PDA

View Full Version : [Original RPG] Hardest character that you've played?

Blackjack
2008-10-04, 05:19 PM
who's the hardest character you've played before and why?

For me, it's tough playing Dead End and getting his suicidal monologue going on.

Broadside's complaining nature isn't a picnic either.

One of the toughest character would be Misfire. A loser who aspires to be a warrior. But I've grown to like him... And it's easy to play him now.

Warcry
2008-10-07, 04:40 AM
Optimus Prime was a major challenge to get right, at least for me. There are just so many layers to the character that striking the right balance between is almost impossible.

Astrotrain was hard too, because I took him over from a long time player/staff member who had developed him into someone who was very, very different from the character we see in official media.

zigzagger
2008-10-07, 05:16 AM
Let's see here. Initially, Ratchet was difficult for me to get down when I first started to play him back in the Kalis/Reclamation thread. When I started playing around with him, he was a bit too...Beachcomber-ish too my liking, and as a result, lost some the character's more notable qualities. Yes, he needed to be compassionate, but he also needed to be outspoken and come across as very competent, at least in what he does. The Marvel and IDW incarnations of the character have always been a point of reference for me (the cartoon really didn't give much to work with). I wanted him to be distinctly and recognisably Ratchet, and it has taken me a while to perfect him to where I was at least satisfied with the character. And actually, a lot of the earlier pacifist characteristics I used on Ratchet back in the day simply got transferred over to Groove - where it suits the character perfectly, in my opinion.

Red Alert has also been a tough one for me to tackle. Though I abandoned the cartoon's more nuttier incarnation, I wanted to follow his Universe and Tech Spec profiles as a personality that is totally obsessed with details. Every time I've tried to do this, he comes across as...insufferable, just plain whiny and kind of unpleasant. Even during moments when I’ve had him interact with Prowl, where you’d think it would be comedy gold, it almost always ended up being a bitch fest. This is not what I had in mind for the character (i.e. being unlikable).

Optimus Prime was a major challenge to get right, at least for me. There are just so many layers to the character that striking the right balance between is almost impossible.

Agreed. I've only made one post with him (at this point) and have had some difficulty finding the right balance for him. I want to respect what other players have done for him in the past, but I also like his comic incarnations as well. But then, his comic incarnations vary greatly too. We have the charismatic but flawed, yet a very competent leader for the later Marvel G1 and the G2 comics. And then there's the IDW version, who's rather militaristic and doesn't seem nearly as compassionate in contrast to his past selves. The angle I'm trying to shoot for here is use elements from both IDW Prime's militaristic approach, minus the whole "I'm impartial to everything" angle, mixed with Prime's more flawed and charismatic persona from the later Marvel version.

It's a tough act to follow.

Blackjack
2008-10-07, 06:13 AM
Some more: The Insecticons... Shrapnel is easy enough, but Kickback and Bombshell, who likes only to break down enemies mentally, are bloody hard to play. That's the main reason I did not hang on to Kickback.

Road Hugger was hard initially, to find the brash rebellious side without turning him into Starscream, while being clever enough without turning into a carbon copy of Blackjack. Still trying to find a balance.

Cosmos has to be uber-friendly, which I'm getting used to.

Misfire is the hardest when I started playing him--a guy who tries very very hard to be a sharpshooter, yet has a lousy aim no matter how hard he tries. Aimless, his partner doesn't help either. Now, however, I have made my own version of Misfire--he's a decent shooter, but only because he still uses Aimless. His practice has paid off, etc etc.

Blackjack's strategic and professional way of talking need some time getting used to as well.

wyze2099
2008-10-07, 10:17 PM
I've only recently begun playing my characters here, but I find them challenging, for the following reasons.

Arcee - As the token 'girl' of the franchise, her characterization as a female has been all over the spectrum. At one end, she was just there to be a romantic interest -- and worse, a secretary (in the Headmasters anime). At the other end, she was a one-note war/vengeance machine (in the IDW comics). I wanted Arcee to be somewhere in the middle of that spectrum. Kind of like her G1 portrayal, appropriately enough, but a bit tougher, as if she's been through a lot in the years since G1. And I like the IDW redesign; the fact that IDW!Arcee was shown on her RPG wiki page was a nice bit of serendipity.

So basically, I want a tough, caring, spunky, emotional Arcee that doesn't fall into the same traps some of her other incarnations have. I want her to be a character, not a stereotype.

Punch - I just started playing him today. The challenge of playing him is to explore the idea of a double agent who doesn't want to be one because he's terrified of his dark side, without making him too emo. And I'm sure Counterpunch will be challenging to write as a separate persona.

I'm really interested in two questions:

What does he do if he becomes stuck in Counterpunch mode and can't become Punch again?

and

Is Counterpunch really another personality, or is Punch just being overly paranoid about his deep-cover alias?

