PDA

View Full Version : Who do you want to see in a Spotlight?

optimusskids
2006-11-26, 02:52 PM
So who would you like to see in the limelight

I'd quite like to see more of Mirage and a more in depth at his aristocratic background hinted at in his profile . We've never really looked at Cybertron at peace who owns the land , the factories the shops.
Some conflict with someone I see as blue collar like Gears might be good and a look at his doubts about the war

Tracks would be another good candidate he never got much exposure in the comics all i remember is that one where Grimlock is out to get him.

With a supporting cast of Omnibots mainly because of the third mode thing they all have going on and because they deserve some dvelopment. Maybe have Tracks an omnibot that got chucked out of the unit because he let them down in some way connected to his vanity and got somebody killed (opportunity for hi then die omnibots.) Making the others the survivors.

Would also like to see the Monsterbots make an appearance

Repugnus showing the grimy underside of war the pragmatic steps needed to be taken despite the Autobots code of honour.

Doublecross would be another good character to develop with his multiple personalties i always saw him as a cross between Sergeant Bilko and Face from the A team in his role as supply proccurer. I doubt he'd get his own oneshot but as part of a Swindle Oneshot looking at the logistics side of things featuring some characters like Long Haul and Landfill showing that the fight isn;t all about death and glory you need a supply chain too

Sky Lynx would be another good one

Dead End would be interesting . As the Gestalt teams currently seem to be just units rather than combiners maybe having to pass some kind of initiation test to get into the Stunticons.

Tetsuro
2006-11-26, 04:44 PM
If Simon Furman is writing these, we can be certain that my choices of Galvatron and Thunderwing will be featured regardless. :p

Denyer
2006-11-26, 05:46 PM
A Kup one has more-or-less been confirmed (possibly April):
http://forums.idwpublishing.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=21;t=2377;st=80

Have a read in there and you'll see some cover art by Alex Milne.

I'd be keen to see Repugnus one...
http://forums.idwpublishing.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=21;t=2374

Another fairly common suggestion is Punch/Counterpunch:
http://forums.idwpublishing.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=21;t=2379

Some general requests (including citybots):
http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=115537
http://forums.idwpublishing.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=21;t=2312;st=40

optimusskids
2006-11-26, 05:56 PM
Ah I see the Zombies are back

Flame Rest in Pieces Gone but not forgotten.

Good to see Squawkbox is gonna be in the Sixshot issue thats a second appearance some one likes him over there or else he's one of the few Con com's mechs with hands who's not a destructive punk.

CounterPunch
2006-11-26, 07:16 PM
I'm hoping for a Punch/Counterpunch one, used correctly he would have the potential to be the most interesting character.

Tetsuro
2006-11-26, 09:31 PM
Citybots? Now that is an interesting idea - what is it like to be a bot so frikkin' huge you spend most of the time in your base mode? And it's really difficult to socialize with bots who are sitting inside your head...

Take Metroplex for example, the only moment he ever got any characterization was in Headmasters when Mr. I Can't Deal With That Now finally HAD to deal with it.

Cliffjumper
2006-11-26, 09:48 PM
To be honest, I always thought (appropos of largely sod-all, I'll admit) that the city bots (who in my mind are Metro and Tryptie, and maybe Omega) have very limited personality levels, largely for those reasons. I mean, taking the comics as gospel, there's nothing really to suggest either Metroplex or Trypticon are sentient. I'd expect them to be like that simple because, as you say, life would really, really ****ing suck to have their job.

zigzagger
2006-11-27, 02:40 AM
Originally posted by Denyer
A Kup one has more-or-less been confirmed (possibly April):
http://forums.idwpublishing.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=21;t=2377;st=80

Really? That just might be a good read. I'm all for the lesser known characters (in contrast to Prime and co. that is) receiving special attention.

To contradict my earlier statement, and yes I am aware that he has recently received attention in Infiltration, I would love to see Ratchet in Spotlight. I guess it’s more out of personal preference, I have enjoyed the Marvel and IDW stories that involve him….and I want more! Ratchet has a surprising amount of depth, a lot more could be written about him without exhausting his appeal. The inner-conflict of a medic tossed in the middle of a war has always been a fascinating angle to me. I think Ratchet is a great character who is Spotlight worthy.

