PDA

View Full Version : Toy Reselling now technically illegal as of Feb. 10th 2009

secretcode
2009-01-07, 04:22 PM
http://www.kvue.com/news/top/stories/0 10609kvue-kids_lead-me.466a87af.html

"On February 10, 2009 it will be illegal toresale any used children's products including toys and clothing.That is according to the U.S. Consumer Protection & SafetyCommission who pushed for the new laws after dozens of toys were recalled in 2008 because of lead concerns.

Toys, clothing and other items used by children under 12 will be subjected to lead testing and will have to have labels on them to prove that they have passed inspection.

What is raising the ire of parents and business owners far and wide is what this will mean to clothing, toys and other children products made before February 10, 2009.

Gary Walthall, the owner of Once upon a Child, a resale shop specializing in children's clothing and other items, is afraid that he'll have to close up shop.

Adding to the confusion and frustration is the fact that the U.S. Consumer Products and Safety Commission is not returning calls or e-mails to the countless re-salers and even journalists who have tried in vain to get clarification on what the law means to garage sales and how it will be enforced."

Goodbye eBay, BigBadToyStore, Garage Sales, Flea Markets, Pound Shops, Convention Dealer Rooms, etc.

Heinrad
2009-01-07, 04:35 PM
It won't kill them. Unfortunately, everything will now have to be MIB to be sold.

Good thing I got my SDF-1 when I did........

secretcode
2009-01-07, 04:38 PM
"will have to have labels on them to prove that they have passed inspection."

That won't be as bad I guess, but an easy way around it is the "Children 12 and under thing" as most adult collectors won't need inspection.''

Also: The third-party testing requirement only applies to toys manufactured after September 2008.

borg72
2009-01-07, 05:26 PM
"will have to have labels on them to prove that they have passed inspection."

That won't be as bad I guess, but an easy way around it is the "Children 12 and under thing" as most adult collectors won't need inspection.''

Also: The third-party testing requirement only applies to toys manufactured after September 2008.

"this is a collectors item intended for people aged 12 and over".

and don't you have to be over a certain age to have online auction accounts anyway?

lack of clarification - to anyone - suggests that implementing enforcement of this has not even been considered, and that they are just realising how much of a task they've just bitten off.

Rattrap's tail
2009-01-07, 05:33 PM
"this is a collectors item intended for people aged 12 and over".

and don't you have to be over a certain age to have online auction accounts anyway?

lack of clarification - to anyone - suggests that implementing enforcement of this has not even been considered, and that they are just realising how much of a task they've just bitten off.

I think to prevent children from buying stuff they shoulden't see like p**n, because the children can't be misled into buying stuff like cars(heard a story of 3 year old in England buying a pink Nissan Micra with the use of the creditcard from daddy). And probably because they just need something to be forbidden. In this case it sure looks like Holland were the government is not only filling up the maze's of our laws but also making new laws to forbid us even more. We can do almost nothing what we like(d) and could since a few days...

snavej
2009-01-07, 05:55 PM
Another crazy law! Now the trade in contaminated toys will have to go underground (where there's more lead)!

Clay
2009-01-07, 06:13 PM
Goodbye eBay, BigBadToyStore, Garage Sales, Flea Markets, Pound Shops, Convention Dealer Rooms, etc.

It's a non-issue. They already circumvent this. (http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=HAS16154&mode=retail)

Safety Warning: This Product is for Adult Collectors. It may contain sharp points, small parts that are choking hazards, and other elements that are not suitable for children under 16 years of age.

It might have an impact on consignment shops that resale clothing, but I don't see how it'll affect toy collectors and the associated outlets at all.

Sades
2009-01-07, 07:12 PM
Hahaha, the title nearly made my heart stop.

Fearmonger!

Cliffjumper
2009-01-07, 07:37 PM
Yeh, this will have no effect. I try to remember to run with age disclaimers anyway, just because you always get some twat who buys a vintage figure and gives it to their 3 year old spawn, and is then surprised when they destroy the thing.