Good thing I like creative challenges.

Warcry
2008-10-08, 03:15 AM
Red Alert has also been a tough one for me to tackle. Though I abandoned the cartoon's more nuttier incarnation, I wanted to follow his Universe and Tech Spec profiles as a personality that is totally obsessed with details. Every time I've tried to do this, he comes across as...insufferable, just plain whiny and kind of unpleasant. Even during moments when Ive had him interact with Prowl, where youd think it would be comedy gold, it almost always ended up being a bitch fest. This is not what I had in mind for the character (i.e. being unlikable).
[pointless digression]
Back when I played Red Alert, I livened him up by constantly having him take notes on every slightly suspicious thing his fellow Autobots did. Also, he pistol-whipped Whirl once and almost got killed for it. Good times.
[/pointless digression]

Red can be very hard to play, though. If you play up the paranoia and obsession too much he becomes useless, but if you don't he can, yeah, end up being pretty unlikable (one of the reasons I eventually dropped him).

Optimist Prime
2008-10-08, 04:55 AM
I'm finding it an interesting challenge to write dialogue for Sludge. I tend to be a bit verbose when I write, so to simplfy it to a 4 out of 10 intelligence level for Sludge is a bit tough. I'm sure I must be at least intelligence 5. ;)

zigzagger
2008-10-08, 05:41 AM
Red can be very hard to play, though. If you play up the paranoia and obsession too much he becomes useless, but if you don't he can, yeah, end up being pretty unlikable (one of the reasons I eventually dropped him).

Exactly. The whole Red Alert/Prowl rivalry-thing just didn't go according to plan either, where I thought I could utilize this unique character trait. And like you said, Red just came across as completely unlikable...and ****ing annoying at times too.

Intially, Red Alert was set up as a mere plot-device, serving as one of the main reasons why Hot Spot was pressured into discharging Blades from the ISS (yes, I had all sorts of ideas in mind for Blades since the begining).

Then I got my mits on Prowl

So, my thoughts then were, okay, here's two characters that have their own ways of doing things. Red Alert, who I had operating as a security director for the ISS, who stubbornly follows his own protocol, and then there's Prowl - a walking dictionary of Autobot convention, and who takes his work a bit too seriously at moments. Basically, I had Prowl, who wasn't happy with how the ISS was operating, come along and say "No Red, you're doing this wrong" and proceeded to tell Red how to do his job. Resentments came shortly after.

However, I got to the point to whenever Prowl would utter a single word, Red Alert would fearlessly protest. It got so bad to where that's all I had Red do, and I was unable to figure out a way resolve this petty rivalry between to the two. Though I kind of enjoyed having Prowl put Red in his place on several occasions, it became the premise to Red's character. Thus, I kind of stumped myself.

Chip1123
2008-10-08, 07:33 PM
I have mixed feelings on some of my characters. It's hard to keep focus on how certain characters would respond, especially if they don't have established backgrounds. I have several G2 characters with not much to go on.

For example - Turbofire. I had a HARD time getting in the mindset for him, but finally think I've gotten a good grasp on him, and how I'd like to continue from here - Making him a simplistic worker. Not necessarily dumb, although definitely not smart.

Considering one of my characters, Highbrow, likes to think of himself as a genius, it is a big contrast I catch myself using Highbrow's mannerisms on other characters sometimes, and the think- this person wouldn't phrase it like that. Highbrow - he tries to sound important and intellectual. While he is smart, he's no Perceptor, and he definitely tries to impress others with his vocabulary.

i am currently loving playing Ironfist. Since he had almost nothing to go with, I made him into a Rosarch type character (from The Watchmen - which I just read). Very brutal, cunnning, and self-assured. Doesn't like company, but will accept it as a means to an end. Very fun so far.

13thScorpio
2008-10-09, 05:19 AM
Well....I'm semi-estiblished with mine(at least I think I've found a groove for them),Pipeline may become one of the hardest ones to do.An Autobot with a suite much akin to Patrician Ventinari is going to be a challenge.Gusher just builds,orders and fights,can't ask for anything better then those with simple tastes.

The Millitary Patrol,may or may not be being played according to how Aero originally did it.Growl may be too stupid for his own good.Bombshock and Dropshot may be a bit off,but their still willing to fight.Nice to play the psychos...

Then Flamefeather and Cindersaur.They just exist to burn things.May become a challenge later on,but for now,thier fun.Co-operation and not trying to turn a fellow army member into slag may be kind of hard.But still fun. :D

Blackjack
2008-10-09, 05:34 AM
Oooo.... Make the Firecons burn Dead End! BUUUUUUUUUURRNN...

