PDA

View Full Version : Maximum Dinobots #1-5/TPB

zigzagger
2008-12-06, 02:04 AM
Keep your fingers crossed, folks, because the Furmanverse is about to continue. This is your all purpose Maximum Dinobots #1 reaction and discussion thread.

Go. Do what you do.

Due to arrive on shelves December 10th.

EDIT
In the meantime, Chris Ryall has posted a 5-page preview to tide you over.
Go on...touch me. Now! (http://issuu.com/idwpublishing/docs/dinobots1/3?mode=embed&documentId=081205174008-9b8dd250aca94c05b435aafa3e0b8059&layout=grey)

Commander Shockwav
2008-12-10, 10:49 PM
Nice introductory issue that pretty much sets the stage.

Good to see some familiar faces back in play, and nice to have the Machination/Skywatch storyline continued.

Art was good. Not quite up to the lofty standards that Nick and Josh have set in the past, but still strong work.

Atrocious dialogue at the beginning was painful, with the ridiculous tossing of Furmanesque Earthen cliches and quips by the Dynobots, which apparently all talk and act the same. Surprise, surprise.

Thereafter though, I was into the story. Kind of a quick read though. Of course, introductory issues often are, so it's understandable.

A "B". Looking forward to the next issue. Glad Simon is back playing in his sandbox.

Halfshell
2008-12-13, 03:30 PM
Oh look, a completely unobtrusive throwaway line of internal dialogue which cleanly and efficiently explains why a character looks different to the last time we saw them.

Lords of Kobol be praised, it's a miracle.

Liked the subtle cover for the giant robot testing area. JP font?

Liked Red's complete refusal to buy that everything's suddenly working.

Liked that Dante is only in the top half of the exosuit.

Presuming this is after Spotlight Doubledealer.

Love the Diaclone colour Sunstreakers.

White robots fighting a silver dinosaur in the snow... not the easiest page to follow. Fortunately it's carnage anyway, so completely incidental.

Points for the communications blackout. Both a sensible thing for Red to do, and a desperate attempt to cover for All Hail Megatron.

Pat's Flannel. A jab at somebody mayhaps?

Really liked the notion of Sunstreaker talking to himself via a holomatter Hunter.

Good Rochey art. Good Joshy colours. Especially after the last appearance for these characters.

Decent first-chapter fare. Sets up the major players, motivations, scenarios, and moves everything along at a faster pace than the first five issues of All Hail Megatron put together. Hell, stuff actually happened in this comic. Whilst promising more in the next one.

Does it get right everything that AHM is getting wrong? Quite possibly. Whilst still not being superb, thanks to the atrocious cliché dialogue in the flashback and Bond villian exposition from Dante. Is talking to yourself about things you already know a byproduct of the Headmaster process? Maybe.

Good to have the "A" team back... let's hope part 2 actually delivers what it promises.

Denyer
2008-12-16, 06:57 PM
Bit too heavy on the recap for my tastes. Lots of nice tidbits such as establishing the bulk of Dante's exo-skeleton, pre-TF toy refs, with generous helpings of Roche character... but no surprises. Eager for something to sink my teeth into at the moment.

Commander Shockwav
2008-12-18, 02:55 AM
Where's zagger's review? A bit late, no?

zigzagger
2008-12-18, 07:14 AM
Where's zagger's review? A bit late, no?

Haven't gotten it yet due to one, I got sick last week and never got around to ordering it because, two, all the shops in the town suddenly stopped carrying TF books a couple months ago (around AHM 3 and Revelation Part 4, if I recall).

zigzagger
2008-12-18, 08:41 PM
Okay, finally got myself a copy….

Decent issue, sets the stage quite nicely as one should expect, though it is a pity we spend about 8 pages of it recapping – but considering Devastation ended waaay back in February of ’08, and that Revelation really wasn’t a follow up to it, I’m really not at all bothered by it.

I may (or may not) be alone here, but I am really happy to see Hunter again. The token squishies have been tolerable, but Hunter has always been my favourite. Also great to see Autobot characters, you know, actually doing stuff. And speaking of modified squishies, Dante looks far younger than I remember him to be…and has broader shoulders and muscular arms. Does the Headmaster process also reverse aging? Still would’ve liked to see more Hot Rod, as AHM has left me feeling Hot Rod deficient. But if all goes according to plan, we’ll see plenty of him in the issues to come. And yes, the introductory dialogue was….stupid.

Another observation, though it is not quite as obvious just yet – there are few concurrent threads here, so it must be a Furman book. Luckily, this time around, they all seem to be interrelated, meaning the “good guys” are all after the same “bad guy”. So this may actually work out in the end, especially since many of the previous continuity threads have been resolved elsewhere. Luckily, so far, there is a nice balance here, and almost everyone gets the panel time they need. Almost. At least the character focus is placed where it needs to be - on Grimlock, Scorponok, and Hunstreaker.

As already mentioned here, for someone who has been following the stories for awhile now there were no big surprises here, but it has managed to at least pique my curiosity, meaning I actually want to read the next issue. Mainly because, well, stuff actually happens here. So, yeah, the stage is set now - hopefully Furman will give us a good show.

3.8 out of 5

Neuronutter
2008-12-19, 09:56 AM
I thoroughly enjoyed this issue. I hadn't realised how much I missed Furman's main ongoing and the characters in this book until I read this. The story was good, but very much introductory and I understand why this did this as they want a jumping on point for new readers. In this respect it worked well and hopefully we'll see a small jump in sales. The title of the book should get a broad appeal, though I can't help thinking they should've one some unique covers for the series like they have with AHM.

Artwise Roche out does himself. I really think this is some of the finest art Nick has produced for IDW, for example the panel showing TL's 2 to 5 after they've demonstrated Skywatch's control is impressive. Each Dino it superbly rendered and has a great amount of detail. The whole issues like that so Kudos to Nick. If the art's this good in the rest of the series then it should be a cracker.

Overall I can't wait for the next issue or to see what IDW have in store for the ongoing next year. What's after MD for Furman and Roche? Hopefully we'll know soon.

Halfshell
2008-12-19, 10:15 AM
Dante looks far younger than I remember him to be…and has broader shoulders and muscular arms. Does the Headmaster process also reverse aging?

Maybe that's the "new lease of life" that was referred to, way back when?

inflatable dalek
2008-12-19, 10:30 AM
I can Exclusively reveal that this is down to the Headmaster process creating a virile airborne disease that will slowly mutate the entire male population of Earth into the same appearance. This means that everyone looking the same in All Hail Megatron is in fact a cleaver and subtle link directly to the Furman material rather than being down to crap art.

zigzagger
2008-12-19, 01:52 PM
Maybe that's the "new lease of life" that was referred to, way back when?

Makes sense, I suppose. Yay, speculation time that'll probably add up to nothing in the end: perhaps somehow (maybe via nano mechs or something) the subjects undergoing the process are imbued with, erm, I don't know, advanced immune systems that allow all those metal parts to be surgically implanted, ala Wolverine (yeah, a rare moment from me - I made an obvious Marvel reference). Doesn't quite explain the youthfulness, but there you go.

Halfshell
2008-12-19, 02:15 PM
Electromagnetics having a positive effect on cell regeneration?

Remember that Scorponok's been bartering with alien cultures for decades (at the very least), so it's likely his grasp on human physiology is probably far better than ours. Enhancing antibodies is probably a piece of the proverbial.

zigzagger
2008-12-19, 02:52 PM
Electromagnetics having a positive effect on cell regeneration?

Remember that Scorponok's been bartering with alien cultures for decades (at the very least), so it's likely his grasp on human physiology is probably far better than ours. Enhancing antibodies is probably a piece of the proverbial.

Yep, that's probably what it is. This managed to slip past past me, but in Escalation #6 Scorponok, whom at this point is Shadowy Disembodied Mystery Head, comments on Hunter's progress and the "new healing accelerants". Pity this is the only time, I recall anyway, it has been mentioned.

Halfshell
2008-12-19, 02:59 PM
Pity this is the only time, I recall anyway, it has been mentioned.

This would be so much easier to follow if there weren't eight year gaps between each ****ing chapter...

inflatable dalek
2008-12-31, 05:15 PM
Bloody hell, IDW are doing a Smile Time adaptation... why?

As for my late views on MD1, thankfully the worst pages were in the preview. This really shows up how crap AHM is. It's a big dumb silly action comic with no pretense of redeeming featutes and is going to do it in just five issues. That's what the main book so badly wants to be.

Only real negative was Dante still being far to keen on explaining things to people who already know them (is he like that all the time the camera isn't on him?). Other than that, great. Don't screw this one up Furman.

And rather nicely, I have no idea who Grimlock has summoned for help (I can't recall seeing anyone on the covers who wouldn't already be on Earth).

Energon Hot Shot
2008-12-31, 08:38 PM
"For the right price" makes me think he contacted Swindle, but I'm not sure Grimlock would contact a decepticon for help. Then again, desperate times call for desperate measures. Two other possibilities I can think of are the Junkions/Wreck-Gar and the Quintessons.

zigzagger
2009-01-03, 11:07 PM
More Headmaster and Dinobot action coming at you. This is your all purpose Transformers Maximum Dinobots #2 reaction and discussion thread.

Go. Talk.

