PDA

View Full Version : Transformers Spotlight: Doubledealer (Revelation Part 3)

zigzagger
2008-08-15, 03:22 PM
Double the pleasure, double the fun...with Spotlight: Doubledealer! Makes teeth brighter and smiles wider. This is your all purpose Spotlight: Doubledealer reaction and discussion thread.

Due to arrive the 20th of August along side All Hail Megatron #2 according to grahamcrackers.com shipping schedule.
http://www.grahamcrackers.com/newcomics.htm

Blackjack
2008-08-19, 09:23 AM
This is me hoping this issue will have more action.

If only Infiltration and Escalation had this kind of pace... Not too slow, and not too fast. They don't squeeze too much new plots and dead ends in here. (ever read War and Peace?)

:up: Doubledealer's hawk mode would be excellent to see.

Drivaaar
2008-08-19, 05:39 PM
This is me hoping this issue will have more action.

If only Infiltration and Escalation had this kind of pace... Not too slow, and not too fast. They don't squeeze too much new plots and dead ends in here. (ever read War and Peace?)

:up: Doubledealer's hawk mode would be excellent to see.

I wouldn't get your hopes up on seeing his hawk mode I'm afraid...

zigzagger
2008-08-21, 12:56 AM
As Revelation continues at its neck breaking speed, it becomes more and more evident that this was meant to part of something larger, or more drawn out. At least one additional issue for Revelation would have given this story some much needed breathing space. Many plot strands from the previous 2 or so years, though finally finding some much needed cohesion, are simultaneously making a mad dash to the finish line. So frenzied that Doubledealer himself is less the focal point than were Cyclonus or Hardhead in the previous issues. Poor Furmlock - it seems that you will always be destined to wrap-up your stories this way. We don't blame you.......entirely ;) Unfortunately, because of this, this is perhaps the weaker (in contrast) of the Revelation Spotlights.

Of course, it isn't a failure by any means. It maintains the pacing and excitement established from the last two issues, and regardless if he has been sidelined here, the title character does receive some exposition, with Dealer telling his tale through the usual inner monologue. Though, in this case, it almost seems as if it was tacked on at the last minute in order to bear the Spotlight handle. Doubledealers story, to me anyway, felt incidental in conjunction to something far bigger and important. Though the Dead Furmanverse story is meant to be the overarching threat, Spotlights Hardhead and Cyclonus placed a bit more value upon the title character's role in the grander scheme of things. It just wasn't quite the case here. Doubledealers' story just didn't seem all that important. Though, he certainly got what was coming to him in the end, and at least the Magnificence plot-strand actually receives the opportunity to wrap itself up rather than being lost in the shuffle or outright ignored.

Upon first reading, a 3.5 out of 5. Though, as always, I'll probably change my mind upon subsequent readings, but it still wasn't bad. Honest.

Commander Shockwav
2008-08-21, 01:03 AM
Poor, poor Simon.

Here is when you know the guy was pulling his hair out (if he had any) after having to suffer wrapping up a two year arc in four issues.

Speeding up the pace worked great the last two issues.

Here, we just get a jumbled manic mess, a mad dash to tie up loose threads any way we can, ala Transformers Marvel #80.

But you know what? It would still have been rather good had the art not been some of the worst I've seen since Megatron:Origins. Khanna only adds to the 'jumbleness', if that's even a word.

This story is also full of plot devices. The Magnificence is a glorified Bat-computer (you know, the one from the 70's Batman show that spit out the answer to every conceivable question). Who knows what the hell The Darkness is? Oh, and throw the Matrix in their too! Here comes Bludgeon, as if there weren't enough bots running around as it is.

Jumble, jumble, jumble.

Ah well, it was expected, wasn't it?

Take nothing away from Simon, the guy is performing brain surgery with a toothpick here. And actually pulling it off, for the most part.

Again, had Nick or Guido or Don pencilled this, I guarantee that, despite the manic pitch of this issue, it would have been a pretty good comic. It's just that the characters, like Nemesis Prime, looked so very stumpy and silly drawn as they were.

