PDA

View Full Version : Spotlight: Arcee

zigzagger
2008-02-16, 03:50 AM
Holy token female characters, Batman, it's Arcee! That's right, the pink-clad Autobot is here and she's whole lot crazier. Ooo, and Jhiaxus will be there too, in some capacity. This is your all purpose Transformers Spotlight: Arcee reaction and discussion thread.

Due to arrive in your sweaty fanboy/girl hands the 20th of this month according to....some anonymous source?
http://forum.idwpublishing.com/viewtopic.php?t=3245&start=45

edit:Yep, confirmed for Wednesday. http://comicnewsi.com/article.php?catid=223&itemid=11134

To some within the fandom this might be controversial subject matter, so do try to stay on topic, m'kay?
http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/3622/27zg0.gif

DrSpengler
2008-02-20, 07:11 PM
The colorists did a fairly good job. It was muddy, but nowhere near the level of Megatron: Origin. I was actually able to tell Milne's characters apart from the background.

Making Fortress Maximus a prison warden was awesome, as was the whole concept behind the prison itself. Everything with Arcee, though...eck. She reeks of "Mary Sue" qualities even if she is an established character. I did kinda like Milne's redesign, particularly the unhinging jaw. The "BLAARRRGH JHIAXUS!!1!" stuff got old fast, though.

And her motivation for hating him? A sex change? I dunno whether to laugh or cry.

Drivaaar
2008-02-21, 12:28 AM
The colorists did a fairly good job. It was muddy, but nowhere near the level of Megatron: Origin. I was actually able to tell Milne's characters apart from the background.

Glad you liked the colouring - Milne's art sure is a challenge to colour!

zigzagger
2008-02-21, 01:28 AM
Alright. This wasn't as silly as I had expected it to be. Not as many gendered stereotypes or subtexts distracted from the over all story (not to say that they're non-existent, of course. There's plenty).The story itself isn't as self-contained as earlier rumored, though its ties to Spotlight: Optimus Prime and Devastation #5 are somewhat indirect, but definitely there. But my initial observation of this Spotlight, much like Spotlight: Galvatron, was that it didn't necessarily feel like a spotlight of a particular character, but part of a larger, continuing story. Hence why it didn't quite seem "self-contained". But we do see some some of Arcee's inner dialogue, which was nice. Fortress Maximus, who is the main supporting cast member for this issue, is stationed at a detention center as a warden was a nice touch on the character. However, though he gets plenty of page time, we're not offered much insight of the character. He's seems very....Magnus-like. The former G2 antagonist , Jhiaxus, finally makes an appearance. Well, sort of. In a distorted transmission, but from what we're able to make out, thankfully, looks familiar (yellow face, red helmet, some gold around the shoulders). Guess that will have to sate me for the time being.

Arcee's history is...an interesting one, from what we are able to ascertain that is. Maybe even tragic. The gender thing, much like it sometimes is in society, is a construct. Arcee, from the sound of things, under went a sort of forced sex/gender change simply because....well, Jhiaxus felt like introducing it into the Cybertronian species. What Jhiaxus' justification behind creating a pink clad, femme-bot of death has yet to be revealed. I am hoping that this does receive some explanation at some point other than simply that "Jhiaxus was curious." It is explained however that Arcee's "change" is more than just cosmetic, so to speak, but is on a molecular level, which Arcee appears to deeply resent. Still doesn't explain a whole lot, and what we do get seems...kind of silly, but almost believable enough. It's not as if "sex" (since were not talking about gender here) isn't a completely inconceivable concept as far as this issue is concerned, especially since Arcee claims to have been infected on a molecular level - then again, I suppose it doesn't have to be inherently "just so" either. There's just something that is slightly off about how Furman decided to tackle this subject. Still, the whole transgendered identity thing could potentially be interesting, contentious as it may be.
3.2 out of 5 (good but not great)

Commander Shockwav
2008-02-21, 03:38 AM
Got it.

Liked it, overall.

Positives?

The cast grows, with some big hitters this time, including Fortress Maximus and Jhiaxus (he looks like Jhiaxus too!) Banzaitron and his secret service (which we find out includes the Combaticons too) make their appearance. Good to see Jetfire and the Technobots again too.

Certainly, these events that take place away from Earth add scope to this continuity, making things more epic.

Looks like the door is opening for some more gestalts now too.

Another positive is that Milne's art, though still cluttered, is nothing like his Megatron:Origin work, and though I'm not fond of his blocky style, at least things are more clear.

The negatives? Well, the whole gender thing is kind of stupid. "I hate Jhiaxus because he made me......a girl!!!!" But on some level, the idea is pallatable and almost believable, given Jhiaxus' strange experimental tendencies. So where I thought I would be more "nah" on the idea of female Transformers, instead I'm more "ehh".

Overall, enjoyable. Give it a "B".

Rossum
2008-02-22, 03:58 AM
Good story, like the personality on Arcee and the addition of the new characters. The art was pretty good too, though it seems like no one knows how to use a light switch in the TF world.

