PDA

View Full Version : Transformers: Classics toy preview photos!

Nevermore
2006-05-25, 11:59 PM
Classics Optimus Prime, Astrotrain, Hot Rod and Starscream can be seen in the members section of the Collectors' Club website.

And now theose pics are also official at Hasbro's website.

http://www.hasbro.com/transformers/default.cfm?page=news&newsid=70BEDAAE-D56F-E112-412B14A6033C14A1

Official stock photos of Megatron, Starscream, Astrotrain and Bumblebee in and out of packaging:

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-classics-and-alternators-nemesis-prime-in-package-plus-more.htm

Rodimus:

http://www.tfw2005.com/official-images-of-transformers-classics-autobot-rodimus.htm

NEW: Optimus Prime

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=102787

Denyer
2006-05-26, 12:19 AM
Remember, mashed potatoes and search engines are your friends, kids...

They're all stylised but likeable. I hope distribution (i.e. getting them in the US and internationally) won't be a problem.

:up:

RID Scourge
2006-05-26, 01:01 AM
I really like that Hot Rod. I mean, they're all really good looking, but Hot Rod is supurb!

Ravage
2006-05-26, 01:14 AM
Hot Rod and Screamer, wow! They all look sweet. Must buy them all.

Ford DeceptiFocus
2006-05-26, 05:58 AM
Originally posted by Denyer
Remember, mashed potatoes and search engines are your friends, kids...

May I have a more direct clue? www.mashed potatos.com didn't work. :wall:

Gouki
2006-05-26, 08:33 AM
No one else thinks Starscream looks alot like the Masterpiece one?

Darth Zax
2006-05-26, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Gouki
No one else thinks Starscream looks alot like the Masterpiece one?

yes, it does indeed. except for the red on his wings.

ravimus prime
2006-05-26, 06:25 PM
Now at Hosbro.com:
http://www.hasbro.com/transformers/default.cfm?page=news&newsid=70BEDAAE-D56F-E112-412B14A6033C14A1

Looking good.

DrSpengler
2006-05-26, 06:36 PM

RID Scourge
2006-05-26, 06:37 PM
Megs looks kinda like a nerf gun, but without the foam bullets. That would have been an awesome feature.

Denyer
2006-05-26, 07:17 PM
Pics released by Hasbro. Ta to Smooth.

Ford DeceptiFocus
2006-05-26, 07:20 PM
I'm at a loss. I really was expecting a lot more from this line. I know it's mainly because I've been really spoiled with the Alternator/Binaltech line for the most part, so I'm not too bent out of shape.

Optimus Prime--Pretty good recreation. He has heft, which I think a leader should have.

Starscream--Actually pretty faithful. I'm pleased.

Astrotrain--He looks blocky, and I would have preferred G1 colors. Also doesn't appear as if he's a triple changer, which would have made it a lot better. I could be wrong however, and it really is a triple.

Megatron--While I applaud Hasbro for making him a gun, I just can't get over the Nerf/Armada Laserbeak feel he has going. Considering toy/gun laws, I still give Hasbro credit for making something "for the fans".

Hot Rod (AKA Rodimus)--Personally, I think he's the more "accurate" of the bunch and the one I'm looking forward to the most.

Bumblebee--If he turns into ANYTHING other than a Volkswagon Bug, I'm going to cry. Big dramatic tears. I just pray that the rumors are false and he's NOT going to be a Camaro. That would be sachriledge.

Denyer
2006-05-26, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by Ford DeceptiFocus
doesn't appear as if he's a triple changer, which would have made it a lot better. I could be wrong however, and it really is a triple. One end of the train is split and used as the sides of the shuttle.

Dunno about Bumblebee, but the Camaro thing is for the film -- in this line it'll probably be a bubble car, close to a VW but not exact (like the way the rest of the figures aren't design-faithful...)

EvillEdd
2006-05-26, 07:56 PM
So far so good, they all look fantastic.

As for Bumblebee, a Beetle is a must, but if not then I can see him as a Scion XA maybe....

RID Scourge
2006-05-26, 08:38 PM
Considering the licensing problems that they had with VW with alternators, it's probably highly unlikely to see a Beetle transformer.

