PDA

View Full Version : Transformers Spotlight: Cyclonus (Revelation Part 1)

zigzagger
2008-06-13, 04:15 AM
Waited long enough yet? The first part of Furmanís Revelations arc begins here all pointy headed and purple clad with Spotlight: Cyclonus. This is your all purpose Spotlight: Cyclonus Ė Revelations Part 1 reaction and discussion thread. Now run along, children. Youíll be graded on participation.

http://fc07.deviantart.com/fs25/f/2008/170/c/0/Cyclonus_Web_Banner_by_hiredhand.gif
(Graphic by Ultra Computron.)

Due to ship along with Spotlight:Wheelie June 18th according to grahamcrackers.com release schedule
http://grahamcrackers.com/newcomics.htm

Commander Shockwav
2008-06-18, 08:29 PM
Fantastic!

I really can't say enough about how things were done right here.

It felt like more happened in this single issue than the entire Infiltration and Escalation series combined. (Amazing what you can achieve when you're forced to condense things sometimes.)

Simon delivers the goods on every level here, producing a comic that is cinematic in scope and feel. Pacing, dialogue, casting. It's everything a TF fan wants in a TF comic. Action? Got it. Suspense? Got it. Kitchen sink? I'm sure it's in there somewhere.

Furman is weaving the threads together now into a single strand, and you get the feeling that, whereas before we were floating down the different tributaries of the Amazon, we've sailed into the main river itself. And people, we are about to go on the ride of a lifetime!

All the bigwigs are featured here, some we haven't seen until now. For the Autobots, we've got Prime, Magnus, Jetfire, Fortress Maximus, and Prowl. For the Cons, Nova Prime, Galavatron, Cyclonus(obviously), Thunderwing, Jhiaxus, and....Straxus! With old G1 character and G2 characters thrown into the mix, what's not to love, right?

Of all the subplots thus far, I have been most partial to the Dead Universe one, simply because I felt it held the most promise in giving us something we haven't seen before. After this issue, I'm anticipating it even more.

The only niggle I have with the issue is how horrendous Cyclonus looks. Not digging his appearance, particulary when he has looked so badass in previous comic incarnations.

But that's a small niggle, one that becomes negligible next to the incredible drama Furman is now unfolding before us.

Easily, the best of the -ion series, the first "A+" I've given since the Shockwave and Kup spotlights.

If Simon maintains this level of suspense and wraps it up in a strong fashion, then we might have the modern "Target 2006" on our hands here.

zigzagger
2008-06-19, 01:28 AM
Huh? That banner is new. I assume Denyer placed that graphic up there, yes? Neat-o.

Anyhooo, on to the discussion. Two Spotlights this week. What a treat, though this one wasn't quite as self-contained as Wheelie's was. Then again, considering all that is occurring here, that would've been a difficult feat for this book. Really, because it fits right at home with the other -Tion titles, one almost forgets that they are in fact reading a TF: Spotlight.

While a lot certainly happens here, pacing and page number constraints really doesn't hinder the overall reading experience (much). Multiple plot strands are simultaneously occurring, and yet, satisfyingly, nothing really feels too left out. Makes one wonder what happened in Devastation #6.

Regardless of the multiplicity of plots, Cyclonus is allowed a few moments of exposition, and we're offered some insight as to who he is. A patriot of sorts, dealing with his own personal demons. An interesting contrast to the rest of the Dead Universe's somber cast - Nova Prime, Jhiaxus, Furman's new bot what-his-face, Galvatron and, surprise, Straxus. I just wished there would have been more of him, a similar issue I had with Spotlight: Galvatron.

A good stage setter this one, but more or less an action based issue with previous plot strands FINALLY finding cohesion after being teased for so long. I have no real qualms with this one, though a more self contained tale would have been nice.

Two Spotlights leaves me feeling generous.
4 out of 5 (though I could change my mind, cuz I am fickle that way)

wolfbolt86
2008-06-19, 02:24 AM
Was good, and hope the rest as like this.
I never read the 3 tpb of the orginal comic, and was wondering which of the end cons was Straxus. Also does anyone know if Road Rocket is dead?

zigzagger
2008-06-19, 02:31 AM
was wondering which of the end cons was Straxus.
He's the one on the far left in the group shot.
Some reading if you are interested.
http://s90690880.onlinehome.us/jhiaxus/uscomics/straxus.htm

Not sure about Road Rocket. He looked functional to me on page 17.

wolfbolt86
2008-06-19, 02:41 AM
Pg 17 is the last one that shows Road Rocket. the last part of the page shows him being blasted, but its imposible to tell if the wounds are fatle or just minor.
Thanks for the link zigzagger

Unicron
2008-06-19, 05:46 AM
He's the one on the far left in the group shot.

