PDA

View Full Version : Char's Counterattack/Counter Attack

Cliffjumper
2009-05-08, 06:55 AM
Which actually is it? Anyway, I was going to watch ZZ first, but then I found out that they don't really seem to overlap at all, so I watched CCA instead.

Good film, it doesn't set out to do too much, largely sticking to characters we know already so the plot can take precedence. Quess was deeply irritating, as was Hathaway (who seems to be exactly the same character as Letz), but at least the former got killed off nicely. It was nice to have the mature Amuro centre-stage after he was wasted in Zeta (where they did a great job of bringing him back and updating him, only to do absolutely nothing with him), though Char himself was probably a little muted all things considered.

Plus "We can't let Londo Bell take all the credit!" was an awesome moment.

Knightdramon
2009-05-08, 09:44 AM
I simply loved the movie, the mecha designs and the final Amuro\Char confrontation. Whilst they appeared to have reconciled in Zeta [at least the compilation movies], they're at it again in this movie.

Only drawback was that Char got pretty much his ass handed to him by Amuro.

Cliffjumper
2009-05-08, 10:20 AM
I dunno, I lost a fair bit of sympathy for Char, as he basically wants to decimate Earth's population to make a point - as I understood it, most of the elite escaped the planet when the Axis crisis began, meaning he's largely wiping out normal people by the end.

I felt he worked best as Quattro throughout Zeta - my memory of the series, for what it's worth, is that Amuro was still rather unsure of Char even if Char was ready to reconcile, but then Amuro got bundled out of the story before anything really happened, apart from very briefly turning up in that incredibly ugly mobile suit for an episode or so - a Dije, was it?

A New Translation is probably what I'm going to watch over the next few days... Very curious about that - there is a lot of flab to cut from Zeta, but it's mainly the middle 20 episodes, so I'm expecting a lot of the better stuff in the early episodes to probably bite the bullet. Plus from comparing the trilogy of Gundam movies to the series, I'm very wary of there being even more Newtype/Emo dross in there.

Knightdramon
2009-05-08, 04:36 PM
Nah, of the two, I'm more fond of Char in any series they're both in. For the way I see it, even after the speech in Dakar [right?] and all his actions in Zeta, people still slumbered about [to his intentions of awakening newtypes]. That and getting his ass handed to him by the Neo-Zeon pink haired leader probably drove him over the edge in trying to do something drastic.

Surprisingly, there's LESS newtype crap in the Zeta movies [to the extent where some scenes from the still preserved final confrontation make no sense], but lots of cool stuff is cut. To their defense, the ending of the first movie is one of my favourite gundam moments :up:

All in all, I just wish that Char lost with more style in CCA [pretty much like Zeta] rather than the awful beating he got.

Heard about Gundam Unicron? It's going to get animated this year and it's pretty much a continuation of CCA\ UC in general.

Cliffjumper
2009-05-08, 05:07 PM
Yeh, I did hear about that - should be pretty interesting at least.

Don't get me wrong, I could see why Char acted as he did... he just seemed strangely far back in the mix in the first half of the film, and it meant he didn't come out quite as well-rounded as before.