omega Supreme; didn't like it at Dreamwave, either) to start off the issue.

Anyway, now that it's quite possibly too late to be of any use, I can answer some of the G.I. Joe questions, now that I've seen the issue.

First off, Snake Eyes. Judging by his hands, he's using the Arashikage mind-set on Breakdown. (Arashikage being the name of Storm Shadow's family, and ninja clan, which took Snake Eyes in after the Vietnam War.) In the past, I know that: Storm Shadow used it to help keep a wounded Snake Eyes' mind together as they were flown away from a failed mission in Vietnam; Storm Shadow used it to turn Snake Eyes into a single-minded killing machine, to help in surviving a supposed suicide mission which he was going on to forget about Scarlett's hopeless coma (she got better); and Snake Eyes used it to freak out "Night Creeper Leader" by... showing him that he knew the Arashikage mind-set. (Come to think of it, that last one happened in the crossover issues which led into Generation 2.) As far as I know - and I'm pretty familiar with the Marvel history, which Devil's Due continues with its regular series (though I have only read a handful of Devil's Due issues - maybe they snuck something in) - this is the first time that it's been used to hypnotize your enemies into attacking for you.

As for the Joes on the last page: Top row: well... the uniform looks like Clutch or Breaker, but the head and hat like Gung Ho (or possibly Stalker) - Gung Ho?; Barbeque; two unidentifiable sketchy guys. Middle row: Beach Head; probably supposed to be Lady Jaye; Sci-Fi; and, looking the last one up on the back of an old box, it looks like a Flak-Viper. That's probably not it... Despite the boots and gloves being too long, it's probably supposed to be Flash. Front row: Storm Shadow, Duke.

For what it's worth, the Joe equipment includes Armadillo mini-tanks, RAM motorcycles, PAC Rat remote-controled weapons, and the gold and black ATVs, which once were called Tiger Rats (re-painted Cobra Ferrets), but which I think I just saw in an ad were re-issued under the name of Rattlers, of all confusing and, well, just wrong, things.

Commander Shockwav
2006-07-09, 05:16 PM
Got issue #4.

Wasn't too impressed. Primarily because the Omega Supreme vs three gestalt battle happened "offscreen". But also because things seemed a bit scattered in this issue, like it didn't fit in with the rest of the story somehow.

Gave me that same feeling that #2? gave me with Marvels Transformers Generation #2.

This series has been a bit of a roller coaster ride for me.

Really liked #1, thought #2 was weak, #3 I really enjoyed, and #4 seemed a bit scattered here and there.

inflatable dalek
2006-07-11, 11:08 AM
And here's my fantastic issue four review:
http://tfarchive.com/community/showthread.php?s=&postid=503836#post503836

inflatable dalek
2006-07-29, 04:06 PM
And for those of you that don't usually go in the creative forum bit, here's my amazing, award winning spoof script for the first issue:

http://tfarchive.com/community/showthread.php?s=&postid=506676#post506676

Clogs
2006-07-31, 07:49 PM
Dalek - read it, thanks! LOL!

ps. found out that they're giving away inflatable daleks with next issue of Dr Who magazine on 10th August. Relatives?

inflatable dalek
2006-08-01, 05:15 PM
ps. found out that they're giving away inflatable daleks with next issue of Dr Who magazine on 10th August. Relatives?

Doctor Who Adventures- The kiddy mag. DWm is for grown ups ;)

My uncle Bert is being given away. We don't like him much...

Clogs
2006-08-02, 08:33 PM
My uncle Bert is being given away. We don't like him much...

I will be sure to tell the boys that their new pal is named Uncle Bert. That should screw them up, which is, of course, a parent's duty.

Denyer
2006-08-15, 02:52 PM
Has #5 actually been released?

Aardvark
2006-08-15, 04:54 PM
Has #5 actually been released?

http://www.devilsdue.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20331
Heyya Guys,

The slight delay is more than likely due to the rabid convention season - and all the fun we're having meeting all of you!!! This generaly happens in some form around this time every year, as the cons are all around this time. (Plus we prolly didn't see this post due to being out for Wizard World this weekend - check the EVENTS Page people!! )

Here's the scoop - but as always, I can't be held to this - muwahahahahaah!

In stores on the 16th
Family Guy #2
GIJoe AE #14
GIJoe Declassified #2
Forgotten Realms Sojourn TPB

In stores on the 23rd
GIJoe AE TPB vol II
Forgotten Realms: Crystal Shard #1
Eberron #1

In stores on the 30th
Arkadian
GIJoe vs Transformers #5

xo ~S

inflatable dalek
2006-08-15, 05:18 PM
The slight delay is more than likely due to the rabid convention season - and all the fun we're having meeting all of you!!!

I wish I could get away with doing nothing at work by telling my boss I was having to much fun talking to customers...

LKW
2006-08-15, 10:09 PM
"Slight delay"?:eyebrow: O-kay. Well, thanks for the update!

Denyer
2006-08-24, 07:34 AM
http://www.devilsdue.net/5pagers/jvtfIII05/pages/jvtfIII_05_00a.html

Preview, and apparently it's still due on the 30th.

