PDA

View Full Version : Dear god, Movie Leader Megatron is THAT BAD

Knightdramon
2009-01-23, 12:49 PM
I can't say I hadn't been warned about him, got one for 30 USD [Premium edition] a while ago and received him yesterday.

First transformation was a nightmare, the pelvis\crotch plastic was already stressed, the jet mode, however, was nice and that screaming engine...WOW.

Today I tried to transform him again for fun...and almost ended up throwing him to a wall. One leg snapped onto the wing wrongly and would not come out! I almost thought I'd break the figure.

I really tried to pull off a decent pose in robot mode but failed to get the head to look right when looking to the sides. The otherwise fabulous arm cannon is cursed by the fact that you need to keep it open with your hand on the lever [WTF], and the spring on the other "mace" arm does not work.

I already expected a minor piece of crap when I ordered him, but had I gotten him with the rest of the movie figures back in 2007, I would have cursed the stars for its existence.

Megatron's so bad, it makes the perfect Brawl and Prime look like masterpieces compared to him.

Let's hope that BBTS is in the mood for buying a loose Megatron, otherwise it might just go in the trash.

Treadshot A1
2009-01-23, 12:58 PM
I'm not surprised you're having problems with his mace. It's a manufacturing error, and i'm pretty sure it's quite common, at least on the non premium version. I heard you just take it apart and rearrange a few things. I've never had one myself, but that's what i've heard.

Clay
2009-01-23, 03:36 PM
It's not terrific, no. I re-read the review I wrote (alliteration, w00t!), and I used the word compromise pretty frequently.

The thing that really makes Megatron stand in contrast to Brawl or Prime is that they're basically boxes that turn into humanoids, and the designers have been making toys like that for the past 270 years. Megatron, on the other hand, is far more abstract in shape, not to mention it has to mimic what appears in the film the best it can.

If you compare it to something else that's pointy, say Armada Starscream (http://www.tfarchive.com/toys/reviews/arm_starscream.php), you can see that it's normally okay to just hide the legs in the fuselage and have the wings stick out for the robot. Megatron doesn't have a fuselage, and the wings are supposed to go away for the robot, so the results for any of the toys are going to be mixed, having to trade off one mode for the other.

I do agree that Megatron is the weakest of the three leader toys released for the first movie, but I disagree that it's flat-out horrible. Trying to follow Megatron's cgi model for a transforming toy is far more of a challenge than a tank or truck, and I think the designers did the best they could with what they had to work with.

Detective Barricade
2009-01-24, 12:34 AM
Yeah, Leader Megatron isn't awful, he's just stuck having to remotely resemble the CGI model, which wasn't possible without some big compromises. I just don't turn his legs for alt mode, as it's far too difficult to do for the end result. I also switched the spring in the cannon into his right arm, which conveniently had a peg for the spring to go onto. That does make quite a difference, IMO.

I just hope that IF RotF comes out with a new Leader Megatron, it's better than this.

another tf fan
2009-01-24, 12:42 AM
I rather like leader Megs. He is disgusting and violent looking which is everything a villian needs.

I never had any hate for all three leader figs from the movie, and If it wasn't for the upcoming ROTF leader Prime I would still be voting for 2007 Leader Prime as the best prime mold ever.

(Yeah yeah, MP Prime is a fantastic robot but his alt mode has serious issues. 2007 Leader Prime's Truck looked great.)

...Hey I love my Leader class Bawl, that is one kick ass looking robot.

Treadshot A1
2009-01-24, 02:07 AM
So, basically, get the voyager megs, imo. :lol:

Detective Barricade
2009-01-24, 02:50 AM
The highest price point and the lowest price point (AKA Leader and Legends) are the most accurate. FAB and Voyager are to be ignored.:p

another tf fan
2009-01-24, 03:30 AM
Did adult collectors buy FAB?

I got the green ratchet for my nephew, but never any for myself.

Treadshot A1
2009-01-24, 04:03 AM
Did adult collectors buy FAB?

