PDA

View Full Version : New(Old) Legos

ganon578
2009-02-26, 05:51 PM
Walking through TRU the other day (my wife actually asked if I wanted to go since we were in the area; isn't that a rhetorical question?) and I haven't collected Legos in a long while. As I passed through the Lego aisle, I noticed a trend of old legos (early 1990's) making their way back to the shelves in a somewhat updated form. Pirates were back complete with Captain Redbeard and I also noticed that the castle sets have come back in a somewhat classic fashion with old helmet moulds and such.

Has anyone else noticed this trend? If this continues, what other kinds of old Legos would you like to see come out? My vote goes for the Blacktron II/M:Tron sets!

electro girl
2009-02-27, 12:53 PM
I think most Lego is cyclical in a roundabout sort of way. We always see town sets, Bionicle seems to be a continuing evolution of the old Slizer sets, the miners are returning and Star wars sets are updated a bit.

As a kid I enjoyed the old UFO stuff and had the large flying saucer thing, the new Mission to mars sets seem to be some kind of update/merger with the exploriens that my brother had. But I wouldn,t mind seeing a return of the ninjas because I missed them the first time around and I'd like the old Sam Grant egeptian stuff aswell as I love the style of the old machines.

Slayer-Fan123
2009-02-27, 07:41 PM
I have noticed this as well.
I like the new pirates.
I am not a fan of the new bionicles; they have no personality.

Blacktron and those insectoid things would be awsome to bring back.
We also need Life On Mars back, the new ones don't cut it.
More giant robots pretty much.

electro girl
2009-02-27, 07:47 PM
I am not a fan of the new bionicles; they have no personality.

True true, the beuty of the originals was that they were accessable to kids and easily interchangable and customised. Now they're just to complex and to didtant from the early days.

ganon578
2009-02-27, 08:32 PM
Not too much into the Bionicles. I had some about 8 years ago, back when they first started, and I thought they were very cool. Sold them a while back because I lost interest and it seemed like the line just kept plugging along which made it too hard to catch up and get into the new stuff. Nowadays I look at them and they don't interest me.

On the other hand, I see new City stuff and I'm amazed by the detail, even though it, like Castle and Pirates, seems to be a regurgitation of old stuff. I always want to pick up new Legos, but with limited funds that always seem delegated to buying TFs, I just don't have the money. Occasionally when I get a few extra bucks, I'll buy a small set. Even at that, I'll look over the different Lego sets, then determine price and piece count (try to go more bang for the buck). Last time I bought some I picked up a mail van for the City set. Pretty nifty! Now I just wish I had space to build a booming Lego metropolis...

electro girl
2009-02-28, 05:44 PM
I look at some of this new Lego now and think PAH look at all this detail and smoothness, if a kid swallowed this it wouldnt even shred their throat on thr way down let along kill them.

Cliffjumper
2009-03-01, 10:37 AM
The plural is Lego, FFS. There's no 's'.

The City stuff is purdy and all, but the switch to a more realistic scale has basically killed off me purchasing any of it apart from stuff like boats. If I put one of those big helicopters or something at my airport it'll make all my vintage ones look ridiculous. My other problem is I wish they'd do some more normal stuff other than emergency services, construction stuff and airports, but that's never going to happen (they'd cranked it back 20 years ago).

Wouldn't mind the harbour at all, though. Or the little Post plane, as I find the Post Office stuff awesome beyond belief for some reason.

ganon578
2009-03-01, 03:04 PM
The plural is Lego, FFS. There's no 's'.

The City stuff is purdy and all, but the switch to a more realistic scale has basically killed off me purchasing any of it apart from stuff like boats. If I put one of those big helicopters or something at my airport it'll make all my vintage ones look ridiculous. My other problem is I wish they'd do some more normal stuff other than emergency services, construction stuff and airports, but that's never going to happen (they'd cranked it back 20 years ago).

Wouldn't mind the harbour at all, though. Or the little Post plane, as I find the Post Office stuff awesome beyond belief for some reason.

I suppose it would have to be Lego 'sets' or 'bricks' to get the plural in there, eh? Lego is the brand. I gotcha.