Due to arrive on shelves January 7th 2009.

starlord
2009-01-05, 07:10 AM
All right.Dinobot rule.

zigzagger
2009-01-10, 04:23 PM
A busy issue, if not feeling a teeny bit shoehorned, and a fairly welcome return to continuity. This is a tough one - though it’s not perfect, it was a fun, silly romp. Really, it’s everything I would expect from a story involving giant, robotic dinosaurs and an army of Headmasters. Yes, Scorponok continues his plunge into campy Bond villainy, even to the point of revealing his plan to Hot Rod – but you know what, it sort of suits the tone of the book. You know – fun. So, I’m not going to gripe about how Scorponok is depicted here (and in all honesty, I have the old Marvel books if I wish to reminisce). Grimlock saving the squishy from the burning diner, though uncharacteristic, was a nice moment, and I felt approaches the character in a way we haven’t seen for quite some time.

Then of course there are, what I felt anyway, the two big reveals – the Monsterbots (I’m pretty sure that’s them), and (finally) Shockwave. This is a good pay-off (even if it the latter was dragged on far too long than it needed to be). I must say, I am reeeeeally freakin’ anxious (or should I say hopeful) to see where Furman goes with Repugnus and company.

Maximum Dinobots thus far, I feel, reads like an 80’s comic book. Heavy on the exposition and the action scene discourses. It can be a bit too much at moments, but the occasional cheese is kind of charming in way. Still don't think Maximum Dinobots is an appropiate title considering everything that is happening here though.

3.5 out of 5

Terome
2009-01-10, 04:37 PM
I am in agreement with the Zigzagger on all points. I'm anticipating some kind of turnaround on Scorponok, but otherwise 'Bond movie' sums up this issue pretty nicely. I liked just about all of Grimlock's dialogue and the art was right up there in the stratosphere, despite a few puzzling scale-shifts throughout.

So hey, Slag shot a fellow Autobot in the back and ends up getting promoted? Perhaps the whole 'letting Arcee out of prison to do what she likes' move isn't so unprecedented. I'm presuming that Grimlock and Slag weren't spark-swiped during their stay in the brig. I think we also know more about this Slag right now than we know about any other Slag. Of interest is how the two of them -decided- to form the Dynobots group... I wonder if that's the norm among the units or if they're just special.

Anyone else find the Hunter / Sunstreaker mindsharing detective team quite appealing? I've also got an idle question as to whether the Dinobots have holo-matter projectors installed. Sure, they wouldn't bother to use them, but I wonder if that bit of kit didn't exist in their days.

Am similarly excited to see how the Monsterbots are handled. Could be that they are the 'modern day' Dynobots. Lucky that they happened to survive the intervening few thousand years but hey, that's Transformers.

Enjoyable!

zigzagger
2009-01-10, 06:42 PM
I think we also know more about this Slag right now than we know about any other Slag.

Pretty much, yeah. "The 4,000,000 Year Old Itch" is the only instance that I can really think of from the top of my head that expands on his character a little bit. It only comes to mind because I thought the cover-up in the above mentioned Marvel comic (UK obviously) was kind-of-sort-of reminiscent to the bit you mentioned. Well, sort of.

I thought Furman, some time ago, perhaps during the developmental stages of this book stated that each issue of MD would spotlight one of the individual Dinobots. I'll have to find that interview/statement to be sure, wherever it is. If that was the case, perhaps the segment with Slag is a remnant of that idea. Eh, probably not.

Terome
2009-01-10, 08:44 PM
I thought Furman, some time ago, perhaps during the developmental stages of this book stated that each issue of MD would spotlight one of the individual Dinobots. I'll have to find that interview/statement to be sure, wherever it is. If that was the case, perhaps the segment with Slag is a remnant of that idea.

I think it was in a Q & A somewhere... but I'd say it's fair to call this a Slag Spotlightette. He is on the cover and all.

I got the Four Million Year Itch feeling from this too, but I couldn't decide whether the story was improved or lessened by the absence of old school farce theatrics and 'Phew' takes.

I did find it a bit odd that Hot Rod just barged into the Machination HQ without any apparent plan. Seems inconsistent with the guy who sprang Dealer and who has access to a magic ball of See Everything. Unless it's a trick on his part. Actually, that seems pretty plausible. Never mind.

wolfbolt86
2009-01-11, 02:38 AM
Just got it today. Liked it, and did give us a better back story on how the unit was formed rather than the old comic one. Nothing really to grip about, since the art and the story was good.

Halfshell
2009-01-15, 01:06 PM
Grimlock was a bit too talky for my liking... downside of having to give all Slag's exposition by proxy. Wouldn't have minded if it wasn't in the middle of ACTION CARNAGE scenes.

Other than that, fabby cool.

There's something Right and Just and Fair about the notion Grimlock and Slag first met in the brig.

Denyer
2009-01-18, 10:42 PM
"Someone help! I'm cookin' in mah own diner!"

Bit late, had time for a quick skim when I got it, then things got hectic, then I got distracted...

Which isn't at all fair to the issue, which was excellent and highly enjoyable. Love how dynamic Nick's action scenes are, and the homage to Target: 2006's Galvatron/Magnus truck explosion was frotteuristic icing on the cake. Scorponok's dialogue going a touch British, ditto. It's all very busy without being unclear, and a far cry from the pacing of either the -Ations or AHM... almost as if Furman's thought "y'know what, f*ck it, retro and exposition it is." Can't say that's disappointing in any way, shape or form -- modern comics often seem too slow to me, and the Spotlights have been the most outright fun items in the line-up.

Throw in Shockwave, the promise of Monsterbots and in particular a character I've been looking to have panel time (in which he gets to be more than a cypher) since reading the bio as a kid, and I'm really, really looking forward to issues 3 through 5.

Auntie Slag
2009-01-18, 11:53 PM
Excellent fun. I love Grimlock's character design, but I'm not so hot on the others, especially Slag and Swoop. Has the artist decided to to give two levels of Dinobot height or is that just my misconception? Like, Sludge and Snarl look like the big cludgy bruisers, whilst Slag and Swoop are the more spindly guys.

Whatever the case I still enjoyed it immensely. It brought to mind memories of 'In the National Interest' and 'Wrath of Grimlock/Guardian' in that it's fun and zippy. I feel the same way about the 2007 movie, in that it got most things just right for me. The artwork confuses me at times when there's so much detail in a panel (some of the big melee scenes involving all the dinobots in a stupendous ruck = grey transformers melding together crashing through grey concrete.

My bitching aside, top. Scorponok is great. I love all his years of patience and testing only to end with a smile and a "oh well, win some, lose some" comment. (I always like it when someone gives a decepticon commander a hint of a lighter side amongst all the uber-seriousness of world domination).

The final page and the advert for the next issue was like the best teaser I've ever seen in a Transformers comic (I'm a Shockwave fan, at least from Marvel comic days and prior to 1989. After that he wen't all weird saying things like "Interrogative:" before a sentence). Oh, and he was great in his Spotlight too.

Excellent to see Hot Rod getting smacked about too, and with proper damage decals! Start the issue with beating, end it with the reader desperate for the next ish with the promise of Shockwave and fill the middle with lots of fun Dinobot stuff.

It didn't come with a winning lottery ticket though, so it goes from being better than anything in the world, to just a really great Transformers comic that everyone involved should feel dead proud of.

God, ass kissing or what?

inflatable dalek
2009-01-24, 05:54 PM
Pretty much what I thought of the first issue, after the disapointment of Revelation I'm pleased the ongoing plot bollocks is being pretty much sidelined in favour of big widescreen fun. Best characterisation of Grimlock for a while as well.

Bad points, well I suppose Furman's idea of how Texan's speak is a bit clichéd, but we can count that as fair revenge for Dick Van Dyke. I'm also not sure why Scorponok just doesn't turn to technobable inhibitors back on full after that idea fails.

And Scorponok is indeed very Bond villain in his actions, though at least this is basically acknowledged with the Goldfinger quote.[A book where the title character stages a disaster in a American town to allow him and his lackeys to rush in as "rescuers" as a cover for fiendish evil. I guess Scorponok has read Fleming as well (some of that's in the film, but very much downplayed and the entire "Doctor Goldfinger" sequence is absent)].

EDIT: And of course, Grimlock meeting Slag in the brig after the war started is another nail in the canon coffin of Origin.

wolfbolt86
2009-01-25, 08:40 PM
EDIT: And of course, Grimlock meeting Slag in the brig after the war started is another nail in the canon coffin of Origin.

I've been wondering about that since reading this issue. So is Origin out of canon for real or are parts of it still canon?

inflatable dalek
2009-01-25, 09:21 PM
I don't think there's been anything official (the "How about we remove MO from canon" thread at IDW seems to have been a jokey one, unless there have been more recent developments), but it does seem to be so. Though in the case of All Hail Megatron it's possibly not even intentional on the author's part, lets face it, there's not been much sign McCarthy has actually ever read any Transformer comics.

There are ways round it for those desperate to it in canon there are likely some contrived ways round both this and the AHM claim about the Matrix starting the war. But does anyone care enough to come up with them?

Halfshell
2009-01-26, 12:51 PM
I'm also not sure why Scorponok just doesn't turn to technobable inhibitors back on full after that idea fails.

Not sure they work that way. Once the core personality has reasserted itself, they probably can't up the dampeners whilst they're still conscious.

Like trying to get a vacuum packed mattress or something back into its container once it's been opened.

