View Full Version : Stormbringer #1-4/TPB

Denyer
2006-07-14, 03:52 PM
Issue #1 is due out on 19th July

If you want to read 'em...

Interview: http://comicnewsi.com/article.php?catid=208&itemid=8746
5 pages of #1: http://www.newsarama.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69310
5 pages of #2: http://idwpublishing.com/previews.shtml

...if not, the basic premise of this four-issue miniseries is to delve into what's happening with the TFs in the rest of the galaxy (especially around Cybertron) and go into a bit of its recent (for robots with long lifespans) past. It's a side-story to Infiltration, which forms part of IDW's core continuity.

Spoiler tagging works like this: {spoiler}your text here{/spoiler} except with [ ] brackets rather than { }

Like this.
Use it for discussing information revealed about issues past the current one.

Zisteau
2006-07-19, 10:00 PM
Big :up:

I really, really enjoyed this. This and the Hearts of Iron mini are far better than the infiltration mini.

Personal favorite bit:
The bit where Megs wakes up Prime. Dunno why, just a cool moment, and fantastic art.

Commander Shockwav
2006-07-19, 11:52 PM
Simon.

That was good. Damn good.

I was strong enough to resist reading the previews and blurbs on this sucker for a few months now, and I'm glad I did, because I thoroughly enjoyed this issue having not had prior knowledge of what it was about and who was in it.

Where to begin with the pleasant surprises here?

How about the cast? We have Jetfire and the Technobots bent on uncovering the source of mysterious energy signals emanating from a supposedly dead Cybertron. Very good character choice for such an expedition and I actually understood for once Simon's techno mumbo jumbo. Hell, we even had a Throttlebot in this one. You just have to pleased when you see a Throttlebot because you know an effort is being made to branch away from the standard cast, and in my book, that's always a good thing. Its nice to see a threat to Prime and Megs other than each other again too.

The dialogue? Yeah, its Furmanesque, but thankfully there were no unnecessary grunting noises and "Oh"s. The way the dialogue from the flashbacks flowed into the scenes of current events and then back to flashbacks was beautifully done.

The story? Very intriguing and darkly mysterious. I was hooked from the first few pages. Really, its the mystery aspect of this story that has me drooling for the next issue. I particularly enjoyed seeing the search team downed (but out?) by issues end, as this was unexpected.

I have not been this much pleased with a Furman work since his run on G2 at Marvel. And I haven't enjoyed a TF comic this much since DW's ongoing was cancelled. I called Simon "washed up" a while back, but if he can continue to hit home by series end, an apology from myself will definitely be in order.

The art? Hey. It's Don. Nuff said.

A solid "A" comic that will have TF fans raving.

Ford DeceptiFocus
2006-07-20, 04:48 AM
First things first--The Transformers: Stormbringer #1 = A+

Wow! Wow! Wow!

Words can not express how much this issue ruled!

Praise Primus!

Ok...breathe...breathe...Okay, I realize that I'm one of the few that has really liked Infiltration, but now THIS mini shows why Infiltration is damn good reading. Stormbringer took what Infiltration gave us...expanded on that universe...tied some (unexpected) things in...gave us some of the backstory to "this" universe...created an even bigger world...and oddly enough, set up clues to an even bigger universe in which to explore.

I mean honestly...we got a Throttlebot. I mean who amongst us was expecting that? *JOYGASM* We got brilliant character building, very good dialogue...an intriguing mystery that had me screaming, "NO, I can't wait another four weeks for part 2!!!" and an Optimus Prime before he comes to Earth in Infiltration #6.

And the one page that will have fans talking for months...you know which one I'm talking about, but I won't spoil it if you haven't read it.

My hats off to IDW. WELL DONE! This WILL bring fans back to the fold. This WILL cause people to read Escalation--and to rethink negative views on Infiltration. This WILL bring in new fans!

I think I need a valium. :D

Aardvark
2006-07-20, 07:32 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed it, perhaps not as much as others, but it certainly was good. At any rate I have high hopes for this series.

First and foremost it was very well executed. A wonderfully dark, menacing, "clinical" tale enhanced by some pretty nifty artwork; the emotions of the characters were remarkably conveyed while the setting personified the mood of the piece. It covered a broad range of ideas and styles. Furthermore the pacing was spot on.

I agree with Zisteau in regards to that scene. A touch clichéd but delivered rather well. However... Is that the bloody matrix! For God's sake no...

Prime came across as a believable, militaristic commander. The situation on earth didn't prompt him to say something on the lines of "I must protect the rights of all sentient beings- evil will not prevail”. It was certainly refreshing to see a non- boy scout, "Peter Perfect" Prime. He's got his troubles{Don't we all}, mental anguish, doubts etc but doesn’t go all Rodimus on us.

The actual layout of the piece was extremely well thought out. The contrast of the diverse flashbacks, Technobot and Prime scenes adds to the story, giving the “content” a more sprawling, widespread feel as opposed to the more straight down the line “Infiltration”

The big action sequence, despite being somewhat of a cliché, was also excellently delivered; very exhilarating and quite cinematic ala Infiltration.

In terms of Transformers “Stormbringer” seemed to be slightly text heavy. That may put some readers off but I for one, welcome it. The Sci-fi “mumbo jumbo” was convincing and handled appropriately, never really going overboard.

More importantly the world of the Transformers was very much believable. The scene in which the scientists came together (Albeit in holographic form) to discuss Thunderwing’s findings, regardless of their respective faction, is a prime example of this. I’m glad to see a somewhat more diplomatic, sensible approach.

The story and artwork was slightly let down by some dodgy dialogue. The OTT dialogue is very much Simon’s style. It’s what I’ve come to expect and for the most part suits the world of Transformers. No problems there. The sheer dramatic delivery is what enables Simon to incorporate those superb and furthermore memorable OTT lines. (Re: Megs’ speech in Infiltration #6)

However some of the dialogue seemed very poor indeed; at times it was almost harking back to the “Indeed Scattershot, leader of the Autobot group know as the Technobots” Marvel days. Having said that there were some nice pieces of dialogue. As I've said before, the “scientific mumbo jumbo” was handled rather well. The ending was grim, intriguing and somewhat thrilling. The best “big reveal” ending so far.

And now for the little things that brought a smile to my face:

Searchlight wasn’t roped in with the rest of the Throttlebots and moreover treated as an individual.

Pincher! I really didn’t expect my favourite scorpion to be it (Yeah that includes Scorponok)

Omega didn’t receive the DW “super size” treatment

And now for the nitpicks:

The Matrix (Which could be more than a little “niggle” depending on how Simon utilises it and how he portrays it…)

“Slag this, slag that…”

Overall it was a great opening issue; it introduced us to the series, giving us a fair amount of background but withholding enough to keep the interest up. That aside, it was a fine issue in it’s own right though I still think the TPB will be the more favourable format.
Corking stuff…

Commander Shockwav
2006-07-21, 02:24 AM
I'll tell you where Simon needs to be careful in this series.

