PDA

View Full Version : Masterpiece MP-5 Megatron prototype? | UPDATE: Megatron will have die cast parts

Nevermore
2006-11-16, 09:05 AM
http://www.actoys.net/bbs/read.php?tid=143612

Knightdramon
2006-11-16, 09:36 AM
Doesn't really look that good, if it's indeed MP Megatron. The legs are way too thin, same goes for the arm...and the fusion cannon is simply put, enormous. Anxiously waiting for more photos.

CounterPunch
2006-11-16, 09:47 AM
Hmmm I agree, the fusion cannon is enormous and the legs, yes too thin... Could they not make legs that fold up? The 4 sides ufold and slide together, to look how it does in that pic. Would that be difficult?

Rhodes
2006-11-16, 11:56 AM
Looks like they used the legs from G1 Megatron toy,they are really very thin. Hope they redimension the canon,way to big.
But its only a prototype.

Voice Of Fate
2006-11-16, 01:15 PM
Besides the cannon, it doesn't look too bad, We have to bare in mind the difficulties that a megatron toy presents... Just from an engineering point of view!How do you turn two sturdy legs into a gun grip(I think that's what it's called in english) that fits nicely into your hand...I thinkit's pretty nifty, but I have to see the gunmode before any other comment

Tetsuro
2006-11-16, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Voice Of Fate
Besides the cannon, it doesn't look too bad. We have to bear in mind the difficulties that a Megatron toy presents... Just from an engineering point of view! How do you turn two sturdy legs into a grip that fits nicely into your hand? I thinkit's pretty nifty, but I have to see the gun mode before any other comment.
Agreed. Okay, his legs are skinny, but you've got to remember that he DOES transform into a gun.

Interesting to note that the trigger is placed inside his legs rather than his...well, you know.

Rhodes
2006-11-16, 02:29 PM
We can consider the legs of Megatron in the G1 cartoons skinny, I think, but could be wrong, just have a ,mental picture.

Tetsuro, You are so right about the trigger!:D

Springer007
2006-11-16, 04:38 PM
i will never look at megs the same way again after hearing about the"trigger".... who thought children's toys were so........ innuendo-ish XD

Hound
2006-11-16, 04:49 PM
My problem is that he looks like after you transform him a couple of times and he's a little looser in the joints he'll never be able to stand up in robot mode. Especially with that cannon! :eek:

Even straight out of the box how's he not going to just tip right over?

Cliffjumper
2006-11-16, 04:58 PM
I don't mind him, actually. He's bit weird, because his legs are from 1981 and the top half of his body is from 2006, but there's a certain amount of clunky charm to him. I rather like the "flat" legs for some odd reason.

As for him standing up, I'd guess they solve that the same way they did with the original - diecast in the legs, which probably wasn't done for the proto, hence those ugly little stands. Same goes for the "looseness" - those won't be final materials, he'll look a lot more substantial when he's not made out of resin...

Rosalie
2006-11-16, 04:59 PM
This is what happens when you ask for a proper "gun" Megatron... I don't think it's fair to complain about it if that's what you're asking - it's very difficult to do it properly.

It's either this or have an incredibly shaky looking alt mode like Mark's Projects Megatron.

the_escaflowne_2k
2006-11-16, 05:07 PM
I cant recall how correct i am in saying this but wasn't there a degree of change between Starscreams original proto legs and the final designs legs? If so i doubt that they'll whats seen here won't change in a few areas (most likely the legs as they seem the weakest point) before the final design -kinda the meaning of prototype i know-... With regards to the weight of the barrel, i suppose it will be lighter than it looks as i'd hazard it'd be quite hollow..

Rosalie
2006-11-16, 05:13 PM
http://www.marksprojects.com/meg7.jpg

[Edited it down to a link as it's big and also his bandwidth.]

lol...

His Bumblebee has a sweet alt mode though... if he actually charges a decent price for it I might consider saving up for it, it's bigger than the classics one too so it looks better next to MP Prime.

Brimstone
2006-11-16, 06:49 PM
Minus the enormous arm cannon, this acutally looks pretty good I think.

Like Cliffy said, though, final diecast metal should be able to stand on it's own (I hope). Of course, they put no metal in MP-03...so who knows what will happen with this one. (and yes, the final MP Starscream had different legs than the prototype).

ColdBain
2006-11-17, 08:36 PM
Agreed, he looks alright, cannon far too big, if they could make the legs thicker then 'yes please', but looking good so far. Let's hope this isn't a final mock up.

numbat
2006-11-18, 01:15 PM
I think he's looking great, and would be quite happy the way he is. I'd imagine that it could well be challenging to thicken the legs, and I'd guess the cannon is to keep scale with the gun mode.

