PDA

View Full Version : Ok help me find something to read quick...

Hound
2009-03-04, 08:29 AM
Ok, I'm looking at buying a TPB or two tomorrow when I go to the comic book shop since there is only one new comic coming out this week that I buy.

Here's the conditions:
I'm looking for something mature, like Vertigo-ish.

It must be something that I have not read which will make this incredibly hard as my collection is massive. Just to give you an idea steer clear of stuff by Alan Moore, Neil Gaiman, Warren Ellis and Garth Ennis. I've probably already read it.

It does need to be in TPB, as I'm not going to go hunting for single issues.

I want to get it tomorrow at the comic book shop I buy comics at so make it something that is actually in print. In other words don't suggest I get it off of ebay or something like that.

Alright, so there you go. I'm kind of leaning towards Fables but it's like a billion issues in and still an ongoing series. I kind of want something that is completed or almost done but that's not a condition because if the book is good for the whole run no reason not to stay with it.

Zeeks
2009-03-04, 05:41 PM
Perhaps the Mouse Guard series? Wizard was pumping this quite a lot not too long ago.

Dead Man Wade
2009-03-04, 06:16 PM
Well, definitely Fables. Can't recommend that enough.

Beyond that, I'd suggest the following, if you haven't already read them.

Inhumans by Paul Jenkins
Rising Stars by JMS
DMZ
Superman Birthright by Mark Waid (surprisingly good take on the origin of Superman)
Mage: The Hero Discovered and The Hero Defined by Matt Wagner (only problem with this series is that the third series, The Hero Denied, has yet to even be announced)
Fear Agent by Rick Remender and Tony Moore

Denyer
2009-03-04, 06:53 PM
Do you focus on 'big' stuff by Ellis or have you dipped into his less well-known works much? Two I'd recommend are Ocean and JLA Classified: Maps Of Hell.

Halfshell
2009-03-04, 06:57 PM
Well, definitely Fables. Can't recommend that enough.

Yepyep.

Alias by Bendis? Though I'd suspect somebody like you would already have hit that.

Hound
2009-03-04, 10:28 PM
@DMW I've read Rising Stars and Superman Birthright but not the others. I have heard very good things about DMZ though.

@Denyer-I've got quite a bit of Ellis stuff, even the JLA Classified story. I've not read Ocean though, hmm. There was some of his smaller stuff I'd been looking at but had heard he was kind of hit and miss with those and steered clear.

@Brend-I've actually not read Alias which is odd because I've been on such a Bends kick of late. Are you reading his Avengers stuff? He's like the architect of the Marvel Universe right now...

Edit: So, umm, looks like the first volume of Fables is a lock. Maybe Oceans or Alias, I'll wait and see.

Denyer
2009-03-04, 10:35 PM
His output is hit-and-miss. Ocean's a fast and self-contained science-fiction read, though, with good production values and realistic-type characters.

I'd suggest not reading reviews of it, though, as it'd be a shame to spoil too much of the story with plot details ahead of time.

If you don't like the first book of Fables so much, give the second book (Animal Farm) a chance too.

Cliffjumper
2009-03-05, 12:16 AM
I found Ocean to be very... Furmany. Here are all my best bits in one place kind-of thing. Not sure I'd re-read once I knew what happened.

Orbiter's very good if you haven't read it. Very well done, uses the format well.

As for recommendations, I suspect you've read anything I have... er, The Boys maybe? It's mindless violence, but on the plus side it's mindless violence.

Hound
2009-03-05, 02:31 AM
Hmm, looks like it's going to be another day till I get there so keep suggesting.

The guy at the store I go to said Orbiter was bad.

I actually haven't read "The Boys" yet. I did manage to read Hitman, finally, a few months back. That is some great stuff.

Y'know I wouldn't have to make these choices if Green Lantern came out every day...

Zeeks
2009-03-05, 02:56 AM
Y'know I wouldn't have to make these choices if Green Lantern came out every day...