Dodgy technojargon analogies ahoy! I could so have written Star Trek.

zigzagger
2009-02-14, 12:15 AM
Well, after going through shipping schedules on various online sources, I'm getting the impression issue #3 may have been delayed.

However, Ryall assures us that everything is still in order (http://forum.idwpublishing.com/viewtopic.php?t=5433). Though, others seem to suggest otherwise. No confirmation either way.

Blackjack
2009-02-14, 06:19 AM
I've been wondering about that since reading this issue. So is Origin out of canon for real or are parts of it still canon?

Possibly Furman had not read Origin yet.

zigzagger
2009-02-15, 08:16 PM
If you have been following the title, then you know a certain tall, purple, gun-armed cyclops makes his dramatic return, along with the appearance of a certain trio. This is your all purpose Transformers: Maximum Dinobots #3 reaction and discussion thread.

Now, you run off and have fun.

Tentatively scheduled to arrive February 18th. It is still up in the air whether or not IDW titles will be shipped on schedule this week, but stay tuned for confirmation.

In the meantime, check out the 5-page preview @ Ryall Time (http://issuu.com/ryall/docs/dinobots3).

EDIT: Diamond (http://previewsworld.com/public/default.asp?t=2&m=1&c=6&s=428) confirms it is out this week.

StarscreamX
2009-02-20, 01:40 PM
Yes, the first post is mine! WOOT and such.

Pretty good issue, overal. In a way I'm glad that Furman is wrapping up the story arc this way rather than over the course of more "Ation" series, as the plot is moving along faster than it probably would have otherwise.

This is kind of a "middle Issue", with the stage being set for the final two but there's still some good stuff. Shockwave gets a great line and Agent Red's expression when Shockwave informs him of the damage he can do within 24 hours speaks volumes.

Sidebar: Humans in the IDW verse are really, REALLY stupid, aren't they? Agent Red tries to ontrol Lazerbeak and Ravage. He Fails. He tries to control Grimlock. He fails. The dynobots? He FAILS. Finally he says to Shockwave, okay you've got 24 hours to live unless you do as we say. And Shcokwave, of course, is having none of it. Really, making a mistake once or twice? Forgivable. After the FOURTH time, really, you have to despair.

We learn who the mysterious new arrivals to Earth are and, as was speculated, it's the Monsterbots. Who are, without a doubt, insane. Seriously, their freaking EATING people in this issue. Do robots even need to eat?

Scorponok's plans have gone bad in a catastrophic way and he handles it with dignity and grace. He orders Hot Rod killed. Fortunately (Or unfortunately, depending on how you feel about the character) Hot Rod escapes with a little trickery, only to collapse half dead from the beating Scorpy gave him. Great plan, Hot Rod.

And SunHunter has arrived at the Machination headquarters so it looks like he's about to have his big showdown with Scorponok.

Speculation time: I'm guessing Shockwave is going after Soundwave so Soundwave can hack into the human systems and transmit the reset code that Shockwave needs to shut down the bombs in his head. Guessing this storyline will explain how Soundwave fell under Megatron's command again (I can see him selling Shockers out to Megatron, given that he knows all about Shockwave's dodgy "Regenesis" project).

And the stars of the comic get some good interaction as Grimlock is confronted about how he betrayed them. Swoop, of all people, the guy with perhaps the flattest personality previously, gets a stand out moment as he confronts Grimlock about his actions and there's a nice "Big Damn Heroes" moment for the Monsterbots as well towards the comics end.

Overall, Four out of five for me.

zigzagger
2009-02-20, 11:19 PM
Much like the last issue, Furman shoehorns as much as he possibly can here. While the Dynobots remain in the forefront, Shockwave, who appears in only 3 ½ to 4 pages, really steals the show. Though, that may be in part due to the agonisingly long build-up surrounding the character. Even during his limited panel time, Shockwave really delivers. He just plain comes across as a genuine threat, giving off a vibe that, to me anyway, is evocative of the New Order Shockwave.

Scorponok, as to be expected, is diabolically campy. He’s just f**king fantastic. Hot Rod makes an amusing foil to him, laughing at him the whole way - Human Torch super powers aside.

This issue gives us insight into Swoop’s mind, the same treatment Slag received the issue prior. The doubts Swoop has towards his unit commander’s choices are explicable, considering all he has been through under Grimlock’s command. It offers a really neat spin on the Dinobots’ group dynamic. It also illustrates that this is definitely not the same Grimlock from previous incarnations, and that those that work under him are able to question his authority. My only quibble, as mentioned on other boards, is how quickly the Dynobots reunite after they abandon Grimlock in only five pages. Thus, the impact of Swoop's decision doesn’t carry great weight as most likely intended. Also, though this series is known for its excessive exposition and occasionally campy dialogue, when the Dynobots return to save Grimlock from being slagged by the Sunstreaker clones, some really groan-worthy dialogue comes out of it:

Snarl: “All you’ve done is remind us that deep down…”
Slag: “…For better or for worse…”
Swoop: “…We’re Dynobots!”

Doublecross breathing fire on the ‘Streaker clones a few pages later while saying, “And I’ll get the opposition well and truly warmed up”, deserves an honourable mention. C’mon, you know that at least got a snicker out of you.

It’s like the first few pages of issue #1 all over again. It fits the tone though, so whatever.

Though a bit silly at moments, it’s been a while since an IDW book has offered this kind of clever and over the top fun. Only three issues in so far, and, to my pleasure, most of my wish list requests have be answered (http://tfarchive.com/community/showthread.php?p=633170#post633170), including Soundwave, which I wasn't expecting to be covered here. Not too shabby. The Monsterbots are just a nifty little consolation.

3.0 out of 5 (upon first second reading)

inflatable dalek
2009-02-21, 06:23 PM
The bad point: I don't like Swoop's look. I've given it this long to grow on me but whilst I like/can cope with most character changes it just doesn't feel like him to me without the traditional slightly chunkier head look. It's sort of the reverse of how cool it was for Ratchet to have the Marvel red head (though in Swoop's case they've even got two colours to pick from for him to feel "right" to me). That's a very subjective one though.

Best points: Everything else. Objectively there's less plot than there seems here (at the end of the issue most of the characters are in the same place as at the start) but as with issue two, and unlike AHM, that doesn't matter because we're getting fantastic action, nicely incorperated character moments and good silly gags. And he kind of stands out flying over houses in gun mode, so the attempt to use a comunication blackout to reconcile with AHMhas kinda failed.

I am a bit worried about the Shockwave subplot, after a couple of issues of suddenly being smart Red came across as a bit thick here in giving Shockwave a seemingly very free hand. The thunder Lizard's should be the main concern as they're the ones tearing up the country, Shockwave should have been told to fly straight to Fallon without diviation (perhaps even with air escourt to make sure) and if he deals with that problem OK then give him a wider brief to hunt down the Seekers. As it is it seems he can fly off where he likes (such as to a convienent place to use his advance alien abilities to remove the bomb).

Brimstone
2009-02-22, 03:27 AM
Crap...so this did come out this week. My local comic store said it doesn't come out until the 25th...and infact gave me a bit of grief when I told them it was supposed to be the 18th. That bothers me. Well, here's hoping I actually get it next week....

zigzagger
2009-02-22, 04:46 AM
The bad point: I don't like Swoop's look. I've given it this long to grow on me but whilst I like/can cope with most character changes it just doesn't feel like him to me without the traditional slightly chunkier head look.
It has a certain Rocketeer (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3251/2332467713_223467920b.jpg) quality, doesn't it?

That bothers me. Well, here's hoping I actually get it next week....
That's the word on the street. Something to do with printing issues, and that certain regions were unable to get it in time (I think Eastern and Central US were affected in particular). Those who missed out will get it the 24th...well, so I've read and heard.

Commander Shockwav
2009-02-23, 03:20 AM
Read it.

Better than the last issue, but still, I find myself underwhelmed.

Having the Monsterbots introduced could have been something cool. They are a unique bunch with strange quirky personalities.

How does Simon characterize them? Like every other bot out there, spouting cliche after cliche after cliche.

Repugnus: "Things are about to get ugly!" (Ugly like Repugnus. So clever! )
Grotusque: "For you Repugnus. I'll skip to the punch line!" (So ingenious! Punch line! Causes he's punching!)
Double Cross: "And I'll get the opposition well and truly warmed up!" (See, cause he's a dragon breathing fire. Brilliant!)

**** man. Who really thinks this is good? We're not twelve years old anymore. Seriously.

This group of bots sound exactly like the Dinobots from the first issue. Quip after quip after quip! Of all the opportunities to give us something unique and different, the Monsterbots could have provided it.

And how about Swoop's sudden PMS-like change of mind? "I ain't working with ya! Wait. Yeah, we do! We're a team!" I guess next issue, he's going to be asking "Wait...are we a team?"

Stupid stuff. Stupid.

The positive?

Great first panel of Shockwave. Just to have the guy back in action almost made up for the lousy dialogue. Looks like Soundwave is on the way.

Tired of seeing the Headmasters. They are getting very Oompa Loompa now. Not sure I see the wisdom in Scorponoks subterfuge and secret agendas when he could annihilate the entire planet, much like Megatron is doing in AHM. Maybe for amusement?

Again, artwise, the coloring is very monotone. Many of the panels are hard to decipher.