Warcry
2006-11-27, 06:21 AM
Originally posted by Cliffjumper
I mean, taking the comics as gospel, there's nothing really to suggest either Metroplex or Trypticon are sentient.
I dunno...Trypticon seemed pretty witty for a nonsentient construct in King of the Hill. And I certainly don't think that Wipe-Out would've spent so much time sucking up to him if he was just a mindless drone, either. ;)

Of course, it bears mentioning that the Trypticon we saw in that comic wasn't much more than twice as tall as Grimlock in their T-Rex modes, so he wouldn't face the same problems as a massive citybot.

Er...and on-topic, I'd like to see Spotlights on characters that we don't already know. There's already dozens of comics and cartoon episodes staring the likes of Shockwave, Nightbeat, Hot Rod and Soundwave, after all, so we really don't need character pieces about them.

I'd like to see stories focussed on TFs who've never been given the chance to carry a storyline before. That doesn't necessarily mean faceless nobodies, either...after all, Sixshot never got any character development outside of Japan, and he's got a lot of name recognition.

With that in mind, I would absolutely love to see Spotlight stories about guys like Skydive, First Aid, Ramjet or Motormaster...guys who were always around in the background of the old comics and cartoon, but never actually got any special attention.

Tetsuro
2006-11-27, 07:47 AM
I agree what you said about Trypticon. And I don't even remember SEEING Metroplex in the comics.

Osku
2006-11-27, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Warcry
I dunno...Trypticon seemed pretty witty for a nonsentient construct in King of the Hill. And I certainly don't think that Wipe-Out would've spent so much time sucking up to him if he was just a mindless drone, either. ;)

Of course, it bears mentioning that the Trypticon we saw in that comic wasn't much more than twice as tall as Grimlock in their T-Rex modes, so he wouldn't face the same problems as a massive citybot.

Trypticon also appeared in "City of Fear" story arc (Marvel UK).
http://tfarchive.com/comics/marvel/?s=uk_161_170

IIRC appeared to be sentient robot. Like Warcry, I have no problem with Trypticon like large battlebase bots, but I wouldn't want to see citybots.

Metroplex appeared in in "Space Pirates" (again Marvel UK). Sentient or not, hard to judge.
http://tfarchive.com/comics/marvel/?s=uk_181_190

Halfshell
2006-11-27, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by CounterPunch
I'm hoping for a Punch/Counterpunch one, used correctly he would have the potential to be the most interesting character.

The way I've always imagined as the best way to handle the character has already been palmed off to DoubleDealer... even taking Punch at the basic level, it's perhaps a bit similar to the ground covered already.

Personally, I think Flywheels deserves his own ongoing. But that's just me.

Tetsuro
2006-11-27, 02:24 PM
It would be kind of fun if we got a Spotlight for some obscure Japanese TF character...

I can already see it now...

SPOTLIGHT: PEPSI CONVOY :D

Or Big Bang. "Y'know...I was supposed to be the new autobot leader...then those bastards went and brought back Optimus Prime! Do you have any idea what it feels like? I mean, one day you're gonna look into the future, and for once it looks bright to you...and BANG, they bring aboard someone to replace you who's so f***ing iconic there's no way you can really question it." :D

the_escaflowne_2k
2006-11-27, 05:10 PM
I'd quite like to see an Octane one, having not read most marvel stuff im not sure if he's been covered much before so it'd be new for me.

StoneCold Skywarp
2006-11-27, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by Tetsuro
I agree what you said about Trypticon. And I don't even remember SEEING Metroplex in the comics.

The Quintessons pissed him off by hanging a load of knackered Autobots off his surrounding walls (anyone wanna help with issue #s?)

slartibartfast
2006-11-27, 07:26 PM
UK #186

thanks osku.

edit : Trypticons' first appearance (http://tfarchive.com/comics/marvel/?s=uk_111_120) was pretty much a spotlight in itself. the dinobots only "beat" him because he got bored and wandered off... uh, i'm repeating what's already been said aren't I ?

I hope they don't do perceptor, I wanted to do that one :)

Hawkeye
2006-11-27, 07:41 PM
I would pay good money for a motormaster appreance. Double if he is playing chicken with someone.

inflatable dalek
2006-11-27, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Brendocon
The way I've always imagined as the best way to handle the character has already been palmed off to DoubleDealer... even taking Punch at the basic level, it's perhaps a bit similar to the ground covered already.

You've just spoiled the amazing and unguessable twist to Hot Rod for those who haven't read it yet. :(

But more seriously, I do think they won't do Punch whilst they've got a double agent sub plot allready on the go.

I'd still say Wheeljack for a spotlight.

