PDA

View Full Version : [Brend finally discovers KO Dinobots]

Halfshell
2009-09-15, 10:32 AM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tansformers-Grimlock-SNARL-SLAG-SWOOP-SLUDGE-MISB_W0QQitemZ170382007149QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_ToysGames_ActionFigures_ActionFigures_JN?hash=item27ab8f1b6d&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

"Remake"? Knock-offs? Suspicious reissues? Crock of shit? My common sense is tingling...

Cliffjumper
2009-09-15, 01:37 PM
The Chinese bootlegs are the best thing to happen, ever. The moulds are avaliable to more people, and at around the price of a reissue, thus devaluing the originals, which is ace. At the same time, they have miniscule differences from the originals, meaning sad twats who bought the things solely for monetary value can still tell them apart. The quality is dynamite too - I own Mirage (http://counter-x.net/tf/autobot_cars/mirage.html) and Wheeljack (http://counter-x.net/tf/autobot_cars/wheeljack.html), and the finishing (mould sharpness, paint apps, joints) is actually better than Encore (plus the bootleggers don't **** with parts for no good reason).

The only problem with them is ebay's pathetic policy which means sellers have to basically lie if they want to list them. For the boots, http://www.ioffer.com is the best source - better prices, just use a bit of common sense when buying (i.e. avoid low feedback sellers offering them for half the price of everyone else).

Halfshell
2009-09-15, 01:47 PM
So actual knock-offs, to the degree of even the packaging? That's ace!

Shame I don't have a hundred and fifty quid, but still.

Cliffjumper
2009-09-15, 02:15 PM
Yup, it's brilliant stuff - tech specs, decoder, instructions, the lot. It seems as though this lot were the highly trained ninja force who broke into Takara's headquarters in an Ocean's 16-stylee heist, escaping with giant steel moulds hidden under hats, down trousers, in wheelchairs with faces drawn on them, etc, etc, as their output basically consists of all the early stuff Takara didn't give a shit about until five years ago (Sunstreaker is imminent).

That said, I have no idea how quality goes from toy to toy... Individual Dinobots are about 30 a pop on IOffer. Sellers don't generally seem to be trying to pass them off as originals and asking stupid money.

With the ebay thing, considering unconvincing KOs seem to fly, the problem is probably entirely due to sad twats who paid 150 for their Wheeljack reporting the listings...

Halfshell
2009-09-15, 02:20 PM
I genuinely had no idea about this. I mean I knew there were decent quality KOs about, but wowzers, the scale of that operation is superb.

All I was after was a cheap Animated Grimlock (never forgiven myself for ignoring the ones John Lewis were flogging for a tenner a year ago), and I stumble upon this. Muwahahaha. If only I had cash.

Clay
2009-09-15, 03:58 PM
Yeah, don't these top-notch bootlegs from China consist of exactly the same toys that were licensed to a Chinese company in the early 1990s? It may simply be a matter of them actually keeping their copies of the molds in usable condition, even if not bothering to renew the license.

Cliffjumper
2009-09-15, 04:39 PM
Are you possibly suggesting they're more competant and professional than Takara? Such a company cannot exist...

As far as I can gather, these are the same lot who started off with the MOSC Minibots that ended up AFA-graded despite having spelling errors on the card text. Crack Transfan nerds took massive pictures of said errors and meticulously picked the discrepancies apart (kinda missing out the toys being so close to the originals as to be as good as) - which means the bootleggers found out where they went wrong and corrected things for the next batch.

Long story short, the only reason these things are different from reissues is that a percentage of money doesn't go to the guys who lost the moulds in the first place...

Denyer
2009-09-15, 06:06 PM
Shall we put this in the Toys section?

inflatable dalek
2009-09-15, 06:18 PM
I'm definitely going to get a Grimlock as and when I have cash. Possibly a Swoop as well in order to get the complete "Dinobots who did things" collection.

Cliffjumper
2009-09-15, 06:41 PM
Mmm, the Dinobots as a whole are very tempting... Diaclones just look so much better with full accessories, shiny chrome and crisp stickers.

They've also done Devastator and Shockwave, a/o. Keep an eye out for mental variants like the Pink Slag, too. Hopefully they'll do the police Sunstreaker...

inflatable dalek
2009-09-15, 06:48 PM
Shockwave? Damn. Hopefully HasTak will keep turning a blind eye.

Cliffjumper
2009-09-15, 07:40 PM
Not entirely sure what they can really do about it - they'd have to find them first, and the address listed on the back of the box is for a certain Rhode Island-based corporation. Takara can't afford to employ anyone for quality control, I doubt they can spare anyone to comb over all the factories in China...

inflatable dalek
2009-09-16, 09:18 PM
Not entirely sure what they can really do about it - they'd have to find them first, and the address listed on the back of the box is for a certain Rhode Island-based corporation. Takara can't afford to employ anyone for quality control, I doubt they can spare anyone to comb over all the factories in China...

I was thinking more of them getting auctions on Ebay (I'm not sure if they'd be able to do the same with Ioffer) shut down. Though I suppose if these are coming from the same factories as the 90's Chinese stuff it wouldn't be that hard to find them, even if Takara have lost the records there's bound to be someone on the wiki who knows.

Ohhhhhhhh, unless in teh awesome twist it is actually Hasbro putting these out.

Halfshell
2009-09-18, 11:10 AM
I may not be able to afford knock-offs of the proper Dinobots, but I've just compensated myself by buying a set of the WSTF versions. Wooha!

This toy-collecting malarkey is so much simpler if you just rigidly limit what you buy, isn't it?

Also found me a loose/mint/complete Animated Grimlock for a tenner, which rounds out that trio, too. Niftyfun.

I almost regret selling my Energon Dinobots... but then I remember that they were ****ing awful and I was embarrassed to display them on their own merits, so I definitely wouldn't put them near proper toys of the characters... and all becomes fine again.