PDA

View Full Version : Transformers: Devastation #1-6/TPB

zigzagger
2007-09-17, 11:33 AM
It's coming folks.
After four months of waiting, Devastation #1 is upon us. This is your all purpose Devastation thread for you to rejoice or mourn in (hopefully the former).

As far as IDW is concerned it is set for release September 19th. Still no word from diamond comics to confirm this.
http://idwpublishing.com/newreleases-upcoming.shtml

Preview pages:
http://tfarchive.com/comics/idw/previews.php?dgallery=browse&page=devastation

Nevermore
2007-09-17, 10:27 PM
Looking forward to this one. :)

Philister
2007-09-18, 08:04 AM
The short preview we saw in the Optimus Prime spotlight really got me hyped about this one. The Autobots finally getting proactive on Earth instead of simply standing around and reacting while their people are picked off one by one.

zigzagger
2007-09-18, 09:56 AM
Not to crush anyone's hopes, but this still has not been listed/confirmed to ship this week according to diamond comics' shipping schedule, or anyone else (mostly) for that matter other than IDW.
IDW dates more often than not are generally tentative and are sometimes off a week or two (look how long the two Beast Wars titles have been delayed).
This may mean nothing, though it's looking as if this won't see release this week....and possibly next week as well (diamond does not have it listed for the following week either, though this is subject to change of course, with updates made every Monday).
But, once again, this could mean nothing.

Denyer
2007-09-18, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by zigzagger
diamond does not have it listed for the following week either Diamond's "week ahead" listings are pretty much worthless.

For reasons best known only to Diamond, CNI usually have a more up-to-date copy of the "this week" Diamond shipping lists online than Diamond's site. It's not there, so unless it's been confirmed to retailers (rare, but sometimes happens) it isn't shipping this week.

Based on the couple of months I wasn't looking, reckon we should continue to report the IDW site-listed dates, or is the number of times they're off too likely to mislead and have people going to comic shops fruitlessly?

AskShockwave
2007-09-18, 08:25 PM
Rather, rather excited about this one. Like it's a very small christmas. I think it might be over-exposure to TFvsThe Avengers, mind. Here's hoping the Reapers keep out of it.

Unicron
2007-09-19, 01:41 PM
According to IDW's Upcoming Releases list, Devastation #1 is now coming out on October 3rd, along with Beast Wars: The Ascending #1 and Beast Wars Sourcebook #1.

And Devastation #2 is set for October 10th.

inflatable dalek
2007-09-19, 06:39 PM
Still, on the plus side it gives me a bit more leeway to get up to date with the reviews. Horah!

zigzagger
2007-09-19, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by Unicron
And Devastation #2 is set for October 10th.
Hmmm, I doubt that, it just hasn't been updated yet (remember kids: IDW's dates are generally tentative and, dare I say it, at times unreliable). Chances are that it will be pushed to the last week of October or the first week of November.

AskShockwave
2007-09-20, 12:46 PM
Anyone have any idea what's happening to the series post-Devastation? It seems to work quite well coming in six part sub-arcs, and it'd be good to see Su and Furman continue. Mind you, I'm not really sure how well Transformers is doing for IDW in terms of sales, though I guess with the new raft of spolights there's the insinuation that the continuity will continue in some way.

Denyer
2007-09-20, 12:49 PM
The next arc is titled Revelation, IIRC.

Aardvark
2007-09-20, 12:59 PM
Which, in turn, will be followed by Expansion.

[Insert "I wonder if Erector will be in it LOL" joke here]

inflatable dalek
2007-09-20, 01:28 PM
Big Daddy surely.

zigzagger
2007-10-01, 02:48 AM
You need confirmation, or something close enough?! I got some right here;
http://comicnewsi.com/article.php?catid=223&itemid=10452
Transformers: Beast Wars Ė The Ascending #1-$3.99
Transformers: Beast Wars Sourcebook #1 (Of 3)-$6.99
Transformers: Devastation #1-$3.99
October 3rd it is.

zigzagger
2007-10-03, 10:55 PM
First things first....
Devastation #1 was a bit of a cameo/first-appearance-in-the-main arc-palooza. Well, sort of. I suppose it could be interpreted as both a good and/or bad thing. Certainly nothing like the gratuitous and idiotic appearances in Megatron: Origin #3, simply due to the fact that Ravage, Ratbat, Starscream, Hound, Sideswipe, and Sixshot appearances are actually relevant to the plot rather than fan-wanking over the pages. So, yeah, it didn't bother me in the slightest. With that said, it seems that the Autobot forces on Earth has steadily increased (with Ironhide and Sunstreaker MIA), for very obvious reasons. In the same note, this concerns me. Will the newly introduced and/ or older characters serve as cannon fodder in order to whittle the roster down to size? Too soon to say. It's a personal concern of mine of course, I'm just hoping Furman and co. won't resort to this comicbook cliche so soon in the game.

Then there's Megatron, who apparently is still smarting after the encounter in Brasnya. Not so much as a gripe but more so a pity. I was getting use to the Megatron that Prime described as once being "measured, calm,and controlled" back in Escalation #5, but instead we get the other half of that same conversation, a "raging braggart seemingly hell-bent, yadda, yadda, yadda." Though it hasn't been explictly described, is it safe to assume that his exposure to Ore-13 has caused this behavioral shift? It certainly has the members of the Decepticon Infiltration unit concerned enough to stir Starscream from stasis lock. Sixshot's brief pause followed by "Okay" in response to Megatron's orders is a telling statement of this as well. Given the circumstances, Starscream's return could be a whole lot of fun, actually. A brief shake-up of the Decepticon status quo would be amusing. We didn't get much Screamer development back in Infiltration, so I, surprisingly, am looking forward to seeing him in action again.

Meanwhile, on the Autobot side of things; gradually, I have grown quite fond of Nightbeat. His powers of deduction (etc) are similar to that of his Marvel counterpart, which, personally, I feel is not a bad thing at all. His encounter on Gorlam Prime and his possible betrayal during Escalation #6 simply make this Marvel-esque Nightbeat all the more richer - and in all honestly, I thought the Marvel Nightbeat was a lot of fun...minus the fedora and a trench coat. Optimus is still the impartial type that we've come to expect in this continuity, which is lovely. Though, his seemingly lack of concern that Thunderwing's body had been stolen by a certain zombified, purple, and grey mechanoid was a bit strange, considering that Prime has stated his fear of Thunderwing in the past - "Oh, don't worry about it, guys. Come on down to Earth now, Jetfire will sort it out!".

Was it worth the wait? Eh, sure, I guess so. The issue is fast passed, which should please a lot of folks who didn't care for the drawn-out/unfolding exposition of Infiltration. It's not bad, really. I suppose this is nice place to kick things off. Though, personally, going by all cliffhangers and newly surfacing developments (the Ark 19 being shot down by Sixshot, the 6 Decepticons conspiring against Megatron, etc), Devastation #1 almost felt like the conclusion for Escalation that we should of have (a sort of inside joke, never you mind - ziggy) ended up with. Of course, that would completely bypass Spotlight: Optimus Prime and Spotlight: Galvatron, so nevermind. True, we essentially got the standard villain shaking his fist to the air while screaming "I'll get them next time" sort of ending in Escalation #6...but Devastation #1 just felt so much more satisfying to me (now there's an innuendo if I ever heard one - ba-doom, tsss!).
After a long summer of Transformers hit-or-misses, I'm satisfied for now.
3.9 out of 5

Commander Shockwav
2007-10-04, 01:28 AM
Strong issue, really enjoyed it.

I would say of the Infiltration/Escalation/Devestation series, it's probably one of my favorite thus far, mainly because the story seems to be moving forward now.

After thirteen issues, it is absolutely critical that things really pick up and subplots get concluded. So I was pleased to see the Ark-19 take off, and I anticipate the story itself is about to too.

One of the benefits of sticking with something this long is we get some character development that can't happen in just a few issues. Characters like Prowl, Ratchet, Ironhide, Sunstreaker, etc. have been given ample time to develop, which allows Simon more room to grow the cast somewhat. Looks like Sideswipe and Hound's group will be joining the fray, and I'm okay with that because Simon was given ample opportunity to flesh out the original bots in these past two series.

What I didn't like? Well, I still don't like Simon's portrayal of Sixshot, a bot I always felt should have been the silent, deadly type. Here, he's talkative, like most of Furman's characters. Even classically quiet abrupt bots like Omega Supreme and Soundwave have been given verbose characterization in this continuity thus far. I feel this "cookie-cutter" dialogue trap detracts from individualization.

Ratbat was a surprise. Here's to hoping his current persona jives with Holmes' from the Megatron Origin.

Artwise, I was a bit disappointed with the faces. They are tending to look somewhat two dimensional.

Overall, a solid "A-" issue for me. Looking forward to the next issue, which thankfully isn't but two weeks away!

*nice review, by the way, zigzagger

inflatable dalek
2007-10-06, 06:33 AM
Unlike the BW books I was impressed enough with this to wait till I got some sleep before posting on it...

It might be the lack luster Summer we've had (nothing came over average, and a lot of titles were cack) making this seem better than it perhaps is- But I liked it a lot. Though I can't decide if giving two pages over to Nightbeat explaining the story so far to people that already know it was a good concesion for new readers or completely pointless considering there's a "Previously on" page.

Oh, and considering Sixshot's supposed to have enough power to destroy hole planets no one should surrvive that explosion.

Halfshell
2007-10-08, 07:48 AM
Have we established that one blast is enough to destroy whole planets??? He trashes worlds by virtue of being an unstoppable tour de force of carnage, he's not Dark Phoenix...

Originally posted by Commander Shockwav
Ratbat was a surprise. Here's to hoping his current persona jives with Holmes' from the Megatron Origin.

Let's hope it doesn't. The more I can ignore of Origin, the better.

Anywho. Really really enjoyed the issue. Things happen! Lots of things happen! And one of the most dramatic cliffhangers in recent TF comic memory.

Though I'm not quite sure why Ravage is howling like a dog, now...

inflatable dalek
2007-10-08, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by Halfshell
Have we established that one blast is enough to destroy whole planets??? He trashes worlds by virtue of being an unstoppable tour de force of carnage, he's not Dark Phoenix...

Nope, but if he's got the power to trash planets in just a few days single handedly (six wasn't it?) one blast should be more than enough to take out a ickle little shuttle I would have thought.

Though I'm not quite sure why Ravage is howling like a dog, now...

Has Ravage actually shown any capacity for speech in his prior IDW appearences?

Red Dave Prime
2007-10-08, 07:23 PM
Rat Bat doesnt look like he'll link up at all with the megatron origins version.

Art work did feel a little flat at points didnt it? Cant quite put my finger on why (altough I loved the early morning colouring)

Megatron looks to be a little unhinged. Certainly compared to the stormbringer & infiltration performance.

The human characters are useless. Really dont know what purpose they serve at this point. They've had no development and seem like a-typical kid characters from superhero cartoons. I thought the humans were to give the sense of scale to the mechs, not moan at them.

On an overall point to IDWs take on transformers, how does the power structure work (not who's in command but who is the most powerful)? Sixshot seems reverred as the ultimate weapon, but he wasn't even considered to take on thunderwing. Megatron was displayed as a super mech in infiltration but despite being consumed with rage he lets Sixshot do the damage. Shockwave was able to take down the dinobots (seemingly twice), Galvatron looks immune to damage and can take down an autobot squad easy enough. And then theres thunderwing. And what do the autobots have?

Optimus (of course). Omega's either a bit of a coward or a bit tired. At the moment, he's also a wreck. And thats it.

I'd say Optimus is praying for Fortress Maximus to appear quicker then in the next 3 spotlights...

Halfshell
2007-10-08, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by inflatable dalek
Nope, but if he's got the power to trash planets in just a few days single handedly (six wasn't it?) one blast should be more than enough to take out a ickle little shuttle I would have thought.

Sixshot trashes planets as part of phase six. In short, ones that the Decepticons have pretty much already sucked dry. He's the sterilisation team... coming in to make sure nothing survived.

An ickle little shuttle? Yeah, one that's can house probably about a dozen robots his size. It's got some heft to it... and he trashed it. In one blast. It's not like he clipped it with a laser and caused it to go reeling a bit. With one shot he knocked the ****er clean out of the sky.

Not even the Nemesis managed that.

Has Ravage actually shown any capacity for speech in his prior IDW appearences?

He was fairly chatty in the Soundwave spotlight. But even under Skywatch's brainwashing, he's a cat.

zigzagger
2007-10-08, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by Red Dave Prime
On an overall point to IDWs take on transformers, how does the power structure work (not who's in command but who is the most powerful)?

It's interesting that you mention power dynamics (etc), even if you probably meant it in a slightly different context. Honestly, it's my personal belief that half the reason these "powerful" Decepticon's (as well as a few trouble makers) have been gradually, and deliberately by Furman, introduced for other purposes other than to give the Autobot's grief. Shockwave and Soundwave both ploted behind Megatron's back, Starscream is, well, same ol' Starscream so 'nuff said, and though Galvatron's motivations are still a bit unclear for the moment, I don't see him bowing down to anyone...plus, he stole Thunderwing's body. Compounded with the the other six 'Cons in the infiltration unit, things aren't looking too good for Megatron as well. This is all speculative, of course, but Furman's intentions occasionally haven't always been well concealed in the past, it kind of seems like he's setting up for a big power struggle.

Could be wrong, though.

Halfshell
2007-10-08, 09:51 PM
Galvatron's not a Decepticon.

And his motivations are essentially "do as his noodly master instructs."

zigzagger
2007-10-08, 09:57 PM
Okay, I guess that does rule out Galvatron. Plus, there's no indication when or how he'll play into the main story (I think he's supposed to show up around Revelation, anyway).
Also, Sixshot, at the moment, seems loyal to Megatron, so that sort rules out the others too...maybe.

inflatable dalek
2007-10-09, 05:48 AM

He was fairly chatty in the Soundwave spotlight. But even under Skywatch's brainwashing, he's a cat.

Errr, he never actually bothered to learn English and he is in fact speaking Cybertronian which just happens to sound like dog barks?

Nevermore
2007-10-09, 03:06 PM
Solid issue. Good writing, decent pacing, memorable character bits and some pretty neat visuals. More of that, please. :)

Denyer
2007-10-13, 04:40 PM
Finally got here, well worth the wait...

Woo. Lots of players active, with even more set to be!

Favourite thing is that after the Sixshot spotlight we get some interactive characterisation for him. And he's flip. He casually back-chats Megatron.

Likewise Prime... he's sensitive to the concerns of fellow Autobots, but goes through the hierarchy (in this case Hound) to follow up on things. It's a good way to reinforce his handling of the Prowl/Ratchet situation: he'll take action whilst not undermining.

Ratbat was a good page-turning surprise, especially the "back" button obvious on the previous page's panel.

Plus a cliffhanger, lineart preview and links to Spotlight: Hot Rod. Feels like I'm being individually pandered to... :)

Terome
2007-10-15, 10:56 AM
Hooray! We're back on form, and how. Furman is writing his little heart out, EJ Su is going from strength to strength and the colouring seems to have settled down to a consistent quality. I'm not entirely convinced by Astrotrain's reasons to sabotage Megatron's whims, but I like the fact that he's smart enough to get Starscream to take the damage.

Here's hoping that Sixshot cuts some of the fat from the Ark-19 crew. He needs to live up to some of that menace that's been very heavily cultivated. I'm guessing, though, that issue #2 is going to mostly be about Hot Rod and Wheeljack and we'll have to wait a while to see a lot of what's happening Knoxville. It is Transformer Fact, though, that no one ever dies in a crash.

zigzagger
2007-10-22, 12:45 AM
This is your all purpose Devastation #2 reaction thread, here to be showered with your praise or your venom. Following the previous issue's cliffhanger, no doubt at least some of you are looking forward to this one.

Scheduled to ship October 24th as far as CNI is concerned.
http://comicnewsi.com/article.php?catid=223&itemid=10578
Date is subject to change, so stay tuned!

EDIT: diamondcomics also have it scheduled for the 24th along with Megatron: Origin #4.
http://www.diamondcomics.com/shipping/shipping_102407.txt

Preview pages:
http://tfarchive.com/comics/idw/previews.php?dgallery=browse&page=devastation

inflatable dalek
2007-10-22, 07:01 PM
One thing that just occured to me: Surely when they left Brasnya the Autobots and Decepticons all orbital bounced/teleported away. How is Ravage going to follow a scent anywhere?

Denyer
2007-10-22, 07:12 PM
Metaphor?

The huge power usage of orbital bounce presumably has side-effects that might be trackable or provide a direction: affect on ozone, for instance.

Terome
2007-10-22, 07:14 PM
Isn't the idea behind animal tracking that you introduce the scent to the hound then get it to track that same scent elsewhere? They'll probably loose him discretely in Springfield or wherever else Transformers have been seen.

That, or Ravage has built-in teleport tracking sensors that are housed at the end of his head.

inflatable dalek
2007-10-22, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by Denyer
Metaphor?

The huge power usage of orbital bounce presumably has side-effects that might be trackable or provide a direction: affect on ozone, for instance.

Hmmm, with that example you'd have a trace left where they beamed [for want of a better word...] out and where they beamed in but not a direct line between the two.

If Ravage is using some more sophisticated tracking method (and finding whatever's in orbit doing the bouncing would be the best place to start) then Skywatch really are going OTT with the whole act like a dog programing...