I think the thing that bothers me most about what's going on is the fact that all of the major bigwigs of Transformers lore are crammed into this tale as puppets and pawns with no chance for real characterization.

I mean, if you want to use Straxus or Sixshot or Thunderwing, why just have them all in there for us to just look at and say "Oh look, there's such and such".

I mean, they say hardly a word, carrying out menial tasks like digging Energon holes and guarding caves.

Again, I think this is a result of Simon being forced to wrap this up. I bet my bottom dollar if he knew it would end like this, he would have waited to use these guys in a way more befitting their status.

To be honest, I wish Straxus, Sixshot, Jhiaxus,etc. etc had been replaced by mindless generic drones of Nemesis Prime, thusly leaving these bigwigs for greater future tales down the road, a chance for them to get the attention these TF legends deserve.

Give it a "C+". Feeling the pinch here as we wind down at a manic pace.

Despite that, kudos to Simon again, for working magic here without so much as a wand or rabbit.

Rossum
2008-08-21, 03:39 PM
I really wish it had been Spotlight: Somebody Else, because the DoubleDealer-Hot Rod story didn't need nearly as much space as it got. I could see it if there were more issues to spare maybe, but with so many other big things are going down, it seems a waste. Nemesis Prime starting his high noon showdown with Optimus felt especially anti-climactic, since it was just crammed in there with everything else.

At least we're all on the same page about what the Dead Universe crew is up to, and we got to see a few more of them in action.

Starfield
2008-08-22, 01:24 PM
So the Magnificence's special power is the ability to move the plot along at ludicrous-speed? Who knew?

I didn't quite get why Doubledealer asked if they could just fly to the top of the mountain. Either he was talking about a shuttlecraft just off-panel, or he slipped up and forgot Hot Rod didn't have a Decepti-condor altmode. :D

I agree that it was horrible to see big-names play parts that should go to lackeys.

Potatobot
2008-08-22, 04:18 PM
So the Magnificence's special power is the ability to move the plot along at ludicrous-speed? Who knew?

I didn't quite get why Doubledealer asked if they could just fly to the top of the mountain. Either he was talking about a shuttlecraft just off-panel, or he slipped up and forgot Hot Rod didn't have a Decepti-condor altmode. :D

I agree that it was horrible to see big-names play parts that should go to lackeys.

i thought about that too but most likely he was talking about some sort of shuttlecraft.
maybe if they had made the mountain look a bit bigger in the first shot it would have made a bit more sense visually

i wonder if the magnificence ever comes up with the answer, "ask again later"
and if you have to shake it before asking

Starfield
2008-08-22, 06:56 PM
A couple more thoughts...

Hot Rod should be able to find Sunstreaker easy now.

What's Jazz, Ratchet, Wheeljack, Bumblebee, and the humans up to? R&R I assume. When we see Jimmy and Verity next they will probably be A-OK and married with a couple of kids.

StoneCold Skywarp
2008-08-22, 07:38 PM
Whilst I enjoyed the issue on the whole, I share zigzagger's views.

Doubledealer was always a favourite character of mine and the double agent view was always well used, then for him to turn into, basically, Swindle when he decided banzai-tron wasn't worth the hassle was quite awesome.

However I have issue with Khanna's art in this one. His characters stand out too much, thinking in particular of Optimus going to meet Nova, there's a red hue around Optimus which makes this even worse.
And when did Hot Rod start working out his neck muscles (servos, whatever) to the point where they were bulging!? I'm all for detailed art, but for detailed art to work then the machine around it must be sleek. To my eyes it looked like Hot Rod had been on a McDonalds diet but someone forgot to tell his neck.

It's a shame this is such a rush-job, but then conversely the argument could be made that the pacing throughout the series has been poor.

Shame AHM #2 was ****ing rubbish.

Starfield
2008-08-22, 08:54 PM
...there's a red hue around Optimus ...Yea. I thought that was supposed to be there. A dead universe shield or something.

