PDA

View Full Version : RotF Sideways

Cliffjumper
2009-09-02, 03:10 PM
Damn, my parents picked me up one of these as a present, but mine's defective - instead of feet, there are just these two tiny little notches to support the figure :(

Halfshell
2009-09-02, 03:29 PM
Perhaps he's SO AWESOME that he doesn't need feet?

Cliffjumper
2009-09-02, 08:22 PM
Aye, dainty little toesies aside he's actually not bad, in that "won't put it down for a week, then will never pick it up again" Transformers way. Trying to resist going mad on movie toys at the moment, and largely failing (just got '07 Ironhide and '74 Bumblebee; desperately trying not to buy Sideswipe, Ratchet and Jolt).

Clay
2009-09-02, 08:24 PM
Don't bother with Ratchet.

Otherwise I'll just say, "I told you so" later.

Cliffjumper
2009-09-02, 08:30 PM
But he's awesome in the film :( He needs to hang around with Ironhide and set up his mate's best lines.

Why do I always decide to recreate the movie's cast just as they start to disappear from the shelves?

Also, have they done a decent Prime yet? Possibly one that is (to the naked eye) to scale with the aforementioned lot?

Clay
2009-09-02, 09:04 PM
Leader #2 (http://www.tfarchive.com/toys/reviews/rotf_optimus.php) is a chore the first couple of times you switch it, but it's spot-on in either form.

Cliffjumper
2009-09-02, 09:19 PM
Groovy... severely tempted by that. How is he size-wise compared to Ironhide?

Knightdramon
2009-09-02, 09:27 PM
He's bigger than the first movie's Prime, who's bigger than Ironhide...so they should still look fairly in scale.

Ratchet's not too bad a figure [says the guy who sold him last year], but he does look a bit odd when next to his other movie-mates. There's a deluxe version coming out that shouldn't be as bad.

Rattrap's tail
2009-09-03, 12:05 AM
Why trying to not buy Swipey?? He's great... And if you're going to recreate movie scenes, you'll need him for cutting your poor feet-missing Sideways in half and then saying; Damn, I'm good!

Clay
2009-09-03, 03:00 AM
Groovy... severely tempted by that. How is he size-wise compared to Ironhide?

Suitably larger. (http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f303/claywyatt1982/prime.jpg)

Pun-3X
2009-09-03, 05:40 AM
Yeah, he's way up there in size. But he is the best match for Movie Prime. They really went out of their way to redesign the guy to make him look just like his on-screen counterpart. I had no intentions of getting one at first ("Too Many Primes" syndrome), but I caved and bought him. He really is a great figure--especially once you get used to his transformation.

Although I'd recommend taking the batteries out. His "I am Optimus Prime!" Automorph Mech-Alive activation tends to trigger the whole time you're transforming him.

Cliffjumper
2009-09-03, 05:46 AM
He doesn't say "I'll take you all on!"? Awww :(

Sadly he seems to be a lot of money, a bit more than I'm necessarily willing to gamble on a Hasbro/Takara toy. I trust Bandai on that sort of amount, but not really Transformers... I might try to find one in the stores to have a look at before I take the plunge...

Savannahtron
2009-09-03, 12:20 PM
I am not sure about the deluxe version, as I did not pick it up. The Human Alliance one looks good, but I have no plans to pick it up either.

I think that is cool your folks picked a TF for you for your present. I love my mom, but she always gets me some weird gift like collectible toy cars. I tried to explain to her that I do not collect toy cars, but TFs (which she used to buy me as a kid). This year she gave me a really cool art book, and I love it.

Halfshell
2009-09-03, 01:56 PM
I nearly bought ROTF Ravage yesterday. But I didn't because I figured that four steaks was a far more practical thing to spend the cash on.

I'm cool with it.

Cliffjumper
2009-09-03, 02:22 PM
I think that is cool your folks picked a TF for you for your present. I love my mom, but she always gets me some weird gift like collectible toy cars. I tried to explain to her that I do not collect toy cars, but TFs (which she used to buy me as a kid). This year she gave me a really cool art book, and I love it.

The secret is to smoke.

"Do you want anything from America?"
"Oh, yeh, get me some duty free cigarettes please"
"No, you know we don't like you smoking. Something else."
"ROTF Sideways?"
"Well, it's better than cigarettes..."

Cliffjumper
2009-09-03, 04:30 PM
Okay, got Sideswipe and Bumblebee...

Sideswipe is pretty cool, though once again feet are a problem - no point in putting that many joints in the legs if the thing's prone to unbalancing. Plus the face just looks unpainted... Plus side he has giant kid-safe scissors on his arms.

