PDA

View Full Version : The All Purpose Green Lantern Thread (spoilers and what nots)

Zeeks
2009-03-04, 03:03 AM
Really been getting into the whole GL mythos over the last few months- was a casual reader for a few years, but with the whole Final Crisis thing, I wanted something different.

Any GL fans out there?

Anywho, general thoughts:

Rebirth: IMO, the most important Trade of the decade. If you haven't, do so and READ. Geoff Johns and Ethan Van Sciver- DC's dynamic duo.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v322/kremzeek/GLdoesntgiveup.jpg
Powerful Stuff. Good Message.

Sinestro Corps War: if for anything, it put that dorky looking guy from super friends in the upper echelon of DC villains. Kyel Rayner defeating Parallax was probably the finest moment; I copied the page and hung it up at work. Funniest moment? When Kilowog refered to the Children of the White Lobe as "the spooky kids". Many lols on that one.

Currently, we are going into the Blackest Night, and so far Im really psyched about the set up with the advent of the color spectrum, especially the history between Sinestro and Atrocitus. The Secret Origins arc shed a new light on Sinestro for me as well- another flawed good guy. The part where Sinestro started carrying on the work of Abin Sur and defending hot shot Jordan in front of the the Blue Munchkins was priceless.

Also, it was the prophecy of Sodam Yat that got me interested in Alan Moore, which got me interested in the Watchmen. Let's see how this one plays out.

Hound
2009-03-04, 08:09 AM
What I like is the whole dynamic between the different corps'. Each has there own way of doing things or a different way that their rings work. It's cool as each one is revealed to learn the differences and with the "Agent Orange" story coming up next I'm really anxious. The only one left then is Indigo after that.

I just saw an ad for new GL figures based on "Blackest Night" and they have an "Earth-2 Superman Black Lantern" figure. That is soooooo awesome. I cannot wait for this story to start. The build up is killing me.

Zeeks
2009-03-04, 05:34 PM
I could write a single post on this that would make my Vader thesis look like a caption...........but I won't out of respect for everyone's vision here. :D

RE: the figures- yeah, I saw that ad in the latest ish of Wizard, too. Funny how they have the Earth 2 Supes in a black silhouette- guess they don't want to spoil the look until the arc actually begins. Myself, I want that Atrocitus figure. Like, as in I NEED that figure. At one point I had the entire GL series up to the second wave, but gave them away. :wall: Since then, I've just picked out certain ones that spark my interest- Sinestro in his Corps Uniform with Despotellis. HELL YEAH.

Yeah, the wait is killing me too, but making it sweeter nonetheless. Don't forget Free Comics Day- something regarding the Blackest Night is coming out.

So far, the Rage of the Red Lanterns arc is really showing the same amount of action and storytelling as both Rebirth and the SC War- Especially the Death of Laira, the revelation of a child on Korugar for Sinestro, and whatever is intended for Hal regarding the proposed stint in the Blue Lantern Corps.

Have you checked out the Tales of the Sinestro Corps Trade? The guide located at the back is killer. Granted, it's pre-Blackest Night, but there are hints all over the place as well.

Zeeks
2009-03-12, 08:50 PM
GL Corps #34

If a cover was ever representative of the actual contents, this is the gem, people.

Main thrust of this ish- Arkillo vs. Mongul. And what a throw down it is. Bombastic, destructive, totally over the top, and the ending is………well, silencing. It’s almost on par with the Hal/Sinestro battle during the SC War. Almost.

We get a little bit of everything:
Action: Mongul vs. Arkillo
Drama: Sodam Yat vs. his momma.
Intrigue: the eye bleeding guardian releasing Red Lantern Vice, thus the Blackest Night officially gets off to a start in terms of chaos.
Revelation: we finally get an explanation as to what the red puke is that comes out of Red Lanterns’ mouths. It’s acid. Merry Christmas, Sigourney Weaver.
Romance: Kyle and Soranik do it lantern style.