Still the best looking Megatron ever, if there are no changes!

:)

LKW
2006-11-18, 07:25 PM
Well, assuming that this is the same prototype shown in the link here: http://www.tfarchive.com/community/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37325 (I can't read the link in this thread without a 23 minute download of symbol-interpretation software) – I think the fusion cannon is at worst slightly too large, and otherwise looks great. Remember, the original fusion cannon was only two and a half centimeters shorter than Megatron.

And good point about the possibility of metal in the legs, Cliffjumper; not only would that help provide support for what is truly a BFG, maybe it’d also give us the clanking noise I find so endearing in the original Megatron figure.

Denyer
2006-11-18, 07:56 PM
There weren't bigger photos in the original thread at Actoys last I looked.

Nevermore
2006-11-21, 09:08 PM
New pics of Megatron, and also of the e-Hobby cassettes.

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=115773

LKW
2006-11-21, 10:11 PM
Eexxxcellent. The legs do look a little thin but then, that’s not unlike the original Megatron figure, and the angle, set up to show the location of the trigger, is probably not the most flattering view of the leg. In my admittedly biased opinion – this looks great. Thanks for the link!

Springer007
2006-11-21, 10:30 PM
the whole design is growing on me. even if his legs are stick legs. the face sculpt is really really nice too, and that arm cannon has grown on me even more too.

illlit
2006-11-22, 05:02 AM
I think is is DOPE, I mean lets all be foe real, he looks better then the first MEG toy ever looked.....
Ands I like the thin legs, puts me in the mind of a really giant robot from the early 40s sci fi mags
and i think WOW what if he would have looked like that in the movie
AND his CANON
Well it'll shut you up real fast if it was in yo face......The canon it's self speaks for why he's the leader....lol

ColdBain
2006-11-22, 11:43 AM
That is a way better picture of Masterpiece Megatron, he indeed looks awesome. Seeing him next to the Prime really puts things into perspective. The cannon and looks are actually okay, it's kinda grown on me, but looking at the latest picture of Megs, the only complaint I have is with the head of all things. The helmet is pretty good, but the face and it's shape doesn't really look a lot like the cartoon's face. Still, it's still a prototype right? Here's hoping the face is altered with a little more of those Megatron details.
Also, might I add that it would be really really nice if this Masterpiece toy actually had the original colour scheme that was used in the cartoon. Unlike the previous release (yes it's great, but it's still the wrong colour).

Denyer
2006-11-22, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by illlit
I think is is DOPE, I mean lets all be foe real, he looks better then the first MEG toy ever looked..... Not hard, because the original toy was a fragile, gangly POS...

Tetsuro
2006-11-22, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Denyer
Not hard, because the original toy was a fragile, gangly POS...
...and looked like he was going to give birth?

No wait, his thighs were so wide apart because of his massive package. :D

Cliffjumper
2006-11-22, 08:07 PM
Woooo Knobatron jokes, just what the world needs,.....

Tetsuro
2006-11-22, 08:49 PM
[master betty voice] Mmmm, I killed that joke. I killed it deeeeead. [/master betty voice]

Springer007
2006-11-22, 09:19 PM
who ever though transformers had such innuendos XD

Dreadwing
2006-11-24, 04:47 AM
I love the giant cannon! The prototype looks promising. I cant wait for the final version.

What has happened to any of the other MP releases. I have only seen Prime and read about MP- 02 Starscream. Who were the other 2 and when were they all released?

Tetsuro
2006-11-24, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by Dreadwing
I love the giant cannon! The prototype looks promising. I cant wait for the final version.

What has happened to any of the other MP releases. I have only seen Prime and read about MP- 02 Starscream. Who were the other 2 and when were they all released?
Starscream was MP-03.

MP-02 was Ultra Magnus and MP-04 was another Optimus Prime, but with a proper trailer.

Halfshell
2006-11-24, 09:17 AM
Worth noting, before he gets excited, that "Ultra Magnus" was just Convoy redone in white.

Rhodes
2006-11-24, 11:47 AM
Like the G1 toy...not looking to the trailer making the "body" of ultra-magnus

Nevermore
2006-11-24, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Rhodes
Like the G1 toy...not looking to the trailer making the "body" of ultra-magnus

Yes, but the original toy came first. The cartoon established the body armor as the "normal" look and never bothered to show the cab in robot mode by itself at all.

Then Dreamwave established Ultra Magnus as "white brother of Optimus Prime inside body armor".

And then Takara took that as an opportunity to release a white redeco of Masterpiece Convoy as Ultra Magnus without having to provide him with a trailer.