He has a tendency to do two things which, for me, threaten a good story.

1. He goes too epic too fast. His storylines of late have encompassed Cybertron-shattering events that effect all bots on a grand scale. For example, his War Within series always included themes that affected the entire TF race with Cybertron going through "second-skin healing processes" and the such. This is good once in a while, but he needs to take the focus back to individual character development and individual character interaction because ultimately, though the overall premise may be cool, the story ends up being stale if there is no character-driven focus.

2. He gets too mystical or spiritual. In other words, he forgets we are not dealing with fleshy creatures with religious inclinations or archaic sorcery, but with metallic, mechanic beings of a scientific nature.

This first issue, he steered clear of these things. For example, though Cybertron was a focus, the story focused even more on Jetfire and his crew and their individual personalities and how they were dealing with their newfound discovery. Secondly, though the Pretenders arrival seemed much akin to the arrival of ghostly spirits from another realm, he brought it back to a scientific level by having Jetfire exclaim that it was some sort of advanced warping armor being used. See? Scientific. With that one line, he grounded things for me, and I needed that.

inflatable dalek
2006-07-21, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Commander Shockwav
2. He gets too mystical or spiritual. In other words, he forgets we are not dealing with fleshy creatures with religious inclinations or archaic sorcery, but with metallic, mechanic beings of a scientific nature.

The charecters he had following mystisism (Bludgeon, Bugly, Mindwipe) all had religious inclinations/archaic sorcery as part of their original profiles (as did various others like that funky kung fu Action Master who's name I forget), so really he's staying true to charecter. Now if he had Perceptor suddenly sacrificing virgin goats in the name of the dark lord I'd understad the complaint...

Commander Shockwav
2006-07-21, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by inflatable dalek
The charecters he had following mystisism (Bludgeon, Bugly, Mindwipe) all had religious inclinations/archaic sorcery as part of their original profiles (as did various others like that funky kung fu Action Master who's name I forget), so really he's staying true to charecter. Now if he had Perceptor suddenly sacrificing virgin goats in the name of the dark lord I'd understad the complaint...

Yeah, I know its appropriate in some of the characters profiles, and as long as he keeps it there, I'm fine with that.

The problem arises when he goes overboard, for example, by making Prime repeatedly able to see the doom and gloom coming in the future. He did that with Prime in the original Marvel run, he did it with the Swarm in G2, and again we see Primes soothsayers side, where the guy can predict the future. He might as well give us the winning lotto numbers while he's at it.

I guess having the Matrix might explain this supernatural ability, but still, I like to keep such nontechnical elements to a minimum.

I just hope Thunderwing is not made out to be some sort of a supernatural god to these Pretenders, but rather a great hero, a champion who saved their lives.

WOT
2006-07-21, 05:32 PM
true

but he also creater the primus and unicron gods stuck in planets storyline from scrach.(and as far as i'm concerned astral plains and waring gods is not science.)

Halfshell
2006-07-21, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by Aardvark
I thoroughly enjoyed it, perhaps not as much as others, but it certainly was good. At any rate I have high hopes for this series.

First and foremost it was very well executed. A wonderfully dark, menacing, "clinical" tale

Yep. Nice little start. Self contained well - did what it set out to do.

Though I nearly cried when I read "it never ends."

And not of happiness. :(

another tf fan
2006-07-22, 05:06 PM
I thought the basic idea of stormbringer was great. I'm just a little lost on the "dead transformers" as ghosts... It's not new as Starscream came back to inhabit Scourge... I just like my TF stories to be about living robots. I know the explaination of armor is supposed to make a scientific reason for the return of dead transformers but ( and maybe im off my rocker in expecting a comic about alien transforming robots to stick to accepted laws of physics) AREN'T THERE ENOUGH TRANSFORMERS ALIVE THAT DEAD ONE'S CAN REMAIN DEAD?... you decide.

Halfshell
2006-07-22, 07:31 PM
What makes you think the Pretenders are dead?

Way I saw it, the armour they're sporting renders them effectively invisible. Doesn't mean they're dead...

another tf fan
2006-07-22, 11:16 PM
the way i read it i thought they were dead....

Commander Shockwav
2006-07-22, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by another tf fan
the way i read it i thought they were dead....

No, they aren't dead.

They are simply wearing an armor that allows them to survive in the mostly uninhabitable Cybertron, which protects them from those energy storms and gives them the ability to remain hidden and cloaked.

I mean, I too would be majorly pissed if these were ghosts like Starscream, as I too want things to remain technically possible and nonspiritual.

So yeah, be happy. There is a logical explanation, given by Jetfire, for their being cloaked.

Lambda prime
2006-07-23, 09:43 AM
"only organic life can withstand the plasma energy chamber."
Yawn. Trandformers that have Organic armor to shield their bodies.

inflatable dalek
2006-07-23, 07:04 PM
Well, this rocked didn't it? We criticise the Furman for not being able to do endings so much we tend to forget he can start stories brilliantly when he puts his mind to it. I found it a little odd that Soundwave was in amoungst the greatest Scientific minds on Cybertron (and apart from Perceptor who were the others) and Jetfire puting his battlemask on off camera would probably have confused peeps who haven't read any DW stuff as it looks as if he suddenly changers his appearence halfway through the issue.

Still, two very small niggles is a good sign, so roll on issue two!

Aardvark
2006-07-23, 07:11 PM
(and apart from Perceptor who were the others)

http://forums.idwpublishing.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?;act=Post;CODE=06;f=21;t=1482;p=20001The other two are Mixmaster and Swerve. Due credit to Ben Yee for shaking loose the scientists from the TF pack of cards.

--Simon F

inflatable dalek
2006-07-23, 07:14 PM
Oh, and is that only the second time we've seen Thundey outside of his Pretender shell?

Zisteau
2006-07-23, 07:57 PM
and Jetfire puting his battlemask on off camera would probably have confused peeps who haven't read any DW stuff as it looks as if he suddenly changers his appearence halfway through the issue.

They'd probably also notice all the red armor hes wearing suddenly and put 2 and 2 together. At least I hope they would.

inflatable dalek
2006-07-23, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by Zisteau
They'd probably also notice all the red armor hes wearing suddenly and put 2 and 2 together. At least I hope they would.

Well, it took me a few seconds and I've read The Dark Ages. But then I'm thick.

WOT
2006-07-25, 03:23 PM
well speakig as one of limated experience (verry littel comic knowlage but knows all about g1 tv)
yes it took a bit of time to put things together however it realy was the least of my problems.

I find it ironic that infultration had an inside cover to tell me who rachet and optimus prime was (two of the most well-known transformers). but in stormbringer i am expected to know who thunderwing is (and i dont have a clue).

trilobitepictures
2006-07-25, 10:49 PM
Who is the Decepticon scientist that Jetfire and the others are talking to on page 11?