The big 'explanation' for femme-bots was pretty much a letdown--like zigzagger said, it just felt "off". Gender=experiment, great. Not a lot of insight there as to what the differences are that make Arcee female. Just some CNA and sensory input blather.

Oh well, still pretty good, and action-y.

Denyer
2008-02-22, 05:20 AM
Very solid. Plenty here apart from the titular character; Jhiaxus is up to something (and probably active in the main universe), more on the Tyrest Accord, an Autobot penal colony, spark prisons, a power play for technology, lots of character appearances, Autobots prepared to kill prisoners, off-the-record deals... all slotted around enough action sequences to keep the most ADHD fan happy. And Banzaitron playing the part of the Romulans. And leaving the field open for Repugnus to get take out of a spark prison and slotted back into a body for whatever need the Autobot cause deems vital enough; magnificent -- and Skyjack and Longtooth are similarly interesting choices to be incarcerated.

Onto the main attraction. The characters aren't speaking English, but the pronoun they use amongst themselves corresponds to one that in amongst beings would be "he". When addressing Arcee, they unconsciously use a pronoun that they'd use when addressing non-Transformers that identify as female.

What are they "sensing"? It seems unlikely a different body-shell would provoke an unconscious reaction, given the many and varied (and non-bipedal) robot modes out there. Spark signature? Sparks seem a reasonable candidate for what C.N.A. is encoded into -- after all, we've seen no sign that metal is grown. Something unlike themselves. Jhiaxus had a stated aim and tampered with an existing Transformer, creating an almost psychic link to himself (super-string theory? harmonics?) and leaving his subject with a side-effect of sensory damage.

This raises the possibility that the 'fembots' seen in Megatron: Origin are just Transformers with body-shells modified to fit a fashion, rather than having significantly different C.N.A. like Jhiaxus' experiment. Indeed, all Furman would need to support this reading is to mention casually in another plot that, in peace-time and when opportunity permits, Transformers actively enjoyed mimicking organic species -- whether to attempt to better understand the lifeforms they share a universe with or just for fun.

Art's a hell of a lot better than anything else I've seen Milne do on a published TF comic. Hats off to him for sticking with it.

4/5. Would've been higher with some further explication.

Clay
2008-02-27, 08:23 PM
Transgender transformers.

Awesome.

MikeB
2008-02-27, 08:46 PM
Anyone else hear of IDW's entire weekly shipment for the UK going missing?

That's what the guys at nostalgia and comics were talking about when I tried to get this (overheard them, it wasn't an excuse peddled to me for not having the comic!), I'd forgotten to order it from Steve's site and wanted to get it there and then, but nowhere in Birmingham seems to have it. I've ordered it from Steve now, so no worries, but that's quite a lot of stuff to go missing if it's true?

Neuronutter
2008-02-28, 05:38 PM
I finally got this today and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I thought the art was much better than Milne's previous issues, much easier to understand, the colours were nicely done and the story well executed. It was good to see some more characters making a debut as well as some of the previously introduced reappearing and the way the story intermingled previous threads from other spotlights and issues was also well done. I hope we see Arcee make her main ongoing debut sometime soon, hopefully in the first few issues of Revelation.

Red Dave Prime
2008-02-28, 11:40 PM
Yeah, good issue. The art works much better then origins and the plot rumbles along nicely. Swindles abscense from the combaticons is interesting (as he was last seen in Magnus Spotlight). Is he part of the squad?

On the matter of sparks I'm curious here - is it possible to destroy a transformers body but still have them "alive" if their spark is intact? This issue would seem to indicate that thats the case but other issues would indicate otherwise (without spoiling I'm paricularly thinking of Devastation #6)

inflatable dalek
2008-02-29, 11:40 PM
The best bit of this issue: Firm confirmation Arcee is the only female Transformer and that the rest of the IDW cast don't have genders.

Second best bit: Longtooth as a hard core prison bitch. And is his spark floating there the first proof Bludgeon is still alive (albeit outside of his body)?

The rest was crap though.

Denyer
2008-02-29, 11:56 PM
Haven't seen Dev #6 yet, and won't until Steve gets his deliveries or it shows up in seedy parts of teh intarweb, but I'd presume that sparks/sparkcores need stabilising outside a body -- this may be a delicate procedure.

Anyone else hear of IDW's entire weekly shipment for the UK going missing?

Sounds credible. Diamond are ****ing incompetent at the best of times.

Halfshell
2008-03-01, 03:44 PM
Enjoyed that. Not as focussed on/driven by Arcee as I'd expected. More bookended by.

Felt slightly misled on the whole fembot issue. No questions properly addressed or answers given... more just a case of the issue acknowledged, with some vaguaries about Jhiaxus. The why was brought up, but sketchy details and mumblings about CNA don't really constitute a how. Though it does act as confirmation that, beyond experiments to introduce the concept, gender definitely doesn't exist for TFs here.

Art was nice. Colouring seemed to blip slightly on one page (don't have the number to hand, thumbed it in FP as my copy hasn't arrived yet). A bit too good for its own good in some places, though... action shots in small panels don't suit Milne. Superdetailed backgrounds make it hard to focus on exactly what we're meant to be looking at. The orbital jump scene for one could have been clearer.

