PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question

Silent Rage
2007-02-03, 11:18 AM
Wasn't this the site that had scans of comic artwork of all the Transformers characters?, because I swear I used to visit this site allot, back in like 1999/2000.

(I know, kind of a weird question, but these memories just rushed back into my mind all of a sudden.)

Osku
2007-02-03, 12:24 PM
Do you mean Transformers Universe profiles? Still here
http://tfarchive.com/comics/misc/universe/

Site also used to have comic scans before Titan Books started to release reprint collections of Marvel's comic.
http://tfarchive.com/comics/marvel/reprints/

StoneCold Skywarp
2007-02-03, 06:05 PM
Yeah, we used to have scans of all the comics & episodes available to download but towards the end of 2001 (was it then?) we were issued with a Cease & Desist order from Hasbro telling us to remove those materials and any TF-related materials.

It's lucky we're still here in that respect.

Silent Rage
2007-02-16, 09:23 AM
Yes, that's exactly what I mean! Thanks.

Brings back memories of high school; sitting at the computer hub and coming to this site and Kenny's Krib.com. God, I miss those times, sometimes.

By the way, how are you able to have TF stuff on this site if they sent you that letter? Is it that they aren't legally able to tell you to take all of the TF stuff off?

Ozz
2007-02-16, 09:35 AM
They mellowed after the scans and episodes were taken down, IIRC.

Denyer
2007-02-17, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by Silent Rage
By the way, how are you able to have TF stuff on this site if they sent you that letter? Is it that they aren't legally able to tell you to take all of the TF stuff off? Hasbro aren't the ogres they're occasionally made out as in the fandom. (In particular, magnanimity towards fan art and fiction where not-for-profit. And a fair amount of for-beer-money if you look at the number of artists who do sketches of stuff from any fandom at most comics/memorabilia conventions.) Remember when Fox were trying to blast any form of Buffy/Angel fan site off the web?

a) It would've been routine checking of the net before passing the licenses to reissue/reprint more or less everything from the original era to various companies -- most sites have also dropped scans as the Titan trades became available, for instance, with the few still up being obscure rarities. Open trade of Japanese cartoons has lessened since the Star TV dubs recently began becoming available through Metrodome, etc.

b) It was when Brendan was experimenting with a subs system whereby people could chip in a few dollars and get access to a private FTP of old encodings of episodes, which was non-profit in spirit but could be interpreted as profiteering -- and was a situation they reasonably had to act in.