Bumblebee... I probably wouldn't have bought if I realised he permanently has a gun instead of a right hand (one of those ones with a comical 'energy' missile to boot). Not sure if I'm just out of practice (had the first '08 deluxe until about a year ago, then sold it for 30) or if it's the usual shitty instructions or just complete design failure, but the back end of the car doesn't seem to go together all that well. And the waist seems really, really loose.

Clay
2009-09-03, 06:48 PM
Sideswipe is pretty cool, though once again feet are a problem - no point in putting that many joints in the legs if the thing's prone to unbalancing. Plus the face just looks unpainted... Plus side he has giant kid-safe scissors on his arms.

If you rotate the feet around 180 degrees so that the backs become the toes, he stands up like 90% better.

Cliffjumper
2009-09-03, 06:54 PM
Oooh, good tip! He's really growing on me, actually, nifty fig. Now, if only Sideways split down the middle...

How big is Leader Brawl compared to this lot? I think I need a fight scene, but most of the Decepticon figures are shite - is toy Brawl a big bruiser compared to this lot?

Oh, UKers might want to note that Sainsburys have RotF Superion for 15, which is apparently half price. Still a bit much for three UT figures for me, but there's a heads-up for anyone with less taste :)

Clay
2009-09-03, 07:18 PM
Leader Brawl? He's the same scale as the Concept Bumblebee, (http://www.tfarchive.com/toys/reviews/mov_brawl2.php) at around 1/36. I haven't been as interested with the second movie stuff to figure out scales, but I'd guess he's still about right stacked against deluxe cars.

I've mellowed on the figure since I wrote that review, but it's still neat enough to hang around in a box in the closet, if not enough to actually stay on the shelf.

Cliffjumper
2009-09-04, 12:34 AM
Awesome, that's what I'm after, if I can find one at a decent price... Probably going to skip Prime - I'd have to buy Megatron, Starscream and Grindor as well... Bought Jolt and Jazz on ebay. Jolt I'm just weirdly fascinated by - anyone expecting him to even be in the third one? He's like the Movieverse answer to G1 Skids. And Jazz seems to be very cheap, which sort of softens the blow...

I would be tempted by Bonecrusher, but I'm guessing him being Deluxe maximum means he's miles out of scale with the others, right? Bad move, I'd be all over a Voyager Bonecrusher. I'd go for Blackout, but he seems to be pricey.

With Ratchet, if I was to take the plunge despite all warnings, which one is more accurate - the first one or the RotF one? Pictures of both seem to be wildly different colours ranging from Constructicon green through to yellow, but I'm guessing the tone used just isn't very photogenic...

Got my groove back with Bumblebee too, though that gun arm is a real bad move both from an aesthetic and design point of view. I also had to cut a couple of tabs off so the back end would fit together securely - this is why I'm very hesitant to spend more than 20 on a figure from the range...

Pun-3X
2009-09-04, 03:36 AM
Awesome, that's what I'm after, if I can find one at a decent price... Probably going to skip Prime - I'd have to buy Megatron, Starscream and Grindor as well...

While I understand that dilemma, you really should try to pick one up at some point. I'm sure your willpower will prevent the other purchases.

I would be tempted by Bonecrusher, but I'm guessing him being Deluxe maximum means he's miles out of scale with the others, right? Bad move, I'd be all over a Voyager Bonecrusher. I'd go for Blackout, but he seems to be pricey.

Blackout would be a better buy over BC. Although his back chopper portion tends to not click together very securely. Don't have Grindor, but I'm thinking the same is probably true. Bonecrusher being a deluxe almost feels more like a basic. Kind of in between the sizes and rather disappointing as a result. I mean, if you found one cheap in some lot it wouldn't be a bad find, but I wouldn't recommend putting a whole lot of effort into it.

With Ratchet, if I was to take the plunge despite all warnings, which one is more accurate - the first one or the RotF one? Pictures of both seem to be wildly different colours ranging from Constructicon green through to yellow, but I'm guessing the tone used just isn't very photogenic...

The first-year version is the closest. Though I'm with Clay. Specifically, wait until the deluxe comes out. At the very least, if the deluxe one isn't all that it has a decent chance of driving Voyager Ratchet's price down a bit more.

Clay
2009-09-04, 03:39 AM

Bonecrusher is one of my favorite robot toys period. He's just got that monstrous, Cloverfield vibe to him that works so well. However, no, he is not in scale with any movie Prime figure to get properly decapitated. :(

I made a trip to the store today and they've put leader toys on markdown to $35. I can hook you up if you're merely aiming to be thrifty, assuming the pound-to-dollar ratio is still two-to-one.

