PDA

View Full Version : so, Transmetropolitan...

Prowl1984
2009-04-20, 11:30 AM
I bought the first volume out of curiosity yesterday and just finished reading it. Pretty cool, Spider's a great character and the world it's set in is pretty interesting but does it play out into a bigger story or is it a collection of one-shot social commentaries like the hilarious religion and tv ones? basically would you recommend sticking with it?

Ozz
2009-04-20, 11:47 AM
The bigger story starts in second or third volume, I'm not really sure because I don't know which printings you are buying - apparently they're arranged differently (for example in old TPBs vol. 1 had first three issues and in new ones it has first six, I think).

There are still done-in-one stories later on, too.

zigzagger
2009-04-20, 11:47 AM
but does it play out into a bigger story or is it a collection of one-shot social commentaries like the hilarious religion and tv ones? basically would you recommend sticking with it?
While the occasional one-shots will continue and there's a few smaller threads that will pop up, the events that take place in the first volume (the Transient Riots) will set up some interesting, over-arching stuff by the 3rd volume that kind-of sets the tone for the entire series.

Prowl1984
2009-04-22, 11:18 AM
ah cool. i was hoping the transient riots would play a bigger part. Spider is one of the coolest characters created so i'm glad there's a bigger story. is it still ongoing or has it finished its run?

Halfshell
2009-04-22, 12:22 PM
is it still ongoing or has it finished its run?

Finished in 2002. 60 issues total, with a clear beginning, middle and end.

Dead Man Wade
2009-04-22, 04:22 PM
ah cool. i was hoping the transient riots would play a bigger part.

They do, and they don't. Certain things (Fred Christ, Spider making enemies on the police force) continue throughout the series, but it's not as prevalent as a lot of other events.

Prowl1984
2009-04-26, 06:32 PM
Finished in 2002. 60 issues total, with a clear beginning, middle and end.

fantastic. should be getting volume 2 this week, should have made my mind up about the series after reading that