PDA

View Full Version : Never mind all that, let's talk about a good comic! [The Muppet Show]

Terome
2009-07-12, 10:09 AM
I feel that I, and many of us here, have wasted far too much time and energy on the latest, and quite wretched, comics offerings of the Transformers franchise of late and would like to instead focus on something worth a damn.

Now, Roger Langridge's The Muppet Show series - there's a bunch of excellently drawn, well plotted and highly enjoyable comics written by a humble and literate gent who I would love to see rise to the top of the industry, though I'd say that the industry doesn't deserve him.

Who is with me?

Roger Langridge's website, http://www.hotelfred.com/ is a gift that gives and gives and gives. His Fred The Clown series is about as good as 'silent' comedy comics get, I'd say.

I am also willing to talk about Captain Britain and MI:13, which is good fun.

AndyTurnbull
2009-07-17, 12:31 PM
It's brilliant stuff. Probably my favourite comic series of the year. He's captured the feel of The Muppet Show perfectly.

Andy

Terome
2009-07-17, 04:24 PM
I'd say that a comic is a more fitting place for Muppet-show hijinx. The sheer volume of cheap puns that can be fit into a single page far outweighs a clunky minute of screen-time, with pauses for laughs. That page with the houses! That is value for money! The gymnastics that Langridge puts the pages through really impresses.

I also love the licence he's taken with some of the character designs. Kermit looks pretty wacky, but he's got the perfect face in every situation. And he draws Gonzo like a really creepy, dishevelled bum. You would believe that he would **** a chicken. There's another avenue of comedy that's been mined most classily in this series - beastiality jokes. Can't have Muppets without em!

It's a bit of a surprise that the 'skit' format isn't used more often in comics nowadays. It works for more than just gags and there are so many opportunities for some beautiful staging. Come to think of it, a lot of Promethea was basically a series of artfully-staged skits, wasn't it?