PDA

View Full Version : Ďthis is a Clue what we have found by patient detectoring,' said Sergeant Colon

Glitcher
2007-10-27, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Cliffjumper
Well done. Did you find it in the post just above yours? Top detectoring, Nobby...

I thought saysadie specifically said that snarky comments weren't allowed here. That could earn you a two week ban, should someone inform him.

Denyer
2007-10-27, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by Glitcher
I thought saysadie specifically said that snarky comments weren't allowed here. That could earn you a two week ban, should someone inform him. Roughly as likely as the sex change you seem to think she's had. Most of us prefer light sarcasm to officiously telling people to use the search function and read what's already been posted before posting.

Do feel free to keep prodding and backseat modding, though. It's mildly entertaining and other people have less patience than me...

secretcode
2007-10-27, 10:14 PM
I thought saysadie specifically said that snarky comments weren't allowed here. That could earn you a two week ban, should someone inform him.

Yeah, but it's Cliffy. It's in his nature. You'll learn to deal with it.

Glitcher
2007-10-27, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Maju Garzett
Yeah, but it's Cliffy. It's in his nature. You'll learn to deal with it.

Well, it's also in my nature to be sarcastic. I guess that means I'm excused, right?

Denyer
2007-10-27, 10:41 PM
Manage to not be so abrasive in the process, and sure. Remarkably few people have failed to find this balance in seven years.

edit: Twin Twist at TFW still has, to my mind, the best summary.

Sociopathic Autobot
2007-10-27, 11:54 PM
Well, it's also in my nature to be sarcastic. I guess that means I'm excused, right?

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y127/SociopathicAutobot/1178335064515.jpg

Hound
2007-10-28, 05:23 AM
Originally posted by Denyer
It's mildly entertaining and other people have less patience than me... I have much less patience... :eyebrow:

See ya in a week!

Cliffjumper
2007-10-28, 01:38 PM
As a clarification...

Well done. Did you find it in the post just above yours? Top detectoring, Nobby... (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nobby_Nobbs)

PresidentSEARS
2007-10-28, 01:44 PM
Obviously I'm not on about the red mirage.
There are two figures apart from convoy there doof!

martyboy70
2007-10-28, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by zigzagger
RED!!! (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330175990338&ssPageName=MERC_VI_RSCC_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT&refitem=330180168796&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=active_view_item&usedrule1=StoreCatToStoreCat&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget)

This has to be one of the neatest knock-offs that I've seen in quite some time. A red freakin' Mirage. I had heard rumors about it, but I wasn't sure one would actually be made.
What a wonderful homage to the rather rare Diaclone figure. I must nab one of these at some point
And for those who don't know what I'm ranting about, it originally came with the Powered Convoy DX Giftset (http://www.geocities.com/anacacho_firefly/1bigp1.jpg)

All of which is covered in the thread I linked to for Maju above.
My Deja vu sensors are in danger of overloading

zigzagger
2007-10-28, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by martyboy70
All of which is covered in the thread I linked to for Maju above.
My Deja vu sensors are in danger of overloading
I noticed that, smart ass.
And now I am reacting to it in this thread, since it was provided here. What's the problem?

martyboy70
2007-10-29, 12:26 AM
Just seems a bit of a waste of time and surplus to requirements to put almost exactly what I posted in another thread especially when I also linked to the relevant thread.
And what happened to the no insults policy?
I would have expected better from a mod

secretcode
2007-10-29, 12:30 AM
Just seems a bit of a waste of time and surplus to requirements to put almost exactly what I posted in another thread especially when I also linked to the relevant thread.

Did you not just see what happened to Glitcher? The mods have plenty of Grues to go around. Why do you think I've been acting (moderately) better lately?

martyboy70
2007-10-29, 12:39 AM
Did you not just see what happened to Glitcher? The mods have plenty of Grues to go around. Why do you think I've been acting (moderately) better lately?

I know I've had one before and we really need to get these sarcasm tags we spoke about introducing recently as on a 1-10 scale of insults a smart ass probably rates about a 0.2

Clay
2007-10-29, 12:42 AM

Light prodding is generally fine if it's used sparingly. It's tricky as to where to draw the line of where it becomes not-okay, so we usually wait until someone is noticeably past it before taking action.

As for Ziggy's post, what's wrong with him commenting on the bootlegged red mirage in the thread about bootlegs?

Denyer
2007-10-29, 12:43 AM
Forum mods have little to do with the grue apart from sharing sleeping quarters.

what happened to the no insults policy? Six of one, half a dozen of the other. There's no call/need to start poking someone for posting about KOs in a thread about them, whilst you were posting about them in a thread about official reissues.

Actually, might as well bring that conversation over here.

martyboy70
2007-10-29, 01:18 AM
Just for clarification the bit about insults was a bit of sarcasm,I'm not about to spit my dummy at being called something as harmless as smartass.

I only posted the stuff in the Encore thread because someone specifically asked if anyone had any info on the KO Mirage thatwas promised months ago

PresidentSEARS
2007-10-29, 01:36 AM
Well then, what was the need to start bitching?

martyboy70
2007-10-29, 01:38 AM
ah forget it:wall:

Denyer
2007-10-29, 07:42 AM
Did you not just see what happened to Glitcher? Incidentally, if he or she is reading, registering an account to circumvent a ban has usually ended up with whoever it is permanently banned.

