PDA

View Full Version : Pluto by Naoki Urasawa

fantomdranzerx
2009-06-25, 04:07 AM
Has anybody read this manga? It's a retelling of a story arc in Astro Boy (one of my favorite robot animes), but told from another character's point of view. The even more amazing thing about it is that you don't have to be an Astro Boy fan to understand or enjoy it, though being a fan will make some things more fun.

So, anybody read it?

Transformer Kamen
2009-06-26, 11:36 AM
I read it a few months ago, and thoroughly enjoyed it. I didn't know it had anything to do with Astro Boy, beyond the uber-powerful kid robot comparison.

fantomdranzerx
2009-06-26, 02:19 PM
Yeah, there are enough tweaks in the story to set it apart from its source material, but the plot is basically a more mature version of a story in Astro Boy (the original story was titled 'The Greatest Robot on Earth'). The basic plot is the same (a robot named Pluto committing murder around the world), but there are some new things, such as the anti-robot group that's clearly patterned after the KKK, or the Middle Eastern War, that would have definitely been too dark/mature for Astro Boy's original target audience.

Interestingly, Gesicht, the main character in 'Pluto' was only in the Astro Boy story for about ten pages; also, his name there was 'Gerhardt'.

I'm still reading it now, but I'm definitely enjoying it, too, and can't wait to see what will happen next.:)