PDA

View Full Version : [Original RPG] Characters You couldn't Play

optimusskids
2007-10-18, 12:36 PM
Are there any characters in the transformers cannon you wouldn't be able to play.

I've been tempted by Slapdash but I can't see how you could keep playing him in character without his own team mates shooting him or something for the greater good.

Clogs
2007-10-18, 09:17 PM
No one wildly into violence as the be-all and end-all. I need a character to have motivation and meaning as well as a thonking big weapon, as it were. Possibly they must also have angst. I might just manage Runabout and Runamuck for the potential fun of it...

And it'd be hard - very hard - to play OP.

Warcry
2007-10-19, 04:39 AM
Optimus is impossible. I was constantly at a loss for the few months I ran him, and I was glad to get rid of him when I did.

Beyond that, I have a rough time running characters when I've seen someone else run them and do a very, very good job of it. Astrotrain is a good example. I've been running him for two years now and I still find myself thinking "would Quick Switch have done it this way" when I post with him.

Also, sometimes I'll pick up a character thinking that he's a great addition to my roster and then never be able to do anything with him. Chase is a good example...I had him for a couple months but never did anything with him because I just couldn't get a feel for the character.

secretcode
2007-10-19, 07:18 PM
I'd have to say people who just sit around in their offices or drinking in bars. Not intresting enough.

Heinrad
2008-02-17, 01:08 AM
Actually, Prime isn't that hard. It's getting his internal monologue that's hard.

For me, it's all about finding the character's voice. Try to do a mix of the toon Prime("I'm the leader of the good guys. Meteors bounce off of my massive torso."), and the comic and movie Prime("No matter what I do, this war won't end. All I want is peace.... which may be why I've got a revolving door in the Matrix......") for his interior monologue.

Of course, the voice can also cause problems. I probably can't run Megatron or Galvatron for the simple reason that while I like the comic incarnations of both, I mainly hear the toon voices for them, which means any plots/plans/etc that I'd have them come up with would wind up with the cliche supervillian "Heh, heh, heh". Given the fact that any serious villian can't slide back into the Snidely Whiplash/I'm so evil mode without losing any and all credibility, I'd suck out at running them.

God Jinrai
2008-03-18, 04:49 PM
oh, come on now rick... Granted, things ended up going rather sour in the end, I'd like to think Prime, for the most part was easier than even you say to run... for the better part of it. but then at times there'd be those dark moments when he'd be on the edge of despair, and folks would start to wonder if really, this was the same Optimus that had lead them from the start...

But you're right for certain... getting his internal mindset straight at times CAN be a real roughspot.

Blaster
2008-04-05, 08:15 AM
oh, come on now rick... Granted, things ended up going rather sour in the end, I'd like to think Prime, for the most part was easier than even you say to run... for the better part of it. but then at times there'd be those dark moments when he'd be on the edge of despair, and folks would start to wonder if really, this was the same Optimus that had lead them from the start...

But you're right for certain... getting his internal mindset straight at times CAN be a real roughspot.

You gave us Emotimus Prime =|