AndyTurnbull
2008-08-23, 12:13 PM
Thoroughly enjoyable cosmic tosh from Furman but it needed a better artist than Dan Khanna. Someone like Nick would have been a better fit for the book. and I agree with the points about the overly chunky Hot Rod. Looking at his earlier takes by E.J. and Nick he is fairly lean and that seemed in short supply.

Some curious panel choices made for some dramatic scenes coming across as a bit leaden.

Really looking forward to the next Spotlight though.

Andy

Halfshell
2008-08-23, 02:42 PM
Have to echo what's been said already, really.

Good enjoyable plot-advancing stuff that gives plenty of answers and resolution.

The "central character"'s role perspective was easily lost in the shuffle and Khanna's artwork was... well, let's just say lacking, shall we? Could have done with an extra one/two issues to let stuff breathe a little / have time to sink in.

All that fuss for a magic eight ball? ;)

Not sure Hot Rod needed a redesign for Ki-Aleta, nor how Jhiaxus gained control of Bludgeon (though hopefully that'll get Revelated next time).

Nice to have a name put to the planet at the beginning of Arcee, and an explanation for why Galvatron needed to protect Earth (and a great tie-in back to the very first Spotlight).

A few other thoughts knocking about, but I want a re-read when my physical copy turns up before I comment on them properly.

Red Dave Prime
2008-08-23, 06:06 PM
My forbidden planet (dublin)was sold out of this within a day! First time ever. So I'm crossing fingers the owner succeeds in getting me a copy. if he cant, would anyone recommend idws online store?

Denyer
2008-08-26, 11:47 AM
Might be easier/cheaper to try http://oneshallstand.com/comics1.html

Red Dave Prime
2008-08-26, 10:13 PM
Thanks. They dont have Spotlight Kup but this will sort me with the Double Dealer issue (which is the one I really want)

Much Cheers :)

Denyer
2008-08-26, 10:39 PM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140241181705

^Kup. Slightly inflated price, but is an incentive cover.

inflatable dalek
2008-08-27, 08:27 PM
I'm expecting a lot of Bhul next issue.

The wheels haven't come off yet but the whole wagons wobbling in a very dodgy manner. We're now basically at the stage we were towards the end of Devastation, lots of things don't seem to make any sense or look like mistakes and we're reliant on the last issue clarifying everything. Which Devastation never did of course...

My main problem is the ease with which the Magnifigence can be used. Not only does this raise the question of why the Autobots who sent Hot Rod to retrieve it in the first place didn't order him to hand it over (can you imagine the more pragmatic Autobots of this continuity not suing an advantage like that?), you also have to wonder why he doesn't ask the obvious, "How do we stop the expansion and Nemesis Prime so he's over, finished?".

And when did Hot Rod start having these doubts about his friend? There's no indication of them in him inner monolouge back in his Spotlight

The time scale also seems off somehow, either the Wreckers have been fighting Thunderwing for a extremely long time or by an amazing coincidence all the planets and locations seen in this arc are right on top of each other cosmically speaking with everyone getting from one to the other in no time at all, not to mention Straxus and Genericon setting up a system for draining Earth (but yay, reason for Galvatron being bothered to stop the Reapers!) in about five minuets.

And how long can a Autobot science vessel hold of Cyclonus for?

My concerns about Optimus' sidelined role in the first two issues pretty much played out as well, the sudden attempt to throw him to the front and make him and Nemesis arch foes felt a bit forced and silly. Though for all that "There can be only one" style guff to make sense I guess he does have the Matrix after all then and that was a wrongly coloured Eviltrix we saw Nemesis with last issue?

I can't see the Pretenders, Bludgeon, half the Dead Universe cast or Sidewswipe actually contributing anything to the last issue that will make having them involved worthwhile.