Nice to get our first "proper" Jhiaxus appearance, even if it's not a full shot as per Devastation.

Intrigued as to how exactly Dealer found out about the gestalt. Though if the science team are on the case and openly discussing it with Fort Max, it's probably not TOO classified.

Liked the little cameos on the inmate roster. Also interesting premise as to how they act as auxilliary staff in an emergency. Confirms Bludgeon's fate... though does leave me interested in what exactly was being guarded at Thunderhead Pass... unless of course "guarding deactivated Decepticons" was just a generalisation and it was only the one.

Getting annoyed by the whole "then" and "much later" approach to chronology... how am I supposed to piece together a definitive timline without a hard sequence of events?

Surprised by the lack of Swindle. Would have thought he'd be jailbreaking too... guess there are still some twists and turns to be taken.

Oh, and massive points for the inclusion of an Autobot security expert in an Autobot security facility. Anything with Kick-Off in it is automatically awesome.

inflatable dalek
2008-03-01, 04:46 PM
Felt slightly misled on the whole fembot issue. No questions properly addressed or answers given... more just a case of the issue acknowledged, with some vaguaries about Jhiaxus. The why was brought up, but sketchy details and mumblings about CNA don't really constitute a how. Though it does act as confirmation that, beyond experiments to introduce the concept, gender definitely doesn't exist for TFs here.

The concept behind Arcee's origin was fine for me, it was the execution that let it down. Everyone in the issue seems hugely scared of her but the sense of power didn't really come across very well, despite her taking out the Combaticons I didn't get the sense she did anything Jetfire or Fort Max couldn't have done on a day where the plot didn't depend on them being useless.

Intrigued as to how exactly Dealer found out about the gestalt. Though if the science team are on the case and openly discussing it with Fort Max, it's probably not TOO classified.

Possibly he got the information from Hot Rod during their chat- Hot Rod probably isn't aware of all the details of Prime's little jaunt in his Spotlight but he may know enough for Dealer to be able to piece it together from things he may have found out from other sources. Am I the only one to find it a shame that Banzaitron (and I guess the lack of hyphen is deliberate then rather than a mistake in Hot Rod) wasn't joking about calling him Doubledealer from now out?

And speaking of Banzaitron, why was he on the ship? The head of the secret service is to important to risk in a dangerous situation like that, and its not as if he needs to be there when he could just radio in his orders, or even give them before hand.

Surprised by the lack of Swindle. Would have thought he'd be jailbreaking too... guess there are still some twists and turns to be taken.

Wasn't Magnus going to hand over Swindle to a Decepticon Prison for trial?

Oh, and massive points for the inclusion of an Autobot security expert in an Autobot security facility. Anything with Kick-Off in it is automatically awesome.

It's just a shame Kick-Off was clearly so useless at security, they wouldn't have needed to wake up a prisoner to use in the defence of the place if he'd been half decent at his job...

Halfshell
2008-03-01, 07:39 PM
And speaking of Banzaitron, why was he on the ship? The head of the secret service is to important to risk in a dangerous situation like that, and its not as if he needs to be there when he could just radio in his orders, or even give them before hand.

Maybe the whole thing's so secret that they only have the one ship. Hrmmmmm.

Wasn't Magnus going to hand over Swindle to a Decepticon Prison for trial?

The first time. He arrested him twice. We don't know what happened the second time. He might have been handed over for trial, he may have struck a deal that gave Magnus the further lead on Scorponok. He may have been thrown in Garrus-9.

Given that we knew the other Combaticons were going to be involved, I half expected Swindle to be in the issue in some capacity.

It's just a shame Kick-Off was clearly so useless at security

Yuh... huh...

inflatable dalek
2008-03-02, 03:11 AM
Maybe the whole thing's so secret that they only have the one ship. Hrmmmmm.

Seven ships (at least, that's all that appears on panel). I'm not sure if it's a flaw in the art or the writing that despite sending some bloody big ships (based on the scale of the room Banzaitron is in to the exterior of the ship) the Decepticons opnly seem to send about six troops down to the planet...

The first time. He arrested him twice. We don't know what happened the second time. He might have been handed over for trial, he may have struck a deal that gave Magnus the further lead on Scorponok. He may have been thrown in Garrus-9.

Garrus 9 seems to be holding the top line prisoners (all of whom seem to have special powers in other continuities, though not yet in IDW's case for some of them so that can be treated as coincidence), for Swindle to get sent there he must have really upped his crime game between the start and end of the Ultra Magnus Spotlight.

Given that we knew the other Combaticons were going to be involved, I half expected Swindle to be in the issue in some capacity.

I'd be surprised if Swindle were part of the IDW Combaticons, his free wheeling Del Boy style antics makes me feel it's unlikely he's ever been part of a crack commando secret service team. One thing I wasn't sure on actually, does the term Combaticon apply to everyone who goes down to the surface? Becuase there's at least two other Decepticons- as well as Blast Off- who die horribly in the raid (is the chap with the Hot Rod style spoiler on his back a toy based character?).