Really? For some reason (no idea why) I thought it was Scourge.
Then who the hell is the guy on the far right? I don't even have an incorrect ID for him

zigzagger
2008-06-19, 06:17 AM
Really? For some reason (no idea why) I thought it was Scourge.
I was going by the head shape and the signature pick-axe.
Then who the hell is the guy on the far right? I don't even have an incorrect ID for him
That, I believe, is Furman's latest creation. I think his name is Grindcore, or something like that.

Halfshell
2008-06-19, 12:01 PM
REVELATED:
- Galvatron can survive outside the Dead Universe longer than the others, but nobody knows why
- Cyclonus has trouble remembering his boss' name
- Thunderwing is teh zombie guard dog
- Nightbeat rarely checks his messages
- The final two member of the Dead Universe cast ARE... two characters that I have NO idea on. Oh, what? One of them's meant to be Straxus? Okay then... that was worth every second of hype and anticipation...

I feel rocked and rolled all over the place after this stunning sequence of non-events.

Yes, I get it, it's the others finding out. But still. ;)

Other than that, good stuff. Very pretty, and did its job sehr gut. And no glaring errors.

But, and excuse me if I'm being dense, where exactly is the sub-number that this issue is meant to carry?

Neuronutter
2008-06-19, 06:19 PM
This was a superb issue. It felt like a wonderful mix of a Spotlight, with enough time spent exploring Cyclonus, and the best of the "-ations." Truly the best of both worlds. Having Revelations condensed into four issues may actually help Furman improve the pacing issues associated with previous arcs. Everything came off well in this issue - all the multitude of characters making appearances, all the threads from Spotlights and main arcs all combined wonderfully to make a superb issue.

As for the character in focus, it's a slightly different take on the classic character. While G1 Cyclonus was loyal to Galvatron, this one is loyal to Cybertron so the question of why he's serving Nova, I mean Nemesis Prime, is still to be answered. I get the feeling Cyclonus'll be explored a little more in the upcoming Spotlights, along with the main character, especially if they're all a combination of Spotlight and "ation."

As for the art, well Su is on form as usual. However, I agree with Shockwav that while the art was mostly superb, and I especially like Su's Magnus and Nightbeat, I don't much like his Cyclonus. He feels too squat compared to the classic sleak look of the character. I understand that he's gone for a different look, and that's one of the great things about having different artists is the different takes on the characters, but I just don't like Su's Cyclonus that much. I'm also not keen on his Sideswipe - his head looks a bit odd.

If Revelations carries on like this we may be looking at the best IDW arc to date, and that's really saying something. And I picked up the Nick Roche cover. Though I love EJ's covers, Nick's done something truly special and different for IDW, and I love it. So one question I do have is are we getting Expansion after this? I don't remember if this has been answered yet. And more Spotlights that aren't an "ation" in disguise? Anyone know?

Halfshell
2008-06-19, 07:21 PM
so the question of why he's serving Nova, I mean Nemesis Prime, is still to be answered.

Just a case of part of the crew, innit? He was on The Ark, off to mould the universe in the shape of his beloved homeland. Though now of course doubts the cause, as the element they're seeking to eliminate is him.

So one question I do have is are we getting Expansion after this? I don't remember if this has been answered yet. And more Spotlights that aren't an "ation" in disguise? Anyone know?

No Expansion, as far as we know. Next arc for Furman is Maximum Dinobots. Would surmise that Revs is all about preventing the Expansion. My guess is that it was originally conceived as two arcs, one where we find out about the DU crew, another where we get the attempt to foil their nefarious schemes, but the schedule got sped up a bit to allow for AHM. It's all very well having a plan, but intent evolves as you go on, and when sales are tailing off... well, changes must be made.