Give it a "C+". Good to have Shockers back, but finding it hard to get up for this series thus far.

zigzagger
2009-02-23, 03:36 AM
**** man. Who really thinks this is good? We're not twelve years old anymore. Seriously.

I don't think anyone does.

Though, yes, corny dialogue is corny dialogue no matter how well you pretty it up, it's so over the top and ridiculous that I really don't understand why people are taking it so damn seriously.

You know, sort of in the same camp the Shattered Expectations (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Shattered_Expectations) April Fools joke and Spotlight: Ramjet are in (yeah, yeah, I grumbled about the latter when it initially came up, but have warmed up to it quite a bit since then). It's so goofy that it brings a smile to my face.

Rossum
2009-02-23, 04:02 AM
I don't think anyone does.

Though, yes, corny dialogue is corny dialogue no matter how well you pretty it up, it's so over the top and ridiculous that I really don't understand why people are taking it so damn seriously.

You know, sort of in the same camp the Shattered Expectations (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Shattered_Expectations) April Fools joke and Spotlight: Ramjet are in (yeah, yeah, I grumbled about the latter when it initially came up, but have warmed up to it quite a bit since then). It's so goofy that it brings a smile to my face.

Max Dinos is enthusiastically and lovably retro, but the puns are just a liiiitle bit too much for me. It pushes it into parody territory, which works for the April Fool's joke, but not so much for a story that's wrapping up a previously serious set of arcs.

For any flaws though, the first three issues have been fun and entertaining enough to make me wish hard for more to Furman's story than two more issues. So many good possibilities...

inflatable dalek
2009-02-23, 08:38 AM
Personally I'm glad Furman has dropped all pretentions of writting the greatest story of all time and is just doing what he does best. The line between good corny (as seen here) and bloody awful corny (as seen in All Hail Thrift) is a fine one but Furman knows how to walk it when he isn't trying to hard.

As for the silliness of Scorponok's plan and the fact the Headmasters are a bit rubbish... The guy speant a long time as just a head (after suffering a unspecified trauma that managed to remove said head). He now has a fat power crazy human in his new head. He's literally insane.

Commander Shockwav
2009-02-23, 08:01 PM
Well, I'm not really looking for corny fun.

I'm looking for decent storytelling on a more mature level that resonates in some form or fashion with the more serious aspects of life.

Can we have a little of that?

With Simon and Shane at the head, it doesn't look that way.

Denyer
2009-02-23, 09:10 PM
"Perfect end to a perfect day. We can't even die right."

Third issue of big-budget Marvel UK style snarky humour, and I'm loving it. If AHM can in any way be said to gel stylistically and fit with the existing continuity, so can the rather campy fun of Maximum Dinobots. Though it's not all fights, banter and getting James Roberts' name in print; Shockwave's genuinely menacing, there's a reminder of the scale of damage a single Transformer can do to an inhabited world, and things are generally going out on a concerted high. Monsterbots!

Didn't even mind the ad in the middle.

I'm looking for decent storytelling on a more mature level that resonates in some form or fashion with the more serious aspects of life.

Can we have a little of that?
Furman wasn't edited well enough when he was doing it, and McCarthy thinks the good guys fighting each other and Prime taking a bunch of non-combat-specialist "as seen on TV" second stringers into an ambush count as mature plotting. So it doesn't look like we're getting it any time soon.

Halfshell
2009-02-24, 09:04 AM
I love this mini.

It's unpretentious fun, whilst also attempting to address open plot issues.

Two things that AHM fails spectacularly at.

Seriously, if I want brooding complexity and realism and all that other highbrow intellectual artsy gubbins, I'll go and read an Alan Moore book. I read TF at the mo to be entertained in a kitschy retro style, preferably without the story devolving to the level of a three year old (hello again AHM!)

LKW
2009-02-26, 10:27 PM
Yeah, I finally got and read a copy of this (neglected to put it on my pull list until after the first issue had already come out. Oops. My back-up comic shop was once again able to hook me up, happily); and overall, I’m well-pleased.

It felt like it had been a very long time since I’d read such an intelligent, generally high-quality issue of Transformers (though, to be fair, probably not that long; early Revelation issues, in likelihood). Lots of nice touches, including Hunter‘s holo-matter proxy, the multi-colored Sunstreaker clone squads (are all the white ones in the “tsunami”, I wonder, or are there enough of each color for multiple units? Or has that question already been answered in the subsequent isues?); I also liked the little inside-joke of the name of the Dynobots’ ship. And I felt that Grimlock’s internal monologue worked well, both refreshing memories of his situation and giving us new bits of info – the line Halfshell thanked the Lords of Kobal for, for example. With Hot Rod and Huntstreaker coverging on Scorponok’s base of operations, and Grimlock being made very cognito and about to be forced into a confrontation with the other Dynobots, things are moving at a brisk clip.

There have been bits of AHM I’ve liked, and some things have been improving there, but this Maximum #1 just reinforces my feeling that I really hope Furman gets to continue his presence in the TF comics universe.

MeGrimlock
2009-03-14, 04:21 PM
My (late) two cents about MD #3. This is the first time I try a full review in english, so don't expect much (and please be understanding! ^_^).

A great fun for another brilliant and multi-layered issue.
I take that mr. Furman has been asked by IDW to give more space to "tough and cool guys" action, in line with other current productions, and so mr Furman does, but without giving back to his superb style.
The Monsterbots' arrival is just a perfect example of this: their puns are awful because Furman wantes them to be awful; they are just what all the "tough cool" superheroes in comics spit out when they are entering the fray. No characterization here, just machism: but in this case, the puns are so exaggerated that they become what they are meant to be, a sharp parody of this style.

But Maximum Dinobots is more than action; as usual in mr Furman's work, there are always new and imaginative ways to depicts old characters and have them interact with each other. And in the same time, these ways also feel "right" and classic, just as if they were ever been there, since 1984 (more or less), waiting for someone to bring them to life.

Hunter and Sunstreaker are the greatest and most intriguing couple of detectives ever seen in the Transformers saga: it's really a shame they are going to be separated so soon. Their partnership could only have produced more great adventures.

Hot Rod's reaction to Scorponok's mistake is priceless: beaten and battered, he laughs at him, in spite of the danger of being killed. This is just so Hot Rod... both the classic one and the new one depicted in Spotlight Hot Rod. And he also comes close to break the fourth wall, expressing ehat all we readers already think!

Shockwave's phrase to Agent Red about the damage he could bring to our world in 24 hours is another masterpiece: just one phrase is enough to provide the concrete feeling of a true and unimaginable menace. It does more than 6 issues of Decepticons kicking the ass of an incredibly inferior and under-armed organic species.

Skywatch's guys are a bunch of oafs. And they have to be this way: it's just logic that organic life forms with a lower level of technology development are unable to deal with incredibly advanced robotic lifeforms coming from another world, able to travel in space and with a life span of million of years. The humans just don't have a chance... and mr Furmans deals with them in the most sensible way.
In the same time, the interaction with local life forms is not forgotten or set aside, because we have a ton of Headmasters, from Hunter/Sunstreaker to Dante/Scorponok, passing through the clone army; and this is one of the most efficent and "true" way to explore the interaction between humans and Transformers.

And it's not just that. We all considered "Cash & Carnage" to be a pretty silly story, in the 1980s, but it also had a bit of a good idea, because it exploited the Headmasters potential. Now, Maximum Dinobots does the same thing: Scorponok/Dante's partnership and plans are a perfect example of the real fascination of the Transformers saga, because they are secretely infiltrating our society, expanding the disguise concept in every area. And this is what the Transformers should be: robots in disguise, who use subtletly and wits to pursue their goals (and they don't just pop up to stomp everything and everyone).
Making Scorponok a Bond villain is a bold move, but it's also needed: the riginal character was great (mostly thanks to Zarak's dilemma), but it could not be repeated agan without becoming boring or reduntant; hence the choice to provide him a completely new partner and a different direction for his development. Since now, it has been intriguing: maybe he has been a bit naive with the Dynobots, but the guy seems to have a powerfully intense background story to tell.

Swoop has always been the brightest Dinobot, in mr Furman's management, as seen in Marvel UK comics, in War Within: The Dark Ages. And even now, swoop has a way with words and he is the one who analyzes/reacts to Grimlock's betrayal in the best and most elaborate/sophisticated way. Alas, I suspect there's a Damocles' sword hanging over this series, that doesn't allow unfinished subplots: so, Swoop leaves the team, but he comes back after two or three pages... but with the due irony: "Where would I go?". And however, the final result has been achieved: from now on, Swoop's relationship with Grimlock and the Dynobots is changed forever.

The violence in this issue is brutal and sharp as it is discrete; Grimlock splits a whole Headmaster in two, head included. He just killed a human. But the event is not loudly paraded around and there's no one pointing out that he's cool, because the readers can realize this by themselves: Grimlock is portrayed in a more adult way and as an edge never shown before, but all this is achieved with a quiet style, with the sophistication of discretion.

This is all. Maximum Dinobots #3 is a rarely rich read and I hope I have been able to convey my options and feelings about it, even with my awkward english (which I apologize for ).

zigzagger
2009-03-29, 09:20 PM
A few weeks tardy, this is your all purpose Transformers: Maximum Dinobots #4 reaction and discussion thread.

Scheduled to arrive April 1st.