Halfshell
2008-03-02, 10:22 AM
Garrus 9 seems to be holding the top line prisoners

What exactly was the crime of the Pretender Monsters? Having been made? Fort Max seemingly wanted them stripped down solely because he could. Okay, they might be dangerous, but it's not like they've done anything major.

Like persistently break intergalactic law. Swindle's a bigger criminal than them.

(all of whom seem to have special powers in other continuities

What's Skyjack's special power then?

Blast Off- who die horribly in the raid

Missed that. Milne really needs to work on clarity. Nothing to do with my only having skimmed it the once.

inflatable dalek
2008-03-02, 05:35 PM
What exactly was the crime of the Pretender Monsters? Having been made? Fort Max seemingly wanted them stripped down solely because he could. Okay, they might be dangerous, but it's not like they've done anything major.

Ah, I didn't say necessarily top line criminals, but prisoners, the ones that are absolutely essential to be kept under lock and key because they'd either most likely escape from a more normal prison (Arcee) or can not ever be allowed to fall into the wrong hands (Bludgeon and the Pretender Monsters), or indeed both.

Like persistently break intergalactic law. Swindle's a bigger criminal than them.

They did try to kill at least two Autobots, including their leader. Political assasination probably counts as a fairly big crime whatever the mitigating circumstances of their mental states (and they don't even have the excuse of being Decepticons and thus at war with Omega and Prime).

What's Skyjack's special power then?

Do Cyberjets have no special skit then? Well, the odd man out in that regard then.

Missed that. Milne really needs to work on clarity. Nothing to do with my only having skimmed it the once.

Stabbed right through the chest by Arcee- Reading again though he is being carried by Brawl as they beam out so seemingly surrvived. Good for him (and means Arcee sportingly only kills generic Transformers).

Red Dave Prime
2008-03-02, 06:09 PM
Re: small size of the secret service... in IDWs storyline it seems that altough powerful, both the autobot and decepticon armies arent exactly huge. Take for example the decepticon scouting parties on Nebulos and Earth. Theres only a few robots in each group. It would be possible that the secret service contains itself on a few ships and robots. More interesting is why the decepticons would have a secret service. I've been thinking that surely it should have been these guys who megatron sent to follow shockwave (and bludgeon). The concept could be great if they flesh it out more but so far we've had no interaction between megatron and this secret service. Before they started getting involved in clandestine schemes it would have been nice to get a feel for how they work within the decepticon army. Spotlight:Banziatron perhaps?

inflatable dalek
2008-03-03, 09:47 AM
Stabbed right through the chest by Arcee- Reading again though he is being carried by Brawl as they beam out so seemingly surrvived. Good for him (and means Arcee sportingly only kills generic Transformers).

Shows what I know- A full on close examination of all the bods seen in order to ID them for my review reveal no other Decepticons bar the four Combaticons.Effectively I was confused by mistaking what is presumably meant to be one landing pod shown moving in three drawings for three different landing pods and thus assuming at least some of the various dead/dying characters I didn't recognise straight away to be with the Cons.

It took three readings, but the actual layout of the battle actually makes sense to me now, weather or not that's Milne's fault or my innate dumbness, you decide.

Spotlight:Banziatron perhaps?

I'd like that- One thing I've been wondering of late is that Furman has been very careful to show Prime constantly maintaining a interest in the wider war during his time on Earth- watching reports every chance he gets and so on. It's easy to believe he's still fairly active in running the bigger picture even if he's not as hands on as he might normally be. We haven't had this for Megatron, and with his erratic behaviour during recent issues I find it unlikely this has been happening off camera. Which raises the question of who's been running the big picture for the Month or so he's been on Earth? My money would be on Mr. Secret Service Man.

Alternately, they could do a comic where Banzaitron looks for his missing Hyphen...

MegatronIDW
2008-03-03, 05:18 PM
I personally doubt that Megatron woul just go "Oh, the Decepticon Empiure can look after itself for a while" no matter how erratic he is. INcreasingly nutty vendetta with Prime or not, he's not to the point where he doesn't give a damn about the Decepticon cause.

But I'm betting Banzai Tron is pretty high up in the chain. I too would love a spotlight on this guy, to see what goes through that sinister head of his. Would also be good to find out wexactly what his full role is. He's involved in espionage obviously, but his interest in the gestalts makes me think he may also be handling the R&D side of the Decepticon Empire.

Denyer
2008-03-03, 05:26 PM
I'm assuming something equivalent to the Romulan Tal Shiar...

Do Cyberjets have no special skit then?
They're from the era Hasbro was too entrenched in naming subgroups to stop.

The printing with this one was definitely a problem, as the preview pages were much clearer. I think both this and M:O were done at the printers who have a short lead time and can get things done very close to deadline when required. Unfortunately, they don't seem to be very good at printing.

Halfshell
2008-03-03, 06:07 PM
Now have my own copy. Came in here specifically to bitch about the colouring and to call Dalek on his comment about Arcee only killing generics...

But have been beaten to the punch. :(

I do however now want Spotlight: Ransack.