Tetsuro
2006-11-27, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by slartibartfast
Trypticons' first appearance (http://tfarchive.com/comics/marvel/?s=uk_111_120) was pretty much a spotlight in itself. the dinobots only "beat" him because he got bored and wandered off... uh, i'm repeating what's already been said aren't I ?

He wandered off because Ratbat called him off. :)

inflatable dalek
2006-11-27, 08:41 PM
A Ratbat spolight! That's what we really need.

Tetsuro
2006-11-27, 10:22 PM
Whatever DID happen to Ratbat in the Marvel comics anyway? I don't remember seeing him after he bought it in the Underbase storyline.

Halfshell
2006-11-27, 10:28 PM
I'd wager that he bought it in the Underbase Saga, then...

Ozz
2006-11-27, 10:32 PM
Scorponok blasted him near the end of the story.

optimusskids
2006-11-27, 11:19 PM
Ratbat would have hated that so inefficent Scorpy should have just stepped on him and conserved the energon.

LKW
2006-11-28, 01:03 AM
I’m coming up with a LOT of underdeveloped/underexposed characters I’d enjoy seeing spotlighted. And I like many of these ideas here, including Mirage up at the start. Let’s see if I can add a few…

Buzzsaw! The forgotten original Decepticon. Explore his artist’s complex (and let him talk, obviously; though, I suppose a comic full of “Squowk! Squwawk skwawk skwawk!” narrative boxes could be amusing…).

Windcharger. A sentimental favorite, as he was my first Transformer (by virtue of being unwrapped five minutes before Megatron), but also a barely touched-upon character.

Ironhide. Writing fanfic lead me to realize how much I enjoyed this character; but what we have seen of the IDW take on him leads me to think that a Spotlight on this version could be interesting.

Any seeker not named Starscream. (No offense to the ‘screamer’s fans, but he gets enough facetime.) And that includes Misfire (Why not call him a seeker? He’s a Decepticon jet; and, with the IDW re-designs, he doesn’t necessarily have to be a “futuristic” one, either.)

I’ll probably come up with more…

Hawkeye
2006-11-28, 01:06 AM
(No offense to the ‘screamer’s fans, but he gets enough facetime.)

quoted for truth but adding offense to starscreams fans.

starscream is stupid.

That is all.

secretcode
2007-10-24, 08:38 PM
Spotlights have been (mostly) great intepretations of characters. Now, keeping that in mind, who would you like to see in a spotlight?

Me? Sky Lynx and one of the Insecticons.

Chip1123
2007-10-24, 08:51 PM
Jazz, Prowl, and Springer

Skidmark
2007-10-24, 08:53 PM
IDW Primus.That would be awesome.
Cloudraker and Fastlane.They deserve more 20 seconds of screen time.

Hound
2007-10-24, 08:56 PM
Ft. Max
Ratchet
Skywarp
Starscream
Scorponok

Glitcher
2007-10-24, 09:23 PM
Starscream
Powerglide
Arcee

T'd be interesting having an IDW comic told from the lass' POV for once.

secretcode
2007-10-24, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Glitcher
Arcee

Check the news forum...

zigzagger
2007-10-24, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by Hound

Ratchet

- I concur. True, he's received plenty of exposure in the IDW-verse, but he's such a rich character that could be all the more, well, richer. Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing a couple more Spotlights that feature characters that are already active players in the main (IDW) continuity rather than just "newer" faces/incarnations.
So, yeah, another vote for Ratchet.
- Prowl seems like an obvious choice. Though, I think a Prowl Spotlight would be best executed with him primarily speaking through internal monologue. We've seen the external side, but let us understand why Prowl can be such an impartial dick.
- Scorponok simply because the fan-wanky side of me would enjoy an updated take of the Marvel incarnation. Though, by the looks of things, Furman doesn't appear to be following that cruel yet honorable angle with him this time around. Hard to say at this point, though.

Glitcher
2007-10-24, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by Maju Garzett
Check the news forum...

Wow, we have a news forum? :o

Good to see my prediction came true. I just hope IDW includes Daniel in the spotlight, since he's a big part of Arcee's character. Now if only they'd spotlight my favourite conehead, Ramjet.

Oh...

Zisteau
2007-10-24, 10:32 PM
Huffer
Cosmos
Punch/Counterpunch
Alpha Trion

Halfshell
2007-10-24, 10:53 PM
Guzzle.

chiasaur11
2007-10-25, 12:27 AM
Repugnus, or, dare I hope, Scrounge (or Rack N' Ruin).