Aardvark
2006-07-26, 12:36 AM
Thunderwing

Denyer
2006-07-26, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by WOT
in stormbringer i am expected to know who thunderwing is It's not really important -- you get all you need to know in the issue.

Will do review at some point. Right after everything else. Enjoyed it, anyway. :)

Aardvark
2006-07-26, 12:58 AM
I hope Escalation stays away from that bloody silhouette nonsense...OMG is that Prime lurking in the shadows.

trilobitepictures
2006-07-26, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by Aardvark
Thunderwing

So it is. Thanks muchly, Mr Aardvark!

Denyer
2006-08-06, 03:08 AM
Issue #2 is due out on 9th August

Commander Shockwav
2006-08-10, 02:14 AM
Simon......

TWO FOR TWO, BABY!

What can I say? Every once in a while, a legend of old graces us with some flashes of brilliance, and Simon does just that for the second time with this outstanding issue.

But before getting to the story, I have to commend Don and Josh on what I feel is, artistically, the best Transformers comic we have had in many a year. Don, your pencilling in this issue is gorgeous, and the coloring of Josh supplements it perfectly. I have not seen work this good since Don's Sunstorm issues for DW. If ever there was an example to follow for those artists who are inclined to tackle Transformers, let this issue serve as the standard of how a TF comic should look.

Back to the story, its really what TF fans, particularly those who enjoyed Furmans run on Marvel UK and US, have been looking for. A huge cast with some obscure characters finally being brought forward again, like Dogfight, Scoop, and Ruckus. With Jetfire, the Wreckers, Prime, Megs, Bludgeon, etc., what's there not to like about the cast?

Its one thing to show a character here and there for a panel or two, and then never see them again. But here, with the Technobots for example, we are allowed to care about these characters who are actually given a chance to develop.

The story remains shrouded in mystery, which I feel is a strong point. Better to slowly unravel things here and keep the reader guessing. It makes for a much more exciting read.

A solid "A" comic, almost flawless in every way I can think of.

Strong, strong work guys.

mista_lyle
2006-08-10, 02:14 AM
ooo do i get to be the first person to comment on how good this issue is?!! excellent. picked it up yesterday. im in sydney btw so thats probably why im one of the first!

first of all the art is awesome. unfortunately ive only seen the preview for #1 as everywhere in sydney seems to have sold out, but sufficed to say its cool, especially the slightly over-the-top entrance of 'someone in particular' on the last page!!

nice to see the action move away from cybertron too... again dont want to spoil it for others but it introduces a few old favourites we havnt seen since the Marvel days. it really leaves you wondering what on earth (or whatever planet!) is gonna happen next. ARRRRGH cant wait for issue 3!!

as ive only recently (yesterday infact) got my hands on the Dark Ages series Im just slightly concerned that this issue is teetering on the edge of retreading some of the ideas in the previous (wonderful) mini-series. especially with the inclusion of Bludgeon and Co upto their usual freaky, subversive antics... we shall wait and see how it unfolds...!

mista_lyle
2006-08-10, 02:17 AM
damn! pipped at the post! ah well, guess number 2 aint bad!

LKW
2006-08-12, 11:07 PM
Stormbringer continues on in interesting fashion, as more fragments of the mystery are revealed, and more familiar settings and concepts are re-introduced for the IDW TF universe.

I'm enjoying the use of all of these lesser-known Transformers. (I may be a little biased about Nosecone, since he was the only Technobot I actually owned.) It's nice to see them brought into IDW at such an early stage, and perhaps be given the chance to become mainstays, or at least full-fledged "parts of the gang", in the new continuity.

The use of Nebulos was initially a surprise to me; but really, it does make sense. Why not use a world created in previous TF continuity, and apply it to the current Decepticon tactic of infiltrating, then conquering, planets across the galaxy? And I notice that the cast on Nebulos is in place for future 'Mastering - should Furman choose to go in that direction. It's nice that it's now a choice, rather than a toyline-dictated mandate.

The Wreckers showing up was even more surprising. After reading the issue, I've decided that this could be promising, though I do wonder how many long-time fans will have an "oh no, not AGAIN!" reaction.

In general, kudos to the creative team. Simon, obviously; and I agree that the work by Don Figueroa and Josh Burcham is very good. But, while I did prefer the look of DW's TFs over Marvel's - I think much of that may have been due to the coloring. And that look does continue here at IDW; but, I'm still not quite prepared to name Figueroa - as good as he is - as my favorite TF artist of all time over either Geoff Senior or the team of Andrew Wildman and Stephen Baskerville. (And Baskerville was important - compare Marvel (US) #69 to #70 on; or better yet, check out G.I. Joe #139, the beginning of the Gen 2 introduction. In fact, that issue is a great piece for demonstrating the difference an inker can make: it was pencilled by one artist (Chris Battista), but, thanks to four different inkers, certainly doesn't look it. Baskerville's work is on the first nine pages.) At any rate, very good art; but, I have to admit - I'm not liking the lettering at all. It looks too ... computer-insert, or kiddie comic, or both, to me. I much prefer the main series' style - though I do find it a little difficult comparing the two titles in general, since the tone and pacing of this one is so different.

Anyway, to sum up - another promising, different, very good read!

inflatable dalek
2006-08-14, 09:03 AM
Scoop as a Wreaker?!?!?! What madness is this?

Still the Furman shows he can actually write great issue two's when he puts a mind to it, it's a bit of a expositionry issue but done with style. I loved the fact it's seting up a lot of ground for the ongoing as well by showing the full effects of Decepticon colonisation on a planet.

My only gripes: Ironhide from the Energon comic disguising himself as Dogfight on the grounds that Simon's not afraid to use rubish ideas at least twice (Why would Prime send what seems to be his least experienced officer on what could be a vital mission? Why not Searchlight who seems to have a brain? Or has he used up his obscue charecter cameo credits?); The fact that it looks worryingly like Thunderwing is going to make a melodramatic appearence on the last page of every issue and errr, that's it!

I loved how cheeky Mr. F threw in Primacron soley to send us all mad as well.

Aardvark
2006-08-15, 01:26 AM
I bought this the day after it came but hey…I’m lazy…

First Thoughts

The peak of IDW’s output.

The Writing

The story was superb; dark, exciting, intriguing, self-contained… There was a tremendous amount of “content”. There’s so much going on and yet none of it seems rushed or needless. It seems as though Simon had a lot of fun with this issue, trying out different styles and ideas. And it’s the amalgamation of these ideas that make Stormbringer such an enjoyable read.

