PDA

View Full Version : Smokescreen really is a beautiful figure, isn't he?

Cliffjumper
2009-07-07, 09:03 PM
Ahhh... I've finally annexed a few shelves in the study, and I'm hooking out a load of figures to fill them up. And man, G1 Smokescreen really is a stunning toy... those colours, that finish, those details, all shiny and new.... Mmmm.

Semi-related: the Autobot cars are tiny, aren't they?

Summerhayes
2009-07-07, 09:09 PM
My natural instinct is to go for Prowl (I like police cars plus he was in the cartoon) when I see that mould, but I could learn to love Smokescreen . . . thats a nice, complex paintjob

Not really, if you compare them to the fire engines and fighter jets . . .

Cliffjumper
2009-07-07, 09:16 PM
Prowl is bloody lovely in the ABS/diecast as well, it has to be said - a real lesson in making black and white look interesting. I'd had a knackered junker for years, but when I got the TFC reissue of him I was just wowed (IIRC, that was the first ever reissue I got as well, so double wow factor - the Takara reissues were gold before the QC slipped, just so fresh and shiny and clean).

Both have been defiled over the years by half-baked homages, sadly...

Notabot
2009-07-07, 09:18 PM

I was sort of noticing how Transformers have grown over the years myself. I was messing around with G1 Optimus, and I realized that that's what leader class used to be. Greater size doesn't always mean greater quality, but I think the price per pound ratio has gotten better with leaders.

Cliffjumper
2009-07-07, 09:31 PM
Yeh,. to my mind size either way isn't really a deciding factor, but they really are quite dinky - well, some of them (I've said it before and I'll say it again - Hound and Inferno at the same price point? There'd be a fatwah out if they tried that now...). There's only an inch or so between some and Minibots...

Savannahtron
2009-07-07, 11:53 PM
I love Smokescreen. I love the G1 and the Classic one is pretty decent too.

Catalyst Dragon
2009-07-10, 05:23 AM
Yeah, when I got a G1 Jazz I was completely suprised at how small he was! He looks like he would be a Basic class figure if repackaged in the Univese line.

The Doctor
2009-07-13, 06:12 AM
I agree that after several years the G1 autobot cars seem very small compared to their recent versions. Of course in the hands of a child they seemed quite large imo.

skywarp408
2009-07-15, 11:03 PM
he's my favorite of the 3

Springer85
2009-07-15, 11:32 PM
He was my very first Transformer ever :)

He sadly broke in half not too long after I got him. I was 4 years old I think and so cruel to my transformers :(

Vin Ghostal
2009-07-16, 12:55 PM
As the G1 toys contained so much more metal, it's not surprising that they were smaller. Put G1 Smokescreen and ROTF Smokescreen on a scale, and I bet the former weighs more even though he's 2/3 the size.

Side note: ROTF Smokescreen is bloody ugly, isn't he? I was never crazy about the Movie Jazz mold, but the least they could have done is jazzed (ha!) it up with a more interesting paint job than mostly dull blue. Additionally, his bio boasts that he confuses Decepticons with "traps and holograms," but makes no mention of using...you know...smokescreens.

ganon578
2009-07-16, 01:12 PM
As the G1 toys contained so much more metal, it's not surprising that they were smaller. Put G1 Smokescreen and ROTF Smokescreen on a scale, and I bet the former weighs more even though he's 2/3 the size.

Side note: ROTF Smokescreen is bloody ugly, isn't he? I was never crazy about the Movie Jazz mold, but the least they could have done is jazzed (ha!) it up with a more interesting paint job than mostly dull blue. Additionally, his bio boasts that he confuses Decepticons with "traps and holograms," but makes no mention of using...you know...smokescreens.

I saw ROTF Smokescreen in Wal-Mart the other day. And yes, that toy is damn ugly. I understand Hasbro wants to fit characters into the movie universe by using darker shades of color for more 'realism', but that thing looks like Smurf puke. :down:

I never owned G1 Smokescreen, so I can't truly comment on the beauty of it, and I don't know if photos would do it justice. However, I have Uni/Classics Smokescreen, and I think he's nifty!

Catalyst Dragon
2009-07-17, 10:44 PM
The RotF one is pretty ugly. I've thought about getting him but only because I like the RotF comic interpretation of him. Probably won't though.

Auntie Slag
2009-07-21, 04:10 PM
I loved the comic interpretation of him in the 'Devastation Derby' story. He was a proper pre-Hot Rod, all jokey and daring. I think it was Will Simpson that drew those issues and they made him look angular, trendy and cool. After that he piled on the pounds and because the fat brother of the three, with stubby shoulder lasers for some reason (I guess everyone was taking their cue from the cartoon series).

Still, it was a great shame Marvel UK (ok fair enough he was good in 'The Legacy of Unicron'), didn't take advantage of the crafty spiv persona in his tech spec. He did look a bit dapper in a way with the paint job and with his goft of the gab 'tech spec', it's a kick in the teeth no-one played on it. It was a promising start with 'Devastation Derby' too.

I would have changed his white missile launchers though, probably chrome to match his gun, or maroon to go with the bodywork, which probably would have looked rubbish because you can't get the same shade of maroon on plastic as you can on metal so...

Ah, I liked Mirage.:)

MeisterAutobotJazz
2009-08-20, 12:21 AM
I broke my G1 Smokescreen's back windows off when I was younger and didn't take care of my figures. I wish I would've kept him in better shape.

Savannahtron
2009-08-20, 02:27 AM
Yeah, I never had any of the Autobot cars, just minis. Funny enough, I was more of a Decepticon fan even as a kid.