Which is fine by me. The way this issue's gone, I'm more than happy with the format. Can any of us really imagine if this arc was dragged out over 12 issues of the non-Spotlight variety? Ugh. Being spoonfed eight half-scenes a month for about a year? No thanks.

electro girl
2008-06-19, 07:29 PM
looks fun

Neuronutter
2008-06-19, 07:55 PM
No Expansion, as far as we know. Next arc for Furman is Maximum Dinobots.

We still don't know what the remaining issues are do we? The gap between AHM and Revelations is 8 (?) issues IIRC, which leaves 5 for Dino and 3 remaining. Wonder what they'll be?

Neuronutter
2008-06-20, 09:21 AM
Really, because it fits right at home with the other -Tion titles, one almost forgets that they are in fact reading a TF: Spotlight.

I didn't really think this was a Spotlight as such. More Revelations, told with Cyclonus thrown into the mix, but then I suppose that's the way the Spotlights had been going anyway, what with Galvatron and then Arcee having very broad stories.

Just a case of part of the crew, innit?

What I meant was that Cyclonus is serving Nemesis Prime despite his hesitations. He doesn't even seem sure why he's serving NP, 'cause he's what NP is trying to destroy. It may be like Galvatron, in that he's serving NP till the time is right to stop, for whatever reason.

Halfshell
2008-06-20, 09:36 AM
Well he's only just come to terms with the fact that he's the rogue element (that moment of personal revelation being his character arc for the issue), so we don't know quite what he's going to do know that he's come to the realisation.

zigzagger
2008-06-20, 09:42 AM
I didn't really think this was a Spotlight as such. More Revelations, told with Cyclonus thrown into the mix, but then I suppose that's the way the Spotlights had been going anyway, what with Galvatron and then Arcee having very broad stories.

Yeah, was kind of what I was driving at. More of an observation than a criticism. It's not as if this is foreign concept to stories being told in the minis, really. This sort character driven story telling was also apparent in the first couple of issues of Infiltration, with most of the attention placed on Ratchet (who frequently told his story through internal monologue). Really, most of Infiltration was one long Spotlight, except in the case of Revelation we get four characters rather than one.

Red Dave Prime
2008-06-20, 07:00 PM
This issue has a gotten a lot of (deserved praise) but I'd like to throw in a few moments that made me smile but havent been mentioned.

1) Sideswipes continuing putting down of every one of hounds actions is brilliantly done and has made sideswipes spotlight the one I really want to read. The "c'mon! Hound!" bit was great.

2) I love Maximus drawn by Stu. He looks great, like a bulked up version of Armada Megatron.

3) Magnus still uses his "My way or the hard way" speech. He also comes across well in the batle with cyclonus.

4) Thunderwing coming out of the cave. Yeah, i was obvious once cyclonus brought up the idea of a gaurdian but still, the panel where he emerges is excellent.

And for what its worth, I love cyclonus as a slightly clunky, bulky transformer. It may not suit the way he was in other versions but its excellent and continues the form of showing how different the DU robots are.

Brimstone
2008-06-22, 05:58 AM
And for what its worth, I love cyclonus as a slightly clunky, bulky transformer. It may not suit the way he was in other versions but its excellent and continues the form of showing how different the DU robots are.My assumption is that they're different because they are old...they kind of remind me of the design of Kup. Except for Nemesis/Nova Prime. He's the only one that looks semi-modern in design, I think.

So, are all of these DU guys supposedly once upon a time Autobots? Or just a few of them were with Nova Prime on Ark 4 and the rest he found in the DU?

Halfshell
2008-06-22, 10:35 AM
My assumption is that they're different because they are old...

^^ this for the win.

So, are all of these DU guys supposedly once upon a time Autobots? Or just a few of them were with Nova Prime on Ark 4 and the rest he found in the DU?

They're the crew of the first Ark, from my understanding. Not Autobots - they left Cybertron long before the notion of factions (cf Spotlight Galvatron).

Denyer
2008-06-22, 01:16 PM
Pulls things together very adroitly. A large cast, but that's a benefit because Cyclonus isn't, in and of himself, all that interesting as a character... originally created as a stiff and personality-less servant by Unicron, given mileage by his rapport with Scourge in UK material, the notion of making him a racial supremacist and G2-Empire-esque type is an interesting twist but nothing we haven't seen before in some form.