I totally agree about the emergency vehicles. Every now and then I walk by and think, "I should get a new Lego set", then I see the police car, fire chief, ambulance, etc. Same stuff I had ages ago, just slightly updated. The postal stuff is very cool, btw.

On your 'normal stuff' idea, I think it would be cool to see things like the little vacation cabins and whatnot that they used to sell in the '80s. Those little sets had a lot of charm for some reason. :)

Zeeks
2009-03-01, 09:49 PM
This is the dude I want back from my childhood:

http://gizmodo.com/photogallery/LEGO50space/1000592349

Had it, put it together all by my weeself, and have no idea where it ended up. Given away, I suppose.

I was really into the Star Wars Lego stuff about a year ago, but I kinda trailed off, even though it is still mandatory to visit the toy section in Target every time I go. I saw the re-release of the Vader Tie Fighter and almost picked it up.

I found a couple of early 200x sets in a box the other day; one was 7106 Droid Escape, 2001. Never opened it. Debating whether I should leave it as is or put it together.

Savannahtron
2009-03-02, 12:57 PM
Well...I never thought about the plural of Lego either, but the couple of posts about it made me want to Google it..

This was the best answer I found.

Which is correct as the plural of LEGO: 'Lego' or 'Legos'? Neither, actually. The word 'LEGO', when used as a noun, should only refer to the company that makes the product. Otherwise 'LEGO' is supposed to be used as an adjective. Thus, when referring to the pieces, neither 'lego' nor 'legos' is correct... rather one should say: 'LEGO bricks' or 'LEGO pieces' or whatever (using LEGO as an adjective -- and one should really capitalize all of the letters, and put the little 'circle-R' symbol after it ()). This is all a matter of protecting the trademark of 'LEGO' for the company (using it otherwise degenerates the strength of the trademark). This is not to say that I use the word correctly 100% of the time... but that's the answer to the question (it's always fun/painful to read the near-flame-wars that start at slashdot.org over this topic... and generally, both sides are wrong).
http://www.ericharshbarger.org/lego/faq.html

ganon578
2009-03-02, 01:10 PM
Well...I never thought about the plural of Lego either, but the couple of posts about it made me want to Google it..

This was the best answer I found.

Which is correct as the plural of LEGO: 'Lego' or 'Legos'? Neither, actually. The word 'LEGO', when used as a noun, should only refer to the company that makes the product. Otherwise 'LEGO' is supposed to be used as an adjective. Thus, when referring to the pieces, neither 'lego' nor 'legos' is correct... rather one should say: 'LEGO bricks' or 'LEGO pieces' or whatever (using LEGO as an adjective -- and one should really capitalize all of the letters, and put the little 'circle-R' symbol after it ()). This is all a matter of protecting the trademark of 'LEGO' for the company (using it otherwise degenerates the strength of the trademark). This is not to say that I use the word correctly 100% of the time... but that's the answer to the question (it's always fun/painful to read the near-flame-wars that start at slashdot.org over this topic... and generally, both sides are wrong).
http://www.ericharshbarger.org/lego/faq.html

Interesting. I can't believe people actually get into arguments/wars over something like this. Either way you use it, they're frickin' cool!!!

Savannahtron
2009-03-02, 11:49 PM
Interesting. I can't believe people actually get into arguments/wars over something like this. Either way you use it, they're frickin' cool!!!

I never thought about it much either. Apparently LEGO is also capitalized as well. I used to have LEGO sets as a kid, but never really dug it as much as other toys. My kids are not really into LEGO sets either...kind of one of those things where I don't buy them because I don't want to step on one at 2 am...and jam my foot up :)

Zeeks
2009-03-03, 02:31 AM

Exactly. And that is all that really matters. All Caps, no caps, "s", no "s"....not really something to get all worked up about, no?

ganon578
2009-03-10, 01:22 PM
Check this out:

LEGO Farm (http://city.lego.com/en-us/Products/Farm/Default.aspx)

Good to see some "normal" stuff coming out. I was at TRU this weekend and saw it in person. Pretty nifty, just wish I had money and space... :D

ERCP
2009-05-12, 07:55 AM
Back in the day, I wanted the big pirate ship. My parents decided to be cheap and only got me the small one. ;_;

The other day I saw the big one.

