PDA

View Full Version : [Original RPG] What do you think about a Movie-based RPG?

Reflector
2007-07-25, 08:10 PM
You may have noticed something I did - the movie freakin' rocks.

Or maybe you didn't.

Anyway and seriously now, what do you guys think about the notion of a side game based on the Movieverse a la the Beast Wars side game we did a while back? Would you be interested in playing it? The staff's been mulling over the notion, but we don't want to bother if you all think it's a dumb idea. So speak up.

As in real life, all votes for Nader will not be counted. ;)

Aero Blade
2007-07-25, 09:38 PM
Yay Nader :D

I enjoy the movie, but not sure how well it'd do for a large scale rpg (which is what this place is to me ;) ) so I can't vote either way. I'll gladly hang back and watch the fun, and if you guys get it going good you might get another player. For now, though, best get in the rest of those votes

Halfshell
2007-07-25, 10:01 PM
Well it's obvious that any Movie-based RPG would involve lots of sitting about doing nothing for weeks for the Decepticon characters, which suits my style of play no end...

redman prime
2007-07-26, 01:13 AM
I think it would be a good multi-person fan fic, but not an RPG, per se..
I think.

not enough characters.

could really give a backdrop for persona's and stray from established habits.
and for Ziggy, Ratchet could be yellow. ish.
kinda green...

but with the collective mod talent, it could be superb.

Aero Blade
2007-07-26, 02:28 AM
Characters to play in this rp would not be limited to those seen in the movie. We've been working on figuring out which bots from the various games/toys/etc. would also be well suited for this kind of game, so there will be no shortage of playable characters.

Warcry
2007-07-26, 06:55 AM
I think the count we came up with was 45 playable Transformers gathered from the Movie itself, the video games, the toyline and a few other Movie-related things. That's more than enough to start out, and if you haven't been paying very close attention to the secondary Movie universe stuff, you might be surprised to see who's on the list. I know I was. :)

I'm kinda excited by the prospect. The Movieverse is a fresh canvas, without the huge bulk of established continuity that the G1 game (or a game set in any other TF universe, really) has to deal with. It'll be fun, I promise. :)

Halfshell
2007-07-26, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by Warcry
if you haven't been paying very close attention to the secondary Movie universe stuff, you might be surprised to see who's on the list. I know I was. :)

Flywheels?

miked23
2007-07-26, 03:48 PM
I think its a good idea. But i still think it would be too short and it would not have enough Characters. Would this all be happening during the movie or would it be right after the movie.

Reflector
2007-07-26, 03:58 PM
- The Decepticons will be plenty busy with schemes and conquest and petty theft and all that. Yes, I know you were kidding, but somebody probably wasn't...

- As was said, there are plenty enough characters that this should be about as involved on a per-player basis as the BW game was. We want to make this a really character-driven story since there is such a small cast, but there are plenty to go around. And don't worry, we'll arrange character rules so that nobody's hoarding Movie-appearance characters.

- The story will be taking place in the aftermath of the film, so there won't be any time limit on it. Don't worry, we'll work out a way to revive the guys who died on screen.

Warcry
2007-07-26, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by Brendocon
Flywheels?
You and I both know that there's no way a new Flywheels would have escaped your attention for this long.

Although, if there was a Movie Flywheels, he'd end up being twice the size of Megatron. :D

redman prime
2007-07-27, 12:57 AM
Sure.
might as well.
but I already voted Nader.
like everyone else, I now want awesome... I mean, he invented the internet, when compared with Stupid.. too political. sorry

optimusskids
2007-07-27, 06:12 AM
People died in the film noooo.

will know one way or another once it comes out in the UK if it's worth making a RPG.

until then i'll stick to it sounds like it could be a good idea.

Will it still be the Allspark or can we go back to the Matrix(tm) on the grounds that we are less likely to confuse the source of transformers life with a trilogy of films about alternative digital realities run by Colonel Sanders.

Reflector
2007-07-27, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by optimusskids
until then i'll stick to it sounds like it could be a good idea.

When is that, by the way? We have a pretty good percentage of UK players here, and I'd like to give y'all an honest chance to weigh in.

Halfshell
2007-07-27, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Reflector
When is that, by the way? We have a pretty good percentage of UK players here, and I'd like to give y'all an honest chance to weigh in.

Opened in the UK officially last night. Though there's been previews scattered around the country on a regular basis since the premiere in June.