The dialogue managed to be both slick and snappy as well as being believable. Springer received some good characterisation, reminiscent of his Marvel counterpart sans the self-doubt. Roadbuster and Springer having a casual conversation in the middle of a war zone brought a smile to my face. I loved the flow of the conversation…reminded me of Pulp Fiction <.< . There’s a lot of potential for Springer and Roadbuster to develop into a cool double act. Now on the subject of Roadbuster, I was kind of hoping he’d be leader of the Wreckers. Nevertheless, I do hope he receives some characterisation and doesn’t just fade into the background.

Now some people may think that Bludgeon is a cold, emotionless, "death machine"; He isn’t just your run-of-the-mill killbot nor is he a cartoonish super villain. There’s much more to the character. He clearly blames Jetfire (He even says so!) for what happened. It’s not their respective factions that fuel their hatred for one another. Yet, Bludgeon wants Jetfire to see the things the way he does and I think he actually respects Jetfire. The animosity between the two characters made for excellent reading. Very well written and surprisingly subtle, considering the chaotic pace of the issue.

It’s a testament to great writing when I find myself caring about Afterburner and Nosecone The manic pace added to the drama and excitement and Simon conveyed a real sense of desperation.

The Megatron/Prime flashbacks have been remarkably poignant and a joy to read. What’s more, not only do they give us an insight into Cybertron’s past but we also get an insight into Optimus and Megatron’s past, which Simon can build upon in future issues. Prime’s self-doubt was quite believable and furthermore justified (And not at all like Rodimus). I know I’d think twice before blowing up my home planet…

One final point regarding the characters; it’s the little things that make a good issue great and the Decepticon infiltration unit is one of those little things. It’s good to see such a wide range of characters; we get a seeker, two Triggercons, a Headmaster, and 2 Powermasters. Oh and eh…Roadgrabber…well you can’t win ‘em all!

It had everything; an interesting plot, lots of mysteries, lot’s of action, good characterisation and it also appealed to my inner “Marvel fanboy” i.e. the Wreckers. Simon needed an elite commando unit like the Wreckers, so why not use them? It’s not as if Simon included (Well he probably couldn't...) the old, Marvel “exclusive” characters, (Impactor, Rack ‘n' Ruin…I still wuv you guys…) If they’re well written and suit the story, then who cares if they’re over-hyped. Personally, I don't think they're overused... And Scoop was in it!

Artwork

Ok, I won’t go into too much detail here; in a nutshell, the artwork rocked harder than..eh... Rockbuster (BW Neo). I knew from the first page (Nebulos is absolutely gorgeous) that this was going to be something special. Don’s designs are fantastic; Bludgeon looks great. He looks like he’s died a thousand deaths yet he still functions (No pun intended), which complements the character’s personality and certainly adds to his menace. Don’s Pretender designs are great, I just wish we could have seen a bit more of them, especially if they’re planning on upgrading to their “classic” forms.

The dead, "hollow" expression on the “sleeping” Thunderwing's face gave me the impression that he could wake up at any given moment. Absolutely brilliant and once again, added to the tension and suspense. Josh’s lush colours are wonderful. He did a fantastic job. It’s not just the Transformers that look great; Varas Centralus looks amazing as does the grim, uninviting, Cybertron. And the Centurions are quite nifty too (Even if they do look a lot like the Tankor drones). My only complaint is Dogfight’s bizarre face. Personally, I prefer the broken jaw look….

The Combination of Don’s dark, elaborate designs and Josh’s striking colours resulted in the best-looking issue thus far.

Last Words

I can’t wait for the next issue!

“Let us hope, that when one way or another, this is all over…that sentiment prevails”.

Rating: 9/10

Halfshell
2006-08-20, 03:40 PM
Right. I just read it after putting the envelope down at the beginning of the week and only just remembering about it.

1) I love it.
2) I have no idea what's going on.

I'm not sure if 2 is intentional on the part of the story, or just due to me having not reread #1 beforehand.

I like that not even Prime knows who Dogfight is. Triggerbots suck!

Who's the smallish purple one stood next to Crankcase?

Aardvark
2006-08-20, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by Brendocon

Who's the smallish purple one stood next to Crankcase?
Roadgrabber.

Lambda prime
2006-08-21, 11:44 AM
If Primacron turns out to be the forefather of all transformers in this universe... I'd have absolutely no objections, sick of all that overblown Unicron and Primus are gods with grand designs for their creations BS that's in every TF series of late.

inflatable dalek
2006-08-21, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by Brendocon

2) I have no idea what's going on.

I've no idea what they were pumping into Tunderwing (his Spark? Some super duper sexy power source? A Shrubery?) nor why he went to Nebulos, but I suspect those are the mysterys that will shortly be solved...

MeGrimlock
2006-08-22, 02:37 PM
I've no idea what they were pumping into Tunderwing

Could it be the "Ultra Energon" mentioned by Iguanus (the same discovered by Nosecone?)

Sociopathic Autobot
2006-08-22, 06:42 PM
I think Thunderwing may have just drawn planet names from a hat and Nebulos got the **** end of the stick.

Denyer
2006-08-23, 04:56 AM
Am I late for this one or early for the next?

Issue Review

Woo-ha. Things continue to move at a fair pace, packing in not one but two worlds which the Decepticons have infiltrated. Plus that whole subplot with Thunderwing and Cybertron...

There's a ton of stuff to like here, as we finally get a demonstration of things only hinted elsewhere, and the Autobot lines really seem to be stretched thin dealing with Decepticon incursions across the galaxy. Once again, the ideas and the sense of freshness are as rewarding as the immediate plot — how many fronts are out there? Have the Decepticons settled any worlds, or just broken what's left down for resources? Do the Autobots have their own mining strips on uninhabited worlds or asteroid belts? Treaties with any planets they've saved? Thus far the Transformers seem to be a leading force in the universe, and that's something I'm glad to see; back in the day they were being beaten up and dismembered by giant organics, Mecannibals, scraplets, and virtually everything else.

Prime's response to Springer telling him he should consider disintegrating Cyberton is underlined by a flashback sequence immediately following, in which Megatron made the same suggestion (albeit after Thunderwing had apparently been taken down) and Prime refused to countenance it. The sequences are woven neatly so that when Prime replies to Dogfight that he hopes sentiment prevails, it's a hope that the young soldier won't regret being eager to go into battle alongside his hero, but also that Prime's hope of resolving the conflict without making what he considers to be an ultimate sacrifice is still alive.

I consider it a nice touch that Thunderwing is a zombified body without sentience (at this point at least — though I'd rather that's how things remain, there's at least a passing chance the resolution in this miniseries is going to involve what's left of Thunderwing briefly regaining faculties. Maybe I'm just too cynical about sci-fi clichés — c'mon Simon, blow the planet, wave two fingers at the status quo, you know you want to.)

Another great detail is that Prime makes slight upgrades over the course of the issue as he's preparing to head over to Cybertron, strapping additional armour over his chest plating and what look like another two energy cannons that poke out over his shoulders. Don's really going to town artistically with this series. (The Wreckers' battlecruiser, the Xantium, takes some cues from Fortress Maximus and has been mentioned to be based on one of his old Macromasters designs.) It's wonderful fanservice, without crossing the line to being fanwank because it doesn't form the meat of the story or art.