Solely to see what he's been upto since Spotlight Sixshot to end up in Garrus-9. :o

inflatable dalek
2008-03-03, 08:04 PM
I do however now want Spotlight: Ransack.

Solely to see what he's been upto since Spotlight Sixshot to end up in Garrus-9. :o

It's especially impressive of him considering it's only been about three weeks as well. Another case of "That was my Brother Runsuck" perhaps?

As for colouring/reproduction problems, surely it can't be that much of a coincidence that Milne seems to be the only artist regularly affected with these problems?

Halfshell
2008-03-03, 08:20 PM
I'd think that if a bunch of dumb stubbies can dig up a Dinobot in that time, it should be no problem for a Decepticon to get himself arrested and stripped down...

Terome
2008-03-04, 05:31 PM
Also, it's still unclear as to when exactly Spotlight: Sixshot happens. It could have happened a hundred years ago, even. Maybe the Reapers hung around Mummu Obscura for centuries, waiting for Sixshot to call. Ransack could have become King of All Worlds in that time. He could have teamed up with Rampage, Runabout and Runamuck and stolen the Cosmic Key in an ill-conceived Masters Of The Universe cross-over.

What I'm trying to say is, I think it's a pretty good bet that Skeletor personally handed Ransack over the Autobots.

Warcry
2008-03-04, 07:36 PM
I haven't read the issue yet, so I'm not sure -- do we actually see Ransack, or just his name on a spark cell/whatnot? If the latter, it bears mentioning that there are two Decepticons named Ransack and the one who's locked up could just as easily be G2 Ransack (whose forward recon speciality does lend itself to capture).

Halfshell
2008-03-04, 07:49 PM
Also, it's still unclear as to when exactly Spotlight: Sixshot happens.

Yipyip. We know it's a year after Ys'Devian or whatever it was called... but what planet's year... who can say.

I haven't read the issue yet, so I'm not sure -- do we actually see Ransack, or just his name on a spark cell/whatnot?

Name on a spark cell.

If the latter, it bears mentioning that there are two Decepticons named Ransack and the one who's locked up could just as easily be G2 Ransack (whose forward recon speciality does lend itself to capture).

Warcry with TEH KNOWLEDGE. Go you.

inflatable dalek
2008-03-05, 07:00 AM
Also, it's still unclear as to when exactly Spotlight: Sixshot happens. It could have happened a hundred years ago, even. Maybe the Reapers hung around Mummu Obscura for centuries, waiting for Sixshot to call.

I'd say it's a fairly safe bet they'll have followed him wherever he went next, so ita unlikely to have been to long. Though it is in keeping with the Reapers general shitness that they'd sit around playing Gin for 100 years...

What I'm trying to say is, I think it's a pretty good bet that Skeletor personally handed Ransack over the Autobots.

As long as it's film Skeletor. Cartoon Skeletor couldn't handle bugger all.

Terome
2008-03-05, 07:10 AM
As long as it's film Skeletor. Cartoon Skeletor couldn't handle bugger all.

But film Skeletor would just have Ransack tied up and whipped and sweaty. It would be gross.

AskShockwave
2008-03-07, 01:43 PM
I read this one almost straight after Dev#6 (Scarlet Traces in between, for moot's sake), and I wasn't intially impressed, but it's a grower. I struggled with the art a bit - EJ Su's clean, almost minimal style doesn't help as a primer - but rereading cleared a few things up (I didn't realise, at first, that Arcee had only attacked a hologram - instead, it seemed like she had lopped his arm off, making the next few panels slightly confusing...).

There were some nice flourishes of invention, too - Arcee's hand unfolding slighty to become an ad hoc grenade launcher, her energy bolt firing swords, Blast Off's jet pack... Arcee's redesign was good as well, managing to capture her essence while getting rid of things like the tell-tale Princess Lea Buns. The generic bots/unnamed cameos were very well handled.

In fact, fundamentally pitching Arcee as an Autobot Marvel era Galvatron seems more and more satisfying, especially after the latter's slightly low key showing in Devestation. It's nice to have a 'bot that seems genuinely dangerous, because it makes good the promise to shift the tone of Transformers from Good vs Bad to something more like a war, with dubious figures on either side.

There was some nice writing from Furman too - Ultra Magnus' reiteration of his status and, dare I say it, catchphrase, has to be one of my favourite Furman moments, of any series. The combaticons entrance marred the feeling slightly - the wordplay amidst what should have felt like a high intensity raid seemed, frankly, bizarre. Still, a nice job.

The enclosure and subsequent rebuilding of Arcee stands out as a highlight for me, handled really well by both writer and artist - it's nice to see them really playing with the idea of the Transformers having a different physiology from other species, and not just putting them behind idiot iron bars or in a room with a big door saying "worning dont com inheer".

A few points - I presume Banzaitron has grander designs for Monstructor's technology than just having a massive mentalist in his Secret Service. Otherwise, I can't see it being very secret for long. Also hoping the technobots stay down, or at least don't become the generic autobot cannon fodder squad of choice. Still, it could be like one of those jokes that gets funnier the more you say it, after half an hour of people finding it irritating. Finally, I'm hoping for a collectable Top Trumps card game series based on the inmate pictures on Max's screen mid-issue. Dunno, they'd surely have to do SOMETHING to pass the time on Garrus 9.