Skidmark
2007-07-27, 04:05 PM
If we're going to do a movie based RPG then we are gonna more characters and a continuing storyline.So far,there's about 20 characters including other robots not in the movie and humans.We could play where the ending left off With Prime sending the message and Starscream leaving Earth.Just a thought. :)

Halfshell
2007-07-27, 04:39 PM
Read the thread:

I think the count we came up with was 45 playable Transformers gathered from the Movie itself, the video games, the toyline and a few other Movie-related things.

Clogs
2007-07-27, 10:54 PM
Sounds cool, providing there is a reasonable set of controls in place that assume the play is in the 'real' world here e.g. no other alien races, kinda using the rules of physics. I would happily run with the Allspark instead of the Matrix, and I assume it would be in pieces, neh? (There - you might even have a set piece to use!)

And will there be... squishies? By that I mean: will there be a chance to play a human role, or would these be NPCs and belong to the mods where appropriate?

Aero Blade
2007-07-28, 02:33 AM
We've been putting the role of humans under consideration still as far as how we are going to integrate them. They certainly play a more crutial role in the movie than they did in the other series, and it's going to take a bit of thinking to decide how the use of humans would be best applied. We'll give you guys some more details as we get that figured out. If you have any suggestions, though, here's the place to put them.

Warcry
2007-07-28, 03:40 AM
Since some of our Brits haven't had the chance to see the movie yet, lets try not to make this thread too spoilerific, OK? :)

Originally posted by optimusskids
Will it still be the Allspark or can we go back to the Matrix(tm) on the grounds that we are less likely to confuse the source of transformers life with a trilogy of films about alternative digital realities run by Colonel Sanders.
Well...no. Calling it the Matrix would just make it more confusing, since it really isn't the Matrix. It's different enough to warrant a different name.

But now I'm gonna have to toss a human named Colonel Sanders into the game. :D

Originally posted by Clogs
And will there be... squishies? By that I mean: will there be a chance to play a human role, or would these be NPCs and belong to the mods where appropriate?
It depends on how much interest there is from you guys. If anyone wants to put in enough time to properly develop a human character, we'd be happy to have that, but one-dimensional stereotypes and cyphers (like the humans from the G1 cartoon)...not so much. :)

barricade818
2007-07-28, 07:58 PM
Maybe we can revamp current G1 characters to be more "movie" like. Also, for humor, we could develop the xbox 360 and mountain dew machines into characters.

( If anybody wants to make make these characters, please contact me, I have a bunch of good ideas).

Brave Maximus
2007-07-31, 02:35 AM
Initially, I wasn't all that thrilled for this one.
But then it became a realization that starting one Universe from the ground up is the same as another.

My biggest concern is that there is really no established Mythos for this continuity. We've got a bit from the pre-qual comics (and not that much - what 4 issues worth) and a 2 hour movie, that really didn't go all that much into it. That means a mythology, storylines and what not would have to be done completely from the ground up. Not that I'm doubting your guys skills in anyway - I would just hate to see this digress into a G1 clone: Something on earth the Cons want, Autobots there to stop it, time and again, at nausium. Even if the cons form alliances with human groups (Really, I think it would be bloody awesome to see them helping out North Korea, Iran and the terrorist\insurgents in Iraq and Afghanistan - I just think that would strike to close to home for some people - and people would get pissed off or worse) - it comes very close to what the G1 RPG has done before.

Now, that being said, I would love to see some good, developed human characters in the mix. Humans that aren't afraid (Beyond the immediate danger of getting stepped on or blown up) to stand up to the cons, and legitimatly put up a fight against them, or help them in a very benifitial way.

I know it's far too early to be doing this, but, with my luck recently - I'm not taking the risk: I would love to try my hands at any of the following:

Bumblebee and Spike\Sam
Optimus (Please, oh please!!! yeah, I know, not going to happen)
Captian Lennox
Sargent Epps
Jazz
and/or Secretary Kellar

Had an idea about humans in the game: The movie was much more focused on the human element (as Aero said before), and it would seem a horrible waste to dump them by the wayside or relegate them to NPCs to be dragged in as needed. My thought is, why not partner them up for players that wish it. I mean Sam and BB are already a team and a few others would seem logical as partners in a protector\advisor role. It would be fun to include the Real toys as well this way.
This would allow for the interaction\playing of both races without the immediate exclusion of one or the other. Of course it all comes down to the players and what they do. I mean, you cannot possibly expect a human to ever have a weapon that can do damage to a TF, that's A: Man-portable and easily hidden (Robots in disguise are going to be a bit leery of the guy walking down the street carrying the stinger missle launcher strapped to his back) and B: does enough damage that doesn't do massive collateral damage and or is suicidal to use (Be close enough to see markings\get a clear shot and not be blown up as well). This is not to say that humans can't\won't be able to develope good weapons - but they aren't going to have big explosions).