Speculation corner: How many issues was this meant to be told in? At Auto Assembly when I told Furman how much I'd enjoyed the first two issues his response was "I'm pleased with how they turned out as well, I was initially worried about turning a six issue arc into four Spotlights" (I think he says something similar in that video podcast thing as well), which makes it sound as if everything seen here was originally still going to be in Revelation with Expansion perhaps following on with a different now abandoned storyline. That's only a loss of two issues, which when you consider there would have been likely inter cutting with the Earth/Machination stuff means we haven't lost a huge amount of story pages so it shouldn't feel that rushed should it?

Halfshell
2008-08-27, 08:46 PM
And when did Hot Rod start having these doubts about his friend? There's no indication of them in him inner monolouge back in his Spotlight

Well no, because he was all guilt-ridden back then. Returning to Ki-Aleta made him go over it again, realising there was a chance he'd been played. Dealer being so eager to find it probably helped matters.

Speculation corner: How many issues was this meant to be told in? At Auto Assembly when I told Furman how much I'd enjoyed the first two issues his response was "I'm pleased with how they turned out as well, I was initially worried about turning a six issue arc into four Spotlights" (I think he says something similar in that video podcast thing as well), which makes it sound as if everything seen here was originally still going to be in Revelation with Expansion perhaps following on with a different now abandoned storyline. That's only a loss of two issues, which when you consider there would have been likely inter cutting with the Earth/Machination stuff means we haven't lost a huge amount of story pages so it shouldn't feel that rushed should it?

I'm of the belief that Revelation and Expansion would also have included the events that'll transpire in Maximum Dinobots. Probably some Megatron-faction stuff too. He probably restructured it into Revelationy stuff and Dinoboty stuff, then had to restructure Revelation again into the four issues. Would be my guess.

Starfield
2008-08-28, 03:03 AM
My main problem is the ease with which the Magnifigence can be used.
The real-world explanation is that the Magnificence was supposed to be a map, as far as I know. A very comprehensive map, but a map nonetheless. I was also (previously) given the impression that it would be difficult to extract the information from it, but a magic plot advancing device was needed, so *pow*.

Sir Auros
2008-08-28, 03:41 AM
This...wasn't really a spotlight.

I liked it, but it this whole arc should've been the main miniseries instead of the AHM/Dreamwave series 4 garbage. It didn't seem as character driven as a Spotlight book should be.

inflatable dalek
2008-08-28, 06:52 AM
Well no, because he was all guilt-ridden back then. Returning to Ki-Aleta made him go over it again, realising there was a chance he'd been played. Dealer being so eager to find it probably helped matters.

I read it as Hot Rod pretty much playing him from their first meeting, all the questions and talking about those events was less him going over it inside his head and more trying to get a reaction, he just used the Magnificence to be 100% sure.

If the unlikely event I was Furman I'd have put the Dealer/ Hot Rod confrontation in Maximum Dinobots (yes, I'll go for that without even knowing how packed MD will be) and had the Autobots work out what was going on through a combination of inteligence (Ultra Magnus making the link to Bhul wouldn't be that unlikely) and perhaps one bit of convenient technobabble, say a signal unique to the Nega Core that lets them track down the others. Half the issue could have been freed up then to flesh things out a bit. I'd have gone for Nemesis Prime as the "star" of the issue and fleshed out the antagonism between him and Optimus a lot more. And try to write him in sauch a way I don't expect him to tell Optimus his powers are weak old man. I'd also have pointed out to the artist that being that literal with Rotor Force weapons probably isn't such a good idea. So nothing to specific.

I'm of the belief that Revelation and Expansion would also have included the events that'll transpire in Maximum Dinobots. Probably some Megatron-faction stuff too. He probably restructured it into Revelationy stuff and Dinoboty stuff, then had to restructure Revelation again into the four issues. Would be my guess.

Works for me.

zigzagger
2008-08-29, 09:22 AM
I'd have gone for Nemesis Prime as the "star" of the issue and fleshed out the antagonism between him and Optimus a lot more. And try to write him in such a way I don't expect him to tell Optimus his powers are weak old man.