Amen to that. :up:

rattrap23
2009-03-05, 06:11 PM
Though not exactly mature, you could get a Deadpool TPB

Also, as always I recommend buying Cerebus the Aardvark vol 2, 3, 4, and 5.

Marvel Boy by Grant Morrison, and I know you said no Moore, but they just re- released his first volume of Swamp-Thing on Hardcover.

As well from Image; Invincible, Savage Dragon, The Walking Dead, PVP.

Hound
2009-03-05, 11:37 PM
Ok so I got the first 2 Fables TPBs and the first Alias.

There were 3 volumes of Alias at the CB shop, that's all there is right? I figured it's not a lot of them to buy and it's Bendis so I'll give it a go.

I might have to give Orbiter and Ocean a shot. They only have Orbiter in hardcover which I don't like. It's not worth it to me to fork out extra cash for that when a softcover is just as good. I might do some searching.

I've no interest in Cerebus, sorry. I've got every issue of Savage Dragon already. What's PVP? I've read Swamp Thing already. Don't care for Deadpool. Maybe Invincible but probably way down the line.

Actually Fables will probably keep me reading for a good long time.

Cliffjumper
2009-03-05, 11:57 PM
To be fair on Orbiter, if you don't give a toss about space exploration I'd give it a miss. However, if you're interested in a fairly realistic account of what might happen if we go back to looking beyond our mudball, it's a real treat.

Some of Ellis' Image three-parters are worth a look for varying reasons too... Ministry of Space is really nicely done even if it's very light on plot, while Tokyo Storm Warning is good mad fun. Red was pretty neat as well, IIRC - sadly I think for trades they were paired up, panning out as a good series paired up with a poor series.

Ennis' Enemy Ace two-parter was very good as well, not sure if it made it into trade though. The Boys is brainless, completely stupid and very grimy, but it's so ridiculous it just bludgeons you into enjoyment. It's not as good as Hitman, but then very, very little is. Hitman's probably my favourite series now I think about it, that or Planetary (Miracleman has The Golden Age letting down the average, meaning I rarely read it all the way through... Plus reading the Silver Age pisses me off... what the **** was Avril up to?).

Halfshell
2009-03-06, 09:14 AM
There were 3 volumes of Alias at the CB shop, that's all there is right? I figured it's not a lot of them to buy and it's Bendis so I'll give it a go.

There's four trades in total. Plus a one-shot "What If..." issue, which is only collected in the big "complete Alias" hardback. I've not read the issue, but going by the synopsis I've seen I'm really not missing out.

After that it was replaced by The Pulse for three (very short) trades. At which point it became far less standalone (and not as good, imo) and I think ended up just sort of folding into New Avengers or something.

Denyer
2009-03-06, 09:21 AM
What's PVP?
http://www.pvponline.com/

Webcomic that to me reads most like most newspaper comic strips. Having said that, have just clicked through and found some kind of Watchmen parody involving non-PVP characters. May go and have another look if I get five minutes later.

Terome
2009-03-06, 02:24 PM
To be fair on Orbiter, if you don't give a toss about space exploration I'd give it a miss. However, if you're interested in a fairly realistic account of what might happen if we go back to looking beyond our mudball, it's a real treat.

I think I might just give that a go...

Fables should be all a man needs for a year or so, Hound. I'm currently reading The Boys but I wouldn't recommend it very heartily. It's got a lot of good ideas floating around it but nothing that hasn't been covered before in the usual gallery of 'Superheroes aren't so SUPER' books. It's also kind of awful when Robertson skips a book.

As for complete, self-contained whatsits, I'd recommend 'Black Hole' by Charles Burns or 'Goodbye, Chunky Rice' by Craig Thompson. The first is kind of terrifying and the second is about leaving people behind, which is also kind of terrifying. Oh, and for a high-standard monster story, I'd suggest 'Girls' by the Luna Brothers. It is more conventionally terrifying than the others.

Dead Man Wade
2009-03-06, 08:47 PM
'Goodbye, Chunky Rice' by Craig Thompson

"Chunky Rice" is okay. "Blankets" is better.