I'm weighing up whether I should get it. It shoudl sit there for a while, its supposed to be a recession on, what parent would buy their brat a 370$ plastic boat?

Patapsco
2009-05-12, 12:10 PM
I've gone back to the Technic sets after seeing the Off-Roader/Truck set in Hamleys and building it the pub, and have subsequently got about 6 different sets, most of which get dismantled and rebuilt once a week (except the larger Flat Bed/Loader truck set which atkes about 4 hours to dismantle and re-assemble). Am currently dropping subtle hints to my family to shell out for some of the larger 1000 piece plus Technic sets for my birthday

ganon578
2009-05-12, 12:54 PM
I used to have a bunch of Technic stuff back in the day. I sold it a while back on eBay since I never used it at all. Had I known you were a Technic junkie, woulda kept it around to sell it to you.

Anyways, I haven't been much into putting money into Lego sets. It's one of those choices that I can never decide on because they're usually somewhat expensive. However, the new castle sets with orcs and such have made me want them, plus the Pirate sets have also piqued my interest.

The giant pirate ship is awesome, just can't bring myself to put out the cash for it... :(

another tf fan
2009-05-14, 01:53 AM
The technic stuf was at a zenith for me with the 1988 Auto Chassis. That was a monster kit and pretty much the last one I got. Spent all X-Mas day putting it together and actually left it together for several weeks. What a great set.

I also had the 1985 Airport. one of the bigger sets of it's day. I still have my legos but haven't bought any sets since the 1999 release of the X-Wing fighter. Bought the cool '99 Naboo fighter too, long before I saw Phantom Menace.

I have noticed the city sets getting big again and it warms my heart but doesn't pryopen my wallet.

Patapsco
2009-05-14, 09:21 AM
did the Auto Chassis have the working cylinder engine and gearbox? Cos if it did I had that one too and that was an awesome set.

Gouki
2009-05-15, 08:11 AM
Space Police is coming back this year, it looks okay. Lacks the snazzy colours and style of the old Space Police but I'm hoping this means Ice Planet 2002 can make a comeback one day.

Maybe Ninja and Adventure stuff (specifically the Egyptian sets), too.

ganon578
2009-05-15, 02:50 PM
Space Police is coming back this year, it looks okay. Lacks the snazzy colours and style of the old Space Police but I'm hoping this means Ice Planet 2002 can make a comeback one day.

Maybe Ninja and Adventure stuff (specifically the Egyptian sets), too.

Space Police? Awesome! And Ice Planet had some nice sets in there too, although I only owned one or two of the smallest sets...

another tf fan
2009-05-16, 12:43 AM
did the Auto Chassis have the working cylinder engine and gearbox? Cos if it did I had that one too and that was an awesome set.

Yep, it did.

mechanical flip-up headlights too. and some of the largest wheels/tires to ever be put on those tiny, four-splined axles.

electro girl
2009-05-26, 09:10 PM
http://space.lego.com/en-US/default.aspx

What do you suppose this is?

Sades
2009-05-27, 05:56 AM
I want Aquanauts back! We went LEGO shopping this week at TRU- most of the old sets I loved as a kid are back, the one I really want to see is Aquanauts. I need Aquanauts to complete my city!

We're currently buying up the Pirate and Castle sets to create a diorama. I am going to see if I can find a big bucket of extra Castle pieces at a garage sale or something and I'm going to create a tavern/stables for weary travellers, where the adventuring party can rest, just like I did when I was a kid and was playng LEGO with my brothers and cousin. It's gonna be awesome.

(I ran the stables, 'cause I rocked.)

Man those big, flat grey/green mats would have come in handy back in the day.

Gouki
2009-05-27, 09:24 AM
I want Aquanauts back! We went LEGO shopping this week at TRU- most of the old sets I loved as a kid are back, the one I really want to see is Aquanauts. I need Aquanauts to complete my city!

We're currently buying up the Pirate and Castle sets to create a diorama. I am going to see if I can find a big bucket of extra Castle pieces at a garage sale or something and I'm going to create a tavern/stables for weary travellers, where the adventuring party can rest, just like I did when I was a kid and was playng LEGO with my brothers and cousin. It's gonna be awesome.