Unicron
2007-10-25, 01:35 AM
I'd like to see Cyclonus and/or Scourge. It'd be nice to see them get some characterization beyond "lackeys of Galvatron" or "They were made by Unicron".

redman prime
2007-10-25, 01:43 AM
I'd like to see a Swoop spotlight.

he always came across, IMO, to be smarter than the rest of the dinobots.

But I don't see that happening.

Skywarp would be cool, too.

Transformer Kamen
2007-10-25, 02:38 AM
I'd be interested in a Warpath and Brawn Spotlight. Neither of these guys have gotten any love since G1(Warpath more so than Brawn).

I'm also really looking forward to the Arcee spotlight. Furman, no doubt, has some interesting things planned.

Warcry
2007-10-25, 03:11 AM
Originally posted by Halfshell
Guzzle.
:up:

Getaway. He's never gotten much attention, which is a shame. An escape artist who carries around a shotgun everywhere he goes and has a reputation for being impossible to capture or kill? He's like a robotic Jack Bauer!

Cosmos would be a perfect choice for the format. The solitary nature of his job lends itself to a first-person perspective story more readily than most, and his dutiful-yet-mischievous nature makes him someone who'd be easy for readers to identify with.

It would be nice to see any of the Monsterbots, frankly, but I'd choose Grotusque over the other two.

inflatable dalek
2007-10-25, 06:55 AM
Guzzle.

Attempting to defy expectations?

I'd love a Wheeljack one myself. Of the original Autobot line up he's the only one not to have contributed anything whatsoever. He's IDW's answer to Doctor Crusher.

[Err, should this be in the new TF comic place?]

Cliffjumper
2007-10-25, 07:52 AM
Anyone who hasn't had a major role in any mainstream series at any point before. Not that that'll happen, I eagerly await Spotlight Megatron, Spotlight Optimus Prime Again and Spotlight Grimlock May Be Overexposed But I Really Like Him Said Simon.

inflatable dalek
2007-10-25, 08:03 AM
Hopefully Megs will never be in anything ever after the bilge that was Origin...

Cliffjumper
2007-10-25, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by inflatable dalek
Hopefully Megs will never be in anything ever after the bilge that was Origin...

But if IDW don't use him for a Spotlight they might have to resort to using someone we're not fed up to the back teeth with, like they did with Nightbeat. And you know what happened there - we had a really good comic...

inflatable dalek
2007-10-25, 08:19 AM
I think "focusing more on obscure characters" isn't so much key to better comics as "killing Eric Holmes" is.

StoneCold Skywarp
2007-10-25, 08:31 AM
Groove or Reflector would be interesting.

mho

*leaves forum again after annual post*

:glance:

Wildrider
2007-10-25, 10:17 AM
All of my favourites really, Tailgate, Wheelie (done properly), Octane, Ruckus plus the Firecons.

Halfshell
2007-10-25, 10:24 AM
I think that, given the plot threads, Swindle or Scorponok would be fun to see.

Glitcher
2007-10-25, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Wildrider
Wheelie (done properly)

I think composing the entire comic in rhyme would be a nightmare for the writer. :rolleyes:

Halfshell
2007-10-25, 10:42 AM
Because his dialogue so far has been in rigid pentameter...

Chip1123
2007-10-25, 02:33 PM
a few more:

The Wreckers

and i think a really good one:

Punch / Counterpunch

(would be really interesting)

Hound
2007-10-25, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by Glitcher
I think composing the entire comic in rhyme would be a nightmare for the writer. :rolleyes: Etrigan (The Demon) had his own series... :eyebrow:

inflatable dalek
2007-10-25, 07:15 PM
Wheelies lines in the Prime Spotlight weren't in rhyme were they?

Damolisher
2007-10-25, 09:22 PM
Yeah, but it's still Wheelie, so it's killing business. lol. I'd like to see a Springer Spotlight, just to follow up on Kup's, and I"d like to see a Spotlight on Punch/Counterpunch, with a guest role for DoubleDealer.

Halfshell
2007-10-26, 07:47 AM
Wheelies lines in the Prime Spotlight weren't in rhyme were they?

I already said that! Do pay attention, 007.

Well, okay, I said the opposite but was being sarcastic, but it still counts!

inflatable dalek
2007-10-26, 07:57 AM
I already said that! Do pay attention, 007.

Re-emphasis. It's the key to education.

Halfshell
2007-10-26, 08:01 AM
... so... not a big stick, then?

inflatable dalek
2007-10-26, 08:03 AM
... so... not a big stick, then?

No, the only teachers who use big sticks on you are the ones who advertise their lessons in London phone boxes.