Terome
2009-03-06, 09:24 PM
I wish to read 'Blankets.' I will do this shortly. Does it make me think of the girlfriends I should never have left in a highly idealised way? I feel like I deserve to be reminded of that.

Prowl1984
2009-03-07, 01:06 AM
Y: the last man is worth a read, i got the first two volumes in a shiny hardcover for crimbo and i loved it, it's completed its run and the trade paperbacks are available most places. my problem is that now that i have said shiny hardcover i don't want to buy/read the remaining volumes until they're reprinted in the same format.

Hound
2009-03-07, 08:57 AM
Y: the last man is worth a read, i got the first two volumes in a shiny hardcover for crimbo and i loved it, it's completed its run and the trade paperbacks are available most places. my problem is that now that i have said shiny hardcover i don't want to buy/read the remaining volumes until they're reprinted in the same format.Yeah, I know. I have the whole series.

I just finished reading Alias vol.1 and man she swears a lot. Emphasis on "a lot", but not as much as Rick Jones... heh.

Good stuff. Now somehow during the course of this she's going to end up with Cage. I know because they're together now in Avengers. Have a kid and all.

Cliffjumper
2009-03-07, 09:21 AM
hay hv you got wotchmen? its gud you should deffo red it :D

Hound
2009-03-07, 08:57 PM
Ok, so I actually keep a list that I update and it's got every comic I own on it. Except the original TF series. It's huge and anyone who decides to go through this is a very brave individual, but here's the link, my comic list (http://tfahound.zoomshare.com/files/Comic.doc.wps)

CounterPunch
2009-03-08, 01:10 PM
You have far too much time on your hands!!

I'm trying to think of what I'm reading atm...

The Boys is fun, and is only on v3 of TPB... As said earlier it's not particularly original, not providing any revolutionary ideas, but it's an Ennis book, and Ennis books where he can let loose are always fun to read.

Fables, I'm reading v1 atm, it hasn't gripped me yet, but I've heard numerous times that if you're not gripped with v2 then you're an idiot lol

All-Star Superman?? v1&2 are out on HC, and v1 is Softcover, with v2 probs not being released for another year or so (much to my dismay)

I've heard DMZ is fantastic, something I'm planning on reading at some point, just gotta find the time.

I also can't recommend The Walking Dead enough, but the problem is that it's now on v9 of TPB's BUT I think Kirkman has set a specific end number for the series and I don't think its THAT far away.

As a slight offshoot (apologies for stealing limelight for a mo Hound) I've been reading Preacher and am just amazed at how good it is, I read 3 volumes in 1 day, which is AMAZING for me, and I've jus bought the first few volumes of Transmet, it better be good! It's been built up by so many people (you guys in particular)

Halfshell
2009-03-08, 02:36 PM
and I've jus bought the first few volumes of Transmet, it better be good! It's been built up by so many people (you guys in particular)

You'll know by the end of the second volume if you'll like it or not.

Hound
2009-03-08, 09:58 PM
You'll know by the end of the second volume if you'll like it or not.Oh yeah....

I might actually know a guy that I can borrow All-Star Superman from. I've been reading a lot of Superman from the 1 year later thing up to now and I'm impressed so I thought I might give All-Star a look through too.

Y'know what the problem is? I don't know anyone that reads anything other than mainstream superhero comics. The furthest away from that is Hitman. I have a freind who has the whole series of Hitman but nothing else even remotely like that. So I'm the one lending all my Sandman, Preacher, Transmet, Planetary and stuff to others while I get Superman/Batman and some old issues of Robin. (sigh)

They cancelled all the Batman books so I'm saving some money there that I can spend on TPBs and stuff. There's usually 2 weeks or so a month that are so light I can afford to buy something new.

Neuronutter
2009-03-12, 05:10 PM
Fables, I'm reading v1 atm, it hasn't gripped me yet, but I've heard numerous times that if you're not gripped with v2 then you're an idiot lol

Agreed!

Ok so I got the first 2 Fables TPBs and the first Alias.