We have a forum for account issues:
http://tfarchive.com/community/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=56

Or at least three admins have public site email addresses, though they're not really reliable given the volume of spam having them public generates.

Glitcher 2.0
2007-10-29, 04:55 PM
Actually, I didnít register a new account to circumvent the ban. I registered in order to send a PM to saysadie. Her account doesnít accept emails, and you stated anyway that itís difficult to contact admins that way with spam filters on. (And Iím a he, BTW.)

I wrote to ask for her presence as a mediator in this whole debacle. Iím not getting a fair hearing when itís clear that the moderators can ban me at will. Itís equally unfair when that ban was the result of criticism towards Cliffjumper (criticism, be it noted, not flames or snarky jibes) for disrespecting saysadieís earlier statement. My post was direct and without sarcasm, and just because Iím not a mod does not make my post any less valid. Moreover, itís forum etiquette for any member to report occurrences of the rules being broken, so I fail to see why I was banned when I broke no rules myself.

Up to this point, I think this whole argument revolves around my concern that the moderators are not treating members who are not on their level with the same friendliness and courtesy as they expect for themselves. Truthfully, if I had wrote this...

Well done. Did you find it in the post just above yours? Top detectoring, Nobby...

... to one of the moderators, itís clear that I would have been banned immediately for it. The fact that Cliffjumper can write it towards a non-mod and have it dismissed as ďitís just in his natureĒ is a testament to the forumís lack of equality. I shouldnít have to tell you this, but the forum rules need to be followed by everyone, moderators or otherwise. I also acknowledge that the rules can be subject to change, but itís common sense to make sure that everyone is aware of that change. If sarky comments are permitted towards other members, say so now. If sarky comments are not permitted towards other members, say so now. I just want to be sure that everyone here respects that rule. With that adhered to, cooperation will come of itself. Is that something we can all agree upon?

secretcode
2007-10-29, 05:06 PM
:wall: :wall: :wall:

Good luck with the next grue. You pretty much defeated the purpose of a ban by making a new account. The whole purpose of a ban is to keep you from posting. You made a new account with a very simular name in order to "only contact saysadie" and yet you decide to post in the forums?

*sigh* Am I like this?

EDIT: Hey mods! CATCH!
http://homepage.mac.com/demonhood/banhammer2.jpg

Glitcher 2.0
2007-10-29, 05:18 PM
You pretty much defeated the purpose of a ban by making a new account. The whole purpose of a ban is to keep you from posting.

Originally posted by Glitcher 2.0
I wrote to ask for her presence as a mediator in this whole debacle. Iím not getting a fair hearing when itís clear that the moderators can ban me at will.

Clay
2007-10-29, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Glitcher 2.0
My post was direct and without sarcasm, and just because Iím not a mod does not make my post any less valid.

It has nothing to do with you not being a moderator, and everything to do with you being passive/aggressive with a chip on your shoulder, and your conduct here taken as a whole. Your second post here was that updates don't happen enough, members' contributions are ignored, blah blah blah, and you still don't realize that this place is one big volunteer effort by everyone. Stuff gets done when it gets done. Chastising the people that try to keep this place running from the get-go casts you in an antagonistic role from the very beginning.

Truthfully, if I had wrote this...
... to one of the moderators, itís clear that I would have been banned immediately for it.

No. Martyboy70, just a few posts above that, was poking Ziggy, and he was not, nor will be, banned for it because he's been here long enough for us to know that he's not like that all the time.

There's a difference between being occasionally grouchy and being bare-bones abrasive all the time. Your conduct as a whole has pretty well cast yourself in the latter in the time you've been here.

Denyer
2007-10-29, 06:47 PM
Glitcher: registered in order to send a PM
Which is circumventing a ban. I'm having difficulty believing anyone's really that oblivious, and oblivious enough again to continue here trying to get the last word in rather than start a thread in the forum indicated.

Glitcher: itís forum etiquette for any member to report occurrences of the rules being broken
There's a link underneath every post. The forum rules are here (http://www.tfarchive.com/community/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23055) where I left 'em.

Except I'm guessing you don't want to use the "report post" function because it doesn't allow you public attention, and you share the suspicion that the guy who runs this place gave up reading messages back when you were harping on about Clay not getting toy reviews up quickly enough for taste. Burned bridges and all that.

Glitcher: The fact that Cliffjumper can write it towards a non-mod and have it dismissed as ďitís just in his natureĒ [...] just because I'm not a mod does not make my post any less valid
Means that Maju doesn't know people here and/or catch the Pratchett reference. Cliffy's been a mod for a whole... let's see... a couple of weeks now. Most of the preceding five years involved him being quite argumentative and "getting away with it" (and variously being edited, blocked and banned) because of the calls in each case.

There's a fair amount of backseat moderating here, which is actively encouraged when people make reasonable assessments and aren't unjustifiably hostile about putting them across. Your previous postings in this area have come across as sniping, and sympathy has disappeared in proportion to the officiousness of tone and swipes at people.