Halfshell
2007-10-22, 07:26 PM
HE'S A CAT

inflatable dalek
2007-10-22, 07:30 PM
Tell that to Skywatch. :(

Still, Red's comments about 22 years gives us a better idea of the time setting- We know Escalation was set before July 4th 2007 thanks to signs in the window of the faux shop, so Soundwave must have been very late 1984 and this most likely still the first half of this year.

Zisteau
2007-10-24, 10:35 PM
Got it and read it. Although I'm kind of enjoying these, the issues are turning more and more into fragments more than actual stories. In this issue we get a ship that crashes and two autobots get jumped. Thats it, plus the reveal at the end. The artwork I really like, and I think the story has potential, theres just so little of it.

zigzagger
2007-10-24, 11:06 PM
Assuming that you've read the preview, the issue kicks of with Hot Rod and Wheeljack, on their merry little way to retrieve Ironhide's chassis before being compressed into a fun-sized cube. Though we don't get a complete feel of his character yet, it is nice to see Wheeljack receiving some well deserved exposure, as well as some dialogue. To my surprise, the Hot Rod and Wheeljack dynamic works well, though you have to wonder how Hot Rod rose to a higher ranking position. He's a bit reckless. Then again, that doesn't stop Wheeljack from following suit. My only concern with this pair-up is the potential of it shaping into a comedic duo, rather than a tactical team or sorts. Not that the main arc couldn't use a little levity, of course.

Optimus' capacity as a leader really shows nicely here. He remains competent and stern as the Ark-19 continues its plummet, overriding Prowl's command and taking complete control over his crew. Yeah, IDW's impartial Prime continues to be a welcome revision in my eyes.

I might have reacted differently in response to the Headmaster Sunstreaker drones if not for the evidence leading up to this point (the Roche cover doesn't help matters either). The "wow" factor just wasn't there, even if it still is a rather fun and over the top concept. I suppose that's the problem.
Though is does indeed reaffirm what we already figured about IDW's Headmaster's, that they're humanoid or singularly controlled, it's still a rather silly concept. Why go to all the trouble modifying humans when all that really needs to be done is create a control panel that a driver can access/interface to/with? But this is their first official IDW appearance, so a further explanation of Headmaster mechanics could still be had by the next few issues. After all, Furman and company did manage to put a fresh new spin of the Pretender concept in Stormbringer, with satisfying results in my opinion.
Where that leaves the original Sunsteaker and the modified Hunter however, might debunk the IDW partnership issue, or at least make it more complicated. Speaking of which - poor, disembodied and mutilated Sunstreaker head! I couldn't help but go "awwww" when he asked Hunter to kill him on the final panel :(

Not much Decepticon action to be had this issue. To soon to say, but it feels like the Decepticon story-line has been pushed to a secondary plot status for the moment. I'm sure that will change by the time Starscream makes his move.

Devastation certainly has kept the readers on their toes thus far. The second issue continues in that trend, not loosing the momentum that the previous issue established. My only real gripe would be that there was more action rather than substance, resulting in a rather short and fragmented read. Still fun though.
3.5 out 5

grade edited after re-read

Commander Shockwav
2007-10-25, 02:59 AM
It was okay, but too short. Read waaaay to quick for my tastes.

Happenings: Ark-19 crashes, Hot Rod and Wheeljack attacked by Sunstreakers. That's about it. But both scenes were very well done.

That was pretty much the gist of it, with the pace suffering from Infiltrationitis a bit. I mean, there were some little surprises, but nothing that had me out of my seat.

A "B-" issue, not fully satiating but not bad either.

Red Dave Prime
2007-10-25, 06:20 PM
I liked it. The head of the sunstreaker headmasters look excellent - very sinister. The crash sequence is handed pretty well and the artwork is very nice here. The only problem with the issue (for me) is that there is too much going on here. Fine if it was an ongoing series but with 4 issues left, Its going to be tricky for IDW to keep the pacing the storyline. And now double dealer may be sticking his nose in! Is this going to be because of the oracle? Theres nothing on skywatch, Shockwave and the dinobots are still being dug up, starscream obviously hit snooze on his alarm in the last issue as he's still not fully awake AND theres the whole matter of Galvatron & Nova Prime(and Ultra Magnus will surely show up as well in his pursuit of scorponok)

4 issues? hmmm...

(also must add that astrotrains "pssst" is the worst bit of dialogue in a transformers comic ever surely? he's a friggin' machine!)

AskShockwave
2007-10-27, 07:45 PM
Picked up what I thought should be issue one today, only to find that it was, in fact, issue 2! Despite numerous checks in my local CB shop, Dev 1 has totally passed me by. I suppose a pre-order might be the way to go. 'nways, I think I get the jist of what happened in 1, so I'm not too out of the loop.

My last taste of TF comic book action was the prolonged exposure to TFvsAvengers, so that might be colouring my opinion of this one all the more. But after the undynamic scenes and uninteresting mecha of the aforementioned crossover, Su's artwork looks all the better - the ark's last minute double-pager looked great, and the monitor shot looking straight at the rooftops beforehand was a simple and effective piece of direction.

Both covers are a bit of a letdown, though - the first a bit too sombre and atmospheric to feel "Devastation"-ee, the other giving the issue's multiple Sunstreaker action away.

I agree with Zigzagger on Prime - his calm, almost weatherbeaten approach to the crisis was polar to the panicky Autobots - especially Prowl, who seemed to be looking for others to provide him with answers. A nice contrast.

It'd also be nice to see Wheeljack get gradually more irksome towards Hot Rod's straightforward tactical intellect/annoying chatter/higher rank -though you get the impression HR senses a bit more with Doubledealer sit., suggesting in turn why he might have got to where he is.

The whole thing *does* feel slight, but then there also seems like a lot of conditions they have to keep in mind and satisfy with every issue - a fairly realistic human world scenario, a healthy mix of old and new character development, alt. mode relevance/action, fan service, enough Optimus, not too much Optimus, Prowl doing stuff... with all that in mind, I'm happy - Furman and Su are doing well, in my book.

I loved Jazz's spelling goof - who better to be at the 'attitude' controls? I also couldn't help feeling that sunstreaker's request seemed more comical when his previous relationship with the humans was factored in - less "end this pain", more "God, it's Hunter...just shoot me now..."

Roll on issue 2. I mean, 3.

Denyer
2007-10-28, 07:42 PM
Steve's been ****ed over by Diamond, but I've read this thanks to kind scanning and thoroughly enjoyed it.

It was okay, but too short. Read waaaay to quick for my tastes.
The Sunstreaker stuff wasn't in the issue one story -- that was a next-issue preview -- and #2 was mainly about the Machination.

Loved the number of plots running side-by-side, personally.

Nevermore
2007-10-29, 03:59 PM
Fun! Especially in contrast to the load of bullcrap that was Megatron: Origin #4. A little short, but lots of strings running together now. Can't wait for issue 3.

Art was pretty god again. Particularly the scenes with the humans on the ground as Ark-19 came tumbling down. Great choice of perspective!

Sir Auros
2007-10-29, 09:43 PM
Su has become my favorite Transformers artist. The art and action is so clean, and his designs are different, without being Pat Lee different.

Did seem a little short, and I'm worried about the Machination being something lame like the humans in the Marvel books.

Halfshell
2007-10-31, 09:36 AM
Loved the last panel - reminded me a lot of Buster and Prime from the Marvel run.

Nice little read. Obviously everything that happened we pretty much knew would anyway... except for the way the Ark crashed. But with that in mind, it's nice to see it actually happening, rather than being teased.

inflatable dalek
2007-11-03, 12:02 AM
Very good again. Excellent characterisation for both Hot Rod and (horay!) Wheeljack, the plot moves nicely and the multiple Sunstreakers were actually kind of creepy. Great artwork (loved the movie Bumblebee homage on the double page, one injoke per issue is fine, please take note Mr. Milne.)

Only bad points were the Machination's human front coming over as a bit think again. I can forgive them not locking Hunter in as they think he's out of his mind- But do they have no security survelliance in the building at all? Can anyone really wander into what must be a main lab?

Terome
2007-11-03, 02:13 PM
They seem pretty keen on hiding all evidence - maybe that includes having no security cameras, the data from which can conceivably be hacked or stolen?

But really, there isn't a security system in popular fiction that is portrayed realistically. Realistic security is simply no fun.

inflatable dalek
2007-11-03, 05:01 PM
Well, despite what TV tells us you can't just hack into other peoples security camera's from outside (not unless the controls are on the internet anyway, which would be a bad idea really). A simple yale lock would have kept Hunter out of that room.

Terome
2007-11-03, 06:00 PM
I was thinking something more along the lines of defending themselves against Transformer tech, but yeah, they've got bad security.

Aardvark
2007-11-09, 02:45 PM
Oh, I never got around to posting my own (Awesome), opinions.

This issue rocked my socks.

That's enough awesomeness for one day.

inflatable dalek
2007-11-09, 04:02 PM
Why do I bother with long reviews?

Aardvark
2007-11-09, 04:38 PM
Compensation for the lack of awesomeness?

zigzagger
2007-11-25, 09:41 PM
This is your all purpose Transformers: Devastation #3 reaction thread. Speak of its greatness or silliness right here. Guest penciling by Nick Roche.

Due to ship November 29th according to CNI
http://comicnewsi.com/article.php?catid=223&itemid=10731
Date subject to change, so stay tuned!

inflatable dalek
2007-11-30, 07:44 PM
Me like. ratchet's salvation was both a genuine surprise (though it shouldn't have been, the story carried me enough to not think to far ahead on it) and a fist in the air moment. I loved Sixshots solution to "How do you find Ratchet with all these ambulances about".

Only two bad points: K IDW as a TV station is a crap injoke (actually, was the "Did you get it bit?" A throwback to something in Infiltration? I'm sure there's a similar bit there when Blitzwing zaps something but the cameraman didn't get it...) and the misdirected speech bubbles on the last page ruining the moment by having me wonder why Galvatron was talking about himself in the third person.

The jury's still out on the big giant head till we get firm confirmation but the fact his name seems to start with a SCHHKKK sound narrows the field a bit.

Commander Shockwav
2007-11-30, 07:47 PM
Nice issue.

Storywise, some things are fleshed out a bit more, which is good, and others are left a mystery. A few light moments of humor too. I laughed out loud when Sunstreaker was going to reveal who the head of the Machination was, and then Nick cleverly cuts to a view from the adjoining room where the Machination men are suspiciously gazing back at Sunstreaker through the window. Sunstreaker can't be heard. Loved that. Kudos to whoever came up with it.

At the end, Simon throws us a bone and reveals that several plot threads will soon be colliding. Unfortunately, one of those is the Intergalactic Circus Show known only as the Reapers. Step right up, step right up, get your fresh roasted cheese right here!

Nick does a fine job here, at least with his bots. Things just look so dynamic with his stuff. But I think E.J. is better at drawing humans than Nick, unless you're really looking for something cartoony. Didn't realize how fond I was of E.J.'s Ratchet holomatter dude until I saw Nick's. Which is ironic, because clearly E.J.'s strong suit is how mechanical he makes the bots look.

Also, for much of the issue, I thought it actually looked like E.J.'s stuff. Maybe the same coloring made me think this, or Nick intentionally tried to mimic some of E.J.'s stuff. In any case, I thought there were similarities.

What I didn't like? Well, again, the pacing of the overall story. It's better this issue, but things still are unwinding a tad slow for my taste. When I think back at what happened in this issue, again, it's Sixshot chasing Ratchet...for the entire issue. And Hunter talking to Sunstreaker...for the entire issue. And Wheeljack and Hot Rod dealing with the new Headmasters....for the entire issue. It's certainly a slower burning tale, and that really isn't as much a flaw as a matter of personal taste.

Oh yeah, and of course that glaring speech bubble mistake at the end. Unfortunately, it was the largest speech bubble of the issue too. Feel sorry for people who aren't familiar with Galavatron.

A "B+". I enjoyed it, and can't wait for the next issue.

zigzagger
2007-11-30, 09:35 PM
No fair, no fair! I still haven't received my copy yet.
I didn't even celebrate Thanksgiving.

And I really wanted to read this one too.

inflatable dalek
2007-12-01, 03:22 AM
I thought this issue showed how good Nick really is- It's very much in his style but still manages to "Match" what's come before enough to not feel like a jarring change.

Red Dave Prime
2007-12-01, 05:27 PM
Bar the speech bubble this is a quality issue. True not much happens but theres a nice feeling of drama to all the events appening so fast. If i was to be really picky I thought the headmaster bit lacked impact. A bit of combat there would have been preferable. And maybe the news that the reapers isnt something I'm eager to see (unless it means we can see the decepticons blow them to hell)
Still good issue.

zigzagger
2007-12-02, 02:01 AM
Lets out a long sigh of relief

It was really hard for me to avoid spoilers and reviews for this one.

That was a fun issue. And since Ratchet doesn't get scrapped, I'm even more happier with it, even after seeing Roche's variant cover (which made my stomach drop). Yippie! Though, considering Sixshot's reputation as a phase 5 or 6 destroyer of planets, you'd think the humble medic would prove less than a challenge. Of course, and this was my initial impression, perhaps Sixshot was simply enjoying a fun little game of cat and mouse. He's seems confident enough of his abilities that he could get away with this. Still, the Ratchet/Sixshot chase was very high energy, keeping in pace with the previous issue's neck breaking action. The Wheeljack and Hot Rod story doesn't advance all that much, however. But I suppose this is made up with the Hunter and Sunstreaker drama at the Machination headquarters, which is pretty much part of the same story, anyway. By the way, Roche's did a lovely job capturing the emotions on Sunstreaker's face. He really looks miserable!

I know I initially had my doubts about the Hot Rod and Wheeljack team up turning into a comedic duo, which it has to some extent, but I am actually starting to enjoy they're dynamic. Hot Rod is a bit fool, but a funny one at least. But now I am concerned about Ironhide (remembering that was Hot Rod and Wheeljack's original objective). We just started to get to know him, and I must say he is far superior (in my opinion) to some of the previous incarnations of the character, not being a 'bot whose premise is to beat/shoot things up. Much better than being a fun-sized cube, yes? Aside from the threat of Sixshot, it would appear the Decepticon sub-plot has been put on hold again. I suppose this is a pity, but with all the other things covered and not covered that are also simultaneously going on, I am actually content that they haven't received much attention yet. I'd rather it be covered in better detail rather than in random snippets. Here's hoping for an issue that predominately features Decepticon action, rather than the Autobots.

Alas, I also have my gripes with the issue, though minor. One, as always, I miss having densely written TF books; this issue read too short! I suppose the reason to that was due to the high energy nature of the chase, which moved the issue along speedily. But having felt that way about the previous issue, I can't help but notice a trend. That's just me, though. The second, which is not so much a gripe as just plain ****in' cruel, is the on going "head" of the Machination story. Here, Sunstreaker finally reveals the identity of the "head"....sort of. He utters "Sk-nk", which at this point may or may not be obvious or it could simply be gibberish, before cutting to the next panel....Oh, for fu*k sakes!!! If "speculations" are indeed accurate, then, as said several times already on this board, painfully drawing out this bit of exposition is a bit pointless. But here's hoping to be wrong. Also, though I am anxious to read more about the Dead Universe, it may be a bit too soon to introduce this into the main arc just yet (yeah, I know, I'm completely contradicting what I have said in other discussions....shut up). I'd prefer the overabundance of current plots to be fleshed out first before jumping into this one. But hey, chances are I'll be contradicting my self again during the next few issues when Jhiaxus shows up, which will cause me to momentarily write in leet! A pity about Nova Prime's recent name change. I'm just not too keen on the whole Nemesis Prime premise. Sorry.

Overall, aside from my gripes (which really are little), this issue was a lot of fun. Really fun. It features one of my beloved characters facing impossible odds and once again, miraculously, living through it! So, I can't complain too much. I just would like a bit more meat to these stories.
3.8 4 fleeing Ratchet's out of 5.

Zisteau
2007-12-02, 04:38 AM
:up: This was the best issue left. My concerns of the issues becoming one or two-note vignettes was alleviated. This one had a significant amount of text and story going on, without skimping on the action.

The art was really exceptional for this issue. That scene involving Sunstreaker's head was wonderfully done.

The response to Sixshot was well handled too, they actually did something that made sense and that had been set up over several issues. If this had been a Dreamwave comic, the response would have been to pull a slightly-bigger-than-Sixshot-autobot out of their bag of tricks. Glad they didn't go that route.

inflatable dalek
2007-12-02, 09:36 PM
DId Hunter actually see Mr. Mystery Head last issue or did it happen off panel?

zigzagger
2007-12-02, 11:39 PM
It happened towards the end of Escalation #6

inflatable dalek
2007-12-03, 12:35 PM
Of course it did. For some reason the dialouge made me think he'd just seen Mr.X...

I wonder if Nemesis Prime and Nova Prime will actually turn out not to be the same person...

Oh, and my good deed for the week when picking up the Escalation and Spotlight trades as crimbo presents was warning the sales assistant (a fan whoes been buying the books rather than the issues) off Megatron Origin.

Halfshell
2007-12-03, 05:47 PM
Enjoyed that. Few niggles, but minor so I'll let most of 'em go.

Am I alone in wondering what the point of the human component of a Headmaster is for if they transform with the car, don't drive it and the entire thing is seemingly operated by remote control?

I held off on asking that before as I hoped it would be answered this issue... but seemingly not.

Points for Hot Rod and the Headmaster seeking to outdo each other in the "let's both stand about and talk about what we plan to do" stakes.

I loved Sixshots solution to "How do you find Ratchet with all these ambulances about".