Actually Fables will probably keep me reading for a good long time.

I'm sure this has been said but Fables is one of the finest books out there. It's certainly one of the best things I've ever read. I'm on trade 10, I think, so I've still got a few to go, but it's magnificent. In fact almost every Willingham story I've read has been great. I'd recommend Shadowpact for some good magicky fun.

Preacher is fantastic, I think it was recommended to me by someone on this site (Cliffy probably) and I read all the trades in a week and loved it.

I'd also recommend RASL by Jeff Smith of Bone fame. The first trade's out at the mo and is good. Bone, if you don't know it, is very kiddy but absolutely brilliant. I've read the first three trades and just bought the anthology edition and can't wait to rip into it.

Neuronutter
2009-03-12, 05:14 PM
Oh yeah....

I might actually know a guy that I can borrow All-Star Superman from. I've been reading a lot of Superman from the 1 year later thing up to now and I'm impressed so I thought I might give All-Star a look through too.

Y'know what the problem is? I don't know anyone that reads anything other than mainstream superhero comics. The furthest away from that is Hitman. I have a freind who has the whole series of Hitman but nothing else even remotely like that. So I'm the one lending all my Sandman, Preacher, Transmet, Planetary and stuff to others while I get Superman/Batman and some old issues of Robin. (sigh)

They cancelled all the Batman books so I'm saving some money there that I can spend on TPBs and stuff. There's usually 2 weeks or so a month that are so light I can afford to buy something new.

Have you joined your local library? Don't know where you live but my library service in Cardiff is great with online access to loads of stuff. I've borrowed a mole hills worth of stuff in the last few years, especially when I was off work sick, and I've been able to read so much that I could never have afforded to buy. So if your looking for stuff you couldn't otherwise get give it a look.

Neuronutter
2009-03-12, 05:26 PM
Hitman's probably my favourite series now I think about it, that or Planetary (Miracleman has The Golden Age letting down the average, meaning I rarely read it all the way through... Plus reading the Silver Age pisses me off... what the **** was Avril up to?).

Speaking of Planetary when's the last issue out? Wasn't that due an age ago? I'm getting the trades so it'll be even longer till that's out. Dammit why's it taking so long?

As for Miracleman, I think you recommended it before but I started Golden Age and couldn't finish it. Is the rest really good and how do I get hold of it? It doesn't look like it's available on Amazon.

Cliffjumper
2009-03-12, 05:55 PM
You wait for me to remember which disc the scans are on and upload them to Rapidshare. Due to a variety of hugely interesting reasons, the thing's been out of print since the mid-1990s, and due to everyone involved being egotistical power-mad bastards, it seems unlikely this will ever be resolved. Thus the only way of legally buying the series is to put ~£200 into the pocket of some second hand retailer - messrs. Moore, Gaiman, Davis, Totleben, Chuck ****ing Austen, Buckingham etc. don't get any more money for that than they do for someone downloading the scans.

The Golden Age is only semi-readable if you've read the three previous books, TBH, let alone as a starting point.

Cliffjumper
2009-03-12, 06:23 PM
Book 1 - A Dream of Flying (http://rapidshare.com/files/208437482/Book1.zip.html)

Hound
2009-03-12, 06:44 PM
Man, if I wasn't in the middle of reading a heap of new stuff I'd start reading Mracleman again.

Edit: Actually, Cliffy, did you scan those yourself? Are all the images the same size and quality and stuff? I might just have to replace the scans I have...

Cliffjumper
2009-03-12, 06:59 PM
Book 2 - The Red King Syndrome (http://rapidshare.com/files/208449895/Book2.zip.html)

[Issue 8 purposefully omitted due to it just being Cat Yronwoode being a hypocritical twat and Eclipse rinsing money out of subscribers for basically nothing]

EDIT: Nah, scans are courtesy of Denyer, but IIRC the size is that consistent throughout. Good set.

Cliffjumper
2009-03-12, 07:32 PM
Book 3 - Olympus (http://rapidshare.com/files/208460123/Book3.zip.html)

Neuronutter
2009-03-12, 09:30 PM
Cheers for that. Much appreciated. Any news on Planetary?

