PDA

View Full Version : Reboot comics and the gimmicks

Starfield
2009-08-04, 11:13 PM
In retrospect, I think it might have been a waste of time for the IDW continuity (I didn't read Dreamwave) to spend so much time on coming up with and explaining in detail how the old screwy gimmicks came about in this universe. The comics should have been like "this story has Powermasters in it. Deal with it!" and just moved on telling the story. I grown to like the old gimmicks, but watching the new explanations get rolled out was kind of painful. And slow. We could have seen more gimmicks if they were just there. It is a shame that a lot of characters were off-limits simply because their gimmick hasn't been introduced yet.

I suppose that would be hard on new readers though.

Warcry
2009-08-05, 02:19 AM
We could have seen more gimmicks if they were just there.
And this would be a good thing why?

It is a shame that a lot of characters were off-limits simply because their gimmick hasn't been introduced yet.
Nightbeat and Hardhead were both used and neither of them ever became Headmasters.

The Technobots and Predacons are funtional units in their respective armies even though they can't combine.

Silverbolt has made numerous appearances with none of the other Aerialbots in sight, and no combining abilities to date.

A whole mountain of Targetmasters (Crosshairs, Sureshot, Pointblank, Scoop, Spinister, probably others even if you don't count Hot Rod, Kup, Blurr and Cyclonus) have shown up without having guns that turn into little men.

Dropshot (inexplicably -- wasn't he already shown as a Micromaster in Spotlight: Hardhead? Regardless...) shows up as a regular-sized Transformer in AHM.

Darkwing and Dreadwind showed up without needing little men to turn into their engines.

Characters who were introduced to push their '80s gimmicks are vastly outnumbers by those who just show up as regular Transformers.

Airazor
2009-08-05, 08:59 AM
inexplicably -- wasn't he already shown as a Micromaster in Spotlight: Hardhead?

Yeah. He was among the scores of Micromaster zombies that assaulted Hardhead and Nightbeat. Another Dropshot? I mean, like Galvatron II or the two Barrages? More likely 'to sell toy', though.

And yeah. Many characters appeared without gimmicks in IDW. Here are some that appeared without their gimmicks and had a nice life...
Headmasters-- Skullcruncher, Hardhead, Nightbeat
Targetmasters-- Crosshairs, Pointblank, Sureshot, Hot Rod, Blurr, Kup, Cyclonus, Triggerhappy, Scoop, Spinister
Powermasters-- Darkwing, Dreadwind and my fave, DOUBLEDEALER!
Pretenders-- Pincher, Gunrunner, Vroom, Roadgrabber, and Bludgeon's crew
Combiners-- Predacons, Technobots, Terrorcons, plus Silverbolt, Blast Off and several other randoms inserted here and there
Action Masters-- pretty much almost everybody had appeared in Spotlight: Arcee. Albeit as cameos.

inflatable dalek
2009-08-05, 10:10 AM
Yeah. He was among the scores of Micromaster zombies that assaulted Hardhead and Nightbeat. Another Dropshot? I mean, like Galvatron II or the two Barrages? More likely 'to sell toy', though.

Probably less headache inducing to assume that, like "Tankor", Micromaster Dropshot doesn't have his original toy name and is instead called Cack.

Lonewyrm
2009-08-05, 03:14 PM
I don't know, I like an attempt to integrate an explanation with the story. I far prefer the IDW Headmaster backstory to the original one. I always found the Marvel origins hasty and forced, I find it hard to believe anyone would willingly give up their own head.

borg72
2009-08-05, 04:10 PM
I thought stormbringer did a pretty bang-up job with thunderwing, pretenders, etc.

and it gives more depth to the characters if you give them some grounding before you start giving them gimmicks.

plus it lets you throw in a curveball, like hun/streaker.

inflatable dalek
2009-08-05, 04:40 PM
plus it lets you throw in a curveball, like hun/streaker.

Yes, giving Sunstreaker a comedy German accent was a hell of a departure.

Starfield
2009-08-05, 06:14 PM
I must say, I really like what they did with Bludgeon's crew, giving them distinctive Pretender shell features on their inner robot mode.

I guess the only characters left are some of the Pretenders and all of the little accessory guys. Let's see some Action Master partners! Sixgun! Scamper! Cog!

The Action Masters are a good point. They are just there without any lead-in. They also never transform, so I suppose I could assume they are Action Masters that are just there without their gimmick being explained in the fiction.

Fort Max was just there and the whole time I expected him to do something, like turn into the brain of the Garrus-9 prison and transform into a giant robot or something. I think they even foreshadowed something like that unless I was reading something into the text that wasn't there.

And females. I almost forgot they invented a new excuse for female Transformers. They are just there in the movie universe. That's kind of what I'm talking about. They could do that for a lot of stuff. Just have it be there.

Dreadwing
2009-08-07, 01:51 AM
And females. I almost forgot they invented a new excuse for female Transformers. They are just there in the movie universe. That's kind of what I'm talking about. They could do that for a lot of stuff. Just have it be there.

I love the IDW excuse for females. Arcee is the first TRANSgendered transformer, lol. And the set up that is was a sick experiment done by Jhiaxus simply for the sake of seeing if he could is awsome.

The new origins of the gimicks makes them seem less gimicky, to me at least. The headmaster idea wasnt just thrown in as a new set of toys came out, and the primary focus of it was on a character who had never even been a headmaster in older fiction. I guess im partial to this becasue I actually like the IDW stories.

Blackjack
2009-08-07, 10:06 AM
I actually like the explanations to the numerous gimmicks in IDW-verse...

Pretender technology makes you super-powerful but insane, and is covered nicely in Stormbringer. Regrettably, the short, comprised nature of Revelations made it go all to hell.

Headmasters is done pretty nicely, although I'd hoped that Scorponok's armies aren't just Sunstreaker clones.

The gimmicks for Dinobots are done pretty nicely as well, unlike Dreamwave's 'they were just there. just accept it and get on with it, so we can show you inflatable robots bonking each other.' In fact, it's better than the cartoon or the original comic origin.

Combiners and Fembots have the best origin by way of Jhiaxus.

Micromasters, to some extent, have an origin as well, although being tiny zombies isn't actually much of a gimmick. I hope their gimmickry would be explained later on.

The Action Masters? I never liked their gimmick, and it's a shame. There are so many interesting AM characters (Banzaitron, Kick-Off, Mainframe, Gutcruncher...) which could be excellent characters had they been used. Ah well.

Commander Shockwav
2009-08-10, 07:10 PM
The gimmicks for Dinobots are done pretty nicely as well, unlike Dreamwave's 'they were just there. just accept it and get on with it, so we can show you inflatable robots bonking each other.' In fact, it's better than the cartoon or the original comic origin.

I don't think you can beat the Dinobot origin from Marvel, i.e. the Ark, damaged by the impact of crashing into St. Hilary, because of glitch mistakenly identifies the Dinobots as being the preeminent mechanical species on the planet. This explanation made such a stupid concept actually quite cool.