View the preview pages @ comicscontinuum.com (http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/0903/26/idwfirsts.htm).

Mirrored
http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/1741/maximumdinobots41.th.jpg (http://img148.imageshack.us/my.php?image=maximumdinobots41.jpg)http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/5404/maximumdinobots42.th.jpg (http://img186.imageshack.us/my.php?image=maximumdinobots42.jpg)http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/3110/maximumdinobots43.th.jpg (http://img212.imageshack.us/my.php?image=maximumdinobots43.jpg)http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/6569/maximumdinobots44.th.jpg (http://img257.imageshack.us/my.php?image=maximumdinobots44.jpg)http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/3128/maximumdinobots45.th.jpg (http://img205.imageshack.us/my.php?image=maximumdinobots45.jpg)

Commander Shockwav
2009-04-01, 08:20 PM
Well, throw me in a solar pool and melt me down for scrap.

That was good.

Whereas AHM went from 'great' the previous issue to 'average' the next, this latest installment of MD does the opposite.

I had forgotten how awesome Raiz is at adding a darker feel with his style, which Lafuente does an excellent job enhancing. Gotta say, as good as Nick is, I enjoyed Raiz's work on this more. It's more serious, more grim. Great to have him back.

And aside from a few annoying lines of dialogue from Swoop (who still appears to have not made up his mind about what the hell he wants), and the usual Furman line of dialogue that nobody understands (in this case, "let's just hope this isn't another epic/heroic tilt"), all around, things were rock solid in terms of writing here.

It was exciting to see how all the big players in this tale are coming together. Got chills just seeing Shockers back in action, and with Soundwave in tow, no less. And we have Magnus on the way! Looks like we've got one big, bad extravangza free-for-all next issue. Marvel style. Can't wait.

Hell, this issue even reinforces Shane's work on AHM, as we now see why Sunstreaker was so damned pissed at humanity. Hunter, you selfish little ****!

Well, Simon can complain about having his story cut short before, but there's one thing he's got that Shane doesn't. Simon's got dibs on all the cool characters.

"Fun" is the word here. And the next issue looks like it could be stronger. Let's hope none of the big players are defeated by running out of gas.

Not much to dislike here, easily an "A" issue.

zigzagger
2009-04-04, 01:04 AM
Arrived early this morning in the mail. Such a nice way to start my day. After a slight lull from the previous issue (which was still enjoyable, mind), the story marches forward. It continues to put a smile on my face.

Items of note:

True to form, there is the usual (or unusual) variety of dialogue that this book in particular is known for. Most notably, "Let's just hope this isn't another epic/heroic tilt”.....What? Snarl referring to the Monsterbots as “Pug ‘n’ his thugs” was cute though.

Speaking of which, brief as it was, Repugnus is portrayed nicely here. He’s very forthright, and bit shady too. Loved how ‘Pugs put Grimlock in his place, reminding the Dynobot leader that his colleagues are less lenient then he is.

Scorponok, as always, is ****ing fantastic.

So, Hunter pulls the plug, eh? Perhaps this might be were Sunstreaker’s (further) resentment stems from in that other book.

Sludge and Snarl are another highlight of this issue (it’s not entirely clear where the “mini-spotlight” is aimed towards, though. Both?). Like the other two, I really like that, despite being loyal to Grimlock’s cause, they continue to doubt his effectiveness as a leader. Though it makes Grimlock appear a lot more vulnerable than many are use to, I think (like I’ve said in earlier threads) it adds a level of depth to the character rarely (if ever) seen.

One minor quibble: Adding Ultra Magnus’ to the already full roster, though welcome, seems a bit unnecessary. It’s a pattern that I’ve noticed in lot of Furman’s work, where an additional character is unexpectedly added towards the end of his story arcs in order to “up the stakes”. However, like the rest of MD’s off shooting threads, his inclusion is relevant here and works in the main story’s favor. Conversely, there’s no denying that the final issue will be one big ol’ Marvel-esque showdown, but, man, it’s going to have trouble finding breathing space.

Threads are for the most part being tied up tidily, setting the stage nicely for the final chapter. It's a busy issue. While this is generally the point where Furman’s stories run the risk of careening out of control, thus far he has managed to stay on track. An immensely enjoyable and quirky romp so far.

4 out of 5

inflatable dalek
2009-04-04, 03:34 PM
Now that's more like it, actual progression amoungst the mayhem! Scorponok running off without dealing with Hunter first (which would have taken what, three seconds?) was stupid but otherwise nicely done.

I can't see Hunter's actions here being enough to turn Sunstreaker into a genocidal maniac though. With no other real options it's almost certainly what Sunstreaker would have wanted (based on the "KILL ME!" bit from Escalation anyway).

Raiz', very good, art did take a bit of getting used to as it was so different in style to Roche's though.

MeGrimlock
2009-04-04, 10:34 PM
This was epic, in the truest sense of the word.
The Transformers are an alien life form, completly different from ours.
Everything they do should be on a totally different level, compared to us humans. When they interact, when they fight... they cannot do that just and simply like us. They must do something more.
And Maximum Dinobots shows exactly this: when these Transformers fight, it's like a fight between gods. I.e., it's epic.

Halfshell
2009-04-07, 08:23 AM
Lovely to have James Raiz back on board, though I'm not convinced it worked alongside Nick's stuff. Just didn't quite mesh right, possibly JR's stuff was overdetailed a bit.

Nice to see threads coming together from way back in the day... Spotlights Shockwave, Soundwave and Ultra Magnus now all converge to bring us a massive smackdown. Wooha.

zigzagger
2009-04-07, 09:36 AM
Spotlights Shockwave, Soundwave and Ultra Magnus now all converge to bring us a massive smackdown. Wooha.
Yeah, I wasn't even expecting the last one to be addressed at all. Hell, I was surprised Soundwave and co. have received as much attention as they have too. It makes me happy (though that could be because I'm drunk right now). Bit of a coincidence though since, as it would turn out, the place he's headed to happens to be full of outcasts on his most wanted list (not sure about the Monsterbots, but one can only assume they are). It'll be interesting to see how Magnus handles this.

Halfshell
2009-04-07, 09:39 AM
I reckon he'll end up arresting Scorponok, Shockwave, the Dinobots and Monsterbots. And then dying.

Handily explaining why absolutely none of them are anywhere to be seen in All Hail Megatron.

Or maybe they all go and live on a farm on New Cybertron or whatever we're calling Gorlam Prime.

Terome
2009-04-07, 06:23 PM
I'm going to heave with the crowd and mark this one down as a bullseye. Though it wasn't until I read the boards that I twigged that it was Snarl, not Sludge, who was talking about his 'simple life' back on Cybertron. I thought it made more sense coming out of Sludge's mouth - he always struck me as a kind of idyllic farm boy / Cybertronian equivalent.

One thing that bugs me about Ultra Magnus though, and this is probably a common thing that has a clever name on TV Tropes, but how he started off as the guy (possibly one of many) who enforces the Tyrest Accord, which was pretty specifically about black-market Cybertronian tech. He's quite quickly turned not only into the only law-man in the universe, but one who's got a vague mandate to lock up anyone he finds distasteful. I'd like to see some kind of implication that he's part of a larger structure rather than just a crazy bast who flies around, shooting at people.

I have to say, I absolutely love how he just saved the entire Universe last week and is back at work without skipping a beat.

And oh yeah, there's a whole new Cybertron now. Huh. Revelation sure was packed full of mad shit, wasn't it?

inflatable dalek
2009-04-07, 06:56 PM
That whole Tyrest accord thing never made any sense to me anyway,how did the Autobots and Decepticons agree on what rules in war you don't break? Why would the Cons care about Swindle selling black market goods? If Magnus is supposed to be neutral why is still a badge wearing Autobot? And so on.

Terome
2009-04-07, 07:58 PM
Well, it made sense at the time - we didn't have a clear idea of how the Autobots or Decepticons were organised - we didn't even know if they were still officially at war after Cybertron went tits up - Megatron was saying ominous things about an 'Imperium,' everything seemed a lot bigger and complicated, like the cluster****s that are warring nations here on Earth. The reason people are so upset with the U.S leading the charge against Iraq, for instance, is not entirely because people think war is a bad idea, but because a lot of rules got broken in the process. The Tyrest Accord hinted at some larger presence, either Cybertronian or alien, that was interested in keeping conflicts contained and, presumably, humane.

All that's gone out the window now we know that Megatron does everything, the Autobots and Decepticons are all that there is of the Transformers race, the Cybertronians seem to have the technology and mobility edge on the rest of the known Universe and the war is pretty much the same thing as it's always been, even though that doesn't really make a lot of sense with no homeground to squabble over and the fact that a Transformer can happily survive in space for a few thousand years, requiring only a bandage when he gets back. Honestly, how the hell does Spotlight: Blaster gel at all with Stormbringer? What radiation exists in the Shaula system that isn't in abundance in deep space? Are the Transformers on Cybertron all just incredible hypochondriacs?

But anyway, as an early addition to the blank slate and with a generous heap of benefit-of-the-doubt, the Tyrest Accord makes sense. But it doesn't any more. Probably for the best that Ultra Magnus is now just a wandering superhero.

EDIT: Oh yeah, the part where the neutral blue-hat wears an Autobot badge every time he goes out was always a bad idea. Don't Hasbro get quite finnicky about the characters swapping sides?