Zeeks
2009-03-12, 09:54 PM
for shits and giggles, I thought Son of Batman was rather good, especially the futuristic tale of Damian.

Cliffjumper
2009-03-12, 10:00 PM
Cheers for that. Much appreciated. Any news on Planetary?

I think I heard March last year Cssidey was just starting to draw it. 2012?

Personally I basically consider the series finished. It'd be nice if they could wrap up the last couple of dangling threads, but the main body of work was completed... It's not like it's The Silver Age or something, and Gaiman's taken eight issues to get interesting but made the fatal mistake of working for the ropiest label around at the time...

Halfshell
2009-03-13, 04:29 PM
Personally I basically consider the series finished.

I don't. :(

On a lighter note, I remember when I started reading Miracleman. The first few pages I was like "you're having a laugh, right?" Then we skipped forward and suddenly all was awesome in the world.

Terome
2009-03-13, 05:03 PM
Holy hell, I read Orbiter today and it is classy stuff. It gave me emotions. My work days are spent amongst a troop of given-in technophobes who meet every mention of anything remotely spacey with, "They could be spending that money on something better," and generally seeing manned space flight as some kind of logical extension of kids in hoodies playing on their cell phones. One of them even maintains that the giant mass of data that orbital space flight has afforded us about climate change (as well as just about every other aspect of geology) is irrelevant as, apparently, moral people don't pollute and it's because of greedy fat cats ignoring the god-given affinity with the ozone layer and global evaporation rates that every real, honest working man is born with that the big ecosystems are collapsing. This is my work environment.

What I'm trying to say is, the end of Orbiter made me weep with joy.

Cliffjumper
2009-03-13, 07:18 PM
Damn straight. It makes me want to spit blood when people bleat about how much space exploration costs. Do the same people stay in their houses the whole time so as not to spend money? It's our duty as a species to get out there and see what's what, and if it costs a lot, so be it. The only reason NASA's bill is so big is because of petty people who won't pool resources.

Hound
2009-03-14, 12:10 AM
It's our duty as a species to get out there and see what's what, and if it costs a lot, so be it.I wouldn't say it's our duty. We're not obligated to explore space just because we exist. Certainly not if the cost of it means less money for those who need it to eat and stuff.

Thing is, I don't understand why it has to cost so much. I get that these materials cost money but they don't have to be expensive. The businesses that provide the technology and materials and stuff don't have to make a huge profit just because the government is footing the bill, it's ridiculous, and the government doesn't have to throw billions of dollars around just because they can.

It's our nature to explore, to discover new things, new ideas. To learn all that we can. We explore space because we really can't help ourselves. If we have the capability to find out new information we're going to. It's what we do.

"We are a very curious race"
-Jack O'Neill Stargate SG1

Cliffjumper
2009-03-14, 12:30 AM
I agree and I don't... I agree that contractors shouldn't take such a huge chunk of profit from things... However, most of NASA's budget wouldn't exist if there wasn't a NASA, and the money would just be foisted by the government elsewhere, with hardly any of it getting to those who need it. Money is outright wasted by governments worldwide on much less worthy things.

And I do feel the species really, really should get out there and see what's around. I'm not sure whether I believe in life out there (case for: it's arrogant to conclude Earth is unique on such a massive scale; case against:the chain of events that led to life on our planet is mind-boggling, and that's before getting us where we all are today), but it would surely be a good thing if we tried to find out for ourselves rather than indulge disinterest?

Zeeks
2009-03-14, 12:55 AM
favor to ask: would you guys mind recommending me something new? Maybe an independent, since I haven't read many. As for qualifications, the best thing I can come up with is that I like characters who have inner struggle; i.e. Vader- scourge of the universe ends up saving it; Hal Jordan: once destroyed the universe, got a second chance; characters with good intentions that somehow go a turn for the worse.