"Shoot the one with the Autobot logo" was my initial thought on it, but other than that.

(actually, was the "Did you get it bit?" A throwback to something in Infiltration? I'm sure there's a similar bit there when Blitzwing zaps something but the cameraman didn't get it...)

Yep. Perfect callback. Am attaching a comparison. Same tv station, almost certainly the same characters, albeit rendered by a different artist... they've moved from California to Florida though...

and the misdirected speech bubbles on the last page ruining the moment by having me wonder why Galvatron was talking about himself in the third person.

Yeah. Blows the enjoyment completely.

The jury's still out on the big giant head till we get firm confirmation but the fact his name seems to start with a SCHHKKK sound narrows the field a bit.

Yeah. Sk-nk. Wonder who that could be.

If all these people plugged into Sunstreaker's brain... how come it takes somebody glancing over their shoulder to notice he's having a conversation?

I wonder if Nemesis Prime and Nova Prime will actually turn out not to be the same person...

Going by the wing cloak thing we can see, I'd say he's almost certainly addressing the robot-formerly-known-as Nova Prime.

Am I alone in thinking the mirror shot of Sixshot needed a Jurassic Park style "objects may appear..." label on it?

Denyer
2007-12-03, 07:54 PM
Thankfully the Reapers seem to have brought an army (makes 'em seem more of a genuine threat) and the funnier-looking members stay off-panel. Quite happy with the way that plot strand's going now...

Really enjoyable issue. Fill-in seems to mean we get all the dynamism of Nick's style, and the more exaggerated facial features stay mainly on the humans, which is a win-win balance IMO. Story points are aggregating nicely... although it's going to be frustrating if there's another big gap between Earth arcs, something I feel's responsible for taking the wind out of the main book's sales a bit -- when the title's not monthly and there are cliffhanger endings to arcs, the risk is more people will figure they're waiting anyway and shift to trades.

Another solid Mosaic. Now, since someone reminded me of it, is Melissa DeHaan's "Business Lunch" on the print schedule? Really cool bit of retro.

Ignoring the layout goof on the last page, 4.5/5 and I hope there's a similar pace and energy to the second half of the arc.

Halfshell
2007-12-03, 08:59 PM
Yeah. Sk-nk. Wonder who that could be.

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuh.

How dense am I?

Blatantly Sixknight.

zigzagger
2007-12-03, 09:45 PM
Am I alone in wondering what the point of the human component of a Headmaster is for if they transform with the car, don't drive it and the entire thing is seemingly operated by remote control?

Nope. I thought the same thing last issue. Also, creating a control panel for a human driver to access seems like a more practical solution rather than going to all the trouble of modifying human subjects in order to, essentially, become contortionists so they can transform into heads for giant mechs. Though not that much of difference, the "Powermaster" concept, I think, probably would have come across as slightly more believable here. But either way, this strikes me more as a considerable weakness, rather than "in evolutionary terms, the next step". I was also hoping more would be explained regarding Headmaster mechanics this issue, but I guess we'll have to wait on that one :( .
Though, perhaps the modifications have also given them superhuman-like abilities and strengths, so they're not necessarily useless without their giant carapaces.

EDIT: Oh, oh...by the looks of things, I'm glad to see that possibly the facsimile material hasn't been completely abandoned due to Megatron losing his mind (the Senator was one of Runamuck and/or Runabout's targets in Escalation)

Halfshell
2007-12-03, 09:52 PM
Though not that much of difference, the "Powermaster" concept, I think, probably would have come across as slightly more believable here.

Yeah, I thought that too whilst going over it again.

As it stands, the human is part of the car... then it transforms to a robot... who takes its head off so that the human can walk around. All rather... uhm... odd.

EDIT: Oh, oh...by the looks of things, I'm glad to see that possibly the facsimile material hasn't been completely abandoned due to Megatron losing his mind (the Senator was one of Runamuck and/or Runabout's targets in Escalation)

YES. I think I mentioned this at Transfans... or maybe SF's blog. Nice to see we're not losing plot strands in the shuffle.

inflatable dalek
2007-12-04, 07:15 AM
It's always possible that the humans would normally be "driving" the car but they created a hiding place just for this instance so as to throw Hot Rod and Wheeljack into holding back due to the possibility of one being the real deal?

I'm wondering if Sixknight will turn out to be pulling a massive con- IE He just took some dumb rich humans and promised them the next stage in evolution whilst in fact delivering a crock of **** in the Headmasters process [whilst no doubt working on the real deal for himself).

Going by the wing cloak thing we can see, I'd say he's almost certainly addressing the robot-formerly-known-as Nova Prime.

It'd be nice to have one actual plot twist regarding back to the camera characters we don't see a mile off though. :(

Neuronutter
2007-12-04, 10:10 AM
Nickís guest issue of Devastation is here at last. Iím astonished Devastationís already at the half way mark as it doesnít seem like it should be. Anyway, Iím glad that the schedule for Dev has been maintained as the wait between books is already long enough! Right- on to the review.

First letís start with the good: the art is great and the story moves on at pace. Itís getting difficult remembering how many threads are running concurrently and Simonís doing a stellar job of intermingling them. How heís gonna find any conclusion in the three remaining issues of Devastation is beyond me. I thought the Galvatron and dead universe story was gonna be left till Expansion, that specific word having been used in his spotlight, but it looks like itís kicking off next issue along with the Reapers. I hope by the end of Dev that we have a sizable body count on both sides to justify the title, otherwise itíll feel a little tame.

Wheeljack and Hot Rods section is also excellent. They work well as a duo and their run in with the Headmasters is also nicely dealt with, though the reasons behind the Headmasters still needs expanding. Why integrate humanís into Headmasters and not just have them in a cockpit? Also, where do they sit when in car mode? They donít seem to drive them, so where? Will there be room to explore this in the remaining issues or will it get lost in the chaos? Ratchet also gets some great characterisation with his lack of optimism in the face of a superior foe. Heís beat and he knows it. The Ďbots backing up Ratchet is a nice touch but even then they seem outmatched if Sixshot is as badassed as is claimed. He should be able to take them all on with ease, but then is Prime enough to take on Sixshot? Has Prime called in one of the real powerhouses? Omega? Metroplex?

Now for the not so good. Sixshot Ė here we have this living weapon thatís the major badass and he fails to kill Rachet immediately. Sure, his first shot missed as Ratchet skids round a corner but the next shouldíve nailed him. Heís flying right above him for goodness sake! Is he not the all powerful killing machine heís supposed to be? And how freakiní big is he supposed to be? He seemed normal size when standing next to Megs in issue 1 and in his spotlight, but now heís enormous. Sure, mass shifting could play a part but it hasnít been mentioned so far. I also disliked the melodrama of Hunter and Sunstreaker. Itís way over the top and a little goofy. Also the reveal of the head of the Machination has been dragged out way too long. If itís not the obvious candidate then Iíll be amazed, but either way it shouldíve been shown at the end of Escalation. Sunstreakerís almost said so why not reveal?

All in all a good issue with great art and a lot going on. Well, Devastationís half way done. These comics canít come fast enough! I hope this standard is maintained for some time! Now, how to get IDW to do more TF comics running concurrently?

Halfshell
2007-12-04, 06:02 PM
It'd be nice to have one actual plot twist regarding back to the camera characters we don't see a mile off though. :(

It's not quite on the same level as Sixknight, though. Being as, far as I can see, the only reason we all guessed that was because Furmo blabbed in the Script Wrap for #6 that NP was changing his name. If he hadn't said that... it would have been more ZOMG.

inflatable dalek
2007-12-04, 08:43 PM
Oh, and I'm hoping that will turn out not to be Ironhide as well- Because it seems a bit odd of the Machination to set a trap with the real McCoy when they only need to fake the signal and the depot report. His body could be a very useful asset to them (if only for spare parts).

Halfshell
2007-12-04, 08:47 PM
Did they set a trap, though? I just assumed that they followed Hot Rod and Wheeljack when they left Ark-19. Which we know they had under surveillance.

I'd assumed Ironhide had been pinched by the emergency services who, unable to find the identity of the owner, just sent it to be crushed.

inflatable dalek
2007-12-04, 08:55 PM
A bit convienient though that Ironhide's signal should suddenly come through at the exact same time the Headmasters are ready for a test run. Plus that leaves the question of what was blocking his transponder in the first place.

Nevermore
2007-12-06, 08:06 PM
What, nobody noticed that Pat Lee's Porsche is scheduled for being crushed together with Ironhide?

Denyer
2007-12-06, 08:19 PM
That what he has/had as a number-plate, then?

inflatable dalek
2007-12-06, 08:29 PM
Well he'll hardly miss the one will he now?

Nevermore
2007-12-06, 10:32 PM
That what he has/had as a number-plate, then?

If this is his car (http://img148.imageshack.us/my.php?image=patscar6fv.jpg), then no.

Nevermore
2007-12-06, 10:41 PM
More easter eggs on page 15:

Gas station named "Dark Stone" (instead of "Blackrock")

News station K-IDW

Store named "McTackle's"

inflatable dalek
2007-12-08, 06:06 PM
Interestingly Ratchet also has IDW in his registration (S IDW S10 it would seem, might be 5's rather than S's though). What are the odds?

Some more random musings on rereading-

The Penatgon's been fixed really quick from Megatron throwing a giant robot arm through one of the walls in Spotlight Ramjet (not utterly impossible in three weeks though). I wonder if Holt's man is a duplicate as well or just a mole put in their by the faux senator who doesn't know the full picture? Certainly the Decepticons having infiltrated the Pentagon's highest levels might explain how such a sub par one as Harrison got away with not being sacked right off the bat at least.

It's a bit convinient that Ratchet would actually have the equipment to treat humans isn't it (did he stock up in the three week gap, just in case)?

If Hunter has undergone the full Headmaster conversion process shouldn't he already be linked up mentally with Sunstreaker?

zigzagger
2007-12-08, 10:27 PM
It's a bit convinient that Ratchet would actually have the equipment to treat humans isn't it (did he stock up in the three week gap, just in case)?

Especially since he is/was not suppose to have contact with any humans to begin with (before breaking protocol). I suppose this could be over looked because it seems to follow the character already established (that he'd want to treat or have contact with humans regardless to what Prowl, or whom ever, has to say about it).

inflatable dalek
2007-12-09, 01:25 AM
Especially since he is/was not suppose to have contact with any humans to begin with (before breaking protocol).

Yup, that's exactly why I thought it was a bit odd. But as said, a three week gap between adventures where nothing else seems to happen gives him the time to add it now he actually has humans on the Ark, it's just a tad neat. Especially as "Verity has serious injuries and need treatment now" could have added to the tension of the whole situation. It makes you wonder if Furman's given up on the human cast as well...

And before anyone says it, Hunter isn't Human anymore.

Terome
2007-12-11, 11:48 AM
Can I just point out how awesome it was when Ratchet said, "It was always going to end this way." Bleak!

Denyer
2008-01-11, 07:38 PM
Assuming no shipping problems, out next week.

http://idwpublishing.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3034

AskShockwave
2008-01-15, 12:46 AM
Panther sixshot rocked, and Pat's car was worth the asking price, thought I thought the Dark Stone (Blackrock?) petrol station took the in-jokes a bit too far. The advent of the reapers feels a bit like a visit from That Uncle Everyone Has who you just have to put up with, despite him thinking he's really funny/cool.

inflatable dalek
2008-01-16, 08:31 PM
I beat Ziggy to it. BWAHAHAHAHA.

Out the 16th of January, will Sixshot defeat the Autobots? Will Hunter succeed in becoming a Headmaster? Will there be a strange number of occurences of the letters IDW? Find out, if you can...

Denyer
2008-01-16, 09:02 PM
Yes, you beat Ziggy to it...

inflatable dalek
2008-01-16, 09:09 PM
Yes, you beat Ziggy to it...

Well that's the important thing.

zigzagger
2008-01-17, 12:35 AM
I beat Ziggy to it. BWAHAHAHAHA.

Bah! Only because Denyer got to it mid last week. No one-up for you! The shipping information is rarely that early (usually CNI, or whomever, posts shipping dates the Sunday before it is shipped for the proceeding Wednesday. Assuming it is accurate).
So....yeah....but I read it first....take that!

After re-reading Beast Wars: The Ascending...then obliterating it in a review, I had slightly higher hopes for this one. Continuing in its usual trend, Devastation #4 is a high momentum read, but reads rather light. Though this arc has focused primarily on interrelated plot strands rather than drawn out battle sequences, this issue is dominated by the Autobot/Sixshot battle (edited because I said so). It would appear that Jimmy and Verity were killed during the process of the orbital jump (not sure why Ratchet didn't foresee this, him supposedly being familiar with alien physiology and what have you). But who knows...will this be the last time we see the Adventure Kids? My concern with this brief segment was how quickly it happened. The emotional impact of the Adventure Kids' demise (if that is the case) comes across a bit weaker than most likely intended. Maybe a few more panels would have drove this point better. Not much progress in the Machination/ Hot Rod and Wheeljack secondary plotline. No revelations, no sign of Ironhide, no Mr. "Sk-nk" just yet. Though Hunter does prep up for the Headmaster process, that's about it. Also, Soundwave finally makes his reappearance, still in tape deck mode as he summons Laserbeak and Ravage. Starsceam shows up on the last page and provides some cliched closing bravado ("This time...It'll be Starscream who's still standing when the dust settles!'), which got a "m'eh" from me.
Honestly, out of all the Devastation issues released thus far, I felt this was probably the most average...not necessarily bad, just average.
3 out of 5

Commander Shockwav
2008-01-17, 02:41 AM
Best issue of Devestation to date.

Every once in a while, no matter what kind of TF fan you are, young or old, intellectual or ignoramus, king or pawn, you just gotta have a good slugfest. And this issue had it. The action certainly picks up with Sixshot vs. the Autobots, and Musso delivers the goods.

This issue is action-centered. Granted, the story doesn't necessarily leap forward, but if it fails to do this, there should be a good reason. And the good reason here is metal on metal action.

Whilst Musso does an excellent job rendering this battle, Simon does a good job explaining why its even possible for a single bot to carry such a reputation by delving into what Sixshot is actually made of. For those of us who wondered why Sixshot is the badass that he is, mystery solved.

It was still nice to see Prime hold his own. Still, seeing as how Sixshot barely "breaks a sweat", by issues end I finally see Sixshot as a realistic threat, a real force. Oh, and of all the artists that have pencilled Sixshot thus far (Ruffolo, Su, Roche), Musso IMO wins the prize in that regard.

Doubt Jimmy and Verity are dead....unfortunately. If they are, Simon man, you get all the props in the world for that move. Imagine the mental anguish Ratchet would suffer, and how that would affect him if they really are dead. Would certainly open up some doors for character progression, wouldn't it? Here's to hoping, anyway.

Negatives for me. Well, the Intergalactic Circus Show has officially arrived on Earth. I know I shouldn't prejudge based on appearances, but something tells me I'm not going to enjoy the part the Reapers have to play. Well, except their cool looking leader, maybe. Other than this and the lack of realism in Hunter's quick decision to irreversibly alter himself in a major way, I really can't find any other negatives.

Kudos to Musso on this. Like I said, the best of Devestation yet, a solid "A-", looking forward to more.

Denyer
2008-01-18, 03:20 AM
Cool beans.

Having this much going on really plays to Simon's writing strengths, and Robby does a dependable job with some standout moments -- one thing to Liam, building up skin tone, clothes and metal with the same technique does little to differentiate them. If you're going to do airbrush style, use some cut-edge as well, particularly with artists who don't use a lot of solid black. (In fact, try some test pieces with just an emphasis on cut-edges and gradients.)

Nice background nods, and a fair send-off for the human characters if true -- going out saving the 'Bots with a warning and giving Ratchet something to think about. This also seems to be a nod that Nightbeat isn't being explicitly controlled yet, contrary to what we saw in Escalation. Or maybe Nightbeat just meddled with the transporter and the settings are still deadly to organic life...

And we get some reasoning for why Sixshot is so powerful. Excellent. Now, how can we reverse-engineer this development into explaining why Megatron is similarly incredibly resistant to damage even at the early stage of the Origin mini?

Not a let-down, despite having blundered into spoiler discussions. Would probably go so far as to say this is the best issue of the Earth arcs so far. 4 to 4.5 out of 5.

Red Dave Prime
2008-01-18, 08:24 PM
A Big hmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

The first half of this issue is great. Cracking pace, lots of swapping between threads. I am always able to ignore logic flaws as long as the action makes sense from issue to issue and has an overall flow (hense, I figure megs and prime are close to on a par with sixshot defensively, maybe lacking in sixshots destructive power) Where this issue falls down is, as put above, the intergalactic circus. Forget whether you like the guys or not, they seem to just tap against the decepticons base. Its a really bad introduction panel and makes the circus look more jumbled than before. There seems to be only the 5 of them again (so much for the army) but compared to the firepower thats been thrown about in the sixshot battle they look really flimsy.
Have to say the human bombardment looks more dangerous.

As for the demise of the "super twins", they cant back out on this surely? I didnt mind the human characters (altough they dont serve the purpose of showing the human side of the battle as they are more happy-go-lucky kids which nearly all transformer comics need to have) but if they get resurrected by some tech miracle previously unknown (like star trek) it craps over any drama. As stated by those above, theres an option to show ratchet in a fascinating way here, possibly the first time the robots get emotionally damaged by the effects of their war.