Rossum
2009-04-08, 05:39 AM
I wish you hadn't reminded me of that, it's one of the more depressing things about the turn that the comics have taken. I think a lot of my interest in the eventual ongoing will depend on whether or not the author(s) runs with AHM's super-simplified version of the war and factions. I have a hard time finding anything to like about it.

Denyer
2009-04-08, 05:24 PM
Why would the Cons care about Swindle selling black market goods? If Magnus is supposed to be neutral why is still a badge wearing Autobot? And so on.
They care about him distributing TF tech to other races. Same deal with Scorponok dealing with organics. Magnus isn't neutral, he's just more focused on violations of the Accord, whether the perps are Autobot or Decepticon.

the Autobots and Decepticons are all that there is of the Transformers race
I don't get that impression... they're the ones engaged in the war, and their home planet is a wasteland. Plenty of scope for others to be distributed across the galaxy.

that has a clever name on TV Tropes
The site's disappeared up its own arse with the volume of 'kewl' terminology now. It's a shame.

Got this, loved it, loved the Raiz stuff especially. Maybe more later when have time. :)

Terome
2009-04-08, 08:00 PM
I don't get that impression... they're the ones engaged in the war, and their home planet is a wasteland. Plenty of scope for others to be distributed across the galaxy.

Actually, come to think of it, Scorponok is a big, fat sit-out on the whole 'eternal war' thing. He still wears the badge though, which kind of muddles things. Or wait, does he? I must go check over my backissues for badly-placed vector graphics.

The site's disappeared up its own arse with the volume of 'kewl' terminology now. It's a shame.

I've just discovered it, myself. It's a bedazzling place that could well threaten my enjoyment of fiction forever if I look at it too long.

zigzagger
2009-04-14, 12:34 AM
And the Furman penned mini comes to a close in (what seems to be) an explosive finale. Oh yes, this is your Transformers: Maximum Dinobots #5 Scorponok versus Shockwave reaction and discussion thread. Just like the ol' days (http://tfarchive.com/comics/covers/Marvel%20US/41-80/US%2072.jpg). Well, sort of.

Scheduled to arrive April 15th.

Preview pages are up for viewing @ comicscontinuum.com (http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/0904/09/idwfirsts.htm).

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/4711/maximumdinobots51.th.jpg (http://img15.imageshack.us/my.php?image=maximumdinobots51.jpg)http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/6273/maximumdinobots52.th.jpg (http://img12.imageshack.us/my.php?image=maximumdinobots52.jpg)http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/348/maximumdinobots53.th.jpg (http://img22.imageshack.us/my.php?image=maximumdinobots53.jpg)http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/4653/maximumdinobots54.th.jpg (http://img10.imageshack.us/my.php?image=maximumdinobots54.jpg)http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/5352/maximumdinobots55.th.jpg (http://img404.imageshack.us/my.php?image=maximumdinobots55.jpg)

Rossum
2009-04-14, 02:55 PM
Got my copy in the mail amazingly early. Very lovable, if rushed, wrap up.

Halfshell
2009-04-14, 03:16 PM
And there I was expecting Easter to make it late.

Just like the ol' days (http://tfarchive.com/comics/covers/Marvel%20US/41-80/US%2072.jpg). Well, sort of.

All this and Maximum Dinobots 5?

Commander Shockwav
2009-04-15, 11:05 PM
Well, that was a real cluster ****, wasn't it?

**** really hit the fan this issue. Problem was, too much **** hit the fan.

From both a story standpoint as well as an artistic standpoint it was quite choatic. Seemed like from one page to the next everyone just seemed to be bashing the hell out of each other, and with much of the art indecipherable, it kind of added to the whole "acid trip" feel.

I enjoyed seeing Shockwave and Scorps go at it again (with the appropriate result this time :wink: ) and enjoyed seeing the Dinbots vs Shockwave Round 3. But there really were maybe one too many cooks.

I mean, Hot Rod just seemed to stand around most of the issue, mangled mouth agape. It was hard to believe this was the same competent Hot Rod seen in his spotlight and in Escalation/Devestation. The Dinobots, once again, can't make up their freakin mind what they want. Do we stay? Do we leave? Surprise! They stay. It's official. I can't can't stand those **** anymore. Espcecially as Roche's Swoop has now stripped the reward for worst looking Transformer from movie Megatron.

Sludge coming back to life didn't help matters. It wasn't really believable in the first place that a single sting from Scorps tail would have taken him out anyway, so in that sense, I'm glad he 'rebooted' It's just that, well, can't a character just stay dead for once? I mean Grimlock blows himself and Shockwave to hell, and two pages later they're locked up in Magnus' cell.

Despite the above complaints, I will say this. It was a rocky, crazy ride, but a story happened. It was haphazard, here and there, but in the end, the plot progressed and we had some conclusion. (AHM, I'm looking at you). Simon managed to tie up all the loose ends. Shockwave is back. Soundwave is back. Scorps on ice. Magnus made his return. Verity had plastic work done and looks nothing at all like Verity. (Not sure what the hell the Monsterbots purpose was in the story, though, except to say, "Hey, cool! Mosterbots".).

The art was a big letdown, as it was very difficult to decipher. To be honest, most of this series has suffered this problem, and I think it comes down to the coloring. Roche's other endeavors have been crystal clear, so I know what he's capable of. But the coloring was very one-dimensional, making it difficult to discern a character from a similarly colored background.

So I'd give this issue a "B-". Not bad, maybe too over the top, but the story gets somewhere and moves this continuity forward.

zigzagger
2009-04-18, 12:55 AM
Well, that just about checks off everything (http://tfarchive.com/community/showthread.php?p=633170#post633170), doesn’t it?

It was a dense, though a bit rushed wrap up, and far more effective, in my opinion, than Revelation’s conclusion.

Now, some have argued that Grimlock is too "emo", and, well, I simply do not see it. If there is one thing that was gained (or at least what I gained) from this mini, is that Grimlock has become a far more richer character. But, that’s just me. He’s impetuous, but still remorseful and genuinely cares about his comrades. In this instance, Furman wrote his Mary Sue well, and I have to give him credit for being willing to experiment, even if some didn’t care for the results. Furthermore, while many found it grating, I still absolutely adore the vaudevillian take on Scorponok.

Thought Shockwave was really imposing here, and had a fist-to-the-air moment when he proved his superiority over Scorponok. Almost attempts to do the same to Grimlock. However, I do hope this isn’t the uprising that Jetfire was referring to in Revelation. It’s not really much of an uprising, but rather a return from a very long period of inactivity. He really didn't do anything that would suggest an uprising. Probably just another idea that had to be abandoned, and best ignored at this point. Still, he has been out of the action for faaaar too long, and I would love to see more of him.

Though it was a little disappointing that Magnus didn’t do much, it was probably all for the best that he wasn’t given much page time. There was enough happening as it was.

Though I agree the Monsterbots presence here is a bit superfluous….okay, I admit it, they were, but I still liked that they were there. Though there's not much to say about them other than Repugnus is a shady prick, it worked for me and it's not often we get to see them.

Is it the perfect swansong of the Furmanverse? Hmmm, no, probably not – but it has at least given me some closure, and I am left feeling quite satisfied. The overall MD experience has managed to be consistent with a strong emphasis on fun without the pretenses of trying a write the most awesome Transformers story ever. I enjoyed it; deal with it.

I got my closure, so I'm happy.

inflatable dalek
2009-04-18, 01:27 PM
Well, that just about checks off everything (http://tfarchive.com/community/showthread.php?p=633170#post633170), doesn’t it?

I note with pleasure that even though I was wrong about how this was going to be concurrent with Revelation I was right about Verity and Jimmy not getting more than a cameo at the end. Though both seem to have had excessive plastic surgery (though in Jimmy's case it's hard to tell what with him having been such a non entity to start with).

Me liked for the most part. The Sludge thing was a little forced and would perhaps have been better if Furman had the balls to kill him (I suspect the original plan was that this would be the end of Sunstreaker as well before AHM came calling). But the important thing was Grimlock realising he was wrong and that he's a bit of a dick and needs to make up for it. the most important character development he's had in years and very nicely done.

Shame Ultra Magnus didn't get more to do than show up at the end and tell everyone that all this silliness needs to stop at once, but at least his arrival was properly set up last issue (*cough*Omega Supreme in AHM*cough*). And of all the lose ends the Magnificence was probably the most important in terms of not making the Autobots look like retards in all stories set after this, a simple "Shame I lost that in a game of strip poker" would have done it, hell would even have fitted in with some of the other one line continuity patches we did get.

StoneCold Skywarp
2009-04-18, 07:45 PM
Felt like a spotlight issue to me really. Mind you, most of the issues have had that vibe about them to me, focusing on one of the *hurl* 'Dynobots' more than the others (Swoop's loss of faith etc).

I guess it pulls together all the loose ends but really, a full continuing comic (I know why they don't do them anymore) would've done this entire serious total justice to me.

Also am I alone in finding the clash between Raiz' work and Roche's work startling enough to throw me off what I'm reading and working out what's going on?