Anyway, my 2 cents and throwing my hat in the ring, I guess

barricade818
2007-07-31, 03:21 AM
I agree with Brave, it won't be that fun if it's just a G1 RP with less characters and a few make-overs. Maybe we can mix it up a little, do some stuff that goes completely against G1. Who says we have to follow the movie storyline to the exact detail. Just create a whole new world/RP from the ground up, that is just based on the movie. Throw in a few fan made characters, a new planet, some new technology, and a innovative storyline, and you got yourself a pretty good looking RP.

Warcry
2007-07-31, 05:04 AM
Before anyone misinterprets Brave's post, you can't claim characters yet. The staff hasn't even figured out how a character claim process would work, so, as Brave said, it's really quite premature. :)

Originally posted by barricade818
Maybe we can revamp current G1 characters to be more "movie" like.
Not for now, we won't. If we do that right off the bat, we run the risk (as Brave already said) of having the game become indistinguishable from G1, with new bodies. Later on it's a possibility, but it won't be an option when the game starts.

For much the same reason, we're not G1ifying things like the Allspark or Sam's name. After all, we're talking about a fresh, new universe here, and we'd like to do everything we can to preserve that uniqueness...at least until we've got the thing going in a distinct enough direction that we won't have to worry about the occasional upgraded G1 guy running around. :)

Also, for humor, we could develop the xbox 360 and mountain dew machines into characters.
If anyone actually wants to use Dewbot or xBox-Con (or whatever), and are actually going to put serious effort into it, that's something we would wholeheartedly encourage. :)

Originally posted by Brave Maximus
My biggest concern is that there is really no established Mythos for this continuity.
There's the Movie, the prequel comics, the prequel novel, and close to a dozen video games with different stories. Plus the toy biographies, and probably a couple other things that I'm forgetting. That said, we haven't quite decided which of those are going to be 'canon' for our RPG, and which are just going to be used for background info, characters and the like.

It's not as much as most TF universes have, and some of the canon sources are obscure or hard to find, but I figure there's as much of a mythos for this as there is for, say, RiD or Robot Masters or whatnot. Enough to give us a baseline, anyway. :)

As far as involving the characters in real-life conflicts that are ongoing as we speak, I (and this is just my opinion, not an official decree) really don't see that happening. Political correctness and all that jazz aside, the Autobots would have a lot of trouble on their hands if they went around sticking their noses into humanity's wars, and the Movie Decepticons seem (IMO) to view humans as vermin more than potential slaves or usable resources (an attitude that I find refreshing as far as villains go). That doesn't mean that the game won't touch on areas like Iraq or whatnot, but I wouldn't expect (or particularly want) that to be a major facet of the game.

We've discussed using the Real Gear guys as 'partner' characters, but if we take them out of the regular TF pool there's just not going to be enough characters to go around. :(

Humans...humans are a sticky subject. I'd be interesting in knowing how many of you guys are interested in running humans, and what sort of role you envision them taking in the game.

For my part, I think humans will naturally become less of a facet in the game as more and more TFs become active on Earth. Helping the 'Bots defeat a handful of 'Cons is one thing, but playing a major role in an all-out alien war is quite another.

optimusskids
2007-07-31, 06:02 AM
It might be nice to play up the global aspect Tf historically tends to be stuck in the USA with the occasional trip to a Desert e.g Carbombya/Iraq.

There might be some potential for going further afield

theres 100's of places ,Carribean, Canada, France , Germany.

Brave Maximus
2007-07-31, 11:38 AM
Yeah, I know it's way to early to claim characters - and I'm probably going to start a bad trend - so, Mods, I'm sorry.

Honnestly, I forgot about the Prequal novel and the games, tbh - so, there is actually a bit to go on - so sorry for sounding so down - not my intention. I just wanted to air the fears that this might turn into a G1 clone.

As for involving real-life conflict\nations\what ever - I agree that the bots would be keeping their nose out of affairs. The impression I got from Prime at the end of the movie was that he wanted to just exist peacefully.
On the other hand (and this will play into another point a little further on) - the governments of the world (specifically the US government) would not allow potentially hundreds of legal Aliens to run free and uncheck - especially with the ammount of destructive power that they have (*cough* Ironhide *cough*). So, one would assume that a deal had been struck, will be struck regarding non-agression and fuel, at least, as far as the US\Autobot relations.