Denyer
2007-10-27, 12:02 AM
Repugnus.

Undercover, officially-disavowed Autobot missions, probably breaking whatever equivalents of the Prime Directive the cause has...

Terome
2007-10-27, 11:34 AM
To complete the set of letter-answerers: Dreadwind!

And Bluestreak is way overdue for some screentime. We'd probably get some good coverage of the start of the war out of him, too.

inflatable dalek
2007-10-27, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Terome
To complete the set of letter-answerers: Dreadwind!

We'd need a Ratchet one as well though.

Cliffjumper
2007-10-27, 12:09 PM
We'd need a Ratchet one as well though.

There was a Ratchet Spotlight, but due to printing errors it got stretched out to seven issues and called nah I won't even bother.

inflatable dalek
2007-10-27, 12:15 PM
There was a Ratchet Spotlight, but due to printing errors it got stretched out to seven issues and called nah I won't even bother.

*Holds up handbag*

We'd also need one on the Marvel stubbie for impersonated Blaster for issue 300 whilst he was in decontamination.

Tetsuro
2007-10-28, 07:21 PM
Metroplex.

...what?

Chris McFeely
2007-10-28, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by Tetsuro
Metroplex.

...what?

What nothin', I've been saying that to myself for a while. I have what I think is a rather nifty idea for a Metroplex spotlight that I'm trying to get put down in words...

inflatable dalek
2007-10-28, 08:23 PM
I'd like to see some Beast Wars ones. Simply because they've now introduced such a insanely large cast it'll be a bugger to do anything else with them.

Aardvark
2007-10-28, 08:33 PM
Anyone who hasn't had a major role in any mainstream series at any point before.

Halfshell
2007-10-28, 08:37 PM
If we ignore the Japanese series, we got that with Sixshot.

Cliffjumper
2007-10-28, 08:45 PM
If we ignore the Japanese series

If we ignore everything except the first season of Beast Wars, the comic version of Big Broadcast of 2006. the Classics Skywarp figure, the pile of Robo Machine catalogues sitting on my desk and Siouxie & the Banshees' #22 hit "Spellbound", we got that with Spotlight Optimus Prime :p

I've tried ignoring the Japanese series, but it keeps creeping back into my memory :( I MEAN THE ****ING ROPE BRIDGE! THE BEE PEOPLE! EVERYONE WATCHING WHILE SIXSHOT KILLS ULTRA MAGNUS! FORTRESS' ALT MODE BEING FORTRESS MAXIMUS' HEAD! THE DESTRON LOGO! BROADCAST AND SOUNDWAVE POIGNANTLY DYING ONLY TO BE REBUILT AS IDENTICAL CHARACTERS SO THOSE WHORES AT TAKARA CAN START AS THEY MEAN TO GO ON!

Halfshell
2007-10-28, 08:57 PM
If we ignore everything except the first season of Beast Wars, the comic version of Big Broadcast of 2006. the Classics Skywarp figure, the pile of Robo Machine catalogues sitting on my desk and Siouxie & the Banshees' #22 hit "Spellbound", we got that with Spotlight Optimus Prime :p

... what's your point?

Cliffjumper
2007-10-28, 08:59 PM
... what's your point?

What, in regards to this, or in general? Either way it's probably best summed up with a shrug.

inflatable dalek
2007-10-28, 09:00 PM
... what's your point?

That Sixshot counts as a over exposed character.

Halfshell
2007-10-28, 09:09 PM
Who asked you? :o

A prominent supporting role in thirty-odd episodes one-region cartoon isn't over-exposed in the grand scheme of TF-dom. He's hardly Megatron. Or Unicron. Or Starscream.

Aardvark
2007-10-28, 09:23 PM
Unfortunately, Sixshot was also one of two Spotlight issues that I really didn't like (The other being "Spotlight: Prime").

Sixshot's a "fan favourite" (Blanket term, natch), and IMO, was an obvious choice -- though I freely admit to being excited when it was first announced. I guess the only one I've been a little surprised with is Ramjet -- but he's still pretty well known. I myself would describe all the Seekers as "celebrities". I've mentioned before that I don't usually go for the celebs, but I really do dislike the Seekers for reasons stated in other threads.

I understand the commercial rationale and all that, but it doesn't stop me from wanting to see more obscure characters. I'm not looking for Staxx here or anything (But that would rock), just some less obvious choices.

