PDA

View Full Version : [Original RPG] Referendum [Everybody vote please!]

Reflector
2007-06-14, 11:02 PM
I'm sure many of you realize that one of the big problems our game has had in recent years is how involved it is - we have a lot of characters with a lot of history, and it's a daunting thing for prospective new players to face. So the staff has been thinking about ways to make things easier for new players to get started.

One option we've been thinking about is a partial reboot. Now don't panic, we're not erasing the game's history. But we were thinking of shifting the story ahead a couple years so that new folks don't have to worry about where we were, just where we are. It'd be around the end of this arc. We'd wrap up the loose ends, close all the threads, and start again a few years down the road.

But before we do any such thing, we thought we'd ask your opinions. Do you think that'll help? Would you folks like to see it? Or would it be too enormous an inconvenience on your characters? Do you think it would make the story more complicated?

Or maybe you have a better idea. We're always looking for those. Would it help if we just kept much more vigilant summary threads? Would it help if we condensed the history into an easily-consumed packaged, like a webcomic or something? Please be creative. This game is here for all of you, so we want to do what makes it easiest for you.

Thanks for the input. Don't forget your "I Voted" sticker on the way out.

slartibartfast
2007-06-14, 11:09 PM
well, I was going the route of everyone doing a summery of their characters. What you were aiming for, what they did, where they were etc.

That way anyone new can look up their characters' past in one easy thread, and hopefully add to it along the way...

Too idealistic ?

edit : *picks up sticker*

zigzagger
2007-06-14, 11:22 PM
My only concern is that the current story gets wrapped up properly. Otherwise, I think it's a good idea. Leaves room for fresh ideas.

Originally posted by slartibartfast
well, I was going the route of everyone doing a summery of their characters. What you were aiming for, what they did, where they were etc.

That way anyone new can look up their characters' past in one easy thread, and hopefully add to it along the way...

This is not such a bad idea, I think - for those who are willing to do it, that is. I'd be up for that.

picks up sticker on the way out.....hmmm not sure if there's any room left on my car for this....ah-ha! I know! I'll stick it to the top of my laptop.

verytired
2007-06-15, 01:00 AM
I'm sticking to y guns that my ideas the best, but I'm not telling. :)

Puts sticker on Baby sons head, chuckles.

Warcry
2007-06-15, 06:42 AM
Originally posted by slartibartfast
In an ideal world that would be awesome, but I don't think we've got many players willing/able to do that. I'm not even sure I could. :\

I like the idea of jumping forward, personally. Lots of reasons, but I'm tripping over myself trying to put 'em into words right now. That's probably the lack of sleep, though. Maybe tomorrow. :)

Warit00
2007-06-15, 02:52 PM
A chance to upgrade your character?
It's maybe a good time for the current player to recruit a new chars ,especially for the remaining Quints side.

redman prime
2007-06-15, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by Warit00

I like this with going forward, maybe come back and some characters have gone to ALT modes... something I was kicking around with VT, whose kind enough to entrust me with Rumble and Frenzy.

I think that would work, going forward, wounds healed, at least the ones that you can see.

optimusskids
2007-06-15, 09:27 PM
once the current thread arc wraps won't we naturally have achieved a sort of restart with everyone restarting on Cybertron

Maybe a changae forward of a couple of months would be all it needed.

Warcry
2007-06-16, 04:13 AM
Originally posted by Warit00
It's maybe a good time for the current player to recruit a new chars ,especially for the remaining Quints side.
Both good reasons. :)

Upgrades aren't necessarily physical, either...if you'd like to see one of your characters promoted or transferred into a different field of work, a time gap of a few years would let you do that without too much trouble (although naturally you'd want to talk to a mod about it first if it's a major change...we can't have six Decepticon ground forces commanders or anything like that).

A big leap also gives us a chance to set up a fresh, exciting scenario to play around in. That's not to say that what we have planned for the post-retake world wouldn't be fun, but a lot of it you guys could probably figure out just by sitting down and asking yourself "What would I do after the battle is over?", because a lot of it logically just has to happen. A time gap would let us toss in a few more surprising curves or even shake up the status quo without totally ruining your suspension of disbelief.

Besides, if Cybertron doesn't get a break from this kind of abuse there won't be anything left to fight over but rubble. ;)

Warcry
2007-06-23, 05:22 AM
Thanks for the input, guys. And thanks to everyone who voted. :)

We've decided to go ahead and jump into the future a little bit. I won't tell you just how much, you're just going to have to wait and see. ;)

To go along with the new timeframe, we've decided to start a new roll call thread (http://tfarchive.com/community/showthread.php?s=&threadid=39359). Please go there and post your character rosters.

Don't worry about anyone stealing your characters...we'll give you a couple weeks, at least, before that starts happening. But it'll make our jobs just a bit easier, and you all want to do that, don't you? :)