Hopefully sixshot will destroy the circus and we can get back to the other stories.

inflatable dalek
2008-01-19, 04:18 PM
Well, after skimming the reviews I was expecting something a bit meh, but in fact it all holds together really well. There's the nagging feeling the last two issues could have been compressed into one easily, but it still makes a good read.

I don't think for a second the kids are dead dead, but if they are that's basically a onpage acknowledgement they just weren't working (notice how they've been more and more sidelined from the main action since Hunter was taken).

I'm really hoping the Reapers will serve some propper purpose that ties into the other storylines in a way only they could fill, because right now their role could have been easily filled by- say- Hound and his troops turning up and attacking the Decepticon bunker to draw Six Shot off (you'd have to rewrite a little to have Prime summon a lot more Autobots to Earth with Houd, but that seems more preferable to the Goon Squad).

Sir Auros
2008-01-21, 12:39 AM
Hey, I got a book the same week it came out. Amazing! Wish we had a comic shop here...

I continue to enjoy the IDW Transformers story, but this issue seemed short to me, too. Something that's been ongoing that I'm not thrilled about is the introduction of the Headmasters. I've just never cared for the concept in any continuity.

Tornatron
2008-01-21, 03:46 AM
I for one definately like where things are headed with this story

Im enjoying how now we are actually getting to see things in motion rather than assume it, ala knowing that sixshot is powerful, but never really knowing how or to what extent it goes

what I took away from the prime/sixshot fight, is that although sixhot is more powerful than prime, I just see prime's ingenuity finding a way to deal with sixhot, not defeat but actually just get the better of the situation. which puts into perspective the reason why some guys like sixhot who are so darned powerful just don't destroy everything and everyone and take charge for themselves

overall there's alot on the plate as far as everything goes, can't wait till #5

Denyer
2008-01-21, 03:48 AM
Welcome aboard.

inflatable dalek
2008-01-21, 07:43 AM
Other than Movie Bumblebee were any of the other posters on that kids wall injoke filled? I suspect they may be but other than "ESCAPE" relating to the situations of several characters my mind has frozen up.

Ballplayer
2008-01-22, 07:49 PM
The lightning bug from Cosmic Rust can be seen...

dunno about the rest...

Nevermore
2008-01-23, 02:52 PM
Other than Movie Bumblebee were any of the other posters on that kids wall injoke filled? I suspect they may be but other than "ESCAPE" relating to the situations of several characters my mind has frozen up.

There's also "Wreck'n'Rule" and "Meister" on page 6.

Musso also still has a thing for crotches.

AskShockwave
2008-01-28, 11:29 AM
Haroom. Good, though I think the demise of the humans was spoiled a bit by poor panel allocation/too many cliffhanger ops. I'm also a bit of a sentimentalist, so that probobly had something to with it as well. EJ Su next issue, hurrah!

zigzagger
2008-02-03, 08:46 PM
Arriving a couple of weeks early into your sweaty fanboy or girl hands, Transformers: Devastation #5 is upon us! This is your all purpose Transformers: Devastation #5 reaction and discussion thread.
Come, tell us what you thought...but no hitting below the waist.

Due to arrive February 6th according the CNI's shipping schedule
http://comicnewsi.com/article.php?catid=223&itemid=11079

Red Dave Prime
2008-02-04, 12:23 AM
If the reapers dont have an army by the end of this one I'll be deeply upset. The starscream cover looks excellent.

Commander Shockwav
2008-02-07, 12:34 AM
Last issue was the strongest of Devestation thus far.

This issue? Unfortunately, the weakest on several accounts.

For one, nothing really happened this issue. This was a step in the wrong direction in terms of pacing, reading something like a filler issue. Where I was hoping things were ramping up after the last issue, I find myself underwhelmed.

Secondly, things just don't jive. Why would Blitzwing and Astrotrain, after seeing Megatron's beatdown on Starscream in Infiltration, side again with Starscream and again risk their lives? Why would Sixshot suddenly at the behest of the Reapers leader experience a moment of internal conflict, the result of which is to turn on his fellow the Decepticons?

If this was an attempt at deepening the character of Sixshot, it was a shoddy job of it. Instead, I find myself more confused now by what it is Sixshot actually wants than I was after reading his spotlight. One minute he's blasting through the Reapers ship, the next minute he's attacking Starscream? WTF? I'm beginning to hate Sixshot shearly because thinking about him makes my brain hurt.

We still get Hotrod and Wheeljack vs. the Sunstreaker clones, the third such issue featuring this. We still get Hunter running around in the Machination's building, the third or fourth such issue featuring this.

As we approach the end of this series, I feel things are starting to stall. What has happened in five issues could have been told in three. It's Infiltrationitis again, if you will.

What did I like? As many predicted, the Autobots are leaving Earth, a welcome turn of events which will make things more interesting (because Verity and Jimmy being raised from the dead certainly isn't). I liked the idea that Starscream had a means of taking Sixshot out from the beginning, cunning mech that he is. Makes Screamer more of a realistic threat than a whiny sidekick. Though I'm not E.J.'s biggest fan, the art was strong.

So this issue gets a "C-" from me. Filler issue, somewhat monotonous, predictable and confusing without many redeemable moments.

zigzagger
2008-02-07, 01:38 AM
Why would Sixshot suddenly at the behest of the Reapers leader experience a moment of internal conflict, the result of which is to turn on his fellow the Decepticons?

If this was an attempt at deepening the character of Sixshot, it was a shoddy job of it. Instead, I find myself more confused now by what it is Sixshot actually wants than I was after reading his spotlight. One minute he's blasting through the Reapers ship, the next minute he's attacking Starscream? WTF? I'm beginning to hate Sixshot shearly because thinking about him makes my brain hurt.

That was a bit silly, wasn't it? Maybe more time should have been spent showing some inner-conflict. Might have explained why he was so easily persuaded.

Sixshot: No. I still don't want to be in your traveling sideshow.
Reaper: Ah, come on. It'll fun. We can end war by causing it. Of course, if you want to be a patsy, that's cool.
Sixshot: Well...since you put that way....Die Starscream!

In a way, Sixshot sort of feels like a plot device. He gave something for the Autobots to worry about and allowed Starscream to make his entrance.

Commander Shockwav
2008-02-07, 02:19 AM
Well, when a character goes from saying, and I quote, "I am..and never will be...a Reaper!" to "I...should thank you Starscream for making this decision that much easier", in effect deciding to become one a few pages later, well, that's not my definition of character development.

Sixshit is quickly becoming one of my least favorite characters, which is a shame.

I always envisioned him as the silent, deadly assassin-type. DW was going to make him Shockwave's bodyguard, the epitome of triple-changer technology. Would have preferred that take, me thinks.

Denyer
2008-02-07, 11:07 PM
You'd prefer Sixshot with no characterisation at all? Meh. He's worked better in this series than in the spotlight -- distant from the other Decepticons, vacillating and full of bluster.

I like the amount of stuff going on simultaneously, and appreciate the way strands are weaving together. Would caution that those who aren't reading the Spotlights in sync aren't likely to be as happy with seemingly unconnected things taking up page space, and there's a disproportionate amount of attention on the Headmaster strand considering it doesn't stand a chance of much beyond Skorpy making himself known next issue....

Especially liking Megatron's dialogue. It's all very interesting, but possibly not the excitement-fest people were expecting from the series title. I'll be impressed if the first page of #6 is the Autobots heading off into space at full speed and the focus transfers over to Reaper/Decepticon carnage across a major country, justifying the 'devastation' tag.

3/5

Commander Shockwav
2008-02-08, 03:44 AM
You'd prefer Sixshot with no characterisation at all?

Yes, actually, I prefer no characterization to what we have now.

Sixshit could have been a cold, merciless bot with little intellect, it would have worked better. If you want to go for menacing, that's menacing.

Menacing is not "gee, I change my mind on which club I want to be in. Help me, I'm confused!".

I just don't get Sixshit. Again, his motivation, and that of the Reapers, is lacking, IMO.

Denyer
2008-02-08, 04:06 AM
Sixshit could have been

Are you repeatedly mis-hitting the key, or just acting like you're five?

Tornatron
2008-02-08, 12:09 PM
The only thing I can see with the sixshot turn is that he's in it for the destruction and the reapers are offering him an oppurtunity to be with them and be able to let his destructive nature flourish as opposed to only being dispensed when megatron says so

It's been implied that he's not in any type of decepticon "click", and the only decepticons that he thought he actually had a bond with the terrocons, he actually went to see about them, to try to save them if they needed saving, maybe with the reapers he feels he will be accepted and not shunned, I guess even ultimate weapons get lonely.

As for the issue itself, I loved the first page, I get a kick out of how megatron always puts starscream down, as in starscream your an idiot and what you think makes no sense and I would never do that, as in starscream actually thinking he's megatrons bodyguard, classic

As for the autobots, Im not sure this is optimus prime, leaving the earthlings to fend for themselves? very unoptimus like, but very interesting, but Im not sure if Im ready for this type of optimus

So whatever it is that optimus has pulled out for better be very very important in the big scheme of things or this might not feel right

overall the only thing I don't like is the pace of the story

MegatronIDW
2008-02-08, 06:24 PM
As a Decepticon fan I loved this issue, though I'll agree that Sixshot's swap of loyalties was a little forced. Though my read of it was he thought Megatron had ordered Starscream to kill him and that pushed hom over the edge. The Reapers offered him a purpose and a greater goal, and in his view point, the Decepticons offered him a swift death. Not surprising he swapped sides, but could have been rndered clearer. Maybe the long forgotten thought ballon to let us see some of his inner thoughts?

Nice look at the early Megs/Screamer relationship too. Along with Origin, the reasons for Starscream's hatred are becoming all too clear. He was a (sort) of friend to Megs, but Screamer having a very large ego, and Megs never being the kind to be particuarly emotional, and often act dismissive to his lessers (By which I mean those lower in rank to himself) never really gave Screamer the respect he felt he deserved.

In a warped way it's Batman and Robin. Megs is Batman, the cool, calm, hard assed loner who never really shows any emotion other than rage or hatred. Screamer is the wide eyed sidekick, following him around out of awe and respect. But eventually the lack of respect from his partner gets too much, and the Sidekick changes. (Although Nightwing never got doped up on the robotic equivalent of smack and tried to kill Batman by turning his entourage against him...but no analogy is perfect)

WHich leaves what happens next tantalisingly open. The Decepticons are obviously going to win, because the alternative is that the earth ends up one big mass grave in a days time at the hands of the Reapers. So is Megs going to let STarscream back into the fold? Is he going to head off after Prime and put Screamer back in charge? Or are they actually going to be working together in future arcs? (I hope for the latter, if only to see Furman's take on the wonderfully dysfunctional interplay the two had in the cartoon. Worryingly like an old married couple...)

As for Optimus's decision to leave Eartn being out of character...not really. Because this version (A far better one than previous versions, the best in my opinion) does not attach some bizzare sense of worth to what is basically a species of hairless apes. He looks after his own first (Like a sensible leader, not the "Oh, we can all be slaughtered, but we can;t hurt these retarded humans" version of old) so he's obviously focusing on a bigger picture. The universe is a lot bigger than one tiny planet, which has, let's be honest, offer nothing to the Autbots but death so far.

And I too beleive Sunstreaker, Hot Rod, Wheeljack and (Possibly) the Dynobots, will be left on earth, as the sole defenders against the Decepticons and Skorponok. Should be interesting)

Red Dave Prime
2008-02-09, 01:26 AM
I kinda enjoyed this one. Numerous nice bits of art, the interplay between the decepticons shows how underused they have been (maybe IDW should have focused on these guys for a bit first before adding the carnival, the machination, the dead universe, skywatch...)

I thought the sixshot turn was done well enough. Going back to his spotlight he seems to feel more in common with the reapers than his own decepticons. He constantly stats how all he is useful for is destruction. The turn wasnt sudden, it was built up. And starscream does make the choice easy, the reapers "negotiate" with Sixshot a bit (granted, while blasting him) to get him to join their side. From sixshots point of view, Megatron simply sent out starscream to take him out. Also the comment about sixshot being property or slave of a cause he doesnt believe in maybe should have been a more prominent catalyst. Not saying it was flawlessly done but it wasnt as bad as some are making it out.

I'm really curious about the direction the comic will take after devastation. I had a thought that maybe as far as mankind sees it, it will be megatron and his heroic decepticons who defeat the evil reapers and save earth thereby allowing megatron to manipulate and control the planet (which would build nicely into the hail megatron storyline). This would leave the autobots left behind fighting against the general populace as much as the decepticons (kinda like the first season of V)

There are a few minus. The head master stuff feels overbaked and the actual process didnt seem to help the first clone did it? The adventure kids death was a bad choice of tension. Its a bit like a star trek episode with ratchet saving the day through technology (the heart monitor has to be a big joke right? what is it doing on the ark?) But I suppose in those case I'm nitpicking.

Funny thought - if the reapers had have been just the guys on page 6 (with the army built up of the cannon guys) I may have taken them a bit more seriously. By the time sixshot id fighting them theres weird bears, the jellyfish thing, the ghost... just ridiculous.

zigzagger
2008-02-09, 02:13 AM
The adventure kids death was a bad choice of tension. Its a bit like a star trek episode with ratchet saving the day through technology (the heart monitor has to be a big joke right? what is it doing on the ark?) But I suppose in those case I'm nitpicking.

It's not really that much of a stretch. Ratchet was shown treating the humans in the third issue, him being equipped to treat to them. And seeing that Cybertronians, or at least the Autobots, have an understanding of other alien species (seeing as they're stationed on various planets, thwarting Decepticon infiltration units), I suppose they might have access to equipment for treating various species. Plus, it's Ratchet, whose been known to take liberties even when it is against protocol. He could have just as well thrown something together.

Halfshell
2008-02-11, 09:28 PM
Loved it.

Loved the Starscream stuff.

Loved the Sixshot stuff.

Loved the resolution between the two of them. Didn't see it coming three issues ago, which is a nice change, especially in these days of solicits being in our domain, plus Furmo's blogs.

Really don't understand the people who think Sixshot's behaviour was a stretch. When he's telling them he's not a Reaper, he's actually telling himself. He knows it would be simpler to join them. The reason he didn't in the Spotlight is because of his kinship with the Terrorcons. He takes a moment to think and decide here... and suddenly one of his comrades comes out challenging him. Friends have turned on him. Suddenly the decision's been made for him. Simple, straightforward. And means that Astrotrain decided for him back four issues ago.

Biological logic re the squishies. Just because their hearts have stopped doesn't mean they're dead dead dead. Hell, even Cap'n Mal died once.

Definitely preferred it to part 4, which was essentially the Autobots and Sixshot shooting at each other whilst the squishies stood about, followed by the least dramatic cliffhanger I've seen in ages.

Nice crossover with Arcee... I predicted ages ago that Prime would pull back from Earth, but it's nice to have it done in a way I didn't expect. And is plausible. With the team either in CR or out of comms, and with an Ark down... there's not a lot else they can do right now. Pragmatism and priorities.

Only snafu from where I was sat was the colouring flubs with the jets. Also had a bit of trouble adjusting to EJ's art style again, though I prefer it to Musso. His stuff with Hunter was a bit too cartoony, though. If I had my way, Roche would draw everything. EVERYTHING.

Lots to cram into issue 6. Can't wait. Any word on a due date yet?

zigzagger
2008-02-11, 10:03 PM
Can't wait. Any word on a due date yet?
Originally it was slotted for the end of this month. But this is tentative. About the same goes for Spotlight: Arcee (possibly next week, or after). Again tentative.

Halfshell
2008-02-11, 10:07 PM
It's a shame that the printing schedule got ****ed. I don't trust any solicitations anymore...

Denyer
2008-02-12, 12:28 AM
Lots to cram into issue 6.
Yeah, this is my quibble. Furman's still setting up in issue five. He could still get some decent closure in if speculation about the next miniseries is correct -- but whatever cliffhanger we work up to, it needs following up more directly than the gap between Escalation and Devastation.

Halfshell
2008-02-12, 09:01 AM
I'd hope that Prime's Autobots are now out of the picture for the remaining issue, leaving lots of time to focus on Hot Rod/Headmasters, Hunter/Machination and the Decepticons/Reavers.

If those first two strands tie together like I hope (Hunter shuts down the HMs), then 22 pages should be more than enough to wrap up the main threads of the arc.

Should be.

zigzagger
2008-02-12, 09:20 AM
Weren't Hound and his crew supposed to be showing up by now? If that is the case, then Earth shouldn't left fending for itself for too long anyway. It hasn't been implied whether or not they were told to belay their trip. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Halfshell
2008-02-12, 09:34 AM
Aye, I was wondering about Hound's crew last night.

At the pace things have been going, I'd imagine that to turn up on Earth for anything prior to the epilogue moments of #6, they'd need to practically be there already... in which case it would have made more sense for Prime to send them off to the detention centre crisis instead of him and his three fit troops. Hound et al are obviously regarded as fit for that sort of duty, so if they were within range of Earth the whole "we're nearest" thing wouldn't apply.

They'll likely arrive some point at the end of #6, or in time for Revelation. Hot Rod, Wheeljack, Ironhide, Huntstreaker, the Dinobots... Hound's crew. New Earth-based cast. w00ty.

Back to #5 for a second, it was nice to see Prowl's "don't get attached to the humans" attitude doesn't extend to not giving a toss about the planet.

wolfbolt86
2008-02-17, 12:22 AM
High, first time doing this.
Anyway, i like what i see. Glad to see that the Dinobots are finally getting into the main story. Also hoping to see more gestalts in action.

I know that this is off topic, but does anyone know if it is ture that IDW now has the licence to G.I. Joe.