What are the odds on a Dynasty style ending for AHM, when they realise it's actually been quite awful, that it's just a videogame created by Ethan Zachary...

zigzagger
2009-04-18, 10:39 PM
Also am I alone in finding the clash between Raiz' work and Roche's work startling enough to throw me off what I'm reading and working out what's going on?
I wouldn't have felt Roche and Raiz sharing artistic duties jarring if it wasn't so inconsistent in spots. For example, one remembering to draw battle damage on Shockwave while the other didn't, and similarly the level of damage on Hot Rod varying between artists, and perhaps the most glaring, the difference between Roche and Raiz' Sludge. If time contraints were an issue, it probably would've made more sense to have the two simply alternate between full issues, rather than sharing one since their styles differ so much.

StoneCold Skywarp
2009-04-18, 10:52 PM
I wouldn't have felt Roche and Raiz sharing artistic duties jarring if it wasn't so inconsistent in spots. For example, one remembering to draw battle damage on Shockwave while the other didn't, and similarly the level of damage on Hot Rod varying between artists, and perhaps the most glaring, the difference between Roche and Raiz' Sludge. If time contraints were an issue, it probably would've made more sense to have the two simply alternate between full issues, rather than sharing one since their styles differ so much.

Am I reading that as a "no" or are the differing art styles contained in your post throwing off my spidey sense again? ;)

zigzagger
2009-04-18, 11:15 PM
Am I reading that as a "no" or are the differing art styles contained in your post throwing off my spidey sense again? ;)

Well...I...I'm sort of agreeing with you :o. And I guess it was little muddy in some parts. There was an awful lot of grey, though that has more to do with colours.

StoneCold Skywarp
2009-04-18, 11:51 PM
Also am I alone...

it probably would've made more sense to have the two simply alternate between full issues, rather than sharing one since their styles differ so much.

Am I reading that as a "no"

Well...I...I'm sort of agreeing with you :o. *SNIP*

Yeah, I got that ;) It's nice to be loved. Especially in the comic's section where my knowledge is probably hazy at best :)

Carry on people :)

Red Dave Prime
2009-04-19, 01:10 PM
And of all the lose ends the Magnificence was probably the most important in terms of not making the Autobots look like retards in all stories set after this, a simple "Shame I lost that in a game of strip poker" would have done it, hell would even have fitted in with some of the other one line continuity patches we did get.

Was it even mentioned in MD? I'm waiting for the collected issues having missed the first - having ranted at the magnificence in the AHM #10 thread I would be much happy if it was written out somewhere in MD.

inflatable dalek
2009-04-19, 04:59 PM
Was it even mentioned in MD? I'm waiting for the collected issues having missed the first - having ranted at the magnificence in the AHM #10 thread I would be much happy if it was written out somewhere in MD.

It was implied that was how Hot Rod found Scorponok ("You must tell me how you did it" or somesuch). Irritatingly vague.

borg72
2009-05-12, 12:16 PM
can someone explain how the hoomins aren't dead?

and how this ties up with AHM where hunter was still headmastery and spilling access codes left, right, and center? or are we saying that was in fact a flashback? but to when? and if so, why have we seen no trace of bombshell, who was there with him?

IDWs transformers is only three years old (if that), why the hell are they retconning things (like major plot points) already?

MeGrimlock
2009-05-12, 12:38 PM
and how this ties up with AHM where hunter was still headmastery and spilling access codes left, right, and center?

I guess that the Sunstreaker chapter in AHM #14 will explain something, given that IDW has finally realized that AHM can't fill its own plot holes.

IDWs transformers is only three years old (if that), why the hell are they retconning things (like major plot points) already?

In my opinion, AHM has been a reboot/retcon since the beginning, and it was due to a change of editors.

Osku
2009-06-25, 01:20 PM
Hi people.

Would someone know where to get Maximum Dinobots 1-5 (Roche covers preferably)? My usual place NTFA store is missing #3 and #5. Already checked also oneshallstand.com...

--

Revelation Spotlights and "Focus on Decepticons" preview disappointed me too much to actually care about the IDW continuity for a while. :(

Is there any hope for the continuity? Something else I should pick up?

Some previews I've checked from All Hail have been... worrying. I suppose All Hail is ending now, but I wouldn't want to search for info because of possible spoilers. So without spoilers, please. :)

Halfshell
2009-06-25, 02:06 PM
Some previews I've checked from All Hail have been... worrying. I suppose All Hail is ending now, but I wouldn't want to search for info because of possible spoilers. So without spoilers, please. :)

If it were a hundred times better it would still make my soul howl in despair. :(

Denyer
2009-06-25, 05:02 PM
Is there any hope for the continuity?
Doubtful, but I've ordered the Coda issues, and there's also a Nick Roche mini-series coming up at some point.

MeGrimlock
2009-06-25, 06:48 PM
I suppose that AHM Coda will be pivotal in confirming my hypothesis (that no one else shares) or denying them.

The Perceptor 11-pages story, written by Tipton, will tell us how much IDW approves the choice of turning Perceptor into another traumatized kewl warrior... and how much of mccarthy was in that decision.
If Perceptor will still be a badass macho mech (and the "creative" direction does not change, even if the writer does, at least formally)... well, I think this will mean that AHM was written after very specif requests from the editors, and thus I'll just avoid to purchase AHM coda in both its forms (issues and TPB).

Cliffjumper
2009-06-30, 04:24 PM
Well, I've 'bought' it (Rapidshare Premium still costs money, after all), and, well, it was ridiculously mediocre. I kinda wanted all the Dynobots to die, they all had pretty irritating personality disorders. Swoop especially needed a big dose of spine with a side-order of Shut The **** Up. "Oh, I'm striking out on my own, oh Grimlock I'll be your bitch". Just shut up already. Same with the three interchangable ones. Dreamwave-esque bum steer with Magnus (issue cliffhanger: MAGNUS GONNA KICK SOME ASS!!!!!; issue actuality: Magnus does some paperwork and wrap-up exposition) too.

That art change was laughable too. if they hadn't have been named, I wouldn't have recognised the Adventure Kids, what with their Star Trek jammies and all.

Plus points were Shockwave and sort-of the Monsterbots (through telling us someone is awesome and EDGY doesn't work if it isn't backed up; it was just nice to see them involved properly in a story, though). It also wasn't monstrously boring, which instantly elevates it above most of the rest of IDW's TF output.

Rossum
2009-07-04, 02:06 AM
Cliffjumper, is there any possible Transformers comic that would actually please you?

Cliffjumper
2009-07-08, 06:27 PM
Yeh - I enjoy probably the majority of the Marvel run (which tended to be funny when it wasn't good; most of Bob's stuff has this sort of insane charm to it when read in moderation). It only really gets a bit frilly when Furman got a bit too big fish in a small pond with some very artificial epics (Space Pirates through to Time Wars is largely bottomless posturing).

IDW, however, have yet to do all that much that's any good - and the stuff that has been good has often been undermined by what's not - e.g. Escalation isn't bad, but it can't really be read in isolation.

If you'd like to point out where my criticism of Maximum Dinobots is unwarranted, be my guest. I do like the way that rather than countering any of it you just vaguely implied that I'm somehow impossible to please. Which obviously I am, as my love for Transformers comics totally isn't on the record (http://tfarchive.com/comics/marvel/).

MD, however, was poor to middling. I guess it comes across better if it's intermingled with helpings of All Fail Megatron, but, y'know, I read good comics as well as Transformers comics. Compared to Zenith it lacks a certain something. Hell, it lacks a certain something compared to Fleetway, which at least has drive, direction and consistency...

Terome
2009-07-08, 07:23 PM
which at least has drive, direction and consistency...

Though I think I got more of a kick out this series than you, I definitely think there were some pretty glaring problems with the structure. Furman's usually good at cramming a lot of plot points together into a small amount of page-space, but here we've got a fairly straightforward story that needlessly wanders off and pads out odd lumps of itself - almost everything with Hunter was a case of 'okay, I'm going to do this thing now' and the Swoop Redundancy really exposed the shaky foundations of the story for me.

So yeah, drive, direction and consistency - needed more of it.

Cliffjumper
2009-07-08, 08:02 PM
IMO, the sort-of rolling storyline of IDW's material doesn't seem to be working for Furman... While it was in some ways forced on him but the constraints of Budiansky's US material, I find the UK stories work better because they tend to focus on one thing at a time - we'll have a few issues of the Wreckers, or the Dinobots, or the Sparkabots, or the Mayhems, or whoever - covering a single group for twenty of thirty pages, and then moving on to another one entirely.

However, since he came back to TF comics with Dreamwave, Furman seems to have developed this habit of developing innumerable plot threads in rough parallel, so one issue will sometimes contain four or five threads, with 5/6 pages for each. It means the plots tend to inch along in a somewhat pondering fashion, and not flow very well as a result - I'd prefer to get one story at a time. The IDW hasn't had much of a beginning, middle, end (and I'm talking by story, not by universe, so it can't be blamed on Chippy McCarthy), but beginning, build up, middle, build up to something else. The art of telling stories within an arc needs to be resdiscovered, or arcs need to be shortened. As it is, the whole universe is staggering under the weight of its' subplots.

Terome
2009-07-08, 08:26 PM
Man, Devastation just about fell apart because of this. It would have worked out quite nicely if there had been an Autobot introduction issue, then a Hunter issue, a Hot Rod issue and a Decepticon issue, bumpered with an Autobot issue #2 and then a concluding all-together-now issue. I mean, books do that stuff all the time, don't they? Where'd this inchy-squinchy paradigm come from? If IDW are expecting people to go look on the internet just to find out where any given comic fits in regard to publication order, surely crediting the reader with enough intelligence to figure out a mildly overlapping chronology isn't too much of a stretch.

