PDA

View Full Version : Exiles - let me get this straight then...

Halfshell
2009-04-06, 11:20 AM
Exiles ran to #100

At which point they relaunched it as "New Exiles" from #1.

Now, with 18 issues of NE racked up, they've changed it back to just "Exiles" and started the numbering again from scratch.

Yeah?

Okay.

Er... the ****?

CounterPunch
2009-04-06, 12:56 PM
Yep.

Marvel are being complete and utter tools at the moment... Theyre renumbering all their titles (or atleast a number of them) to follow on from a previous numbering system. It happened with Thor a few months back... Fairly sure they are doing it to Daredevil and Captain America fairly soon.

It not only presents a bit of confusion to your average reader in terms of just numbering, but also (imo) would put off new readers who see the high number. It is a reason I never started collecting any of the Supes or Bats titles, because the high number made me feel as if I was jumping in to the middle of something. Whereas a new number #1 would be more attractive to people.

Saying that I also hate pointless renaming/relaunching (like Ulimate Comics Spider-Man #1)

Blitzwing
2009-04-07, 02:29 AM
Ok, I'm not usually a fan of the re-numbering, but I think in this case it is valid.

Exiles was a great book, up until they brought Claremont into it and he ran it into the ground with his stupid inner monologues and lame new characters. I dropped it around New Exiles #7, but had lost interest way before that.

Now that they have a new creative team, they are probobly trying to get as far away from the mess that Claremont made as possible, and a new set of numbering will show fans that that is what they are dedicated to. I know I'm going to give it a shot.

Dead Man Wade
2009-04-07, 04:00 PM
Exiles was a great book, up until they brought Claremont into it and he ran it into the ground with his stupid inner monologues and lame new characters.

Basically the fact that everything he's written for the last decade or so reads like crappy fan-fiction?

Which isn't to say that he was that good to begin with, as his run on Uncanny (while "classic") ranges from passable to unreadable dreck.

Cliffjumper
2009-04-08, 08:07 PM
I dunno, despite the cheesiness I do like Claremont in the 1980s, especially the Australia-era stuff (the "classic" team were very stodgy). It's his recent insistence on moving everything back to the old days that's terrible.

The problem is, Marvel are ran by a fanboy who wants everything back to the way it was when he was a kid...

Dead Man Wade
2009-04-08, 08:54 PM
It's not that the storylines were bad during his run on Uncanny. It's that the characters dialogue was such that everyone was interchangeable. It was only his startlingly realistic foreign-language dialogue that allowed for any difference between Colossus and, say, Nightcrawler.

I mean, if Piotr wasn't constantly running around saying "Boshze Moi", who would ever know he was Russian?