(I ran the stables, 'cause I rocked.)

Man those big, flat grey/green mats would have come in handy back in the day.

Aquanauts was kind of revived in '07, with Aquaraiders. It stayed on the shelf until '08, and is pretty easy to find them on eBay.

http://space.lego.com/en-US/default.aspx

What do you suppose this is?

Space Police.

Denyer
2009-09-03, 08:32 PM
http://www.scaryideas.com/content/13022/
http://www.scaryideas.com/content/13021/
http://www.scaryideas.com/content/13020/

Cliffjumper
2009-09-03, 10:01 PM
I still maintain that the relative downfall of toys such as Lego over the past 10 years will have worrying trends for future society. It's undoubtedly the greatest educational toy of all time because of the skills it encourages at the same time as being incredible awesome. But no, wait, a Wii allows you to play tennis in your living room...

ganon578
2009-09-04, 02:28 AM
I still maintain that the relative downfall of toys such as Lego over the past 10 years will have worrying trends for future society. It's undoubtedly the greatest educational toy of all time because of the skills it encourages at the same time as being incredible awesome. But no, wait, a Wii allows you to play tennis in your living room...

Hey now, I'm a proud owner and player of the Wii and I still rock some Lego building from time to time. Nowadays though, the wife says I have no room for them to go, so they've been in a box for a while. Once I have a house, it's buildin' time!!!

Seriously though, Lego blocks are top notch for educational toys.

Warcry
2009-09-05, 02:52 PM
Agreed. From what I've seen, though, I think this is a failing on the parents' part more than the kids not being interested in it. I don't think I've ever seen a child who doesn't like playing with Lego in some shape or form, but it seems like fewer and fewer of them actually own any. Most of the parents I know tell me that Lego is just too expensive to be buying regularly (which isn't entirely wrong...a decent-sized set can run you $40+ and a bucket of bricks is pricey these days too), but those same people don't think twice about spending $20 or $40 or more on a video game for the kids.

I suppose video games are 'easier' for parents...they can just park 'em in from of the TV for a few hours and don't need to worry about them making a mess or trying to swallow any of the small pieces that Lego tends to come with.

Of course, there's an easy way to fight the problem, and that's to make a habit of giving Lego as Christmas/birthday gifts to any kids your friends or siblings happen to have (or your own, as the case may be). :)

Cliffjumper
2009-09-05, 04:22 PM
It is a big problem for toys in general... Prices just keep going up, and (while I can't speak for anywhere other than the UK) I feel genuinely sorry for any kid who does like Lego or Transformers, because it's going to cost them a fortune to get anywhere near the amount of stuff as I had as a kid (and we weren' spectacularly well-off or anything). To take Transformers as an example, a Legends figure costs 2-3 times as much as a Minibot or Throttlebot did when I was a kid, ditto for the small Lego sets... It is easy to see why kids end up going over to video games - they're more widely avaliable (in the smallish town I live in, there are two places where I can by Lego... off the top of my head, I can think of a dozen that sell video games, and there are probably more).

Denyer
2009-09-05, 06:37 PM
Add in a strong highstreet second-hand market for games, whereas there's still a bit of a stigma to buying pre-owned toys (until they become collectibles...) and no similar opportunities to trade things in.

Cliffjumper
2009-09-05, 07:10 PM
Yeh, it doesn't help - plus games can be rented too; kids get bored of things fairly quickly, so it makes sense to only rent stuff if possible; you can't do much if your kid gets bored of a toy after a week.

That said, Lego's shot itself in the foot with all the franchised stuff over the years. All the Star Wars/Harry Potter/Indy/Batman stuff is ****ing fab for us lot (Catwoman! Different hairstyles! A bus conductor!), but hits Lego as a concept hard - the kits are less flexible due to the growing amount of unique 'cheat' parts so you can make a halfway accurate X-Wing; it makes the toy just another piece of tie-in merchandise; and encourages kids to think of it as a glorified model kit that can only be made into one thing which can only really be used in a recreation of existing fiction, rather than a construction toy that can be used for whatever the Hell you like.