Denyer
2008-02-17, 01:02 AM
Nothing confirmed yet one way or another. People involved with the Joes stuff seem to think it's IDW, so an announcement could come at Toy Fair, SDCC, etc.

zigzagger
2008-02-22, 09:23 PM
Here it is, and surprisingly on schedule, the final chapter of Devastation! Promises to be highly explosive. This is your all-purpose Transformers: Devastation #6 reaction and discussion thread. I demand you tell us what you thought of it. This, Ziggy commands.

Due to ship February 27th according to some anonymous source (?)
http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/comics-16/diamond-shipping-details-for-2272008-164284/
Stay tuned for confirmation!

EDIT: Confirmed for the 27th, bitches!
http://comicnewsi.com/article.php?catid=223&itemid=11167

Halfshell
2008-02-22, 10:02 PM
Oooh...

Though I'll believe it when I see it.

zigzagger
2008-02-23, 07:27 AM
I don't know if anyone has seen Su's cover for this one (we've seen the Roche Megs/Screamer cover). There might be a reason why - it's a bit of a spoiler.
http://oldercomics.com/rick/tfdevastation6a.jpg
Crappy quality, but it makes its point.
Galvatron saves the day. Yay!

Halfshell
2008-02-23, 10:19 AM
Yay.

And I called it. Well, sort of.

I actually said Grimlock, but as soon as somebody suggested Galvy I agreed it was far more likely.

Gotta wonder how far in that's gonna happen, given it's on the damn cover...

inflatable dalek
2008-02-23, 02:20 PM
It was OK, not brilliant but it just about worked despite some niggles.

First up, things that aren't really niggles as I'm sure latter issues will clarify (I've yet to get hold of Arcee)-

Optimus abandoing Earth just semed a bit odd. Even if they are the nearest they're really in no state to deal with dangerous escaped prisoners of any sort. Better to call in the next nearest, who despite the longer journey time will at least have more of a chance when they get there (and even if they don't arrive until the end of #6, Hound's group can't be that much further, travel time from Cybertron to Earth doesn't seem to be that great). The most likely rationalisation of course is that Prime is talking Bull- Whoever escaped from that prison knows or possesses something that Prime wants to minimise awareness off and doesn't trust another mission commander with it (no doubt Spotlight: Arcee has already shed light on this).

When did Starscream find out Sixshot's override code? I can't see Megatron having told him however paly they were millions of years ago (especially as early Megs clearly still has nothing but contempt for him), and even if Megatron did trust him that much at the time, surely the code would have been changed a lot over the centuries for security reasons?

And the big problems:

The human resurrection. Crap. I understand the need to have them out of it so they can't object to the abandonment of Earth till it's to late, but why not just have the Orbital Bounce knock them out rather than the false jeopardy angle? That makes four at least the third time Furman has ended a modern TF comic by seemingly killing one or more of the human supporting cast only for it not to be the case and it's only really worked for Hunter last year where there was at least the mystery of what the Machination were up to. There seems to have been a miscommunication to last months guest artist as well as the sickly green bodies of Jimmy and Verity blatantly had more wrong with them than dicky tickers..

The Reapers. they're still rubbish and their overall plot doesn't seem to have any real connection to anything else. With so many elements in the comic they're role would have been better served by being filled by one of the other groups of protagonists (Headmasters, hound's Group, Skywatch controlled robots- all would have (or could be given) good reasons for atacking the Decepticon base. And then we wouldn't have the oddness of Starscream pretty much twatting them all by himself after the build up of how hardcore they are.

The plus side though was pretty much all the Decepticon interaction wehich rang very true and had them displaying some brains, and Prowl and Hardhead's plot catch up conversation.

Halfshell
2008-02-23, 03:07 PM
(I've yet to get hold of Arcee)

Which shouldn't matter as Dev 5 was always scheduled ahead of Arcee.

Whoever escaped from that prison knows or possesses something that Prime wants to minimise awareness of

Well, yes. Because we already know what he's referring to. It's the Pretender Monsters. He doesn't want the gestalt tech to fall into Decepticon hands and feels personally responsible as he's the one who handed them over to Jetfire.

The behaviour's nothing worse than pulling the Wreckers away from Varas Centralus -- which effectively ceded the world to the Decepticons. That was done off the basis of a science vessel seemingly being shot down above a world they thought was dead. OP was stationed on the Orbital Hub - he could have taken anyone, but he recalled the big guns and doomed a planet, solely because he hadn't conquered his Cybertron-related demons.

He's currently obsessing over Jhiaxus, so yeah, he's gonna go running when he thinks the toys he caught may fall into Decepticon hands. Earth might be an acceptable loss - his force is depleted anyway, and there's a squad of fresh reinforcements already on the way. He can do more good going off and cleaning up the mess on Garrus-9 than he can twiddling his thumbs waiting for some battle ready troops to turn up.

And if it's too late and the horse has already bolted, it jeopardises Earth even further by redirecting Hound's unit unnecessarily. Anyway, as far as Prime's aware, Hot Rod and Wheeljack (probably Ironhide) are still active -- soon as they try to contact Ark-19 and can't, they'll try 32 and get the skinny.

This is the sort of practical approach to problems I've come to expect from IDW's Optimus. He knows he can't save every planet, but he's still giving them the best shot the bigger picture allows.

When did Starscream find out Sixshot's override code? I can't see Megatron having told him however paly they were millions of years ago (especially as early Megs clearly still has nothing but contempt for him), and even if Megatron did trust him that much at the time, surely the code would have been changed a lot over the centuries for security reasons?

Er. Who mentioned centuries? Who mentioned millions of years?

The flashback on page 1 is almost certainly set before the flashback events of Stormbringer. We know Thunderwing's rampage was prior to 1984 (Bludgeon's trip to Earth is described as being "much later, well after Cybertron had been declared off limits"). But beyond that... you're just guessing.

Starscream is depicted as Megatron's bodyguard. He is raising the question of "what happens if Sixshot turns on them?" Yes, Megatron may regard Starscream as solely for appearances, but he can't ignore the validity of the point. If for whatever reason Megatron is rendered unable to give the shutdown code, somebody else need be aware of it.

And we don't know what their past relationship was like in this continuity. Obviously Megatron still placed enough stock in Starscream to place him in charge of an Infiltration unit, even if it was on some backwater planet. Screamer's treacherous nature is evident for all to see now, but -- as stated -- we don't know how he was at the time of the flashback.

The human resurrection. Crap. I understand the need to have them out of it so they can't object to the abandonment of Earth till it's to late, but why not just have the Orbital Bounce knock them out rather than the false jeopardy angle?

"They're not breathing" would have worked better. It was a naff cliffhanger due to it not being the last page, therefore all the drama was lost. That's a problem with part 4, though. Not here.

Essentially they need to survive, though, in order to give Prime the motivation to return to Earth later on, rather than just writing it off as a lost cause as he did to Varas Centralus.

And then we wouldn't have the oddness of Starscream pretty much twatting them all by himself after the build up of how hardcore they are.

And he does this where, exactly? Page and panel number, please. Because all I see is him dropping some bombs that explode around the Reapers with no evident effect whatsoever.

Seriously, are we reading the same thing?

inflatable dalek
2008-02-23, 04:20 PM
Which shouldn't matter as Dev 5 was always scheduled ahead of Arcee.

True, just making it clear that any answers that have already been given are as yet unkown to me.

The behaviour's nothing worse than pulling the Wreckers away from Varas Centralus -- which effectively ceded the world to the Decepticons. That was done off the basis of a science vessel seemingly being shot down above a world they thought was dead. OP was stationed on the Orbital Hub - he could have taken anyone, but he recalled the big guns and doomed a planet, solely because he hadn't conquered his Cybertron-related demons.

At lest there the Wrekers were in pretty much good shape to be able to deal with Cybertrons tough conditions. Optimus's group really aren't in any shape to deal with any serious new threat even if Hot Rod and Wheeljack were to rejoin them. I've no problem with him abandoning Earth to face a more serious threat, but his plan here is deeply flawed. Assuming Hot Rod and Wheeljack do turn out to be unreachable I'd likem a scene where Prowl really chews him out over the choice of sending them on this mission (as second in command it falls under his job description to bring it to the commanders attention when they're making seemingly poor decisions). It might have helped if Furman had found space to work in, however token, Prime's growing obsession with the Jhiaxus mystery into Devastation prior to this, the fact it's not really been touched upon since his Spotlight makes it feel very sudden and out of the blue (even though in terms of how much time has passed for the characters Prime is probably not more than a few days before this. It'll proabably work better ina reading without months between events).

Er. Who mentioned centuries? Who mentioned millions of years?

The flashback on page 1 is almost certainly set before the flashback events of Stormbringer. We know Thunderwing's rampage was prior to 1984 (Bludgeon's trip to Earth is described as being "much later, well after Cybertron had been declared off limits"). But beyond that... you're just guessing.

Has there really been no timeframe given for the abandonment of Cybertron? Intersting, I thought there was one given in Stormbringer. Scratch the millions and change it to"A considerable" amount of time then. Keeping Sixshot's override code the same for even twenty years seems highly unlikely though, as does the fact that someone in Starscreams position at the start of Infiltration would be kept updated of such changes (and before the comic started the Earth assignment was a bog standard relatively low priority one, which is what pissed the seeker off in the the first place. Being kept up to date of important command code changes like would be like the Captain of a small Army base knowing America's Nuclear Launch codes).

The only possibility that might make sense is that Sixshot's code can't be changed, but that would be an insanely stupid move on Megatron's part really as it would mean should the Autobots capture and interogate the information out of someone who did know, or if one of the selfsame betrays him as here, the Decepticons most powerful weapon becomes useless.

And we don't know what their past relationship was like in this continuity. Obviously Megatron still placed enough stock in Starscream to place him in charge of an Infiltration unit, even if it was on some backwater planet. Screamer's treacherous nature is evident for all to see now, but -- as stated -- we don't know how he was at the time of the flashback.

We know the broad strokes of their relationship- Starscream had been hugely loyal and faithful but had been increasingly sidelined and ignored by Megatron (and commander of a distant and small scale operation is a huge comedown from right hand bodyguard) to the point where he was driven to betray him. hardly seems likely under those circumsatances he'd be keept up to date with the most important code changes.

Of course, what we know about the Megatron/Starscream relationship post Origins is entirely from Screamers speech towards the end of Infiltration, it's entirely possible that some or all of it is complete crap. But if so I would find that a shame as that motivtion for the character was something I really liked. If the slights were mostly in his head or exageratted as an excuse for his normal G1 back stabing bit persona it'd be a shame from my point of view.

"They're not breathing" would have worked better. It was a naff cliffhanger due to it not being the last page, therefore all the drama was lost. That's a problem with part 4, though. Not here.

it was a problem generated by last issue, but it's resolution is what causes the irritant here.

Essentially they need to survive, though, in order to give Prime the motivation to return to Earth later on, rather than just writing it off as a lost cause as he did to Varas Centralus.

And he does this where, exactly? Page and panel number, please. Because all I see is him dropping some bombs that explode around the Reapers with no evident effect whatsoever.

A few of the more non descript Reapers do seem to be blown to crap in both panels showing them being hit (the two headed dragon one for example looks in a bad way). Next time I will be more literal. The real odd thing is the Reapers just standing there and taking it...

Has Starscream's colour scheme been changed? It seemed more white than I recall (but don't have prior issues to hand to compare). It's consistant unlike the Thundercracker mistake though...

Seriously, are we reading the same thing?

Yep, you just enjoyed it more.

Rossum
2008-02-23, 07:52 PM
For Sixshot's override code, maybe it was a little bit too simple, but it got the point across pretty directly. From the flashback, it looked to me like Megatron only told Starscream that the code existed--I got the impression that Screamer found out what it was on his own. If Megatron thought he was the only one who knew it, then he might not care to change it over time. Or maybe Starscream just kept up with the changes on his own.

I kind of also think that it's this sort of thing that caused Megatron to sideline him over time--Starscream is talented, but tends to be kind of cocky (like thinking he's actually Megatron's bodyguard) and oversteps his bounds. Megatron thinks Starscream's useful, but is wary of his ambition, so he assigns him to less important duties. Starscream and his ego can't take this, and over time resentment builds, and we get the big blowout from Infiltration.

Also, it doesn't really show that Starsceam is defeating the Reapers--he just catches a few unawares. The point is that he's trying, which will get him back in Megatron's good graces.

As for Prime, Earth and the humans, I guess it just comes down to opinion. I don't really think they'll return to Earth just to drop off a couple of passengers--I'd imagine somehow the Jhiaxus trail will lead back there, or events with Galvatron will suddenly make Earth important again. But I like the abandonment, and I'd say it makes sense--the Autobots can afford to lose one planet; they can't really afford to have the Decepticons get a huge technological edge.

Starfield
2008-02-24, 06:24 PM
I like how Megatron made Starscream his bodyguard. Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

Commander Shockwav
2008-02-28, 04:35 AM
This issue was great, the best issue of the Infiltration /Escalation / Devestation run thus far, IMO.

The pace finally quickened to my liking, and things wrapped up quite nicely, despite predictions to the contrary.

Surprisingly, the anitclimatic revelation that was easily predicted ten issues back, that Scorponok was the head of the Machination, in no way detracted from the ending like I thought it would. I think part of the reason was that kickass one-page splash of Scorpers, courtesy of Mr. Su.

Speaking of E.J., I think this issue after that Prime/Megs battle issue was his best so far. It was tight and in no way seemed rushed like some of E.J. more recent issues. (He's probably finally settling into fatherhood).

And best of all? The Reapers got their asses handed to them on a freakin silver platter. THANK YOU SIMON!!!!!! Twas a thing of beauty. Intergalactic Circus Show exit stage right. Chalk up another "thumbs up" for me also for Sixshit still being out of commission as well.

How about characterization? This issue shined with it. Starscream isn't the incompetent bumbler of the past, but a bot worthy of a begrudging respect from his leader, who apparently sees the value of having him fight for the Decepticon cause. Hence, as usual, Megs spares him. The Hot Rod-Hardhead exchange was well done, and I'm actually looking foreward to how Hot Rod handles the position of the Autobot heading the resistence on Earth. Dare I say it may be a thing of......Magnificence? Looks like good ole Nightbeat is starting to figure things out too, as any detective with his uncanny insight would.

And that last page featuring the Big Baddies: Galvatron, Nemesis Prime, and Jhiaxus? Damn, that was sweet. Nice to see clearly now what that "Unicron-level" threat is that we're heading for.

Oh, and who can forget, we got character deaths! Finally, sweet wholesome character-deaths! I actually liked Runamuck and Runabout, but hey, thems the breaks, as they say. Kudos for that, hope to see more of it.

Simon does an excellent job here in this single issue of helping wrap some things up, whilst letting us know what's ahead. And what is it that's ahead? Some plot points with real kickass potential, that's what.

No doubt, an "A" issue, an effective concluding boost to a tale that wallowed in the mud too long before finding it's legs.

MegatronIDW
2008-02-28, 05:15 PM
Skorponok, like Jhiaxus, is a scientist, so part of what he gets out of it is simply the enjoyment of testing out new and untried technologies. But also, it may be a case of "Two heads being better than one" in his case. Two minds, both with simmilar goals, and both with useful elemtns to them. Dante, as a successful buisnessmen AND leader of a secret soceity, can be presumed to be a fairly shrewd and ingenious individual, who also has the loyalty of many human underlings who can do Skorponok's bidding far more stealthily than, say, a fifty foot robot. And Dante gets the nigh invincibility of having the Skorponok body protecting him. (Also, anyone get the impression Dante may have been near deaths door before he was "Altered"? All that talk about "Needing a new lease on life" makes me wonder if maybe the technology is also being used to keep Dante alive)

Plus, you have to remember that Skorpy is persona non gratis with the other Cons, so he obviously can't count on them for back up. So the Headmasters are his own personal army if you will.

Have to say, LOVED this issue. Good to see that Starscream is indeed being treated as more than the "Token Betrayer" that he was in the cartoon, and in some comics issues (Cough*Dreamwave*Cough). Here, he and Megatron put aside their differences to face a bigger threat. Interesting to note that Runamuck and Runabout obviously weren't that popular among their fellow Decepticons. Not surpising given that they were not the brightest sparks, but I'm sad to see them go.

Megatron once again kicked major ass this time round. Really loving Furman's Megatron here, especially the way he's not afraid to get his hands dirty, unlike certain pretenders to the name (Cough*Beast Wars*Cough). Also loved Sytarscream's "Us versus the world" comment at the end. It seems Screamer may be acting as a knd of voice of reason, given Megs sometimes irrational anger. WOnder if that's why the other Cons brought him back in the first place, rather than to have him outright kill Megs? (After all, he was described as the one who could face Megs and tell him he'd lost it by Atrotrain)

The HArdhead/Hot Rod bit was good. Showed another side to Hardhead, who so far seemed to be the straight forward grunt type Autobot. He' understands that sometimes some orders are not meant to be followed. (As Goldbug once said)

Hunter and Sunstreaker's merging was nicely done, and I'm wondering how much is Hunter and how much is SUnstreaker. It would seem that Sunstreaker was the one in control during the fight, as he says he doesn't know what is being done to "The real him", to impair his movements.

And YES! The Reapers got their asses handed to them! Galvatron is indeed a lethal customer, and his death touch adds a deadly new element to him. Shades of "The Swarm" in the way that that black cloud caused the Reapers to just fall apart.

