PDA

View Full Version : Megatron: Origin #1-4/TPB

Zisteau
2007-06-21, 02:59 AM
Didn't see a thread for this, Denyer usually has one up ahead of time.

Anyway, the first issue came up today. Overall I enjoyed it quite a bit. Getting a glimpse of Sentinel Prime was cool, and the gritty miner background Megatron has was well done. I thought the whole working class blue collar man wronged by the system angle was pretty weak, but overall I enjoyed the issue quite a bit. Its nice to see an Ancient Cybertron storyline that looks nothing like War Within, which didn't really seem like a story taking place millions of years ago for some reason. The art direction here lends itself to the feeling of age, the designs of the robots are more...primitive I guess, much more simple the hyper articulated War Within stuff. Some of them look downright Gundam, with the senators having that ancient soldier Alpha Trion look. Nice start. Can't wait for the inevitable Sentinel Prime/Metatron throwdown.

Commander Shockwav
2007-06-21, 03:43 PM
Read it.

I enjoyed this issue, but I'm somewhat frustrated that the full potential of this tale may not be reached because of the very cramped Pat Lee-like pencilling of Milne.

Storywise, I'm really digging the "Megatron as victim of corrupt Autobot politicians" angle. The idea that Megatron might not have become what he is today if it weren't for the Autobots is very intriguing, and its nice to see Holmes going this route. I'm really excited about seeing how this all plays out in the next three issues. This is something that's going to be memorable. Nice to see that Megatron hooked up early with Rumble and Frenzy, who maintain their classic brattish characterization.

But the pencilling.....Unfortunately, this particular issue will also be memorable for being completely indecipherable from an artistic standpoint regarding the action sequences. Seriously, I could not make heads or tales of the battle sequences. What was an arm could have been a leg, what was a leg could have been a shoulder. It was that unclear. And just to make things a bit more unclear, every one of the miners had to look just like Megatron! Why???

But the pencilling wasn't all bad. Giving credit where credit is due, the layouts of the planet and the backgrounds and locations were beautifully rendered. Cybertron itself looks fantastic.

The dark inking and grainy coloring style fits perfectly, and I'm pleased to see this coloring scheme was chosen.

So overall, where this could have been an easy "A" for me, I have to deduct points for the disappointing lack of clarity regarding the action sequences. A "B+". Looking forward to more.

Denyer
2007-06-21, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by Zisteau
Denyer usually has one up ahead of time. Denyer's drowning a bit under paper, and it hadn't really registered as it still isn't on the IDW site despite being listed by Diamond...

every one of the miners had to look just like Megatron!
Wouldn't that make sense if they're generics?

Hope I can either find scans or Steve's delivery comes in before the end of the week. After that I'll be leaving you lot to things for a couple of months -- dalek and zigzagger are in charge, should be fine.

Commander Shockwav
2007-06-21, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Denyer
Wouldn't that make sense if they're generics?

Might make sense, except they weren't all generics. There were some Megatrons, some Rumbles, some nobody's, etc.

Milne could have made them a little bit more distinct, even if they were generics, so we could accurately identify Megs out of the crowd.

Denyer
2007-06-21, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by Commander Shockwav
Might make sense, except they weren't all generics. There were some Megatrons, some Rumbles, some nobody's, etc.
By generics I wasn't thinking everything had to be the same model, but if miners are brought off the assembly line in large batches and kept in service until retired, the odds are that each bodyshell design might be reused hundreds or thousands of times.

Individuality isn't a high priority, and I guess this may have been included in the script rather than made as an artist decision -- the whole point is that Megatron is just one of many like him.

(Disc: haven't seen it yet, obviously.)

Zisteau
2007-06-21, 11:09 PM
Oh, forgot to mention that Rumble and Frenzy show up in the prison scene, with no sign of Soundwave. I had always assumed they were created with or by him. This also means, at least in IDW continuity, that they're quite a bit older than they seem. They're not named in the issue, but I'd be really surprised if it wasn't them after the blatant arm piston action.

inflatable dalek
2007-06-23, 11:59 AM
It's good to see that Prowl has always been the frustrated second in command. I also really liked the portrayal of the Autobots as a kind of police force (very DW Armada) rather than a nation state.

Were there any "proper" Decepticons in the crowd scenes other than Megs and the cassetes? Generally I thought the art we better than many on here, if not up to Milne's Energon work. I could always follow what was going on at least (though it is now impossible to see that panel without thinking of Kareoke. Who do we have to thank for that mental image?).

Sir Auros
2007-06-23, 10:40 PM
Picked it up today at a comic shop on the way home. I liked it a lot overall, and I'm excited about where this story will go.

I also thought the tragic villain angle was weaksauce, but they still have room to give us more reasons why Megatron became what he was other than being laid off. I like the art except during combat. This was the first bit of IDW stuff that felt like DW material because of the confusion during the battle sequences.

Liked that Sentinal Prime was kind of an ass, but also not really in touch with the corrupt Autobot politicians. Gives him a little bit of sympathy, but you also feel like, "Yeah, Prime's so much better than you."

Denyer
2007-06-23, 11:34 PM
Read. Enjoyed. Story-wise it could've been done in fewer pages (partly because there weren't any surprises for anyone who'd skimmed the couple of lines of solicitation, partly because I'm familiar with the equivalent period of UK history) but the visuals add interest, and it all adds up to give the impression of a suitably expansive and populated TF civilisation.

Looking at the Movie adaptation covers, Milne suits robots better than humans, doesn't he?

Commander Shockwav
2007-06-25, 02:39 AM
Well, if you visit the Allspark and Tfans.net, I don't think I've seen such a negative response to the art since Rob Ruffolo on Micromasters.

The pencilling really, really detracted from the story. And that's tough to do, if the story is good, which I think this one is.

Denyer
2007-06-25, 02:54 AM
Um, Tfans is at www.tfans.com, Transfans is www.transfans.net, and www.tfans.net doesn't exist... which one you thinking of?

Didn't find it hard to follow, and you know how much I hated Micromasters (which had ludicrously distorted heads/limbs.) Here the grimy and pitted surfaces fit the story, nobody's hugely out of scale, etc.

Sir Auros
2007-06-25, 03:01 AM
It only distracted for me in that I did note while reading that I actually had to take time to figure out what was going on in a panel. It wasn't major, and hopefully won't become habitual as it was with DW.

I really felt the weakest part was the whole tragic villain cliché. That's been done to death recently in popular media, and I'm really expecting more to happen than Megatron turning into an evil megalomaniac just because he flew into a rage and killed someone.

I still have to say, I thought it was ****ing awesome, regardless.

Denyer
2007-06-25, 03:05 AM
Originally posted by Sir Auros
I'm really expecting more to happen than Megatron turning into an evil megalomaniac just because he flew into a rage and killed someone.
I'm hoping we'll see a fair span of time -- discovering that at rock bottom the only mech he can depend on is himself, building support, terrorist strikes.

And what the rest of pre-war Cybertron is like. It'd be a shame to move away from the history without a look at what things are like for the "haves" as well as the "have nots".

inflatable dalek
2007-06-26, 05:48 PM
I did think it was a bit odd that for a comic called Megatron: Origin we got more of an idea about Sentinal Prime and early-Prowl's character than than the stars. We could have done with maybee a bit of development of YoungMegs before the change (though there's still time yet).

I also found it odd that- on the run and desperate to go into hiding- Megatron takes the shuttle down to the same city as the main security/Autobot headquarters. Which is like Bin Ladden holding up in a cave down the road from the Pentagon.

Denyer
2007-06-26, 06:29 PM
The Autobot base seems to have been built to police a specific hotspot... presumably it's a good place to go unapprehended.

I'm not going to get this finished, but these are the notes I started, might be of some use to a review...

There's something perverse and faintly hilarious about a race of robots facing the industrial development of automation -- why wouldn't this have been the case from the beginning of the mines? If technology exists for ...

Because this is printed on matte stock, clarity would have benefited from increasing the gamma factor of the source images. Indeed the production values, for $3.99, drop the ball. IDW primarily use two publishers... the one for which there's a longer lead time does glossy thick stock, but Megatron #1 evidently was rather a rush job with another printer who can do quick turnaround. The result is matte, which suits the dark palette badly, and the paper feels disappointingly flimsy next to other IDW comics. There are also dialogue errors scattered through the issue: redatriation, agian, sentinal prime.

---

Senator Decimus shares some design elements with Alpha Trion from the 1980s cartoon, who in turn shares some design elements with Vector Prime from the recent Cybertron series. He comes across as doddery and patronising, most sentences ending with "hmm?", and considers the miners degenerates.

The Autobot security guards seem to take some design cues from Victory Leo, Deszaras and other Japanese characters, with 'wings' splayed across chestplates and horns protruding from the side of heads. They aren't developed as individual characters, but the mono-optics and fixed faceplates suggest a businesslike or military approach to duty; the situation at the mining outpost doesn't phase them. As mentioned above, the Autobot logo seems exclusive to the security force rather than a general designation for all characters.

Megatron is difficult to get a handle on; the main speech of the miners goes to a redshirt who is summarily cut down and whose deactivation sparks off the riot. Megatron's first reactions are to immediate circumstances; simple and rather self-satisfied impulse to lob an axe at the senator, fear at being challenged by a guard. He's devious later, though, realising that crippling the senator's vessel means that rescue will be more of a priority for the Autobots than hunting the miners.

Rumble and Frenzy (not named) retain their familiar piledriver arm configurations and insubordinate natures. They restart the rebellion aboard the Longshot shuttle, giving others a distraction and opportunity to free themselves.

Prowl ...

Sentinel Prime has a retractable faceplate and a somewhat bolshy attitude towards his co-workers, despite the fact all he's doing is standing around testing weapons or doing target practice. He hints at something "down here" which on current evidence could be anything from activists based subterraneanly to the Cybertronian equivalent of big rats.

---

Timing is indeterminate; "Long ago. Peacetime."