Some stories that I really like:

Kingdom Come
The Batman Vs. Predator collection
Rebirth/Sinestro Corps War
Star Wars: Dark Empire
Star Wars: Dark Times
Batman: No Mans Land (all 5 volumes)
Secret Wars
Hulk Vs. Thing: Hard Knocks

Looking for a trade, something readily available at my local comics store or Borders.

Thanks

Terome
2009-03-14, 12:56 AM
but it would surely be a good thing if we tried to find out for ourselves rather than indulge disinterest?

For sure. While it's nice to hold out hope for a Contact-style race of magical space people, it's important to remember that even a whiff of a microbe, a fossil of a replicator, could revolutionise biological thinking the way physics and geology was revolutionised by the probes and landers of the last century. It's worth mentioning that Mars' sterile soil clued us in to our own ozone layer and Venus' clouds gave us the idea of global warming and put paid to the concept of a planet having a 'natural state' to which it would revert without interference. Robots are all well and good, but there's nothing like having a brain on site to puzzle things out. A small crew, well-equipped, on a year-long stint to the Moon, in our own backyard, would probably be able to cement a lot of theories on planetary formation and give us a much better idea of the history of Earth and the rest of the solar system. I read today that Antarctic ice-cores are being examined for evidence of supernovae explosions, since the radiation zapped off by one of those gets stuck in the ice and remains there for thousands of years. Think of what can be divined from a core of the Moon - a floating record of Earth's forgotten geology from the early days of the solar system.

Anyway, I'd argue that it's neither a right nor a foible for us to explore space, but that it's really our best possible option for trying to figure out what the hell is going on.

Terome
2009-03-14, 01:07 AM
As for qualifications, the best thing I can come up with is that I like characters who have inner struggle

'Fell' and 'Planetary,' both mentioned above and both by Warren Ellis, are pretty good fare for internal struggle and such. I'd recommend 'Concrete' by Paul Chadwick too, though that might not be quite big and dramatic enough for your tastes. The internal struggle in that one is a long and slow slide into depression because, hey, getting permanently body-raped by ineffable aliens isn't really much fun, even if you do get to have some adventures.

Also, did Vader actually save the Universe when he threw Skeletor down that elevator shaft? Isn't the transition period after an adrupt end to despotic rule traditionally quite brutal and bloody? If Vader had just waited things out and crushed the Alliance, he probably could have made a decent enough tyrant with Luke at his side.

Hound
2009-04-18, 04:51 AM
Ok Brend!
Now I just finished Alias v.4 (Which was a crazy ****ing story, btw) and am wondering if I should bother with Pulse. Is it still as good as Alias?

Bendis still wrote it right?

inflatable dalek
2009-04-18, 10:26 AM
As I understand it the total amount of money NASA has generated through patents and creating employment far outstrips the amount put into it. Plus the amount of tax payers money spent on it over 50 years compares pretty favourably to the amount spent on, say, the war on terror in less than ten.

I do think there is a need for governments (and it doesn't just have to be America, more international cooperation would be great in unlikely) to put the money into scientific research and exploration for all sorts of reasons. But mainly the long term survival of the species (and indeed, all the other life forms on Earth we might take with us) depends on getting out there. This little blue dot won't endure forever, possibly not very long considering the way we treat her. We're not the best species ever but we're capable of so much and the planet's ecology has such beauty it would be a shame to keep all the eggs in one basket and for that to get snuffed out by war or or a meteorite or whatever.

Plus, if governments don't go into it for research reasons big buissness will for money reasons. Especially as our resources start to run out and the asteroid belt is a potential gold mine. Do we really want out first steps into the wider solar system to be to seek out strange new worlds and to exploit them for all their worth?

As to what we might find in terms of life...I'm sure there has been plenty of planets with life on them over the history of the Universe, including intelligent life. I do however think that, as cliffy says, the process is so long and convoluted that I'd be surprised if there were any life bearing planets currently within easy reach of our system, nor that any that might be would be at about the same stage as us.