So it's great to get the ongoing plot advanced at the same time, with sharp imagery to accompany events. (If we go back to EJ on an Earth arc, can we keep K on colours please?) We've got a reason, albeit vague as Cyc doesn't know either, for why the seemingly indestructible dead universe lot haven't taken over long ago. Sideswipe gets some panel time that builds him up as more characterful than some "the cause is everything" Autobots. And I particularly liked the Garrus-9 scene with Maximus/Jetfire and the phrase "the Monstructor six".

4/5

Halfshell
2008-06-22, 05:24 PM
Mmm. Nice to have something to actually call them now. "The Pretender Monsters" was getting a bit repetitive and cumbersome.

Though the more I think about it (and having seen the preview pages for Sideswipe), the more I worry that the Dead Universe team are just a retread of the Reapers. Like, immediately after as well.

Red Dave Prime
2008-06-22, 07:21 PM
I'm guessing that the four parter will have the autobots battle with the DU bots and stop them achieving their plan of being able to function in the universe, altough not to the point that the DU is defeated (a recurring enemy there). Possibly Galvatron will betray nemisis at the end to take over his own faction - all the other DU characters are decepticons in other versions.

Blackjack
2008-06-25, 03:22 PM
The Decepticons of the G1/G2 universe are significantly less than the Autobots. With Simon dividing up the Decepticons between Megs, Banzaitron and DU, you'd think that the Autobots will have an upper hand, but no...

Denyer
2008-06-25, 03:26 PM
The dead universe lot aren't Decepticons. They predate the faction war, and there only seems to be a few of them (we don't know whether the Micromasters are creations or others who were trapped over there.)

Banzaitron is just a cog in the machine. Decepticons don't seem to be particularly centralised in their organisation in this continuity, but they all appear to be nominally under Megatron's command. And when your modus operandi consists of nudging alien societies towards war, there's not a lot the Autobots can do openly to hamper them. Energy stocks are low, and whereas the good guys don't steal it the bad guys have no such reservations.

Red Dave Prime
2008-06-26, 12:11 AM
I was pretty much going to respond to blackjack but denyer pretty much said all I was thinking. But then his post got me thinking...

The decepticon strategy in All Hail Megatron is going to be a bit of a departure isnt it? Early on it looked like the decepticons would infiltrate a planet and turn its armies against each other and when all was decimated, pick the spoils. If they are going full out attack on earth... Well someones changed tactics for sure.

Got me thinking that realistically, the decpticons will need a huge force to take on Earth (we aint just talking american army here). I can see the IDW becoming more, shall we say, cartoony now to accomadate this kind of thing. Its a pity IMO because I loved the idea that the decepticon force was generally small but they were able to infiltrate and conquer not through strength but cunning. Ah well...

Blackjack
2008-06-26, 05:29 AM
Now I understand...

Starfield
2008-06-26, 03:38 PM
Got me thinking that realistically, the decpticons will need a huge force to take on Earth (we aint just talking american army here). I can see the IDW becoming more, shall we say, cartoony now to accomadate this kind of thing. Its a pity IMO because I loved the idea that the decepticon force was generally small but they were able to infiltrate and conquer not through strength but cunning. Ah well...Yea, there's a reason they worked through infiltration. If they pulled all the other infiltration units out of their current assignments to Earth, they might be able to pull it off, but then they would be putting all their eggs in one basket, and why Earth? Ultra Energon might be worth it, but in interviews, the writer doesn't seem to be using that.

Denyer
2008-06-26, 04:11 PM
Ultra Energon might be worth it, but in interviews, the writer doesn't seem to be using that.
This does concern me somewhat. It not being played for the major plot point it is would be something that'd make me seriously reconsider following the title.

However, press releases are generally aimed at new readers, so the sky ain't falling yet.

inflatable dalek
2008-06-28, 08:49 AM
Not Autobots - they left Cybertron long before the notion of factions (cf Spotlight Galvatron).

Which means they must have left before Megatron Origin despite it featuring Straxus, so another nail in the coffin of the canonicity of that title (OK, twas just a one panel cameo that probably wasn't even noticed by Furman, but he does seem to be trying his best to bury that book. Good for him).