It's not a huge gripe or anything -- I've pretty much enjoyed all the other issues so far -- though I only had a quick read of "Spotlight: Galvatron" in Forbidden Planet (Didn't have enough money at the time). It was gone the next day. D:

Am I the only one who thought "Spotlight: Prime" was unbearably dull? I preferred Sixshot's issue to that.

Halfshell
2007-10-28, 09:45 PM
Prime was decent... better the second read-through. Like Galvatron, it's a plot issue rather than a supporting issue... advances the story more than proving background info, which kinda defeats the object of the series, but ho hum.

It's not brilliant. By far from my favourite, but it gets some decent info out there, plus made me glow with fanboy glee from the Jhiaxus reference.

Aardvark
2007-10-28, 10:18 PM
:eek:"Spotlight: Prime" SPOILERS below:eek:

For me it's the perfect recipe for a bad Spotlight -- lack of interesting characterisation, supporting characters that are as dull as dishwater and a terribly uninteresting fight. Pretty much the opposite of the Shockwave issue. What happened to subtly dropping information regarding future plot points while still telling a story that can function on its own?

With Prime, we got an info dump and a really bad fight. Take away the exposition regarding a subplot that probably won't come to major fruition till Revelation and all you're left with is a poor fight and some uninteresting dialogue (IMO, natch). It was nice seeing the Monster Pretenders -- but it's not as if they did anything of interest. Cameos and references to characters (Such as the Jhiaxus one) don't really make an issue worthwhile (Not implying that that's what you think :)). If they did, everyone would have loved Dreamwave's G1 series.

Don't mean to sound overly harsh. It is the only issue I've had a major problem with.

I can barely string sentences together at the moment... :yawn:

secretcode
2007-10-29, 12:04 AM
If we're talking Beast Wars, Leo Prime/Lio Convoy/Lion Robot who looks like Optimus Prime would be intresting to say the least. As long as the mariachi-bots aren't involved... Or the ball-slapping raccoon...

Transformer Kamen
2007-10-29, 01:59 AM
If we're talking Beast Wars, Leo Prime/Lio Convoy/Lion Robot who looks like Optimus Prime would be intresting to say the least. As long as the mariachi-bots aren't involved... Or the ball-slapping raccoon...

Speaking of ball-slapping raccons, who would make an awesome spotlight by the way, I would like to see some Beast Wars Neo characters show up in further IDW comics, in The Gathering continuity naturally.

inflatable dalek
2007-10-29, 07:26 AM
The problem with the Prime Spotlight was it didn't tell you anything new that couldn't have been inserted into Galvatron in two lines [Nove Prime was on the Ark, he's a nutter and mates with a beloved G2 character]. It might go up if they do anything with Monstructor again, but I've a feeling he'll be used as the basis for combiner tech off screen; in which case the Autobots might as well have come up with it by themselves).

And as we're now into talking about issues in depth, over to the new comics forum we go...

zigzagger
2007-10-29, 08:44 AM
I'd like to see some Beast Wars ones. Simply because they've now introduced such a insanely large cast it'll be a bugger to do anything else with them.

Yeah, I had been thinking that myself. Because of Ascending's large cast, it has taken a lot away from development of the leading cast. Either something that focuses more on some of the countless grunts that we are seeing so they don't continue to come across a generics, or some backstory on the some of the leading characters, which are suffering because of the inundation of characters. Shokaract is good example of this, who we still know little about, let alone care. You know, a spotlight that convinces me that he's not just some silly junkie, but something that actually plays a pivotal role in the main arc.
So, yeah, Beasties would definitely benefit from some spotlight action.

Or, you know, incorporate these ideas into the main arc...I guess

inflatable dalek
2007-10-29, 08:50 AM
Or try and write a comic that doesn't rely on year old convention exclusive fiction read by two people and one goat for vital plot points.

Halfshell
2007-10-29, 08:58 AM
From what I've read of The Ascending (only #1 - holding off on #2 until I've finished my review of the first one), it's actually a reinvention of the Shokaract story. Mostly because I don't see how Furman can connect BW Neo to Reaching the Omega Point without heavily reimagining them both.

Ho hum. It's not like Shokaract's an actual character or anything, though. Any cipher could be used as Unicron's vessel... I'd say Furmo opted for the Big S on the grounds that, well, he's already established in licensed fiction.

But this thread's not about that...

The problem with the Prime Spotlight was it didn't tell you anything new that couldn't have been inserted into Galvatron in two lines [Nove Prime was on the Ark, he's a nutter and mates with a beloved G2 character]. It might go up if they do anything with Monstructor again, but I've a feeling he'll be used as the basis for combiner tech off screen; in which case the Autobots might as well have come up with it by themselves).