Aye! Again, not to say that I thought this issue was a failure, but I think many of this issue's shortcomings could have been avoided if the Spotlight went to a character who is actually connected in some way with the Dead Furmanverse. So yes, a Spotlight: Nemesis Prime (though I still prefer the name Nova, but whatever) would have given us some further insight as to who he is/was, while at the same time not really deviate from ideas like The Expansion, and so forth, since he's the mind behind it all. Plus, it would've given the rest of the Dead Furmanverse cast a chance to shine, in particular Straxus, who at this point is fodder :(. Galvatron, who I intially figured would be a key player in Revelation hasn't been present at all either, and I wouldn't have minded seeing more of Jhiaxus. Conversely, I still think a Doubledealer spotlight was/is a great idea, really I do...but here really wasn't the place to tell his story, such as it was.

inflatable dalek
2008-08-29, 11:18 AM
though I still prefer the name Nova, but whatever

The "Call me Nemesis" bit was hilarious wasn't it?

Considering we've been very specifically told Galvatron is the only DUer who can survive outside it permanently I suspect he's being set up to escape to fight another day, another day that might not come now. Shame. I am wondering where he's flying to though, I'd assume one of the other Core's, but as Jhiaxus seems to have used the Space Bridge link to get to Gorlam Prime (there's no way he could have got to the planet without the Wreckers noticing otherwise, unless the Ark 1 stuff last issue was out of sequence and he's been there a while?) he should do the same for the others.

As said by Ziggy, there is lots of neat stuff here, it just doesn't make anything cohesive and the title characters story being the weakest link makes it seem worse than it is.

Halfshell
2008-08-29, 12:23 PM
I think Doubledealer was the right choice for the "focus" character, given that the central thread is "get the Magnificence, get the exposition, set it up for mad dash next month when everybody actually knows what's happening" and that Hot Rod had already been done. Much like part 2 could easily have been titled Nightbeat without too much adjustment to the events.

Whether the issue needed a spotlight thread, and whether the character in question got the focus they deserved is another argument entirely. The answer to both points is "no", in case anybody's slow on the uptake btw.

zigzagger
2008-08-29, 01:44 PM
Oops, accidentally hit the edit button rather than the quote button. Should be back normal now, I think.

The "Call me Nemesis" bit was hilarious wasn't it?

I get the metaphor, that he's meant to be the anti-Prime or something to that effect (which is odd since the ideals that Optimus upholds turned out to be a bit of a farce in SL:OP). But, for some reason I just can't help but get past the common usage of the word (EDIT: even if it isn't always correct), and even though it probably isn't the case here, it sounds like it is an admission that he is "teh evil", when characters (by IDW standards anyway) like Megatron generally don't catagorise their ideals as evil, etc, let alone themselves - even if they are. Plus, the "Nemesis" thing reminds me of the movie Snatch.

I am wondering where he's flying to though...One thought, as obvious as it sounds, is that he intends to run interference between Optimus and Bricktop Prime. We know that he has some agenda (whatever it be), and making certain Nemesis is out of the picture might play into that. Just a thought, is all.

Red Dave Prime
2008-09-07, 06:33 AM
Finally got this as my FP got in another batch (thanks for that link though, bookmarked in case of future problems) Overall I liked it. The art hits the odd rough patch (the big picture of thunderwing fighting the wreckers is particularly bad) but it works ok. The main problem I have is with some of the plot points that could have been avoided/ improved with a little thought. They are (drum roll please!):

1 - The battle against thunderwing - sure, he's powerful, but he's only ONE robot. Why isn't a smaller squad sneaking in the back/ top/ side of the cavern. If the nega-core was underground I'd kinda of understand it needing only one guardian but its in a mountain.

2. - Nemisis primes assault on the facility - This reminded me of the fallens battle to retrieve Blitzwing in the dark ages comic. Unfourtunatly there is no drama at all to this. It could have been done so much better even with the limited space. Of course the fact that a small decepticon squad busted out some cons previously takes away from the awesomeness of nemisis primes attack a bit. The fact that they didnt detect his approach and that bludgeon seems to still be fully assembled (despite being more dangerous then arcee)points to a shambles of a security set-up. Fortress maximus must run the worst penal colony ever.