The mining outpost refines energon from crystals to a liquid or solution form, then into energon cubes.

The captured miners are wearing shackles and inhibitor claws (not named in the narrative, but they're familiar devices in previous Transformers comics that lower resistance and prevent full transformation.)

Along with Kremzeek designs (a cartoon reference) there are 'female' designs on the Cybertron vidscreens. Because clearly what Transformers stories for grown-ups need is the suggestion that robots pose like humans in beach commercials... hopefully just a easter egg rather than in the script.

Ads in the back are for Megatron #2, the Movie Prequel, Transformers posters, the Movie Adaptation, manga-size editions, trade paperbacks, Greatest Battles of Optimus Prime and Megatron, Cover Gallery 2, and Star Trek Year Four.

zigzagger
2007-06-26, 07:16 PM
...IDW primarily use two publishers... the one for which there's a longer lead time does glossy thick stock, but Megatron #1 evidently was rather a rush job with another printer who can do quick turnaround. The result is matte, which suits the dark palette badly, and the paper feels disappointingly flimsy next to other IDW comics.

This I can personally vouch for. I set up a subscription for the 4 issues through IDW, and paid a little extra for shipping (it was nice getting the Escalation issues the day of release, or on some rare occasions, a week early. So, I have no qualms about paying extra). But I digress, I still haven't received my first issue!!! I messaged IDW inquiring about it, and their reply pretty much suggests what you said; they we're having problems with one of their printing branches, or something along those lines, (I think it was somewhere in Quebec ), thus hadn't received enough copies.

Denyer
2007-06-26, 07:41 PM
So it could be just some copies that are affected? What I meant above is that there are different printing companies that are typically used [two in particular, as far as I'm aware] depending on how much time IDW have before the issue is needed -- the top quality place (which did the first covers book, IIRC) requires a long lead time.

inflatable dalek
2007-06-27, 05:00 PM
And how stupid are the guards for letting Rumble and Frenzy keep their pilearms active? Even if it's not standard equipment you'd think they'd automaticaly check all prisoners for in built weapons.

optimusskids
2007-06-27, 05:27 PM
Apparently Octane and Blot were the only other non generics in the crowd scene although i haven't spotted them yet.

Ballplayer
2007-07-03, 02:09 PM
Kinda like the idea of Megatron as a surpressed worker coming to an uprising against his Leaders.

Reminds me of the Communist uprising in Russia with Megatron being kinda like Lenin. Too bad though that writers always seem to think that communism doesn't work so the Decepticons will have to fall to evil as well...

inflatable dalek
2007-07-03, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Ballplayer
Too bad though that writers always seem to think that communism doesn't work so the Decepticons will have to fall to evil as well...

But Communism didn't work...

Ballplayer
2007-07-03, 08:58 PM
Up until now not ;) but it could...

Clogs
2007-07-04, 01:54 PM
Wow! That certainly was thought-provoking. Loved the 'Autobot' over-reaction to the verbal challenge and loved Megs emotional response to his downed colleague. There are so many questions to be answered and it's obvious the replies may well be shocking. Nice to see Sentinel Prime realised, too.

And who exactly is this Megatron we're introduced to? He has even more past history we are not (yet) aware of.

Nice art, nice colouring, nice plotting. I'm with this one all the way.

chiasaur11
2007-07-04, 09:24 PM
Don't worry gang!
Just because it hasn't worked despite continuous attempts for over a hundred years and defies basic human nature, doesn't mean WE won't succeed!

Ballplayer
2007-07-05, 07:47 AM
Basic human nature mwah...

I think we can do a lot more than we think, and be a lot more social... who cares for material possesions anyway :P

but on topic:

I hope part 2 is going to be just as good...

inflatable dalek
2007-07-07, 04:19 PM
For Osku:

Megatron Origin: Issue 1

A Review By Inflatable Dalek.

Written by: Eric Holmes.
Art by: Alex Milne.
Colours by: Josh Perez.
Colour Assist by: Zac Atkinson.
Edits by: Chris Ryall.

Synopsis:

Long ago, on peacetime Cybertron Megatron is a worker at Mining Outpost C-12, digging out Energon. But his life is forever changed when Senator Decimus arrives and announces that the Mine is to be fully automated and that all the workers are to loose their jobs.

When a worker becomes angry and tries to encourage the others to protest he is put down hard by a Autobot guard. An angry Megatron attacks and wounds the Senator before killing the Autobot, starting a brief riot. The other Autobots present quickly quell them, killing many whilst the rest, including Megatron, are shipped of to Penal Facility H-3.

En-route Rumble uses his pile drivers to attack a guard and free Megatron and the others. Quickly the take control of the ship and fire upon the ship conveying the Senator so the Autobots will be more concerned with rescuing him than chasing them. Megatron takes the ship to Kaon, the worst place on Cybertron and plans to go to ground.

At the regions Autobot headquarters a bored Sentinal Prime is alerted to the situation by Prowl. He tells his subordinate to deal with it, as he's sure the problem can't be as bad as what's already to be found in Kaon...

Characters Featured: Senator Decimus, Megatron, Rumble, Frenzy, Prowl, Sentinal Prime. Kremzeek can be seen on one of the Advertising boards in Kaon.

Notes:

Megatron's secret origin as a miner is a take unique to IDW, in the Marvel and Dreamwave comics he was a Gladiator whilst the cartoon had him being built by the Constructicons.

Though he's a new character Senator Decimus is based on Alpha Trion from the original Cartoon. Sentinal Prime was Optimus' immediate predecessor in both the Marvel and Dreamwave comics (though it may not turn out to be the case here), in the former he looked like Rodimus Prime's brother. IDW have imagined him- and indeed most of the new Autobots seen here- in a design like that of the characters in the Japanese Transformers Victory towline. With his orange colour scheme and retractable faceplate he looks not unlike a long lost Predacon.

At this stage the Autobots would seem to be a more of a police force or security service, roughly in keeping with their portrayal in the Dreamwave Armada comic. Though Prime seems to be in charge of them he is in turn answerable to the Senate that Governs Cybertrons (mostly unaligned it would seem) population.

According to the miner that gets shot, despite plenty of Energon being produced the workers are under fuelled whilst the Senate hordes it. Exactly why the mine hasn't always been automated isn't exactly clear. Giving sentient Transformers a dull and difficult job when they could build a non-alive digger with the same abilities seems odd. The change- and the Energon hoarding- may well be down to the start of the Energon shortage we've seen in the present day stories.

Rumble, making his IDW debut, would seem to be the Red one. Mind, neither cassette is called by name, so it could still be up in the air if they're both supposed to have the same pile driving attachments to mine with.

Prowl's presence as Sentinal Prime's second in Command ties in with Springer's comment that he's "Always been High Command" in the Kup Spotlight.

In Kaon we see an advertising board with a Lizard Man on it, even if it's supposed to be fanciful it still implies the Autobots have contact with organic species at this point in order to be able to know what a lizard is in the first place.

We also see a couple of adverts with fembots on . Make of that what you will.

A Kaon is a subatomic particle in real life.

Writer Eric Holmes is a computer game designer by trade, this is his first published writing. He'd previously submitted the basic outline to Dreamwave, but got nowhere with it.

Alex Milne makes his debut on a main-continuity IDW book, though illness meant that the first issue was delayed by a few weeks.

Goofs:

Why on Earth is Rumble is still able to do his Pile Drivers whilst in prison? Wouldn't it be routine to disable all transformation abilities before tying them up?

Don't they have radar on Cybertron? Because following Megatrons ship to Kaon should be as easy as pie. Plus Megatron and company leave convenient muddy large footprints as they depart the ship that should make following them far to easy as well.

The Cybertronians really are ahead of their time, amongst the ad boards we see the Smiley Face that simple humans won't invent for a few million years after this.

Unfortunately the page showing Megatron mining with his tool (if you'll pardon the expression) manages to look exactly like he's breaking into tears whilst singing karaoke in a dodgy bar.

Review:

A bit of an odd one this, despite being called Megatron: Origin we don't really learn very much about old Megs here. He's strangely quiet for most of the issue, but just when you put him down as a dumb grunt he comes out with a full sentence when talking with Rumble. It comes to something that it's a generic no body that gives the big "Mad as hell" speech in the meeting rather than the ostensive star.

On the other hand, we do get good work on the new Characters, with Decimus (who speaks like William Hartnel's Doctor Who, which is fab) and Sentinal Prime being well defined. It's also nice to see that Prowl has always been the frustrated Second in Command as well.

It's also good to see the Decepticons being given more reason for uprising here than "Evil is always fun", the portrayal of slimy politicians putting down the little man may be a cliché but it does help create reader empathy for the future 'cons.

Milne's art is perhaps the real weak link. Whilst I don't think it deserves the kicking it's received in some quarters, it is genuinely hard to work out what the hell's going on at some points- Such as how Megatron escapes from his chains whilst Rumble attacks the guard. Considering that the first time Megatron kills an Autobot should be a "Big" moment it's also strangely lacking in impact.

In fact, that's the issue in a nutshell, lots of potentially great stuff but somehow without finesse. Hopefully the fascinating premise will be given the story it deserves starting with the next issue.

[two and a half out of five]

MegatronIDW
2007-07-08, 09:56 AM
who cares for material possesions anyway :P

Um...everyone? me? No offence, but that's a slightly odd statement. And ID, I thought your review was good for the most part, but two and a half seems a little off. Maybe three? Still, I agree with you in hoping that issue 2 has more stuff on Megatron and how he became the Decepticon leader he is now.

inflatable dalek
2007-07-09, 07:06 PM
If not for the art oddities it would probably be a three. Hopefully things will pick up a gear.

Clogs
2007-07-09, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by inflatable dalek
If not for the art oddities it would probably be a three. Hopefully things will pick up a gear.

Heavy metal instead of rock? ;)

Seriously, am waiting for this series to blossom after so very good a promise at the start. And pick up the pace, maybe...