That and, y'know, I'm not American, and 99.99% of American toy buyers are too xenophobic to ever import, so I personally couldn't give a toss either way. Aren't I a darling?

Catalyst Dragon
2009-01-07, 08:47 PM
Hahaha, the title nearly made my heart stop.

Fearmonger!

No S***! I almost was afraid to read the thread!

As for Cliffys last statement... I only can speak for my self when i say that as an american I don't import because of any form of xenophobia, I don't because it cost to damn much!

Honestly though I agree that the majority of "Americans" today are xenophobic twat's, and mostly parents, and most of these should never be allowed to breed in the first place, it's because of this crap that laws like this and Orange Barrel Plugs are ruining our fun!

Rattrap's tail
2009-01-07, 09:00 PM
No S***! I almost was afraid to read the thread!

As for Cliffys last statement... I only can speak for my self when i say that as an american I don't import because of any form of xenophobia, I don't because it cost to damn much!

Honestly though I agree that the majority of "Americans" today are xenophobic twat's, and mostly parents, and most of these should never be allowed to breed in the first place, it's because of this crap that laws like this and Orange Barrel Plugs are ruining our fun!

I am not an Americain to but according to YOUR last statement combined with Cliffy's is 99.99 percent of the population of your land gonna disappear in just one generation. What do you think what the effect will be on Wall Street and other places????

SenahBirdR
2009-01-08, 04:30 AM
I agree that quite a few of my fellow Americans are xenophobic and lacking in mental faculties. That is why laws like this come into being. When the "scandals" of foreign goods, Chinese or otherwise, failing our safety standards and causing deaths broke I was a bit stunned. Not that the foreign goods were potentially dangerous, but that US companies thought they could rely on the quality assurance and testing of their oversees facilities without extra oversight... I worked in a company that had 100% of its product produced in China. They did testing, then we did testing. Foreign countries have foreign cultures and also foreign standards. Its one of the well known costs of cheap foreign production that extra money needs be spend to set up reliable on site testing that is regularly confirmed or to set up testing procedures in the destination country. Otherwise you are just asking for trouble. Its one thing to accept a country with similarly stringent standards and costs need less or even no personal testing, but if you have something made in a someplace cheaper that isn't acceptable.

DirtDigger324
2009-01-08, 05:16 AM
I am just curious after reading the thread about this situation. I am wondering how this will affect how things will work as it seems that I am still in a faze of collecting both old and new items. I don't want this to go to some underground network because this has been a fun and sobering hobby to engage in. Why is there not enough talk about this and how is this flying under the radar. I live here in the states and it is freaking unbelievable and understandable all at the same time. Understandable because need to be aware of things that are not taken care of for their children sake and we as a people and government do have a responsibility to our children even though we are not doing that great a job without regulating toys and etc. People make livings off of these long lost artifacts so what now? Well I ranted respond and help me figure this one out for my collecting sake.

secretcode
2009-01-08, 05:32 AM
laws like this and Orange Barrel Plugs are ruining our fun!

Orange Barrels are safety precautions so law enforcement officers can tell if it's real or a toy gun.

Most of you guys are just overreacting big time (I did at first, but such is life). As Clay pointed out, stores can easily avoid this by issuing a statement that they are for collectors, and 99% of the time, that's how it is with online stores. Borg also pointed out that for eBay, most of the time you need to have a certain age (Which can easily be lied about) for auctions and if anything this is just news that is unclarified.

I am not an Americain to but according to YOUR last statement combined with Cliffy's is 99.99 percent of the population of your land gonna disappear in just one generation. What do you think what the effect will be on Wall Street and other places????

Ummm, what? That didn't make any sense...

secretcode
2009-01-08, 07:34 AM
I'm just going to recap this, and more or less put some questions at bay on this one before people react even worse and try to form an Underground Railroad for toy collecting or claiming this as a major economic blow to the world (http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/new-toy-law-to-adversely-affect-collectors-market/14922/).

