PDA

View Full Version : [Original RPG] Can actionmasters have alt modes?

unonu
2009-09-04, 05:44 AM
My first post here. I'm interested in the RPG but was wondering if I play an Actionmaster character if they really have to be non-transforming. As far as I know it was never dealt with explicitly in any of the continuities (except maybe Japanese, Nucleon Quest?) and if it is implied then some of the main G1 characters recovered from it already (ex. Tracks, Optimus, etc.). Non transforming Transformers was a pretty silly idea to begin with, but a lot of the characters are great. Also do Targetmaster sidekicks count as separate characters?

Blackjack
2009-09-04, 11:36 AM
Well, from what I know...

Action Masters are awesome characters. In the Marvel comics, I think the Nucleon's side effect for the 'main characters' (OP, Grimlock etc) wore out (leading the AM characters to, um, evolve into their G2 bodies...) or are ignored completely.

Who exactly are you thinking of claiming? In the RPG I've seen Action Masters being described as upgraded into transforming (Slicer? But then he has a car exosuit...) or having their transformation abilities stripped off completely (Kick-Off; Sprocket) and forcibly by other means. Some (Banzaitron, Axer, Charger) are never shown to be transforming as far as I can read/see. But then, it's up to the mods... I'm not too sure about the things, as I don't exactly control an Action Master myself.

EDIT: Oh, wait. Technically I do. Bombshell's transformation cog has been, um, donated to the Constructicons, so he's in his Action master, non-transformable body. My Bombshell cannot transform.

Targetmaster sidekicks count as 'attached' NPCs. You control them, but they don't count into your total.

Halfshell
2009-09-04, 02:23 PM
Omega Spreem, Windmill, Double Punch and Turbo Master were Action Masters with alt modes.

No idea of their relation to the RPG, though.

Warcry
2009-09-04, 09:20 PM
When I played Treadshot he transformed to gun mode, like, eight times, so I've got nothing against Action Masters transforming. I actually prefer them that way, I think, but it's up to the individual player to make the call on whether or not they want their character to be able to transform.

Omega Spreem, Windmill, Double Punch and Turbo Master were Action Masters with alt modes.

No idea of their relation to the RPG, though.
Double Punch was around for a while and we just treated him like a normal Transformer. The others have never showed up at all.

Targetmaster sidekicks count as 'attached' NPCs. You control them, but they don't count into your total.
Sort of. Actionmaster partners are considered actual characters now, so you could claim them on their own if you wanted to. You don't have to take them along with their full-sized counterpart if you don't want to, either (but we don't count them against your character total if you do).

unonu
2009-09-05, 07:58 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. I was thinking of taking up Rad and Lionizer but was hoping he could have an alt mode. Now i just need to figure out what he transforms into. Seeing as how he is an aerospace engineer some kind of jet or spacecraft seems appropriate but his robot mode looks more like it would be a car or hovering thing, any suggestions?

Warcry
2009-09-05, 08:03 PM
It doesn't look like he has wheels, so my first guess would be some sort of Cybertronian hovercar.

optimusskids
2009-09-05, 08:13 PM
I always thought he looked like he might turn into some kind of motorcycle of or in this case possibly Hovercycle.

Blackjack
2009-09-06, 03:44 AM
Rad... That's a nice character. I figured he would turn into something like the unimotorcycle IDW's Road Rocket (Spotlight Galvatron) turns into...

Airazor
2009-09-12, 01:47 AM
When I played Treadshot he transformed to gun mode, like, eight times, so I've got nothing against Action Masters transforming. I actually prefer them that way, I think, but it's up to the individual player to make the call on whether or not they want their character to be able to transform.

So, if I wanted Jackpot to transform into car mode (it's obvious with him), I can?

Warcry
2009-09-15, 04:28 AM
I wouldn't see any problem with it.

zigzagger
2009-09-15, 05:34 AM
I like the challenge that playing non-transforming characters pose (yeah, this extends to non-Actionmaster characters like Cerebros too), but to each their own and all that. It has given me opportunities to explore the Actionmaster premise a teeny bit - stupid as it is - in that a Cybertronian can exchange the ability to transform for stronger bodies. In the case of Banzaitron and Axer, it gave them higher endurance and super-speed. I've seen folks around the RPG do similar with Pretender characters too.

....Then again, I tend to not have my transforming characters transform all that often, anyway. Transformation is more of convenience than anything else for me.

Though, I will admit, while I had no issue moving Axer about since I had it set up to where he could remotely summon his turbo-cycle, there are some Actionmasters that don't have the luxury of a vehicle/jetpack/skateboard/etc to move around quicker. I will also admit that Axer needing a bike to get him from place to place was a limitation - one that Dealer exploited (i.e. he blew it up).