Halfshell
2008-03-07, 02:01 PM
Mmm, the more I read it the more I like it.

There's a lot of really good character work in there. Magnus, as stated. Jetfire's "really, what's the worst that can happen" attitude at the end, and the set-up of "what exactly are they going to tell Prime?"

The Combaticon entrance is more marvellous the more I see it... the dirty art really works well for their designs. And one line of dialogue each manages to capture pretty much exactly who they are (Onslaught - always organising, completely unflappable; Brawl - full of gusto but easy to panic; Vortex - a cocky little shit).

What with the Magnificence and now the combiner tech, I think Banzaitron's more interested in knowledge and resources than putting them to use... like one of those insane collectors who has a vault full of rare and interesting things, solely for the sake of nobody else having them.

I wonder how many (if any) of the current inmates will be recruited as reinforcements when Oppy P arrives.

Gotta love the cast diversity we'll have when he does turn up. Prime, Prowl, Hardhead, Nightbeat, Hound, Skram, Road Rocket, Kick-Off and other random Actionmasters... hoo ha!

And kudos to Max's big plan of releasing Arcee. She stabs Blast-Off, rams into Brawl and subsequently frightens them all into a quick getaway. Likely would have stood a better chance prolonging the fight. La de da.

inflatable dalek
2008-03-07, 02:46 PM
Gotta love the cast diversity we'll have when he does turn up. Prime, Prowl, Hardhead, Nightbeat, Hound, Skram, Road Rocket, Kick-Off and other random Actionmasters... hoo ha!

If Kick-Off survived, by no means 100% certain.

And kudos to Max's big plan of releasing Arcee. She stabs Blast-Off, rams into Brawl and subsequently frightens them all into a quick getaway. Likely would have stood a better chance prolonging the fight. La de da.

Did it strike anyone else that his plan just seemed a cunning way for him to avoid doing any actual fighting? "Yeah, you guys go hold the front line to the last man. I'm just popping upstairs to release one of our more borderline psychotic prisoners to help out". It doesn't help that he doesn't actually bother to show up at the battle till just before the Combaticons bugger off...

Having ploughed through it a few more times it does improve with each reading- To me it levels out as a average issue (though the entire prison break is riddled with plot silliness and laziness. Not to mention the PM's are rescued because the Autobots are a bit crap rather than the Combaticons being really good) but still hampered by the bloody awful art and the fact it isn't really a "Spotlight" at all, you could actually do the bulk of the issue perfectly well without Arcee.

wolfbolt86
2008-03-08, 01:23 AM
Liked what i saw.
Anybody have any ideas as to what maximus transformers into?
I didn't think the coloring lessen the story, and thought that the combaticons' part was the best. Does anyone have any idea where Spotlight Blaster falls in? I think Arcee falls in either before Devastation 5 or during it.

zigzagger
2008-03-08, 02:30 AM
Does anyone have any idea where Spotlight Blaster falls in? I think Arcee falls in either before Devastation 5 or during it.
Blaster's Spotlight, more or less, is self contained. Meaning, it has yet to be revealed what affects it has on the main arc....yet. Present time sequences in the story have been open to speculation. Some believe it took place prior around Devastation, while others have thought it occurred before that.

wolfbolt86
2008-03-08, 03:19 AM
Thanks zigzagger.
Looking back through the issues, it looks like devastation takes place in a few hours. So Arcee has to either have taken place at least a fews hours before or at least a day. the Monstructor team has a high priority and would want to know the lattest details. With that in mind, Prime would want at least a weekly or daily up date. Big news like this would have to be relayed to him pronto.

Denyer
2008-03-08, 04:08 AM
Having ploughed through it a few more times it does improve with each reading-

Think you've been somewhat harsh, TBH. This is the first Milne book with generally criticised art I haven't had any trouble following... well, the second, but Sixshot was a series of blocks in static poses and I liked Nightbeat for the most part... and Furman's tied together a fair number of plot points, developed the Autobot judicial system, introduced an array of characters, and not ****ed up the concept of 'female' robots in this continuity.

zigzagger
2008-03-08, 04:16 AM
Think you've been somewhat harsh, TBH. This is the first Milne book I haven't had any trouble following... well, the second, but Sixshot was a series of blocks in static poses... and Furman's tied together a fair number of plot points, developed the Autobot judicial system, introduced an array of characters, and not ****ed up the concept of 'female' robots in this continuity.

Or at least acknowledged it. You know, there's a simple solution to this concern. Write a second review for the issue, seeing as you have expressed your disagreement with Dalek on this matter more than once.

Denyer
2008-03-08, 04:27 AM
Will start current series reviews if and when I finish off The Gathering, but there's about a million other things to do...

inflatable dalek
2008-03-08, 11:25 AM
Liked what i saw.
Anybody have any ideas as to what maximus transformers into?

The back seems at least partially inspired by Armada Megs, so some sort of honking big tank seems most likely.