- On Feb. 10th 2009, it will be illegal to resell any used children's products (Toys, Clothing, Video Games, Diapers, etc.) that were manufactured after September 2008 for any business or retailer.

- This was caused by the massive lead-poisoning scare in the last year or so.

- Toys after that date will have to have third-party tests done on them and will have to be labeled to show they have passed inspection.

- Stores such as BBTS will not be effected due to their new "Collector's Item" status on every item.

- In fact, the law mainly pertains to retailers. Sec105, 1, D, ii (http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h110-4040)states a retailer as not including "an individual whose selling activity is intermittent and does not constitute a trade or business." more or less keeping eBayers out of reach of this law if they don't put a disclaimer.

Catalyst Dragon
2009-01-08, 08:40 AM
Orange Barrels are safety precautions so law enforcement officers can tell if it's real or a toy gun.

I know why their there... but if some Ignorant cop hadn't gotten over zealous and shot a five year old to death in the first place... what made him think a 5-7 year old kid had a real gun, out playing in the street with other kids?

Cliffjumper
2009-01-08, 01:49 PM
You're an idiot.

Treadshot A1
2009-01-08, 02:19 PM
- In fact, the law mainly pertains to retailers. Sec105, 1, D, ii (http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h110-4040)states a retailer as not including "an individual whose selling activity is intermittent and does not constitute a trade or business." more or less keeping eBayers out of reach of this law if they don't put a disclaimer.

I know this will sound stupid, but i'm just wondering what will happen to Ebay stores. Having a store set up isn't technically 'intermittent', so to speak, is it? Just a bit confused.

Rattrap's tail
2009-01-08, 02:34 PM

Most of you guys are just overreacting big time (I did at first, but such is life). As Clay pointed out, stores can easily avoid this by issuing a statement that they are for collectors, and 99% of the time, that's how it is with online stores. Borg also pointed out that for eBay, most of the time you need to have a certain age (Which can easily be lied about) for auctions and if anything this is just news that is unclarified.

Ummm, what? That didn't make any sense...

Just a reply to Catalyst Dragon and Cliffy's statements. Maybe doesn't it really make sense but does that really matter???

RID Scourge
2009-01-08, 05:37 PM
I know why their there... but if some Ignorant cop hadn't gotten over zealous and shot a five year old to death in the first place... what made him think a 5-7 year old kid had a real gun, out playing in the street with other kids?

A 5-7 year old could easily get ahold of a gun in his house and/or there are plenty of youths joining gangs these days.

Easy enough to get ahold of a gun, and cops are trained not to take any chances. If they see a gun being aimed at them, they'll fire. It's not like on tv where they try to talk the criminal out of pointing the gun. They won't give them a chance to shoot if they're threatened.

secretcode
2009-01-08, 06:14 PM
More clarification:
http://www.toyassociation.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Latest_Headlines1&Template=/CM/HTMLDisplay.cfm&ContentID=6839

wolfbolt86
2009-01-08, 08:29 PM
More clarification:
http://www.toyassociation.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Latest_Headlines1&Template=/CM/HTMLDisplay.cfm&ContentID=6839

At least the reselling of video games isn't going to be affected by the looks of that article. I understand the reasoning for the thing, but to make a complete ban on everything seems overkill. How long before ebay has to make people put up the disclaimer?

Dealing with Cliffjumpers' post, I have imported a couple of times. I'm not xenophobic, i'm just looking for the cheapest option most of the time.

secretcode
2009-01-08, 08:35 PM
That's how I am. If I had the money, sure. I'd love to grab a few of the Henkei toys. It's not about it being from another nation, it's just since there is a cheaper alternative that is just as good most of the time I can usually skip it.

S_Windell
2009-01-11, 01:38 AM

Precedents?

Shooting the kid was likely unnecessary, but c'mon...