There’s also a little bit to do with some of the various corps- Sinestro, Green, Violet, mention of the Blue, and Red.

Quote of the issue: Guy Gardner: “Ya gotta be kidding me- Green, Yellow, Red, Blue, Violet- It’s like Walt Disney threw up. What the hell’s going on out there?”

The one thing that threw me- I didn’t understand the two page spread involving Kryb, namely the first page titled Sector 3599- is that supposed to be a “sea” of Krybs? Or is that a hallucination of Kryb’s while she undergoes the Zamaron transformation?

Hound
2009-04-14, 12:11 AM
So GL #39:

Just an awesome issue.

I thought it was going to be the Controllers that started the Orange Lantern Corps. Guess not, heh.

That scarred up Guardian is going to be a big problem, like really big.

The big battle coming up next issue, in the second part. I expect to see some mention of the Indigo Corps in the next issue of GL or the Corps.

Yay!

Zeeks
2009-04-14, 01:07 AM
FIRST OFF,

LUV THE SIG. I GIVE IT A 20 OUT OF 10.

I have re-read that ish 39 every night since last week. Indeed it rocks, but I was really hoping for a little more spotlight on Sinestro- last we saw him, he was off to Korugar to take care of a "family matter"...I definitely want to see the upside of this one.

RE: the Orange Lanterns- I re-read the prior ish that showed the Controllers heading to the planet- at first, I didn't quite get that the encapsulated voice was of the Lantern, and not something the Controllers were thinking or something that Scar was saying. But, lo and behold, I get it now. One thing I don't get, though- what exactly was it that Larfleez claimed was "stolen" from him? The Controllers went for the lantern, got butchered, and when he appeared to the guardians, he had it with him. Still don't quite get that one...

GL Corps comes out this week....I might pick that up with a Hal Jordan figure at the collector store on Wednesday night.

:up:

ganon578
2009-04-14, 04:19 PM
Damn, I've been out of it for a long time (mostly for monetary problems, cause I can't just go into the comic store and buy one or two books a month). I read Rebirth and through the Sinestro Corps war, then I had to stop. What a shame. Sounds like I really need to get back into this. When does Blackest Night start?

Zeeks
2009-04-14, 09:12 PM
Damn, I've been out of it for a long time (mostly for monetary problems, cause I can't just go into the comic store and buy one or two books a month). I read Rebirth and through the Sinestro Corps war, then I had to stop. What a shame. Sounds like I really need to get back into this. When does Blackest Night start?

I hear ya on the money thing; that's why I can only basically do the GL and GL Corps at this time.

Technically, Blackest Night has already started with a bunch of "preludes" in both GL titles, plus there was this narration at the end of a bunch of other DC titles that had a key player from the Blackest Night recently. My best guess is that it officially kicks off on Free Comics Day with Blackest night #0.:up:

ganon578
2009-04-14, 09:24 PM
I hear ya on the money thing; that's why I can only basically do the GL and GL Corps at this time.

Technically, Blackest Night has already started with a bunch of "preludes" in both GL titles, plus there was this narration at the end of a bunch of other DC titles that had a key player from the Blackest Night recently. My best guess is that it officially kicks off on Free Comics Day with Blackest night #0.:up:

Excellent. Am I going to be completely lost when this event hits? Because I hadn't read much outside of Superman comics when Infinite Crisis hit, and I was decently confused. Is there a TPB of recent GL stuff that I can get caught up?

Zeeks
2009-04-14, 11:32 PM
Excellent. Am I going to be completely lost when this event hits? Because I hadn't read much outside of Superman comics when Infinite Crisis hit, and I was decently confused. Is there a TPB of recent GL stuff that I can get caught up?

Son, you just made my night :up:

One of the reasons I started reading GL again is that is wasn't as complicated as 52, Infinite Crisis, or Final Crisis....I was completely lost in the DC world and just wanted something straight forward, simple yet pounding with excitement, and due to all the interviews I read in Wizard with Geoff Johns, I picked up the Sinestro Corps War trades. That filled my niche very nicely.