They still seem to be showing the cheesiest parts for the preview, unless the entire issue turns out that way...

inflatable dalek
2006-08-24, 04:19 PM
"Get Prime!" "RAAA!" is probably the best dialoug exchange ever. And it seems SerpentO.R. has the same weakness as a Borg, pull out one of the tubes and they're buggered.

Did Hot Rod have that red chin last issue? And love the gratuitous tits on the last page.

I'll start on my spoofery of issue 2 (and finish my HOS review) as soon as I've knocked out my entry for that Doctor Who DVD comentary compo...

Ford DeceptiFocus
2006-08-31, 03:16 AM
BEST TRANSFORMERS LINE OF ALL TIME:

"And now, every bit of power and knowledge gathered up by these glorified Go-Bots rests in the hands of Cobra."

hahahahahahha

I almost wet my pants at the mention of Go-Bots!

That made the series for me!

inflatable dalek
2006-08-31, 03:13 PM
It'll take a mention of Zippy from Rainbow to do the same for me.

BWW 2000
2006-08-31, 05:57 PM
It'll take a mention of Zippy from Rainbow to do the same for me.
I seem to recall some of your non-inflatable brethren doing a passable impression of said puppet during the 70s at times.... ;)

Clogs
2006-09-01, 05:22 PM
Issue 5 ain't in the shops as promised.

Any idea when it will be out?

Ford DeceptiFocus
2006-09-02, 08:49 AM
It's out in Los Angeles.

inflatable dalek
2006-09-02, 12:46 PM
I have it! Haven't read it yet though. My comicbook guy tried to give me two copies instead of Hearts of Steel 3. I think it may have been a kindness on his part...

Clogs
2006-09-02, 09:05 PM
Husband checked store for me today. Nuffink. Haven't got HoS #3 either. Nor the one shots.
:mad:

Commander Shockwav
2006-09-03, 05:18 AM
Read the final issue.

Sucked.

Why I keep buying these crossovers is beyond me.

This series was a step in the right direction, as the first issue was quite fun, and maybe the third.

But overall, when all was said and done, we have yet another craptacular crossover.

"D+" for the series.

Please IDW, don't bother with this again.

inflatable dalek
2006-09-03, 06:45 PM
Good grief, that was actually rather fun all in all. SerpentO.R. remains one of the most interesting "new" TF charecters in a long while (I know he's based ona Joe charecter, but appearence aside he doesn't seem a lot like his namesake in the only Joe I've recently watched, the Movie) and the cheese/interesting ideas ratio was about right.

It was nice to see Grimlocks rebellious streak being more than "Me Grimlock badass!" style quotes as well.

But where did Hawk get that cloak?

Clogs
2006-09-03, 09:28 PM
Aaarggghhh!

:wall:

inflatable dalek
2006-09-04, 02:07 PM
And Overkill being a dirty pervert and thus single handedly destroying any claim to asexuality the Formies could have was fun as well.

Halfshell
2006-09-04, 02:10 PM
... so I made the right choice by deciding to ignore all the crossovers then?

inflatable dalek
2006-09-04, 02:24 PM
Well, I can't speak for all the crossovers but this was was mostly harmless good pulpy fun with a few neat ideas. It's the very definition of inessential but still a nice little read.

Clogs
2006-09-04, 08:54 PM
And Overkill being a dirty pervert and thus single handedly destroying any claim to asexuality the Formies could have was fun as well.

Arrrrggghhhhhhh!

inflatable dalek
2006-09-05, 03:55 PM
Arrrrggghhhhhhh!

Well, if you're jelous I'm sure he'd find room in his harem for you.

Or rather he would if Snake Eyes hadn't used his amazing Ninja powers to kill an advanced outer space robot person by poking them with a sword again.

Clogs
2006-09-06, 01:03 PM
Patience is a virtue,
Catch it if you can,
Often found in women,
Seldom in a man....

I am calm....

Clogs
2006-09-12, 08:36 PM
I'VE GOT IT!!!

And I must agree about the harem thing. And the ninj thing.

And Hawk...?:wtf:

inflatable dalek
2006-09-13, 04:54 PM
That's Hawk Prime to you.

Denyer
2006-10-13, 02:33 AM
http://forums.idwpublishing.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=21;t=1995

Thursday, October 12th, 2006 3:27PM CDT

In an interview with Newsarama, Tim Seely stated that he is working on a new G.I. Joe vs Transformers comic.

On the question on what he is working on currently, he answered:

"So much. Loaded Bible 2: Blood of Christ is out in January with art by Mike Norton and Mark Englert. I'm also working on a new G.I.Joe vs. Transformers series which will allow me to use some of my favoritest aspects of those two franchises. I'm drawing some G.I.Joe, and getting ready to draw Demonwars with R.A. Salvatore, and I'm prepping the next Hack/Slash book, which is a crossover I assure you will be better than Civil War and Infinite Crisis combined."

inflatable dalek
2006-10-13, 02:24 PM
Another one? Good Grief. Maybee they'll explain where Hawk brought that nice cape from?

Actually, that reminds me, issue five review needs to be finished...

inflatable dalek
2006-10-14, 04:36 PM
And indeed, here be the issue five review...:

http://tfarchive.com/community/showthread.php?s=&postid=521410#post521410