I also think that life can probably take forms that are completely, genuinely alien to us to such a extent we'd probably have trouble recognising them as life. Considering the difficulty we have in comunicating with dolphins, or even agreeing if they are capable of comunication, despite them coming from the same stock as us imagine the problems of talking to something of a totally different biology, possibly not even carbon based, with no common frame of reference.

I know about the argument that the humanoid form is likely to be fairly common as the final evolved form of inteligent lifebecause it's perfectly suited to the environment... But I find that to be most bollocks. Our bodies aren't hugely adaptable, there are huge chunks of the planet we can't live on unaided and we're fairly fragile things. It's our brains and our abilities to use tools that give us the edge. give something like a cockroach a human brain and opposable thumbs and there's pretty much the ultimate life form.

And err.... comics. yeah. @ Hound, as you've been enjoying the films you might want to check out Titan's collections of the James Bond newspaper strips, some are deeply silly but there's generally good pulpy fun to behad and some great art.

Halfshell
2009-04-18, 10:49 AM
Ok Brend!
Now I just finished Alias v.4 (Which was a crazy ****ing story, btw) and am wondering if I should bother with Pulse. Is it still as good as Alias?

Bendis still wrote it right?

The Purple Man stuff is superb. I'm sorry, what fourth wall now?

The Pulse is alright. Not as good as Alias, but still fairly decent though. But there's only three volumes and they're quite short so should be fairly cheap.

Still Bendis so the stories are solid, though it's a different artist (which was quite jarring for me), though the guy who drew Alias does come back on board towards the end of the run.

Just basically serves to bridge the gap upto her being in New Avengers, I think. But still some enjoyable stuff in there (though mostly in the first trade).

Hound
2009-04-18, 05:46 PM
Have you read the latest issue of New Avengers?

Spidey reveals his identity to the team and Jessica is all, "Peter Parker?! I had the biggest crush on you in high school!!" and Cage is all, "What the #@$%!!!"

bowspearer
2009-04-22, 03:16 PM
If you feel like going for more of a novel, "Salt" by Gabrielle Lord is a really awesome post apocalyptic scifi/ conspiracy novel. Read it when I was a kid and loved it.

CounterPunch
2009-04-22, 07:47 PM
Have you read the latest issue of New Avengers?

Spidey reveals his identity to the team and Jessica is all, "Peter Parker?! I had the biggest crush on you in high school!!" and Cage is all, "What the #@$%!!!"

About that (i have a spoilerish question, hence the tags. s[poilerish about the latest ish of Amazing S-Man)

right so, in the latest issue of Amazing Spider-Man, he reveals his identity to the FF, but before he does (and Reed comes up with a way of protecting the info) he reels off reasons for why he shouldnt tell anyone, and used various members of New Avengers as examples (wolvie brainwashed, spider-woman skrull etc, Luke Cage possessed) of how people who know could be turned against him, so in what context did this happen? Why did he reveal it? Cos it jus sounds silly, one issue he is using them as a reason not to tell people, then he is telling them

Hound
2009-04-22, 07:59 PM
right so, in the latest issue of Amazing Spider-Man, he reveals his identity to the FF, but before he does (and Reed comes up with a way of protecting the info) he reels off reasons for why he shouldnt tell anyone, and used various members of New Avengers as examples (wolvie brainwashed, spider-woman skrull etc, Luke Cage possessed) of how people who know could be turned against him, so in what context did this happen? Why did he reveal it? Cos it jus sounds silly, one issue he is using them as a reason not to tell people, then he is telling themBasically the team tells him they have to know who he is if he's going to stay on the team and he goes on a bit about how he knew this day would come and all that and then just tells them.

Edit: I should have put that other post in spoiler tags. Oops, sorry to anyone that that messed something up for.

Dead Man Wade
2009-04-23, 01:33 AM
So glad they did that massive retcon, cause now we get to watch him reveal his identity to everyone with five dollars and/or a catsuit all over again. Huzzah.

Nothing massively spoileriffic, but just in case...