But, I think the idea that the Decepticons don't care about the humans, the earth, etc at all, and were only there after one thing and then were going to bugger off is a great and refreshing take. On the other hand, it's quite limited as to where to go story wise. As far as Screamer knows - the Allspark and Megatron were destroyed. I'm sure they also got Prime's signal though. SO - are they going to attack earth in a mass attempt to wipe out the Autobots once and for all? If so, are we talking infultration and secret war or all out War of the Worlds? (Again, this is just me spouting ideas and questions - you mods know how my mind works)

We've discussed using the Real Gear guys as 'partner' characters, but if we take them out of the regular TF pool there's just not going to be enough characters to go around. :(

Humans...humans are a sticky subject. I'd be interesting in knowing how many of you guys are interested in running humans, and what sort of role you envision them taking in the game.

For my part, I think humans will naturally become less of a facet in the game as more and more TFs become active on Earth. Helping the 'Bots defeat a handful of 'Cons is one thing, but playing a major role in an all-out alien war is quite another.

Nits and grits part:

That's actually not what I ment at all. I was thinking more of seeing the Big bots teaming up with, partnering with, being assinged to, one of the humans or groups of humans. Like BB and Sam. Still not sure that's coming out right: Captain Lennox and his team (of survivors) would be the logical choice for monitoring and guard duty for the Autobots on Earth. They know, and are fully aware of the situation, and you pretty much know how they're going to react (sort of - there can be some great character growth there). We all know the government would not trust two teenagers with the duty of guarding, educating and keeping tabs on the Earth-bound Autobots. More than that, the military guys would have the training to deal with and handle the possible return of Decepticons - and they're more stable than the Sector 7 guys*. Secretary Kellar would be perfect for a liason between the two species and I can see him and Prime either becoming friends or seriously butting heads. But when I said partners - I ment more of a working relationship between a human (or group) and an Autobot.

On the other hand, the Real Gear guys have rather limited mobility - and while blending in for the Con guys is perfect, it's limiting for the Bots - so it's always an option. I will say, if I get to play a human (:D) I would want a Real Gear to go with them.

Next:
I really don't agree with that last comment Warcry, and it's just that I think we're looking at it from two different points of view. I think that Human characters would be very nessissary (depending on how they're played) only because, if it was an all out war\War of the Worlds scenario, I think the humans would become overly involved. What happened in LA would be all over the news unless Sector 7 some how cut off communications. Even then, cellphone cameras, video, tourists, word of mouth etc would leak it. If this were to spread and be a... continuing thing, it really would be world war III. I think it would be up to humans (the ones who know) from keeping the war from really spilling out - as much as it is the Autobots.

Now, I'm not, in anyway, advocating this becoming a full on human RPG. Just that, IF players want to play one or two human characters (as I obviously am) then the option should be explored. They can be added into the plots relativly easily. But, as long as the players know that, if they run into the battle too many times, the chance of the humans not ending up as goo on the bottom of a TF foot is pretty slim.
Did that make any sense?

*Note on sector 7 guys and an idea:
Trying to get Megs and the allspark back in the game: What's his name would probably be pissed off at being humiliated (a few times) buy a kid and his pet alien robot, getting canned and what not - He's not the most stable of guys and he knows where Megs was dropped.....
just an idea....

*Edited note:
I do think the mods have a good idea, grasp of how to pull it off and what not. I mean from Flec, Aero and Warcry's posts - they know what's what. I just happen to come at things a little different and toss out ideas just in case. Please don't take it that I'm disrespecting the mods or anything like that. Quite the opposite, I have great respect for the work they've done on this so far and where they're going. I just happen to see things and toss out ideas.

barricade818
2007-07-31, 04:30 PM
I think the human element would make the game a lot more interesting. There is know way that the U.N. would let these super advanced robots run around unchecked. The U.N. would be all over them studying them for new technology to improve our world.

One of my concerns is where the autobots and decepticons are going to set up base. The idea of a huge Autobot city, and a massive Decepticon underwater base, doesn't feel movie like at all. We all know that the transformers are going to want to have a place of their own where they can kick back and relax, but if this is a base where would it be. If it is a city, it would allow for the human element to be more intergrated. Humans and Autobots living together in one big city would allow the humans to help the autobots to learn from the humans and vice versa. Lets face it, in the G1 series, the autobots wanted to help humanity, but if you ever wanted to get a hold of them when communications were down, you had to hitchhike out to the desert. If the autobots really had the best interest of the humans in mind, wouldn't they want to live closer to civilization, where all the energy is, where people live, and where the decepticons always attack.

barricade818
2007-07-31, 06:56 PM
I just posted the profiles I made for the x-box and the mountain dew characters. I know I'm jumping the gun a little, but I was really bored today.