3. - Double Dealers betrayal - this would have been much more interesting if we didnt know that dealer had betrayed hot rod back in that spotlight. As hot rod breaks down the failed operation, it could have kept the reader in a bit of suspense as to what exactly went down. This would also have allowed the issue to focus more on Dealers two-faced approach.

4. - The Magnificence - By far the worst plot device that I have seen in a comic and nearly breaks the series for me. There were so many ways around this that even with the shortening of the revelations arc, could have been done. As it is Hot Rod has, all this time, had a device which could reveal all the details of the machination, everything about ore-13, megatrons schemes and where sunstreaker is... just by asking it???!!? How absolutely lazy. How about they captured and interrogated Cyclonus in the first spotlight? Or traced the signal controlling Thunderwing to Jiaxus location and find the details from him? Have hardhead discover something in his spotlight and radio it back to magnus just before he croaks? Shit, simply have prime go back into the space he first encounters Nemisis prime! But asking a ball? And even knowing this, why didnt hot rod just ask the ball before he rescued dealer "what went wrong with the mission?"

So in summing up... I liked it enough. But the magnificence needs to be destroyed in the next issue. Something that powerful is just plot breaking.

inflatable dalek
2008-09-07, 08:56 AM
and that bludgeon seems to still be fully assembled (despite being more dangerous then arcee)points to a shambles of a security set-up. Fortress maximus must run the worst penal colony ever.

IIRC Bludgeon was never at the prison, he must have been grabbed the same time as Thunderwing from Cybertron. Only no one mentioneed it at the time.

3. - Double Dealers betrayal - this would have been much more interesting if we didnt know that dealer had betrayed hot rod back in that spotlight.

That takes us back to one of the problems of Hot Rod's issue though, his squad was three nobodies and Doubledealer. There's no way of making any suspense over if he did it or not work really.

Halfshell
2008-09-07, 10:32 AM
IIRC Bludgeon was never at the prison, he must have been grabbed the same time as Thunderwing from Cybertron. Only no one mentioneed it at the time.

YRW. Bludgeon's spark is seen as one of those in custody on P7 of Spotlight Arcee. Right next to Ransack's, amongst the establishing shots of our very first visit to Garrus-9.

I thought you reviewed the issue? Or, at least, read my not-yet-public appearance guide? ;)

That takes us back to one of the problems of Hot Rod's issue though, his squad was three nobodies and Doubledealer. There's no way of making any suspense over if he did it or not work really.

Yup. The suspense in this issue is over whether Hot Rod'll work it out before Dealer shoots him. And being as most of us know HR'll be in Maximum Dinobots... :o

inflatable dalek
2008-09-07, 11:07 AM
YRW. Bludgeon's spark is seen as one of those in custody on P7 of Spotlight Arcee. Right next to Ransack's, amongst the establishing shots of our very first visit to Garrus-9.

Well, they never said his body was at the prison ;)

More seriously, the body most likely was left under guard on Cybertron with thunderwing whilst the spark was put into prison as I can't think of any other opportunity the DU cast had to snatch it (possibly Banzaitron and co nicked it and the spark as well when they broke into the prison and subsequently had it stolen off them along with Monstructor, but that would have been mentioned before now as well surely?).

Halfshell
2008-09-07, 11:58 AM
Well, they never said his body was at the prison ;)

More seriously, the body most likely was left under guard on Cybertron with thunderwing whilst the spark was put into prison as I can't think of any other opportunity the DU cast had to snatch it

Well the impression was given that Arcee's body was already on-site at Garrus-9. Possibly disassembled, though possibly not.

I think we can take it as a given that Bludgeon's role will be to run interference on Jetfire's attempts to take control of Thunderwing. Ergo he'd likely be already at Garrus-9.