The City stuff, though, seems to be turning stuff around a little. It's been quite pleasing to see it gradually muscle out the licensed stuff on the shelves... A couple of years ago when I got back into collecting stuff, the closest thing I could find to some normal vehicles was one of the damn Spider-Man sets.

To avert some hypocrisy, I'm fully aware that I build a town largely made up of off-the-shelf kits with only minor customisation, but I'm not 7 years old anymore... And the town is protected by an 18th century garrison who fend off pirates, and has its' own space program. So ner.

Warcry
2009-09-05, 08:00 PM
I won't argue that prices for all sorts of toys have gone up, but (at least in Canada) it seems like Lego is especially noticeable in that regard. That's probably down to the fact that they've always been a lot more expensive than other toys, so a 20% or 30% in the price of a Lego set is a lot more noticeable.

Back in the day, though, my friends and I always had a much easier time getting our parents to shell out for a $40 Lego set than a $5 or $10 toy from any other line because it was 'educational' and inspired a lot of creativity. Nowadays...I dunno. It seems like most (thankfully not all) of the parents I know these days have "What'll get them to shut up the longest?" as the only thought process going through their head when they pick stuff for their kids. And the ones who do buy construction toys for their kids tend to go for cheaper clone brands like MegaBloks, either not knowing or not caring about the huge gulf in quality between Lego and the newer made-in-China brands.

Of course, most stores around here either don't sell Lego at all anymore, or have a token handful of City sets and licenced Star Wars or Indiana Jones stuff. If you want to have a decent selection across all the different themes or just pick up a bucket of plain bricks you need to hit Toys 'R' Us, and even then it can be pretty hit-or-miss if you're looking for a specific set (like I was today, unsuccessfully...grumble, grumble).

On a tangent, I haven't actually noticed TF prices going up that much on this side of the pond. The earliest line I can remember is G2, mind, but the pricing today is only a buck or two higher for similar-sized figures than it was then -- although the product assortment skews a lot more toward larger figures now, with a lot fewer small toys to choose from.

That said, Lego's shot itself in the foot with all the franchised stuff over the years. All the Star Wars/Harry Potter/Indy/Batman stuff is ****ing fab for us lot (Catwoman! Different hairstyles! A bus conductor!), but hits Lego as a concept hard - the kits are less flexible due to the growing amount of unique 'cheat' parts so you can make a halfway accurate X-Wing; it makes the toy just another piece of tie-in merchandise; and encourages kids to think of it as a glorified model kit that can only be made into one thing which can only really be used in a recreation of existing fiction, rather than a construction toy that can be used for whatever the Hell you like.
I would say both yes and no to that. I still qualified as a kid when the first Star Wars sets came out (well, marginally), and me and my cousins got a lot of the first couple waves of sets. Things like X-Wings, A-Wings and other vehicles tended to stay in one piece, but the smaller sets quickly got broken down or absorbed into other things, with the vehicles acting like set pieces that we could build bases or battlefields around.

Also, I distinctly remember thinking the alternate model designs that were included with the X-Wing I bought were awesome at the time, but these days I don't think they bother anymore.

I won't argue about the cheat pieces, though (just look at the huge panels they use for the X-Wing's wings). The newer sets are rather disappointing, too, since they seem to be intent on releasing slight variations of the most recognizable half-dozen vehicles every other year, pretty much running the novelty of the whole thing into the ground.

The City stuff, though, seems to be turning stuff around a little. It's been quite pleasing to see it gradually muscle out the licensed stuff on the shelves... A couple of years ago when I got back into collecting stuff, the closest thing I could find to some normal vehicles was one of the damn Spider-Man sets.
My oldest niece is into the City stuff a bit, and while I was looking at it today to see if there might be anything new that she'd like, I was amazed to see they had so many 'civilian' vehicles available.

Likewise, I've been pleasantly surprised by the way they've turned the Castle line around. Five years ago the entire line was knights wearing brightly coloured armour, with almost noeregular footsoldiers and no civilians in sight. The castles were mostly two-dimensional abominations built from large pieces that more-or-less couldn't be rebuilt into anything other than the recommended set, generally with no backs so that they made better playsets. Most of the smaller sets were, IIRC, ridiculous looking catapults or chariots that, again, were all about being 'fun' with no regard for the look of the model or whether or not its' parts could be reused.