Speaking of G2, we see Jhiaxus at last, in all his mad scientist-y glory! Loved the "Igor" type way he was hunched over. And we get a full shot of Nemesis Prime. Looking forward to see what those three have planned for Sixshot and Thunderwing. SUbjects for Jhiaxus ti experiment on perhaps? He's the best bet to revive the two, given that he's an expert on Cybertronian C.N.A (Love that phrase)

And Nightbeat is getting closer to the truth. Hopefully that means we'll find out just what he was programmed to do by Galvatron and the others. (Seeing shades of the Battlestar Galactica season one finale here.)

And Grimlock is enetering the picture by the looks of things. This'll probably tie into the Grimlock spotlight in MArch. Some may groan about Furman using this character again, but I feel he's shown remarkable restraint, given Grimmy is one of his favourites. Aside from his appearance in Spotlight: Sixshot, Grimlock has only had two, one panel cameos, and he was deactivated in both of them. He's allowed this to happen naturally, not rushing the characters inclusion into the book.

So, most lingering threads wrapped up, with enough left to make us want more. As others on this board have said, we'll get a continuation of this faster than normal, with the Grimlock spotlight, Focus on the Decepticons and All Hail Megatron all coming soon. Can't wait to see what fate awaits the rest of the Dinobots, Soundwave and, of course: Shockwave. I doubt they'll be enough left of those Skywatch idiots to fit in a matchbox when HE gets loose.

Neuronutter
2008-02-28, 05:38 PM
That was extremely...satisfying, oddly enough. Even though a few stories were left unfinished, or were dealt with off panel, it was still very good and an excellent end to Devastation. More happened than I expected; the suspected reveal, the climactic battle, the deaths of many, the 'bots leaving, Galvy's influence being felt and so on. A very nice end to the arc.

I thought the art was great as usual, EJ seems to have settled since the last issue. However, one thing he did seem to be doing, that I loved, was blending his usual style with something more like Nick's, either to make the book look a bit more balanced or just to be changing his style. A few of the heads, like Starscream on page 18, bottom left panel, I'd swear Nick had drawn it, it's much more cartoony than EJ's normal style. The same thing applied to Megs and Starscream's head on page 20, both look more cartoony than I'd expected. It does look great, but seems a step away from EJ's norm. Jhiaxus on the last page also looked nicely cartoony, something which suited this book really well.

I still wish this arc had been a little more devastating though and that we'd had a sizeable number of casualties on both sides. Have any main cast 'bots been killed yet? Sunstreaker's been mangled, Prime's been put through the wringer, Ironhide's fate is still in question, Bumblebee took a blast to the chest, Jazz lost his arm, but no actual deaths unless I'm mistaken. On the side of the Con's to date we've had holes punched in Starscream, Astrotrain, Skywarp, Blitzwing's been battered twice and now the Battlechargers have been wiped out. I was still expecting a few more lossed on both sides and some 'Bots to actually perish. Ah maybe next arc.

All in all I think this issue did exactly what was needed. Rounded up many of the storylines, left enough open for the next -ation, as well as AHM, which we'll hopefully hear something about now that Devastation is done, and left you waiting (again) for the next part of the ongoing. Can't wait. Oh and what are the odds that Sideswipe will ignore orders and end up on Earth anyway?

Neuronutter
2008-02-28, 05:45 PM
Sixshot and Thunderwing. Subjects for Jhiaxus to experiment on perhaps? He's the best bet to revive the two, given that he's an expert on Cybertronian C.N.A (Love that phrase)

If Jhiaxus revives Thunderwing and Sixshot and gets them on side, along with Galvatron and Nemesis Prime, is there any way they could be stopped? It took the whole of the Deceps and 'Bots to try and fail to stop Thunderwing, let alone the four combined. Doubt even monstructor and every other gestalt, Omega, Prime, Megs and anyone else you'd care to throw into the mix could stop them. Cue matrix-esque ultimate weapon?

Red Dave Prime
2008-02-29, 12:05 AM
Great issue. Theres much fun in the battle tween the decepticons and circus. Starscream in paricular has shined (both this issue and last). Regarding the low number of bot deaths, I get the feeling a transformer dying is a big thing (well, uness you're ramjet) Its been a long war and many of the bots on both sides are thousands of years old. If the spark is what keeps a transformer going (see spotlight arcee) than its fair to say the reapers did alright. Going on the spark thing, just wondering are sunstreakers and scorponoks being kept elsewhere?

I liked Galvatrons infection ability but it seems an incredible power for a guy who is second in command and makes me wonder how powerful Nemisis Prime is to keep him in-check. Also wondering is this going to lead to a four horseman combination for the dead universe (Galvatron is death, sixshot is war, Thunderwing could be Famine (considering what brought about his creation)) Maybe monstroctur could be the fourth?

The point about hot-rod and wheeljacks search for ironhide being a bit over streatched is fair but I got the impression that the devastation arc covers only a few hours so they werent really just standing around.

Lastly, regarding the mosiacs - I was under the impression these were not part of the IDW world but the spoiler one on furmans website and the one in this issue have added a little to the story. they get my thumbs up.

Cant wait for whats upcoming.

MikeB
2008-02-29, 12:45 AM
I liked Galvatrons infection ability but it seems an incredible power for a guy who is second in command and makes me wonder how powerful Nemisis Prime is to keep him in-check. Also wondering is this going to lead to a four horseman combination for the dead universe (Galvatron is death, sixshot is war, Thunderwing could be Famine (considering what brought about his creation)) Maybe monstroctur could be the fourth?

This is pure guesswork given that i haven't received my copy yet, but given that you've talked about galvatron's "infection" would he potentially be pestilence? That could leave thunderwing as famine, sixshot as war, and nemesis prime himself as ric flair/death?

Just a thought anyway...

Four horsemen is a slightly hackneyed idea by now but i reckon it could still be entertaining if handled properly. I suppose that's like most things in that there's nothing wrong with a good spin on a potentially overplayed idea, but you get fewer brownie points if it heads to mediocrity and doesn't have originality.

Red Dave Prime
2008-02-29, 04:32 PM
Galvatron as pestilence makes more sense (loved the ric flair joke too). I would also share your concerns on the storyline going that way but I was only really going that way from a comment that Galvatron makes regarding an apocolypse.

inflatable dalek
2008-03-01, 01:19 PM
For the second issue in a row I'm in the minority by being disappointed. Mainly thanks to (and long time readers may have guessed it) the bloody Reapers. Utterly pointless in every way. With minimal rewriting they could have been removed entirely and replaced with one of the three other groups in the comic who'd be likely to want to fight Transformers/Decepticons (OK, you'd have to heavily rewrite Spotlight Sixshot, but on the plus side you'd have to heavily rewrite Spotlight Sixshot). About the only supposed advantage the Reapers had over- say- Hound's Autobots is their toughness, but I never really believed in their planet destroying powers, nor that the Decepticons wouldn't have finished them unaided soon enough.

And without the Reapers some more space could have been given over to filling out some of the underdeveloped threads (such as Ironhide's rescue). It's annoying befause there is good stuff here, but it's burried in pointless padding.

T
What I was not expecting, contrary to my own predictions, was that Hound and crew were in fact called to rendezvous with Prime in Garrus 9, presumably tying in with the events in Spotlight: Arcee.

Indeed, so again I wonder why Prime didn't leave Ark 32 in Earth orbit and just meet up with Hound and co to sort it out. Taking a bunch of battered up soldiers into a combat situation is fairly pointless.

One of my qualms with this particular area, which incidentially has more to do with the pacing, is though Hot Rod told Hardhead to take Wheeljack and Ironhide, which also lets us know that he'll be okay, we don't actually see Ironhide being retrieved. It kind makes the previous 5 issues of Hot Rod and Wheeljack hunting him down seem of no essential consequence. Especially since that particular subplot could've been told in less issues.

What's really odd about that is that Hardhead is the only one who could have rescued Ironhide, but as he doesn't tell Hot Rod this I'm not sure how the young Autobot worked out he was safe.

Oh, and on the final page, we finally get a full body shot of Nemesis Nova Prime (sorry, don't care much for the 'Nemesis' premise) and Jhiaxus. Though I am having my own G2-style joygasm over the revelation, I can't help but notice that Jhiaxus' appearance (meaning the way he is standing) reminds me of a sniveling hunchbacked sidekick. The way he's posed, he ought to be saying "Oh, yesss - snort - Yes master!" Oh well. It's Jhiaxus, so eye iz happ-e!111!!

Disapointment in the design was my first reaction as well- Though in fairness I've never been overly keen on his fat lipped G2 look and whilst Igor isn't a style that would suit his original characterisation it may well fit in fine with his IDW Mad Scientist take.

Rossum
2008-03-04, 03:35 AM
Glad to see I'm not the only one who thought Jhiaxus looked Igor-ish, next to Nemesis Prime.

I liked reading this issue, but don't like the results. The action was fun to see, and I liked the excitement of all these events coming to a head; but there was a little too much set-up for the next series, and not enough resolution in some areas. Sunstreaker and Hunter's bits were the best part for me; followed by the Decepticon-Reaper brawl. Nightbeat taking off on his own, and Hardhead meeting up with Hot Rod were, I dunno, a little bland for the final issue in an arc.

Still really love the series as a whole, though. The two panels with the Ark taking off from Earth say it all. There's tons more story to be had.

Terome
2008-03-04, 11:52 AM
Found this to be very satisfying. A good wrap up and a lot of questions thrown into the mix. E.J's experimentation is intriguing too - seems to combine the best parts of his usual style with a Nick Roche flair. I like it.

Pleased to see the end of the Reapers as a looming threat. I didn't find them as horrible as a lot of others did but there are enough sinister third force factions running around as it is. Speaking of which, I get the impression that Galvatron is going to keep Sixshot to himself ... I wonder what the Decepticons will make of his sudden disappearance. Surely that must be quite a tactical strike against them.

Not too sure what's happening with Sunstreaker's original head. I guess I'm not supposed to. Would be pretty nifty if it was surplus to requirements now.

Also, I hope that Megatron gets a change in alt-mode now that he's used up all of his tricks.

Halfshell
2008-03-04, 12:01 PM
Speaking of which, I get the impression that Galvatron is going to keep Sixshot to himself ...

Intriguing notion. I'm left wondering what Galvatron was sent to Earth for... I got the impression from his inner monologue that stopping the Reapers was something he decided to do there and then... if he wasn't there to neutralise the threat, and he wasn't there for Sixshot... what was his primary objective?

And what were those snakey coil things he was stood amongst?

I wonder what the Decepticons will make of his sudden disappearance. Surely that must be quite a tactical strike against them.

I doubt he would have had much of a role to play, given his decision to side with the Reapers. Still, missing body = questions.

Interested in who they'll call in now. Seeing as they probably don't know that Scorponok and Soundwave are in play as well.

Not too sure what's happening with Sunstreaker's original head. I guess I'm not supposed to. Would be pretty nifty if it was surplus to requirements now.

Ah, memories. Just think - Marvel Fort Max is still just a head on a table back on Nebulos...

Also, I hope that Megatron gets a change in alt-mode now that he's used up all of his tricks.

Machine Wars jet mode!
Go-Bots car mode!

Yayyyyyyyyyy.

Terome
2008-03-04, 12:38 PM
Intriguing notion. I'm left wondering what Galvatron was sent to Earth for... I got the impression from his inner monologue that stopping the Reapers was something he decided to do there and then... if he wasn't there to neutralise the threat, and he wasn't there for Sixshot... what was his primary objective?

Yes, it's a mystery for sure. I'm getting the impression that he was there to protect someone rather than something like the Earth itself or the Ore-13 it supports. Optimus and Megatron are the obvious choices, but maybe Nemesis really, really didn't want to lose Nightbeat, his ace-in-the-hole?

And what were those snakey coil things he was stood amongst?

Those are just bits of the Decepticon base, aren't they? I'm sure I remember seeing them in Infiltration.

I doubt he would have had much of a role to play, given his decision to side with the Reapers.

Seeing the extent to which they seem to have fiddled with Sixshot already, I'd guess that they just wipe his memory or implant the brain of, say, Runabout, in his noggin. Actually, that would be awesome.

Interested in who they'll call in now. Seeing as they probably don't know that Scorponok and Soundwave are in play as well.

I'm still confused about the casual non-appearance of Ratbat earlier on. Did he arrive in the same invisible plane as Ramjet? Who in their right mind would bring Ratbat across the galaxy to do the job a spy satellite could do?
I have a desire to see Stunticons brought over to Earth. We'll probably most of the Special Teams popping up all of a sudden.

Ah, memories. Just think - Marvel Fort Max is still just a head on a table back on Nebulos...

"Brainstorm! Another round of '99 Bottles Of Beer On The Wall?"
I'd like to see a Mosaic where civilisation has collapsed on Nebulous and the Headmaster heads are carried around like so many Arks Of The Covenant. And all they do is sing "99 Bottles Of Beer On The Wall," since it's hard to break the habit.

Machine Wars jet mode! Go-Bots car mode!

Whatever happens, I would like to see him followed everywhere by Megaplex. They could be the new Runabout-Runamuck double act. They would be many jokes about how blue guys approach a given situation with manner x while grey guys apporach the same situation in manner y! Sales would sky-rocket. There would be a mini-series for every Duocon.

Halfshell
2008-03-04, 12:44 PM
Seeing the extent to which they seem to have fiddled with Sixshot already, I'd guess that they just wipe his memory or implant the brain of, say, Runabout, in his noggin. Actually, that would be awesome.

Quality notion.

I'm still confused about the casual non-appearance of Ratbat earlier on. Did he arrive in the same invisible plane as Ramjet?

I presumed he orbital-bounced down at the same time as Sixshot.

Disappointed by his lack of appearance since.

I have a desire to see Stunticons brought over to Earth. We'll probably most of the Special Teams popping up all of a sudden.

I was thinking earlier about who Megs could call in. I'm expecting Darkwing, Dreadwind and Thrust, plus maybe Octane and (some of) the Stunticons.

I'm still not sure why Astrotrain was in the initial Infiltration squad ahead of Octane. Shuttle/Train is conspicuous/useless compared to Jet/Tanker.

There would be a mini-series for every Duocon.

If only.

inflatable dalek
2008-03-04, 03:25 PM

Is it possible he hasn't actually achieved his goal yet and will be still on Earth behind the scenes at the start of the next arc? Spoilers for the Furman Mosaic:

Considering Hunter's talk of having been to another Dimension I wonder if that means he actually travelled over to "the hole in the Universe", or if Galvatron is there to open up a portal to the Dead Universe on Earth?

I presumed he orbital-bounced down at the same time as Sixshot.

Disappointed by his lack of appearance since.

I suppose it's not impossible he was always there, just in a very low key spy role- perhaps the Autobots base's location was compromised very early? I'm still not sure why- considering that his mind was probably his biggest asset Soundwave/Megatron had him turned into a mindless drone.

I'm still not sure why Astrotrain was in the initial Infiltration squad ahead of Octane. Shuttle/Train is conspicuous/useless compared to Jet/Tanker.

Yeah, finally getting confirmation on the train mode made him really stand out amoungst the original crew, all of whom either had deidcated military modes or inconspicuous car alts. Even the Shuttle is sod all use for a disguise in space considering he sems to be only about the same size as the jets. Actually, didn't he start off as a bit bigger than the others?

My main want from All Hail Megatron! is that it pushes the plot threads forward. I'm worried that as a fairly late announcement it wasn't part of the original arc plan and as such will feel like treading water for four issues before reseting everything back to how Furman needs it.

Oh, and Terome's ideas are all more worthy than Man and Machine. Though is there anything firm to say the Autobots didn't pick up their original heads before leaving Nebulous?

Terome
2008-03-04, 04:28 PM
I suppose it's not impossible he was always there, just in a very low key spy role- perhaps the Autobots base's location was compromised very early? I'm still not sure why- considering that his mind was probably his biggest asset Soundwave/Megatron had him turned into a mindless drone.

There's nothing to suggest he's mindless but the whole concept of him being forcibly downgraded into a cassette is quite high on the list of Megatron: Origin's greatest crimes.

Even the Shuttle is sod all use for a disguise in space considering he sems to be only about the same size as the jets. Actually, didn't he start off as a bit bigger than the others?

Only in that first set of covers for Issue #0, I recall. Maybe Starscream's long-term goals required the Decepticons to have a tiny space shuttle at some point and Astrotrain simply had nothing to do until then except man the phones? Octane would have made a much better choice in all aspects, especially as he's got a personality that fits well into a few asides. Has Astrotrain made an impression on anyone who has been reading the series besides from his very silly choice of alt modes?

My initial idea on Astrotrain was that he was an Invader ZIM kind of faux pas, but the level of understanding of Earth vehicles that Starscream would have to attain to make any part of the Infiltration plan succeed would rule that one out, I think.

My main want from All Hail Megatron! is that it pushes the plot threads forward. I'm worried that as a fairly late announcement it wasn't part of the original arc plan and as such will feel like treading water for four issues before reseting everything back to how Furman needs it.

I got the impression that it was announced so late and generally shrouded in so much secrecy because its very nature revealed a big fat plot point. My instinct tells me that you'll probably turn out right about AHM being a bit of a time-filler. It might well be a very entertaining time-filler, though.

Oh, and Terome's ideas are all more worthy than Man and Machine. Though is there anything firm to say the Autobots didn't pick up their original heads before leaving Nebulous?