As far as Red Dave Prime's point about keeping him readily assembled being a shambles goes... he's sparkless. And therefore no danger. I'd imagine most bodies would just be loosely separated in storage, so they could quickly be glued back together and restored in case of emergency (cf Arcee) or political exchange (cf complete and utter hypothesis). The G-9 prisoners are generally unstable psychopaths - but once the spark's isolated and controlled, the body on its own is no danger at all. Fort Max isn't to know that there's a group of malevolent zombie Transformers who plot to remote-control one of the bodies into assisting their plan to mesh two universes together. :o

His spark likely doesn't need restoring to his body for Jhiaxus' purposes - Thunderwing is presumably dead already, whilst Sixshot's operational status is completely up for debate - we already know they're being controlled through a neural implant (likely the same ilk as Nightbeat's). If Jhiaxus has the tech to be observing the situation as closely as he is, and is indeed aware of the conversation between Jetfire and Springer, then I doubt it's outside his ability to hijack G-9's security system and defrost Bludgeon. That does raise the issue of why he doesn't distract Jetfire by just freeing everybody, but it's likely a control thing... he can keep Bludgeon on a leash. The others are an unknown variable.

A quick and subtle security override to reassemble a prisoner's body and the only real question left on it is "how and when did Team Ark actually install Bludgeon's implant?"

Unless Bludgeon's always been under Jhiaxus' control, of course. It was him who salvaged and restored Thunderwing, after all... and you've gotta wonder who the third Guardian would have been if Starscream hadn't shut Sixshot down...

I'd wager that it was initially going to be Monstructor, Thunderwing and Bludgeon guarding the Nega Cores. The Autobots captured Monstructor, but that didn't change anything as Bludgeon still would have needed extracting anyway. Then Banzaitron did half the job for them, by freeing the gestalt. Galvatron needed to stop the Reapers on Earth and was gifted Sixshot as an unexpected bonus in the process. Bingo bango, suddenly there's a spare and Bludgeon gets held in reserve in case anything goes tits-up.

I still want to know how the Monstructor Six escaped their dimensional prison. Though it's probable at this point that it was one of the DU crew. They wouldn't have left that to chance. Sure, the six have free will but, once free, with the neural implant they can just grab them whenever. Which they did.

Neuronutter
2008-09-14, 10:41 AM
Thought I'd post my thoughts on this issue, though I'm really late to the party, and I don't have much to add that hasn't already been said so it'll mostly be echoing previous posters. Here we go anyway.

So far Revelations has been an almost perfect series. It's seamlessly combined the best elements of the Spotlights and the ongoing into one excellent story. Unfortunately, here's where that perfect score ends. Doubledealer is a poor comic. It's extremely rushed with the two intertwining threads, one for the SL and the other for ongoing, both needing more time than they get. As a result you get a mishmash of threads that all need more space than they're given. In one double page you get little segments on maybe five different planets, which feels ridiculous, and one of them gets one panel. This is the point at which the condensing of Revelations really gets messed up. Shame.

As for the art, well it ranges from great to awful. Some of the 'Bots look out of proportion, such as the full body shots of Hot Rod and Doubledealer in the first pages, but when you see them closer up they look great. I seem to remember Dan Khanna being included in the Genesis book and thinking his art was stunning, so I don't know what went wrong here. Maybe he was rushed, or didn't get a feel for these bots but the art feels as cramped as the story, which is unfortunate.

All in all, this is a poor issue and the standing of Revelations as a mini depends on the next issue. As the art is by Su, and from the previews is absolutely stunning (I can see many calls for Su to do all his own art from now on, though that may limit him to even less issues per year), the issue will stand on the story - how well Furman rounds things off, how rushed the conclusion feels and how it feeds into AHM and MD. Here's hoping that the squashing of Revelations into 4 issues pays off better than it seems to at the moment.

The other thing of course is the sales figures and so far Revelations and AHM have been much lower than expected. I hope these aren't the final acts in what has been a wonderful run by IDW on the Transformers license.