Commander Shockwav
2007-07-11, 04:50 PM
A Megatron Origin series you would think would rock the TF world. But it looks like overall the response to this one has been lukewarm.

There is so much potential in doing this story, I think Holmes would really have to **** up if he still gets a lukewarm response or worse by series end.

snavej
2007-07-19, 11:14 AM
Here's an unthinkable thought that I just thunk: Decimus and his superiors could have been deliberately angering the miners to make them rebel. Perhaps there is an ulterior motive here, so that a rebellious mob is needed for another, larger purpose.

Halfshell
2007-07-19, 01:54 PM
Stupido question, mayhaps?

I read this yesterday. Well, I tried to. I had great difficulty with what the **** was going on, but to be honest I wasn't trying particularly hard.

I made a mental note of "is that great big hulking security guard modeled on Dai Atlus?". Sadly my internet connection was fritzing so I couldn't check it, and now I'm without the issue.

In fact, the whole senate group/whatever looked rather Zoneish.

Or is my referenceometer trying too hard?

Halfshell
2007-07-19, 01:58 PM
Ah... never mind

[B]The Autobot security guards seem to take some design cues from Victory Leo, Deszaras and other Japanese characters

zigzagger
2007-07-25, 05:06 PM
Yes, this is your all purpose Megatron: Origin #2 reaction thread! The issue is supposedly scheduled to hit the selves the 25th of July according to Diamond. No confirmation from IDW, though - not even a preview. Take it as you will.

Zisteau
2007-07-26, 01:33 AM
Climaxes on the 1st page, the rest is denouement. Megatron kills Cy-kill.

Commander Shockwav
2007-07-26, 03:42 AM
SPOILERS

Got it.

Let's get this out of the way: the pencilling was just bad. Better than the first issue, but then again, how could you get worse.

But something made up for it in a big way for me. A big, BIG way. Scrounge! Who would have thought we'd ever see that little guy again! Yet, there he is in all his miserable glory. And not just that. That "Empty" that was also in Marvel's "Return to Cyberton" issue is there as well. Whoever had the idea of getting those cameos in there saved this issue for me. Probably for a lot of folk.

On to the story, this issue wasn't bad, better than the first issue as we get to see the 'origin' of some of the other Decepticon players, which was nice. In fact, the major weakness of this series thus far has been that it really hasn't focused as much as it should in developing Megatron's origin.

Had this series been entitled "Origin of the Decepticons", it would fit much better, and would have been easier to swallow. Instead, Megatron's development as a character has been very sloppy thus far. One minute his concious urges him to do no harm, the next he's chopping down helpless bots with a pick axe. What's the motivation here? I mean, I just don't see why Megatron separated himself from the pack. Okay, he was a disgruntled low-class worker who got laid off, then goes ape****. That's it? Next thing we know, just because he does well in these gladatorial arenas, he's "The Man"? I really expected more. The same message was sent across with two panels during the Dreamwave run. How is this any different or how does it add anything?

Overall, a solid "B" for me, despite the glaringly bad pencilling and the atrocious character development of the lead character. You would think that these two things would make for a bad comic, but there is good enough in it to be worth the time and money.

Something tells me as more fo the Decepticon cast is introduced, this series is going to get better and better.

Osku
2007-07-26, 06:49 PM
Disappointed. Reads like not-so-good fanfiction, some nice ideas and visuals but the excecution is poor.

Seriously hated the "how to make sure that workers rebel" scene and "fembot" signs. :(

inflatable dalek
2007-07-27, 11:38 AM
Well, the main thing I liked about issue 1- them not going for the Gladiator thing- has been shafted well and good.

Fully agree with the good Commander that Megs is worryingly underdeveloped at the halfway mark. Considering there's only enough plot in here for about three pages they could have at least tried getting into his head a bit.

And why is Soundwave talking like that when he didn't in his Spotlight? Does Megatron teach him to lossen up a bit?

Red Dave Prime
2007-07-27, 11:13 PM
Soundwave comes across as more the instigator of the decepticons than megatron. It seems he's also got more mystery than the subject of the comic book. (see how the autobots respond to their scan of soundwave) It was better than the first one alright but its still poor. The transistion of megatron from guilt ridden robot to confident, cold hearted leader is non-exsistent. I also hate the robot blood thing. Makes no sense and didnt happen when megatron was ripping primes chest apart in escalation.

Halfshell
2007-07-30, 04:41 PM
Well it pisses all over #1 on the grounds that I can actually tell what's going on.

And it's got Clench in it.

Sir Auros
2007-08-01, 09:42 PM
I thought it was an absolute mess. Couldn't understand the drawings most of the time and we go from reluctant killer to bloodthirsty lunatic instantly. They managed the story in the worst possible way unless the next issue is a flashback that explains what happened between issues 1 and 2.

inflatable dalek
2007-08-02, 07:25 AM
They managed the story in the worst possible way unless the next issue is a flashback that explains what happened between issues 1 and 2.

Yeah, I was expecting the issue to be a whole cat and mouse game with the Autobots chasing the convicts through the sewers and whatnot. Instead, it doesn't even make it clear if they recognise Megs as the escaped fugitive...

optimusskids
2007-08-02, 08:34 AM
still too dark and cluttered while easter eggs are nice in small quantities too many can make you sick and rot your teeth plus it confuses the story line .

Definitley feels like theres an issue 1.5 missing

Knightdramon
2007-08-08, 10:16 PM
While I was disappointed with #1, I found #2 to be a very entertaining read. Megatron's change from a reluctant killer to a bloodthirsty maniac is sadly left undocumented.

I thoroughly enjoyed the badass look he had as he took off his helmet at the end of the first fight (very, very cool design) and I did like the group fight he had along with Clench and Rumble\Frenzy. "Betabear's" demise was so poorly executed (can hardly tell what's happening] and for a while, so was Clench's. I mean, a guy just speared him and then Megatron pushes him aside\cuts him down on his own?

Nice cameos everywhere, including Ratbat (love the badass look but can never get for the life of it why he of all the casseticons gets the radical and humanoid redesigns).

While he has around two pages worth of appearances, I can't help but like Sentinel Prime. He's got that overconfident badass character written all over him. Totally dig the mouthplate\antennaes too.

Lastly, to add to the confusion...did anybody understand WHAT Megatron did to Bumblejumper? I can obviously read the "RIIIIIP" but can't tell what's going on.

To sum things up, as with the movie adaption, Alex Milne can draw badass robots, but can't for the life of it design panels to make the readers understand what's going on.

MegatronIDW
2007-08-30, 07:23 PM
I think he ripped out his spark by the looks of it. there seems to be a hole in his chest when megs is finished.

I agree that Megs character devlopment is rushed, but if you think about it you can begin to see it.

He starts off as a bot whose been treated like dirt by the ruling class of Cybertron, classed as "Degenerate Scum" by a senate that's MEANT to take care of it's people. He then watches a fellow worker beaten to death for nothing more than speaking his mind and lashes out in anger, resulting in the the death of a guard.

At this point he literally has nothing to lose, which is why he helps out with the prison break. He already has a natural talent for violence as seen with how he handles the guard, so withu no other way to make a living he enters the underground fight circuit to earn energon/whatever currency Cybertron uses. He's again reluctant to kill, but he's forced to by the pressure of the watching crowd. However, it's clear that he resents Clench, as seen by the way he looks at him later on, possibly because he's the one who forced him to become a killer.

But now that he's already killed twice, it's become a lot easier for him. And so, to continue earning a living, and perhaps because for the first time in his life he's actually ADMIRED by a large group of cybertronians, he continues to fight, until the moment that he sees the oppurtunity to at last get revenge on Clench. Killing him, he takes charge and presumably does so succesffuly given that the others view him with so much respect.

Establishing himself as the "Top Dog" of the fighting circuit, he's now become so used to the violence that it doesn't bother him. Indeed, he now sees it as the way to solve his problems, as he's becomke used to an enviroment where it's the ONLY way. He already hates the Autobot security force because of their fascistic treatment of his fellow miner before the revolt, so he has no problem killing the two Autobot's who spy on him.

At least that's my take on it. Of course, by the looks of issue three's cover, it's going to involve some kind of "Vision" or other mind related action involving Megs, so we may leanr more about his character there. I could be completely wrong, but that's my take on the character based on what we've seen.

I'd tell you what I think of Sentinel Prime and the rest of the Autobot senate and security force, but I don't think that kind of language would be allowed on this board.

Denyer
2007-08-30, 10:17 PM
I'm quite enjoying the series, more for the ideas than any specific point of the execution.

Haven't been around for ages; has the art style gone down well on other forums with people who were fans of the Dreamwave house style? I'd be curious to know if there was any correlation.

Also, I think Josh Perez has gone a bit overboard with the highlights, which doesn't help the clarity.

zigzagger
2007-09-03, 02:41 AM
Your all purpose Megatron:Origin #3 reaction thread. Place your praise and revilement here.

Supposedly due the 6th according to diamondcomics shipping schedule.
http://www.diamondcomics.com/shipping/expected_090607.txt

Denyer
2007-09-03, 03:50 PM
More than anything, I'm curious about where this series is going to leave off in the development of the Decepticons...

slycherrychunks
2007-09-05, 11:25 PM
It was okay. The seekers just kind of show up from nowhere. Orion Pax gets a cameo (shown coupled with Elita-One rather than Ariel). Great scene showing Megs canibalising other Transformers to replace his own components - looks like he gets his energy mace from someone else. Swindle is in it.

Didnt quite get the ending - Was Starscream betraying Megatron or was this part of some sort of plan?

I only flicked through the other issues. Can Sentinel Prime change colour or something? Its really hard to follow.

zigzagger
2007-09-06, 02:10 AM
This may sate you until tomorrow, or whenever your local book store receives it.