They might be able to get away with something that looks like it, but isn't an actual car that you'd find on the road. Even that might be dangerous waters if VW can make a case that they were using a similar design with the intent of making the character a VW. Even if they can't make a case, they might still attempt a lawsuit just because VW does not want to be associated with war machines.

Cliffjumper
2006-05-26, 08:48 PM
I really like "Rodimus" [OMG etc etc] and Starscream (though for Screamer, I'll hold out and wait for Skywarp & Thundercracker recolours - both have better schemes, unless they **** up and us TC's ****ty cartoon blue or something). Not sold on Prime - I have a Robot Masters one which looks better in both modes, why would I bother? Astrotrain is a "depends if he's cheap" one (I know it says $9.99; depends how that translates to how many get shipped, how many and when they get over here, and how $9.99 translates for the UK). Megatron? I'd buy the Energon one, which has a proper alt-mode. To be honest, if I ever get round to painting RiD Bludgeon in the G1 comics colour scheme, I'll have a respectable Megatron.

But yeh, pretty good overall :) Certainly the best batch of first-wave figures I've seen for a "main" Western line since RiD, at least =)

jhlucas
2006-05-26, 10:20 PM
Thank you, Hasbro!! I haven't bought many TF's from the Cybertron line, and now I'm glad I saved my money. These Classics are an absolute must.

Denyer
2006-05-26, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by RID Scourge
Even if they can't make a case, they might still attempt a lawsuit just because VW does not want to be associated with war machines. Too many bubble cars these days. As long as it doesn't have a logo, it's kosher.

Rod is probably my favourite.

Ford DeceptiFocus
2006-05-26, 11:41 PM
One end of the train is split and used as the sides of the shuttle.

Dunno about Bumblebee, but the Camaro thing is for the film -- in this line it'll probably be a bubble car, close to a VW but not exact (like the way the rest of the figures aren't design-faithful...)

I could handle Bumblebee being a Mini Cooper. :)

Gouki
2006-05-27, 01:41 AM
I'm pretty pleased with all of them except Megatron.

Rodimus (although it looks more like Hot Rod than Rodimus, unless they're taking the Japanese Hot Rodimus name.)

Ravage
2006-05-27, 04:15 AM
Wait! I get it! Megatron is going to bring about Transformers- The Nerf Wars.

Warcry
2006-05-27, 04:16 AM
Roddy is pretty neat. The arms look a little too thin, and the hips look odd in the pictures I've seen, but he manages to look a lot like the original while having about 50 times more articulation, so he's a winner in my books.

Astrotrain is pretty cool. It looks like they managed to pull off the triple-changing fairly well, and still make him look like the original in robot mode. I actually would have liked Astrotrain a bit more if they had used the more-attractive cartoon colour scheme, but it's not like the toy scheme was ugly to begin with. I'll definately pick him up.

As for Screamer...an excellent-looking mold, and a better colour scheme on the jet than the guy usually gets. I'd like to say I'll be like Cliffy and hold out for Thundercracker or Skywarp instead of buying Starscream, because I've got so many bloody Starscreams already. But I don't think I've got the willpower to pull that off. :(

Optimus has a neat robot mode, but we've had a truckload of nice Optimi over the last few years, so I doubt I'll be shelling out for this one.

Megatron? M'eh. I'd rather have seen a tank with a good colour scheme than an unrealistic gun with purple and orange everywhere, to be honest. If that's the tradeoff we've got to accept to get another gun Megatron...why bother? :confused:

trilobitepictures
2006-05-27, 05:01 AM
I would have waited an eternity for this...
It's Nerf, or NOTHIN', Prime...

But seriously, Hasbro's getting my money.

Cliffjumper
2006-05-27, 09:27 AM
Too many bubble cars these days. As long as it doesn't have a logo, it's kosher.

This is what I was thinking... there must be something to do with scale and realism, and how much the model of car is actually part of the toy's promotion, coming into play with licensing TFs, or did they really go to all the hassle for, say, RiD Prowl or the Armada Mini-Cons (you know, the ones that were sportscars - Street Speed? the ones that were actually rather good)?