It's funnier if they didn't?
So what's the bet that a Decepticon gets hold of that darn alien symbiote for NATF v2 / Spider-Man 4? Hey? Hey? Also: Iron Man turns into a jet.

inflatable dalek
2008-03-04, 05:28 PM
I got the impression that it was announced so late and generally shrouded in so much secrecy because its very nature revealed a big fat plot point. My instinct tells me that you'll probably turn out right about AHM being a bit of a time-filler. It might well be a very entertaining time-filler, though.

Hopefully that will be the case. Though it's not as if IDW are afraid of big fat spoilers, the Furman Mosaic is set two years down the line and the Scorponok situation had become farcical long before that. I'm also a little cynical that after a comic called Devastatio featured very little Devastation (and most of that caried out by non-Transformers, the biggest explosion was the USAF bombing of Florida) that AHM won't live up to its "Full scale invasion" promise and will have the Cons just dominate Wales or somesuch place.

Halfshell
2008-03-04, 05:30 PM
Is it possible he hasn't actually achieved his goal yet and will be still on Earth behind the scenes at the start of the next arc?

Well, considering the last page of Devastation comprises Galvatron being in the same room as Nemesis Prime and being told he's done well...

I'm worried that as a fairly late announcement

McCarthy's been alluding to the project for a while now... as Terome says, the lack of official announcement is likely due to it giving away the end of Devastation.

Though is there anything firm to say the Autobots didn't pick up their original heads before leaving Nebulous?

The fact it would render the keeping of their binary bonded partner even more senseless than it was in the first place?

Only in that first set of covers for Issue #0

Yep. Everywhere else he's been clearly in the same size bracket as everybody else.

Has Astrotrain made an impression on anyone who has been reading the series besides from his very silly choice of alt modes?

Other than him being the one who orchestrated / arranged the entire Starscream revival. Though very little about it was "gosh, only Astrotrain could come up with that"... more he was the one that got pulled out of the hat. Let's face it, very few Decepticons receive anything more than generic characterisation at the best of times... abilities and alt modes aside, as far as personality and behaviour go, they're treated as being fairly interchangeable.

Terome
2008-03-04, 05:44 PM
will have the Cons just dominate Wales or somesuch place.

Torchwood cross-over! There will be so much kissing!

But yes, I was expecting a town or two to get wiped out. That punch-up with Sixshot was probably quite devastating if it happened on your house. It's just a matter of scale.

Other than him being the one who orchestrated / arranged the entire Starscream revival. Though very little about it was "gosh, only Astrotrain could come up with that"... more he was the one that got pulled out of the hat. Let's face it, very few Decepticons receive anything more than generic characterisation at the best of times... abilities and alt modes aside, as far as personality and behaviour go, they're treated as being fairly interchangeable.

Yeah, it's a damn shame really. We're on twenty two issues now and I can't call up one thing about Blitzwing other than, "Tends to cop it early." The Autobots haven't suffered quite as much, though. Even Jazz and Hardhead have a shred of personality that keeps them apart. I'm not convinced that it's a question of pagespace but it might have more to do with the fact that the Decepticons as a whole are basically an ambulatory plot-forwarding device and always seem to have their shit together. Characterisation is easier to cram into moments where the characters are doing things other than being aggressive or running about. My big hope for All Hail Megatron is that we'll see the Decepticons do something other than shoot at the Autobots to further the plot along. Maybe we'll even get a quiet moment here and there.

inflatable dalek
2008-03-05, 06:54 AM
McCarthy's been alluding to the project for a while now... as Terome says, the lack of official announcement is likely due to it giving away the end of Devastation.

Tis a bit of a bugger he had to blab about it on Australian TV before Devastation finished really. I'm almost certainly being unduly cynical on this, but after the almost glacial movement of some of the ..tion storylines to date I really don't want another writer just keeping things in a holding pattern till Revalation kicks in.

The fact it would render the keeping of their binary bonded partner even more senseless than it was in the first place?

Yep. Everywhere else he's been clearly in the same size bracket as everybody else.

I knew I'd seen him bigger somewhere but couldn't place it. I guess the poor Bastard got shrunk in a redesign between the covers for zero and his proper dťbut.

The only reason I can think for Furman favouring Astrotrain over someone like Octane (other than the slim chance of him thinking "IDW may go the same way as DW so I must fulfil my burning desire to write for Astrotrain NOW!") is to makes the original Decepticon line up a bit more visually interesting. Ironically his arrival on Earth now their cover is blown completely would make more sense. He could quiet happily fulfil his Trainspotter/Moonraker fanboy desires.

Torchwood cross-over! There will be so much kissing!

Torchwood Vs. KISS Players. :eek:

Terome
2008-03-05, 07:15 AM
I really don't want another writer just keeping things in a holding pattern till Revalation kicks in.

I was thinking about Furman's Mosaic and the reference to the 'Full scale Decepticon invasion' sounds quite promising in terms of keeping things brisk. Though it also means that the whole thing will blow over in under two years.

Torchwood Vs. KISS Players.

What are you doing in the mail room? Stacey, clear the room next to mine. We're going to give this kid his own office!

Halfshell
2008-03-05, 09:04 AM
I knew I'd seen him bigger somewhere but couldn't place it. I guess the poor Bastard got shrunk in a redesign between the covers for zero and his proper dťbut.

More than likely the person who drew the cover didn't bother checking. Far as I know, Astrotrain's never been depicted as bigger in robot mode anywhere else.

And I refuse to debate the relevance of Infiltration's covers any further. As should anybody who's seen them.

zigzagger
2008-03-05, 10:40 AM
EDIT:Oops, wrong quote.

What's really odd about that is that Hardhead is the only one who could have rescued Ironhide, but as he doesn't tell Hot Rod this I'm not sure how the young Autobot worked out he was safe.

Okay, not meaning to sound redundant, because I am sure it has already been discussed at some point in some other Devastation related thread, but can someone please explain to me why Hot Rod and Wheeljack didn't use orbital bounce.....other than having a reason to have the two meet up with the Sunstreakers. In the first issue, Ratchet is able to track down Ironhide. For arguments sake, let's say he could not pinpoint his precise location, he was still able to ascertain what wrecking yard he was at, down to the time he was scheduled to go the pneumatic press.

Aww, would that have interfered with Furman's plan to have the Ark shot down (well, yeah, of course it does)?

Halfshell
2008-03-05, 12:24 PM
Okay, not meaning to sound redundant, because I am sure it has already been discussed at some point in some other Devastation related thread, but can someone please explain to me why Hot Rod and Wheeljack didn't use orbital bounce.....

I wondered that when Hardhead showed up, but quickly rationalised it as -- at the time -- the Autobots were still covert, and suddenly materialising in the yard would have drawn undue attention.

By the time of #6, however, all that had changed.

Actually... have we seen evidence of orbital bounces from one grounded place to another? I know Megs did one in Infiltration, but it's probable he had a ship in orbit. IIRC, all the Autobot bounces have involved a ship above ground... It's not a teleport, so much as a "up to one place, down to another". Hence the orbital part. And the bounce part.

Ark-19 was underwater at the time Hot Rod and Wheeljack were despatched. Though it is possible they could have co-ordinated a bounce from Ark-32, it's the whole attention thing.

Though that does leave the issue of why an orbital bounce before dawn would be drawing attention in the first place...

I'm more concerned about why they sent Hardhead down there to get Hot Rod, rather than just... y'know... contacting him on comms.

Terome
2008-03-05, 01:18 PM
Well, it's that whole Asimovian thing of traveling the most energy-efficient way rather than the most technologically wonderous way. When Hot Rod and Wheeljack left the Ark-19, they weren't in much of a hurry and didn't expect to encounter any enemy action (which they were prepared for in any case). As for the communications thing, I think it was mentioned somewhere that they were still on the Ark-19's radio and hadn't thought to change over to Ark-32's system, what with all the Headmastering...

These timelines don't really seem to be matching up very well... exactly how much time elapsed in Devastation? I think it can be figured out by using the Hot Rod / Wheeljack plotline as a key...

Halfshell
2008-03-05, 01:26 PM
They said about having no reply from Ark-19, but I'd think that Ark-32 would still be able to contact them. I mean if you ring home and there's no answer, it's not to stop them calling you from their mobile...

The timeline thing has probably been my biggest concern... I've not been at all convinced by the concurrency of events since the arc started.

Terome
2008-03-05, 01:35 PM
Yeah, a timeline is not a hard thing to figure out when you're writing a multi-stranded six-part story. Maybe I'll put one together when I grab a moment. I think we'll find that what we have is a chronicle of the shortest alien invasion in fiction besides that one in the second season of South Park.

Halfshell
2008-03-05, 01:39 PM
I've already managed to piece something together timelining all the Spotlights best as I can, but the ongoing's a bastard to tackle given the density of events and the fact that time seems to be all over the place...

Seriously, given Megatron's appearance in both helps us place Stormbringer and Infiltration as concurrent to such a finite degree... that drive back from the bunker to Lake Michigan must have taken aaaages.

Whereas Sixshot can zip from Florida to Oregon in the time it takes for Hot Rod and Wheeljack to decide "urk... this could take a while."

Galvatron can travel from (presumably) the Benzuli Expanse to Earth in the time it takes for Hunter to have a brief conversation, yet I doubt Hound has even left Cybertron.

Aaaack.

AskShockwave
2008-03-05, 02:48 PM
As ever, I got this kinda late. So I'll be brief!

The revelation of Skorponok's head made me (honestly) laugh out loud. It almost felt like furman was playing it as the culmination of an in-joke as opposed to the 'startling reveal'.

It'll certainly be interesting to see how Skorponok's Machination get on with the newly revealed earthbound decepticons. Have there been any indication as to where he had previously fitted in with the Decepticon heirarchy? It would seem like a waste if there weren't some extrapolation on his back history with the cause, and what he makes of having to 'share the cake' with former co-workers (though, presumably, this'll be what All Hail's intended for)...

Brilliant full-pager of Skorp's head, though - in fact, there were quite a few stand out moments with Su's art. Hot Rod transform/drive off moment, Skorponock coming through the wall... I must admit, this is exactly why the Reapers disappoint me - there doesn't seem to be much flair in their design, nothing that makes them seem different from the well worn 'muscly hairy strong landbeast'/'flying mecha dragon' tropes. Even what seemed like a nod to the R-Type snake ended up looking like a dragon with guns.

I'm also not loving Galvatron much - I guess it's just his characterisation in the G1 Marvel continuity that makes it stick somehow. In this continuity, he seems slower and more ponderous, with a much chunkier design. No bad thing, in itself. But when it was suggested that there would be Devestation + Galvatron + disposables (the reapers), it seemed like the action would hark back somewhat to Time Wars, etc. Instead, he strangles the Deathbringer a bit, and was a little verbose (though it would've been interesting if the reaper boss had taken his orders literally). He also shot a mecha dragon, but there were plenty of them kicking about.

I must admit, it really affected me when Runabout bought it. Runamuck following suit on the very next page undermined it somewhat, though - what could've been a progressive casualty count seemed like an excercise in getting rid of the 'obvious ones'. Couldn't astrotrain have gone the same way? Or Thundercracker, in place of 'amuck? Overall, though, the battle was well handled, and Megatron using energon halitosis to dispatch a ghost made me wonder if the Furman Scenario Generator hadn't caught fire or something..

So (despite the enivitable pickiness) i enjoyed this, and for that matter, the entire arc. Good times, good times.

Halfshell
2008-03-05, 02:55 PM
Have there been any indication as to where he had previously fitted in with the Decepticon heirarchy?

Nopenope. :)

Brilliant full-pager of Skorp's head, though - in fact, there were quite a few stand out moments with Su's art. Hot Rod transform/drive off moment, Skorponock coming through the wall...

My fave is Huntstreaker bursting out of Machination HQ.

Oh, and Runamuck's head flying towards camera. :)

AskShockwave
2008-03-06, 01:26 PM
My fave is Huntstreaker bursting out of Machination HQ.

I must admit, I'm really not sure what to think of the pairing of Hunter/Sunstreaker. Unless Furman plays the binary-bonding-thought-clash differently from previous iterations, the set up of "I'm cool and hate humans"/"I'm not cool and still a bit human" seems like it'll have fairly obvious plot points. Still, he handled the Wheeljack/Hot Rod pair up really well, with some nice, unexpected characterisation, so here's hoping for more of that.

Halfshell
2008-03-06, 01:29 PM
More than their dynamic, I'm looking forward to the interaction with other Transformers.

Specifically the inevitable meeting with Hot Rod, being as (unless I'm spectacularly mistaken), Hot Rod hasn't met Hunter before... so unless he's been thoroughly briefed on specifics, he's got no reason to believe Mr O'Nion isn't just another Machination agent...

AskShockwave
2008-03-06, 01:50 PM
Good point. The inevitable conversation to avoid would be the old "If you're REALLY Sunstreaker, (insert question only Sunstreaker could know the answer to)?". Even then, I suppose the Headmasters did make nigh on constant reference to how they knew everything Sunstreaker did, so trust based on that would be a massive clanger. Yeah - Hot Rod vs Huntstreaker. Place your bets...

Terome
2008-03-06, 02:42 PM
Is anyone else really pleased about the big cast shake-up? It's a trick that Fables has done to really good effect and I can't wait to see how things turn out with an almost entirely different Autobot cast in play on Earth. I hope that Prime and the others keep off of Earth for a good while - maybe popping up in the Spotlights and the between-ation arcs while Hot Rod, the Dinobots and Sunstreaker the Headmaster dance with Megatron, Soundwave, Shockwave and Scoponok.

Hmm... actually, all of the Decepticon cast of note is on Earth now. Prime's lot are going to have Banzaitron, Dreadwind and the Predacons to deal with and not a lot else...

Actually, that sounds awesome too.

Halfshell
2008-03-06, 02:48 PM
I love Fables.

Ahem.

Prime's lot are going to have Banzaitron, Dreadwind and the Predacons to deal with and not a lot else...

And the Dead Universe cast, lest we forget.

Banzaitron's got the Combaticons at his disposal too, which is awesome. I could spend ages listing the Cons we've not seen in "present day" yet.

Prime et al are bound to find their way back to Earth eventually... else their entire arc threatens to become "Verity and Jimmy's Big Space Adventure." Yay. :-/

Denyer
2008-03-06, 02:49 PM
Anything left that hasn't been said? Favourite issue of the Earth arc, personally. Josh's colouring adds a bit of extra polish, and the pin-up at the back is a nice touch too. Throw in the painted cover and this is an especially good-looking installment.

Red Dave Prime
2008-03-06, 07:26 PM
Whatever about the mistakes/ flaws in timelines and other plot problems, I've really really enjoyed IDWs series. A few mis-steps but its kept me buying the issues as soon as they come out which says something. And its fresh feeling too, unlike the on-going DW series that (thankfully) collapsed in on itself. All I'd look for from the IDW staff is be a bit more characterisation for both bots and humans. If you are going to have humans in it think of how that might more realistically might play out (cloverfields show of military reaction worked much better than Devastations if you get me). I'd be very interested in a decently realised political response shown by the worlds goverment in AHM. And more adults on the human side. Kids will only bring you trouble...

Halfshell
2008-03-06, 08:01 PM
I'd be very interested in a decently realised political response shown by the worlds goverment in AHM.

Definitely be interesting to see if/how the Facsimiles are involved.

Kids will only bring you trouble...

Words to live by. Fnarr. ;)

Halfshell
2008-03-07, 09:51 AM
(Sans the Ironhide retrieval bit. Still not satisfied with its omission, despite Furman's explanation (http://idwpublishing.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=61025&highlight=#61025%29). But at least we got one though :)).

Meh. Assuming that's a ref to his blog comments, tt's an acknowledgement more than an explanation.

I mean "couldn't find space for it in the story" isn't really an explanation, considering the amount of page space he devoted to the plot strand in previous issues. Something seemingly went wrong in the arc-mapping stage.

"I'm going to build it in this issue, this issue, this issue... and for the final conclusion... oh, I won't bother."

inflatable dalek
2008-03-07, 09:58 AM
And if space really were a factor, would it not have made sense to drop the bulk of the Grimlock stuff (except perhaps the acknowledgement that Skywatch are aware of the situation in Oregon?). Despite the cool cliffhanger there's nothing there that couldn't be summed up in two lines at the start of his Spotlight anyway. Then those couple of panels could have been used to show Hardhead rescuing Ironhide. Or even just telling Hot Rod he rescued Ironhide...

Halfshell
2008-03-07, 09:59 AM
Alternatively, all that smashing around between Hot Rod and the Headmasters could have had a speech bubble from Wheeljack saying "found him" without breaking anything up at all.

Or we could have dropped the full-page splash of Scorpy's head, and had his first appearance as the robot smashing through the wall...

AskShockwave
2008-03-07, 12:52 PM
Could they have gotten away with an ej su cover of hardhead carrying away ironhide? Might've been a bit less spoilertastic...

Red Dave Prime
2008-03-07, 07:36 PM
Clearly the next issue in the continuity will start with a panel showing Hardhead and Ironhide on the ark.

Ironhide: "Thanks for saving me Hardhead. Man, that battle between us and the 4 stray reapers who didnt look like gimps and the 2 sunstreaker clones who actually stayed in robot mode to fight us was a belter!"

Hardhead: "Damn straight, and that bit were you tore the heads off the headmasters and caused a huge explosion that dwarfed the fart of damage that sixshot did was amazing. Oh well, back to work..."

Rossum
2008-03-08, 03:45 AM
Meh. Assuming that's a ref to his blog comments, tt's an acknowledgement more than an explanation.

I mean "couldn't find space for it in the story" isn't really an explanation, considering the amount of page space he devoted to the plot strand in previous issues. Something seemingly went wrong in the arc-mapping stage.