You just completely undermined your own point. Especially as we know that the Monstructor components are going to feature prominently in the Jhiaxus-related Spotlight Arcee. The OP Spotlight serves as an intro to that. It also establishes Omega Supreme as a raging hypocrite and illustrates how badly the combiner tech can backfire (which I suspect it will).

inflatable dalek
2007-10-29, 09:03 AM
You just completely undermined your own point. Especially as we know that the Monstructor components are going to feature prominently in the Jhiaxus-related Spotlight Arcee.

I didn't know that. I thought the blurb was a bit vauge on what Jhiaxus' involvement would be (hence some assuming he'd be behind the fem-bot tech)? Obviously I've missed or forgotten something.

Halfshell
2007-10-29, 09:06 AM
The six 'strucy components are featured on the cover. Or at least their heads are, anyway.

zigzagger
2007-10-29, 09:07 AM
I didn't know that. I thought the blurb was a bit vauge on what Jhiaxus' involvement would be (hence some assuming he'd be behind the fem-bot tech)? Obviously I've missed or forgotten something.
Pretty sure that's them on the cover.
http://simonfurman.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/arceea_milne_bw.jpg

EDIT: Curse your quick posting abilities.

Halfshell
2007-10-29, 09:11 AM
That's the badger.

I think the "tinkering" thing was left deliberately vague... but then the cover goes and shows us the cast, complete with the grid background for those chars... factoring in the Prime Spotlight and I think it's fairly evident what the issue's going to be addressing.

inflatable dalek
2007-10-29, 09:17 AM
I must admit the only bit of that I'd properly looked at was Fort and Arcee. More fool me (though hopefully I'm not the only one, I don't recall any "Ohhhh Monstructor!" posts in the thread the cover went up in). It's Perceptor's microscope all over again.

Halfshell
2007-10-29, 09:21 AM
I don't recall any "Ohhhh Monstructor!" posts in the thread the cover went up in

http://www.tfarchive.com/community/showthread.php?s=&threadid=41054

... first reply?

inflatable dalek
2007-10-29, 09:25 AM
Monstructorbots? Never heard of them. And you're on my ignore list. And I've a note from my Mother excusing me from combiner recognition tests. My account was hacked.

secretcode
2007-10-29, 05:34 PM
Gah. Didn't realize it should have gone in that forum as these aren't existing comics. Ah well.

You know what would be a cool Spotlight? Laserbeak, as he never really did much except spying and flying.

inflatable dalek
2007-10-29, 08:23 PM
Gah. Didn't realize it should have gone in that forum as these aren't existing comics. Ah well.

It wasn't a bad call as the question is effectively "What TF would you like to have a story to themselves?", something that non-IDW readers would probably have a few thoughts on as well. It was only the move into more spoilerish areas that made the move.

Prime20007
2007-10-29, 08:40 PM
I would like to see Unicron, Ironhide, Hot Rod/Rodimus and the history of Cybertron.

Halfshell
2007-10-31, 08:58 AM
Having thought this through, and bearing in mind what characters are likely [ie fan favourites], I wouldn't object to a Starscream Spotlight. Preferably focussing on the Earth-based events that built up to Infiltration.

optimusskids
2007-11-03, 04:28 PM
just had a thought most of the animal* based Con combiners have showed up so far Terrorcons, Predacons, Monstructor.

I'd like to see Spotlight Hook sort of build him up as the Con equivalent of Ratchet although with the Con's having the CR chambers I guess he's not as essential from a pure medical viewpoint. but would still be interesting to see more of the Con's logistics structure.

Also I think it would be good to expand the concept into Transformers Duos or Team.

Duo Breakdown and Tailgate or something just for the comedic value.

Breakdown : "They're all staring at me."

Tailgate :" of course they are they want us to free them they're trapped, enslaved we must free them. Freedom is the right of all sentinent beings...."

*may or may not refer to things that can actually be found in London Zoo

secretcode
2007-11-05, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by Prime20007
I would like to see Unicron, Ironhide, Hot Rod/Rodimus and the history of Cybertron.

Hot Rod already happened. Unicron would be intresting, maybe as an origin story.

Halfshell
2007-11-05, 07:21 PM
Unicron hasn't been interesting since Legacy...

Terome
2007-11-05, 07:22 PM
He's good at answering letters. They should bring him back for that.

inflatable dalek
2007-11-05, 07:25 PM
Unicron hasn't been interesting since Legacy...