The past three years were such a total reversal of that, it's hard to even describe. The minifigs have gone from looking like Power Rangers to looking like something out of Lord of the Rings (including orcs, dwarves and skeletons), complete with a wide variety of different weapon, armour, shield and helmet designs. The default building designs have more 'play features' built in than any of the ones from when I was a kid and look like realistic castles or forts, with a piece selection that would make it easy to rebuild the sets into other things. Even the siege engines and vehicles are much-improved: the catapults actually look like catapults, they've tossed in a lot of semi-absurd but still cool 'fantasy' vehicles, and one set even includes a siege tower, which I don't think I've ever seen before.

All in all, it's almost as if they hired people who actually knew what they were doing to run the line, but alas it doesn't seem to be selling much better than the last one did.

To avert some hypocrisy, I'm fully aware that I build a town largely made up of off-the-shelf kits with only minor customisation
The hard-core Lego fanboys would gut you for that, but most of them are frothing lunatics, so...

Cliffjumper
2009-09-05, 08:26 PM
I won't argue that prices for all sorts of toys have gone up, but (at least in Canada) it seems like Lego is especially noticeable in that regard. That's probably down to the fact that they've always been a lot more expensive than other toys, so a 20% or 30% in the price of a Lego set is a lot more noticeable.

We seem to have really suffered over here... Toyshops alone have been massacred in this country over the past decade or so, as have "a bit of everything" chains. I'm guessing this has knock-ons - those that still do sell toys can add a couple of pounds on due to the lack of competition, while it's also less profitable for manufacturers/distributors to provide supply, thus raising unit cost. Hell, in the past decade TF toys have really gone up in price - RiD deluxes were 7.99 (which wasn't actually too bad... I seem to remember Classic Heroes were something like 15), Universe Deluxes were, what, 12.99... Pocket money doesn't seem to have gone up in relation by much either, plus kids are growing up more quickly - from a surprising age, kids would be happier with 5 credit on their phones than a 5 Lego set.

[as a tangent, the relative complexity of some TF figures must surely put some kids off... I find Deluxe Movie Bumblebee to be a little frustrating and try to avoid transforming him, what's an eight year-old going to make of the thing? He's just not going to play with it...]

And the ones who do buy construction toys for their kids tend to go for cheaper clone brands like MegaBloks, either not knowing or not caring about the huge gulf in quality between Lego and the newer made-in-China brands.

Mmmm - I've never looked that hard at MegaBloks, but it seems to be even more steeped in big 'one use only' parts than Lego at its' very worst. I'm fairly sure I saw a warship at one point that was just a collection of grey bricks with whacking great big superstructure parts slapped on top. Yeh, have fun building something else out of that...

Also, I distinctly remember thinking the alternate model designs that were included with the X-Wing I bought were awesome at the time, but these days I don't think they bother anymore.

Yeh, this is more what I meant to convey - what newer licensed sets I've seen tend to skimp on suggesting this set could be built as anything other than, say, the Knight Bus. The SW one was probably a little unfair - it was really more an extension of the Space theme in a way. The stuff that gets me more are the sets designed to do nothing other than recreate a certain set piece from a film or something in Lego form, with very little thought as to whether it can be used for much else.

I've got a couple of licensed sets (either from presents or just wanting to buy some Lego and alternatives being low), and the one that really sticks out is a Spider-Man chase set that contains two cars and a big gate. And I tell you what, if you can build anything other than two cars and a big gate out of the parts in the set, I salute you...

My oldest niece is into the City stuff a bit, and while I was looking at it today to see if there might be anything new that she'd like, I was amazed to see they had so many 'civilian' vehicles available.

Yeh, they've even moved away from emergency services and construction... There's farm stuff. There's a damn ordinairy street corner! It's like it's 1986 again.

All in all, it's almost as if they hired people who actually knew what they were doing to run the line, but alas it doesn't seem to be selling much better than the last one did.

I don't know; the Castle stuff has been pretty prominent on the shelves over here, and that they're moving back towards playing things straight in general is a good sign, I feel. The company certainly seems to be in better creative health that it has been for 10+ years, which is marvellous to see. But yeh, sadly very few of the kids I know tend to actually have any of the stuff - it's probably a bit of a posh kid's toy now...