Thanks to "markerguru" (aka Alex Milne) and the IDW Forums for the heads up! No text, oddly enough.
http://markerguru.deviantart.com/gallery/
Mirrored for you're delayed pleasures
http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/2074/megatron03sample01bymargo0.th.jpg (http://img120.imageshack.us/my.php?image=megatron03sample01bymargo0.jpg)http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/2964/megatron03sample02bymarfn9.th.jpg (http://img120.imageshack.us/my.php?image=megatron03sample02bymarfn9.jpg)http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/9275/megatron03sample03bymarrt5.th.jpg (http://img120.imageshack.us/my.php?image=megatron03sample03bymarrt5.jpg)http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/376/megatron03sample04bymarxx4.th.jpg (http://img120.imageshack.us/my.php?image=megatron03sample04bymarxx4.jpg)http://img75.imageshack.us/img75/3443/megatron03sample05bymarky6.th.jpg (http://img75.imageshack.us/my.php?image=megatron03sample05bymarky6.jpg)http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/6866/megatron03sample06bymarfu8.th.jpg (http://img120.imageshack.us/my.php?image=megatron03sample06bymarfu8.jpg)

Ballplayer
2007-09-06, 08:38 AM
Haven't read #3 yet, but still get the feeling the origin of the decepticons and Megatron is being rushed too much.

Commander Shockwav
2007-09-06, 09:56 PM
Weak stuff, through and through.

It's disappointing that a story with such potential, with such promise, is being handled so poorly, both story and artwise.

And what a crucial story it is too, the anchor tale cementing IDW history.

Artiwise its more of the same, with many indecipherable panels that leave me scratching my head (by the end of this series, I will be bald). Granted, the characters are a little clearer, but even still, the art certainly has contributed in crimping this story.

Storywise, this issue was the weakest thus far. With four issues total, each issue has to get something done. This one seems to languish and drags on without much happening by stories end.

Even the dialogue was weak. For example, in one panel we have Sentinel Prime stating Bumper's death is "a great loss, but this is no tragedy." Two panels later, what is he saying? "To me, this tragedy offers an immediate, startling purpose". And this idiot is the leader of the Autobots?

Sigh. It's not all bad. We get to see Megs and Starscreams first encounter in the IDWverse. Grimlock's in there along with Sunstreaker, somewhat drawn to the Decepticon idealogy, which is in character and nice to see. But all in all, the redeemable qualities of this issue are few and far between.

A give this issue a "C-", and I'm probably being somewhat generous. Doubtful the fourth issue can save the series for me, but here's to hoping.

Denyer
2007-09-07, 12:51 PM
Hrmm, enjoyed this one the most so far -- the only downside being that it could have been issue two rather than three as there was a slow warm-up. Not having trouble following the art, although the mass of detailing veers towards DW house style at times.

The titles at the moment are slotting together and rounding out backstory, without actually being exciting IMO -- for instance, the last two spotlights being used to fill in story between Earth arcs rather than focusing on being spotlight stories centred around the named characters.

Originally posted by slycherrychunks
Didnt quite get the ending - Was Starscream betraying Megatron or was this part of some sort of plan? It'd be nice if it were the latter, and not just walking characters through the traits suggested by old profiles.

Terome
2007-09-07, 04:36 PM
Some nice moments in this one, but it really isn't a good comic. The art starts off real nice but kind of devolves as the pages go by and if I didn't really like Transformers, the good bits of the script would be far outweighed by the generally unimaginative story.

EDIT: I am really, really hoping that they don't turn Ratbat into a tape in the next issue. Really.

StoneCold Skywarp
2007-09-07, 05:52 PM
It looked to me (in the colouring) that Skywarp was performing the Sonic Boom & that Thundercracker was the one teleporting.

That and some of the art for the background characters was appalling.

slycherrychunks
2007-09-07, 07:37 PM
yeah, I noticed that on their introductory panel, the seekers all had slight differences in their design - most notably the different shoulder bits. Yet, in later scenes theyre all back to looking the same.

zigzagger
2007-09-09, 06:40 AM
Well, now - I haven't seen this many gratuitous cameos and easter eggs in a single issue since Dreamwave G1 Volume 2. I mean, as much as I enjoyed how the funeral scene was depicted/illustrated, does Elita-1 really need to be canonized again? ;) Then again, it's always a treat to see Swindle being his usual (sort of) sleaze-ball self. While on the subject of character exposure, I personally was expecting a bit more Ratbat exposition in this issue, or at least a bit more details of Megatron's arrangement with him, it being one of the previous issue's (potentially) redeeming qualities, in my opinion.

I'd gripe about the lack of development towards Starscream and Megatron's relationship, and how Megatron comes to trust him so damn quickly...but it's not as if Origin in its (thus far) entirety has paid much attention to such immaterial details. Well, I sure would have liked that :( , even if it were to be briefly conveyed in those teeny little narrative boxes at the beginning of each new scene (hell, a standard "X months later" would have worked!). But I did like the little scraps that we did get, considering that we have not seen IDW's take on the infamous Megs/Screamer dynamic. Starscream is nice and smug, as we've come to expect, and it works well here - that is, when we actually do get to see it!
Ah, sod it all. It's due time that I just except the fact that, in actuality, Megatron: Origin is not an "origin" of its supposed leading star, Megatron :( . It's a kind-of-sort-of Decepticon origin. Duh! There, I said it.....and yet, strangely, I don't feel any better about it.

Continuing in its usual spiraling trend, the third installment still feels rushed, especially its conclusion, the dialogue is just down right silly at moments, and the panels are still crammed and/or indecipherable half the time.
2 out of 5

inflatable dalek
2007-09-10, 08:41 AM
Yeah, calling it Secret Origin of the Decepticons might have helped. If not for the staggeringly bad art, poor storytelling (feels like we've skipped a lot of vital stuff again).

Is anyone else worried that 95% of Megs dialouge thus far has been variations on "Huh"? Oh, and could someone check the panels to see if Megatron already had fliers on team before he asked Soundwave for them.

Stupidity this issue:

Orion Pax.

Bumper and theotherone having their names in English on the tombs.

Elita 1.

The oddness 0f the "Secret Location" where the fight is supposed to be held- It has the statue of the Senator in it which means it's the same place we saw only a few pages before that isn't remotely secret and is very open and public. All I can think is that the Seekers were supposed to be stealing the statue as well, but the art doesn't even slightly imply it.

Alpha Trion.

Rub signs.

Elita 1, orion Pax and Alpha Trion all being in the issue.

Nevermore
2007-09-11, 04:48 PM
Count me in the "meh" league. Lackluster, boring and too crammed with pointless easter eggs. Rubsigns sucked back in DW's G1 vol. 2.

Megatron's design has changed. In the past issue he basically looked like his "worker" design from issue 1, only replacing the hazard stripes with tribal deco. This issue he's almost in Infiltration/Stormbringer/Spotlight: Shockwave/Spotlight: Soundwave gear. When did he upgrade?

Did they just attach a random deceased bot's arm to Megatron's shoulder, which just happens to have the exact same body proportions and detailing and all, and just sports the wrong colors?

Speaking of colors: What the &%*#§ is up with pages 12, 13, 16, 17 and 19? Those look like they've been done by a different colorist who never talked to the other one. Not only that, the art looks different too. Megatron has facial expresssions that look like they come straight out of a bad anime. If Milne's art is disappointing, those pages are even worse.

That being said, I had to re-read the last page three or four times before I understood what was going on.

For those who complain about Orion Pax (in a proto-Stormbringer Optimus Prime design), there's a white "Ultra Magnus" repaint (Dion?) right behind him on page 6. I though we had left the "Prime in white" nonsense behind us with the Ultra Magnus Spotlight issue. Geez.

Sir Auros
2007-09-11, 08:19 PM
The first issue was still the best.

inflatable dalek
2007-09-12, 06:57 AM
Does anyone else think this wasn't changed at all from when it was submitted to Dreamwave?

zigzagger
2007-09-12, 12:00 PM
Yeh, the fanfic script is highly suspect, and the idiotic easter eggs through the issue doesn't do much in swaying my opinion either, rather they seem to be complimenting the script. Of course, I am more than happy to lump this work into the Dreamwave canon, where it rightfully belongs. That way, I can pretend that it doesn't apply to current stories, or rather, doesn't exist. I'm happily preoccupied (for the most part anyway) with wading through the Dead Universe, Machination, Regenesis, Skywatch, Headmaster, blah, blah, blah, sub-plots. I rather not have Dreamwave's sloppy leftovers sullying that ;)

Yeah, yeah, I know, of course I'll be back next month. Call it morbid curiosity...that, and so I can watch this tale crash and burn. Yay!!!!!
Originally posted by Nevermore

For those who complain about Orion Pax (in a proto-Stormbringer Optimus Prime design), there's a white "Ultra Magnus" repaint (Dion?) right behind him on page 6. I though we had left the "Prime in white" nonsense behind us with the Ultra Magnus Spotlight issue. Geez.
Seconded.

*reverts to melodramatic sub-routine*

You know, I think this was one of my main concerns with this issue; its flagrant disregard towards a lot of what IDW has done to supposedly "redefine" the Transformers universe. Yeah, that must be it.

Nevermore
2007-09-12, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by zigzagger
You know, I think this was one of my main concerns with this issue; its flagrant disregard towards a lot of what IDW has done to supposedly "redefine" the Transformers universe. Yeah, that must be it.

Soundwave and Grimlock both using blatant "cartoon speak", despite talking normal in the Shockwave and Soundwave Spotlights?

Halfshell
2007-09-12, 05:38 PM
That was ****ing dreadful.

I said over at Transfans about #2 that this series epitomises everything that was wrong about Dreamwave... and this just reaffirms it.

It's like watching the Star Wars prequels, but without the consolation that it at least looks pretty.

Boring political intrigue and "don't ask why, just accept that this is this."

Art panels that serve NO purpose at all clogging up half the issue, resulting in the actual plot progression being rushed and haphazard.