There are some production issues similar to those in the first issue with the placement of faction symbols, but altogether the art, colouring and interiors remain excellent. I do have one small nitpick other than the logos, that being that I'm a little disappointed with the cover... I got sent the regular B variant, and for some reason the coloured version of the art is relegated to the back with the original black-and-white artwork mirrored on the front. Surely burning yellows and oranges would be more likely to catch people's attention on a store shelf? No great shakes — heck, I think I ordered the wraparound from my supplier but the story's the main thing — just some constructive criticism.

In short: keep up the good work, production team, and please keep piling on the revelations.

Character Development

As well as looking suitably samurai and skeletal, Bludgeon reminds a bit of Alpha Trion with his appearance and metaphysical rambling. His plan to restore Cybertron is based on "sympathetic magic" — the notion that symbolic acts affect the empirical universe. Whilst a primitive grasp of cause and effect is common amongst humans, particularly historically, the effect is strikingly uncanny in an alien race made of what we consider technology.

Still on the subject of Bludgeon, his disrepair is a lot more evident this issue. This could reflect the singlemindedness of his efforts to revive Cybertron using Thunderwing, or that he's symbolically sacrificing non-vital parts of his armour to contribute to the process. Either or both, it all emphasises how driven and insane the character is.

Prime looks a touch disappointed at Dogfight's eagerness to head into a probable battle situation. He's very much "first amongst equals" with his command staff — he's regarded with awe and reverence by Searchlight and others, but Springer talks back to him and generally seems much more seasoned than we've seen in previous continuities. The leader of the Wreckers is also able to joke about phases of Decepticon occupation whilst laying siege to a heavily fortified bunker.

The rest of the Autobot special ops team are similarly stoic in the face of fire. Their numbers include Scoop, whilst familiar faces Roadbuster and Topspin are using hefty external weapons systems rather than their integrated weapons.

Megatron is grim and practical. He suggests nuking the planet as a precaution, warning when Prime threatens to stop him that he won't be held responsible for the outcome otherwise.

Afterburner and Nosecone seem quite inexperienced and begin to crack under the combined pressure of their shuttle exploding, the toxic smog on the planet's surface and patrols of Centurion drones.

Not much to say about the Decepticon infiltration team on Nebulos yet, except that they seem to recognise Thunderwing — or at very least that they're witnessing a huge threat.

Other gubbins here... (http://tfarchive.com/comics/idw/stormbringer2a.php)

inflatable dalek
2006-08-23, 03:45 PM
Great review Denyer, but I'd disgree with this:

"Primacron" appears to be a common invocation, two characters using it in this issue. Given that Jetfire is one of those it seems likely Primacron is an historical figure, apocryphal or otherwise, rather than a prophet or entity considered mystical in origin.

Jetfire may be a rational scientist type, but even those aren't unkown to say things like "Jesus ****ing Christ!" at time of stress.

Halfshell
2006-08-23, 04:53 PM
Aye, scientist and religious nut aren't necessarily mutually exclusive. One of my school science teachers was also captain of the Godbotherers Brigade.

The only time it presented a problem was in his refusal to teach evolution. Which would have been alright if he was in charge of physics or chemistry or something... sadly his module was biology.

Where was I?

Denyer
2006-08-23, 07:13 PM
One of the people who dropped off our course was a Physics subject specialist who didn't believe in evolution, looked half of the house in the eye and told them that they were going to hell, and loved dinosaurs.
Jetfire may be a rational scientist type, but even those aren't unkown to say things like "Jesus ****ing Christ!" at time of stress. True. Though JC is an historical figure to some extent, and people pick up invective through social mimicry -- "oh god" is as much shorthand for "if there were a god, I'd be petitioning it right about now" as literal plea, for many... like "smeg" usually isn't a literal reference to knob cheese, etc.

"More likely" rather than "likely"? Having fun trying to piece things together in this continuity, anyway. :)

inflatable dalek
2006-08-24, 04:12 PM
I ws thinking, are there actually many names with no religious connections that are used as expletives? Gordon Bennet is about the only one I can think of ("What the Dickens" doesn't count as that actually predates Charlie boy).

I still think it's mostly just a little joke on Simon's part...

Denyer
2006-08-24, 07:59 PM
It's not that it doesn't have any connection, rather that the person speaking doesn't validate it (indeed, is probably actively opposed...)

Since Furman tends to poach from dualism these days rather than the "pantheon" he started off with in Marvel UK, the idea that Primacron's a placeholder for JC (some historical background, has entered the lexicon as an exclamation, etc) seems reasonable.

LKW
2006-08-24, 09:57 PM
I ws thinking, are there actually many names with no religious connections that are used as expletives?

Well, supposedly there's "Great Caesar's Ghost!" but I'm not sure I've heard of anyone other than Perry White using it.

Though the expression did inspire Optimus Prime's exclamation of "Great Alpha Trion's Ghost!" in my story "Battle of the Bands", currently available in the Creative forum... [/end blatant shameless plug]

Also, judging by the outtakes, "Summer!' - as in the lovely and talented Summer Glau, of course - became a popular curse among the cast of Serenity/Firefly...

inflatable dalek
2006-08-25, 01:40 PM
Some might argue that several of the femal cast mof Firefly have a claim to devinity...

And Perry only says Great Ceaser's Ghost because the comics code won't let him say "Holy mother ****ing ****ing bitching whoreing hell in a handbag full of bastard ****!"

LKW
2006-08-25, 08:20 PM
Very good points :) I got nothin', then.

Unless James Kirk yelling "Khaaannnn!!" counts...

CounterPunch
2006-08-26, 10:57 AM
Gotta say, wow, just read issue 2 and so far Simon is crafting the best transformers comic since his Marvel stuff, still confused as hell as to whats going on though.

Any guesses what Thunderwing is? or if its known and I just overlooked it in the first 2 issues can I be told?

Denyer
2006-08-26, 11:21 AM
A zombie entombed in a walking casket. With guns.

Would be grateful if people who've got the issue (or #1) could chip in here:

http://tfarchive.com/community/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36369

Denyer
2006-09-06, 06:56 PM
Thread for #1-2: http://tfarchive.com/community/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36124

Issue #3 is due out on 6th September

If you want to read 'em...

Interview: http://comicnewsi.com/article.php?catid=208&itemid=8746
5 pages of #3: http://idwpublishing.com/tfstorm3.shtml

...if not, the basic premise of this four-issue miniseries is to delve into what's happening with the TFs in the rest of the galaxy (especially around Cybertron) and go into a bit of its recent (for robots with long lifespans) past. It's a side-story to Infiltration, which forms part of IDW's core continuity.

