PDA

View Full Version : Avatar pixel sizes?

Clay
2006-09-20, 05:48 PM
Currently, they're set at 75 x 75, but could they be made slightly larger?

I ask because Photobucket.com can resize images for use as avatars at 100 x 75, which is just a hair bigger than what we've got now. It wouldn't mess up the board's dimensions either since the picture would only be a bit taller.

It may even persuade me to retire my meat shield avatar that I've used since about `03 :p. That's how cool auto-avatars would be.

Denyer
2006-09-20, 06:02 PM
This version of vB only handles square dimension restrictions, which is why all of the 88x66 ones are in the pre-existing galleries so that they're about the same "visual" size as the 75x75 custom ones. Might be hackable.

100 x 75 [...] the picture would only be a bit tallerWouldn't be any taller, since dimensions are X by Y...

Photobucket.com can resize images for use as avatars at 100 x 75Kinda irrelevant because people aren't allowed to remote-link images; it makes it too easy to specify an image, then change the image at the link to something much larger (filesize or dimensions) or animated / dynamically generated.

If we had a much wider board, I'd suggest 100x100 avatars.

If you need to crop/resize images, www.xnview.com

Clay
2006-09-20, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by Denyer
Kinda irrelevant because people aren't allowed to remote-link images; it makes it too easy to specify an image, then change the image at the link to something much larger (filesize or dimensions) or animated / dynamically generated.

Well, not necessarily for hosting the images, but just for editing. Since I have Windows ME (which hates USB), I typically wander over to the library to upload photos to the Photobucket account and then download whatever I want permanently to the harddrive once I'm back at the apartment, which is why it'd be so snazzy for me.

Wouldn't be any taller, since dimensions are X by Y...

Er, yeah... I knew that. (damn continuity between math classes and the real world sneaking up on me again...) :p