I posted them in the fan made characters thread, it's the first one on the third page. It says it there, but please send me feedback or comments, I would really appreciate it. Please don't worry about offending me, I know I'm not perfect. If any one can help me with the stats, please PM me. Thanks.

Clogs
2007-07-31, 08:46 PM
I'm not up for an Autobot city or the like. Prime has invited his fellows to Earth to hide, as he puts it, in plain sight, so I see it a bit like RiD with each Autobot serving a purpose (but forget the base bit, yeah?). Remember, either Lennox had a driver bring him home in a vehicle identical to Ironhide or... The only base I can think of would be if the Ark is to be considered functional and, so, possibly the Nemesis.

Just wonder how/where/as what the 'Cons would hide. I am assuming they will also respond to OP's general message and perhaps try to make a new Cybertron. This would fit with the movie's premise about what Megs could do with the Allspark. Got the impression that these new TFs have their own power source, since their awesome weapons must require quite a bit of juice and no one, so far, in any prequel or the main storyline, has gasped for fuel/energy. Deals for fuel are, therefore, likely not a playable option.

Noted that there is also a fair bit of back mythology going on and it should be possible to extrapolate some other stuff if it's deemed reasonable (by the Mods). Just my penn'arth, since I tinker with comparative mythology and can spot some ideas to play with.

Just one last point: The Allspark energy activates several machines, but all are quite brutal and would, on face value, seem to be Decepticons. Would it not be interesting to explore whether that is what the Allspark always made (to fight a monumental battle?) and how a peaceful civilisation came to be on Cybertron? This would mean all the Autobots were, at some point, Decepticons, and many might still be borderline.

barricade818
2007-08-01, 02:58 AM
I disagree, I don't think that all transformers are created Decepticons. I think it just seems that way at first look. What would you do if you came into a world, with no knowledge of anything around you, and not knowing anything about anything? Plus, you are capable of being a deadly killing machine, yet you have no etiquette or sense of right and wrong. I think that you would go a little berserk too.

When Jetfire/Skyfire was unfrozen in the G1 series, even he was a little confused, and worked for the decepticons, and he had been an intelligent scientist.

Brave Maximus
2007-08-01, 04:11 AM
Since I'm not up on the movie-verse history (I've just seen the movie and haven't explored any other spin off) - It warms my heard deeply to know that fuel\energon is not a main driving factor.

As a quick aside to the base question. I think that even the bots would need a place to: A) kick back in bot mode. I think just driving around all day would get dull and cramped.
and B) to aclimatize and educate new Autobots to earth. I think it would be very easy for Prime to send a set of co-ordinates with his message and for the Bots\humans to meet them there, hide them, educate them and then give them an alt mode. (hell, they'd have access to the net, so they could get their choice of alts).

For me, the easiest and most logical in verse location would be the Hoover Dam\Sector 7 base.

It's relativly remote (looks about 50 miles from the nearest town - from my quick and very un-thourogh check), the bots can "splash down" in the lake behind it with limited collateral damage (though some Cybertronian re-enforcement of the dam itself might be needed). It's certianly big enough (with the giant allspark not there). You know, all the reasons sector 7 chose it in the beginning.

optimusskids
2007-08-01, 05:43 AM
You coluld go the Boulder Hill , Micromaster base route and have disguised facilities with transformative capacities dotted around in strategic places.

Brave Maximus
2007-08-01, 06:08 AM
I really like that idea, either right off the start or when we get enough bots together.

I'd think that the Cons would have one base, and splinter into teams or solo

barricade818
2007-08-01, 04:23 PM
I was also thinking the same thing, but we still have the matter of where the Decepticons set up base. I was thinking maybe an underground base.

Reflector
2007-08-01, 06:36 PM
As far as bases go, the staff came to pretty much the same conclusions. We figure the Autobots will be setting up shop either at the Dam (which is about thirty miles from Las Vegas and twenty from the fictional Mission City, for those curious) or at a discrete location in Mission City, and the Decepticons will assume an abandoned military base. However, since the Autobots are trying to minimize their impact on Earth and since the Decepticons seem to despise it, I can't see either side establishing the intricate bases we've used in other continuities. They'll probably spend a lot of time out of the house.