Seriously, getting the right mindset about D.E. is a bit hard, to say the least. While others I get used to because of their personas... i.e. Detour is a coward, Blackjack is a schemer loyal to Megatron, Hyperdrive is a thug, Shrapnel is a maniac warrior etc. Dead End and Bombshell, despite having pre-defined personas, prove to be the most challenging.

wyze2099
2008-10-09, 04:31 PM
Regarding the Red Alert thing, mind if I offer a suggestion (for what it's worth, considering I've never played the character)?

The pitfall with a lot of TF characters is making them one-note characters because their personality traits are so specific. As I'm allergic to one-note characters, I like to find things that would bring out different facets in their personality.

If a given character is, say, constantly angry: what would make him happy?
If he has a sunny disposition: what pisses him off?
If he's typically unintelligent: is there an area where he's a genius?
If he is known for his sense of humor, what makes him put on a serious face?
If he's tightly-wound like Red Alert or Prowl: is there any thing he implicitly trusts, or anything that will cause him to relax?

Basically, what's other side of a character's personality coin, and what would it take to show that side? Not necessary do a complete flip to that other side -- Red Alert probably wouldn't work with a "meh..." attitude -- but show hints of it in certain situations so there's a counterbalance to his more obnoxious behavior.

I dunno if any of that helps, but maybe it's something to think about?

zigzagger
2008-10-18, 05:28 AM
Misfire is the hardest when I started playing him--a guy who tries very very hard to be a sharpshooter, yet has a lousy aim no matter how hard he tries. Aimless, his partner doesn't help either. Now, however, I have made my own version of Misfire--he's a decent shooter, but only because he still uses Aimless. His practice has paid off, etc etc.

Don't blame you really. I'm mean, think about it, here's a character that belonged to a group called "Targetmasters" (implying he handles firearms), and yet holds a name and profile(s) that purposefully contradicts this role, implying that he's a comedy relief type character. Though it's easy to come up with some great, if not humorous, ways to approach the character, it does kind of limit other possibilities, such as allowing the character to grow and improve with time. I definitely believe there's more to him other than being a goof.

[EDIT]: Ooo, almost missed this one.

Regarding the Red Alert thing, mind if I offer a suggestion (for what it's worth, considering I've never played the character)?

The pitfall with a lot of TF characters is making them one-note characters because their personality traits are so specific. As I'm allergic to one-note characters, I like to find things that would bring out different facets in their personality.

If a given character is, say, constantly angry: what would make him happy?
If he has a sunny disposition: what pisses him off?
If he's typically unintelligent: is there an area where he's a genius?
If he is known for his sense of humor, what makes him put on a serious face?
If he's tightly-wound like Red Alert or Prowl: is there any thing he implicitly trusts, or anything that will cause him to relax?

Basically, what's other side of a character's personality coin, and what would it take to show that side? Not necessary do a complete flip to that other side -- Red Alert probably wouldn't work with a "meh..." attitude -- but show hints of it in certain situations so there's a counterbalance to his more obnoxious behavior.

I dunno if any of that helps, but maybe it's something to think about?

Oh, trust me, finding a counter-balance is something that I have explored/considered from time to time. Quite honestly, with Red it's all about having the motivation and interest to explore these angles more effectively, really. Simply haven't had the opportunity to do so yet. And, yeah, I am certainly not one to limit a character to what has already been established according to (ack) canon, as I agree, it adds limitations to the character. I just simply use it as a template, then expand off it and go places with it rarely explored, while keeping in mind how that character will respond to new/unfamiliar situations. Characters like Blades, Ratchet and Banzaitron, I feel, have developed nicely into multi-faceted individuals because of this. :)

Heinrad
2008-10-21, 06:02 AM
To be honest, I find Stepper kind of hard to write for, mainly because of his character traits. Given how hair trigger his temper is, literally anything could set him off at anybody, be they Autobot or Decepticon.

Bludgoen can be hard at times, too, mainly because I can never decide if he should always be formal or not.

Blaster
2008-10-24, 06:17 PM
All the characters I've ever picked I've picked because they had a personality trait I could do.

The hardest thing to play was actually switching Sunstreaker from Autobot to Decepticon/Unaffiliated Mercenary. Not hard because playing the switch was difficult, but the fact I was pushing it through with staff pushing back.

Blackjack
2008-10-25, 10:45 AM
Somehow fanmade characters are the easiest to play, although it may come as no surprise. We made them, for starters. However, my fanmades are generally generic 'hi-then-die'.

Except for Steelshredder. Although I introduced him alongside Rummage and Windsplitter as cannon fodder, somehow he's still here now. And Hailstorm is just a little distraction for me.

One that never gave me trouble: Searchlight. He's a paranoid, but not to the extent of Red Alert. I kinda like the little bugger now. Maybe there's a chance for him to be revived, now that Powerflash's going all nutty with Searchlight's head... Fear the Headless Throttlebot...

Lord Zarak
2008-10-31, 03:44 PM
Ive only ever played one character for a prolonged period of time, and that is Shockwave.