Bluecatcinema
2006-05-27, 11:13 AM
Nice Hasbro pics. They all look good, especially the Deceps! No Bumblebee pics though. Definetly putting those guys on my wish list.

ravimus prime
2006-05-27, 12:33 PM
Realistically, I'll probably never get any of these. I think Rodimus, Starscream and Astrotrain are excellent (Not too sure about Optimus and I think Megatron looks stupid) but they probably won't be released in Ireland and the eBay prices will be insane for a few months after they're released.

HeavyArms
2006-05-27, 12:36 PM
Hasbro's taking my money as well.
Those ********!

Springer007
2006-05-27, 03:43 PM
i have just had a jaw droppign experience with those hasbro official photos. i can die a happy man :D

Nevermore
2006-05-27, 06:33 PM
Bumblebee can be seen at certain places.

Springer007
2006-05-27, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by HeavyArms
Hasbro's taking my money as well.
Those ********!

amen... they always take my money, as well as bandai for gundam weapons for my alternators XD

Pun-3X
2006-05-27, 06:57 PM
My Alternator weapons tend to come from old Armored Core figures. But they all work well. ;)

I'm loving everything but Megatron. (who does look interesting, just not enough to buy)

I'm with Cliffy--I hope they do the other two Seekers, and hopefully in decent color schemes.

Sociopathic Autobot
2006-05-27, 07:29 PM
Egads... I may actually buy some transformers toys.

Clogs
2006-05-27, 10:22 PM
They all look real nice, but Hot Rod/imus needs to work those super model thighs a bit, know what I mean? Megs will be a winner among the little boy brigade (and some of the big boys, I guess). Screamer is so MINE, and will be very happy to get Skywarp and Thundercracker in this mold; nice to see the 'plane mode look more than reasonable.

Arrgh! I can feel my bank balance being sucked dry... but I know it's worth it. :)

starscreamjericho
2006-05-27, 11:58 PM
starscream, hot rod, and astrotrain are a must. prime i can do without . and if megs was like transforming super soaker that really shot water hmmmmmmmmm maybe. also i'm i the only one waiting for a seeker that transformers into a flying pyramid from cybertron from g1.

Denyer
2006-05-28, 12:06 AM
Cybertron Starscream is pretty close, surely? Considering they still transformed into robots with bits of Earth jet hanging off...

Archklown
2006-05-28, 01:07 AM
Does Anyone know if Megs is Gonna come with some Sucker Darts or Foam Darts? I really hoping so as Megs Would Be Such a great toy To play around with At work. I Work in a call Center and Toys like Megs and Armda Lazerbeak help break the time in between calls.

Pun-3X
2006-05-28, 01:51 AM
The gunmode is capped off so it looks like it doesn't. The scope in robot mode is a different story. It might not, but they could have made a firing mechanism inside it. It's more likely to see plastic missiles than foam darts, though. Guess we'll see.

Darth Zax
2006-05-28, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by starscreamjericho
starscream, hot rod, and astrotrain are a must. prime i can do without . and if megs was like transforming super soaker that really shot water hmmmmmmmmm maybe. also i'm i the only one waiting for a seeker that transformers into a flying pyramid from cybertron from g1.

i say wait for the titanium version.

BlueSkids
2006-05-28, 10:26 PM
They've rub signs... It's a nice and nostalgic touch.

CounterPunch
2006-05-29, 10:41 AM
screamer and rodders are nice, others... meh

Clogs
2006-05-29, 09:26 PM
Seekers that have pyramid jet transformation? Wouldn't that be brill! Memories of old Cybertron there! I have to expect, though, that these toys may be purchased by persons who have no idea (gasp!) what they are buying into, and will wonder at a vehicle that in no way resembles an Earthly one. Oh, heck - my husband has even criticised the cartoon for not getting the jets just right, but lots of his kit-building compadres are all number-of-rivets retentive.

We can dream...we can but dream.

kupimus aka(clocker)
2006-05-30, 12:46 PM
any hope for these to be released in the uk (or just england even)

i'd love to get the hot rod toy, but surely there are enough versions of optimus prime out already which are well worth getting

fourth_heir
2006-05-31, 11:26 AM
Well, I’ve looked them over, thought about it, looked them over some more and now it’s time to pronounce judgement…

Megatron: I expected this guy to be one of the worst things in the line and he completely surprised me by turning out to be the best in this initial bunch! He’ll need a few modifications to the paint apps when he shows up but overall a great looking rework of the old buckethead. Definite buy!