Whichw as the one story they did something different with him. Perhaps if they let someone other than Furman write it and let them come up witha new angle?

Terome
2007-11-05, 07:28 PM
I have got the greatest Unicron story ever created floating around in my head and I'm never going to tell it to ANYONE! You're all going to be stuck with cheap imitations of it for the rest of time. Ha!

inflatable dalek
2007-11-05, 07:31 PM
If it's not the one in my head guest staring Shakira and custard it's only the second best.

Terome
2007-11-05, 07:35 PM
Mine's got Shakira and a spacesuit full of mischievous elves, the union of which creates the first Stuntacon. It's very spiritual.

MegatronIDW
2007-11-06, 12:47 PM
Let's get a Starscream spotlight. We know that in his early life among the Decepticons he pretty much worshipped Megatron, tagging along like a fanboy. How did he go from THAT to being someone willing to blow Megatron away with an Ore 13 fueled onslaught? What happened to turn Starscream into the back stabber he became?

And a Megatron spotlight would be good as well. Yes, he had the "Origin" mini but it really didn't give us much insight into his character. Let's see Furman do some of that awesome G2 style work on Megatron.

inflatable dalek
2007-11-06, 07:50 PM
Frankly I'd be happy if Megatron falls down a big dark hole for a long time after the amazing awfulness of the Origin comic completely screwing what decent characterisation he's had so far (not to mention that the more and more he goes towards the deep end in the main comic the less interesting he is).

Halfshell
2007-11-06, 07:53 PM
F'eh. Megatron Origin didn't contain any characterisation on any level.

I was actually thinking earlier this week that I wouldn't object to a Spotlight on him. It's doubtful, given that he got four issues that were ostensibly his, but it would go some way to redressing the damage that Holmes did.

And of course being made interesting is something that Megatron is desperately in need of.

Terome
2007-11-06, 11:03 PM
Am I correct in thinking that Furman is not going to be writing the two Spotlights after Grimlock? Because we might just be looking at the possibility of Eric Holmes on a Megatron or a Starscream Spotlight. Or both.

Dreadwing
2007-11-07, 05:26 AM
Jhiaxus would be interesting

A Sunstreaker spotlight would be awsome to! Assumeing he in fact does become a headmaster in devastation, that would be a great format to develop how the technology works in IDW continuity.

Halfshell
2007-11-07, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by Terome
Am I correct in thinking that Furman is not going to be writing the two Spotlights after Grimlock? Because we might just be looking at the possibility of Eric Holmes on a Megatron or a Starscream Spotlight. Or both.

Well, he said somewhere (notice how I always have all the facts with supporting links to hand?) that he'd be writing 3 of the 5. We know his third is Grimlock, but nowhere has it been confirmed that Grimmers is the next one. Could be the fifth one.

I'd guess that one of the other two writers would be Moore. I'd hope against Holmes, but it may be interesting to see what he'd do without the "I had to cut it down from six issues" excuse...

inflatable dalek
2007-11-07, 08:50 AM
Or with a decent artist and an awake editor as well. Or learning how to type more than "Huh" or "heh"...

Halfshell
2007-11-07, 09:10 AM
When it was six issues, the dialogue was long and poetic and characterisy and made sense. The condensing turned it all into Hrnh.

Also, all those characters were going to be spread out over six issues... but they'd been paid their appearance fee already so had to be squeezed in. That's why you can't work out what's going on.

Also because the colourist's a fool.

Basically, yeah, I want to see how he handles the one-shot format. Because all his [so far stock] excuses will be null and void. Obviously prefer if he did it on some other comic...

inflatable dalek
2007-11-07, 09:18 AM
How do we rationalise there not being enough plot for four issues let alone six? Actually, it would have made a better one off...

Halfshell
2007-11-07, 09:26 AM
How do we rationalise there not being enough plot for four issues let alone six?

My question from the outset...

Terome
2007-11-07, 10:49 AM
I'm fairly convinced that if Megatron: Origin was squeezed down to a Ratbat Spotlight, it could have been awesome. It would just be an unscrupulous, short-sighted businessman sitting in his office, accidentally shaping the course of history. If he's just buggered off to Iacon in the end, leaving Kaon in ruins, crying 'Yoink!', you'd have yourself a wonderful little story.

Starfield
2008-02-11, 11:21 PM
Skids - just because
Jazz - give him an honest to goodness "special ops" mission
Gunrunner has potential
Reflector - just for the challenge. Is reflector three bots in one mind in the IDW universe?