I want to dissuade fears of this being a potential G1 clone. While some of the characters are a little similar, the theme is much different. First, fuel is no problem - the Autobots can presumably run on gas and diesel, and we'll be arranging an inexhaustible and unimposing fuel source for the Decepticons. Second, the focus is shifted more toward the humans, who we'd like to keep as part of the action without making things too political. Third, there's more realism involved. Nobody can fly in robot mode, for example, unless he has strategically placed jets on him.

For that reason, we unfortunately will have to center most of the action in the southwest US. Even if the Decepticons attacked other locations in the States like Washington or New York, it would take the Autobots almost two days to catch up with them. They'd be helpless if the Decepticons were to attack overseas.

Regarding the scale of the war, we're going to be trying to emphasize the robots in disguise aspect and keep the conflict from being too earth-shattering. Keep in mind there are only about fifteen Decepticons, and it only took a squadron of fighter jets to cripple the toughest of them. If they were to wage war on humanity and the Autobots at the same time, they wouldn't last very long.

Anyway, the poll seems to indicate a strong interest in the theme. We'll work on getting things started around this weekend. I'll post a list of characters once I get it coded up. We haven't finalized character limit rules yet, so it won't be ready for claims, but it'll give you something to mull over and time to research some of the more obscure characters.

optimusskids
2007-08-01, 06:53 PM
Still haven't seen the film but what would the Con's objectives be. If it was to destroy the Autobots i'd see them sticking in the same geographic region but if it was something els ewouldn't they just avoid them.

Also what are the limits on morphing.

Can bumblebee scan a Cessna and suddenly fly or is it more complicated?

Reflector
2007-08-01, 09:35 PM
I don't wanna give too about the film much away, but I'll say that the Decepticons won't be leaving Earth, and they won't be able to get much done until they've taken care of the Autobots.

As for morphing, the staff discussed it and we decided that it's going to be on an ask-for-permission basis. It's an ability that gets thrown around pretty loosely in the film, but we don't want to wind up with armies full of F-117s and nuclear subs and AT-ATs and what-have-you.

As for the science behind it, I'd like to think that each TF has a sort of aptitude toward a particular type of alt mode. Frenzy seems to be good at scanning commercial electronics, for example, but he'd probably have a hard time making himself into a tanker or a space shuttle. I think size would play a pretty substantial role in that selectivity since mass shifting isn't part of the mechanics this time around.

Anywho, I slapped up a forum with a list of available characters. Once we finalize the rules, I'll add those to the Rules thread, announce what the character limits will be and when the launch will be, and open things up for claims to start.

optimusskids
2007-08-01, 09:53 PM
I don't suppose you could put spoilers over the deceased characters in the sign up thread.

Maybe just temporarily.

Reflector
2007-08-01, 10:06 PM
Ach, shoulda done that sooner. The spoiler tag doesn't seem to hide links, so I marked it off with a bunch of exclamation points, bolded and underlined the "Dead" header, and shrunk the font. Hope that helps.

(Most of) the dead guys are still available for claims, by the way. But they'll still be dead at the beginning of the arc, so I want to keep them in their own group until they're revived.

Brave Maximus
2007-08-02, 03:45 AM
Looks really good :D
Glad to see the humans included.
Can I make a suggestion:

Perhaps putting up a warning as to when you're going to open up the character claims? (IE: July 32nd at 00:01) so everyone has the same time to claim characters?

I have one question though:
Since there is limited characters, would you entertain Fan characters when they run out? Just wondering

barricade818
2007-08-02, 06:46 AM
Just how many people are going to be playing this RP right of the bat. If it is not a lot, then maybe we can come up with a fair and reasonable way of claiming characters. Maybe something like a football draft. I've got my eye on Cliffjumper, but if I get beat to him, because I wasn't in front of my computer the moment it was posted, then I'll be pissed.

Clogs
2007-08-02, 08:57 PM
I'm with barricade818 - I think we should have some kind of option to state which character(s) we are interested in, thus giving the Mods some idea of the potential usage against limited numbers available. It might turn out only one role per user! Maybe open up the characters thread to test the response?

barricade818
2007-08-03, 01:42 AM
Since there are so little of characters, it is possible that some people may get stuck with a character that they don't like at all, or won't even play. So maybe we should all post the characters we are interested in. If a character is wanted by more than one person, then all the people who want to play as that character can submit some sort of application. Than we can leave it up to the mods to fairly choose who gets the character.