Optimus: Another successful update. This guy has claimed the #2 spot in the ‘best OP ever’ charts – right behind RiD’s Op and just ahead of Bendy Prime. Another ‘must buy’!

Hot Rod/Rodimus: Roddy is hot again! Excellent altmode – no complaints here (unless I particularly feel like bemoaning the absence of rubber tyres). The robot’s thighs are a bit skinny (although that was a reasonably common G1 feature) and I’ll probably paint over the yellow ‘eyebrows’. I’ve seen a few complaints about the shoulder design but I like it personally – it reminds me a lot of the first ever TFs back in ’84. Definite buy again!

Astrotrain: Nice to see they opted for the toy colours over the dull grey and purple I noticed a lot of people hoping for. The robot is clearly the classic character but with that mould’s inherent problems rectified; the shuttle looks superb but the train is more of a train-wreck unfortunately. This one’s a ‘maybe’.

Starscream: Very disappointing – I prefer the original Diaclone mould over this one TBH. The fancy ‘air display team’ livery does nothing for me and the robot mode appears very poorly proportioned – the gaping holes in his sides do little to help either. I’ll pass on this one.

Bumblebee: Biggest failure in the bunch. I’ve never been a fan of his ‘cute’ animation model (the toy looked really cool, why did the artists feel compelled to wreck him?) and this design looks like it’s taken that and tried to out-cute it resulting in an ugly, malformed, dumpy little bot with ‘comedy sidekick’ written all over him. Total pass!

So, three ‘definites’ and a ‘maybe’ out of six. Impressive ratio there, Hasbro – well done!

Notabot
2006-05-31, 07:22 PM
Pics of Bumblebee don't seem to be on the Hasbro site. Are they public anywhere else?

Cliffjumper
2006-05-31, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by Notabot
Pics of Bumblebee don't seem to be on the Hasbro site. Are they public anywhere else?

Not as yet, sadly.

Pun-3X
2006-06-01, 03:03 AM
Funny enough, the only picture I've seen is at TFans in the kitbashing section. And it's a digibash into Cliffjumper.

http://www.tfans.com/talk/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=27237

At least you can get the idea.

RID Scourge
2006-06-01, 03:22 AM
Hmmm . . . I won't be surprized if we actually see that in a later wave.

Jaynz
2006-06-01, 04:43 AM
Originally posted by RID Scourge
Hmmm . . . I won't be surprized if we actually see that in a later wave.

There's a shot in Master collector this month that has a 'concept piece' supsciously like a red classics Bumblebee... (hard to see, though, it's in the 'funny' GI Joe... thing.. crap)

Aaron almost promises several repaints , depending on how the line does and how the movie does.

Nevermore
2006-06-01, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by Notabot

Someone scanned the pic of Bumblebee from the Club newsletter and slapped a false "TakaraTomy" watermark onto it (so it would look as if it was a genuine TT promo image), and then posted it at a Japanese message board. That pic is currently floating around the web, but since it's scanned form the newsletter, it's not permitted to post that image on most TF websites.

Pun-3X
2006-06-01, 03:16 PM
Yeah, just found that pic. Someone linked it over at Allspark.

Looks like he comes with a little four-wheeler. (Minicon?) Not too shabby-looking.

Darth Zax
2006-06-01, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Pun-3X
Yeah, just found that pic. Someone linked it over at Allspark.

Looks like he comes with a little four-wheeler. (Minicon?) Not too shabby-looking.

a jet ski in fact, turns into a weapon.

Cliffjumper
2006-06-01, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by Pun-3X
Funny enough, the only picture I've seen is at TFans in the kitbashing section. And it's a digibash into Cliffjumper.

http://www.tfans.com/talk/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=27237

At least you can get the idea.

I really like that, even as a Bumblebee (yellow, different head design, I'd guess?). Mini-Alternator - fantastic, as my main problem with Alternators is that half of my house can't be given over to pretentiously displaying "action figures" like trophies...