Now this was much more like it, after what seems like a eternity of mediocrity on the main book (even the last few pre Wheelie Spotlights have only been average) we get Furman back to his best. I especially liked the bit of buisness about the DU cast not being able to leave the DU for long, not only does it give our hero's one advantage over the baddies it neatly explains why they'd bother using Thunderwing as a guard dog rather than one of their own. I guess the Nega core and expansion are as much about them wanting to come home (and Cyclonus' monologue over Cybertron suggests they're not to happy about how things are being run in their absence) as taking over the Universe.

Only two things I didn't like: Jetfire and Max's complicity in Arcee torturing and beheading a prisoner being played for laughs. I like the AUtobots have a more grey side but the comedy double take (no doubt complete with wacky drum noise) was a bit to OTT, like crusty old Uncle Prowl had asked the kids where his bottle of meths had gone to.

Also, the use of Straxus should have been a real arm thumping the air moment for us old school fans, instead he gets shoved to one side with Johny New Boy being more prominant (though I wouldn't be surprised if Furman completes the trinity of best remembered Marvel characters and has the new chap called Xaaron). The page could really have done with a old school style "Get everyones name into the speech bubble" moment.

Halfshell
2008-06-28, 12:14 PM
Only two things I didn't like: Jetfire and Max's complicity in Arcee torturing and beheading a prisoner being played for laughs.

Odd. I didn't read it as being played for laughs at all. Just took it at face value of the two acknowledging to each other that they're to blame.

Fun fact - the Decepticon we see strung up a bit later is the one on the cover of Spotlight Arcee. [/nicked from Furmblog].

(though I wouldn't be surprised if Furman completes the trinity of best remembered Marvel characters and has the new chap called Xaaron).

I would. Especially as he's already told us the guy's called Grindcore. And that he won't really do much. Yayyyyy.

As for the positioning, obviously part of it's due to Jhiaxus being a hunchback nowadays. But I'd think Grindcore got more space so that we could see exactly who he is and pin together that he's new. Whereas if he'd been tucked at the back, we'd be spending a month arguing about who he's meant to be, because we can't see clearly. Or something.

Whevar.

inflatable dalek
2008-06-28, 02:07 PM
Grindcore? Really? Grindcore? Was he at the back of the name queue?

As for the positioning, obviously part of it's due to Jhiaxus being a hunchback nowadays. But I'd think Grindcore got more space so that we could see exactly who he is and pin together that he's new. Whereas if he'd been tucked at the back, we'd be spending a month arguing about who he's meant to be, because we can't see clearly. Or something.

Which is fine for us, but considering Jhiaxus has been made over anyone who hasn't seen this thread/read the blog will no doubt still be feverishly speculating as to who it's meant to be. Though if he's not doing anything, isn't a character anyones going to get excited about why not just have three rather than four DU characters? A attempt to make it look less like the group is there solely for fanboy pleasing duties?

EDIT: Oh, and was that a panel from Spotlight Nightbeat representing the message he recorded in that story?

Potatobot
2008-06-30, 05:28 AM
probably
before he got his extra headgear anyway

anyone think that his headgear is housing a mind control unit?

zigzagger
2008-06-30, 05:47 AM
anyone think that his headgear is housing a mind control unit?

That's the impression I got. The, at the time, "mystery" bot's "when we are ready, we will call and you will know what to do" comment does seem to suggest that anyway. We'll find out soon enough won't we (a few weeks, more or less)!

inflatable dalek
2008-06-30, 05:54 AM
Didn't he have the head piece at the start of the comic though? He lost it when he went down to the planet and reacquired it by the end of the issue IIRC.

Drivaaar
2008-06-30, 07:26 PM
Oh, and was that a panel from Spotlight Nightbeat representing the message he recorded in that story?

It's not a panel from that issue as far as I'm aware - EJ drew it himself, but it does of course directly reference that Spotlight. I also followed Nightbeat's colour scheme from his first Spotlight appearance for the monitor image - I just assume that his facial colour changed once he reformatted for Earth.

inflatable dalek
2008-06-30, 08:06 PM
It's not a panel from that issue as far as I'm aware - EJ drew it himself, but it does of course directly reference that Spotlight. I also followed Nightbeat's colour scheme from his first Spotlight appearance for the monitor image - I just assume that his facial colour changed once he reformatted for Earth.

That's actually a hugely impressive bit of attention to detail in matching art and colouring styles from the two of you (especially as I'd guess with modern computer thingies it wouldn't have been overly hard to just shrink a panel from nightbeat into the page). God is indeed in the details.

