PDA

View Full Version : A heady mix of OCD and bad photography...

Cliffjumper
2009-02-06, 10:46 PM
Oh yes, I been collecting like a mad thing.

Firstly, I spent about 150 on the Chogokin DX Dairugger XV... It's a fun little toy, loads of diecast and with passable articulation, just a shame Popy didn't put another five links in so it can totally separate into all 15 vehicles.

http://counter-x.net/temp/dairuggers_t.jpg (http://counter-x.net/temp/dairuggers.jpg)

[l-r Matchbox Deluxe Voltron; Chogokin DX Dairugger XV; Miniature Voltron]

And then there's the 300 or so I've spent on Tomy Ideons. The best thing is the way the Tomy figures were all released at around the same time, and look nothing like each other...

http://counter-x.net/temp/ideons_t.jpg (http://counter-x.net/temp/ideons.jpg)
[l-r Ideon Diecast, Ideon DX, Sound Blaster Ideon, Miracle Combination Ideon, Soul of Chogokin Ideon]

Sunstreaker2
2009-02-07, 01:50 AM
I wonder why you always buy the obscure stuff.

Ackula
2009-02-07, 01:57 AM
The picture of Amber Benson totally distracts me from looking at anything else in the images. I don't know about those robots, but damn she is beautiful ;)

inflatable dalek
2009-02-07, 09:46 AM
Awwww, look at the ickle Ideon.

Cliffjumper
2009-02-07, 10:39 AM
Wait til I get the Kubrick one photographed... so cute.

Ackula
2009-02-07, 11:24 AM
Why is that one called "soundblaster" Ideon? Does it have some sort of noise making gimmick or what?

inflatable dalek
2009-02-07, 12:41 PM
As a general point, that Ideon guide is insanely detailed considering I think it was only a few months between you saying "I'm doing this" to the finished job. Mind, I have no knowledge of the oriignal so it may be full of lies but it certainly looks definative.

Cliffjumper
2009-02-07, 01:06 PM
Why is that one called "soundblaster" Ideon? Does it have some sort of noise making gimmick or what?

Ohhh yes, it bleeps, buzzes and flashes. And weirdly has better articulation, sculpting and features than the diecast DX. (http://counter-x.net/ideon/merchandise/tomy_sound_flasher/index.html)

As a general point, that Ideon guide is insanely detailed considering I think it was only a few months between you saying "I'm doing this" to the finished job. Mind, I have no knowledge of the oriignal so it may be full of lies but it certainly looks definative.

Cheers! It took about 5/6 weeks... It was interesting working on something as a complete section, and it probably saved me a lot of time building all the sections up as I went along rather than having to watch the whole series again to see what, say, Sheryl was doing or when the Ganga Lubu first turned up. It's built very much as finished work, aside from the merchandise section, my ongoing quest to find colour character models for those who don't currently have them and tacking on a gallery or two. It's got some good feedback from Ideon fans for being a detailed English-language resource as well, which is always nice.

The only problem with episode-based guides is complete work is about the only way to do them, otherwise the workload gets bigger as you have to double-back and update things in. I did start one for the remake of Tetsujin 28, but it didn't really fit the format very well and is currently in limbo. I kinda wish I'd taken a more disciplined approach to the Who reviews, to be honest, so maybe I'd know what the hell to do with that bit...

inflatable dalek
2009-02-07, 05:00 PM
It's got some good feedback from Ideon fans for being a detailed English-language resource as well, which is always nice.

Would it be the case that, as with Gobots, you're number one in a field of one again? ;) Not the sort of thing I'm usually interested in (and even if I were I'd never have the time to watch it. I've still got forty odd Danger Man episodes to work through. There's something very right about Peter Bowles being the baddy in the first one, so ITC) but as a fan of franchise guides in general it does stand out.

I kinda wish I'd taken a more disciplined approach to the Who reviews, to be honest, so maybe I'd know what the hell to do with that bit...

Concentrate on the classic stuff in blocks of seasons perhaps?

Cliffjumper
2009-02-07, 06:05 PM
There is another English lanuage guide at mahq.net. I found it to be a little dry myself, which was the main reason I did mine. The world needs to know what a wonderful bitch Sheryl is.

I've considered doing the methodical approach to Who, but there are two main drawbacks - one is that I don't have it all (not worried about missing episodes, I believe there are workable recons for pretty much all of those; more bread-and-butter BBC releases); the other is that there are big expanses of the series that I just don't like and would be a bit too much like hard work to do... Putting the boot into the odd Pertwe can be fun, but writing 15-20 consecutive reviews doing that would probably be wearing for me and anyone reading.

Plus the button wouldn't fit on the menu... it'd have to wait until I'd done another three sections as well ;)

inflatable dalek
2009-02-08, 10:38 AM
Plus the button wouldn't fit on the menu... it'd have to wait until I'd done another three sections as well ;)

Ah, that'll be buggered then. There can't be another three obscure giant robot toylines out there.

Btw, if you ever get the chance to see it I think you'd get a kick out of the Danger Man episode Don't Hang Him Yet, Drake has to pretend to be a Fulham fan and even goes to a game (well, sits in a studio mock up of a stadium and watches some stock footage that may not even be Fulham for all I know). Just ignore the fact the real Fulham fan is a whiney pathetic double agent.

Cliffjumper
2009-02-09, 04:07 PM
Yeh, I think I've seen that one :) Fair play to them for not making up a team was my main thought...

I've come up with a way for the SoC Ideon to hold the Ideon Gun! Had to cheat a bit, though...

inflatable dalek
2009-02-09, 09:16 PM
Yeh, I think I've seen that one :) Fair play to them for not making up a team was my main thought...

What made me smile most is the way McGoohan seems to be the one member of the cast who refuses to say "socer" instead of football. Lots of nice location work round the post office tower as well that makes it look as if they're about to run into Hartnell at any second.

I've come up with a way for the SoC Ideon to hold the Ideon Gun! Had to cheat a bit, though...

Awwwwwww. There's probably a overpriced IDW hardback in the adventures of the little fellow.

angloconvoy
2009-02-13, 05:16 AM
There's a new super-deformed Ideon in the shops over here now. Its a little thing, costs about two quid.