When i first picked him up, i played him as straight and as cold as i originally percieved him to be, as i had read the marvel characterisation of him.

But as time progressed, the challenge i had was to keep him straight, but to open him up. For instance, he has patience, so when writing in character, you had to write in a patient manner. Like a game of chess, he saw so many steps ahead, so you have to too.

Sixswitch
2008-11-19, 04:26 PM
Windrazor I think. He was my first 'command' level character for a loooong time, and it was really hard getting back into that groove.

Sixswitch (my fanmade) was tricky too, towards the end - I kept thinking that he should be doing more than he was. I should have just learned to accept that he was a follower rather than a leader, and just enjoyed that.

-Ss

wyze2099
2008-12-03, 05:19 PM
I almost fell into a potential pitfall when playing Moonracer. Upon watching "The Search for Alpha Trion" on YouTube, I noticed that Moonracer kind of sounded as if she were wearing braces, becauthe the thounded like thith. It wath thubtle, but it wath there.

I actually considered typing out her dialougue like that, but I decided not to bother, because it would make her difficult to understand when the lisp isn't even that noticeable. Tho now I jutht imagine the thounth like thith.

zigzagger
2009-07-22, 01:21 AM
Yay! Necroposting! Well, sort of...there's that "Easiest Character..." thread that's currently happening, and I felt inspired.

So, my newest entry for the "Hardest Character Evah" is Cerebros/Fortress Maximus. What a paradox, that one; he's supposedly a competent military commander as well as a diehard pacifist. It's a tough balance to master. I can't have him too peaceful lest he come across like Groove, and I can't make him too battle-hardened lest he come across as...as...well, a lot of Autobots, really. Did I mention that the peace-mongering Cerebros combines with a large, hulking transtector that has, what, twenty-odd guns strapped to it?

Warcry
2009-07-22, 03:49 AM
Oh hell yes, Fort Max can be a bitch to play. It doesn't help that there are three equally-prominent portrayals of him from Rebirth, Headmasters and the Marvel comics, all of which are diametrically opposed to the others.

Airazor
2009-07-22, 10:39 AM
Hardest? That would be Jackpot, really. For Blurr and Blitzwing, I had the advantage of working on Blackjack and zigzagger's former work, while Cliffjumper is just easy to play.

Skyjack I liked, and it's easy to write him. Jackpot's hard. How do you control luck in prose?

Springer85
2009-07-22, 05:48 PM
Springer is a pretty hard character to do. Especially since I want to respect the work that SCSW put into it. On top of that, I want to give the character my personal touch too. I think I'm doing good so far :)

Pointblank is also a pretty interesting character to me. Especially because he feels that what he does has no impact. I can go all kinds of ways with that. Right now I want to give him a little more of an militairistic edge. Eventually I want him do something that does have impact or results to something. Usually that means dying lol, but I don't want that :p

Blackjack
2009-10-21, 11:59 AM
Hmmm... after trying out new characters (this thread had been here a looong time, didn't it? Steelshredder... ah, happy times. his death scene was a little pathetic, though), I've seen some more harder characters. Not hard per se, but simply hard to write for.

Skullgrin ranks top on my list. When I first got him, it was rather fun to have Barricade someone to talk to. But now... I just can't find anything interesting to say for him anymore. The only reason he's on my NPC roster is that it's rude to drop a character on a mission.

Whirl is hard as well. The hardest characters for me is when someone played them brilliantly in the past (in this case Warcry) and my posts just don't have that feel that Warcry's Whirl has. However, give me time. Whirl haven't killed anyone yet... that bugs me. C'mon guys... any idea what the Wreckers can fool around with?

Repugnus and Scorponok are two of my favourite characters, and are hard to write in a fun way. I do intend on keeping them around, though. I keep a balance on 'disgusting, vile monster' and 'happy killing machine with a sense of honour' for Repugnus. I like to think that the happy killing machine is what he shows to his comrades, but deep down he has the monstrous need to kill and maim and all that. Scorponok's a bit hard to play as well. There are quite a few versions of him out there (the Rebirth, thankfully, didn't have much personalization and I haven't watched Headmasters yet.) but the ones that influence me the most is Marvel's doubt-ridden/honour-ridden Scorponok and IDW's James Bond villain type. Also, to keep him consistent with Reflector's and Warcry's interpretations of the character, Scorponok is always frowning. See, I do research! ;)

Road Hugger is starting to get hard to write, because I just can't feel his character. He's not a rebel anymore, but rather a plotter and thinker. How characters evolve when they get stuck on a neutral thread... at least Hyperdrive stays true to his psycho roots.

On the other side, Misfire and Blackjack aren't so hard to play anymore, thanks to months of experimenting. Misfire's more friendly and helpful, while Blackjack takes time to ruminate. It does help when he has a legion of disposable goons, though.