Spoiler tagging works like this: {spoiler}your text here{/spoiler} except with [ ] brackets rather than { }

Like this.

Neuronutter
2006-09-07, 06:14 PM
I picked up Stormbringer #3 and I’m really glad I can say it’s good. Damn good! So far Stormbringer is 3 for 3. And now for my review. There’s a lot of Spoilers so beware!

This issue has a lot to like about it. Firstly we get to see the mighty Thunderwing in all his glory, tearing into first the Nebulans, and then the Decepticon team and having no problems dealing with either. Its great that we get to see Thunderwing in action and that all the mythos surrounding him and the destruction he reigned on Cybertron the first time around has not been overstated. The artwork is spot on as usual with Don. Whereas the other IDW publications are a bit hit and miss at times, Don’s art is never short of stunning. His drawings are so crisp and clear and he seems to take pride in making sure that everything is perfect and that nothing is left or forgotten, unlike some of the other TF artists.

Another thing Don is extremely good at is cramming a lot into a small space and making it all feel in perspective. There is a scene with a large number of Autobots punching through a ceiling onto an unsuspecting Finback and the perspective is so well done that nothing feels squashed. Yet another aspect of the comic that Don does fantastically well is the redesigns of the Pretenders. The first time we see Bludgeons shell is pretty scary, with the shell looking like something out of a horror flick and then when we finally see Bludgeon in his shell he looks glorious! The redesign incorporates his old shell with a revamp and a really nice restyle!

As for the story, well it proceeds at a rapid pace with Furman cramming a lot into this issue and reaching a good cliff hanger for the next issue. The portrayal of Springer and the Wreckers is excellent as is the way Prime is a frontline leader and Springer’s attempt to convince him to stay behind is shrugged off. The only factor I don’t especially like is the way that Bludgeon is dealt with. His demise feels a shame, a victim of his own short-sightedness and lust for power. I wish he would’ve been in it for longer and that we got to see more of the Pretenders and their redesigns. The way Furman rethought the Pretender concept is very nice and seems to be a much better idea than the previous.

The only aspect of the story I’m unsure of is some of the dialogue. As in the last issue Springer has some of the best lines along with the other Wreckers, but his line “Wreckers-lets go count heads!” is lost on me. Does he mean “bust heads”? His other line of “save the IDs for the body bags” seems to fit well with the Wreckers mentality and the way they rapidly deal with Bludgeons cronies is also fitting.

All in all, this is another excellent issue and the Stormbinger mini-series may turn out to be one of the best transformer tales in many a year. . Credit to IDW for this excellent series and I hope we see some more tales of this calibre.

Commander Shockwav
2006-09-08, 01:18 AM
Solid, solid issue through and through.

Sometimes, that third issue in a four-issue limited series doesn't add much to the story. That was not the case here. Revelations are made, and the story progresses quite nicely.

And how kickass was Bludgeon in this one? Didn't see his role as primaryantagonist in this series coming, but its working great having Thunderwing as Bludgeon's weapon. Something tells me though that its Thunderwings time to shine in the coming final issue.

Simon is doing a great job with the pacing here. He has also steered clear of being overly mystical, and I really appreciate that. I have to tip my hat to him again for achieving something I never thought possible--namely, giving the Pretender technology practical significance in a very cool way. With Cybertron's caustic enviroment, the Pretender technology finally makes sense. Well done, Simon.

Don and Josh's work is, again, of the highest quality we could hope to find in a TF comic book. Who would have thought that the greatest penciller in TF comic books would also be one of our greatest inkers? Don just keeps getting better and better, which is almost scary when you think about how good he already is. When you get those offers from Marvel or DC, Don, remember who loves you most, okay?

And ThunderCharger...that umbrella....good stuff

Another solid "A" comic. To produce three outstanding issues in a row is hard to come by in any comic series these days, but IDW has done just that.

dude851884
2006-09-08, 10:03 AM
:\ Eurg, I miss dreamwave. :(

Denyer
2006-09-08, 10:08 AM
Not enough holes in your head already?

Neuronutter
2006-09-08, 01:06 PM
Sometimes I miss DW too. I miss their G1, I thought it was great and wanted to see the continuation of that story.

Then I wake up and think that IDW is vastly superior and I'm glad we're in safer hands than DW. Even though I prefer DW's G1 to IDWs, I much prefer the professional attitude of IDW. They lack Pat Lee's cavalier attitude. Oh and Stormbringer rocks so I'm glad for IDW.

Oh on the subject of IDW did anyone ever see the Infiltration Covers gallery that was supposed to be released a little while ago? I looked for it in my local FPI, and on Amazon but I haven't seen it anywhere. Did it appear and I just missed it or has it never been seen?

Denyer
2006-09-08, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Neuronutter
Did it appear and I just missed it or has it never been seen? I got a copy from OneShallStand -- very thick glossy paper, it's nicely put together. Can't imagine that many retailers ordered a ton of copies since it's quite a niche product.

inflatable dalek
2006-09-10, 07:21 PM
Lovely stuff, gorgous art and the best writing Furmans done in a long time.

One potential plot hole though- In Infitration Ironhide sending the message Prime recives in issue one of Stormbringer and Megatron talking to Razorclaw that closes this issue can't happen more than a few hours apart. It's not impossible for the events of Stormbringer to happen in that short a time, but it does mean that everyone is tearing up the spaceways rushing from planet to planet. It's also going to make for a very busy day for Optimus Prime is Escalation picks up right from the end of Infiltration 6...

Lambda prime
2006-09-11, 06:04 AM
Wasn't there a third centurion towering over the technobots in issue 2?

Cliffjumper
2006-09-14, 12:39 PM
Marvellous stuff! though someone tell this guy masquerading at Furman to crank back the quality or the game will be up.

I mean, Christ, stuff happens! Brilliant.

Commander Shockwav
2006-09-14, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Cliffjumper
Marvellous stuff! though someone tell this guy masquerading at Furman to crank back the quality or the game will be up.

I mean, Christ, stuff happens! Brilliant.

I believe that may be the first time I've seen you enjoy a TF comic of late.

If the harshest critic around likes it, it's got to be good. ;)

Cliffjumper
2006-09-14, 03:01 PM
While I'm a bit afraid of giving the thing the kiss of death, it's the best thing this side of G2 so far... I like the way there's new stuff being done with some minor characters - the Technobots, for example, haven't stepped straight from the tech specs, Furman is letting the script do the character work, rather than our memories of older stuff. And the same time, though, it's a bit old fashioned in places. It's also so much better than Infiltration it actually hurts - plot details are in the comics, rather than inferred from interviews, no lead characters are massive cocks - it says something that a comic set on a post-apocalyptic Cybertron is more realistic than one set on present day Earth. Simon knows everything about Transformers - he knows nothing about anyone under thirty this side of 1986.