StoneCold Skywarp
2008-07-05, 10:50 PM
Grindcore? Really? Grindcore? Was he at the back of the name queue?

With "Thrash" and "New Wave" just in front of him...

Seriously thought, I'm really starting to enjoy the IDWverse now which is saying a lot coming from me considering I have struggled to get into the comic-verses previously. Whilst there may be a whole lot of m'eh in this issue it's actually tied three-four of the other spotlights together really well.

Anyone know if there's an attempt anywhere to actually slot everything together into a viable time-line of events?

Patapsco
2008-07-06, 12:03 AM
With "Thrash" and "New Wave" just in front of him...

Seriously thought, I'm really starting to enjoy the IDWverse now which is saying a lot coming from me considering I have struggled to get into the comic-verses previously. Whilst there may be a whole lot of m'eh in this issue it's actually tied three-four of the other spotlights together really well.

Anyone know if there's an attempt anywhere to actually slot everything together into a viable time-line of events?

the best I can find is this (CONTAINS SPOILERS)

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/IDW_timeline

StoneCold Skywarp
2008-07-06, 10:40 AM
Awesome.

Anything on a preferred reading order would've been a more accurate question on what I was after :)

Denyer
2008-07-06, 10:58 AM
:poke:

http://tfarchive.com/comics/idw/

Publication order. Top left.

StoneCold Skywarp
2008-07-06, 03:34 PM
:poke:

http://tfarchive.com/comics/idw/

Publication order. Top left.

Of this I am aware as it's the order I've got them in at the moment, what I'm essentially wanting to do is attempt to read them in as good a chronological order as possible - ignoring Megatron:Origin cos it was pap.

Jeez. You really think I'd not know there was a publication order on a site I used to call my own.

:smack: Bad Denyer, back in your cage.

Denyer
2008-07-06, 03:44 PM
Publication order is preferred reading order...

You can fan the spotlights out a bit, but not too far with entries such as Galvatron and Prime in there. Soundwave ends up being quite recap-heavy wherever it's put. And people want to have read everything before getting to Revelation.

Reading order's probably going to go a bit arse-over-tit when it comes to AHM/MaxDinos.

Neuronutter
2008-07-10, 07:15 PM
Iíve just reread Spotlight Cyclonus and thought Iíd offer some further thoughts on this book. I left it a week or two between reads as I wanted to see if my opinion would change over time but Iím happy to say Iíve come away from a second read of this book even more happy than I was the first. This is a truly wonderful book. The art is stunning and immaculate, the colouring really helps to lift the book and Kris Carter has done a stellar job and the story is superb too! All in all a great book.

Right, firstly art. One part of the book that I really thought illustrated how high the quality is, is page 11 where Nightbeat is watching a recording of himself taken during his Spotlight issue. There is a panel showing nightbeat looking at a monitor displaying an image from the Spotlight and the difference between the two is astounding. The art in that book wasnít great and that has been discussed previously on these forums and this page really serves to highlight how excellent Suís art is. Suís rendering of Nightbeat puts the art in the spotlight to shame and the colouring provides a lovely deep tone to the image. Suís art in this issue is really top notch, and the colouring is excellent throughout!

Another thing to note is that the editorial shift seems to have helped restore the books to the days of flawless books seen under Ryallís reign. There isnít a single fault I noticed reading through this book, and I havenít seen a single complaint on any forum yet either. Itís wonderful to see these books getting the service they need to produce a quality product.

As for the story, well Furman is on fine form and this issue may become known as one of the finest of the entire IDW run. Furman seamlessly meshes a Spotlight based story with the best of the ongoings. If Revelations continues in this vein it may be the best miniseries that IDW have produced. Now, I canít wait to see the next issue, due next week I believe, to see if Furman is able to continue this run. I also canít wait to get the next Su issue as the preview art looks gorgeous, and worthy of placing the entire issue in the next IDW TF art book. More please!

mechanix81
2008-07-11, 03:15 PM
God, this was marvellous, if for only one reason - if you look at the first 4 or five issues of infiltration - very slow, all about the build and the pay off, focussed on one or two storylines. This, on the other hand is classic Furman. All over the place, with several big ideas going on at once, and a cast of thousands. Furman's best work since War Within vol1?