I do wonder what will become of the fledgling Monsterbot story if it is ever picked up on again. If they are the DARKER, LESS CARING DINOBOTS, what exactly do they get up to? Executing surrendered combatants is probably as naughty as you can get as a Transformer, seeing as they have no sex, advanced artificial intelligence for drudge-work, no juveniles and no apparent limits to their natural lifespan. And what they've been doing to earn that reputation can't be so dangerous as to get even one of them taken out of commission since the end of the last Ice Age, so um.

inflatable dalek
2009-07-08, 08:33 PM
I tend to be more forgiving of the more rubbish Marvel stuff (Irwin Spoon, brining Optimus Prime back to life to stop Hi Test and Throttle eating pies) because it was a quickly knocked out kids comic made by people who mostly didn't care that wasn't supposed to be read by adults. The fact most of the issues do stand up brilliantly well today is something of a minor miracle.

IDW on the other hand are supposed to care and be making their G1 stuff for sad old wankers like us. But it's still shite.

Cliffjumper
2009-07-08, 08:36 PM
Like I say, the Monsterbots thing did annoy me a bit... It was nice to see them, and nice to see the tech specs that made them sound like mad bastards were applied, but it'd have been nice to have some sort of reason for them being bastards beyond Swoop going "Wow, these guys are bastards, take it on trust!".

Devastation's probably in the running for worst structured comic I've ever read, and that's not hyperbole - I've read plenty of worse comics, but even the bad ones at least realise that the direction to go is forwards not sideways. It combines the parallel inching plot thing with a Dreamwave 'down a gear' conclusion as it stops building to Big Concluding Showdown and realigns the sights to the familiar Big Concluding Showdown Coming Next Mini, Honest To God. The Sixshot thing was especially pathetic - he, what, takes out Jazz' arm, then flies off and gets switched off by Starscream like something from the cartoon. Oooooh, scary.

It's actually quite cinematic, in a way - you see a lot of films that are badly directed or edited, but you don't see it often in comics. Devastation we salute you!

Terome
2009-07-08, 08:47 PM
brining Optimus Prime back to life to stop Hi Test and Throttle eating pies

I regard that as the single best idea in the original Marvel run! Every single part of it is hilarious.

The Sixshot thing was especially pathetic - he, what, takes out Jazz' arm, then flies off and gets switched off by Starscream like something from the cartoon. Oooooh, scary.

How great an ending would it have been to have Prime, at the last second, grab Prowl (the most valuable asset at hand) and the kids maybe (for extra Drama), orbital bounce up to a waiting Ark and high-tail it off to Garrus Nine while Sixshot reduced North America and its resident Autobot population to dust? That would be some Devastation right there, and wouldn't even mess up the extant storylines of Revelation and All Hail Megatron at all, if one is in the mood for not messing up quite fundamentally flawed storylines. You don't introduce a character like Sixshot if you plan on having him bonked on the head every time he's about to live up to his fourteen-word character description, dammit!

Rossum
2009-07-09, 04:18 AM
If you'd like to point out where my criticism of Maximum Dinobots is unwarranted, be my guest. I do like the way that rather than countering any of it you just vaguely implied that I'm somehow impossible to please. Which obviously I am, as my love for Transformers comics totally isn't on the record (http://tfarchive.com/comics/marvel/).

Nah, your criticism is accurate, it's just that you just seem to get no pleasure at all from the IDW comics.

Cliffjumper
2009-07-09, 03:53 PM
I liked the first two Spotlights, Stormbringer and the Fakerussianstateoslavia parts of Escalation, and I like some of the ideas in the universe and some of the characterisation... Beyond that, they haven't done a lot right. The publishing formats have been so badly chosen that it's hamstrung things from the start, but they've still made a bad fist of things. The Spotlights, for example, are either just fragments of a larger story, or they're so standalone as to be effectively pointless. The miniseries, as mentioned, have so much going on in terms of plot threads shuffling along there's no space for much actual advancement.

Red Dave Prime
2009-07-12, 01:04 PM
Having missed issue 1 of this when it was first out, I decided to wait until the TPB came out before buying it. And it was worth the wait. Much like stormbringer (IDWs other decent mini-series) this works because within the 5 issues it feels like a complete story. Granted you still need to have read a few of the spotlights to get the full story but whats within the 5 issues has a start, middle and end. And while it strays into sillyness at various points it all hangs together well.

Osku
2009-07-13, 09:47 AM
Not really much to add to previous reviews, but short thoughts.

Nice mini-series, not great but entertaining and written well enough. Would have vastly preferred Sludge to remain dead though.

Sort of got used to Roche's exaggerating style and Raiz filling in for Roche disturbed surprisingly little. Glowing eyes effect has gotten even more irritating. :( Otherwise I liked the new(?) colourist.

--

Still planning to skip AHM and related Spotlights, but could be talked into giving the next "soft reboot" a change, if I hear good things about it.

Spotlight Metroplex seemed to get mixed responses from remaining audience?

Patapsco
2009-07-24, 02:35 PM
A few minor irritations aside a pleasantly entertaining romp with Skorponok being perhaps the most comically inept bad guy ever (not Ramjet bad, but close) and some good old fashioned carnage. Washed the taste of AHM volume one away quite nicely

Xed51
2009-07-31, 09:02 AM
Devastation's probably in the running for worst structured comic I've ever read, and that's not hyperbole
I agree, but Devastation was also fast forwarded by the editors to go on with the reboot as soon as possible.
(They probably would've done the same thing with AHM to go on with the next reboot, too bad they had 12 issues already planned)

andersonh1
2009-10-22, 11:39 PM
Maximum Dinobots - Trade Paperback

I started reading the Transformer comics by IDW when they first began publishing, and for various reasons I dropped out about the time that Devastation began. So it’s been enjoyable to go back and fill in the gaps and catch up on a year and a half of missed stories. “Maximum Dinobots” fills in a lot of those gaps. The slow burn really does pay off quite well when that payoff is finally reached. “Maximum Dinobots” deals with story threads from not only the main series, but also Spotlights Shockwave, Ultra Magnus, Soundwave and Grimlock.

After a flashback to the “glory days” of the Dynobot team, the story starts out with Grimlock on his own, trying to get their spacecraft functioning again. He sends for help and then is located by Scorponok, who has been after him since the events of Spotlight: Grimlock, briefly summarized here. The story follows this conflict between Grimlock and Scorponok, mixed with Sunstreaker and Hunter’s search for Sunstreaker’s original head. Hot Rod and Shockwave are thrown into the mix, along with Soundwave, Ravage and Laserbeak. Given all the characters and loose ends, it should be apparent that the plot is very busy, and thick with characters, and yet it works and works well.

Grimlock also gets some character development, finally. He lost his speech impediment in the IDW series (though we get two “me, Grimlocks” in his internal dialogue as in-jokes) but retained his traditional belligerent attitude. Grimlock is and has been a character who acted based on his own beliefs and goals, while not always taking into account what those around him want, and it comes back to haunt him here. The Dinobots come into conflict with Grimlock, and Swoop briefly abandons the group, before they pull together against the headmaster attack. But it’s Sludge’s near-death that really seems to get through to Grimlock. At the end of the story, he takes responsibility for going awol with the rest of the Dynobot unit, and has seemingly begun to rethink the way he’s lived his life up to this point. He submits to imprisonment by Ultra Magnus without protest, which is something I can’t imagine Grimlock doing in the past.

I loved Shockwave’s part in the story. With a bomb implanted in his chest by Skywatch and with full knowledge that it will be detonated within a certain time if not shut off, he goes to free Soundwave and essentially does as much harm to Skywatch as he can. In one story, Skywatch loses all of their controlled Transformers and is left with nothing except a damaged reputation, just in time for Spike to help run the group in the ongoing series. I loved Shockwave’s exchange with the guy who sent him to stop Grimlock. “Do you know how much damage I could do in 24 hours?” Ha. He’s not too impressed with the humans.

Scorponok’s real head turns up, and is key to defeating his plans. I remember Magnus taking a shot at him in the Ultra Magnus spotlight, and it was nice to finally see that incident and its implications revealed. Sunstreaker gets his head back and goes in for repair, the whole experience having left him very scarred and damaged, leading to his actions in All Hail Megatron. Scorponok, Shockwave and Grimlock are arrested by Ultra Magnus, and Soundwave is free to rejoin Megatron, having been freed by Shockwave from his alt mode imprisonment. All very satisfactory.

About the only unsatisfactory thing about the story is how incompetent Scorponok is. From constantly underestimating the Dynobots, to sending Hot Rod out to be shot rather than doing it himself, the whole situation goes out of his control because Scorponok is way too overconfident. Or rather, the human in the headmaster unit is too overconfident. He did very well in setting up the whole situation with the Machinations and the headmasters, but blew it big time by throwing caution to the wind and openly trying to expose and destroy Skywatch.

Otherwise, I really enjoyed the story. It’s great to see so many of the storylines set up back when I was first reading regularly finally get tied up, though I doubt the original plan was to do so in only five issues. After lots of slow, steady buildup, it all comes to a head in five short issues. And for the most part, the story is successful and interesting, and the characters are used well. “Maximum Dinobots” is well worth reading.