I got the green ratchet for my nephew, but never any for myself.

Well, you couldn't get a transforming frenzy (i don't consider the one with barricade as 'transformin' much) outside of FAB

Metallic Voyager Megs was OK, but, yeah, Legends is awesome.

numbat
2009-01-25, 07:31 PM
The highest price point and the lowest price point (AKA Leader and Legends) are the most accurate. FAB and Voyager are to be ignored.:p
Totally on the money!

Legends Megs is great!

But Leader Megs is the topic here, and, to be fair, I really like the guy. I think it does an excellent job (well, the best possible!) of reproducing the incredibly complex Movie design. The robot mode suffers the most, and the transformation is a bit of a nightmare - along the same lines as Cybertron Soundwave, but, in my opinion, not nearly so fiddly!

And he is capable of some great poses, and has alright balance. The trouble is those flimsy legs, and the rigid head. Still, you can do this with him (with no support):

http://www.tfarchive.com/toys/reviews/images/mov_megatron_robot2.jpg

Frankly, this is one of my favourite Megatron figures!

Knightdramon
2009-01-25, 09:13 PM
Heh, I've managed a similar pose before I packed him up.

Let me clarify two things-I DON'T care how he looks in jet mode. I DON'T care that his legs end up beneath the wings. I really liked the jet mode.

I DO care that he has very limiting [not limited, catch my drift] articulation.

I do care that it appears I'm going to break his legs or stress the hell out of the plastic for trying to bend them into ungodly positions in order to lock them in jet mode.

Moreover, the head fins on mine appear to have snapped at places.

I believe an extra joint at the waist or more joints at the legs would ease the transformation sequence [really, unlike Prime or Brawl, you'd be able to transform him real fast if not for those legs] and an extra joint at the head platform or a different design would do the trick. Oh and...different automorph on the legs, maybe mimicking Prime's, giving him poseable ankles.

Sunstreaker2
2009-01-25, 09:22 PM
It's a good thing Brawl and Prime compensate for Megatron's awfulness, eh?

Treadshot A1
2009-01-26, 12:54 AM
Frankly, this is one of my favourite Megatron figures!

:eek: :eyebrow: :nonono:

That basically sums it up. I still like Voyager. Especially the Metallic one. Over this, at any rate.

To quote someone (i forgot who it was) "it's the right size, at the right time!" "It's so not, is it?!"

Catalyst Dragon
2009-01-26, 06:23 AM
I'm not a fan of the leader class Megs... although I have two.

And I haven't really paid any attention to Voyager Megatron when I've seen him in stores.

I like his Bot mode significantly better than Alt mode. When I first got him I spent close to 20 min. fiddling with his legs, got him into jet mode, got annoyed that the legs were under the wings, although I can't think of whereelse they would have put them, they still annoy me simply on the principal of aerodynamics.

So Mine is kept in Robot mode when on display.

borg72
2009-01-26, 06:17 PM
i have the premium version, off ebay for 30gbp (birthday present to self).

I think that most of the faults lie in the fact that the designers werre aiming two different directions with this one... the 'toy' elements and the 'adult collectors' elements interfere with each other to the point where it fails on both levels, albeit not in any one huge way.

as a toy, its too complicated. the legs are a nightmare, and the pegs/ratchets are (on mine at least) inordinately stiff. i know people complained about the longth of time it took to transform leader prime, but with practice, that gets (much) easier. this doesn't.

but as a 'sit on shelf with cool poses' it also fails. the toy elements mean that you can't pose it very well, and the articulation is limited. what IS there is not optimized, as the bends in the arms don't look right. the gun is on a spring - cool for playing with, but you can't display with it. and the light and sound elements (which are massively bulky) remove a lot of opportunity for a better transformation that would have given increased poseability.

its not a total fail (the two poses i've gotten aren't bad), but between its flaws, i'd say its a general miss. if you want a toy, go for (premium) voyager megs. if you want a shelf-piece, its a maybe at best.