I mean the whole "Soundwave with a rubsign" bit existed for no reason other than "look - it's Soundwave with a rubsign!" and took up an entire damn page. Very definition of fanwank.

Pointless stupid cameo-palooza. And after all the work Furman's done in splitting up the subgroups and shuffling bots about, we get redundant panels of "look - the Predacons / Battlechargers / whatever"

What was the purpose of the bit with Sideswipe and Sunstreaker?

Why is Soundwave being released?

Was it necessary for the three jets to have the exact same configs from the start?

Actually... I don't care.

The stupid Ironhide rendering.

The conclusion is blatantly obvious - Starscream is just doing what Megatron planned. Because we know he is. It's not a twist if it's telegraphed.

After #2 had absolutely nothing to do with #1, this at least advances the story... shame it's a ****ing abysmal story.

Cliffjumper
2007-09-12, 05:55 PM
Look, you should all lay off the art, okay? I mean, Alex Milen's having to draw it with just his left hand, and his vision's blurred all the time. You want to blame someone? Blame Pat Lee - he's the one who told Milne about the intelligence test with the coin. Having never seen Red Dwarf, Alex has now been twatting himself around the back of the head for around six months, and now believes himself to be the world's smartest person.

Yeh, basically, reading this thread I feel totally justified in spending money on random Gobot recolours rather than this tripe.

inflatable dalek
2007-09-12, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by Brendocon

What was the purpose of the bit with Sideswipe and Sunstreaker?

Especially annoying as him just being in the crowd during issue two was a nicely subtle State Games reference that here gets bludgeoned.

Philister
2007-09-13, 07:07 AM
While I would certainly wish for a lot more insight into Megatron's character (as compared to the big fat zero we've gotten so far), I agree that you can somewhat guess at his motivation and overall I enjoy the series so far.

Issue 2's gladiatorial scenes at the beginning were really hard to follow (I wasn't even sure it was Megatron in that first battle against the Cy-Kill look-alike at first), but things got better towards the end.

I'm not really sure what we're supposed to think of Sentinel Prime so far. In issue 1 he came over as a bored-out-of-his-mind stuck-up who'd rather shoot at the range than deal with his actual job (though he didn't seem too fond of Senators). In Issue 2 he came across as extremely arrogant. Yet one might consider his character realistic, considering the environment he has to work in.

Sentinel is a military commander in peace time, surrounded by corrupt politicians and forced to ignore situations like rising crime rates in order to pamper whiny senators. Given that, I can somewhat understand his outlook. I still don't like the character much, but I don't think we're supposed to. Sentinel probably won't survive the end of issue 4 anyway.

So overall, I like this series so far. Could be better, needs a lot more Megatron character development, but overall decent.

Knightdramon
2007-09-14, 10:36 AM
Bad, bad and then some more.

In all honesty, this is "Decepticons: Origin" rather than Megatron. A few bubbles with his thoughts as time passed (or even a narrative of his own for some parts) would have worked much better.

The good point is that they finally did Soundwave right in this issue. He's not fat as in #2, but that's more of marcello mattere's work (hell, he did such a good job on Spotlight: Soundwave, why was his work so crappy in #2?)

There's still things that don't make sense the way the panels are drawn. For example, after 3 readings I still don't get what Sentinel Prime does after pushing a button at his wrist during the funeral. He appears darker in the following panels and later on, almost changing from orange\yellow to black\yellow\red. Is it a "phase shift" thing, like in the recent Gundam series?

Overall, it's a pretty disappointing sight so far. The only redeeming quality is, in my opinion, that we get to see Sentinel Prime in action.

Denyer
2007-09-14, 11:56 AM
Does anyone else think this wasn't changed at all from when it was submitted to Dreamwave?
Explanations currently stand at:

http://idwpublishing.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2390

1/ The background characters and deco being added by Milne.

2/ The pitch being reduced from 6 issues to 4, and renamed "Megatron".

Can anyone remember/find the Furman interview in which he said he wasn't going to go down the male/female robots avenue in the main title?

'Cause if that first point is the case, I think editorial should be paying more attention to what artists/colourists are doing -- xref: Prime having a matrix-like glow exuding from his chest in Stormbringer, with the explanation later being needed that it wasn't the matrix.

Titling doesn't phase me, TBH. Megatron's abrupt jumps from miner to killer to gladiator (with nary a caption to say "months passed" unless I missed something...) do.

Brimstone
2007-09-14, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Cliffjumper
Yeh, basically, reading this thread I feel totally justified in spending money on random Gobot recolours rather than this tripe. Hey, you do get to see some Go-Bots in this series. Which is...well...kind of strange, actually.

I thought I had recognized more, but thinking back, I can only think of Cy-Kill and Crasher for sure.

Halfshell
2007-09-14, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by Brimstone
Hey, you do get to see some Go-Bots in this series.

Being used as cannon fodder in typically "hilarious" Dreamwave fashion.

Cliffjumper
2007-09-14, 05:54 PM
Aye, and I can see that in Robo Machines (http://counter-x.net/gobots/comic/robo_machines/index.html) with better art (well, once someone stabs Capaldi, anyway).

Halfshell
2007-09-14, 06:53 PM

Must have been slightly... wasn't Awesomefanboyreferencejumper in G1v3? And him being deaded now.

Cliffjumper
2007-09-14, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by Brendocon
Must have been slightly... wasn't Awesomefanboyreferencejumper in G1v3? And him being deaded now.

*mentions the whole Superion/Runabout/Shockwave thing*

Halfshell
2007-09-14, 07:00 PM
Yeah, good point.

Plus the fact that Dreamwave's flashback continuity had absolutely no continuity with the main continuity. Come to think of it, the main continuity had no continuity with the main continuity...

Yes, I'm overusing the word continuity.

inflatable dalek
2007-09-14, 11:25 PM
The rubsign bit actually feels like it's supposed to be a crap joke along the lines of "The flegling Decepticon resistance used the same tricks the Autobots latter will. Ohhhhh feel the irony".

In the original script/synopsis "Bumper" could easily have random Autobot and it's Milne who made him what he is...

Halfshell
2007-09-15, 10:01 AM
I actually had no idea who it was until I say the name on the coffin thing...

Granted, I didn't really care, but still...

inflatable dalek
2007-09-15, 12:21 PM
It's lucky the Transformers invented English really. Though him being green didn't help...

Cliffjumper
2007-09-15, 12:34 PM
It's lucky the Transformers invented English really.

It's preferable to just having the Japanese logo slapped on everything though, surely?

inflatable dalek
2007-09-15, 12:46 PM
Putting non terrestrial scribles on things would be better. Or at least making "Bumper" look like it's not wriitten in pencil and is just a artists note that didn't get removed (and we had a few of those in Dreamwave as well...)

Philister
2007-09-18, 08:03 AM
I could have lived with the art thing. I could have lived with the overabundance of easter eggs. I could even have lived with Elita-One making an appearance.

What really bugs me is that we get zero, zero, zero insight into what makes Megatron tick, which is what this series was supposed to be about, at least judging from the title.

This whole Megatron as Tyler Durdon from Fight Club thing doesn't satisfy me at all so far. Issue #1 was decent, but it's gotten steadily worse from there.

Ballplayer
2007-10-08, 04:07 PM
mmm better Megs as Tyler Durden, than Megs as Adolf Hitler I think...

zigzagger
2007-10-21, 03:41 AM
Here's your all purpose Megatron: Origin #4 reaction and discussion thread. Place your praise, revilement, or even a tally of how many "easter-eggs" you spotted in this issue right here.
I already spotted a Straxus look-alike in the preview

The fourth and final chapter of Megatron: Origin is due to ship October 24th according to diamond comics shipping schedule.
http://www.diamondcomics.com/shipping/expected_102407kf.txt
Date subject to change.

zigzagger
2007-10-25, 05:38 AM
In all fairness, as an action based issue, Megatron: Origin #4 delivers. There's plenty of it. But considering that issue #4 actually received two extra pages, 24 rather than the usual 22, one would think that this extra page space would’ve been best utilized to cover some loose ends rather than battling. Something, anything, to let this series conclude with some dignity intact. For a character that supposedly plays a pivotal role in the whole Cybertronian war and possibly more, I am just not convinced. True, the Megatron portrayed here is similarly intimidating as he is in the main IDW arc, I’m just disappointed that we never got to see how he got to this point. Does this mean that IDW Megatron has always been a heartless brute? It can’t be. I mean, we very briefly saw a more “humane” Megatron showing something that resembled an inner conflict in the first issue, but this was never followed up on. It would have been nice if we returned to that in the end, even if it were brief. I guess Megatron isn’t as “deep” or G2-ish as many of us had hoped; he’s an indistinct, shallow, brute. Though, it’s interesting that Starscream actually received a distinct characterization. At least, that’s how I saw it.

Also…aside from all the “nod to the fans” references made here, the one that irked me the most was the needless origin of Megatron’s fusion cannon. As if it were love at first sight! So that’s how it happens! Cool. It’s sad really. His damn weapon of choice receives better exposition than the character himself!!!! Okay, I’m exaggerating but it was so pointless.

Ah, so this is how it ends. Not with a bang, but with "Hnn" and a "Heh" (Not literally)
2 out 5

inflatable dalek
2007-10-25, 06:51 AM
I won't be getting this for a week, but really can't care enough to avoid spoilers...

DrSpengler
2007-10-25, 03:19 PM
I liked some things about this issue and hated the rest. Starscream's smug and snarky dialogue to the council was great, though his "not really betraying LOL" shtick was predictable.

Soundwave spark-raping Ratbat and turning him into a cassette against his will was probably the best part of the whole issue.

Artwise, yeah, I had to spend waaayyy too long studying each panel to figure things out, but that's been my complaint since issue #1.

Red Dave Prime
2007-10-25, 06:08 PM
As an action issue it has its moments but theres still the hard to follow panels. The fight with Sentinal Prime should be kick as but I still cant work out what exactly happens (sentinal prime looks excellent in his powersuit). This got me thinking of how many questions I can pose on this issue. Answer if you can:

How can starscream conceal his weapons? Would he not be chained up or at least searched?