As for the trades, there are a few- most importantly, you will want to finish the SC War if you didn't, because the ending pretty much leads you right into Blackest Night. From there, I would pick up the Secret Origins Trade, which gives you a little detail on the Red Lanterns, Sinestro's place in the Corps, and a few other nods, such as a startling revelation about Black Hand.

Also, the Final Crisis Special featuring the Red Lanterns is pivotal. Single Ish.

For GL, here are the trades in order:
No Fear
Revenge of the Green Lanterns
Wanted: Hal Jordan

For the Corps, here are the trades in order:
Recharge
Dark Side of Green
Ring Quest

Considering you are familiar with events from Rebirth to the SC War, you might already have read some of these.

I may have missed something here and there........I'm sure Hound will catch it.:D

Zeeks
2009-04-15, 11:15 PM
"Family Matter" suspicion confirmed...Sinestro is Natu's papa

Cover is a bit misleading, though- Even though it is ****ing cool just for being Sinestro, he only appears on the last damn page of the issue.

Damn, can Sodam Yat hold a parental grudge or what? It's good to see Arkillo back in the picture, though. I thought Mongul had not only torn his tongue out, but killed the dude......Now Arkillo can't talk, but his actions provide answers, especially when one is questioning mentioning Mongul's name in his presence.

The Red Lantern breakout was insane.........so much action, I had to concentrate on each individual panel for a long time to digest it.

That scarred up Guardian is going to be a big problem, like really big.

3rd page, bottom. Unreal........

Denyer
2009-04-25, 10:47 AM
http://gaff1229.deviantart.com/art/Green-Lantern-Odym-Fresh-119964596

AndyTurnbull
2009-04-25, 11:02 AM
Most amusing!

Andy

Zeeks
2009-04-25, 09:24 PM
http://gaff1229.deviantart.com/art/Green-Lantern-Odym-Fresh-119964596

That rocks. :lol:

Hound
2009-05-05, 10:02 PM
Free comics are awesome. Free Blackest Night comics are even more awesome.

Looks like Aquaman, J'onn J'onzz and Batman are going to be Black Lanterns.

Man I cannot wait for July to get here.

Oh and Wizard had a pic of Hal as an Orange Lantern, which if you've read the last issue of GL you should be astounded by. Holy crap!!!

Zeeks
2009-05-06, 12:55 PM
Free comics are awesome. Free Blackest Night comics are even more awesome.

Looks like Aquaman, J'onn J'onzz and Batman are going to be Black Lanterns.

Man I cannot wait for July to get here.

Oh and Wizard had a pic of Hal as an Orange Lantern, which if you've read the last issue of GL you should be astounded by. Holy crap!!!

I woke up a lot earlier than usual last Saturday so I could get to the comics shop before they open- when I got in there, I beelined it for BN #0. Read the whole thing right on the spot, then took it. lol

Yeah, I saw that pic of Orange Lantern Hal- pretty effin cool. In GL#40, the best moment was the little back story on Glomulus, especially the last two panels with Larfleez: "...because there's always a bigger fish in the pond. And that fish is ME." Worthy of a sig, me thinks.

RE: the spoiler
I wonder how a BN Bats is gonna play between the "battle for the cowl" thing and Blackest Night- can they successfully mingle him in both stories? And just to throw down my own opinion, my eyes are on Sinestro- I have a feeling he is gonna pull a Darth Vader and end up saving the universe. May even become head of the Blue Corps.

Hound, have you picked up any of the different lantern T-shirts? So far, I grabbed a yellow, blue, and green. My next choice is between the red and orange.

Aww, Hell yeah. that sig looks damn FINE.

Denyer
2009-05-06, 06:44 PM
http://thehefner.livejournal.com/587223.html

Zeeks
2009-05-06, 10:48 PM
http://thehefner.livejournal.com/587223.html

Just the fact that you come up with this shit makes me smile, D. :lol:

Bean Lanterns....dude's got a lot of free time on his hands. I looked a little further lurking at his site- Nice little ode to one Victor Von Doom as well.