Does anyone have any idea where Spotlight Blaster falls in? I think Arcee falls in either before Devastation 5 or during it.

Between the destruction of Ark 19 in issue 1- Where Prime looses any contact with the outside Universe- And him re-establishing that contact to be told about the prison break in issue 5.

Think you've been somewhat harsh, TBH. This is the first Milne book I haven't had any trouble following... well, the second, but Sixshot was a series of blocks in static poses...

His work for DW was fine, but all his IDW stuff has been crap. The best he's done for the new company is the Movie Adaptation, which at least flows properly even if it isn't gosh darn wow stuff. He didn't do Sixshot though did he? Wasn't that Mr. Micromaster Man?

and Furman's tied together a fair number of plot points, developed the Autobot judicial system, introduced an array of characters, and not ****ed up the concept of 'female' robots in this continuity.

The overall arc is handled well, but the actual plot of the issue is riddled with stupid plot holes. It would seem to be intended as a big dumb action movie where you look at the pretty pictures but don't think so hard about the plot. But when the pictures aint pity it's ****ed...

Halfshell
2008-03-08, 12:19 PM
Yeah, Sixshot was Rob Ruffalo.

Present time sequences in the story have been open to speculation. Some believe it took place prior to Devastation, while others have thought it occurred before that.

Well, Spotlight Galvatron takes place pretty much concurrently to Spotlight Optimus (Sideswipe tries to get hold of Prime whilst he's not there), which ends with the Pretender Monsters being taken into Jetfire's custody. Devastation likely starts not long after Prime returns to Earth (I can't see Sideswipe waiting a week after OP gets home before shouting at him, cf Dev 1)... likely he's just gotten back.

That doesn't really leave a hell of a lot of time for Arcee to happen prior to Devastation. From Fort Max's comments about "how soon [he] can have" them, I'd guess the prisoners hadn't been there long at all. I read it as impatience at wanting the new arrivals locked up asap, rather than somebody who's had them kicking about a while and is bored of it.

Obviously the Arcee prelude is "in teh past", but I'd say that the Combaticons' attack happens pretty much concurrently with Devastation, meaning Prime gets Fort Max's message "as live" in issue 5. Bearing in mind the nature of the distress call and that Prime said they were the "nearest available", it's not the sort of thing that would have been lying around a few days. They're bailing on Earth because they need to right now, not because of something that happened a day or so ago.

So, Prime hands the PMs to Jetfire. Ark-27 takes them to Garrus-9 where the science bods start trying to work their mojo, Dealer finds out whilst they're in transit and leaks the info, Prime gets back to Earth, Devastation commences early the next Earth morning, during which time Banzaitron attacks.

A lot depends on the viewscreen Prime was looking at in #5 before saying they were leaving. If he was having an actual two-way convo about the J-man (as opposed to viewing a pre-record), I'd say he definitely picked the signal up "as live", seeing as he proabably wouldn't check his messages then start making research calls if one of his voicemails was from G9.

Either way, I'd say the jailbreak definitely happens simultaneously with the first half of Devastation. Max sends his message any earlier to Sixshot's attack on Ark-19 (bear in mind he specifies sub-light transit distance, so assuming the state of tech comms, they'd get it straight away) and they would have gotten it then. It's any point between Ark-19 being shot down and Prime returning to Ark-32. Which is... what? An hour at most?

Aha. Three hours. Hot Rod says to Wheeljack at the beginning of Dev 2 that they've got three hours to save Ironhide. Bear in mind that them breaking into the scrapyard bought them probably about fifteen minutes whilst the owner called the cops... that's plenty of time for the attack on G-9 to occur in.

Denyer
2008-03-08, 03:45 PM
Ruffolo. Don't know why everyone keep switching for an 'a'...
He didn't do Sixshot though did he? Wasn't that Mr. Micromaster Man?

Yeah, "Milne" in that sentence should've been replaced with something like "book with generally slated art"; keep forgetting that those aren't entirely synonymous...

Halfshell
2008-03-08, 04:01 PM
Ruffolo. Don't know why everyone keep switching for an 'a'...

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0749263/

zigzagger
2008-03-08, 10:40 PM
........Devastation likely starts not long after Prime returns to Earth (I can't see Sideswipe waiting a week after OP gets home before shouting at him, cf Dev 1)... likely he's just gotten back......

..........That doesn't really leave a hell of a lot of time for Arcee to happen prior to Devastation................

Plenty of other stuff too

That's impressive, contributes plenty to the discussion.
But I was answering wolfbolt86's question regarding when Spotlight: Blaster took place.

Halfshell
2008-03-09, 12:13 PM
But I was answering wolfbolt86's question regarding when Spotlight: Blaster took place.

Ah right. That's what I initially thought, but I got confused... being as prior to Devastation and before Devastation are sort of the same thing, hrm? So what you said only made sense to me if you were talking about Arcee, seeing as wolfbot86 seemed to be querying both (albeit indirectly on the latter).

Pretend I never posted. :(

zigzagger
2008-03-09, 12:21 PM
Damn it. I keep doing that (somehow mixing up the the other persons post with mine)

Ah right. That's what I initially thought, but I got confused... being as prior to Devastation and before Devastation are sort of the same thing, hrm?