Soundwave appears as if from nowhere in the same scene. I quess ratbat has got him a pass into the council but why is he only shown after starscream starts shooting? I've checked the background and there isnt a sight of him.

Wouldnt it have made more sense for Megatrons cannon to have come from Soundwave, not starscream? Starscreams been in prison the whole time where as Soundwave has been out for a little bit. (also soundwave was kind of a weapons merchant in earlier issues)

Why does the council not approve Primes Access to the apex facilities? Was this just an excuse so Prime could whip out his big cannon which he never uses again?

How does Megatron survive Primes first barrage from the powersuit? Seriously, are we to believe he just takes it?

How does Megatron got above Prime for that matter?

How does prime get pulled out of the suit? Those few scenes are really confuising...

The end of the megatron prime fight begs the question - where is the matrix? Have to be honest, I'm not even sure if prime is meant to be dead or not.

This reads like nit picking and I suppose it is but the megatron origins series has been muddled and confused in every way since it began - artwork, scripting, point, placement in which continuity. IDW should just ignore this whole story.

Nevermore
2007-10-29, 03:36 PM
I agree with all the complaints above, and add the coloring that's all over the place in this issue. Bodycount's coloring sucked in #3, and it still does here. Meanwhile, the two pages done by Gabe Eltaeb (is that "Beatle" backwards? An alias perhaps?) look pretty decent against the rest. Give that guy more work!

Panels I seriously had a hard time telling what was going on: Page 14, Soundwave turning Ratbat into a cassette. Lots of pointless detail and reaction shots, and then suddenly the result. How about an in-change shot to show what's actually HAPPENING?

The worst offender: Page 22, panel 4. WHAT THE HELL? Megatron faces Sentinel Prime, and then suddenly... what? A blast? An explosion? I can't tell as there's nothing else inside this panel.

Story-wise, the whole mini read like a Dreamwave comic. Did Holmes ever bother to rewrite his original script when he gave it to IDW?

Shrapnel
2007-10-29, 03:59 PM
Hello, long time reader, first time poster...

Would I be right in thinking that the initial DW script for this series was to run over 6 issues and not 4? If so it boggles the mind as to why IDW would run it over 4 when - in essence - this story arc charts the rise of the Decepticon "Resistance" which was to subsequently become an army that waged war on the rest of the planet.

IMO, such a tale should have been covered in considerably more depth, potentially over, say, 12 issues.

As it stands the tale apparently ends, after some odd wranglings, with Megatron's merry band holding Kaon. Is it to remain a mystery as to what happened next? What lead to widespread, global war?

Notwithstanding the largely poor storytelling at work through this stunted series I came away completely unsatisfied that I knew a great deal more about the Origin of Megatron OR the Decepticons... And I for one would love to know how Starscream, supposedly Jetfire's old scientist mate, came to be banded up with a pair of oafs like Skywarp and Thundercracker... Aside from the apparent family resemblance. Not to mention how Sentinel Prime rose to leadership of the Autobot security force despite being a bumbling buffoon... I mean, raw power didn't really get Omega Supreme to the top!

And, at the very least, one would imagine that the origin of Megatron would perhaps take us up to the first time he met his eventual nemesis, Optimus Prime??

Yes, well, suffice to say that when this series started I had high hopes and now I am left frustrated and mildly enraged.

Alas, does anyone know if there are plans to extend the "Origins" series to focus on other characters which might potentially enrich this title and give us more of a bigger picture?

All the best....

Shrap.

Sir Auros
2007-10-29, 09:37 PM
The art was damn-near unintelligible, and Starscream had a better story here than Megatron. It was better than issues 2 and 3, but that's not saying a lot. This whole series was a disappointment for me because the characterization (which was what this was supposed to be about) went down the tubes right after issue 1 ended.

Denyer
2007-10-29, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Shrapnel
Would I be right in thinking that the initial DW script for this series was to run over 6 issues and not 4? Welcome.

Yes, and it seems it was also pitched more as Decepticons: Origin than the title that was used.

Twelve'd be pushing it IMO, but four has resulted in the story simultaneously lacking breadth (we don't really get a sense of how a few gladiators start a planet-wide revolution) and focus.

It's not come out particularly well on editing, script or some of the artist insertions. Some good ideas, but I think focus on other projects (TF and non-TF) led to several balls being dropped.

Haven't received this issue yet, but I'm glad to hear Optimus wasn't also crammed into the space; it suggests he worked his way up the ranks on ability rather than being thrust into the position of leader (too much like War Within and what happened with Hot Rod in the show.)

zigzagger
2007-10-29, 10:02 PM
Starscream had a better story here than Megatron.

Him and Megatron's fusion cannon. ;)

Commander Shockwav
2007-10-30, 05:13 PM
In all fairness, as an action based issue, Megatron: Origin #4 delivers. There's plenty of it. But considering that issue #4 actually received two extra pages, 24 rather than the usual 22, one would think that this extra page space would’ve been best utilized to cover some loose ends rather than battling. Something, anything, to let this series conclude with some dignity intact. For a character that supposedly plays a pivotal role in the whole Cybertronian war and possibly more, I am just not convinced. True, the Megatron portrayed here is similarly intimidating as he is in the main IDW arc, I’m just disappointed that we never got to see how he got to this point. Does this mean that IDW Megatron has always been a heartless brute? It can’t be. I mean, we very briefly saw a more “humane” Megatron showing something that resembled an inner conflict in the first issue, but this was never followed up on. It would have been nice if we returned to that in the end, even if it were brief. I guess Megatron isn’t as “deep” or G2-ish as many of us had hoped; he’s an indistinct, shallow, brute. Though, it’s interesting that Starscream actually received a distinct characterization. At least, that’s how I saw it.

Also…aside from all the “nod to the fans” references made here, the one that irked me the most was the needless origin of Megatron’s fusion cannon. As if it were love at first sight! So that’s how it happens! Cool. It’s sad really. His damn weapon of choice receives better exposition than the character himself!!!! Okay, I’m exaggerating but it was so pointless.

Ah, so this is how it ends. Not with a bang, but with "Hnn" and a "Heh" (Not literally)
2 out 5

That's twice now your reviews have summed up my feelings on this story better than I could have myself. I know who I'm coming to when I want to read a review. :up:

This reads like nit picking and I suppose it is...

No. No Red Dave Prime. Unfortunately, it isn't nit picking. What you said was spot on and very much to the point.

Halfshell
2007-10-30, 06:27 PM
So. Ratbat did it.

Makes a change from Shockwave at any rate.

Points for the swerve - defied all my expectations and didn't have Megatron use his energy flail in his fight with Prime.

Shame it renders the 8000 panels that blatantly telegraphed it in lieu of actual plot utterly redundant.

... that is the extent of the positive comments I have to make about this issue.

Denyer
2007-11-01, 09:52 PM
I guess Megatron isn’t as “deep” or G2-ish as many of us had hoped; he’s an indistinct, shallow, brute. At this point, anyway. Plenty of time for him to become a leader (and he's going off the deep end somewhat in Escalation/Devastation...)

Finally got this. Best issue of the bunch, IMO.

What could usefully have been emphasised at regular internals in earlier issues was that events were localised to Kaon. Probably particularly for non-US readers, who're used to "the senate" being a singular institution in American writing.

I'm happy enough with the overall plot; there's nothing in there that blocks fan-speculation to fill in gaps. (Though the sudden appearance of Soundwave, and Starscream having stashed weapons after the senate has just read out a list of crimes including murder are both WTF moments.) The reproduction makes it a chore to read, and the colouring as seen in the end product doesn't help -- way too much block white, way too many tiny white highlights in some places, whilst pages from the other named colourist are smeared with light effects.

Something I'd have liked to have been looking forward to for a few months turned out to be basis for a lot of discussion amongst fans (some of which was enjoyable) and more "better than it could've been" than impressing. #3 and #4 work pretty well; the first two fizzled for the lack of focusing on fewer characters or offering cliffhangers to make me think "yeah, can't wait to see how that gets resolved."

Would like to see more of Sentinel Prime -- because he's just a design and a loose character archetype at the moment -- and a spotlight to round out Megatron's character progression (the idea of The Pit mentioned by the author, for instance) wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Not really convinced [as suggested elsewhere] that the darkness of the colour reproduction is the printer's fault, since the adverts at the back of the issue came out fine (apart from the CGC third-party ad... but that's not repro at the printer's end, just that Grimlock's been scanned from a paper source image with insufficient resolution.)

As others have commented, the thing I like least is that the story could fit into almost any continuity, with nothing really tailoring it to the one it's been printed in -- and several snippets of dialogue / panel appearances placing it at odds.

inflatable dalek
2007-11-03, 12:04 AM
Well, on the plus side this one doesn't steal the New Avengers crossover's crown as worst ever Transformers comic. But it's bottom ten material. It was nice of Megatron to actually get some sentences to say, but to little to late.

zigzagger
2007-11-03, 12:44 AM
It was nice of Megatron to actually get some sentences to say, but to little to late.
Speaking of dialogue, I couldn't help but notice during the fourth panel (I think it's the fourth) on page 20 where Megatron tells Sentinel Prime "I've heard it said that we only gain wisdom through suffering" was (somewhat) akin to what he had said to Optimus Prime in Escalation #5 - "They say the moment of another's passing hold the secrets to life itself". I suppose that's at least one parallel that could be drawn towards the Megatron of the main arc (EDIT: as far as characterization is concerned)

There just might be a tiny sliver of hope for this after all :\

Maybe ;)

inflatable dalek
2007-11-03, 12:51 AM
Poor old Megatron needs to work on a better catchphrase for use when killing people, it's hardly "Have you ever danced with the devil in the pail moonlight?"