Mechafox
2007-08-03, 06:48 AM
That sound's reasonable, though I'd debate mass shifting in terms of the allspark shrinking, but that's beside the point. One idea I was entertaining was opening it up with some (not all) of the alternators, they seem to fit in reasonably given the story.

I also like the idea the idea of submitting desired characters, and letting the mods choose (since they've already made their claims). I reckon you should open it up for a week or two to take submissions, then come back to us with the roster.

Reflector
2007-08-03, 03:51 PM
Thanks for the advice, guys. The system I came up with was based mostly on your ideas and on playing statistics. (Flec == math nerd) Character claims are now open. Check out the thread in the Movie RPG forum for details.

Also, my claims are open to challenge too. I picked those guys because they'll be important figures in the early story. I'll be happy to let somebody else have them; I just want to see them played. The other mods' claims are technically open to challenge, but they're more attached to theirs than I am to mine. I doubt they'd vote themselves out... ;)

Warcry
2007-08-04, 05:17 AM
Honnestly, I forgot about the Prequal novel and the games, tbh - so, there is actually a bit to go on - so sorry for sounding so down - not my intention. I just wanted to air the fears that this might turn into a G1 clone.
The prequel novel deserves to be forgotten, so no worries on that account. ;)

Seriously, though, I agree with you. The things that make the Movie fun, to me are the things that make it stand out as unique from everything that went before it. I'll do my best, as a staffer and as a player, to make sure it stays unique. :)

But, I think the idea that the Decepticons don't care about the humans, the earth, etc at all, and were only there after one thing and then were going to bugger off is a great and refreshing take. On the other hand, it's quite limited as to where to go story wise. As far as Screamer knows - the Allspark and Megatron were destroyed. I'm sure they also got Prime's signal though. SO - are they going to attack earth in a mass attempt to wipe out the Autobots once and for all?
I think there's a very good chance that that'll be a part of it. The prequel novel, crap though it was, did a good job of painting a picture of the surviving TFs in a genocidal civil war that both sides know will only end when the other group is gone for good. Even if there was nothing else to fight for, I think the 'Cons would see killing the Autobots as an end in and of itself. :)

LA
Mission City. ;)

As it happens, the Decepticons took down global communications before the battle. That would make covering up the presence of TFs on Earth a fairly easy short-term proposition for the US government. Hiding it would only make things worse in the long run, though, because as you say the news would get out...and without knowing precisely what the giant robots that tore up the city were, people would start jumping to some alarming conclusions.

Which, when you stop to think about it, could be awesome.

Now, I'm not, in anyway, advocating this becoming a full on human RPG. Just that, IF players want to play one or two human characters (as I obviously am) then the option should be explored.
I fully agree with that. :) I just think that players who pick up a human may, over the long term, find it getting harder and harder to find realistic uses for them. That's less of an issue for the army guys (who, if nothing else, can fight alongside the Autobots) as it is for, say, Sam and Mikaela...it would be a challenge to find a way to keep those guys active without them getting squashed.

That said, I'd love to see anyone try it. :)

Originally posted by Clogs
Just one last point: The Allspark energy activates several machines, but all are quite brutal and would, on face value, seem to be Decepticons. Would it not be interesting to explore whether that is what the Allspark always made (to fight a monumental battle?) and how a peaceful civilisation came to be on Cybertron? This would mean all the Autobots were, at some point, Decepticons, and many might still be borderline.
I wouldn't call the newly-born machines Decepticons...they struck me as feral more than evil. I think barricade818 hit it right on the head; they're dropped into the middle of a world they don't understand, either imprisoned or in the middle of a battle, presumably without any of the usual basic TF mental programming installed into their brains. I'm not even sure I'd qualify them as people...they seemed more like dangerous mechanical animals to me.

It's relativly remote (looks about 50 miles from the nearest town - from my quick and very un-thourogh check), the bots can "splash down" in the lake behind it with limited collateral damage (though some Cybertronian re-enforcement of the dam itself might be needed).
You're trying to revive the grand old tradition of having newly-arrived Autobots fall out of the sky into the lake behind Autobase? Good on you! ;)

Since there is limited characters, would you entertain Fan characters when they run out? Just wondering
That's a bit of a sticky situation. Aside from the usual rules for fanmades, any Movie fanmades would have to adhere to the Movie aesthetics, and anyone who asked for one would have to give us a very good description of the guy's transformation scheme and robot-mode appearance so that other players would know what he looked like (preferably, draw it). And, well...unless your character is a repaint (or a slight redesign) of an existing Movie TF, that's a lot easier said than done.