Oh, oops, that's a typo. Brain was obviously thinking something different than what I was typing.

But what you added was useful too.

Halfshell
2008-03-09, 01:32 PM
But what you added was useful too.

Like I read anything dalek posts...

Spotlight Blaster happens prior to Stormbringer as far as I'm concerned. Furmo made his jokey little "please let me off the error" comment about that not being Blaster, but there's nothing in the Spotlight to place it after that mini... so until proven otherwise I'm sticking with my placement.

zigzagger
2008-03-09, 01:36 PM
Spotlight Blaster happens prior to Stormbringer as far as I'm concerned. Furmo made his jokey little "please let me off the error" comment about that not being Blaster, but there's nothing in the Spotlight to place it after that mini... so until proven otherwise I'm sticking with my placement.
That's feasible. It kind of sort of works with Silverbolt's cameo in Escalation #1, even if he doesn't say anything that pertains to Spotlight: Blaster. But hey, why not.

Yeah, I got nothing.

Starfield
2008-03-19, 04:01 AM
Suppose Jhiaxus decided to introduce gender into Transformers by making Prowl male instead of making Arcee female. How would Prowl be different (besides getting an extra pair of ball bearings)?

Actually Prowl wouldn't be much different, because Prowl was given male characterization by the various creators of fiction. Pretty much all Transformers have been given male characterization*. They are males. It would probably be impossible for a human writer to create genderless characters that human readers would find interesting.

Anyway, that's just my way of saying Transformer gender shouldn't really be as big a deal as it is made out to be. Most Transformers have noses for what is probably no good reason other than relating to human readers, why not gender?

I can see why Arcee would be angry about getting turned into a fembot, but I don't think that totally explains why she turned into a raging psychopath. Maybe that has more to do with her Nega-Core? :\

*With the possible exception of Shockwave, who isn't supposed to have much of a personality. A walking computer. He's cool because he contrasts with the others, but who would read a comic populated by all Shockwaves? Nobody.

Speaking of Shockwave, check out his Nick Roche Spotlight cover (http://images.wikia.com/transformers/images/3/3c/Spotlight_Shockwave_b.jpg) again. He looks a little girly in that picture, if you ask me. (But don't tell him I said so. :) )

Denyer
2008-03-19, 04:17 AM
There's a fairly good chance Furman is taking the piss to some extent. It wouldn't be the first time...

inflatable dalek
2008-03-19, 09:54 AM
I can think of at least two women I know I would describe as "Prowl like", including my own Mother, who as far as I'm aware is not a man. Plus Arcee doesn't really show any stock cliché female traints here. Well, unless you consider being a badarse boarderline psychopath killer a typical female trait. Whatever it is that makes Arcee female certainly isn't her personality. Perhaps thankfully the comic doesn't go into to many details of what it is that does...

zigzagger
2008-03-19, 12:23 PM
Whatever it is that makes Arcee female certainly isn't her personality. Perhaps thankfully the comic doesn't go into to many details of what it is that does...

Well, she's pink, silly. Everyone knows that ALL women have a natural affinity to the colour pink or magenta. Surely that should be enough ;) Well, of course, you'd have to bar Ratbat, Roller Force, most of the Seacons, Skullcruncher, Sparkstalker, Spinster, Submarauder, Misfire, Cindersaur, Iguanus to mention just a few. Those are just exceptions to the rule...oh, and about 70% of the Decepticon forces too, them being so pretty coloured and all.

Starfield
2008-03-19, 02:37 PM
There's a fairly good chance Furman is taking the piss to some extent. It wouldn't be the first time...I had to google "taking the piss," but I gotcha now.

inflatable dalek
2008-03-19, 06:52 PM
oh, and about 70% of the Decepticon forces too, them being so pretty coloured and all.

No wonder the Decepticons always lose. Big bunch of girls who can't throw properly.

starlord
2008-03-26, 04:42 AM
Poor Arcee. Of course, it could have been worst.Instead of a boy bot being made a girl,it could have been a femmebot made into a boy.Now that would have been awful.

zigzagger
2008-03-26, 06:22 AM
Of course, it could have been worst.Instead of a boy bot being made a girl,it could have been a femmebot made into a boy.Now that would have been awful.
I would imagine a change such as that either way would have been unpleasant for the individual, since it was not a voluntary choice.

inflatable dalek
2008-03-26, 09:16 AM
Arcee wasn't a boy before.

zigzagger
2008-03-26, 10:49 AM
Arcee wasn't a boy before.
I said he was a boy?

inflatable dalek
2008-03-26, 10:53 AM
I said he was a boy?

I was refering to Starlord's salient point. Yes I know, quotes and all that...

Cyberman
2008-03-26, 11:23 AM
Poor Arcee. Of course, it could have been worst.Instead of a boy bot being made a girl,it could have been a femmebot made into a boy.Now that would have been awful.

I know I shouldn't ask, but - WTF?

How would going from male to female be any less traumatic than female to male? Either way, it would mean almost complete destruction of your identity.