Knightdramon
2007-11-06, 12:00 PM
Read it, loved it, to be honest. Milne's art was astonishing in this issue, with only a number of panels I couldn't tell what was going on at first glance.

I became so spoiled over his Megatron design that Su's Megatron looks like a happy meal toy compared to a masterpiece figure.

Thoroughly enjoyed Megatron's lines, giving him a sense of matureness that he lacked in issue 1. Back at the mines, he was a bot thrown around by the circumstances, or destiny, as he put it. In the process of the other three issues, he has found out that through brute force he could kick and ride "destiny" to whatever he wanted. Brilliant.

Also enjoyed Ratbat's fate, although, by Devastation 1, I can't understand if he's conditioned and brainwashed to follow Megatron or simply obeys him.

Sentinel Prime put up a very good fight against Megatron, their fight matching the 1986 animated movie fight at points. Can't really tell if he killed Motormaster (such a crucial gestalt member would be a waste to go this way, but he was clearly blown apart by the blast). Loses points due to the fact that he might still be alive at the end (according to Holmes), which kind of degrades the epic battle he had with Megatron.

Speaking of which, how come Nova Prime was the archetype of the entire race, yet Sentinel was nothing more than a glorified policeman?

The bad point of this issue is the colouring on a selected number of pages, where the eyes of the robots appear to be sprayed on by microsoft paint and the colour leaks all over their faces. How come something like this got through to the final print?

Halfshell
2007-11-06, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Knightdramon
Also enjoyed Ratbat's fate, although, by Devastation 1, I can't understand if he's conditioned and brainwashed to follow Megatron or simply obeys him.

However many centuries of being subservient? He probably learnt to adjust.

Speaking of which, how come Nova Prime was the archetype of the entire race, yet Sentinel was nothing more than a glorified policeman?

Because Nova Prime buggered off with the Matrix, leaving Sentinel as just a hollow figurehead?

Red Dave Prime
2007-11-09, 02:07 AM
Just read all 4 issues in a row and have to say... this still is poor by all accounts. So many panels are hard to follow, the art is pretty poor throughout (whether by IDW or Dreamwave standards) and there isnt any real plot. Even as an origin of Decepticons it falls flat. But still, seeing as most (all?) of the posters here didnt like the series I have 2 questions:

1.) Should IDW just ignore it in the plotlines? I love the idea of sentinal prime as a bad ass and would like to see a more interesting story of his tenure and megatrons genuine origins.

2.) Speaking of, am I the only one who thought that the basic premise of megatrons origins was poor to begin with? Megatron (to me) is the most evil and ruthless robot in the TF universe but with intelligence to compliment that. Putting his evolution down to a bit of "bot-rage" in the mines was just lame. How should Megatron become the Tyrant he is?

Denyer
2007-11-09, 02:13 AM
Megs isn't consistently smart, or he'd have won over the millennia. The Ore-13 in Escalation seems to return him to a fairly overreactive and thuggish state.

inflatable dalek
2007-11-09, 06:40 AM
You can still have a smart villain if the hero is as smart or smarter. Megatron's stupid thug personality just makes Prime seem a bit dim as well.

Halfshell
2007-11-09, 08:33 AM
Smart people are evil.
All heroes need is, like, heart and determination.

Did 80s cinema teach you nothing??????

inflatable dalek
2007-11-09, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by Halfshell

Did 80s cinema teach you nothing??????

I can't recall the 80's at all. Did anything good come out of it?

Halfshell
2007-11-09, 08:41 AM
Yeah, me.

zigzagger
2007-12-10, 03:49 AM
To whom may still be interested, the Megatron: Origin TPB is due to ship December 12th according to CNI.
http://comicnewsi.com/article.php?catid=223&itemid=10816

snavej
2007-12-10, 11:53 AM
Megatron is probably one of the smartest TFs on Cybertron but the Autobots probably have the Matrix and can generate more and more strategists with whom to counter and push back the Decepticon threat.

Blackjack
2008-05-29, 11:57 PM
BTW, has anyone noticed Chromia in the Funeral? Oh, and I spotted Seawing in the gladiatorial crowd. (near Sunstreaker)

Loved the art, hated the positioning.

How could Prime be defeated by a poke in the neck? This doesn't make sense.

snavej
2008-05-30, 11:24 AM
Get ready for Neck-Poking Megatron (TM) coming soon to a toy shop near you! Then there will be a spate of neck-poking injuries among the young fans, then the law suits, etc. We'll yearn for the days when all Megatron could do was vaporise things.:(

Zeeks
2008-06-09, 09:11 PM
...Starting to catch up on all the IDW trades currently in print...

Picked this up 2 nights ago. Immediately caught on to the "Cy-Kill" opponent in Megatron's "Ultimate Fighting Cybertronian" match. Nice touch. :)
Most DEFINITELY picked up on the Kremzeek billboard. Warms a Glitch's Heart. :))

The whole political slant reminds me of the manipulation of events by a certain Senator in this small time movie by this unknown named George Lucas.;)

And HELLS YEAH to Soundwave double crossing....oh wait, should I be using spoilers here?
Senator Ratbat

Overall, very good read. Actually, the really ironic thing about this whole origin thing for Megatron reminds me of the exact vision I had for him when I wrote my fan fic, Thundercracker: Another Way The arena, Rumble and Frenzy as pushers for the fights, etc.

Denyer
2008-06-09, 09:39 PM
should I be using spoilers here?
Nah, 's the book's thread...

It's interesting how polarised reactions to this series have been. Our of curiosity, what old TF fic (comics, shows, etc) are the people who liked it familiar with? I'm curious what it's being stacked up against in terms of other renditions of Megs' character.

Zeeks
2008-06-10, 02:33 AM
It's interesting how polarised reactions to this series have been. Our of curiosity, what old TF fic (comics, shows, etc) are the people who liked it familiar with? I'm curious what it's being stacked up against in terms of other renditions of Megs' character.

Well, in the case of everything TF, first impression is always the last impression, and in terms of an actual mythology, of course my heart lies with the G1 cartoon story. However, I fully recognize and appreciate the additional interpretations, stories, and ideas born out of the other medias (that which I am familiar with at any rate).

It's been a long time and the memory is hazy, but there were some good precedents born out of the original Marvel Comic (both UK and US), in particular, a polar opposite of Shockwave's personality, and his struggle with Megs.

BW displayed a great albeit different Megatron, however, after the intertwining of the Ark from G1, I was actually...let down, I guess, that this was not in fact the real, the one and only Megatron.

RiD? never saw the show. Beast Machines? Even though a direct continuation of BW, not so much.

The Armada/Energon/Cybertron Megs was great; a harkening back to G1 ideals without actual G1 (i.e. conversion from Megs to Galvatron). Took him in a new fresh direction without totally submerging him in G1 lore.

For the DW run, this is another hazy area, but I've read most of the trades, and it was interesting in terms of power struggle, again with Shockwave, and going right back to a new origin, which looks to me like IDW is tackling with their Origins Story.

In terms of Ratbat, I never understood why he was such an important character in the original comic run. Initial thought was "he's a freakin cassette for Christ's Sake, how the hell can he actually lead the 'Cons? Then in DW, IIRC, he was part of the group that resurrected The Fallen, which sort of made more sense in some odd way. Then, in this retelling, he's a corrupt senator. Honestly, the one thing that kept ringing through my mind regarding Senator Ratbat was a line from a particular ST:TNG episode (Birthright, maybe?) where the Duras Sisters conspired with the Romulans and the Federation intervened, but the most memorable line out of that was when Picard beamed down to Kronos to speak directly with the Duras Sisters and made a comment along the lines of "The situation has been manipulated with the skill worthy of a Romulan." That was my feeling on Ratbat, aside from the whole Palpatine slant.

Nice thing was, once again, Soundwave's utter loyalty to Megatron. Some things never change.

slartibartfast
2008-06-10, 02:35 AM
Totally outclassed by Zeeks it seems. Marvel UK and IDW almost exclusively, there's a good dozen year gap I'm still catching up on.

I've only read origin once so far, and remember opening it reluctantly from reputation, but I found it to be one of the most memorable of the newer stories, the artwork solid and heavy. Even if I did get a bit confused during some of the action sequences they're certainly no worse than andy setos' cyber weapon, if that makes sense to anyone. Anyway, I really liked it. As for the rendition of megatron himself, I guess I'd take any version over the "At last! Total victory is within my grasp!!1!" cartoon character, this Conan vs. Thatcher megs is brutally convincing, and a credibly interesting step away from the formula. Great stuff.

I must admit though that I usually prefer drawing comics to reading them, my general knowledge of comics in general is pretty scant, I don't think I've even opened a copy of beast wars for example, not yet anyway.

... Ratbat might have found free thought to be too energy-consuming.

Zeeks
2008-06-10, 02:06 PM
Totally outclassed by Zeeks it seems. ...

Are NOT. :D

If anything, most of the poplace on the planet has a better understanding of TF comics than I do. I fully admit: There is a bit of knowledge-ignorance in my perception of TF comics. There are people out there who can narrow a situation down to a specific panel on a page of an issue in a 300+ run... That's not me. At least with TF's... Doom, on the other hand, I might be able to do that, or at least point one in the right direction with a bit of confidence.

After posting, I re-read Megs: Origin again last night; there were certain panels that I just could not comprehend, i.e. angles, objects, etc. One in particular was in the scene between Prowl and Prime.

inflatable dalek
2009-01-26, 09:33 AM
Well, here's the solution for you, a neat little thing I came across on Transfans that perfectly sums up the whole comic in just one, that's right, one page! Not entirely sure if Andrew Soroton posts here, so if it really becomes a hit I'm going to steal credit for it:

http://s90690880.onlinehome.us/jhiaxus/fanart/orgin-in-one-page_001.jpg

Patapsco
2009-01-26, 10:07 AM
I have to applaud the writer for actually being able to decipher Origin to put that together. Seriously, every time I read it it makes my head hurt and not just from the horrible, horrible, horrible art

electro girl
2009-01-26, 12:15 PM
Well I sure wasted £9.99. Makes me wish the original was as easy to read and visually decipher as that, top marks I say!