Tetsuro
2006-11-24, 09:00 PM
Yeah, but wasn't the Ultra Magnus repaint actually supposed to represent the special alloy-covered Prime in RoOP?

Cliffjumper
2006-11-24, 11:09 PM
I thought it was meant to represent Ultra Magnus... It says it on the box and everything.

Tetsuro
2006-11-24, 11:43 PM
Yeah, but I read somewhere that that's what it was originally supposed to be. Or something.

ironhed
2006-11-25, 05:49 PM
I don't care about the skinny legs. It's kinda like the G1 Megatron.

Cyclone_X
2006-11-25, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by Tetsuro
...and looked like he was going to give birth?

No wait, his thighs were so wide apart because of his massive package. :D

G1 Megs' legs were wide apart because no-one seems to be able to transform him correctly, the legs should not be so much open, not even for stability (mine never fell over)

Nevermore
2006-11-25, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by Tetsuro
Yeah, but I read somewhere that that's what it was originally supposed to be. Or something.

"I read somewhere or something" sure is a good indicator to prove us who have actual evidence to cite wrong.

Tetsuro
2006-11-25, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by Nevermore
"I read somewhere or something" sure is a good indicator to prove us who have actual evidence to cite wrong.
:sweatdrop

Not like it matters though. Turns out the heat-resistant-metal-covered-Prime-who-looks-like-Ultra-Magnus was WST, not MP. Read it at the transformers wikia. Happy now?

Nevermore
2006-11-28, 07:14 AM
Pics of the gun mode!

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=116239

zigzagger
2006-11-28, 07:21 AM
I'm growing quite fond of this mold the more I see it...and look, how cute, he comes with a little kremzeek! aww!

Tetsuro
2006-11-28, 08:06 AM
Hmmm...there will probably be a silencer and stock for MP-09 Megatron perfect edition... :p

Or we can just wait for the bootleg ones. :D

Knightdramon
2006-11-28, 08:52 AM
Nice gun mode, and the trigger area seems to be spacious enough for me to go on twirling the gun like mad, cowboy style.

While the stock and silencer would be nice accessories, it really doesn't add anything to the toy. The G1 version accessories all combined to form a silly gun platform or something.

Release date is 29/3...although the text remains largely unreadable to people who don't know Japanese, the numbers are pretty much self-explanatory.

Can't wait to get this one...

the_escaflowne_2k
2006-11-28, 10:59 AM
Woo, he comes with a mace, reanactments of the dam fight here we come.

Arcee
2006-11-28, 01:36 PM
And reenactments of the showdown in TF:TM, for that matter, given that he also comes with a lightsaber. *fangirl drool*

Nevermore
2006-11-28, 04:43 PM
Without watermark:
http://www.amiami.com/shop/?vgForm=ProductInfo&sku=GDS-5971&template=review.html

Tetsuro
2006-11-28, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Arcee
And reenactments of the showdown in TF:TM, for that matter, given that he also comes with a lightsaber. *fangirl drool*
But there's no MP Hot Rod for that! :(

ironhed
2006-11-28, 06:01 PM
I hope they make a Masterpiece Hot Rod or Rodimus Prime.

Cyclone_X
2006-11-28, 06:39 PM
http://www.fantofan.jp/
New info include:
- Kremzeek figure included (different mold from the one that comes with Kiss Players Autorooper x Atari)
- Working Trigger action when in Gun mode
- Same size as MP-01 G1 Convoy!!
- LED gimmick in scope
- Die-cast parts
- Memorable accessories include energy mace, laser-cutter and gun from Transformers: The Movie (used by Megatron in the fight with Optimus Prime).
- New transformation designs and concepts, for example moving the trigger part to the legs, improving overall Robot proportion.
- Due to toy gun regulation in the US, Walter P-38 Megatron was never in the plans when the Japan team worked with the US team. MP-05 Megatron is designed and developed solely by the Japan team, solely for the Japan market.

another tf fan
2006-11-28, 07:07 PM
there better be a way for me to get one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ColdBain
2006-11-28, 07:40 PM
I like the arm cannon now, it's grown on me, however it still looks a little big, even in gun mode as a scope. Asside from that, the toy is absolutely ****ing bitching! I can't wait to get it!

numbat
2006-11-28, 07:51 PM
He's looking better all the time!

I love the accessories, and the robot mode is phenomenal given the amazing gun mode!

I just hope it'll be possible to get hold of him without silly alterations in / sent to the UK...

(Will eBay come to the rescue again... ?)

Kremzeek is such a nice touch!

:eek:

Tetsuro
2006-11-28, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by ironhed
I hope they make a Masterpiece Hot Rod or Rodimus Prime.
Mmmm, MP Rodimus Prime... http://bestsmileys.com/drooling/4.gif