PDA

View Full Version : Credit for images/info taken from others site without prior permission?

Bermuda Mohawk
2007-11-08, 06:25 AM
What is the rule on here about adding credit where due for images taken from other sites without any prior consulting? (and of course having all logos, and url watermarks removed to hide it)

Am I being naive to think there is such a rule here?

inflatable dalek
2007-11-08, 08:17 AM
Usually the original poster gives credit where credit is due. I can't think of any instances of anyone removing watermarks...

Cliffjumper
2007-11-08, 02:03 PM
If you tell us which images are the problem, we might be able to drum up a better answer :) I'm guessing it's a toy from one of your listings, yeh?

Denyer
2007-11-08, 04:34 PM
It can be tricky to prove ownership of photos, since someone could equally have taken the same original and added their watermark/logo. And quite a lot of things that tend to get watermarked on websites (eg, episode stills) the person marking them has no claim to.

Most images linked to from the forums aren't hosted here.

More info? Certainly nothing on the site's intentionally uncredited.

Bermuda Mohawk
2007-11-09, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by Cliffjumper
If you tell us which images are the problem, we might be able to drum up a better answer :) I'm guessing it's a toy from one of your listings, yeh?

It's actually portions of the archived Japanese manga photos on the site that have been cropped in ways to hide not only the watermarks, but also information about the origin of the images themselves.

Here is an examble:
http://www.tfarchive.com/comics/japanese/opcom2/01_GuardCityTech2.jpg

See the upper left cornor? There should be a logo there that you can just make out the bottom of. There should also have been a surrounding border wth the url, and origin of the scan, the same as some other poics in that section. I have not had time to look over the other sections.

secretcode
2007-11-09, 06:31 PM
...but please tell me you have links of the un-doctored pics. It would pobably be better if you did.

Denyer
2007-11-09, 06:35 PM
I think it'd fall under the fact old official content (covers, articles, etc) doesn't belong to the person scanning or making screenshots. (I was against watermarking these (http://tfarchive.com/cartoons/wallpapers/) too, despite them coming direct from an official source.) Though again it can be hard to prove who scanned what, who took someone else's scans and branded them, etc.

Nothing's had identifying information cropped out by me. There's a good chance some things people've sent (particularly low-quality scans, as anything done on a modern scanner in the last few years would be sharper, saved with less JPEG compression, etc) are salvage from old sites that disappeared or went offline in the past. Hopefully nothing's been submitted that was from another site that was live at the time, as that'd be plain rude.

Would be happy to attach a name credit and link, and if someone else turns up claiming that they scanned it, that bridge can be crossed then...

Originally posted by Maju Garzett
please tell me you have links of the un-doctored pics. It would pobably be better if you did.
Likewise no offence, but leave this to the handful of involveds who do stuff for the main site or have FTP access on the server, 'k? Thanks.