Glitcher: Truthfully, if I had wrote this to one of the moderators, itís clear that I would have been banned immediately for it.
Because you've previously been warned about poking at the individuals concerned, and kept doing it.

The rules aren't there for posters to find loopholes in, so that they can keep up a steady litany of...

-----
Shouldn't that be of greater concern to you
-----
Does that mean if I write reviews that bash all the Transformers that everyone loves, they'll be uploaded?
-----
Your attitude makes you more liable to lose your position than me.
Better watch your attitude in future.
Think before you speak next time.
-----
Doesn't the first post state that the deadline for reviews is two weeks? *tsk tsk*
-----

...basically, you took most of the opportunities you had to be a cock, and ran with them.

Maju: You made a new account with a very simular name in order to "only contact saysadie" and yet you decide to post in the forums?

*sigh* Am I like this?No, thankfully.

Thread dicing into the other forum coming up once I've made some more coffee...

inflatable dalek
2007-10-29, 08:17 PM
Plus, your plan to plea to Sadie was made under the false assumption that the Mods are not all in regular contact with each other about these things. You were banned with the full consent of the entire staff both times (well three times now. I'm sure they'll be another along in a second...)

Cliffjumper
2007-10-29, 08:21 PM
Six Years. January '01. It was the Quicksilver thing.

Denyer
2007-10-29, 08:26 PM
Fixed. Ish. Probably about a week out?

zigzagger
2007-10-29, 08:40 PM
What I don't quite understand is why some folks, past and present, believe that moderators can ban members on a whim. Under rare circumstances have I seen members immediately banned for being a nuisance without at least a warning prior or five, and usually when that happens is under extreme circumstances (i.e. offensive content like the eel post...and don't ask).Generally, from what I have seen (and some members may see it differently) moderators have been rather lenient and let multiple incidents slide before a temp or permanent ban actually takes place.

Halfshell
2007-10-29, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by inflatable dalek
Plus, your plan to plea to Sadie was made under the false assumption that the Mods are not all in regular contact with each other about these things.

Aye. Playing us off against each other doesn't work. For we are as one mind.

One heart.

One soul.

One vision.

inflatable dalek
2007-10-29, 08:44 PM
Gimme gimme gimme gimme fried chicken

Denyer
2007-10-29, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by zigzagger
Generally, from what I have seen

Ah, but becoming staff forces an alignment change to Lawful or Neutral Evil.

Halfshell
2007-10-29, 08:51 PM
Somebody always comes along and posts after the Queen gag.

Ah, but becoming staff forces an alignment change to Lawful or Neutral Evil.

It's not unlike discovering you're a Cylon. Crisis of conscience, followed by the inevitable urge to kill everybody...

inflatable dalek
2007-10-29, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by Halfshell
Somebody always comes along and posts after the Queen gag.

Well by jimmeny I'll keep making it till they don't. If there's one thing we can learn from Glitcher it's that trying to get the last word always works.

Cliffjumper
2007-10-29, 08:57 PM
Fixed. Ish. Probably about a week out?

Awesome. Cheers!

I think I registered on something like the 31st, and spent a day or so lurking, before launching into classics such as "Are half the pages missing from the scans of the Underbase Saga?"/"Anyone got the second half of G2?"...

inflatable dalek
2007-10-29, 09:00 PM
A
I think I registered on something like the 31st, and spent a day or so lurking, before launching into classics such as "Are half the pages missing from the scans of the Underbase Saga?"

Surely the question should have been "Why aren't the other half missing as well"?

Denyer
2007-10-29, 09:04 PM
I think I registered on something like the 31st, December or January? Assuming Jan as IIRC that's what the UBB reported in threads... but it wasn't the most reliable codebase in existence...

Cliffjumper
2007-10-29, 09:11 PM
December or January? Assuming Jan as IIRC that's what the UBB reported in threads... but it wasn't the most reliable codebase in existence...

January... Yeh, I've got a couple of old threads somewhere. I seem to recall that the only (simple) way of changing username was to re-register and ask nicely for someone to wipe the old account... I think even sending across my post count wasn't simple, let alone sorting the joined date.

Denyer
2007-10-29, 09:22 PM
That version of UBB was actually easy enough to do stuff with (I "took one apart" when TransFans moved domains) but I don't think there was provision to do things through the software -- it would've been a case of editing parts of the flatfile database directly, and FTP access. Not really any wonder Sky didn't want people switching, besides the hassle of people getting used to new names all the time.

Cliffjumper
2007-10-29, 09:26 PM
I do seem to remember something about having to take the database off-line to edit it being said to Claypool. Maybe it was just to fob him off, though...

Denyer
2007-10-29, 09:36 PM
Since there's no real process locking/queuing in a system like that, there's a small possibility of things going pear-shaped in the interval during which files are overwritten. Pear-shaped in what way, pass. I seem to recall UBB was written in Perl... ah, yes...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultimate_Bulletin_Board

Halfshell
2007-10-29, 09:39 PM
Maybe it was just to fob him off, though...

Sounds plausible...