Curse you Richards. I still love Doom and remain loyal, even in the wake of GL.

Zeeks
2009-05-08, 12:23 AM
Random thought: if Black Hand had a theme song, it would be Alice Cooper's "I Love the Dead". :D

Zeeks
2009-05-14, 11:11 PM
GL Corps #36

Said it before, worth saying again: my money is on Sinestro becoming one of the saviors if not THE savior of the DC Universe when all is said and done. Perhaps leader of the Blue Lanterns along with his newly discovered daughter?

Natu backstory: notice how we never saw the actual face of her mother...interesting little oddity.

The variant cover is HELLA cool- using it for my desktop as of now.
http://ep.yimg.com/ip/I/yhst-23599503122488_2054_48736414

Can't wait to see the showdown between Sinestro and Mongul.:up:

ganon578
2009-07-15, 09:38 PM
Saw this pop up on IGN.com and thought you all would like to know. There's a site with a bunch of gear from Green Lantern and Blackest Night. T-Shirts, toys, etc.

Blackest Night Gear (http://www.superherostuff.com/characters/GreenLantern/green-lantern-blackest-night-t-shirts.html) :clap:

Zisteau
2009-07-16, 04:03 AM
Blackest night came out today, and for a first issue, I have to say that I really liked it. This has been effectively set up over the past year and its nice that at least indirectly, the series is dealing with the strange phenomenon that no super hero ever really stays dead.

Synopsis for issue #1:
people die, zombies, mass hysteria, etc.

Zeeks
2009-07-17, 05:47 AM
Saw this pop up on IGN.com and thought you all would like to know. There's a site with a bunch of gear from Green Lantern and Blackest Night. T-Shirts, toys, etc.

Blackest Night Gear (http://www.superherostuff.com/characters/GreenLantern/green-lantern-blackest-night-t-shirts.html) :clap:

Right on. At the end of each week, I got myself one more shirt. Have to admit; I guess the orange one is my favorite, although I wear the blue one more frequently.

Blackest night came out today, and for a first issue, I have to say that I really liked it. This has been effectively set up over the past year and its nice that at least indirectly, the series is dealing with the strange phenomenon that no super hero ever really stays dead.

Synopsis for issue #1:
people die, zombies, mass hysteria, etc.

And I thought Last week's GL issue was hardcore-

Black Hand. Licking. Skull. DAMN.

Johns does it again- turns a C-rate candy store villain into a friggin power house to be contended with.

Zisteau
2009-07-17, 06:29 AM
Johns does it again- turns a C-rate candy store villain into a friggin power house to be contended with.

No kidding! I love that his weapon is basically a light saber with no saber. He just swings the hilt around at people and it eats them!

Denyer
2009-07-17, 09:19 PM
Just the fact that you come up with this shit makes me smile, D. :lol:
Mmm... I should probably point out that I don't read much DC (particularly "event" books, which seem to be on treadmill release schedules these days) and even less Marvel, it's just that I read a few places that talk about comics.

Hound
2009-07-18, 04:31 AM
Mmm... I should probably point out that I don't read much DC (particularly "event" books, which seem to be on treadmill release schedules these days)See, it's that that makes me sad that this has been turned into an event type thing because it's not an event type story. Not like Final Crisis or Civil War anyway. It's the culmination of a nearly five year long build-up of an epic conceived and orchestrated by one writer with the aid of some very fine artists and editors. It revolves around just two books and a mini-series and while there are some crossover tales they aren't necessary to read and if you're just a casual reader it would probably be better not to bog yourself down reading them as they'd just complicate the story.

I've read the whole of this since it was started back in 2005 and it is probably one of the best comic book stories I've ever read. Johns has reinvented the entire mythos of the Green Lanterns while also telling a tremendously enthralling tale.

However much I might not like it this Blackest Night story was probably just too big to not involve more of the DCU than just the Green Lanterns.