Auntie Slag
2009-01-28, 05:05 PM
Ha! that's excellent. Is that by the same people that did Molestrangler?

I kind of liked Megatron: Origin. I don't know why, Sentinel Prime managed to look different in each panel and I don't think any of the characters were memorable.

I just kept thinking of 'Auf Weidershen Pet', or 'Boys From The Black Stuff' (Yossertron) and how Megatron would have fit in with them, you know... bunch of lads building a villa in Spain accompanied by a 40-foot megalomaniac robot who they've mistaken for Gary.

Neville: "C'mon there Gary maan, get oos a lord a' fresh cement tha eh"?
Gary/Megatron: SILENCE FLESHLING!
Oz: "What yer gannin' on aboot Gaz man? Yor fookin' mentallike. Nar get oos that what yuz menshioned ya tart".

They all see a pretty girl walk by.

Gary/Megatron: Phwooar, fyooshern cannerns oot fer tha lads, man"!
Oz: Aye he might be starrtin'ter take, but thar's nor way he's gonna fit in tha cabin.

Gary vapourises Andalucia.

Ryan F
2016-01-11, 08:17 PM
Zombie thread!!!!!

As part of a new year resolution thingy, I have decided to read the IDW trades (having read little-to-no IDW stuff previously), and up first was this little gem.

I think I liked it a bit more than most of the comment above (which seem mostly negative). Being a total geewunner means that 'my' Megatron is basically a loony tyrant. So for me personally, having him start out as a revolutionary taking up arms against an oppressive state was, well, revolutionary.

There were a lot of gaps in the narrative - Megatron goes from oppressed plebian to psycho-killer in the space of a few pages. Presumably this was down to the story being truncated from six issues to four, so an editorial problem rather than a scripting issue?

As many have already commented, the art was dingy, murky and hard-to-follow. Not sure if it was some sort of deliberate stylistic choice to create a mood, or whether it was just rubbish. It certainly spoiled any kind of flow or smoothness, as I was constantly double-checking panels to make sure exactly what I was seeing.

But there was some good stuff here, too. I loved Ratbat, the guy pulling the strings and manipulating everything. As I said over on TFW2005, he comes across like Sil from Doctor Who, fiddling stocks and shares, whilst watching footage of criminals getting slaughtered. His comeuppance - totally obvious in hindsight - actually surprised me when reading it, which probably just means that I'm easily surprised.

If I were to sum up my overall impression of this story in one word, it would be 'meh'. There's some good stuff here, some nice ideas, some great moments, but it's buried in a mire of sludgy artwork and a script that's clearly been compromised.

A bunch of Spotlights next and then onwards to Infiltration!

Auntie Slag
2016-01-11, 08:26 PM
Wow, proper zombie love resurrection (do it Alison Moyet, it'll get your career going again!). I'm glad I have Megatron: Origin. I've read it through quite a few times. Its pretty dodgy, but compelling. I like it.

Mind you I was really lucky. I got all four in a Forbidden Planet 'grab bag' for £1.

That Cy-kill scene, Clench, Bumper and Fastback, Ratbat, and Sentinel changing his appearance more often than Bowie.

Its an odd, interesting... thing. I'd have appreciated six issues.

Patapsco
2016-01-11, 08:32 PM
I have to applaud the writer for actually being able to decipher Origin to put that together. Seriously, every time I read it it makes my head hurt and not just from the horrible, horrible, horrible art

oooh... 29 year old me was a grumpy sod

Auntie Slag
2016-01-11, 08:42 PM
There was a lot more shit than roses back in them days, though. After having been on here for a few years I was desperate for some new TF material. I desired the Dreamwave stuff from afar, thinking that now matter how bad the story, the artwork would make up for it.

I was wrong on both counts (this is referring to the first arc with Lazarus). It was bilge.

I was mildly surprised by Megatron: Origin. I mean, if I were a teacher I'd still put a 'must try harder' comment on it in red pen. But you could see what they were going for, there's some pep in it, more so than the War Within stuff.

Patapsco
2016-01-11, 08:49 PM
There was a lot more shit than roses back in them days, though. After having been on here for a few years I was desperate for some new TF material. I desired the Dreamwave stuff from afar, thinking that now matter how bad the story, the artwork would make up for it.

I was wrong on both counts (this is referring to the first arc with Lazarus). It was bilge.

The second volume is even more so, as it complete ignores volume one's cliffhanger and moves through treacle story wise until the last issue where Shockwave explains his master plan for what seems like forever. There's also a tremendous ricket with the TPB of volume two where it repeats a dozen or so pages from issue four instead of issue five so it makes absolutely no sense. Thankfully IDW got better about publishing TPBs after that

Auntie Slag
2016-01-11, 09:34 PM
I'm really enjoying this current phase of Transformers. Its definitely my favourite era of all Transformerdom. And that's because of the films, MTMTE and the Archive.

All the toys are really cool too. It feels fantastic to be in 2016 and be able to find a Cyclonus toy in the shops, or not just one, but four or five Transformers comics running concurrently.

You know, as a kid I always thought that by the time I was in my early 20's like I am now (cough), that no-one on the planet would remember an obscure name like Seaspray. Yet here we are, and look at all this! Its fantastic! :smokin:

Skyquake87
2016-01-12, 08:13 PM
Meagtron : Origin is still a big plie of ploppy plop though. That one page scribble sums up how bloody cack-handed the story telling was. A massive waste of resources and everyone's time. And clearly, the colourist thought so too, smearing the whole mess in their own excrement.

Patapsco
2016-01-13, 10:10 PM
it's a six issue series cut down to four that was meant to serve another continuity. There were some good ideas - Sentinel being an absolute arse, Ratbat being some sort of inside trader - but all drowned in terrible colouring and overly line-y art

Cliffjumper
2016-01-13, 11:34 PM
I liked the idea of Sentinel and the corrupt Autobots at the time, but I think even that looks a bit crude with some distance, and compared to the nuance in flashbacks. Because, yeh, the storytelling of it was really bad.

Red Dave Prime
2016-01-13, 11:36 PM
The quality of megatron:origins was massively improved by chaos theory pts 1 & 2.

James Roberts: So good his stuff makes other peoples stuff better.��

Cliffjumper
2016-01-13, 11:46 PM
I do think it deserves a little tiny bit of credit for being the first thing to intentionally (so Rodimus doesn't count) make the Autobot leader a massive, massive prick. I mean, between the rest of IDW's work and DOTM we're used to this idea that all the Primes before Optimus were a procession of twats but at the time all we really knew about Sentinel was that he was camera shy and tended to lose fights to Megatron.

Now it's a bit of a trope; I wouldn't mind Sentinel or Zeta coming back - IIRC we don't really know much about what exactly happened to them; wasn't S.P. explicitly still alive at the end of Origin? I mean, everyone else has come back, it might be nice to have one of them in the mix of the current situation.

inflatable dalek
2016-01-14, 07:17 AM
IIRC everyone assumed Sentinel was dead at the end of M:O at the time, though Eric Holmes said the intent was he survived. With the new toy coming we'll presumably be learning about the time he decided to look like an orange Astrotrain soon enough.

Zeta waa fairly decisively finished off by the first Dille series wasn't he?

Red Dave Prime
2016-01-14, 09:41 AM
Oh yes. Zeta is definitely dead. Not sure on sentinal though

Terome
2016-01-14, 02:47 PM
Not sure if I can take a re-reading of Origin but it did put some interesting ideas out there as well as cause a chunk of State Games to bob to the surface.

I think the single most interesting thing about it was having the Autobot badge be on the riot police shields as a symbol of oppression.

The single least interesting thing about it was the whole 'Decepticons have inbuilt weaponry' angle.

Soundwave as some sort of superhero merc was weird.

Cliffjumper
2016-01-14, 07:07 PM
Oh yeh, forgot about the Dille ones. Still, don't particularly recall them being much deader than anyone else IDW have killed off, so it might make a good idea for a resurrection.

M:O got the biggies right I think - it was nice to have an origin for Megatron, and the idea of the Autobots being a genuinely corrupt and oppressive police force was sound. Shovelling in the whole Decepticon movement so we've got it going from one disgruntled miner to a whole army of superpowered bastards was insane; might have worked better as a Spotlight or two.

Or, yeah, the flashbacks we got later.

inflatable dalek
2016-01-14, 08:39 PM
The thing that still annoys me about Megatron: Origin is we'd have had a proper James Hill written State Games comic if IDW hadn't commissioned it first. Considering how much the backstory borrows from Hill (though to be fair, Holmes was unlikely to have been aware for it as he was originally writing for Dreamwave where Furman was the one who brought the gladiator stuff over) it would have been nice if he could have had a punt at it instead.

The big disconnect for me in Origin is the massive skip between Megatron escaping from the prison ship and suddenly being a top gladiator.

Still, if the condensing of the original six issue idea had been better handled; if the art was more solid and if it was a book actually about Megatron rather than some guy who occasionally says "Huh" it would be a much better series.

Brendocon 2.0
2016-01-14, 09:36 PM
GUYS. WE AGREED TO NEVER MENTION THIS AGAIN. WHAT THE ****.

Red Dave Prime
2016-01-14, 10:39 PM
We never learn. We're doomed.

Patapsco
2016-01-15, 07:18 AM
GUYS. WE AGREED TO NEVER MENTION THIS AGAIN. WHAT THE ****.

those who never learn from the mistakes of the past are doomed to repeat them. Besides, we have to teach the cute newbies that Transformers comics weren't always as good as they are now

Red Dave Prime
2016-01-15, 08:48 AM
As bad as M:O was, I would still put Drift (both of them), Bumblebee and Heart of Darkness as being worse.

Edit: Jesus, that Bumblebee mini... just the worst thing ever.