That's not a 'no', but it means that it'd be quite a bit of work for anyone interested in doing it. :)

Originally posted by Mechafox
One idea I was entertaining was opening it up with some (not all) of the alternators, they seem to fit in reasonably given the story.
Just my opinion right now, but I'd say that the Alternators are way, way too G1 to fit in. I mean, we've even got a bunch of 'em running around in the G1 game right now.

Granted, that's mainly my fault... ;)

Originally posted by Reflector
The other mods' claims are technically open to challenge, but they're more attached to theirs than I am to mine. I doubt they'd vote themselves out...
Anyone who tries to talk me out of Skydive will be summarily executed. :D

Brave Maximus
2007-08-04, 06:57 AM
Warcry
Mission City. ;)

As it happens, the Decepticons took down global communications before the battle. That would make covering up the presence of TFs on Earth a fairly easy short-term proposition for the US government. Hiding it would only make things worse in the long run, though, because as you say the news would get out...and without knowing precisely what the giant robots that tore up the city were, people would start jumping to some alarming conclusions.

Which, when you stop to think about it, could be awesome.

:up: Zang!
Pretty much, who ever picks up Keller is going to have his hands full, and while he does have 2 world-class hackers at his disposal, and can try and stem the flow (a la *shivers* The Core), it will get out. And the more it becomes apparent that the US Government is hiding this, and the extent they've gone to (Comms black out, hiding info, cover-ups, pay-offs... etc) - well, unpleasentness - I like.

I fully agree with that. :) I just think that players who pick up a human may, over the long term, find it getting harder and harder to find realistic uses for them. That's less of an issue for the army guys (who, if nothing else, can fight alongside the Autobots) as it is for, say, Sam and Mikaela...it would be a challenge to find a way to keep those guys active without them getting squashed.

Heh, you managed to pick the two characters I'd dissagree with more than the others:
While Keller's role will be pretty much the same (Relations, cover-up, yelling occasionally), the hackers are going to have a bit harder of a time staying active in the game, apart from "We've discovered X" (though, working with wheeljack....) - as hackers (especially the ones over 300lbs) are not that adept at combat.
Sam demonstrated more than enough testicular fortitude to jump in the middle of things, dissobey... well pretty much anyone he didn't agree with and some pretty good deductive skills. While he's not up to the lvl of the military guys - I'm sure Prime, BB and Lenox would give him some skills to keep him from getting killed. But then again - isn't getting in over their head the job of the "main" human friend of the Autobots? (and "oh look, I found a tape deck in the middle of the desert. It's brand new, not a scratch, and works perfectly, What Luck!!! (http://www.lilformers.com/comic0012.php))
The girl (I can't remember how to spell her name, really) is going to have an even better time, as she already has useful skills, (not that ebay can't be useful): Hotwiring, lock-picking, mechanical skills, being really hot eye-candy....
Oh, and seriously agressive driving of a tow-truck, backwards no less - that's skillz ;)

You're trying to revive the grand old tradition of having newly-arrived Autobots fall out of the sky into the lake behind Autobase? Good on you! ;)

You know, I honnestly forgot all about that when I posted it - just thinking logically. Which is rather sad as I think I had 3 or 4 characters arrive that way.......

Now, all that being said: Yes, yes I am!

optimusskids
2007-08-06, 08:02 PM
How did the Autobot's infiltrate the military base or what happened to the vehicle they replaced and how do they get around someone wanting to service them

ie: "hey dwayne did we have 3 or 4 CH53 on base."

Warcry
2007-08-06, 08:34 PM
I figure they probably had someone hack the military network and forge orders assigning the new 'equipment' to the base. Fairly simple, if they could get someone to an access point.

I don't know how they'd get around humans wanting to service them, but they probably do the same thing that Starscream and Brawl did when they were sitting around on US military bases before they revealed themselves. ;)

optimusskids
2007-08-07, 12:06 PM
Good point

Anyone know what Evac's acessory is I'm thinking a life raft.

Anyone know what it does though is it a weapon , micromaster companion thing like Blackout and Scorponok. Although an air droppable life raft would be up there in the most useless alt mode stakes or just a Life Raft

Warcry
2007-08-09, 04:14 AM
According to the TF Wiki (http://transformers.wikia.com/wiki/Evac_%28Movie%29), it's a rescue thingamajigger that turns into a gun of some sort. :)