Pun-3X
2009-09-04, 05:23 PM
I think it's fluctuating around 1.55-ish right now. (Bank manager had her kids come back from the U.K. and was exchanging currency)

And I dunno, I can't say I personally prefer my TFs Cloverfieldish. (nothing wrong with that monster/movie) The particular drawback I had were his arms..they were way too alien-organic than robot. In the end, I suppose it's a matter of whether that works for you or not. But I'll reiterate the scale issue--no harm getting him if he's dirt cheap, otherwise...meh.

Cliffjumper
2009-09-04, 05:34 PM
I'm sure your willpower will prevent the other purchases.

Like the way I bought that Gobot for a laugh a few years back, yeh? :o

Blackout would be a better buy over BC. Although his back chopper portion tends to not click together very securely. Don't have Grindor, but I'm thinking the same is probably true. Bonecrusher being a deluxe almost feels more like a basic. Kind of in between the sizes and rather disappointing as a result. I mean, if you found one cheap in some lot it wouldn't be a bad find, but I wouldn't recommend putting a whole lot of effort into it.

Bonecrusher is one of my favorite robot toys period. He's just got that monstrous, Cloverfield vibe to him that works so well. However, no, he is not in scale with any movie Prime figure to get properly decapitated. :(

Yeh, I think the vehicle mode's scale issues with Bonecrusher would just be too much of an issue for me (incidentally, you're a magician masking that in your photo comic. I do love the look of the guy - he was the only Legends figure I got that I didn't instantly regret spending money on (I think it took about three hours for the regret to kick in, which is a record for that bracket... though a Legends Wheelie would be nice...)

Regarding the Pave Lows, it's just a shame Grindor looks basically nothing like he does in the film; even if they couldn't really just redo Blackout, something a little closer (maybe more in grey than blue) would probably have done the job for me in either case.

The first-year version is the closest. Though I'm with Clay. Specifically, wait until the deluxe comes out. At the very least, if the deluxe one isn't all that it has a decent chance of driving Voyager Ratchet's price down a bit more.

Deluxe will be too small :o I'm going to see if I can get one for around half the RRP for Ratchet, and not kid myself it's anything other than completism.

I made a trip to the store today and they've put leader toys on markdown to $35. I can hook you up if you're merely aiming to be thrifty, assuming the pound-to-dollar ratio is still two-to-one.

Wow, that'd be cool - that's about a third of British RRP, let alone the hassle of actually finding one (I have to go a fair distance to find anywhere with a decent selection). Only thing is most of my disposable is tied up in bidding for other figures :(

Clay
2009-09-04, 07:24 PM
And I dunno, I can't say I personally prefer my TFs Cloverfieldish. (nothing wrong with that monster/movie) The particular drawback I had were his arms..they were way too alien-organic than robot.

Nor do I, but for one figure I'll go for it.

Wow, that'd be cool - that's about a third of British RRP, let alone the hassle of actually finding one (I have to go a fair distance to find anywhere with a decent selection). Only thing is most of my disposable is tied up in bidding for other figures :(

Well, holler when it isn't. They've got enough Primes and Megatrons piled up to last a while.

Rattrap's tail
2009-09-04, 11:11 PM
Awesome, that's what I'm after, if I can find one at a decent price... Probably going to skip Prime - I'd have to buy Megatron, Starscream and Grindor as well... Bought Jolt and Jazz on ebay. Jolt I'm just weirdly fascinated by - anyone expecting him to even be in the third one? He's like the Movieverse answer to G1 Skids. And Jazz seems to be very cheap, which sort of softens the blow...

Got my groove back with Bumblebee too, though that gun arm is a real bad move both from an aesthetic and design point of view. I also had to cut a couple of tabs off so the back end would fit together securely - this is why I'm very hesitant to spend more than 20 on a figure from the range...

Ratchet was Neon-Green in the movie, so you need the first one. But if I were you, I would rather wait tosee how the deluxe will be. There are plenty of First -movie Rachtets so that chanche won't run away in a few months. And about BB, it's just a mere example of an overused mold and I guess some bad luck as well, since I've never heard of that one before.

You're right on Bonecrusher, I would've loved to see him getting a bigger toy, but please don't buy Blackout/Grindor. He's about as bad as movie-1 SS when you really think about it, due to his Automorph. And then I just Ignore thefa ct he's one of the biggest out-of scale toys I know...

Cliffjumper
2009-09-07, 01:42 PM
Jazz arrived today and, y'know, he's not actually that bad. The arms are a bit of a fail, but he can stand up nine times out of ten and actually make use of his joints. My only real regret is that I was a complete cheapo and went for the final battle version - didn't realise how much the "battle damage" that cleverly resembles nothing that happened to him in the film would ruin the look of the figure. Bah.

Detective Barricade
2009-09-15, 08:23 PM
Yeah, Bonecrusher is way out of scale.