"I'm going to build it in this issue, this issue, this issue... and for the final conclusion... oh, I won't bother."

Yeah, I love this series six ways to Sunday, but there's no excusing the Ironhide plotline. Heck, the events in Dev 4 and 5 were basically the same thing--"We've got to rescue Ironhide, but these darn Headmasters are in the way!", so surely a panel or two could have been sacrificed to actually finding Ironhide.

I'm guessing Simon Furman just planned the story as a way of introducing the Autobots (and the readers) to the Headmasters, and then knocking them out so that Hunter would be the only one left in Sunstreaker's head. That's all well and good, but I can't fathom why he framed it in the context of a race against the clock to save a well-liked character from death. Did he really think everyone would be more interested in the Headmasters than they would be in the fate of Ironhide?

Halfshell
2008-03-08, 12:26 PM
Aha. Timelineable!

The bulk of the thing happens in about three hours. Just over, probably.

That's how long Hot Rod says they've got to save Ironhide at the beginning of Part 2. Bear in mind Ark-19's already been clobbered by Sixshot, and they actually get there just in time in Part 4, whilst the Autobots are scrapping with Sixshot in Florida.

What happens after can last as long as you want. I can't see them starting the presses on Ironhide after a reported break in is followed by a fullscale demolition derby in the yard.

Hunter... well, we don't know how long the Headmaster link took. And he could have been standing about in front of the Sunstreaker body for ages trying to work out what to do.

I do believe it works. And all I needed to do was... uhm... read it. :o

inflatable dalek
2008-03-08, 01:02 PM
What happens after can last as long as you want. I can't see them starting the presses on Ironhide after a reported break in is followed by a fullscale demolition derby in the yard.

Didn't they arrive at the Junk Yard after the process was supposed to start? [Doesn't Have The Issue To Hand to Check]

Halfshell
2008-03-08, 01:20 PM
Didn't they arrive at the Junk Yard after the process was supposed to start? [Doesn't Have The Issue To Hand to Check]

7:53 am, according to Wheeljack. Sign on the gates still says closed. Ironhide was in the first batch for when they open at 8.

Owner arrives to open up and finds there's been a break-in, calls the police, the Headmasters intercept the call.

Osku
2008-03-09, 10:49 PM
Lost my patience and downloaded scans for #5 and #6 (I get my comics 1-2 months later than most people).

In short, good miniseries, with lots of nice things going on. Ironhide/Hot Rod/Wheeljack plot was mostly waste of space. Felt more like an ongoing series (which it in practice is) than a miniseries though.

Anxiously waiting the issues arrive, so I can properly reread the story arc. It just isn't the same reading the story from computer screen.

Intriguing notion. I'm left wondering what Galvatron was sent to Earth for... I got the impression from his inner monologue that stopping the Reapers was something he decided to do there and then... if he wasn't there to neutralise the threat, and he wasn't there for Sixshot... what was his primary objective?Yes, it's a mystery for sure. I'm getting the impression that he was there to protect someone rather than something like the Earth itself or the Ore-13 it supports. Optimus and Megatron are the obvious choices, but maybe Nemesis really, really didn't want to lose Nightbeat, his ace-in-the-hole?
I read it that way that his mission was to stop the total destruction of Earth. "My work here is done. Earth's structure and sanctity preserved... for now."

Galvatron's original mission propably was to stop Sixshot from destroying Earth but after he was taken down the Reapers became his targets. Sixshot's body was a bonus

Halfshell
2008-03-09, 11:24 PM
I read it that way that his mission was to stop the total destruction of Earth. "My work here is done. Earth's structure and sanctity preserved... for now."

Galvatron's original mission propably was to stop Sixshot from destroying Earth but after he was taken down the Reapers became his targets. Sixshot's body was a bonus

Works for me.

Cliffjumper
2008-03-20, 05:38 PM
Have catched up on teh comics (cheers matey :)), if not the topic... Broadly enjoyed Devastation, though I did find it a) slightly anti-climactic and b) nowhere near as interesting as the surrounding spotlights. Bear in mind these are all first impressions

I also felt the Ironhide subplot was a bit... vapid. Once they established he wasn't going to be crushed, it just felt like dead frames a little. I mean, Hardhead just turns up and goes "Oh, and fetch Ironhide"...

The whole arc built beautifully up to about #4/#5, and then it just sort of flopped a little... the decision to pull out from Earth didn't carry half the weight it should have done, most notably, and I'm failing to see the point in the Reapers - surely there were less tedious ways to showcase Galvatron's power and murky agenda (I felt the spotlight did a great job).

Also, you'd think the Machination would at least respray the Sunstreakers to make them a bit less obvious... "Oh, a whole fleet of yellow generic sportscars... Nothing odd about that".

A little bit of a let-down after the decent Escalation, IMO. The problem with a portentous one-word title is you tend to expect the name to be reflected by the material... I guess "Another Bit of Escalating" wouldn't solicict well. Furman copped out from putting the Autobots in a particularly tricky situation (Sixshot injured, what, two of them...). At least, any worse than they were at the end of the previous mini - it's not like they had a massive base and support network on Earth or anything

Lots of good bits, I must say - characterisation was generally good, and Furman's dialogue is getting better. The pace was very good for the most part, though there were a couple of subplots that mucked with it a little bit. And hardly any Jubilee - fantastic move. I also love the general feel of the IDWverse, especially in that Earth is just one of many battlegrounds (rather than it just being Oregon and occasionally bits of Cybertron).

inflatable dalek
2008-03-20, 08:46 PM
Also, you'd think the Machination would at least respray the Sunstreakers to make them a bit less obvious... "Oh, a whole fleet of yellow generic sportscars... Nothing odd about that".

I'm still thinking that the Machination are a bunch of rich/gullible/desperate (if Dante is dying) idiots who have been sold a white elephant by Scorponok. I'd even say there's a good chance Scorpy has gone completely insane after years as a just a head. Certainly if the Headmaster plan is supposed to make logical sense and they're meant to be a credible threat we're either missing a big piece of the puzzle or Furman didn't convey it very well.

Cliffjumper
2008-03-20, 09:44 PM
The bit I really don't seem to follow is Hardhead... what... just appears from...erm? Did the Ark-NumberNumber just coincidentally crash next door to the scrapyard, or was the whole "OMFG, we've got to drive miles and miles and miles to find Ironhide!" just nonsense, or forgotten in the "Hi, I'm Simon Furman and I really can't write structured limited series, have some toss in the last couple of issues, but don't worry, I'll explain some of it in the first half of the next mini before that hits the wall" of it all?

I really can't emphasise the gulf in writing between the main minis and the Spotlights. Even the poorest Spotlights at least have some form of basic beginning/middle/end structure to them, whereas the minis seem to be three issues of beginning, then three of middle.

It's difficult to explain. You write it down and there's an awful lot happening in Devastation (no actual Devastation unless you happen to be a spook in a Robbie Savage-style banana sportscar, or Jazz' arm, but never mind, Time Wars was more of a scuffle and The Man of Iron probably wasn't made of iron) - the Reapers and Sixshot arriving on Earth, Megatron doing stuff, the Autobots being compromised and then pulling out, the ordinary fleshbags finding out about the TFs, all that nonsense with Buster and Sunstreaker, Scorponok, Starscream's back... and yet the whole thing feels so damn languid.

Something about the style of the writing (and the art - IMHO, Su is competent without possessing a particular amount of zap... a modern-day Jeff Anderson) just isn't capable of transmitting the drama the situations need.

The thing to think about is that we're basically 18 (or 22, with Stormbringer) issues into the "ongoing". I still don't feel the plot is advanced enough for this sort of stage - there's a lot going on, but I'm still skeptical as to Furman's ability to convert what he sets up - with the damp squib of the Reapers (again, what was the point?) being folded into the main title not exactly helping my worries.

IDW are getting lots and lots and lots of things right. But it still feels like a lot less than the sum of its' parts. In an odd sort of way, it's a bit reminiscent of MTMTE #8 - lots of the details are firmly in place, but at the moment they're not being utilised by the big picture.

I maintain that Furman works best under some sort of constraint.

inflatable dalek
2008-03-20, 09:52 PM
The bit I really don't seem to follow is Hardhead... what... just appears from...erm?

The assumption seems to be he orbital bounced down from Ark 32. And no, don't ask me why they didn't just do that in the first place.

I'm glad someone else shares my misgivings about the pacing and ending, I was starting to feel like I missed something big amongst all the praise the title has received.

Cliffjumper
2008-03-20, 10:38 PM
I still feel all these wonderful elements aren't geling, or at least not to the extent they possibly should do. The pacing is still a big problem - it's not as "OH MY GOD JUST ****ING KILL ME" dull as Infiltration, but there's something going badly wrong somewhere. Stuff's happening spasmodically - Wheeljack and Super Speedbreaker are fighting the Headmasters for something like 288 pages, then *bing*, Hardhead turns up and magically solves everything in a couple of frames; Hunter O'Comedyname is wandering around the Machination's HQ for ages, and then *bing*, he's one with Sunstreaker and they're off. And was there any point to "Jubilee and the other one we really haven't got a plan for [Jimmy, is it? Let's pretend it matters...] are blue and DED!!!"/"No, wait, they were just pretending/It was an art error!" bit? Furman needs to make his mind up as to whether he wants to be doing this mature, gritty TPB-orientated series, or whether he wants to just do Marvel UK eleven-pagers. Because the tone is staggeringly uneven, the grandoise and the banal rubbing shoulders from page to page.

The battle with Sixshot was pretty poor too. I mean, obviously they weren't going to have him just San Francisco the Autobots and that'd be that, but considering the hype fleshwounds to Bumblebee and Jazz were a bit of a cop-out. From the second he started doing his whole "Oh, let's make this fun" schtick I was thinking "So, what's going to conveniently call him away?". A big-name Autobot casualty should have come from all that crap - does Jazz really have some higher purpose, or is he just going to be there in the background like he was for the past 18 issues? I mean, they haven't even killed off Sunstreaker... The grand total of Autobot losses from this sortie are Jazz' arm, a spot on the bottom of a lake and a bit of dignity. Not bad considering various other events have robbed Megatron of Sixshot and the Battlechargers (also not impressed by Runamuck dying a frame after Runabout... a bit Underbase Saga, and as with Jazz I can't believe there are grand plans in place for Astrotrain or Thundercracker than made them less dispensible... actually, it might have been a nice touch for Astrotrain to be one of the casualties), put Starscream back into the mix and annihilated the Reapers...

It's odd... the storyline isn't predictable per se, and it's not going over much old ground. And yet it utterly, utterly unable to surprise me,

Halfshell
2008-03-22, 07:12 PM
The assumption seems to be he orbital bounced down from Ark 32. And no, don't ask me why they didn't just do that in the first place.

Because there was no need to.

When they located Ironhide, they were still covert and had a few hours in which to safely retrieve him. Ergo, it's a by the book drive.

A few hours later, they've been splashed all over TV and need to get out quick.

The whole arc built beautifully up to about #4/#5, and then it just sort of flopped a little...

I think the main problem was Sixshot. The whole arc was built around him coming to Earth and how big a threat he is... then he's just Deus Ex Machina'd out of the equation, and we've still got an issue and a half to get through. Factor in the Autobots barely being in #6, and we've suddenly got an entirely different story for the last issue and a bit.

Agree about the Spotlights being more interesting. The arcs seem to be four/five stories mushed into one, then stretched out over six issues. Whereas the standalone format forces Furmo to actually sit down and work out what the story he wants to tell is, and actually boil it down to what conveys it.

I'm failing to see the point in the Reapers - surely there were less tedious ways to showcase Galvatron's power and murky agenda (I felt the spotlight did a great job).

I personally quite like the notion of a band of superkillingmachines who've decided to band together and bring peace to the universe through sterilising hotspots. Shame the execution of the idea fell flat and the necessary menace just wasn't there.

Surely it would have made sense to divide up and attack all sides of the planet at once, rather than just sitting outside the Decepticon base.

I also love the general feel of the IDWverse, especially in that Earth is just one of many battlegrounds (rather than it just being Oregon and occasionally bits of Cybertron).

Mmm. It's nice to see that care's been taken to actually map out the big picture of the conflict before the series was really started. Earth's just one relatively minor venue, rather than it all being focussed there and then a sudden switch to "meanwhile, on the other side of the galaxy, all these new toys have been at it a while".

The missing Ark-1 being thrown into the mix early also prevents things like the "okay, the idea of Jhiaxus disappearing into space years ago makes sense, but how did nobody actually notice before he came back?" from G2.

Not that I mind the G2 Empire story... it's just that, this time round, it feels planned rather than suddenly tacked on at the end. Which is of course what it was.

Heinrad
2008-04-05, 06:58 AM
Just throwing in my two cents here after skimming the thread.

I, personally, thought is was fun. Although part of me's glad I missed 1 and 4(stupid distributor, guess I'll wait for the TPB), although it would have been nice for them to have actually retrieved Ironhide.

Ironhide: -stuck in a car crusher, groaning- "Ow. What the.... What happened? Last thing I remember is a really big explosion." -hears voices and sounds of battle- "All right. 'Bout time somebody came to get me...." -hears more voices, followed by the sound of Hot Rod driving away- "Anybody? I need a little help here.... Oh, frag-" -THOOMMM!!!!!, Pat Lee's Porsche crushed into his roof, floor beneath him denting as his tires explode and his undercarriage crunches into it, trithyllium-steel skin the only thing keeping him from being flattened, starting to wonder if maybe, MAYBE the sound of exploding hydraulics from the car crusher will attract somebody, ANYBODY's attention- "If I ever figure out who's out there......."

And as for the Starscream/Sixshot fight, I was wondering if Sixshot knew Screamer had the code. Having somebody show up who could take him out of the equasion would be preferable to having to make the decision.

zigzagger
2008-05-13, 04:37 AM
For those who may be interested, the Transformers: Devastation TPB is due ship the 14th this month. Relive the all explosions...and the absence of Ironhide's rescue/retrieval one more time ;).

diamondcomics.com shipping schedule (http://www.previewsworld.com/public/default.asp?t=1&m=1&c=6&s=430&ai=70074)

Blackjack
2008-05-30, 12:07 AM
Bought the TPB yesterday, read it.

Just noticed! G1 Hot Rod's vehicle mode makes a cameo appearance in the junkyard, being block coloured in issue 5, page 10,second panel. Look behind Hot Rod and you should see it stacked up.

One question remains... Why crush such a nice car?

Methinks Wheeljack got out by himself, and Harhead and him rescued Ironhide. Let's hope this will be revealed in, um, Revelations.

Chip1123
2008-06-04, 01:33 PM
so i bought the paperback yesterday (i don't get the issues, just wait for the trades to come out)- i liked it, but was disapointed in a few spots- specifically the ironhide ordeal- seems like they were supposed to rescue him. hardhead shows up, hot rod drives off, and wheeljack never is heard from again- so are we to read into that that perhaps wheeljack and hardhead rescue him?

Blackjack
2008-06-05, 08:06 AM
Oh yeah. They wasted a whole page for Scorpy's head, while it could be reduced to a panel in the previous page, and that page can mount four panels: One to show Verity and Jimmy died despite Ratchet's efforts (who wants them to live), and three to show Hardhead beaming down and finding Wheeljack rescuing Ironhide.

What happens to Ratbat is also ain't explained

Halfshell
2008-06-05, 08:16 AM
Nah, I love the fact that Scorpy gets a full-page. The amount of time they teased it warranted a big reveal. And of course it's made hilarious by the fact that we already worked it out during Escalation.

There's other things they could have skipped though. Running out of time to resolve all threads is one thing, but as I think I said previously, it's something you work out in the planning stage.

Ratbat probably went into hiding after Megatron Origin concluded. I know I would have.

inflatable dalek
2008-06-05, 03:05 PM
There's other things they could have skipped though.

Yup, the most obvious being the Grimlock/Skywatch stuff (well, perhaps leave the last cliffhanger) which is made redundent by recaping at the start of March's second Spotlight.

Halfshell
2008-06-25, 08:28 AM
Nick Roche saves the day:
http://forum.idwpublishing.com/viewtopic.php?t=4140

zigzagger
2008-06-25, 01:46 PM
Yay!......I think.
So, those two simple lines aren't going to make it into Revelation then?

inflatable dalek
2008-06-25, 03:08 PM
*Plans to rip out one of the pointless Grimlock pages from Devastation and put this in*.

But is it canon?

Denyer
2008-12-01, 08:21 PM
Found this whilst wandering around TFW...

http://ej-su.deviantart.com/art/Ratbat-Concept-104748256

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/1893/ebaada57ecaed40184c493dsv7.jpg (https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1174)

Cool stuff. Also rather saddening.

Cliffjumper
2008-12-01, 08:24 PM
I dunno, looks like Strong Guy to me, I'm afraid.

Halfshell
2008-12-02, 01:09 PM
Cool stuff. Also rather saddening.

Mmm. Sad to see that level of thought go into what's essentially a one-panel cameo, only for the character to be reverted to an oversized cassette for his next one-panel cameo...

Neuronutter
2008-12-02, 02:15 PM
Mmm. Sad to see that level of thought go into what's essentially a one-panel cameo, only for the character to be reverted to an oversized cassette for his next one-panel cameo...

That was my exact thought in AHM #5. Nice to see Ratbat again, shame he's a cassette. But then that's AHM all over.

It's also a shame this fantastic sketch didn't make it into the Dev trade. Would've made a nice little extra.