PDA

View Full Version : Tom Strong

Cliffjumper
2009-02-01, 10:33 PM
Just finished reading this for the first time, and it was for the most part very good fun, with some great deadpan humour and some awesome ideas (The Modular Man is great!), and a few top-hole stories (loved the one with Saveen in the desert... saw the punchline a while off, but it was really nicely done)/

Only (and there's always an 'only' with me, miserable sod aren't I?)... why did they let other people write it? "Oh, Alan Moore's busy... who's the next best thing? Jerry cocking Ordway of course, it's so obvious. Or Ed bloody Brubaker, that'll work!". Fools. Actually quite sullied the thing, it'd be like letting Chuck Austen near Miracleman or something.

rattrap23
2009-02-02, 12:54 AM
In an interview with Fanboy radio Alan said that he wasn’t so much concerned about reaching the deadlines for the publishers. As he put it

In five years when someone’s flipping trough the trade for League, their not gonna say “boy this is pretty good, its to bad that Kevin O’Neil realised issue 5 late”.*
He said that he was more concerned for the artists that had a deadline to make.

So I wouldn’t blame Moore, he was just looking out for his artists at ABC.

*That quote might not be word for word correct but that’s the gist of it.

Cliffjumper
2009-02-02, 05:38 AM
Erm.... que?

Blaster
2009-02-02, 05:47 AM
Erm.... que?

Out of curiosity, do you actually care what he meant?

Cliffjumper
2009-02-02, 01:56 PM
Out of curiosity, do you actually care what he meant?

Not so much. Mildly intrigued, perhaps, as to what sort of connection beyond "Alan Moore" it had with what I posted.

Halfshell
2009-02-02, 02:00 PM
Maybe it's tied to why other people were allowed to write it? Because Moore wasn't keen on deadlines?

Possibly?

Maybe?

Cliffjumper
2009-02-02, 02:13 PM
But seeing as ABC is his own label and he can basically make up his deadlines (as with 'League') surely he could just not put out a Tom Strong?

Hound
2009-02-02, 08:33 PM
Have you read Top 10 yet?

rattrap23
2009-02-02, 10:43 PM
But seeing as ABC is his own label and he can basically make up his deadlines (as with 'League') surely he could just not put out a Tom Strong?

http://www.fanboyradio.com/2006/11/

Alan Moore talks about it on this podcast.

The best book in ABC was Promethea. Probably the most experimental mainstream book of its time. The characterisation and experimentation of form made for a truly unique reading experience.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America's_Best_Comics