Darth Zax
2006-06-01, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Cliffjumper
I really like that, even as a Bumblebee (yellow, different head design, I'd guess?). Mini-Alternator - fantastic, as my main problem with Alternators is that half of my house can't be given over to pretentiously displaying "action figures" like trophies...

it's the same head.

Pun-3X
2006-06-02, 01:17 AM
Yeah, that "Cliffjumper" is only color-altered. It looks like the one that Allspark put up.

http://www.tfans.com/talk/index.php?showtopic=48297

Further down that thread, you'll see the normal Bumblebee as a guy's sig/link.

Bluecatcinema
2006-06-02, 10:56 AM
Hasbro have just updated that news item with a pic of Astrotrain's train mode!

jhlucas
2006-06-02, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Bluecatcinema-- ...pic of Astrotrain's train mode!

My mind soooo wants to wander into the gutter when describing that alt. mode.

Darth Zax
2006-06-02, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by jhlucas
My mind soooo wants to wander into the gutter when describing that alt. mode.

you mean like everyone else did when the proto pics appeared?

Aardvark
2006-06-02, 12:28 PM
His train of thought is still at the station...dahahahhaahhahaha

I guess my puns could do with some training

Nah I guess these puns have run out of steam

Pun-3X
2006-06-02, 03:18 PM
THIS Pun's gonna kick your butt in a minute.

...okay, not really.

starscreamjericho
2006-06-04, 08:38 PM
i like the train version a little to long, but a bullet train was a goog choice being tha the bullet train team in r.i.d. did so good.

Dragon Warrior Steve
2006-06-05, 02:13 AM
Those classics are freakin' awesome. I'm pumped for the DVD as well.

numbat
2006-06-05, 10:48 PM
Hve to say I love the designs for Hot Rod and Bumblebee - they're phenomenal!

Astrotrain is cool as well, and if he looks good in real life, could well be the greatest Tripple Changer in my opinion. Still, I'll wait and see...

I'm actually not sold on Starscream, like everyone else seems to be. He looks cool, that's for sure, but I just can't quite get in to his proportions and his legs and that sunken chest... He might look better in reallity though...

Alas, Prime looks a bit on tha daft side - sticking with RM Convoy and THS Galaxy Convoy, I reckon.

And poor Megatron! He's been devastated!

If the prices aren't too unrealistic, Bumblebee and hopefully Hot Rod will be joining my collection, but buying in the UK is rarely cheap...

Duozenith558
2006-06-06, 03:06 AM
Hot Rod and Starscream look the best to me. I like the rub signs too. Astrotrain is not that bad except for the colors. Both of Megatron's modes are horrible. If they got rid of the green it would be a lot better.

And Optimus Prime is okay.

Nevermore
2006-07-11, 03:35 PM
Optimus Prime official in and out of packaging stock photos:

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=102787

Clogs
2006-07-11, 09:03 PM
I must have caught a touch of the sun today: I actually want to purchase this OP!

Zisteau
2006-07-12, 12:31 AM
:up: Astrotrain, Hotrod, Starscream

:down: Megs

Kind of mixed feelings about Optimus.

Pingu
2006-07-15, 05:14 AM
Bumblebee

http://tformers.com/ig.php?mode=album&album=6064&dispsize=800&start=0

Its in there.

Denyer
2006-07-15, 05:20 AM
Uh, yeah... the pics have been around for over a month and are linked in the first post of this thread.

edit: Hang on, why are you bumping a thread from the start of June?

edit2: Might as well stay open.

mongoosehuman
2006-07-15, 05:49 PM
Is Astrotrain's space shuttle mode mistransformed? Look at the vertical (dorsal?) fin on the tail. On the space shuttle, it's split into a V-shape. With the joints, I could easily see it folded into a single vertical fin, more like real space shuttle.

Darth Zax
2006-07-15, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by mongoosehuman
Is Astrotrain's space shuttle mode mistransformed? Look at the vertical (dorsal?) fin on the tail. On the space shuttle, it's split into a V-shape. With the joints, I could easily see it folded into a single vertical fin, more like real space shuttle.

yeah, it's in robot mode form.