Ackula
2009-04-23, 04:39 AM
I know I'm late as hell to this thread, and frankly can't be bothered to back track and see if you are still looking for a TPB to read..but if you are I have a suggestion. Star Wars Legacy. There are like 5 TPB out for it right now, I can't recommend this series enough, even to casual Star Wars fans. I'm no huge Star Wars fanatic, and prior to reading this I didn't have hardly any knowledge of the expanded universe stuff at all, but its really not needed as this storyline is set so far in the future from any previous stuff. ;)

Hound
2009-04-23, 07:59 AM
Well, right now I'm 4 volumes into Fables and will probably still be reading this series a year from now as it's still an ongoing and has a spinoff that I'll probably want to read. Plus I'll be picking up Pulse too as I'm able.

It's going to be a long time now til I'll need something new to read.

Generally I stay away from those titles though. I've never been that much a Star Wars fan. I do have a friend that has expressed interest in maybe trying a Star Wars comic, I'll have to mention that I heard that that one was really good.

Dead Man Wade
2009-04-23, 04:12 PM
Well, right now I'm 4 volumes into Fables and will probably still be reading this series a year from now as it's still an ongoing and has a spinoff that I'll probably want to read.

Meh. Jack of Fables is middling at best. There are a few things worth reading early on, but I dropped it after about eight issues.

Of course, Jack was one of my least favorite characters from the main title, so that probably had something to do with it.

bowspearer
2009-04-23, 08:33 PM
So glad they did that massive retcon, cause now we get to watch him reveal his identity to everyone with five dollars and/or a catsuit all over again. Huzzah.

Nothing massively spoileriffic, but just in case...

I actually haven't read the Marvelverse since Civil War? So how come noone know's who Spiderman is?

Dead Man Wade
2009-04-23, 08:46 PM
Okay, here goes.

Toward the end of Civil War, Aunt May was shot by an assassin hired by the Kingpin. Aunt May winds up on the verge of death, Peter loses his shit, and dons the black costume to hunt down the person responsible. He follows the trail back to the Kingpin, and proceeds to beat him down in front of the entire prison population. Fight makes for a really good issue, actually.

Later, Aunt May still refuses to either die or wake up, Peter's looking for ways to help her, visits Dr. Strange, talks to Iron Man, no one cares. Mephisto shows up and offers him a deal. No one remembers who is under the mask (they remember Spidey unmasked, but not who it was), Aunt May is fine, Harry Osborn is randomly still alive, etc. Woo-hoo. In return, Peter and MJ were never married.

Basically just Joe Quesada picking and choosing what's still canon.

Gave it every opportunity, but Brand New Day was just out-and-out awful.

CounterPunch
2009-04-23, 10:11 PM
Ive got up to date with Spidey since One More Day and I definitely found it depended very much on the writer, for the most part I really enjoyed Slott, and I think there was some Guggenheim stuff I liked, I cant really recall what stuff was specifically Wells, Waid or Gale tho

Hound
2009-05-07, 06:22 PM
I've read the first two volumes of Pulse and both I couldn't put down once I started them. They're very short though.

Good stuff and not expensive, yay!

Cliffjumper
2009-05-07, 08:15 PM
http://tfarchive.com/community/showthread.php?t=46502

Grant Morrison has a crack at a 1990s Miracleman, also doing a crossover with the Dandy and the Amazing Three along the way.

rattrap23
2009-05-09, 01:35 AM
I’ve just recently read Will Eisner’s “The Spirit: Femme Fatales”, a collection published by DC. It’s really nice, despite one major thing. Ebony White makes for a very unsettling modern reading experience.
http://www.amazon.com/Spirit-Femmes-Fatale-Will-Eisner/dp/140121973X/ref=sr_1_28?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1241832871&sr=1-28

Also by Eisner, The Dreamer, a thinly veiled autobiographical account of the early days of Super Hero comics. The best story is the one where a Jack Kirby facsimile, throws out a mob bruiser who is trying to sell “towel service” in the building.

http://www.amazon.com/Dreamer-Will-Eisner/dp/0878160167
Two very different books, yet both have that unmistakable Eisner charm to them.