The hard-core Lego fanboys would gut you for that, but most of them are frothing lunatics, so...

Yeh, I'm aware that it's probably slightly lame... But with the town stuff it's largely for two reasons - 1) generally everything necessary has been done pretty well and 2) the stuff that hasn't tends to cost a lot (and sometimes take considerable time to gather the parts for). I've got LDraw designs for churches, cinemas, blocks of flats, hotels, houses, flying boats etc. on the hard-drive, just not the focus to build any of them!

Warcry
2009-09-05, 09:25 PM
Pocket money doesn't seem to have gone up in relation by much either, plus kids are growing up more quickly - from a surprising age, kids would be happier with 5 credit on their phones than a 5 Lego set.
I'm not so sure I agree with the whole "kids are growing up faster" line, TBH. When my dad was growing up it wasn't at all unusual for him and his friends to be out hunting rabbits or chopping wood for campfires without adult supervision when they were under 10 years old, and no one thought anything of it. Admittedly, he grew up in the middle of nowhere surrounded by hillbillies and rednecks, but still...it kind of makes me think that our generation was the odd one out and that the kids nowadays are the more 'normal' ones.

The major issue, IMO, is that there seems to be this sort of...dividing line in the minds of kids these days, where you can't like playing with toys (or admit to it, anyway) if you're interested in more 'grown-up' things. That sort of thing was there when I was little too, but not even remotely to the same extent as it is now. And it was even less pronounced when my dad was young -- he'd spend the day outside hunting and then go home and build model trains or play with toy cars and tractors, and think nothing of it.

Mmmm - I've never looked that hard at MegaBloks, but it seems to be even more steeped in big 'one use only' parts than Lego at its' very worst. I'm fairly sure I saw a warship at one point that was just a collection of grey bricks with whacking great big superstructure parts slapped on top. Yeh, have fun building something else out of that...
Some of my younger cousins got big MegaBloks sets for Christmas a few years ago, and I got more or less the same impression you did.

Looking at those licenced Halo vehicles that someone posted a few weeks back, it doesn't look like much has changed in the past few years.

Yeh, this is more what I meant to convey - what newer licensed sets I've seen tend to skimp on suggesting this set could be built as anything other than, say, the Knight Bus.
Actually, do any sets come with alternate build suggestions anymore? I always thought that was one of the neatest things about Lego, even if I could never really manage to build them when I was little.

On a tangent...they don't have the license for Harry Potter stuff anymore, do they? That's sort of a shame. A lot of the sets would have made good raw material for Castle-themed stuff, but when they first came out I was a teenager who thought "Harry Potter? Teh ghey!" and would have been ashamed to buy them.

The SW one was probably a little unfair - it was really more an extension of the Space theme in a way. The stuff that gets me more are the sets designed to do nothing other than recreate a certain set piece from a film or something in Lego form, with very little thought as to whether it can be used for much else.
That's how the SW stuff started out, but these days the sets all either fall into the categories "vehicle we've done six times before" or "recreate a scene from the movie". So yeah...

I don't know; the Castle stuff has been pretty prominent on the shelves over here, and that they're moving back towards playing things straight in general is a good sign, I feel.
I'm glad to hear it's prominent somewhere. Around here you wouldn't even know it existed unless you went to TRU, and even there it's probably got the least shelf space out of any of the themes. That might have something to do with how few sets they release per year (only four new mass-market sets for all of 2009, I think) but if those sets sold better, I suppose we'd see more. I'm sort of worried that it's going to disappear entirely when the licensed Prince of Persia stuff starts showing up.

On the other hand, we're seeing stuff like this (http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Product.aspx?p=10193&cn=473), so it can't be all bad.

ganon578
2009-09-08, 10:26 PM
On the other hand, we're seeing stuff like this (http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Product.aspx?p=10193&cn=473), so it can't be all bad.

That medieval market set is great. I wish I had $100 'cause it'd be mine in a heart beat, however, I'm broke. Seeing sets like that being 'revived' makes me want to bust out my forestmen sets from ages ago...