This is the first time he's actually, properly tried something genuinely new since G2, and he's got it right - the desolation of Cybertron, a half-way threatening Thunderwing, intriguing flashbacks, the Wreckers finally, after 20 years, getting to do something. There was some very bad dialogue early on in #1, but aside from that it's been near-faultless. Figueroa's generally kept his distracting excesses to one side, too.

As a qualifier, though, we do still have a conclusion to go - though Furman can roll a lot of it on to Escalation or further, Thunderwing probably just needs to be put in a holding pattern, and not a lot else needs to be resolved.

inflatable dalek
2006-09-15, 01:24 PM
You really were serious about the being nice thing weren't you?

SHOCKERS
2006-09-16, 09:44 PM
Stormbringer is the first IDW story that i've collected consistantly,i gather i didn't miss much with 'Infiltration'.

Don's definitely up to the job,i love his depiction of the Wreckers,Whirl,especially. And on that note i'm glad there's a story involving the Wreckers where the guys are used purposefully.

I always thought that Furman could have done more with Thunderwing back in the Marvel days and the whole silent,destructive image is an interesting path to take.

I think my favorite part is when it's revealed that Bludgeon is trapped in a madness of his own making,it's a nice climax to the unbalanced undertones surrounding him from issue 1.

Extra highlights include the use of minor characters such as the Technobots. Also i'm quite intrigued to see what Razorclaw's alternate mode is like.

I just hope Furman doesn't sabotage all the good work in the final installment.

LKW
2006-09-17, 08:19 PM
Another very good issue by the IDWians!

I won't get too much into the issue right now, but a couple of thoughts:

It was a nice surprise that Razorclaw is on Earth right now. Likely all the Predacons are, then? And probably will factor into Escalation...

And the issue nicely leaves us with only one thing to deal with in the conclusion, tying up the other plot threads pretty nicely.

I think this should end very well. Nice work!

MeGrimlock
2006-09-18, 10:16 AM
I don't have the issue at hand, right now, but I think that the panel that states "Earth" doesn't show Razorclaw on Erarth; I think it just shows a communication screen on Earth displaying Razorclaw's image.
Razorclaw could be anywhere, out in the space, broadcasting to Earth after receiving Darkwing's report.
Could it be that way?

DCJosh
2006-09-18, 08:00 PM
someone theorized that maybe the predacons are in orbit [which enabled Megatron to do his orbital jumps all over the planet]

id be more inclined to lean towards that [although i dont know for sure what the reason is]

Denyer
2006-10-04, 12:46 AM
Wonder when #4 is out? Curious to see how the running plot will resolve, Prime will decide it's acceptable to go gallivanting off to Earth, etc.

inflatable dalek
2006-10-05, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Denyer
Wonder when #4 is out? Curious to see how the running plot will resolve, Prime will decide it's acceptable to go gallivanting off to Earth, etc.

No doubt he'll find out Megs is on Earth from a predacon, remember Ironhides message thingey and decide the planet needs closer investigation.

Denyer
2006-10-16, 06:33 AM
Issue #4 is due out on 18th October

Preview here: http://tfarchive.com/comics/idw/previews.php?dgallery=browse&page=stormbringer

Like this.

Commander Shockwav
2006-10-18, 11:46 PM
Those who liked this issue should never complain about the Sunstorm Saga again.

I hate to say it, but though it was a decent comic, the ending fell flat for me, as I found it anticlimatic. Granted, with three excellent issues, it's harder to deliver. But it could have ended stronger.

There are several sources of my disappointment. Storywise, I would have hoped for a more clever ending than what we get. What do we get? We get an ending that doesn't quite make a lot of sense.

For example, Thunderwing withstood the entire Autobot and Decepticon forces in the past, including the likes of Prime, Megatron, Omega Supreme, Trypticon, etc. and still could not be stopped. But this time around, Thunderwing falls to the combined might of the Wreckars, some Decepticons, some Centurions, and Prime with a gun at really, really, really close range. Didn't see that one coming.

(Note to self. If I ever face an uberpowerful planet destorying menace, just stand really, really, really close when firing my gun.)

And Cybertron suddenly loses its unstable, caustic enviroment in this issue because every bot and their grandmother arrives on the planet to have a nice long slugfest.

Sigh. It's not as bad as I'm making it out to be, it just doesn't stack up to the first three issues by any stretch. The ending, as in the first two War Within series, doesn't end with the bang it really should.

I even found the art weaker in this issue. The coloring was overly dark, and some of the panels were overly cluttered.

I give this issue a "C+". The series gets a "B+", exciting stuff but not quite up to par with the Sunstorm Saga, IMO. So much is at stake with that concluding issue.

But Simon, I do apologize for the "washed up" comment anyway. You have shown me, despite this issue, that you can still tell a story.

inflatable dalek
2006-10-20, 07:16 PM
Well, I liked Sunstorm as well...

It was a good issue, but as said a slight letdown after the first few. Did anyone else find it ironic that IDW Razorclaw was more like Marvel Bludgeon with all his talk on honour and all that jazz?

Still, the fact that all the IDWverse comics to date seem to be tying together really well is a good thing.

LKW
2006-10-21, 10:57 PM
I liked it. Ultimately not the best comic in a pile which included PAD's X-Factor and Fallen Angel, Larry Hama's G.I. Joe Declassified, and Joss' Astonishing X-Men #17 - stiff competition - but still a good, satisfying read, I felt. Some good characterization for some of the Predacons - for most all characters involved, really - filling in of the blanks on Thunderwing, and yes, continued cohesiveness of the IDW universe.

Potatobot
2006-10-22, 04:57 AM
For example, Thunderwing withstood the entire Autobot and Decepticon forces in the past, including the likes of Prime, Megatron, Omega Supreme, Trypticon, etc. and still could not be stopped. But this time around, Thunderwing falls to the combined might of the Wreckars, some Decepticons, some Centurions, and Prime with a gun at really, really, really close range. Didn't see that one coming.

the way i look at it is like this
the first time around thunderwings powersource was stable so he was unbeatable
this time around due to the use of ultra energon to power him up he recieved a flaw.
when skyfire stated the centurions were hurting him i do not think he meant any physical damage but was refering to the fact that they were causing him to use up his new unstable power source.
a power source mind you that he had already used quite a fair amount of on his trip to nebulon.

similar to how starscream expended his ultra energon hit when fighting megatron on earth in infiltration

Commander Shockwav
2006-10-22, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Potatobot
the way i look at it is like this
the first time around thunderwings powersource was stable so he was unbeatable
this time around due to the use of ultra energon to power him up he recieved a flaw.
when skyfire stated the centurions were hurting him i do not think he meant any physical damage but was refering to the fact that they were causing him to use up his new unstable power source.
a power source mind you that he had already used quite a fair amount of on his trip to nebulon.

similar to how starscream expended his ultra energon hit when fighting megatron on earth in infiltration

Yeah, I understand it.

