PDA

View Full Version : Closing account

swampflight
2007-12-21, 11:15 AM
How do I delete my account?

Denyer
2007-12-21, 03:12 PM
Not aware of any forum system that gives users that ability.

swampflight
2007-12-21, 11:38 PM
What I'm looking for is any info on how to close my account from my computer.Thanx.

Denyer
2007-12-22, 12:28 AM
If you mean delete cookies, there's a log-out link up there just underneath the ad banner, next to Chat and Search --

http://tfarchive.com/community/member.php?s=&action=logout

slartibartfast
2007-12-27, 11:40 AM
Please release me, let me go,
For I don't love you anymore.
To live a lie would be a sin.
Release me and let me love again.

I have found a new love, dear.
And I will always want her near.
Her lips are warm where yours are cold.
Release me, darling, let me go.

[/Engelbert Humperdinck]

swampflight
2007-12-28, 10:52 AM
Are you telling me that once someone opens an account on this website that it cannot be closed out in any way?If thats the case,this info should be posted at the register screen.

Cliffjumper
2007-12-28, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by swampflight
Are you telling me that once someone opens an account on this website that it cannot be closed out in any way?If thats the case,this info should be posted at the register screen.

Well, it's kinda obvious. What you do if you don't want the account is you just don't come here any more. It's not like we're charging you or anything...

slartibartfast
2007-12-28, 06:52 PM
@swampflight : Haven't tried it, but you could change the e-mail tied into the account to one you don't use much. That just leaves your IP adress, which you leave pretty much everywhere you go on the internet...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2001/11/14/doityourself_internet_anonymity/

If you fancy a read :)

edit : for that extra lynx effect, you can edit your posts and delete the text. not very curteous though.

Denyer
2007-12-28, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by swampflight
Are you telling me that once someone opens an account on this website that it cannot be closed out in any way? I have accounts I haven't logged into for years at maybe a couple of hundred of sites over the last decade or so. A considered longterm approach is to use a domain name and turn aliases on it on and off as required, or use otherwise disposable addresses.

(For those particularly concerned about privacy, don't think that, say, deleting mail in Gmail actually deletes it, or that information isn't retained when shutting down other accounts.)

The most practical option in most cases, as slarti says, is to blank details and change an associated address to a non-existent one.

I can nuke accounts, it just seems a bit pointless here... and doesn't affect the existence of data in old server backups thousands of miles away.

Halfshell
2007-12-29, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Cliffjumper
It's not like we're charging you or anything...

... wait. So... where does my salary come from?

Cliffjumper
2007-12-29, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by Halfshell
... wait. So... where does my salary come from?

An off-shore account. Don't try to perceive the scaffolding, it'll come tumbling down.