I just think it's an anticlimatic way to finish a story with loads of potential.

Good fortune for all by running out of gas?

I was hoping for a more kickass ending. More specifically, an ending where Cybertron actually WAS destroyed. Now that would have made my day.

Plus, it would have fallen more in line with what I was hoping Simon was doing. Simon is trying to remove elements of the old Transformers, and really give this continuity a new spin.

Notice how popular characters like Starscream, Shockwave, the Dinobots, and Bludgeon have all been removed from the picture? I like this. I thought it bold of Simon to really be shaking things up. I thought we were going to see Cybertron done away with as well. Alas, for me, twas not to be.

Sociopathic Autobot
2006-10-22, 04:55 PM

He didn't run out of gas at a timely moment. They forced all the gas out of him. The plan was a simple one. I don't think it takes away from the ending because it wasn't just some lucky "Oh well, he ran out of gas." It was "Alright guys. If we shoot him a lot he uses more power in his replies, so make him reply a lot and he'll just burn out."

And Cybertron suddenly loses its unstable, caustic enviroment in this issue because every bot and their grandmother arrives on the planet to have a nice long slugfest.

It did? I think you should re-read. All of the airborne wreckers were complaining about not being able to cope with the atmosphere because Thunderwing had control of it, and considering what he was, that made a fair bit of sense.

Cunning Ravage
2006-10-22, 05:31 PM

Notice how popular characters like Starscream, Shockwave, the Dinobots, and Bnludgeon have all been removed from the picture?

Well Starscream might not be dead, Shockwave is being dug up, and the Dinobots are only in stasis lock which if it's like it was in Beast Wars then that would mean they can be revived.

optimusskids
2006-10-22, 05:41 PM
They had to squeeze an action packed plot into four issues opposed to dragging out a minimal plot a la Infiltration.

It should be interesting seeing some more of the less known characters stepping to the fore we've already had cameos of Dogfight Searchlight and Scoop so it will be interesting to see who else gets there chance

The ramifications of the Nightbeat spotlight might even reintroduce some micromasters to the plot.

Commander Shockwav
2006-10-23, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by Cunning Ravage
Well Starscream might not be dead, Shockwave is being dug up, and the Dinobots are only in stasis lock which if it's like it was in Beast Wars then that would mean they can be revived.

True, but maybe they can at least be put on the backburner while other characters get a chance to shine.

Ballplayer
2006-10-26, 03:23 PM
you might have a point there, but the reason we know this characters so much is also why I'd like to read more about them ;)

As for the story the ending would be better if it would already be hinted at in issue 1 or 2. Because now it almost seems like an afterthought: Simon thinking: "Ow crap how are we gonna stop Thunderwing"

If it would have been invovled in issue 1 or 2 it would be a far better ending...

As for characterization...

Prime thinking about stuff when he's blasting Thunderwing, seems to me a lot like that Marvel comic issue where he's standing on the moon (don't know which one that was) contemplating about stuff whilst Hot Rod's fighting that robot.

I'd like to see some new stuff tried out with Prime...

The Art is great as always long live King Don...

MeGrimlock
2006-10-27, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by Ballplayer
that Marvel comic issue where he's standing on the moon (don't know which one that was) contemplating about stuff whilst Hot Rod's fighting that robot.[/B]

US 60, Yesterday's Heroes!

Nevermore
2006-11-03, 12:28 PM
I'm not exactly one of those Don worshippers, and I usually find Optimus Prime kinda dull, but DAMN, does Stormbringer Prime look awesome. Also, Don manages to give him some really dynamic poses.

The coloring style for Stormbringer would have worked very well in the Shockwave Spotlight issue.

Story - hum. I found Stormbringer kinda uninteresting as compared to Infiltration.

Neuronutter
2006-11-08, 03:20 PM
Finally, the conclusion to the wonderful Stormbringer is here but is it as good as the rest of the series and does it end in a suitably satisfying way? We already know that Op heads to Earth at the end, but are things left open or rounded off? Warning, spoilers contained within!

Right, now to the review. This comic is good. Damn good, but not the best of the series unfortunately and a few little things about this issue niggle but in all it rounds off a wonderful series well and leaves us salivating over the first issue of Escalation.

The art in this issue is great as we’ve come to expect from Don. There are a few little problems such as the whole page devoted to Thunderwing rocking back and forth after an onslaught by Op, which I think is meant to convey a sense of suspense, but sadly doesn’t work and leaves you wondering what the point of the page was. I guess this was a story telling issue though and not an art issue.

Another problem that I had with this issue is that some of the speech boxes look like they were supposed to be bordered with different colours to indicate who is speaking and they have been left off. There’s a flashback page where Megs is talking to Thunderwing before the whole Pretender shell formation and its more difficult than it should be to understand which speech box belongs to which character. It makes following some of the dialogue difficult and I hope it’s something that’s corrected in the TPB. It’s a shame really because that particular page is very nice and helps set the back story to the whole series.

Apart from these little quirks the art of the issue is well done and fits with the overall feel of the whole series. The darkness of the colours and shading, the TFs in cybertronian forms and the darkness of the story all lend the series a unique and fitting feel and provide a nice contrast to the Infiltration ongoing story.

The story in this issue moves along at a fair pace and is satisfactorily concluded on the whole. Some of the characterisation is very nice especially that of Razorclaw, the leader of the Predacons, who gets some very nice lines, and Divebomb’s coming to the rescue of the Wreckers is well handled and funny. Thunderwing also gets some nice characterisation with a flashback shot showing Megatron shutting his experiments down. This gives us a glimpse into the torment that Thunderwing has suffered and the reason why he’s so pissed off!

The only part that bugged me was the rant that Prime gives as he lays into Thunderwing. It comes across as forced and a little lame as well as being pointless. Thunderwing is an empty shell and so there’s little point Prime telling him anything at all. He’s trying to rationalise the whole thing to himself, so it would’ve worked better as an internal monologue. There’s also a line about healing that’s just way too over the top for a leader like Prime.

Some other reviews and posts I’ve read have complained that the downfall of Thunderwing is poor because in the end all it takes is an onslaught from Prime. I don’t really see this as a problem though because of the way that Thunderwing’s power supply is rationalised and the fact that he’s already dealt with a huge number of adversaries, so by the time he faces Prime he’s already pretty battered and bruised. It’s a fitting ending for an enemy like Thunderwing.

The conclusion of the story is very satisfying and ties in very well with the ongoing and the one-shots. There’s a nice tie-in with Shockwave’s story which should come together nicely in Escalation. The way that IDW’s stories all tie in together to create a universe and give you a bigger picture of the whole story create a very satisfactory telling of the Transformers saga. I’d give this issue an B+ and the whole Stormbringer saga an A+ and if there was a higher rating I’d give it that. Thoroughly recommended and an all round brilliant series! Thank you IDW!